PDA

View Full Version : Round 20: St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
19-07-10, 12:19 AM
St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/dragonsvstitans.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/dragons.gif

1 Darius Boyd, 2 Brett Morris, 3 Beau Scott, 4 Matt Cooper, 5 Jason Nightingale, 6 Jamie Soward, 7 Ben Hornby [c], 8 Matt Prior, 9 Luke Priddis, 10 Jon Green, 11 Neville Costigan, 12 Ben Creagh, 13 Dean Young. Subs: 14 Trent Merrin, 15 Jeremy Smith, 16 Nick Emmett, 17 Jarrod Saffy, 18 Ricky Thorby, 19 Mark Gasnier (two to be omitted).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/titans.jpg

1 Preston Campbell, 2 Kevin Gordon, 3 Steve Michaels, 4 Clinton Toopi, 5 William Zillman, 6 Mat Rogers, 7 Scott Prince [c], 8 Luke Bailey, 9 Nathan Friend, 10 Michael Henderson, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Bodene Thompson. Subs: 14 Matthew White, 15 Brad Meyers, 16 Ben Ridge, 17 Luke O'Dwyer, 19 Shannon Walker (one to be omitted).

Surfers6
19-07-10, 01:48 PM
Any one agree with this?

1 S.Walker
2 K.Gordon
3 M.Rogers
4 E.Tonga
5 W.Zillman
6 P.Campbell
7 S.Prince
8 L.Bailey
9 N.Friend
10 M.Henderson
11 A.Laffranchi
12 B.Thompson
13 A.Harrison

14 B.Meyers
15 M.Minichello
16 R.James
17 L.Odwyer

im hoping something like this.

lonegull
19-07-10, 02:02 PM
cooper's meant to back for the dragons I wonder where Gasnier will play

I hope Esi comes into the side, although did he play Q cup on the weekend

Coaster
19-07-10, 03:15 PM
Will be happy if we keep 13 on the park for 80min this week.

patskE
19-07-10, 04:16 PM
cant see mini being on the bench instead of bodey
but yeh. not a bad looking side
i hope they play gaz, he dont look like he can do anything LOL
hopefully we see tonga make his comeback

DIEHARD
19-07-10, 06:43 PM
Walker eager for run at fullback

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/07/19/JKHGFDS_WEB_PHOTO_M8616186_41596.JPG
Titans fullback-in-waiting Shannon Walker listens as coach John Cartwright gives him advice Picture: Luke Marsden

SHANNON Walker understands chances don't come along very often.

On the cusp of greatness two years ago, unwanted hype, pressure and injuries proved a curse as Walker failed to reach the heights many expected of him.

But after a sublime match-winning effort at the back for Tweed Heads on Saturday, the 22-year-old sent a reminder to Titans fans and coach John Cartwright he was ready for another chance as the club prepares for a torrid fight to save their season.

Scoring a try in Tweed's convincing 32-6 thumping of Queensland Cup leaders Souths Logan, Walker looked like a man covered in grease, scorching his way downfield with several big line busts and breaking tackles at will.

Declaring yesterday he was a 'different player' to the Shannon Walker of 2008, the Kyogle junior looms as a simple solution to the Titans latest injury worries with regular fullback Preston Campbell tipped to wear the No.6 vacated by Greg Bird, who could be out for action for up to six weeks with a torn hamstring.

"I've been waiting for a while and I'm happy to put my hand up if the big man (Cartwright) calls me up," said Walker when asked if he would be better prepared for the rigours of the NRL.

"I felt the pressure a bit (in 2008) and because I didn't get a good run it wasn't really what I expected.

"Then when all the injuries came it put a bit of doubt in my mind, that resulted in more pressure building up and it kept going.

"But things seem to be starting to work out. The footy has been good, the training has been good and I'm trying to show more consistency because that's what Carty wants."

Walker was tipped to take the NRL by storm after being named the Queensland Cup player of the year when he helped Tweed Heads land the premiership in 2007.

But Walker's top-flight career stalled after he failed to fire in three appearances for the Titans a season later and he then spent a fair chunk of 2009 sidelined with a hamstring tear.

With his confidence, speed and ability to break a game apart returning, Walker could be the man to bring an added dimension to the Titans' attack, which was branded 'flat and predictable' by their fans after Friday's 24-10 loss to the Broncos.

Walker said if the experience of the past two years had taught him anything, it was that he had to make the most of his chances.

"You don't get many shots as I've learnt," he said.

"I only had three shots the first time so you have to make the most of it."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
19-07-10, 06:52 PM
I would love to see Shannon Walker at #5. I'm confident he can handle a wing position in the NRL.

eelectrica
19-07-10, 06:56 PM
Titans have to try something. If form warrants then why not give Shannon Walker another shot. Getting to the do or die stage now and the Dragons defence is the toughest in the comp.

patskE
19-07-10, 08:58 PM
bloody oki is 5 min drive from where i live.
but noooo sister's 21st same night ahah
sucks

teke
19-07-10, 11:45 PM
Carty ya @#$#t give Walker a run, Im sick of hearing about the Haynetrain.

Its time we introduced real excitement into the NRL. Im writing this week off as a loss and most ppl would agree so there is no reason why we cant give this young man a go. He is ready.

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 01:12 PM
Not long now until the team is named.

I'm hoping for Esi and Walker.

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 01:32 PM
Wayne's wall even tougher this year

It only takes one glance to see that the similarities are amazing.
St George Illawarra's 2010 season is a virtual carbon copy of this time last year.

After 19 rounds, the Dragons are 13 wins and four losses. Their points differential is almost identical.

St George Illawarra are sitting pretty atop the NRL ladder with 30 competition points, with a for-and-against of positive 189. At this time last year it was positive 181.

But while the early-season talk was of coach Wayne Bennett trying to boost their attacking firepower, the basic statistics suggest they're actually a better defensive team than 12 months ago.

Wayne's wall has conceded just 182 points, or 10.7 per game, compared to 230, or 13.5 per game, in 2009. But will history repeat?

With seven weeks until the finals, Dragons fans are being careful not to talk about a breakthrough premiership after last year's spectacular crash resulted in five losses in their last six games.

Entering the crucial period of the year which will make or break their season, young prop Trent Merrin said the team wasn't carrying the burden of last year's failure.

"It's always in the back of your mind, what happened last year," he said. "But it's a new year and all the boys are taking it week by week, and it's not a burden.

"We're bringing the game on every week and worrying about winning, not so much (about) what happened last year."

Merrin's reassurance comes as the Dragons prepare to face a desperate Gold Coast team, at WIN Jubilee Oval on Friday night, trying to arrest a three-game losing streak to save their ailing season.

The Titans will be without NSW representative Greg Bird, who is set to be sidelined for a month with a hamstring tear.

And while Merrin dismissed the pressure surrounding the Dragons to avoid another form slump, the 20-year-old prop claimed he was handling the extra expectation of carrying the load without suspended front-rower Michael Weyman and the injured Dan Hunt.

"You always feel a bit of pressure fall on your shoulders when the best forward in the game (Weyman) is out," he said.

"And Dan Hunt was playing awesome, so you feel a bit of a weight on your shoulders.

"But I'm happy with how I'm going, I'm not trying to be a Michael Weyman because he's out. He's his own player and I'm my own player, and I'm just trying to do my bit for the team."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 01:33 PM
Titans' beach boys are in trouble unless they can get Scott Prince firing and stop the losing streak

LAST week in the build-up to the derby against the Broncos I heard Titans prop Luke Bailey label the game "do-or-die".

At the time I thought it was typical pre-game rhetoric, trying to entice a few extra Titans fans to part with their hard-earned cash at the Skilled Park turnstiles.

But after the Titans were gunned down 24-10 by their nearest neighbour, it made me realise what big Bull Bailey was speaking was far closer to reality than rhetoric.

It has gone under the radar in the helter-skelter of the representative season and that little salary cap story bubbling along in Melbourne, but the Titans are on the skids.

Two months ago a second straight finals appearance for Gold Coast looked a mere formality.

They were entrenched in the top four, playing a no-nonsense brand of footy that was proving hard to beat.

The addition of Greg Bird had appeared to have added a noticeable edge to them and in a competition thrown open by the Storm's demise, the Titans faithful rightfully would have been daring to believe that a premiership in just the club's fourth season was an attainable dream.

But after Friday night's loss, albeit ably assisted by a shocking refereeing decision to sin-bin veteran centre Mat Rogers for a professional foul, the Titans are anything but good things to make the playoffs.

The loss to the Broncos was their third on the trot and their sixth in the past eight games, with one of those two wins a one-point heart-stopper over the Bulldogs.

They are still clinging to eighth spot, but they have a poor points differential (-26) and their run over the next month is onerous.

Starting on Friday night they face the frontrunning Dragons in Sydney and that is followed by an equally challenging road trip across the ditch to meet the ever-improving Warriors.

They then return home to play the Jarryd Hayne re-energised Eels, before another derby game against the Cowboys.

Unless they wake from their slumber soon, it might be all over by the time Neil Henry's boys ride into town – particularly with a few teams below them in Parramatta and Canberra showing signs of life with important wins over the weekend.

So where has it all gone wrong for the beachside boys?

Well, like most teams at this stage of the year they have had a few injuries, but you would hardly call it a crisis.

Perhaps all the off-field headlines of earlier in the season had more of an impact on the football team than the Titans let on.

For months as the legal wrangle over their new Centre of Excellence raged on, football and administration staff were forced to work from their homes, cars or anywhere else they could find a desk.

