PDA

View Full Version : State of Origin: Game 3 (2010)

DIEHARD
22-06-10, 05:14 AM
NEW SOUTH WALES BLUES vs QUEENSLAND MAROONS
8:00PM Wednesday 7 July 2010 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney
BLUES

TBA

MAROONS

TBA

DIEHARD
22-06-10, 05:15 AM
Take it from someone whose team is on the edge of a white wash and from a fan of the same team who was white washed in 2000.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DEAD RUBBER IN STATE OF ORIGIN!

Surfers6
25-06-10, 01:31 PM
Im a QLD but NSW needs to go with something like this.

(Players in position and youth)

1 Hayne
2 Morris
3 Morris
4 Jennings
5 Merritt
6 Soward / Bird
7 Pearce
8 Douglas
9 Farah
10 Weyman
11 Watmough
12 Laffranchi
13 Lewis

14 Bird / Soward
15 Galloway
16 Leroyd Lars
17 Gallen / Heighington/ G.Stewart

This is a side for the future.

titansrawesome
25-06-10, 02:02 PM
thats a pretty decent side, however i think it needs people with pride ill show you my side and what i mean

1.Hayne
2.Morris
3.Morris
4.Jennings
5.Merrit
6.Bird
7.Pearce
8.Snowden
9.Farah(seriously they need an attacking spark)
10.Weyman
11.Watmough
12.Hindmarsh
13.Lewis
14.Soward
15.Tongue
16.Stewart
17.Galloway

these guys actually have pride in winning in losing

Surfers6
25-06-10, 04:57 PM
thats a pretty decent side, however i think it needs people with pride ill show you my side and what i mean

1.Hayne
2.Morris
3.Morris
4.Jennings
5.Merrit
6.Bird
7.Pearce
8.Snowden
9.Farah(seriously they need an attacking spark)
10.Weyman
11.Watmough
12.Hindmarsh
13.Lewis
14.Soward
15.Tongue
16.Stewart
17.Galloway

these guys actually have pride in winning in losing

I like snowden too but s suspended i think and wont get a game before the side is picked. Good you agree on a few, Galloway, Merrit deserves ago.
Farah better atacking spark then enis and can still tackle.
Forget about Hindy, if you want tongue you cant have hindy. same thing.
good ideas by us. if they went with what we have they would have a chance in 2011.

titansrawesome
25-06-10, 05:07 PM
but this is wishful thinking for blues fans as the selectors are brain damaged from being dropped by QLD'ers in their playing days.

combocaz
25-06-10, 06:08 PM
1. Jarryd Hayne fullback
2. Kevin Gordon wing
3. Michael Jennings centre
4. Josh Morris centre
5. Blake Ferguson wing
6. Jamie Soward 5/8
7. Mitchell Pearce halfback
8. Greg Bird lock
9. Robbie Farah hooker
10. Michael Weyman prop
11. Anthony Laffranchi 2nd row
12. Anthony Watmough 2nd row
13. Luke Lewis (captain) prop

14. Chris Heighington
15. Willie Mason
16. Brett White
17. Luke Walsh

titansrawesome
25-06-10, 06:15 PM
1. Jarryd Hayne fullback
2. Kevin Gordon wing
3. Michael Jennings centre
4. Josh Morris centre
5. Blake Ferguson wing
6. Jamie Soward 5/8
7. Mitchell Pearce halfback
8. Greg Bird lock
9. Robbie Farah hooker
10. Michael Weyman prop
11. Anthony Laffranchi 2nd row
12. Anthony Watmough 2nd row
13. Luke Lewis (captain) prop

14. Chris Heighington
15. Willie Mason
16. Brett White
17. Luke Walsh

awful team and 8 is not lock and 13 is not prop.

Ryan
25-06-10, 06:19 PM
Merrit is a joke, doesnt have the balls, ability or even the body to play origin.
Jennings & Merrit trying to defend Ingliss & Boyd would be hilarious!
Soward isn't a utility, he's either your starting 5/8 or he's not there at all, why waste a bench spot with spare half?
And in a game that is won\lost in the forward battle - why only have one prop on the bench?

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 01:14 AM
Gotta have Bird, Jennings and Soward in the Blues.

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 01:40 AM
Enforcer Bird wants a crack at Qld

UNCOMPROMISING Titans enforcer Greg Bird yesterday scoffed at the suggestion Queensland were invincible, calling on NSW selectors to look to the future to prevent a Maroons clean sweep.

With the series already lost and the Origin shield headed north for the fifth straight year, the Blues go into the final game in Sydney on July 7 as a state under siege.

Many observers have already written off their chances of stopping Mal Meninga's juggernaut finishing the series undefeated.

But Bird, who has been snubbed by selectors for the first two games, believes NSW has more than enough talent to strike back.

"I think there is a NSW team that could be picked at the moment that could beat Queensland," said Gold Coast five-eighth Bird, who was overlooked in favour of Jamie Lyon in game one and Trent Barrett in game two.

"I definitely think they can be beaten.

"Queensland will be out there wanting to make a clean sweep to seal their five series in a row.

"So I think the series is far from over.

