PDA

View Full Version : sharks players in a fight

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 06:53 PM
A Cronulla Sharks player needed 20 stitches for a head wound sustained in a training altercation at the NRL club.

Jacob Selmes was taken to hospital with head injuries after an altercation with first-grade forward Hutch Maiava, according television news reports.

An inquiry is believed to be underway at the club.

Coach Stuart Raper confirmed the incident and the players involved.

He is expected to make a statement about the incident later this evening.

Sharks skipper Brett Kimmorley said he was unaware of the incident because the players had been training at different times in different skills groups.

"I suppose if it has happened then we'll have a meeting about it tomorrow to discuss what did occur," Kimmorley said.

An NRL spokesman said the game's governing body was also unaware of the incident but that it would remain a club matter if it had occurred at a private training session.

SMH

Dakink
15-12-05, 06:56 PM
If it was a fight at training them meh it isnt even newsworthy.... Anyone involved in any level of competitive sports knows that tempers will fray occasionaly during a season. Ive played at National level in my sports and tempers frayed there at times.

However if it went further than a dust up at training then that is dissapointing.

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 06:58 PM
Well appreantly the jacob guy had to get upto 17 stitches after the brawl.

Coaster
15-12-05, 07:03 PM
I can see the headlines tommorow.

"More Violence in Cronulla"

Dakink
15-12-05, 07:10 PM
Well appreantly the jacob guy had to get upto 17 stitches after the brawl.

Thats a little more than a dust up - doesnt sound good for team harmony...

Looks like the Sharkies will be waiting a few more years for the first taste of success.

Ripply
15-12-05, 07:32 PM
Awww, everything has to happen to my team doesn't it. Couldn't it happen to an unimportant team like the Rabbitohs.

Moejoe
15-12-05, 07:47 PM
Controversy is good for a team :) Look at the bulldogs a few years ago with a trip to Coffs Harbour pre season-- And what was the result of thier season.

Sharkies for premiers in 2006 :)

Dakink
15-12-05, 07:48 PM
Controversy is good for a team :) Look at the bulldogs a few years ago with a trip to Coffs Harbour pre season-- And what was the result of thier season.

Sharkies for premiers in 2006 :)

LOL after reminding me of that Im gonna but a tenner on 'em!

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 08:02 PM
Just heard on the radio that jacob has been taken to hospital "for head injuries". Raper is expected to have a press conference later tonight.

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 08:08 PM
First post has now been updated with an article

Dakink
15-12-05, 08:09 PM
Might be worth strolling over to the Sharkies web site and see if they release the statement there.

Luke
15-12-05, 08:16 PM
dont ever want to fight with Hutch Maiava

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 08:20 PM
dont ever want to fight with Hutch Maiava

not wrong! this jacob guy is sposedly taller and bigger then maiva and yet hutch really put the hurt on this bloke, just shows you the force and aggression being used.

Moejoe
15-12-05, 10:55 PM
Thursday December 15, 09:55 PM AAP

Sharks player needs stitches after fight

A Cronulla Sharks player needed stitches to his face after a training altercation at the NRL club.

Jacob Selmes was involved in a fight with first-grade forward Hutch Maiava and required attention from the Sharks club doctor.

Cronulla spokesman Rob Willis said the altercation between the forwards took place at this morning's weights session, attended by around 12 Sharks players and the club's strength and conditioning coach.

"Hutch reacted physically, Jacob's had a few stitches," Willis said. "They're saying 20 (stitches), I'm not sure it's that many but he had some stitches in his face.

"Probably guys ran to help break it all up ... I don't even think it was a fight, I just think it was a punch," he said.

New Zealander Maiava, a 120kg giant, made 24 first-grade appearances for the Sharks this year.

Selmes is yet to play first-grade but captained Cronulla's Jersey Flegg side in its finals campaign this season.

Willis said Sharks coach Stuart Raper had been surprised by the incident.

"Pre-season training seemed to have been going so well," he said.

"Jacob was one of our best trainers, he was pushing for a spot in the top 25 so he had nothing to gain from punching anyone in the chin."

Willis said he did not know what had caused the altercation.

He said players were aware of tensions in Cronulla following last weekend's racially-motivated violence, but he doubted the incident had stemmed from that.

"Hutch is a Kiwi and Jacob's not even a local, he's from Port Macquarie so I can't see how either of those two would be too caught up in it," he said.

"Obviously all our players are aware of it because they're living in the backyard of what's happening at Cronulla here ... I really couldn't see it.

"It wasn't something that people could say they could see it coming. No-one said, `gee the boys are tense'.

"It hasn't seemed to surface amongst them in any sort of tension way," Willis said.

Raper will speak to club chief executive Steve Rogers, who is holidaying in Italy and was unaware of the incident when contacted by AAP.

Raper is expected to make a statement on Friday morning.

Sharks skipper Brett Kimmorley said he was unaware of the incident because the players had been training at different times in different skills groups.

"I suppose if it has happened then we'll have a meeting about it to discuss what did occur," Kimmorley said.

An NRL spokesman said it would remain a club matter if the incident took place at a private training session.

Source www.yahoo.com.au

Dakink
15-12-05, 11:01 PM
Wonder what actually happened - Hutch's fists wouldnt be small.