While the players were pretty well shielded from much of the drama, it looks to have taken a toll on skipper Scott Prince, who was the man at the centre of the salary cap innuendo.

While there have been glimpses, the star halfback has been well below his brilliant best for much of the year.

A hamstring injury hasn't helped him, but he doesn't appear to be playing with the flow or finesse for which he is renowned.

The cheeky grin has also been a little harder to find.

As much as they hate to admit it, the Titans – like most teams with a dominant playmaker – come back to the field quickly when Prince isn't at the top of his game.

The other mystery is where the Titans' often larger than life chief executive Michael Searle has been through the majority of this slide.

While he can't put centres through holes, kick goals from the sidelines or notch up 30-odd tackles in the ruck, I find it staggering that the club's commander can afford a month or so overseas, apparently globetrotting with Mark Occhilupo, mid-season.

Perhaps he needed to clear his head after the salary cap allegations and the messy blow-up with builder Alex Simpson.

But from my reckoning, not to be in the country for last week's derby against the Broncos wasn't a great look.

At a time when there is at least a perception, be it fair or unfounded, that the Titans are in financial strife, surely it wouldn't be a bad thing for major backers and alike to see the boss, front and centre, offering some assurances that all is well.

It has also been a fairly hectic time in terms of player movement in the NRL, particularly with the Melbourne situation reaching its head.

And while the Titans' roster is fairly settled, you never know what sort of bargains could fall off the back of the Storm's big purple truck.

The Titans' plight is hardly terminal but with Bird out of action for up to a month, things could get worse before they get better.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 01:34 PM
Walker poised for recall

NO ONE likes to see a team-mate get injured but when Greg Bird’s hamstring tore on the weekend Shannon Walker’s NRL career may have been rekindled.

The Kyogle junior has been waiting in the wings for another shot at the big-time since he made a nervous three-match cameo with the Gold Coast Titans in 2008.

And with the Titans’ backline torn apart by injury – Preston Campbell is likely to switch to five-eighth to cover for Bird – Walker is some chance of getting a crack at his favoured No 1 jersey.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has kept a close eye on Walker, who was outstanding as Tweed Heads overcame Queensland Cup pace-setters Souths Logan 32-6 on the weekend, but wouldn’t guarantee the enigmatic flyer a start.

“(Walker) was really good on the weekend and his consistency has been a lot better than it has been in the past,” Cartwright said.

“He will be pressing (for a spot in the line-up).

“But it’s all about how we are going to play St George and we will pick a side to suit.”

Cartwright admitted that his men have struggled to turn pressure into points of late, particularly last week against the Broncos, and with Walker back to his slippery best for the Seagulls in recent weeks he presents himself as a solution to that problem.

The explosive 22-year-old has the speed and skill to blow a game apart but the Titans may be wary of throwing him in the deep end for what is almost a must-win game.

In his debut, Walker came off the bench in a close game against the Bulldogs and made a few mistakes which only increased the pressure on him to perform.

But he insists he is a different player this time around and will be looking to make the most of any opportunity handed to him in a bid to land a contract for 2011.

http://www.northernstar.com.au

amaline
20-07-10, 02:58 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Steve Michaels
4. Clinton Toopi
5. William Zillman
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Bodene Thompson

Interchange:
14. Matt White
15. Brad Meyers
16. Ben Ridge
17. Luke O'Dwyer
18. Shannon Walker

titansrawesome
20-07-10, 02:59 PM
anyone remeber when walker vsed the roosters and he made a HUGE break but got tackled out at the roosters 10 by amos roberts?(who isnt there now)

titansrawesome
20-07-10, 03:02 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Steve Michaels
4. Clinton Toopi
5. William Zillman
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Bodene Thompson

Interchange:
14. Matt White
15. Brad Meyers
16. Ben Ridge
17. Luke O'Dwyer
18. Shannon Walker

carty never learns does he, stop picking guys like white and herderson, there are better players that we have, berdie,cannings and also where is esi tonga? id prefer him over steve michaels anyday, walker is 18th man which tells me he wont be playing:boo:

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 03:11 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Steve Michaels
4. Clinton Toopi
5. William Zillman
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Bodene Thompson

Interchange:
14. Matt White
15. Brad Meyers
16. Ben Ridge
17. Luke O'Dwyer
18. Shannon Walker

I can't really see Shannon getting into that side this week. :(

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 03:12 PM
Titans name fresh faces to take on Dragons

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have named fresh faces Steve Michaels, Clinton Toopi, Shannon Walker and Ben Ridge in a new-look 18-man squad for Friday night’s clash against St George Illawarra at WIN Jubilee Stadium.

With five-eighth Greg Bird (hamstring; 3-4 wks) and lock Ashley Harrison (knee; 2 wks) both sidelined with injury, Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright had named Michaels and Toopi as the new centre pairing in a reshuffled line-up.

Walker, 21, has been included on an extended five-man interchange bench alongside 20-year-old Ridge, who is in contention to make his NRL debut if given the nod to fill one of the four final bench positions.

Completing the reshuffle, dual international Mat Rogers moves from centre to five-eighth in place of Bird while Bodene Thompson shifts from centre to lock in the absence of Harrison.

The promotion marks Michaels' first appearance in Titans colours since joining the club from the Broncos in May while Walker is in the frame to play his first match since Round 19, 2008.

Toopi has scored three tries in five appearances for the Titans this season before sustaining a calf injury.

The Titans will be looking for their first away win against the Dragons when they play for the first time at WIN Jubilee Stadium, having fallen to the red and whites in their three previous clashes in Wollongong.

In the curtain raiser on Friday night, Rod Patison's Titans NYC outfit will be searching for their seventh straight win after storming into eighth spot on the ladder with a mid-season charge.

To view the full story and both Titans NRL and NYC squads go to:

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=28042

TITANS V DRAGONS
7.35pm, Friday, July 23
WIN Jubilee Stadium

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Steve Michaels
4 Clinton Toopi
5 William Zillman
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Bodene Thompson
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Ben Ridge
17 Luke O’Dwyer
19 Shannon Walker
Coach John Cartwright

TITANS NYC v DRAGONS NYC
1 Japeth Vaoa
2 Lachlan Creighton
3 Alec Jones
4 Dominic Walsh
5 Ryan Tongia
6 Jordan Rankin
7 Cody Walker
8 Josh Coyle
9 Matt Srama
10 Jarrod Wallace
11 Kurt Foggo
12 Ryan James
13 Jamie Dowling
Interchange
14 Jesse Malcolm
15 Luke Page
16 Ayden Lee
17 Stirling Siejka
18 Matt Arvier
19 Jack Clark
20 Danny Kerr
Coach: Rod Patison

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 03:17 PM
Rogers at 6 is interesting. Definitely an effort to keep Preston out of the action, not that he'd shirk the defensive workload and action.

Preston has been electric for us at 1.

I would still have put him at 6 personally, and give Zillman 1 where I think he would better excell.

Can't see Shannon pushing out Toopi and Michaels. They have earnt a go too. Although Shannon surely has put in the years. The other two weren't Titans last year.

Tamwelg
20-07-10, 03:21 PM
carty never learns does he, stop picking guys like white and herderson, there are better players that we have, berdie,cannings and also where is esi tonga? id prefer him over steve michaels anyday, walker is 18th man which tells me he wont be playing:boo:

You are kidding right? I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not saying you shouldn't have one, but you really are clueless. Henderson has been playing pretty well for us lately and Cannings has been average at best in the Qcup. you keep calling for a Cannigs recall and I too am a fan of his, but the truth is he has not bounced back well fro injury yet.

Surfers6
20-07-10, 03:32 PM
Ridge for James is interesting.
IMO James has been going well and Ridge has been only solid in QCup.

I also can not see how Walker will get a run this week.

Surfers6
20-07-10, 03:36 PM
I will hold my tongue until Michaels Plays.

i would of thought there would have been better options.
Cant really hurt to give him a go. (hurt much)

TitansFan
20-07-10, 03:40 PM
Hopefully the new-look back line will spark something that's been missing in recent weeks.
I saw Walker play for Tweed Heads on Saturday... he was awesome. The opposition could hardly contain him. I was hoping that he would be thrown in at fullback if Campbell moved to five-eigth.
It will be interesting to see Michaels play his first match in Titans colours. He had some good games for the Broncos.

TITAN PETE
20-07-10, 03:59 PM
You are kidding right? I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not saying you shouldn't have one, but you really are clueless. Henderson has been playing pretty well for us lately and Cannings has been average at best in the Qcup. you keep calling for a Cannigs recall and I too am a fan of his, but the truth is he has not bounced back well fro injury yet.

Iv'e gotta agree with u mate, i'm a huge fan of Bubba Cannings but he's too far off the pace for the NRL at the moment & i think Hendo has been playing as good if not better than Bails.

Interesting choice of picking Ridge over James :ugh: , Ryan has been playing well but i think Ben is a far more defensive player so that may be Cartys reason for the change.

I would prefer Rogers in the centres but maybe he's there to contain Soward & shut his kicking game down & switch with Presto in attack .

Steve Michaels has been given an easy job 1st up for us by marking Gaz & Cooper :surprise: ...this will make of break him & i'm hoping for a huge comeback from the kid :thumbsup:

titansrawesome
20-07-10, 04:03 PM

but that game against the bulldogs, despite having crap qld cup form, basically saved our skins that night, also i think hendo has been getting better... but he still makes too many damn mistakes like minnichello and white, but mini at least scores tries and makes a lot of metres to earn his keep, hendo was good before the leg break IMO

Coaster
20-07-10, 04:42 PM
We need Preston at 6, there has to be another attacking option in the front line or defenses can target Prince all night.