"The winner and loser has been chosen, but there is still 80 minutes of football still to be played."

Asked if beating Queensland meant clearing out the dead wood in the playing ranks and looking to the Blues of the future, Bird said: "To an extent I think they should.

"But like any team, you still need that nucleus of seniority in the team."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

gratlog
27-06-10, 08:26 AM
Will Weyman get sent out for his spear tackle?
:)

Also on last nights performance you wouldn't have Haynes in a blue jersey:)

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 08:48 AM
It remains to be seen whether the Blues rally or capitulate in Game 3.

Hopefully they play for pride and build for the future.

Why not try and win THIS year and then the pyschological barrier isn't as high for them in 2011.

But the more disarray the better IMO.

kwigibo
27-06-10, 10:07 PM
NSW

Hayne
Gordon
Champion
Morris
Morris

Soward
Walsh

Douglas
Farah
Galloway
Heighington
Minchiello
Bird

Lewis
Mannah
Leroyd-Lars
Tolman

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 11:44 AM
The NSW Blues team will be announced at half time of Monday Nighty Football tonight. Raiders v Bulldogs.

Coaster
28-06-10, 12:09 PM
Not going to get the game live here into Melbourne.

They are replacing it with Hey hey its Saturday, on a Wednesday.

I just rang and asked WTF? Was told the the desiciuon had been made and thats League doesnt rate well, i asked what basis they came to that desicion, considering that the Friday night games are never before midnight, the Sunday game is not shown at all, and the SOO will be delayed??

I hate them.

ring and complain
03 9420 3111
i spoke to Lorander

titansrawesome
28-06-10, 01:27 PM
thats because melbourne people would rather watch gayfl games with adelaide beating richmond by 50 points then an awesome nrl game.

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 02:43 PM
ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!

I'll definitely ring them Coaster. Im militant like that!

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 03:06 PM
thats because melbourne people would rather watch gayfl games with adelaide beating richmond by 50 points then an awesome nrl game.

It's untrue that RUgby League doesnt rate in VIC. For instance NRL Grand Final and Origins.

In NSW and QLD Lions and Swans haves are televised LIVE and consistantly to uninspiring ratings. Yet the AFL's broadcast partners persist.

I expect nothing less from NINE, our alleged broadcast partner.

titansrawesome
28-06-10, 03:16 PM
It's untrue that RUgby League doesnt rate in VIC. For instance NRL Grand Final and Origins.

In NSW and QLD Lions and Swans haves are televised LIVE and consistantly to uninspiring ratings. Yet the AFL's broadcast partners persist.

I expect nothing less from NINE, our alleged broadcast partner.

yeah but have been to vic you have to wait ill midnight o watch a game, i remember i had to wait to 1am to watch the storm vs titans in 08

TUF
28-06-10, 04:08 PM
I'm with you. I think Hayne needs an attitude transplant. I wouldn't have him in my team.

Ryan
28-06-10, 08:46 PM
NSW are starting to show signs of picking a good side :rolleyes:
They must have heard that Bird is the word!

titansrawesome
28-06-10, 09:00 PM
NSW are starting to show signs of picking a good side :rolleyes:
They must have heard that Bird is the word!

they picked a pretty decent team aye, oh wait beau scott is still there:doh:

Titan2007
29-06-10, 07:14 AM
GO QUEENSLAND :)

DIEHARD
29-06-10, 10:20 AM
They picked a rather decent team. Let's see if confidence and passion goes with it.

I hope they get a good crowd down there. I see they are heavily discounting tickets. Which isn't exactly fair to the loyal fans who bought them at full price already.

DIEHARD
29-06-10, 10:30 AM
Bird is the word for Blues

NSW enforcer Greg Bird last night forced his way back into the Blues squad delighting Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright.

"I've said all along he is an Origin type player. He has been there before. He has won man-of-the-match awards, he has won series and he is only 25-years of age.

"His best footy is in front of him, so he is the type of player I'd be looking at for the future," said Cartwright.
"He can't do much more. He never stops trying."

Desperate NSW selectors have named three debutant frontrowers in a bid to deny Queensland a clean sweep of the series on July 7.

Manly co-captain Jason King, Cronulla's Kade Snowden and Parramatta's Tim Mannah, who was named on the bench, will be asked to provide go-forward for the Blues with Michael Weyman unavailable through suspension and Brett White dropped.

They will join Penrith winger Michael Gordon, who edged South Sydney's Nathan Merritt, in playing their first Origin game in the ANZ Stadium dead rubber on July 7, among eight changes to the side humiliated 34-6 by the Maroons at Suncorp Stadium.

"It's a very young front row rotation," said coach Craig Bellamy.

"We think that's the right way to go for this game, to put some young guys in and give them a chance at this level.

"It's an area that we probably haven't been that good at in the first two games."

Goalkicking maestro Gordon will be joined by Panthers team-mate Michael Jennings, whose electrifying performances at club level have finally earned him a recall after two games in 2009.

Gold Coast five-eighth Greg Bird will play his first Origin game since 2008 after being named at lock, while game one forwards Luke Lewis (suspension) and Anthony Watmough (groin) also return.

