PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Football Memories.

Moejoe
15-12-05, 11:18 PM
I was thinking earkier what were some of the best times I had when watching former Gold coast teams playing. Although most of mine relate to the chargers, as I can only vividly remember the teams prior to that. So letus know what your memories are, As we get set to embark on a new chapter in the Gold coast NRL team.

For me somethings that really stick out for me are. The first ever Chargers game against North Sydney Bears. Only for the fact that I got caught on channel 9 and my grandfather saw me smoking a ciggarette (The lecture the next day is something i will never forget)

Big Marty Bella. This guy was huge. I will never forget his retirement lap around Carrara stadium ( I didnt think he would make it, The guy barley made 3 hitups before being interchanged ((God bless unlimited interchange))

The parramatta Supporter who stole the Cheerleaders golf cart and did laps of the stadium mid game, Being chased by security. (As funny as it was at the time, And just suddenly out of the blue, It was very dangerous for all involved and they guy got his in the end)

Many nights in the members bar after a game (My uncle and I Actually stole a plate of food for the players from manly and we went down to the sheds below and gave them the food, We also recieved Auto graphs and what not. The biggest supprise to me was seeing Cliffy lions chain smoking like a chimmeny)

My members ticket, I had the seat right behing the Big K (Famous Gold coast radio announcer for the non gold coasters or people not of this generation)

Refereeing the u/7 at half time of most games. as well as other games I refereed prior to the main game. Meet some inspiring refs in the sheds because of my fortunate hobby) Dave manson and Tim Mander two that stick out like sore thumbs.

Anyway I could go on forever here, But i will leave the rest to you guys. What are your fondest memories of our beloved Gold Coast teams.

Titanium_BD1103
16-12-05, 08:09 AM
Well, seeing I am from Sydney I can only remember what I saw on TV. The things I remember are Wally Lewis last game as a Seagull, Captain Charger dancing around the field on the TV telecast of Chargers games.. LOL he was funny.

As for moments, I remember Wes Patten streaking down the field to score a try for the Chargers, Martin Bella and of course the famous Green, Yellow and Purple of the Chargers at Carrara with the fans cheering behind them and massive Chandlers signs in the background.. way too big for the ground IMO.. :D :D

Those were good times, lets hope that when the Titans return in 2007 we can have memories like these if not better.. :)

Dakink
16-12-05, 08:17 AM
I remember going to the old Seagulls stadium (now a reitrement home) to watch them go arond v the Dragons in the days of Ricky Walford and co.

Sitting the stand banging our feet on the floor - the ground was nice and close - man it was an amzing atmosphere. The game was a sell out - had an absolute ball.

Eel 33
16-12-05, 10:42 AM
I hear you Dakink. The former Seagulls Stadium, enough said. :clap: :clap:

Teegy
16-12-05, 11:00 AM
I remember going to the old Seagulls stadium (now a reitrement home) to watch them go arond v the Dragons in the days of Ricky Walford and co.

Sitting the stand banging our feet on the floor - the ground was nice and close - man it was an amzing atmosphere. The game was a sell out - had an absolute ball.
i remeber those days. i was also their for the kings last home game

DeeGan
16-12-05, 11:05 AM
Well where do I start without starting a mini-novel on my love affair with the 3 previous Gold Coast teams?

Most of my memories stem from home, here we go:

- Back in 1988 I remember the excitement shared by my father and uncles when we appointed Bob McCarthy as coach, Graeme Langlands as team manager, with Ken Irvine as sprint coach - "what a trio to form our off-field team" was the common belief, who could argue?

- The buzz when signings were announced was just about cause for clebration around our house hold. Names like Chris Close, Bob Lidner, Wally Lewis, Brent Todd, Dale Shearer, Steve Jackson and Paul Martin to name a few gave us all hope despite the limited success we had on the field.

- WALLY LEWIS NAMED CAPTAIN/COACH IN 1992! Enough said - the greatest player of all time in my books at the helm was flat out exciting for all.

- The junior talent that we unearthed as a club, names like : Kevin Campion, Wayne Bartrim, Jamie Goddard, Jason Hetherington, Scott Sattler, Adrian Vowles and Terry Cook all played Origin representing the Gold Coast.

- Ben Ikin being named in the Queensland side after only a handful of games for the Gold Coast - all youngsters on the Coast sat up and took notice :)

- 1997 ARL competition - achieving our best ever result by securing 7th position and earning a spot in the play-offs. Captained by former Test player Graham Mackay, the historic side for the first semi-final included Andrew King, Marcus Bai, Wes Patten, Martin Bella and Scott Sattler. We won 25-14!

- May 27, 2005 - David Gallop awards us the coveted 16th license for entry in to the 2007 competition.

DeeGan

panther4eva
24-12-05, 12:20 AM
Yeah i only remember the last one coz i was 2 young 4 the rest.

League Freak
24-12-05, 05:39 AM
Im pretty sure the first game I ever went to was Penrith vs the Gold Coast.

I remember Wally Lewis was the coach and the crowd was giving him HEAPS. I went with my Grandfather and sat in the Western Stand....good stuff.

panther4eva
24-12-05, 09:42 AM
Who won?

DeeGan
24-12-05, 10:01 AM
Who won?

I would hazard a guess the game was played late 80's to early 90's with the Penrith Panthers winning - right League Freak?

DeeGan