What's the time frame on Tomane?

I would like to see Rogers and Toopie/Esi in the centers and run Micheals/Walker on the wing, too many questions regarding both for center or fullback

amaline
20-07-10, 04:53 PM
We need Preston at 6, there has to be another attacking option in the front line or defenses can target Prince all night.

What's the time frame on Tomane?

I would like to see Rogers and Toopie/Esi in the centers and run Micheals/Walker on the wing, too many questions regarding both for center or fullback

I think it was mentioned in the commentary for the Broncos game that Tomane was out for the season.

Coaster
20-07-10, 04:56 PM
The more I look at that side the more it confuses me.

We are playing a Dally M 5/8 at fullback
A duel international Winger at 5/8
A winger at center
A fullback at winger

Yeah that should work

Coaster
20-07-10, 04:57 PM
I think it was mentioned in the commentary for the Broncos game that Tomane was out for the season.
Ouch

That's gonna hurt

GoldCoastTitans100
20-07-10, 05:37 PM
I don't get why we are still playing presto at FB he is terrible under the high ball and drops it a lot. At F8 he can do some good things but still past his prime and should retire.

Luke O?Dwyer disappoints me every time he plays i hope he improves.

I aggree with Rat being at F8 but him being there keeps Preston at FB so i would place him in the centre.

Chuck Shannon Walker at FB for the rest of the season.

Because we are not going to make the top 8 playing like we are now.

karnage
20-07-10, 06:08 PM
Whe plays right centre is the most important. That left edge of the Dragons - Soward, Boyd, Cooper, Morris is the most lethal combination in the comp.

If Michaels plays on that side, with his defensive history behind him, Morris could start the shortest price for 1st try in the history of the comp.

Looks like some pretty conservative options taken by Carty in that team. Not sure conservatism is what we need right now - it could have been a good time to roll the dice.

On the flip side, it does give Bodene a chance to show his wares in a more suitable position. I have been enormously impressed by him this year and if he can turn it on he can start to put pressure on guys like O'Dwyer, who was just given a sallon passage back into the side, and even Mini and Boof to prevent them going thorugh the motions next year.

gotitans101
20-07-10, 06:34 PM
I don't get why we are still playing presto at FB he is terrible under the high ball and drops it a lot. At F8 he can do some good things but still past his prime and should retire.

Luke O’Dwyer disappoints me every time he plays i hope he improves.

I aggree with Rat being at F8 but him being there keeps Preston at FB so i would place him in the centre.

I agree regarding O'Dwyer...I'm a fan of the guy but he's been very average since his return from injury.

Seeing no Ryan James in that side disappoints me too...he's been great off the bench for us, I really saw no reason to get rid of him.

We can only hope that Steve Michaels has improved his defensive game, otherwise the Dragons will pick him out easily and target him for easy tries.

I really miss Esi and think he should be given another chance.

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 07:10 PM
Ryan James, IMO hasnt really done much wrong since coming into first grade and has really impressed me.

DIEHARD
20-07-10, 07:14 PM
St George Illawarra Dragons:
1 Darius Boyd
2 Brett Morris
3 Beau Scott
4 Matt Cooper
5 Jason Nightingale
6 Jamie Soward
7 Ben Hornby [c]
8 Matt Prior
9 Luke Priddis
10 Jon Green
11 Neville Costigan
12 Ben Creagh
13 Dean Young

Subs:
14 Trent Merrin
15 Jeremy Smith
16 Nick Emmett
17 Jarrod Saffy
18 Ricky Thorby
19 Mark Gasnier (two to be omitted).

Ryan
20-07-10, 07:17 PM
anyone remeber when walker vsed the roosters and he made a HUGE break but got tackled out at the roosters 10 by amos roberts?(who isnt there now)
I remember that. But it wasn't such a huge break, Mark O'Merely got called off side which allowed Walker to stroll straight through only having to beat Amos. Shannon should have done him easy, but second guessed himself and Amos ended up taking him into touch. Blown try.

I think James Ryan's selections have only been for the purpose of blooding him, not so much as what he offers the team. He plays minimal minutes, between 12-15m the last two games. He has been impressive, can't wait for him to lock down a top 17 spot.
But I suppose he has had a taste and a feel - Time for another young one to have a go. Need to start getting them some game time, we have a few old forwards that will need replacing soon.

I remember Steve Micheals getting talked about for Origin a few years ago, so he does have talent there. Lets hope his defensive woes are behind him, and he can put in a good one.

I would have prefered this backline:

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Rogers
4. Toopi
5. Walker\Micheals
6. Campbell

GoldCoastTitans100
20-07-10, 07:21 PM
I agree regarding O'Dwyer...I'm a fan of the guy but he's been very average since his return from injury.

Seeing no Ryan James in that side disappoints me too...he's been great off the bench for us, I really saw no reason to get rid of him.

We can only hope that Steve Michaels has improved his defensive game, otherwise the Dragons will pick him out easily and target him for easy tries.

I really miss Esi and think he should be given another chance.

I think Ryan James is a star why did we drop him.

Im not a fan of Esi. Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, Mat Rogers, Josh Graham and Marshall Chalk are all better centrs IMO.

titansrawesome
20-07-10, 07:57 PM
I think Ryan James is a star why did we drop him.

Im not a fan of Esi. Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, Mat Rogers, Josh Graham and Marshall Chalk are all better centrs IMO.

i think esi is brilliant in attack, he can tackle but when i look at him i think he should be putting on fui fui 09 hits.

I remember that. But it wasn't such a huge break, Mark O'Merely got called off side which allowed Walker to stroll straight through only having to beat Amos. Shannon should have done him easy, but second guessed himself and Amos ended up taking him into touch. Blown try.

I think James Ryan's selections have only been for the purpose of blooding him, not so much as what he offers the team. He plays minimal minutes, between 12-15m the last two games. He has been impressive, can't wait for him to lock down a top 17 spot.
But I suppose he has had a taste and a feel - Time for another young one to have a go. Need to start getting them some game time, we have a few old forwards that will need replacing soon.

I remember Steve Micheals getting talked about for Origin a few years ago, so he does have talent there. Lets hope his defensive woes are behind him, and he can put in a good one.

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Rogers
4. Toopi
5. Walker\Micheals
6. Campbell

it feels like ages since michaels has played

Luke O’Dwyer disappoints me every time he plays i hope he improves.

though i agree that we aren't playing top 8 material right now, i do disagree that campbell stinks at fb, anyone who disagrees that he is excellent at fb is blind or stupid, i was at the titans vs broncs and he dead set saved us about 4 tries with his awesome last line of defense tackles(how sweet was it to deny that twat folau an easy try right under the sticks) yeah he does drop some balls but who doesn't and he does leap above the pack 90% of the time and catch it.

Coaster
20-07-10, 08:03 PM
Is Harrison injured?

Supergoose
20-07-10, 08:19 PM
I was really hoping that walker would get a run. I didn't see esi's name on the team sheet for Ipswich last week so assumed he wasn't available for selection this week. Really disappointing. Steve michaels will be an interesting proposition and toopi hasn't let anyone down but I was hoping walker would be picked at fullback and given the freedom to play his natural game. I don't think we should play him on the wing. I'm hoping the 18 is a true squad and carty will work through his options at training this week and we'll get a line-up to surprise the dragons and really cause them problems. I think we need to go all out attack.

I love the fact bodene is getting a start as he deserves it and I think ben ridge has been good for the tweed. Not sure chalky is going that well at the moment and would be happy for him to be he one to drop off the bench. Maybe walker starts on the bench and we get to see how michaels and toopi handle themselves before making the adjustment and moving Campbell to 5/8.

Sad that this line-up has to have it's first run against the top-of-the-table dragons, but let's hope they can cause a massive upset.

Supergoose
20-07-10, 08:19 PM
Is Harrison injured?

Knee injury 2 weeks as I understand it.

Tamwelg
20-07-10, 08:20 PM
Is Harrison injured?

Yes he is. He has a mystery knee injury, believed to be cartilage causing some swelling. He should only be out for a week or 2.

Titanic
20-07-10, 08:47 PM
Why isn't Presto coming off the bench? He's great in bursts and as his legs get older so does his error rate climb. I love him but surely he's an impact player now.

Michaels will have to play left centre that means Toopi plays right... now that is an issue. Thompson deserves his chance in his rightful position and I feel shattered for James who was just starting to measure up.

Those bagging White and Henderson should turn their eyes to Prince... he really needs to apply digitus extractus, imho.

Anyway for what it's worth... Prince to recover form and kick a one pointer to snatch the win.

Coaster
20-07-10, 08:48 PM
Thanks Tam and Supergoose

Boofhead
20-07-10, 08:51 PM
Fixed.

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Mat Rogers
4. Clinton Toopi
5. Steven Michaels
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Bodene Thompson

14. Matt White
15. Brad Meyers
16. Luke O'Dwyer
17. Shannon Walker (In case Michaels experiment is a failure)

GoldCoastTitans100
20-07-10, 08:53 PM
though i agree that we aren't playing top 8 material right now, i do disagree that campbell stinks at fb, anyone who disagrees that he is excellent at fb is blind or stupid, i was at the titans vs broncs and he dead set saved us about 4 tries with his awesome last line of defense tackles(how sweet was it to deny that twat folau an easy try right under the sticks) yeah he does drop some balls but who doesn't and he does leap above the pack 90% of the time and catch it.

To be fair Folau was jogging when Preston made the first tackle, the second one was good.