As expected, five-eighth Trent Barrett assumes the captaincy with Kurt Gidley again on the bench.

Bellamy is unlikely to be at the helm of the Blues after three series losses, but he conceded the selectors were looking beyond 10 days' time.

"There could have been one eye or half an eye on the future because of a few of the younger blokes that we've put in and you do that sometimes when the series is over," he said.

"But we've got another game to play and it's an Origin game so it's important and we certainly just haven't been giving out jumpers here.

"We think this team can be really competitive."

Gone are Weyman, White, centre Matt Cooper (hamstring), forward Luke O'Donnell (suspension), winger Joel Monaghan and backrowers Ben Creagh, Trent Waterhouse and Nathan Hindmarsh.

Timana Tahu, who walked out of the Blues camp in protest at a racial slur by then assistant coach Andrew Johns, is also unavailable due to suspension.

Bellamy said he had targeted areas for the side to improve on.

* WITH giant Penrith prop Petero Civoniceva playing his way back into the No.10 Queensland jumper for the 26th time for Origin 3, Ben Hannant is tipped as the player to miss out when the Queensland side is named today.

Selectors are expected to stick with Matt Scott and Dave Shillington in their quest a first clean sweep since 1995.

Civoniceva will come into the starting front row with Scott which is the way Queensland started in their 28-24 win in Origin 1 in Sydney.

NSW team:

Jarryd Hayne, Brett Morris, Michael Jennings, Beau Scott, Michael Gordon, Trent Barrett (capt), Mitchell Pearce, Jason King, Michael Ennis, Kade Snowden, Luke Lewis, Paul Gallen, Greg Bird. Interchange: Kurt Gidley, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Tim Mannah, Anthony Watmough.

DIEHARD
29-06-10, 10:30 AM
Hope it takes Bird to a new level when he returns to the Titans.

TITAN PETE
29-06-10, 03:20 PM
The very Overrated Hannent Gonnne

TITAN PETE
29-06-10, 03:21 PM
Petero Civoniceva returns from injury in Queensland's only team change for the third State of Origin rugby league match against NSW on July 7.

Civoniceva missed game two with a broken hand suffered in game one, but he comes back at prop in place of Ben Hannant who drops out of the squad.

Queensland will be seeking a series cleansweep in the match at ANZ Stadium to cap their fifth straight Origin series triumph.

South Sydney second rower Ben Lowe has been called into camp as 18th man.

Queensland team: Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Willie Tonga, Israel Folau, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Nate Myles, Sam Thaiday, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Cooper Cronk, David Shillington, Neville Costigan, Dave Taylor.

(18th man Ben Lowe)

Sydney Titans Fanatic
29-06-10, 07:36 PM
i thought folau was going to be banned

Titan2007
30-06-10, 07:53 AM
The very Overrated Hannent Gonnne

I don't believe any Queensland player is overated. They have all contributed to the historic win. U would have to be a N.S.Welshman to say that about Hannant. He is very unlucky to not get a spot off the bench. Ah, but the riches that Queensland has with playing talent, mean some miss out. ;)
GO QUEENSLAND!

DIEHARD
30-06-10, 01:43 PM
i thought folau was going to be banned

I think the ARL/NSWRL backed down. And good thing they did, best to focus on the formation of the intedependent commission and not squabble over this issue.

DIEHARD
30-06-10, 01:44 PM
Taylor had a nervous wait

WHEN his phone hadn't rung, Dave Taylor started to get a little bit nervous about his Maroon jersey.

Knowing Petero Civoniceva was due for a return, Taylor, who only debuted in Game 1, was banking on a show of faith from coach Mal Meninga and yesterday he got it when he joined his teammates in camp at Coolum ahead of next Wednesday's series finale in Sydney.

"I was quite nervous (on Monday) night," laughed an ecstatic Taylor, who kept his spot ahead of former Burleigh junior Ben Hannant.

"I hadn't received a phone call and it was about 7 o'clock and I was thinking maybe I would have to wait for another chance.

"But I'm extremely happy they stuck with me and extremely privileged to be back."

With injury forcing big Petero out of the Maroons' victorious outing at Suncorp Stadium earlier this month, he was yesterday welcomed back by Meninga, who admits the 34-year-old's return was a significant boost.

"It's always great to bring Petero into the side. He is the No. 1 prop in the game, highly respected and his presence is a big boost for the team," said Meninga of Civoniceva.

A man of loyalty, evident in that 11 players named for next week had played a part in at least the past three series, Meninga said the decision to leave Hannant out of the squad had been extremely tough.

He said it was the unfortunate timing of the Bulldogs prop's knee injury, that kept him out of Origin 1, that eventually cost him.

"With Benny it was unfortunate he was injured when the first team was going to be selected," he said.

"It was a hard one but in the end Dave Shillington, Matty Scott and Dave Taylor played really well in the first two games.

"Matty Scott was nearly the best player in Game 1, Dave Shillington was the best player in Game 2 and Dave Taylor's impact off the bench has been fantastic.

"And you don't leave the No.1 prop in the game (Civoniceva) out of your side," said Meninga.

"Unfortunately Ben was the victim of those circumstances."

