PDA

View Full Version : NRMA television advertisement banned after showing star pl

Sydney Titans Fanatic
13-07-10, 07:39 PM
A TELEVISION advertisement featuring the Brisbane Broncos NRL team has been banned because it shows star player Sam Thaiday stealing chocolate bars from a vending machine.

The NRMA commercial was launched in May and depicts the Brisbane team helping out in the insurance giant?s office.

The company claims the ad was ?light-hearted?, but the joke didn?t go down well with some viewers.

Should the ad have been banned? Watch it right and have your say below

?Why would they show stealing using so called children? role models such a Thiaday,? said one vending machine owner who complained to the Advertising Standards Board. ?I own vending machines theft of product is always a concern.?

The NRMA claimed that Thaiday had already paid for the chocolate, saying: ?The humour of the Advertisement is to show in a light hearted manner that the Broncos players are a bit out of place in a typical office environment due to their size, strength and inexperience.

?In one scene, Sam Thaiday is shown jiggling a vending machine to dislodge a chocolate bar that he had purchased which had become stuck. Consistent with the humour of the Advertisement, this action causes numerous chocolate bars to fall out of the machine because of Sam?s size and strength.?

However, the ASB ruled: ?The Board considered that there is no suggestion that the player has not paid for one of the products and that there is not necessarily a suggestion of theft. However the Board noted it would not be the case that the man would have paid for the number of product that fell from the machine and that therefore there is a depiction or suggestion of theft.?

It added: ?The image of the man shaking the machine from the top is a depiction of an activity that can cause injury.?
dailytelegraph.com.au

DIEHARD
13-07-10, 07:41 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I think it is SILLY. I got nothing but a laugh out of it.

Why dont they also ban the car ad where people ambush a truck and steal all the cars?

GRAND THEFT AUTO ON MASS!

titansrawesome
13-07-10, 08:41 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I think it is SILLY. I got nothing but a laugh out of it.

Why dont they also ban the car ad where people ambush a truck and steal all the cars?

GRAND THEFT AUTO ON MASS!

lol nice one, typical that someone would find an offense with something light hearted, i doubt that any kid is as strong as sammy anyways

Ryan
13-07-10, 08:52 PM
Hands up who DIDN'T try to rip off a vending machine or gumball machine as a kid :rolleyes:

Harry Hardman gets a family friendly 7:30 time slot - no complaints there?

DIEHARD
13-07-10, 09:09 PM
I LOVE Harry The Hardman!!

Ryan
13-07-10, 09:25 PM
I LOVE Harry The Hardman!!
His best character yet, I like him more than Reg.

bigjim
19-07-10, 12:07 PM
I love all the NRMA adds with the Broncasses.

You know, it never even crossed my mind he was stealing.

Shows how my mind works.

Not sure if that good or bad.

TITAN PETE
19-07-10, 12:23 PM
Hands up who DIDN'T try to rip off a vending machine or gumball machine as a kid :rolleyes:

Harry Hardman gets a family friendly 7:30 time slot - no complaints there?

They didn't have Alarms back then :thumbsup:

Harry Hardman would eat Reg :fight:

DIEHARD
19-07-10, 08:14 PM
His best character yet, I like him more than Reg.

LOL totally agree! Plus he is a Queenslander!