PDA

View Full Version : Origin: Gordie supports Victoria Origin

Queenslander
14-12-05, 11:51 AM
QUEENSLAND legend Gorden Tallis says NSW can expect a hostile reception when Origin returns to Melbourne next year.

While technically a Blues home game, Tallis said the decision to move next year's third game of the Origin series to Telstra Dome could play into the Maroons' hands.

"If there's one thing that Victorians and Queenslanders have in common it's a deep dislike of NSW and I think that will show in the crowd," Tallis said yesterday.

"Victorians don't leave their state to live in Sydney, they come to Queensland. I'm sure the majority will get behind the mighty Maroons."

It was a sentiment backed by Melbourne Storm's Queensland hooker Cameron Smith who joined with Tallis and former NSW great Laurie

Daley yesterday to launch ticket sales for the July 6 game.

Origin has not been played in Melbourne since 1997 when NSW won 15-14 at the MCG.

"It will definitely feel like a home game for me and given we have a number of Queensland guys at Storm, I'd be disappointed if we didn't have the majority of the support," Smith said.

"I am really excited about it. I remember watching the games they played in Melbourne as a kid and after living down here for a few years, I know it is going to be really successful."

Tallis said he could understand the frustrations of those who believe Origin should not be played away from the home states, but said it was important in terms of the code's growth.
"A lot of the NSW and Queensland fans won't be happy because it is a bit like taking the Melbourne Cup to Randwick," he said.

"It is a big thing for rugby league to bring our pinnacle game to Melbourne, but if it helps grow the sport down here then I believe it is worthwhile."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17563080-23214,00.html

SOLIOLA
14-12-05, 11:52 AM
the blues always have to give up a game when were suppose to have 2 in nsw

Queenslander
14-12-05, 11:55 AM
the blues always have to give up a game when were suppose to have 2 in nsw

QLD is giving up their's in 2007

SOLIOLA
14-12-05, 12:10 PM
oh ok i thought this was only a 1 off for melbourne siders

Queenslander
14-12-05, 12:17 PM
oh ok i thought this was only a 1 off for melbourne siders

Nah thats cool, i think they are trying to make it permanent but i dont think that will happen ;)

Dakink
14-12-05, 12:50 PM
I love the idea of taking SOO games to different locations.

Reminds me when they took one to the USA. I would love to see that again and with the slight resurgance on the game over there that is something I would love to see happen again.

Steelers
14-12-05, 01:03 PM
I don't like how they are taking the SOO game to Victoria. It is QLD vs NSW, and Victoria have nothing to do with it IMO.

Queenslander
14-12-05, 01:05 PM
I don't like how they are taking the SOO game to Victoria. It is QLD vs NSW, and Victoria have nothing to do with it IMO.

I agree, but with QLD record at Telstra stadium then im glad they are moving at least one game from Telstra to......Telstra.....Dome ;)

Super Cronk
14-12-05, 01:30 PM
I think this has the ability to get some intrest and a decent crowd down there and therefore helping league to grow, but only if it is promoted and done right. If like storm games it isnt promoted by the NRL and other bodies then it wont go anywhere and people will be saying it was a failure.

Dakink
14-12-05, 01:57 PM
This is more about growing the game in a market that needs the help. We cant be so short sighted to not take this chance when we can.

Dragons
14-12-05, 04:19 PM
I agree it a NSW v QLD thing, all the other states can watch on tv. I think they show it live in Vic anyway.

DIEHARD
14-12-05, 04:25 PM
Good old Gordie, I love his style.

The Victorians will certainly be on our side, an enemy of an enemy is a friend. :thumbsup:

I hope they take the opportunity to fill the merchandise stands with Melbourne Storm gear!

Christabella
14-12-05, 09:33 PM
I agree it a NSW v QLD thing, all the other states can watch on tv. I think they show it live in Vic anyway.
Ah but thats just it they don't show it live.
Unless you go to an organised showing Victorians are unable to see the Origin games until much later that night. Heck the point was raised that you could watch it live in England but not in Victoria.

I only wish it was a week earlier so I could get to the game.

Dakink
14-12-05, 09:37 PM
Im pretty sure that it wasnt on till 2am this year.

Super Cronk
14-12-05, 09:41 PM
Yeah from what ive heard they show them pretty late down there. It was funny as christa noted above that other countries were getting the game live ...yet in victoria, who had 3 players from that state, didnt get it till the late hours of the night. But even late hours it got pretty good audiences.

SuperCliffy#01
15-12-05, 12:15 PM

maybe not now but in five to ten years they (the Victorians) may have a State of Origin class side and we then will play a tri-series, imo that is only good for the game.cya.

Teegy
15-12-05, 12:37 PM
maybe not now but in five to ten years they (the Victorians) may have a State of Origin class side and we then will play a tri-series, imo that is only good for the game.cya.
No way should that happen. it should be shown live but the games should be played in QLD and NSW

Queenslander
15-12-05, 01:04 PM
No way should that happen. it should be shown live but the games should be played in QLD and NSW

Yup totally agree State of Origin should only be between QLD and NSW.

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 04:34 PM
Yup totally agree State of Origin should only be between QLD and NSW.

it still is between them.

Queenslander
15-12-05, 05:23 PM
it still is between them.

Yeah i know ;) it was suggested by another member that Victoria have their own team in state of origin :noidea:

Super Cronk
15-12-05, 05:28 PM
Yeah i know ;) it was suggested by another member that Victoria have their own team in state of origin :noidea:

oh....yeah i dont agree with that ethier.

SuperCliffy#01
16-12-05, 12:33 PM
I am surprised that there are those who object to Victoria having an eventual State of Origin side, then tell me this if you have enough players that are Victorian in say 15 years from now that are up to State of Origin Class and represented Victoria in an under 16 team for whom do they play for either NSW or QLD when they are senior players, if you follow the rules they can never play State of Origin, due to their first time as Juniors they represented Victoria thus eliminating then from representing honours either in the Sky Blue or Maroons.

Those who object are in my opinon are selfish and dont give a damn for the future expansion of the game. cya.