But i hate when the opposition is about to score a try and all he needs to do is get under the hand of the opposition but he stands there and does nothing but then you watch other fullbacks and they jump under the ball like it is a GF and they need to save the game.

And the fact that he is small and not that strong results in him getting smashed a lot.

I like him at F8 but he is passed his prime. He is not a Matt Rogers it is time for him to hang up his boots.

Coaster
20-07-10, 08:59 PM
I don't agree, not even a little bit.

It is not his fault we have lost the last few, in fact if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have half the points we have.

He may be ready to turn into an impact player but he sure as he'll has more to give and I would be devastated if he pulled up stumps

GoldCoastTitans100
20-07-10, 09:14 PM

It is not his fault we have lost the last few, in fact if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have half the points we have.

He may be ready to turn into an impact player but he sure as he'll has more to give and I would be devastated if he pulled up stumps

I can agree he has something to give but can you say that something is at FB ? or is it in F8 ?

Supergoose
20-07-10, 09:28 PM
Presto is still awesome and without a serious challenger in my opinion. I think his best position is fullback although we don't get much 2nd man stuff out of him I'm not sure that it's his fault. I like boofs team although I'd be tempted to leave young ridge in and give o'dwyer a week in the reggies. It is a shame James is going back to twenties but necessary if we want him to play decent minutes as we near he finals he is only getting limited minutes in the firsts and needs game time. I really hope walker gets a run, we need some spark and he could be just the man to give it to us.

patskE
20-07-10, 11:42 PM
i think its just better for our attack if campbell if his at 6, due for his creativity and unpredictability.
to me rogers roll is still the same, just now he will kick more.
plus i rkn he offers more in attack at centre then toopi and micheals 2gether

teke
21-07-10, 12:34 AM
The more I look at that side the more it confuses me.

We are playing a Dally M 5/8 at fullback
A duel international Winger at 5/8
A winger at center
A fullback at winger

Yeah that should work:laugh: :laugh:

teke
21-07-10, 12:44 AM

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Rogers
4. Toopi
5. Walker\Micheals
6. CampbellThis is a better backline than the one carty has come up with. However you wont see Carty sticking Presto in the frontline if he doesnt have to.

Every team in the comp hammers Presto when he is defending in the frontline. They work him over really hard and it often has a carry-over effect on the Titans defence with nearby defenders coming in to help him out thus creating a hole or overlap on the other side of the field.

I have always wanted to see an arrangement where Carty plays Presto up next to Prince in attack and drop back to fullback in defence letting Bird cover the 5/8 spot.

Maybe Ryan James is injured from the last tackle of the Broncos game, he was bent over for a little while after the final whistle and left the playing field looking quite dusty.

teke
21-07-10, 12:49 AM

He may be ready to turn into an impact player but he sure as he'll has more to give and I would be devastated if he pulled up stumpsI think its getting really close to him being an impact player to be honest but he still has alot to give and the Broncos game showed it.

What the Titans dont have is a fullback that comes screaming into the backline ala Billy Slater/Brett Stewart/Boyd.

Ryan
21-07-10, 04:51 AM
However you wont see Carty sticking Presto in the frontline if he doesnt have to.

Every team in the comp hammers Presto when he is defending in the frontline. They work him over really hard and it often has a carry-over effect on the Titans defence with nearby defenders coming in to help him out thus creating a hole or overlap on the other side of the field.

I agree, thats why I prefer Bird at 5/8 rather than lock.

Zillman is a good defender, has a pretty good one-on-one technique too. He could defend at 5/8, and leave Preston at fullback, then swap around in attack.

Tamwelg
21-07-10, 05:44 AM
Zillman is a good defender, has a pretty good one-on-one technique too. He could defend at 5/8, and leave Preston at fullback, then swap around in attack.

I really like this idea, someone whisper it in Carty's ear.

I think its getting really close to him being an impact player to be honest but he still has alot to give and the Broncos game showed it.

What the Titans dont have is a fullback that comes screaming into the backline ala Billy Slater/Brett Stewart/Boyd.

I think Zillman has the potential to be this type of player if given more game time at fullback. I have seen glimpses of it this year, but not often at all.

TITAN PETE
21-07-10, 07:49 AM
To be fair Folau was jogging when Preston made the first tackle, the second one was good.

But i hate when the opposition is about to score a try and all he needs to do is get under the hand of the opposition but he stands there and does nothing but then you watch other fullbacks and they jump under the ball like it is a GF and they need to save the game.

And the fact that he is small and not that strong results in him getting smashed a lot.

I like him at F8 but he is passed his prime. He is not a Matt Rogers it is time for him to hang up his boots.

You should be slapped for talking such Rubbish :boo:

GoldCoastTitans100
21-07-10, 03:18 PM
The back line i would line up with would be

1 Shannon Walker
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Mat Rogers
4. Clinton Toopi
5 William Zillman
6 Preston Campbell
7 Scott Prince

If the team was 100% fit it could be

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Joseph Tomane
4. Clinton Toopi
5 David Mead
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince

Preston Campbell, Greg Bird on the bench Greg is a lock not a F8 but is a nice player to shift there if you needed.

squirrell
21-07-10, 08:08 PM
The back line i would line up with would be

1 Shannon Walker
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Mat Rogers
4. Clinton Toopi
5 William Zillman
6 Preston Campbell
7 Scott Prince

If the team was 100% fit it could be

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Joseph Tomane
4. Clinton Toopi
5 David Mead
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince

Preston Campbell, Greg Bird on the bench Greg is a lock not a F8 but is a nice player to shift there if you needed.

w.t.f??..u want bird on the bench!!!!! thats a big call we must have lots of players much better than him to keep him on the sidelines during a game.....not

Dragons
21-07-10, 08:25 PM
Hate to say it, but I see a big score form the Dragons. I really want the Titans do to well this year because of the new GayFL team next year. I rather a big crowd at our games then there's. Time for the Titans management to bring the crowd back to Skilled Park. Lower the prices and build a car park before it to late.

GoldCoastTitans100
21-07-10, 08:33 PM
w.t.f??..u want bird on the bench!!!!! thats a big call we must have lots of players much better than him to keep him on the sidelines during a game.....not

Ashley Harrison is better, you would bring bird on as a second row or lock affter the first 20min.

titansrawesome
21-07-10, 08:39 PM
Hate to say it, but I see a big score form the Dragons. I really want the Titans do to well this year because of the new GayFL team next year. I rather a big crowd at our games then there's. Time for the Titans management to bring the crowd back to Skilled Park. Lower the prices and build a car park before it to late.

word, i will hate GC17

Sydney Titans Fanatic
21-07-10, 09:22 PM
Scott prince is in a form slump....Greg bird has been leading the team around since prince has got back from injury and seeing birds not there for the next 4 or 5 weeks he needs to wake up.....As for my backline i would have
1 william zillman
2 kevin gordon
3 clinton toopi
4 esi tonga
5 presto
6 matt rogers(genuine 5/8th and being bigger then presto wont be targeted as much)

shamus
21-07-10, 09:25 PM
Scott prince is in a form slump....Greg bird has been leading the team around since prince has got back from injury and seeing birds not there for the next 4 or 5 weeks he needs to wake up.....As for my backline i would have
1 william zillman
2 kevin gordon
3 clinton toopi
4 esi tonga
5 presto
6 matt rogers(genuine 5/8th and being bigger then presto wont be targeted as much)

That's different...:surprise:

GoldCoastTitans100
21-07-10, 09:26 PM
Preston on the wing he would become the target men of the season

TITAN PETE
22-07-10, 08:10 AM
Don't be surprised if the backline looks something like this sometime during the match... ;)

18.Shannon Walker
2.Kevin Gordon
6.Mat Rogers
4.Clinton Toopi
5.William Zillman
1.Preston Campbell
7.Scott Prince

lonegull
22-07-10, 08:17 AM
Don't be surprised if the backline looks something like this sometime during the match... ;)

18.Shannon Walker
2.Kevin Gordon
6.Mat Rogers
4.Clinton Toopi
5.William Zillman
1.Preston Campbell
7.Scott Prince

Hope your right give us some attacking flair,

Surfers6
22-07-10, 08:32 AM
Presto On the Wing would do my head in I think.

He need to be in the middle of the park so they dont throw him into the stands and you can only imagine the amount of bombs coming his way.

Surfers6
22-07-10, 08:33 AM

18.Shannon Walker
2.Kevin Gordon
6.Mat Rogers
4.Clinton Toopi
5.William Zillman
1.Preston Campbell
7.Scott Prince

This is what it should be from the start.

bigjim
22-07-10, 01:04 PM
I'll be tipping the Dragons but cheering the Titans. Sorry.

That makes the game a win win for me.

I worry about the inclusion of Shannon Walker. Great attacking player but questionable in defence. He sometimes looses focus or doesn't commit to tackles 100%.

If we can't beat the Broncasses or Tigers at home, there is little hope of beating Dragons at WIN.

Still, where there's life there's hope, as they say.:thumbsup:

gotitans101
22-07-10, 03:45 PM
I'll be tipping the Dragons but cheering the Titans. Sorry.

That makes the game a win win for me.

Me too mate (at the risk of being called a bandwagoner :laugh: ) Dragons are at pretty much full strength this week, I think we'll have to be very lucky to get away with a victory here.

Carn Titans!