Moejoe
15-12-05, 11:04 PM
Perhaps its a new form of first grade initiation. (ie: If you want to play first grade against the big boys, We got to make sure you can handle the pain :) )

I still say that the sharks are going for the controversial lead up to the 2006 season just like the dogs in 2004 :)

DeeGan
15-12-05, 11:50 PM
Let's hope competitiveness brought this on and nothing else :)

The last person in the Cronulla side I am waiting to go toe to toe with is Hutch just quietly :laugh:

DeeGan

Sharks
16-12-05, 12:10 AM
all this will blow over,just got to think positive and when the rivers red you have to ride the muddy tracks. :)

Super Cronk
16-12-05, 12:20 AM
Ive heard rumours hutch miava will be suspended indefinately.

Super Cronk
16-12-05, 12:29 AM
Ive heard rumours hutch miava will be suspended indefinately.

This just on foxsports.com.au:

CRONULLA prop Hutch Maiava has been suspended indefinitely by the Sharks after decking a teammate at training yesterday.

Sharks lower-grade prop Jacob Selmes reportedly received 17 stitches to his face after he and Maiava became involved in a punch-up in the Cronulla gym.

It is understood the pair were playfighting during a weights session when Maiava threw a stronger punch, and only realised the damage he had done when he went to apologise to the bleeding Selmes.

Maiava, regarded by Sharks teammates as a gentle guy off the field, was immediately remorseful for his actions but was told to not attend training today.

Sharks coach Stuart Raper was last night deciding on a suitable penalty for Maiava, with club chief executive Steve Rogers currently on leave.

"There was a flare up of some sort and the club will deal with it appropriately," said Sharks football manager Greg Pierce.

"But it's not the first time over the years that teammates have got heated at training, at our club and every other club.

"There have been a few of these sorts of things.

"I'm sure Stuart will have it sorted out by [today]."

Selmes is a former captain of the Cronulla Jersey Flegg side, and the club believe he will be a future first grade front-rower alongside Maiava.

Though the incident could - at worst - cost Maiava his contract at the club, it is highly unlikely the big Kiwi will face the sack given the Sharks are already struggling for props following Jason Stevens' and Danny Nutley's departures.

On top of this Maiava is well regarded by the Sharks hierarchy after joining the club from Canterbury last season.

The 29-year-old impressed Cronulla officials when, after verbally agreeing to join the club, he turned down a late Bulldogs push to keep him with more money.

Dreadlocked Maiava quickly became a cult hero for Sharks fans.

Dakink
16-12-05, 08:43 AM
Indefinately suspended for playfighting then throwing a punch that he didnt realise hust the other fella until he saw him bleeding. Hello - we arent talking about Ballerinas here - Hutch knew how hard he was punching and the other guy isnt exactly a wilting flower. Smells of cover up..

Steelers
16-12-05, 05:14 PM
Source: www.foxsports.com.au
SHARKS forward Hutch Maiava was fined $10,000 by the club today for his involvement in a fight at training.

Maiava was also suspended from training until January 4 for his part in yesterday's incident, which also involved young prop Jacob Selmes.

Selmes required stitches to his face after the altercation, which the club said was instigated by Maiava.

Sharks chairman Barry Pierce announced the club's decision today.

"Hutch has been fined $10,000 and has been suspended until training resumes in the New Year," Pierce said.

"As Stuart Raper has said previously, the incident was totally out of character for Hutch, he has been an exceptional trainer and clubman in his time at the Sharks, so we are all very surprised that the incident took place.

"I believe Hutch has been most apologetic but we certainly cannot condone what happened and therefore felt we had to take the course of action which we have."

In a brief statement, Maiava apologised for his actions.

"I'm certainly sorry and embarrassed with what happened," he said.

"I reacted in a way that is totally unacceptable and I apologise to Jacob and his family, to my teammates and to the Sharks club.
"I want to accept the punishment handed down by the club and to try to move on. I look forward to getting back with my teammates and training hard for the season ahead."

Selmes was treated by Sharks club doctor David Givney after the fight and is expected back on deck to resume pre-season training on Monday.

Super Cronk
16-12-05, 09:39 PM
Miava is a thug. He has always had that niggle in his game...he knows he can throw them and uses it in his advantage.

I heard on the news that hutch challenged jacob to lift more wieghts then him...jacbo denied the challenge and sposedly hutch didnt like that at all and threw 2 " playful punches" ...one breaking jacobs nose and the other leaving him with a bad cut that needed stiches.

If i was jacbo selmes i would charge hutch and go looking for another team.

SuperCliffy#01
18-12-05, 02:04 PM
Wonder what actually happened - Hutch's fists wouldnt be small.

What i heard that Hutch had walked over to the Jacob Selmes and began to egg him into lifting heavier weights while he was doing some bench presses, apparently while Jacob Selmes was in the middle of his set he told Hutch to bugger off but in language not allowed on this site, so Hutch kinged hit Jacob while he was holding onto the weights bar unable to defend himself breaking his nose and required some minor cleaning out of floating bone fragments. cya.

Research Station Drive
18-12-05, 05:33 PM
I noted in today's reports about the fight that both Selmes and Maiava have 'Gone to ground'.

I bet the PR department for the Scum from the Shire did everything it could to keep Selmes away from photographers and TV news.

His badly beaten Mug on TV and in the papers would be terrible for the club and the game.