Known for his ability to wreak havoc on the opposition defence, Taylor hopes he can provide a greater impact for the Maroons from the bench after his marked improvement in Game 2.

In the middle of the dust-up with Blues forward Luke O'Donnell, Taylor, who turns 22 a day after next week's battle, delivered a performane he said had proven to himself he could play Origin.

"I wasn't too sure coming into the first camp how I would adapt to the way Origin was played and I was pretty happy with how I went," he said.

"I'm glad I have another chance."

DIEHARD
30-06-10, 01:45 PM
Maroons too ****y, says Bird

TITANS playmaker Greg Bird knows he may upset some of the locals on the Gold Coast but he wants them to know they're `dreaming' if they think a Queensland cleansweep is home and hosed.

Bird's back in the Blues' fold for the first time since 2008 and has scoffed at talk Darren Lockyer's Maroons are unbeatable in next week's final State of Origin clash.

"There's no team that's unbeatable," said Bird as he joined the Blues in camp at ANZ Stadium in Sydney yesterday to prepare for next Wednesday's game.

"You know it was (only) five or six years ago they were saying the same thing about NSW.

"They were talking about calling it quits and how NSW will never get beaten but that's just how things change. There's no reason why it can't turn back the other way again. I definitely think they're beatable."

Bird will play lock in the Sydney showdown next Wednesday for Game 3.

The former Test and Origin five-eighth only returned to the NRL this season from French side Les Catalans.

"I was away for a year and I never expected to come back and slip straight back into where I was," said Bird.

"I wasn't resting on my laurels. I had to come back and earn a spot. I'm just happy that I've earnt it back and it's not because of my past performances, it's because of my current form.

"I was disappointed that I didn't have a say in the result of Game 1 or 2. Now I have a say and I'm going to go out there and give it everything I've got."

Prior to Sunday's loss to the Knights, the Titans had bounced back from a mid-season slump to string together back-to-back wins.

Bird believes the fact he showed selectors his combinations at the club were slowly coming together, helped him reclaim a Blues jumper.

"I've always said when I came back that it's a growing thing and you improve week by week when you slip into a new team especially in the halves," he said.

"But the team that I've got around me has given me the opportunity to find my form to earn this position.

"The team I have around me is great up there with Luke Bailey and Brad Meyers up front and `Princey' leading us around with `Presto' and Matty Rogers with the speed.

"That's just experience and then you've got the youth coming through in David Mead and Kevin Gordon and the likes.

"We have a great mix of players up there and I'm just lucky that I have a good team that can compliment my game."

While he rates the Queenslanders as `definitely beatable' the 25-year-old knows only too well what Darren Lockyer led Maroon teams can do to the Blues especially when the likes of Greg Inglis and Israel Folau are on fire.

With four rookies and eight changes to the side beaten in game two in Brisbane the Blues are very much starting from scratch but Bird's confident a new era is not far away for NSW.

"Yeah definitely. In '07 we had to prevent the cleansweep and we did that," he said.

"In '08 I think that was probably our biggest opportunity to knock them off. Winning Game 1, getting done in two and having the game in our grasp in Game 3 and just losing it right at the end there.

"I've been involved in the highs and lows of rugby league at all levels so I'm definitely, definitely glad to be back and glad to have an opportunity to try and turn the tide.

"I think their (Queensland) domination has been everywhere. You can't hide from it and we've gotta go out there and try and build something a lot of people haven't seen for the last five or six years."

DIEHARD
30-06-10, 01:46 PM
Tweed boy to face Queenland big guns

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/06/29/NSWORIGINT_WEB_PHOTO_NN915222_368456.JPG
Blues new boy Michael Gordon says there is no better test than going up against the best

HE'S the Tweed Coast Raider brought in as part of a massive revamp of the Blues side but Michael Gordon knows he'll be the one under siege during his State of Origin debut and he has no fears.

The Penrith winger has replaced Canberra Raider Joel Monaghan in the NSW side for next Wednesday's Game 3 in Sydney.

At just 179cm Gordon gives away plenty in height to Queensland backline giants Israel Folau and Greg Inglis who are both 195cm.

"I think it'll be a great test," he admitted in an understatement.

"There's talk they're one of the best teams in Origin history and there's no better test than going up against the best so I think it'll be unreal."

As for talk the new Blues face a mauling in what many see as Mission Impossible: "No. Not at all. Well I'm sure we'll be going out to win it and I'll be going out to do my best and I'm sure everyone else will be.

"It's something you dream of, you want to play against the best so I'm looking forward to it."

Gordon has been waiting for this moment since he first pulled on a boot with Tweed Coast.

The former Kingscliff High student switched to Seagulls for a crack at Queensland Cup before the Panthers swooped and he made his top grade debut for the club in 2006.

The 26-year-old is the competition's leading pointscorer with 148 points from seven tries and 60 goals.

"Obviously it helps being a goal kicker but hopefully I got picked on my form rather than just kicking," said Gordon, who's not sure yet if he'll take the shots for the Blues.

"I haven't spoken to them. I don't know if they want me to kick but if they do I'll be more than happy to.