Mushi
22-07-10, 04:16 PM
Don't know if its just wishful thinking or not - but I have a really good feeling about this game???? :-O The titans know that their season is on the line coming into finals and they will surely drop out of the 8 if they lose - so a lot to play for. I see Princey taking charge since Bird is out and Rogers slotting comfortably back into the six and helping out. As long as our defence is tight - we can hold out the dragons and hopefully the refs will go our way for once too! Lets hope my good feeling is right though! come on titans!

shamus
22-07-10, 05:20 PM
I will be tipping Dragons but for slightly different reasons. The only 2 times I have tipped against the Titans since the start of 2007 was an away game at Melbourne and an away game at Manly and we won both of them. So me being superstitious and all are tipping against them....

oh.......and I have never won a footy tipping comp...DUH!

karnage
22-07-10, 08:12 PM
Don't know if its just wishful thinking or not - but I have a really good feeling about this game???? :-O The titans know that their season is on the line coming into finals and they will surely drop out of the 8 if they lose - so a lot to play for. I see Princey taking charge since Bird is out and Rogers slotting comfortably back into the six and helping out. As long as our defence is tight - we can hold out the dragons and hopefully the refs will go our way for once too! Lets hope my good feeling is right though! come on titans!

It's a lot easier to have a good feeling about a game when you know that a win would really be a bonus. There is no doubt it has the feel of the Melbourne game last year, or even more like the Roosters game the year before...

bigjim
22-07-10, 10:12 PM
You never know.

The players will probably feel it would be a huge ask to win this game.

No fan expectations, so the pressure is off and they can relax and just play good footy.

Dragons on the other hand will feel they have no chance of loosing this one.

Could make for an interesting contest.

teke
23-07-10, 12:31 AM
Titans need to kick the ball over the sideline or touch in goal area. Dragons strength is bringing ball back from kicks. Camp the mofos down there and defend like crazy.

This is the game plan that will work.

Ryan
23-07-10, 04:28 AM
I wanna see Sowards ribcage disassembled hit by hit.

TITAN PETE
23-07-10, 07:07 AM
I wanna see Sowards ribcage disassembled hit by hit.

By the "Bodene Express" :fight:

Ryan
23-07-10, 07:46 AM
By the "Bodene Express" :fight:

I was originally gonna post:
"If we are gonna lose someone to the bin again this week, might as well make it worth it and have Bodene put a few swinging arms into Sowards thyroid."
But then I remembered Bodene already has form at the judicary, and we need to keep him on the field.

It'll be good one day to have Bodene, Taga, Bird and Tomane on the field at the same time. I love their defensive techniques.

TITAN PETE
23-07-10, 10:11 AM
I was originally gonna post:
"If we are gonna lose someone to the bin again this week, might as well make it worth it and have Bodene put a few swinging arms into Sowards thyroid."
But then I remembered Bodene already has form at the judicary, and we need to keep him on the field.

It'll be good one day to have Bodene, Taga, Bird and Tomane on the field at the same time. I love their defensive techniques.

Maybe in 3 weeks time they will all be on deck when we play Parra & while their supporters are cheering the "Hayne Train" we can introduce them to the "Pain Train" :fist: :fist:

Surfers6
23-07-10, 12:25 PM
Anyone have any idea who will drop off the bench.

lonegull
23-07-10, 12:39 PM
I know there was talk earlier in the year of Ben Ridge signing with Manly has this been confirmed or is it only media talk, has someone got the correct answer to this

Steelers
23-07-10, 01:01 PM
This game worries me. The potential of a complacent Dragons outfit against a Titans team with their season on the line could cause a massive upset. I'm hoping for a close Dragons win.

Coaster
23-07-10, 01:51 PM
Maybe in 3 weeks time they will all be on deck when we play Parra & while their supporters are cheering the "Hayne Train" we can introduce them to the "Pain Train" :fist: :fist:
That's why we should invest in 4 premium front rowers
2 playing
1 on the bench
And one suspended at all times

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:01 PM
Rogers insists he's no fill-in for Bird

Gold Coast five-eighth Mat Rogers insists he's not just a fill-in for the injured Greg Bird and is determined to prove to coach John Cartwright that he should stay in the No.6 jersey.

The Titans veteran said the team would simply fold if players didn't have aspirations of taking their team-mates' spots.

Rogers said he's refound his spark this week, training at pivot for Friday night's crucial game against St George Illawarra at WIN Jubilee Oval.

Although his aim to relegate Bird to the bench is said to be tongue-in-cheek, he's serious about making life difficult for the NSW rep once he recovers from his hamstring injury.

"I'm happy to have everything against Greg, I was nice to him before he came, but not now," quipped Rogers.

"He said to me he'll be back in about a month, so I said: 'so he doesn't mind coming off the bench does he?

"I like playing five-eighth, I like playing in the centres, it doesn't bother me where I play, but I want to play well enough so I will give Carty a headache every week and make him make the decision.

"I don't want to be the sort of player ... where they get a shot in a position and they're just minding it for someone.

"I think if you're in a club like that then your club isn't going to go too well so everybody is pretty fired up including myself to play well and try and hold onto a position in the side and cement that spot."

Despite the attacking potential in their side, the Titans have struggled to maintain fluency in their attack in recent weeks. With Bird's style being to play more like a lock than a natural five-eighth, Rogers perhaps has the opportunity to inject his outside backs with a little more flair.

The dual-international, who said he's still a month away from deciding on his footballing future, is confident he can help the Titans get their faltering finals charge back on track.

"It should be fun. I've been back in the side now for about a month so I've certainly got plenty of running in the legs now, so moving back into the middle won't be a problem. I'm looking forward to it, running there this week has re-ignited the spark playing in there," he said.

"I'm excited about it, I don't play a game like Greg Bird, I don't play anything like Greg Bird. He's more like an extra back rower and he can kick a bit and pass a bit for us so I'm not going to be playing a back row type five-eighth role that's for sure."

Rogers believes teams who will finish just outside the eight this year would be more than capable of beating the top sides - such is the evenness of the competition.

He insists the Dragons clash isn't make or break, but admits a win would certainly boost the Titans' cause.

"We're not walking around kicking cans," he said.

"We haven't been far away the last few weeks so it's not panic stations for us yet."

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:04 PM
Dragons v Titans Preview
Friday, 7.35pm - WIN Jubilee Stadium

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/dragonsvstitans.jpg

Titans coach John Cartwright may have seriously considered some hypnotherapy as a means of boosting his troops? confidence this week, such are the hurdles both physical and mental that have been erected between them and a semi-finals berth.

A month ago the Gold Coast unit were equal second on the NRL ladder. But three successive losses, cushioned only by a bye, have seen them plummet to eighth ? and if defeated by the Dragons they will slip from the top eight for the first time since the end of the 2008 season.

They showed great intensity to lead the Broncos 10-nil with less than 10 minutes to go before halftime last week, but capitulated. Before that they suffered a heartbreaking one-point loss to the Wests Tigers (in the game marked by Benji Marshall?s 50-metre field goal), while in Round 16 against the Knights they squandered a 12-6 lead after 27 minutes. Clearly application is letting them down.

To add to their woes this week they have lost crucial personnel Greg Bird (hamstring) and Ashley Harrison. In a reshuffle, former Bronco Steve Michaels makes his debut for the club in the centres, with Mat Rogers taking Bird?s no.6 jersey. Bodene Thompson moves from centre to slot in at lock for Harrison, with Clinton Toopi his replacement. Ben Ridge and Shannon Walker join the extended bench, with Ryan James missing out.

The Titans have a dreadful record against the Dragons, winning just one of seven games ? their worst record against any opponent. They have yet to beat the Dragon in Sydney, and have never scored more than 12 points against them in the city.

Meanwhile the Dragons keep ticking over nicely. They?ve shown an inherent ability to grind out a victory, as evidenced by their 16-13 win over the Rabbitohs last week, which was secured inside the final 10 minutes with a 70-metre raid initiated by back-rower Neville Costigan and finished off by Mark Gasnier.

In a significant roster change Matt Cooper, off the scene since tearing his hamstring in Origin II, returns at centre replacing Kyle Stanley. Jeremy Smith joins the six-man bench which includes Mark Gasnier.

Watch out Dragons: Mat Rogers and Scott Prince are an accomplished halves pairing, and it will fall to captain Prince to take this game by the throat if the Titans are to remain a finals force.

Prince has 11 try assists from just 12 games.

Hooker Nathan Friend is the busiest player in the NRL; his 1909 receives are a staggering 153 more touches than the second most involved, Manly?s Matt Ballin. The Dragons need to shut down his decision-making time.

And the Red V can be sure that former Dragon Luke Bailey will be primed for a huge game. Bailey, who has yet to win against his old side, delivered a powerful 57 minutes against the Broncos last week, running for 142 metres with 31 tackles.

Watch out Titans: Poor discipline when in possession is killing the Titans. They?re averaging just 69 per cent for their completions ? the second worst rate in the comp.

And they?ve been even worse over the past month. In their loss to the Knights they completed 25/37 (67 per cent), while against the Wests Tigers they completed 24/36 (66 per cent).

They were slightly better last week (30/42 for 71 per cent) but even that figure ranks outside the other top-eight sides.

By comparison the Dragons are the masters at strangling their oppositions ? their 78 per cent average completion rate is the NRL benchmark.

Player-wise the Titans have to shut down the involvement of star fullback Darius Boyd, who has made 232 runs this year for an average gain of 148 metres a match. He is the go-to man on their sideline sweeps, and the player most likely to provide the final pass for wingers Brett Morris (15 tries) and Jason Nightingale (11 tries).

Boyd ranks second for line-break assists (13) and fifth for try assists (14). He has registered at least one try assist in each of his past five games.

Where it will be won: Keeping the ball up the other end, and committing to defence.

With completion rates crucial, making an error or turning over the ball in your own end is likely to be punished. In this regard the Titans are making nearly 11 errors a game, compared to the home side?s 7.4.

As for defence, well, the Titans are missing more tackles per game than any other side (37.9), compared to the Dragons? 26.4 (the fewest in the comp).

The history: Played 7; Dragons 6, Titans 1. The Dragons won 19-6 back in Round 6. The Titans secured their only win 28-24 at Skilled Park last season.

This is the first clash between the sides at Kogarah.

Conclusion: In our Dragons-Rabbitohs preview last week we said: ?If [the Rabbitohs] go try-for-try with the Dragons, their opponents will pull away from them late in proceedings. No; they need a try, try, try start to get the points.? We were correct, and we?ll go again and say that?s pretty much the scenario for the Titans, too.

It?s clear they need to blow the Dragons away early, as recent history shows they simply don?t have the weaponry when it counts later in games ? they have scored only three tries in their past four second halves.

Otherwise, this could be a nasty touch-up.

Match officials: Referees ? Ben Cummins & Tony De Las Heras; Sideline Officials ? Jeff Younis & David Abood; Video Ref ? Paul Simpkins.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW); Fox Sports ? delayed 1am

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:13 PM
A really interesting clash here. Must win for us.

But Rogers at 5/8th and Thompson coming in for Ash and the probably Titans debut of Steve Michaels makes it very fascinating.

I think Rogers will excell at 5/8th for us and Thompson is certainly cut out for the lock role.

Cooper is back for the Dragons and will partner Gasnier in the centres. And then we also have Boyd and Morris to worry about.

Hopefully we can discover some strike power tonight!

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:28 PM
Dragons centre Matt Cooper looking forward to playing again with Mark Gasnier

ST GEORGE Illawarra centre Matt Cooper is jumping out of his skin ahead of his first match alongside Mark Gasnier in two years.

Cooper never expected to play alongside Gasnier again but he can't wait to do so tonight when the Dragons play the Gold Coast.

"It's going to be great to run out with him," said Cooper, who is making his return after a month on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

Cooper believes Gasnier will create more attacking opportunities on the left side for him and Brett Morris.

"Sides have been stacking our left side with an extra number on their defensive line, but with Gaz back that will drag an extra player over to cover him," Cooper said. "That will make it a bit better for our left side."

Cooper and Gasnier spent eight years as arguably the NRL's best centre combination. They played Origin and Tests together before Gasnier quit the game at the end of 2008 to play rugby in France.

Cooper, 31, is refreshed and raring to go after hyper-extending his leg in Origin II. "I'm going into the game 100 per cent," he said. "Last year I was hampered with a foot injury, which was an ongoing injury. I'm stoked to be feeling this good."

Cooper expects the Titans to be desperate tonight because they have slipped to eighth on the ladder after three consecutive losses. "They haven't [been in the best form] but it's going to be a big test for us," he said."They haven't won for a couple of weeks but a couple of months ago they were coming second or third, so they're going to be really hungry."

The Titans are reeling from injuries to Origin stars Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird. Mat Rogers has been switched to five-eighth for Bird and coach John Cartwright has selected a new centre pairing in former Bronco Steve Michaels and former Kiwi international Clinton Toopi.

The Dragons have a four-point gap at the top but Cooper says there is no risk of complacency after last year's late-season slump.

St George Illawarra lost three of their final four regular-season matches to surrender all momentum heading into the finals, where they tumbled out of the competition with successive losses.

"It's something we've got to talk about because pretty much everything is the same as last year," Cooper said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:29 PM
The Titans always have the misfortune of welcoming back rival stars from injury! :fight:

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:31 PM
St George Illawarra Dragons v Gold Coast Titans
Friday, WIN Jubilee Stadium, 7.35pm

Referees: Ben Cummins, Tony De Las Heras
Head to head: Dragons 6, Titans 1
Last clash: Dragons 19 bt Titans 6 at Skilled Park (Rd 6 2010)
TAB SportsBet: Dragons $1.20, Titans $4.40
FootyTab: Titans +8.5

The Dragons were far from impressive but got the points against Souths and they face a side in a similar must-win position this week. Better to have the wobbles now than in a couple of months though as Wayne Bennett's men work Mark Gasnier into their system.

The former Test star has been named on a six-man bench while another former Test centre, Matt Cooper, returns from a hamstring injury. The Titans have lost their last three and are without five-eighth Greg Bird (hamstring), with veteran Mat Rogers shifting to pivot and ex-Bronco Steve Michaels and ex-Warrior Clinton Toopi a new centres pairing.

DRAGONS: Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Beau Scott, Matt Cooper, Jason Nightingale, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt), Matt Prior, Luke Priddis, Jon Green, Neville Costigan, Ben Creagh, Dean Young. Interchange: Trent Merrin, Jeremy Smith, Nick Emmett, Jarrod Saffy, Ricky Thorby, Mark Gasnier (two to be omitted).

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Steve Michaels, Clinton Toopi, William Zillman, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Michael Henderson, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Bodene Thompson. Interchange: Matthew White, Brad Meyers, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Shannon Walker (one to omitted).

AAP

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:41 PM
Titans coach confident in youngster

THE Gold Coast Titans' coach has every confidence in replacement centre Steve Michaels as the team finalised preparations at Robina this morning before flying out for Sydney this afternoon for their NRL clash with the Dragons.

The Titans will clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons tomorrow night in what is shaping as a season-defining game for the under siege club.

With Origin players Ash Harrison (knee) and Greg Bird (hamstring) sidelined through injury, several fresh faces will join the fray.

Young back rower Ben Ridge will make his NRL, while centre Steve Michaels will play his first game for the Titans since walking out on the Broncos eight weeks ago.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has declared he has complete confidence in centre Michaels, who will be out to prove wrong those who doubted him in Brisbane.

Michaels was released by the Broncos two months ago, with the club and coach Ivan Henjak losing faith in the 23-year-old.

It all stemmed from several poor defensive displays mid-way through last season, which led to Michaels suffering a confidence crisis.

''The hardest place to defend on the field is centre and wing when it comes to decision making,'' said Cartwright.

''Their decisions are made a lot easier if the blokes inside are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

''Often the guy on the edge of the field gets the blame but a lot of work wasn't being done inside him. A lot of that (confidence) comes down to the players around you and the staff and there is no lack of confidence in him here.''

But the task against the table-topping Dragons isn't going to be easy for Michaels, who will face Wayne Bennett and Palm Beach Currumbin classmate Darius Boyd for the first time.

Michaels will also line up opposite Origin centre Beau Scott and must also contain the resurgent Mark Gasnier, who scored the match-winning try against Souths last week.

''He has been close to selection for the past month and very solid for Burleigh, that is why he got a start this weekend,'' said Cartwright. ''He is only 23, been part of a Queensland emerging State of Origin team and played a lot of first grade at the Broncos in a star-studded side.

''We have got confidence in him here and I am sure he will do a job for us.

''He is a great fella to have around, is no fuss, works very hard and he deserves his chance.''

Exciting Tweed Heads Seagulls fullback Shannon Walker is also remains a chance of turning out for the Titans, named 18th man.

Cartwright will make the final call on Walker tomorrow.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 02:45 PM
SMH: LATE MAIL

TITANS second-rower Ben Ridge is set to make his debut tonight in their match at Jubilee Oval against St George Illawarra. Ridge, who lists pig shooting among his hobbies, was an Australian Schoolboys representative in 2007. Gold Coast travelled to Sydney yesterday, with coach John Cartwright yet to decide whether Luke O'Dwyer or Shannon Walker, both named in an 18-man squad, would miss out.

Dragons centre Matt Cooper has been cleared to play his first match since State of Origin II, after being sidelined with a hamstring injury, and is considered in no doubt.

''I'm going into the game 100 per cent,'' he said yesterday. Cooper will line up with Mark Gasnier for the first time since his fellow centre's return to the club. Gasnier, though, will again start from the bench. Dragons coach Wayne Bennett has taken Nick Emmett and Ricky Thorby off his interchange.

SMH

gotitans101
23-07-10, 04:39 PM
I'd love to see Walker given a shot instead of O'Dwyer tonight. No hard feelings, but O'Dwyer hasn't really impressed me the past few weeks.

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 05:03 PM
Greg/Travelling Titan reckons that it is pissing down at Kogarah!

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 05:04 PM

so low scoring game i guess? i changed my tip from dragons to titans, i will probably regret it(damn my biasism)

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 05:17 PM
#### thanks for reminding me to put tips in!

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 05:22 PM
#### thanks for reminding me to put tips in!

you are picking titans yes?

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 05:23 PM
Yea Titans can't pick against my club.

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 05:32 PM
Yea Titans can't pick against my club.

i havent picked against them ever yet, it sometimes screws me up

Ryan
23-07-10, 06:02 PM

Well, hopefully that will bring the Dragons error rate closer to ours.
Kicking game will be even more important, as well as the intent to hammer Soward.

I'm tipping Rogers for a big one, taking control of the kicking and displaying to Cronulla and Titans that he's worth putting\keeping on the books next year.

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 06:10 PM
Well, hopefully that will bring the Dragons error rate closer to ours.
Kicking game will be even more important, as well as the intent to hammer Soward.

I'm tipping Rogers for a big one, taking control of the kicking and displaying to Cronulla and Titans that he's worth putting\keeping on the books next year.

call me crazy but... last year when we had great attack rogers was at pivot, you see where i'm going with this

gotitans101
23-07-10, 06:15 PM
Just heard on the continuous call team that O'Dwyer is out, Walker comes onto the bench.