"I'm pretty nervous kicking in the NRL so it'd just be a bit of extra (pressure). Once I had that first kick I'd know how I'm going."

Gordon was the bolter for the Blues with fellow rookies and front rowers Kade Snowden, Tim Mannah and Jason King long mentioned as possible changes to the side that lost Game 2.

While Gordon's name was tossed up at the weekend he didn't believe it when Penrith chief executive Mick Leary called with the news.

"It was a bit hard to contain myself but, yeah, I still had to watch the press conference to make sure it was real," said Gordon.

"It's a bit overwhelming, a bit surreal but no I'm just stoked to be here. It was definitely a shock and I wasn't really expecting it but I'm just over the moon."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
06-07-10, 05:35 PM
It'll be strictly business for Qld

QUEENSLAND players will resist the temptation to use tomorrow night's `dead' Origin rubber in Sydney to square up for what they believe has been a dirty series by a desperate Blues outfit.

While warning the Blues they had had a gutful of their underhanded tactics, the Maroons vowed to maintain their steely discipline in Origin 3 in the hope of confirming their greatness with a clean sweep.

Queensland warhorse Petero Civoniceva revealed the Maroons have watched a `lowlights' video package compiled by furious coach Mal Meninga, displaying unsavoury incidents and cheap shots employed by the Blues in a desperate bid to avoid an embarrassing fifth straight series loss.

Hooker Cameron Smith said he was shocked at the amount of niggle which went unnoticed by referees during Queensland's series-clinching 34-6 win at Suncorp Stadium.

"I wouldn't say I was surprised by it ... I was probably more surprised at how much of it there was. It was pretty much every tackle," he said.

"I didn't see it on the night but we've seen a clip where Sammy (Sam Thaiday) takes the ball up early in the game and (NSW forward Michael) Weyman grabs him by the hair and rips his head back.

"That stuff's a bit uncalled for. There's always going to be a bit of niggle when you know you're playing against a good side that you don't know how to stop."

With NSW reuniting renowned enforcers Greg Bird and Paul Gallen for Origin 3, Smith isn't expecting any less tomorrow night.

"We've already spoken about it and what we need to do," declared Smith.

"We've just got to keep a cool head, cop what they dish out.

"A few years ago blokes would have got up swinging and be filthy about what they've copped. We know you've just got to take your medicine and not get sucked in because that's what's best for the side."

Smith said Queensland's strength throughout the 2010 series had been discipline and a staunch refusal to get caught up in the niggle.

And even if they are well ahead on the scoreboard, Smith doubts there'll be any square-ups at ANZ Stadium.

"Maybe if we're up by 30 with five minutes to go the big boys might bung something on," he grinned.

"That's why we're a better footy side, we just worry about playing football and not putting in any of the other stuff.

"At this level, if you get caught up in that stuff it doesn't work, it just becomes a bash-a-thon.

"We've got a good enough football side to put points on the board rather than be putting forearms on someone's head or pulling hair."

Meninga's champion Queensland side can put the icing on their Origin cake by completing the state's first clean sweep since 1995 tomorrow night.

"It's hard enough winning an Origin series let alone clean sweeping it," said Smith.

"But it would be nice and all the boys are pretty desperate to do it because we might not ever do it again."

DIEHARD
06-07-10, 05:36 PM
Barrett hungry for a Blues victory

STOP the clean sweep -- that's the mission for NSW skipper Trent Barrett as he looks to lay the foundation for the Blues' State of Origin revival.

Queensland have already won a historic fifth series in a row but the Maroons are determined to heap more misery on the Blues.

A 3-0 whitewash would be the ultimate humiliation but Barrett says an upset victory at Sydney's ANZ Stadium tomorrow night would give the Blues the confidence they can end Queensland's reign in 2011.

"This isn't a dead rubber for us. This is a really important game," said Barrett.

"The series is gone but we have to restore some pride and we've got to stop a clean sweep. We have really got an eye to next year's series and the selectors have shown that with a lot of the guys they have picked."

NSW had no answer for the attacking might of the Maroons in Game 2 in Brisbane.

The Blues claimed Timana Tahu's walkout from camp after racist remarks were made by assistant coach Andrew Johns had no impact but Barrett said yesterday 'certainly you can do without it'.

This time NSW selectors have made eight changes to their line-up, including four Origin rookies in winger Michael Gordon and props Kade Snowden, Tim Mannah and Jason King.

Panthers flier Michael Jennings will also play his first Origin for the year in the centres and Barrett believes the changes give them much more potency in attack.

"I think we've got the team here that can do it," said Barrett.

For Barrett, tomorrow night's game will bring down the curtain on a State of Origin career which kicked off in 1997.

The young gun from the Illawarra Steelers was thrown in to a Blues side coached by Origin legend Tommy Raudonikis.

"It's been a hell of a ride," said Barrett, who's now at the Sharks after a lengthy career primarily with the merged St George-Illawarra and Wigan.

"If anyone had have told me I would have been able to do the things I've done I would have been pretty happy with it.

"I'm really excited and glad I've been given an opportunity.

"With me probably more than likely to retire, this will probably be my last Origin and it's one that I want to remember and one that I want to win," he said.

DIEHARD
06-07-10, 06:05 PM
NSW's dirty three exposed, but Maroons won't rise to Origin niggle tactics

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/07/05/1225888/230742-trent-barrett-michael-ennis-and-paul-gallen.jpg

THESE are the three Blues Queensland have exposed as cheap-shot merchants in the secret dossier fuelling the Maroons' mission to embarrass NSW in Origin III tomorrow night.

A smouldering Queensland squad believes Paul Gallen, Michael Ennis and one-off skipper Trent Barrett stand at the heart of NSW tactics labelled illegal and grubby.

As revealed in The Courier-Mail yesterday, the Maroons have been presented vision of numerous Blues cheap shots unleashed in this year's fiery interstate series, giving them added ammunition to humiliate NSW at Sydney's ANZ Stadium tomorrow night.

"Game Two, there was plenty of it, seeing the replay it was more than I actually thought there was during the game," Smith said. "That was part of their tactics, to try to get under our skin and put us off our game.

"But that's why we played so well, we didn't let any of that get to us, we didn't buy into any of their niggle on the ground. We just did our talking on the scoreboard.

"I was surprised with how much of it there was, it was pretty much every tackle there was something in there. He (Meninga) showed us a few clips just to show us what went on and the blokes that were involved.

"I didn't see it on the night but we've seen a clip where Sammy (Thaiday) took a hit-up early on and (suspended prop Michael Weyman) Weyman actually grabbed his hair and ripped his head back. That sort of stuff is a bit uncalled for."

Gallen unleashed a late shot and follow-up elbow on Maroons forward Nate Myles in Origin II, while ill-feeling with Barrett dates backs to his sickening high shot on Greg Inglis in Game Two last year.

But it is the litter of other unnoticed and unpoliced ruck incidents, brought to their attention by Meninga's think-tank, which have Queensland primed to deliver the Blues their last rites on the eve of their historic cleansweep bid.

"There's always going to be a bit of niggle when you know you're playing against a good side and you don't know how to stop them," Smith said.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
06-07-10, 06:06 PM
Great idea for the Maroons to throw the focus on them, so if they do it, hopefully they get pinged for it!

DIEHARD
07-07-10, 11:55 AM
Everyone pumped for Origin tonight? I can't wait.

TITAN PETE
07-07-10, 02:09 PM
Everyone pumped for Origin tonight? I can't wait.

Mate i'm a Battered Blue but i still can't wait :fight:

Cowboy Titan
07-07-10, 04:28 PM
Everyone pumped for Origin tonight? I can't wait.Already dressed in Maroon, the food's ready - just waiting for the gang to arrive to witness a MAROONWASH!!!!

titansrawesome
07-07-10, 06:46 PM
what are the odds of qld winning 2nite?

Dragons
07-07-10, 08:16 PM
I liked that version of the anthem :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
07-07-10, 09:01 PM
I liked that version of the anthem :thumbsup:

I'm sure it was to keep Ingliss happy

Dragons
07-07-10, 09:01 PM
Who picked that field goal by Lockyer! Blues are still going to win.

Dragons
07-07-10, 09:05 PM
I'm sure it was to keep Ingliss happy

Tell him to look at his birth certificate!:boo:

titansrawesome
07-07-10, 10:05 PM
GREG BIRD WAS OUTSTANDING FOR NSW, as was billy slater for qld, 3-0 baby yeaheww, michael ennis the grubby bastard cost nsw the game hahahahaha

Titan2007
08-07-10, 08:50 AM
Queenland were outstanding last night! NSW have nothing. Even when NSW were ahead I knew Qld would bounce back and win the game. NSW tried their niggle and dirty tactics, although not as much as in game 1 and 2, and they still couldn't rattle them. ALL the Qld boys can hold their heads high. These players have been there the whole series, not the 'would be, wanna be's, we know as NSW origin players. Bring on 2011! QUEENSLANDER!

Steelers
08-07-10, 10:58 AM
The difference between the two sides?

QLD had 15 players that played all 3 games this series (and only didn't have all 17 play all 3 games due to injuries)
NSW had 5 players that played all 3 games this series

dee13
08-07-10, 04:19 PM
Who else noticed that QLD were to full of their own importance to run out through the honour guard of children before the game. These kids have waited to get a glimpse and touch the hand of their heros and there heros didn't give them the time of day. PATHETIC QLD!!!

As far as Im concerned REAL CHAMPIONS don't treat fans, especially young fans, that way. Give the kids a high 5 you arrogant F-wits. It won't cost you anything.:fight:

titansrawesome
08-07-10, 04:23 PM
Who else noticed that QLD were to full of their own importance to run out through the honour guard of children before the game. These kids have waited to get a glimpse and touch the hand of their heros and there heros didn't give them the time of day. PATHETIC QLD!!!

As far as Im concerned REAL CHAMPIONS don't treat fans, especially young fans, that way. Give the kids a high 5 you arrogant F-wits. It won't cost you anything.:fight:

who gives a ****e, just because your a nsw fan, remember west coast winning the 2006 premiership?

dee13
08-07-10, 04:47 PM
who gives a ****e, just because your a nsw fan, remember west coast winning the 2006 premiership?