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 06:18 PM
Just heard on the continuous call team that O'Dwyer is out, Walker comes onto the bench.

Wow, we are in for an exciting night. Keep any more news coming mate. :thumbsup:

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 06:23 PM
hopefully walker doesn't play frightened like other times, i like it when he backs himself

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 06:24 PM
He just needs to be patient and not try and pull off any magic plays straight away.

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 06:26 PM
He just needs to be patient and not try and pull off any magic plays straight away.

well if we dont win this one i think we can kiss a home semi good-bye

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 06:38 PM
The loss of a home semi would be terrible. We were really banking on a Top 4 finish. I guess if that does happen, it just means we will have to be more battle hardened. Our form away from home hasn't been too bad as well.

I take heart from seeing the Titans wearing their blue home jersey tonight.

Ryan
23-07-10, 08:40 PM
BOOO-YAAA WOPPACHANG MOTHER F:censored:CKERS! :banana:

Not bad for a hopeless team hey? :laugh:

shamus
23-07-10, 08:41 PM
I will be tipping Dragons but for slightly different reasons. The only 2 times I have tipped against the Titans since the start of 2007 was an away game at Melbourne and an away game at Manly and we won both of them. So me being superstitious and all are tipping against them....

oh.......and I have never won a footy tipping comp...DUH!

You farkin' beauty...3 from 3........:banana:

Ryan
23-07-10, 08:42 PM
Luke Bailey MOM - 207mts + 52 tackles :surprise:

Coaster
23-07-10, 08:45 PM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/Ticko-1.jpg

EASY MONEY

gotitans101
23-07-10, 08:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

what a game...well done boys!!!!

Coaster
23-07-10, 08:47 PM
Luke Bailey MOM - 207mts + 52 tackles :surprise:
Are you serious!

Wow, i couldnt watch the game, nor listen to it except the overtime.
Mammoth effort

Tamwelg
23-07-10, 08:47 PM
Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant. OMG what a game.

Tamwelg
23-07-10, 08:48 PM

EASY MONEY

Well done mate.

kwigibo
23-07-10, 08:49 PM

EASY MONEY

You only won because I deliberately put my unlucky $20 on the dragons. I'm taking credit for this victory, whooo!

Boonarga
23-07-10, 08:52 PM
Great game and great win. Apart from the usual stars, I was highly impressed with Ridge even though he had short game time. He looks like a brilliant defender.

titansrawesome
23-07-10, 08:56 PM
yea hewww, damn i wish i bet on the titans, 4.25 at the start on tabsportsbet and 5.50 at halftime

this tells me a few things
1.our wingers are defiantly lethal in space
2.toopi reminds us he is excellent
3.ridge needs to stay in the team
4.bird needs to go to the backrow
5. a bit controversial maybe but i still think we should retain walker on the bench as he will be our ben barba impact player.

thank you that is all.

Ryan
23-07-10, 08:57 PM
Are you serious!

Wow, i couldnt watch the game, nor listen to it except the overtime.
Mammoth effort
All Bailey's meters were made from tough hitups, he also gave a few offloads and the usual kick chasing, ect.

Mini also made +200mts from 22 runs, a f'load of tackles and ZERO erros or penalties!

Presto was at his best.
He is our best 5\8 in attack and our best Fullback in defense.

As a team, they kicked ass. Glad I recored this game, bloody good to watch..

Steelers
23-07-10, 08:59 PM
Hope this shows those doubters to never EVER lose faith in your team and concede defeat before kickoff. Well done, a thoroughly deserved victory. I was gutted though to see Rogers show everyone up and slot that field goal through. Smart play. And he isn't being given a contract for next year? :nonono:

TITAN PETE
23-07-10, 09:07 PM
I Farking Love this Team

Titanic
23-07-10, 09:08 PM
Anyway for what it's worth... Prince to recover form and kick a one pointer to snatch the win.

Okay, so I got the wrong kicker but who freakin' cares?

Ryan
23-07-10, 09:09 PM

I wasnt too far off either......

Boofhead
23-07-10, 09:17 PM
**** me, what a ****ing game!

What a cheeky field goal by Rogers!

Solid debuts my Ridge and Michaels, good stuff fellas.

Ahh... Take that you ****ing doubters!

:fight:

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 09:18 PM
YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A GAME! WHAT A TEAM!!! AND AGAINST OUR ARCH RIVAL THE DRAGONS!

100% record at Kogarah!!!!!

Bailey was just stunningly brilliant tonight. He was a revelation and an inspiration.

Preston Campbell. His massive take of that bomb was amazing. He was just so good. I feel so safe having him back there, like when Lockyer was fullback for the Broncos. You can count on Preston.

I love the Titans! They really showed their potential and passion. They really proved all the doubters wrong and repaid all the faith the believers have in them.

WE JUST KNOCKED OVER THE #1 TEAM AT THEIR HOME GROUND!

Well done to Matt and Greg for getting on TV along with the rest of the Southern Legion.

Like Ryan said, I recorded it as well, so time for a 2nd viewing!!!

Coaster
23-07-10, 09:20 PM
Keep it on tape someone please, it is not shown here until 1am, and i am off skiing at 5am Mount Buller, that bet will pay for the Sambucca.

WOOOOT

Boofhead
23-07-10, 09:22 PM
Can someone please rip this game in HD and upload it and PM me the link, will buy you a beer at the next home game!

I could wank to this game...

I rate this game our best ever win.

Mushi
23-07-10, 09:22 PM
told you I had a good feeling about this game:thumbsup:

Nice to see us on the winning side of a field goal. Credit to all our "old" boys who aimed up tonight and to see princey getting back in there with a lot more confidence. Bailey a well deserved MOM and credit to all the boys for the hard work in defence. Zilly - match review??? do you think????:doh: Lucky I think not to get a penalty there. Hope this game was a big confidence builder and if some other games go our way, we will stay put on 6th for now!!!! Now to smash the warriors next weekend and build up that negative points diff!!:D

Ryan
23-07-10, 09:23 PM
Can someone please rip this game in HD and upload it and PM me the link, will buy you a beer at the next home game!

I could wank to this game...

I rate this game our best ever win.

Where do you upload to? Want me to chuck on abit of porn too?

RobJ
23-07-10, 09:26 PM
How could we NOT re-sign Mat?.......honestly..........

What an awesome team effort.....our season lives.......

Boofhead
23-07-10, 09:26 PM
Where do you upload to? Want me to chuck on abit of porn too?

Nah mate, just the look on Sowards face when Rogers knocks over that goal gets me off.

http://public.me.com/somodei
Will PM the password.

Boofhead
23-07-10, 09:44 PM
No win is sweeter than this. Time to celebrate!
:drinkies: :drinkies: :drinkies:

TITAN PETE
23-07-10, 10:03 PM
Geez that backline looked like something I had read earlier today .,,

TITAN PETE
23-07-10, 10:04 PM
Spoke with Friendy earlier tonight & the boys were confident of the win

shamus
23-07-10, 10:05 PM
Not sure if this will work...

http://bigpondvideo.com/nrl/282630/rd20-dragons-v-titans-hls/

........just the highlights

Nah....didn't work......I will leave it here though..thought I would only get the Titans clip but not the case.

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 10:30 PM
Anyone else see Morris' hand into Zillman's back when he was racing to catch one of Prince's early game shonky cross field bombs? He would have batted that back if he wasn't interfered with.

Also we scored two tries to their one! Booyah!

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 10:32 PM
Titans score thrilling upset over Dragons
Adam Gardini

A sneaky extra time field goal by Mat Rogers has landed the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans a thrilling 11-10 golden point win over the St George Illawarra Dragons at Win Jubilee Stadium tonight.

Rogers landed an 89th minute field goal from dummy half to secure the Titans a much needed victory which keeps them inside the top eight with six games of the regular season remaining.

The result marks the first ever win by a Gold Coast team at WIN Jubilee Stadium.

The Titans trailed 10-6 at halftime after being on the wrong end of a
7-2 penalty count in a tough opening 40 minutes.

But a second half try to winger Kevin Gordon levelled the scores and saw the game ultimately head into golden point.

The Titans had three failed field goal attempts during extra time and the Dragons missed two, before Rogers landed the killer blow with less than one minute remaining.

Backrower Anthony Laffranchi opened the scoring with an early try to give the visitors a 6-nil lead

The Dragons bounced back through a try to Ben Creagh after the decision was sent to the video referee.

The home side edged ahead courtesy of a penalty goal and extended that lead to four points just before halftine when they were awarded a penalty after being disallowed a try.

However, the Titans held the Dragons scoreless in the second half to score a pivotal victory over the competition favourites ahead of next weekend's tough away trip to New Zealand to take on the Warriors.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

shamus
23-07-10, 10:42 PM
the Titans held the Dragons scoreless in the second half

I forgot about that part. Keeping the Dragons scoreless in the second half...........Amazing, considering our second half performances of late. :)

Titantones
23-07-10, 10:50 PM
You farkin' beauty...3 from 3........:banana:

You need to have faith, you boof head. But anyway can keep tipping against them for the rest of the year it seems to be working in our favor.:laugh:

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 10:51 PM
Sure Walker didn't have the best night. But neither did Boyd.

shamus
23-07-10, 10:55 PM
What is classed as a missed tackle? We supposedly missed 43 tackles tonight? If we did then more credit to the boys..coz 43 missed tackles against the team leading the comp by 4 points and to still beat them is absolutely awesome!.......Maybe an airswing is a missed tackle?