You know who gives a ****e. Everyone of those kids that QLD snubbed and until last night I was a QLD supporter.

The NRL want to retain children in the sport then they had better get players to do the simple things like running through the middle of an honour guard.

If my son chose to play rugby league, I would never want him to grow up and act like some arrogant jackass that thought he was above everyone else.

I will put my money on the fact that, If it was an honour guard of past State of Origin players, there would be no hesitation that every QLD player would run through the middle of them.

jenwood
08-07-10, 05:19 PM
I read somewhere today that the reason Lockyer turned left when he ran out on the field was he didnt want the team to run through a tunnel consisting of NSW FOGS!!! And rightly so- why should they! J.T. was the only qlder who did run through the tunnel of NSW FOGs and that was so he could high-five the kids!

dee13
08-07-10, 05:34 PM
I read somewhere today that the reason Lockyer turned left when he ran out on the field was he didnt want the team to run through a tunnel consisting of NSW FOGS!!! And rightly so- why should they! J.T. was the only qlder who did run through the tunnel of NSW FOGs and that was so he could high-five the kids!

Total respect to J.T.

Why should they???... The kids were there to represent grass roots level rugby league. Somewhere where every NRL player has been and started. They were there to show their respect to players they consider their heros. The only thing they care about is getting close to their heros. What message does that send to the kids when they couldn't be bothered.

In years to come the only thing they will remember is high fiving Jonathon Thurston before the State of Origin hopefully, and not the fact that QLD snubbed them.

I will never forget the day my hero (Kurt Sorenson) refused to sign an autograph for me when I was about 10 years old. I still haven't gotten that autograph and to be honest I don't want it.

titansrawesome
08-07-10, 05:55 PM
Total respect to J.T.

Why should they???... The kids were there to represent grass roots level rugby league. Somewhere where every NRL player has been and started. They were there to show their respect to players they consider their heros. The only thing they care about is getting close to their heros. What message does that send to the kids when they couldn't be bothered.

In years to come the only thing they will remember is high fiving Jonathon Thurston before the State of Origin hopefully, and not the fact that QLD snubbed them.

I will never forget the day my hero (Kurt Sorenson) refused to sign an autograph for me when I was about 10 years old. I still haven't gotten that autograph and to be honest I don't want it.

no offense dude but why would you take all of this hatred to the grave, if you were a celebrity you probably wouldn't sign every1s autograph

DIEHARD
08-07-10, 06:23 PM
I didn't notice this. But it is disappointing if it happened. The
kids should always be looked after. Especially ones chosen for an event like this. Often players are too switched on about the game to think. But the Queenslanders certainly didn't do it on purpose.

But what a game!!! Queenslander! Lockyer's field goal was masterful. Billy Slater was amazing. Definitely my favourite player in the NRL. That try that he denied the Blues had Origin all over it.

I was panicing but hopeful that Queensland would live up to their reputations as come back kings! The 8 mins just didn't seem long enough. But the Maroons managed to score twice.

I thought it was BS that they gave Folau a kick. Not for any of the AFL crap. You all know I'm an RL zealot on that issue. Not at all. I was pissed cause I believe it isnt fair to the punter who bet on the game. If we wanna take the sponsorship and revenue and open up our game as a betting vehicle, we gotta ensure the integrity of the game. Teams should always do their best to deploy their best kicker.

Anyway. I'm so proud of the Maroons. I never ever counted NSW out. And I never will. Greg Bird is a keeper for the Blues. He was head and shoulders above his peers. Kurt Gidley did himself proud with an impressive performance.

Three Nil

Five Series In A Row. I never thought I'd live to see it. Now I have, let's add to it!!!

titansrawesome
08-07-10, 06:52 PM
finally nsw pick the RIGHT team(bar beau scott) but it is too late because the series was already over, good neews for us that bird was outstanding and harrison was solid

Titan2007
08-07-10, 07:44 PM
Dee13, perhaps the reason why they didnt run through the tunnel of kids etc was because, being Queenslanders, they felt that the NSW players should do that honour. Besides, they would be true blues babies. At ORIGIN time, who would shake or high five an oppositions hand, I certainly wouldn't! and those kids probably wouldn't either.

Coaster
08-07-10, 07:46 PM
Bird was outstanding, hope he brings that form to us.

Good guys won again heheh

Coaster
08-07-10, 07:55 PM
There lucky I wasn't running through the tunnel, I would have slapped the little c#****roaches and made them cry

Mushi
08-07-10, 08:59 PM
Finally - an origin game worth watching! I am a blues girl through and through but even the loss last night didn't worry me - i'm focused on next year already :) but I was just excited to see a decent game! QLD of course were on fire but I was so glad to see NSW lift their game and show some prospect for the future. The tides WILL turn eventually. NSW have a long ladder to climb to get to QLD's status but I figure we can only go forward from here on - QLD however, have a very long way to fall!!!!! Greg Bird - one of the blues best on the field - shows why he should have been in the team all along and Ash as always wonderful for the maroons - sort of hides behind all the "legends" and such a quiet achiever. As for Folau - pffft, showed last night why AFL have a lot of work ahead of them. Hardly noticed him on the field and missed the kick - why they let him do it???? Who knows??? don't care really - bye bye buddy - one less QLDer/bronco to worry about :P

titansrawesome
08-07-10, 09:59 PM
There lucky I wasn't running through the tunnel, I would have slapped the little c#****roaches and made them cry

lol nice nice

DIEHARD
08-07-10, 10:02 PM
Haha Coaster. You are gold.

Coaster 4 QRL Chairman. No doubt!

dee13
09-07-10, 05:39 PM
Maybe QLD should employ Preston Campbell as a player/fan ettiquette officer, NSW don't want him and QLD could really learn alot about how to treat the younger generation of fans.

DIEHARD
09-07-10, 05:46 PM
I think it is unfair to attack the Queenslanders for one isolated incident. They do so much community work between them and should be recognised for it.

I remember last year the NSW Blues disappointed a heap of Victorian school kids....bushfire victims actually.

Focused Blues keep the kids waiting

It was supposed to be the day rugby league reached out to touch the lives of 320 children who were victims of the Victorian bushfires.

Instead it was a cold slap in the face as the NSW State of Origin team kept training at Werribee when they were supposed to be at Visy Park in Melbourne conducting a coaching clinic with kids who travelled for more than two hours to meet the stars.

The Blues arrived more than 90 minutes late for the engagement, which left some kids who had travelled from Kinglake, one of the worst affected areas by February's bush fires, just 40 minutes instead of two hours to mingle with the players.

The Queensland team travelled more than two hours from Nagambie to make the event on time, shifting their arrival back half an hour to accommodate the tardiness of NSW.

Melbourne Storm officials organised the coaching clinic well in advance and were privately seething the Blues had treated the event with such contempt to continue training.

Maroons halfback Johnathan Thurston said it was "definitely" poor form by the NSW players to neglect the grassroots of the game, particularly after what the children had been through.

"If they are staying here in Melbourne why are they two hours late," said Thurston.

"This is grassroots. I think they could have been here on time."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron was far from impressed, particularly as the club's own coach Craig Bellamy was responsible for keeping the Blues on the training field instead of at a promotion for rugby league in Victoria.

"It would have been nice to have them here on time," said Waldron.

"It's not ideal that they were not here on time but these things happen some times.

"You can make a big deal of it but it's not going to change what's happened.

"We just make sure it does not happen in the future."

NSW veteran Craig Wing apologised on behalf of the team and said they were disappointed in themselves for the delay and had underestimated how long it would take them to drive from training to the city - a trip estimated to take only 40 minutes.

"We are very sorry about that and a little bit disappointed in ourselves," said Wing.

"We were training pretty hard and we just took a bit longer in training than we expected and had to high-tail it out here.

"I think we're staying a fair way away as well and we kind of misjudged how long the bus ride would take.

"All the boys have made an effort to stick around a bit longer, sign a few autographs and put as many smiles on faces as possible."

NSW rugby league general manager Geoff Carr said he wasn't happy the Blues neglected the children and had spoken to team management about the situation.

"I'm not particularly happy about it," said Carr.

"As far as we are concerned it's the last thing we wanted, to keep these kids, particularly after what they've been through, to keep them waiting.

"There's always a difficult balancing act in all this between preparing the team for the biggest game of the year and fulfilling a myriad of commitments that we are obligated to do.

"We had some changes to the team which were beyond our control of the team and obviously this morning's training session was deemed to be pretty important and went a bit over time.

"Being stationed at Werribee added to the logistical problems."

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au/

shamus
09-07-10, 07:05 PM
Why would you even mention that Brad?......

TITAN PETE
09-07-10, 09:54 PM
Agree mate ...... ?

Blazertaser
09-07-10, 11:04 PM

To show dee13 that yes, QLD was in the wrong, but NSW is not a better team in that aspect in the slightest.

Blazer:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
10-07-10, 03:14 AM
I think the reason is obvious.

To show that both states are guilty of it in the past.

Maybe Pete and Shamus are confused cause Im not talking about Game 3 and about the past. I'm just trying to give some balance to the allegations thrown at the Maroons.

dee13
10-07-10, 09:34 AM
Yes I have attacked QLD but I think that the issue I have raised is more to do with the attitude of individuals not the teams. The NRL have to weed out these individuals and give them some sort of reality check.

Anthony Watmough refused to give me some autographs on my cards a few weeks ago. He was doing nothing at the time a bluntly told me NO. What did he gain by doing this. Disrespect from everyone around that saw it happen. There is no excuse for a player of high calibre to do that to an NRL fan.

NSW, before the 2nd game had an open training session at Kingscliffe. The fans were told there was an autograph session after training and most players were great. But there were some players that slipped out the back door and straight onto the bus. Thats not acceptable.

Darius Boyd constantly pretends to be on the phone when he sees fans wanting to get an autograph so he doesn't have to sign autographs.

Hasem El Masri is an arrogant piece of work. I've seen him several time refusing fans.

I can go on if you want me too.