......on another note...I got cranky with Lafranchi (poetry in motion there) in the first half coz of the 3 penalties he gave away (all good now Anthony) .......and until I see the replay I cannot remember seeing a penalty in the second half at all......at least not in the back half.

shamus
23-07-10, 11:03 PM
I'll post these all night. I got plenty of beer in the fridge. I love my Titans. Watch presto fly.....................

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 11:12 PM
Game-breaker Rogers celebrates 'a first' after putting the boot into Dragons

MAT ROGERS said he kicked a few field goals when he switched to rugby union but last night he kicked what he thinks is his first NRL field goal to give the Titans a crucial 11-10 golden-point victory against the Dragons.

With just 50 seconds of extra time to play and the score locked at 10-10, Rogers, who does not have a contract for next season, stepped to his left from dummy-half instead of passing to usual field goal kicker Scott Prince and knocked the ball over the crossbar with his natural left foot from straight in front and about 10 metres out.

The kick ended a three-game losing streak for the Titans and kept them in the top eight.

Rogers, 34, is an NRL veteran who made his first-grade debut, for Cronulla, in 1995.

''I think it's my first [rugby league] field goal, I might have kicked one back in under-21s,'' he said.

''I kicked a few in rugby, but I've got my first field goal in rugby league. It's only taken 17 years. Rugby days had nothing to do with it. I was two metres out and right in front and if I'd missed that one, far out, I wouldn't have heard the end of it.''

''I was meant to hit [half-back Prince] with a pass, but I knew they wouldn't pop out to the left, they wouldn't have been thinking, 'Oh, Rogers is a left footer, he'll step out', and I did and it worked. I knew they weren't looking at me, they were thinking Princey all day.

''I'm so pumped for these boys. We've been written off a bit, no one's given us a chance, and there's so much belief in this room. We fought for each other and we came away with a result.''

Rogers normally plays centre but was happy with his performance last night at five-eighth, filling in for Greg Bird, who has a hamstring injury.

He was also very happy with the Titans' effort in keeping the Dragons scoreless in the second half and extra time.

''I think our completions were probably the best they have been all year, which helps. You're not having to defend you line as much, but when we did have to defend our line I thought we were brilliant. The talk was great. We just beat the top side on their home deck on a Friday night and it doesn't get much better than that.''

Rogers left league to play union in 2002 before returning to league with the Titans in 2007.

He is off contract at the end of this year and his future is still uncertain. He said he would make an announcement in the next few weeks, but isn't certain he has a future with the Titans, given his age and salary cap restraints.

''I love the club but I have got to be a realist,'' he said. ''I'll have a chat with [managing director Michael Searle] next week. There might be an opportunity there so we'll have to see."

Source: SMH

teke
23-07-10, 11:19 PM
So its all roses and fairy floss around here now the boys get up.

Well done Titans

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 11:19 PM
http://images.smh.com.au/2010/07/23/1711962/titansfinalwhistle-600x400.jpg
OUR MOMENT OF GLORY.

DIEHARD
23-07-10, 11:21 PM
So its all roses and fairy floss around here now the boys get up.

Enjoying the good times is what supporting a team is all about.

kwigibo
24-07-10, 06:59 AM
Game-breaker Rogers celebrates 'a first' after putting the boot into Dragons

MAT ROGERS said he kicked a few field goals when he switched to rugby union but last night he kicked what he thinks is his first NRL field goal to give the Titans a crucial 11-10 golden-point victory against the Dragons.

With just 50 seconds of extra time to play and the score locked at 10-10, Rogers, who does not have a contract for next season, stepped to his left from dummy-half instead of passing to usual field goal kicker Scott Prince and knocked the ball over the crossbar with his natural left foot from straight in front and about 10 metres out.

The kick ended a three-game losing streak for the Titans and kept them in the top eight.

Rogers, 34, is an NRL veteran who made his first-grade debut, for Cronulla, in 1995.

''I think it's my first [rugby league] field goal, I might have kicked one back in under-21s,'' he said.

''I kicked a few in rugby, but I've got my first field goal in rugby league. It's only taken 17 years. Rugby days had nothing to do with it. I was two metres out and right in front and if I'd missed that one, far out, I wouldn't have heard the end of it.''

''I was meant to hit [half-back Prince] with a pass, but I knew they wouldn't pop out to the left, they wouldn't have been thinking, 'Oh, Rogers is a left footer, he'll step out', and I did and it worked. I knew they weren't looking at me, they were thinking Princey all day.

''I'm so pumped for these boys. We've been written off a bit, no one's given us a chance, and there's so much belief in this room. We fought for each other and we came away with a result.''

Rogers normally plays centre but was happy with his performance last night at five-eighth, filling in for Greg Bird, who has a hamstring injury.

He was also very happy with the Titans' effort in keeping the Dragons scoreless in the second half and extra time.

''I think our completions were probably the best they have been all year, which helps. You're not having to defend you line as much, but when we did have to defend our line I thought we were brilliant. The talk was great. We just beat the top side on their home deck on a Friday night and it doesn't get much better than that.''

Rogers left league to play union in 2002 before returning to league with the Titans in 2007.

He is off contract at the end of this year and his future is still uncertain. He said he would make an announcement in the next few weeks, but isn't certain he has a future with the Titans, given his age and salary cap restraints.

''I love the club but I have got to be a realist,'' he said. ''I'll have a chat with [managing director Michael Searle] next week. There might be an opportunity there so we'll have to see."

Source: SMH

Not your first in League, Mat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_State_of_Origin_series

Soarer
24-07-10, 07:03 AM
What a great game, the titans always show so much enthusiasm, its a shame they didn't keep there top of the ladder lead. Its just payback to the dragons for what they did to us up here.

Anyone know if they like welcome home things when they get off the plane?

Titan2007
24-07-10, 07:23 AM

Go for it, they would love it!

Congrats Titans, what a great game!!

Beachbub23
24-07-10, 09:27 AM

When are they flying home?? Anyone know? Would love to be there after such an awesome game and a great (and very much needed) win! :thumbsup:

titansrawesome
24-07-10, 09:39 AM
we now have the 5 game win streak of new zealand and another back end of year pf the HAYNE TRAIN resurgence, im more confident we would beat nz over parra, but we have the best record against parra :]

karnage
24-07-10, 09:48 AM
Where can I view the presser??

amaline
24-07-10, 10:08 AM
Where can I view the presser??

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/video/0,,NRL%20Media%20Conferences_40178,00.html

lonegull
24-07-10, 12:12 PM
what a great win, this will get the critics hopefully of the titans back and stop saying they arent goin gto make the 8 etc etc
I dont like singling out players when the whole team deserves a wrap, but i tohugth Bailey was great and also Toopi was great in the centres i just watched the game again he down a lot of work that goes unoticed

I think Carty will have a few good selection headaches in the next few weeks
Great win once again and never underestimate the titans

patskE
24-07-10, 12:27 PM
tbh boede Thompson really impressed me last night

DIEHARD
24-07-10, 12:29 PM
According to my information the Titans arrived back on the Gold Coast just after midnight/early Saturday morning.

Which is a shame because it would have been a great chance to cheer the boys home with open arms.

I will let everyone know about the flight home details for the Warriors.

DIEHARD
24-07-10, 12:36 PM
Not your first in League, Mat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_State_of_Origin_series

Nice work Kwigi, we can always count on you to come up with the goods.

I guess the commentators were only looking at NRL records, which isn't the right thing to do. They should also have Origin and Test records on hand when talking about career records.

And with Matty having such a long career...streaking two NRL clubs with a rugby union career in between.... But you would think a field goal that one an Origin by ONE POINT would stick in his head. Maybe not in the head of the aftermath of such a game and it was 11 years ago.

But what a beauty to add to his career highlights. Rogers has always been there for us to win games with plays and defence. He is our hero. :thumbsup:

dee13
24-07-10, 01:15 PM
tbh boede Thompson really impressed me last night

Bodene wasn't too impressive when he joined in the celebrations on field, after the game. He went to jump into the group hug and missed everything and fell on the ground. LOL

The guys were very solid last night and showed alot of courage and heart.

Preston just gets better and better. Bull was outstanding and another massive workload from Friendy. I felt sorry for Shannon who just one week ago was on fire against the South Logan Magpies.

I noticed after the game that Jamie Soward showed Preston Campbell total respect and asked Preston if he could swap headgear, which Preston did.

Mushi
24-07-10, 05:05 PM
I noticed after the game that Jamie Soward showed Preston Campbell total respect and asked Preston if he could swap headgear, which Preston did.

Maybe he's hoping that with Presto's headgear he'll be able to leap up into the air like him!!!:laugh: Gee Preston was on fire last night - for such a little guy he just leaps into the air!!!

titansrawesome
24-07-10, 06:22 PM
a problem arises now, what happens when taga comes back?? we cant get rid of toopi, every game he has played for us has at least been solid.

karnage
24-07-10, 08:35 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/video/0,,NRL%20Media%20Conferences_40178,00.html

Thankyou for that.

I liked Hornby's assessment of the winning fieldgoal: "It was a smart play." Short and sweet!!

jimbeam06
25-07-10, 11:39 AM
That's what im ****ing talking about good win boy's now i can give my mate **** saying we cant beat his side.:thumbsup:

bigjim
25-07-10, 07:11 PM
As is usually the case, I tip against the Titans and they win.

Will have to keep tipping against them for the rest of the season.

The sacrifice is worth it.