13. Matt Hilder

Interchange:
14. Wes Naiqama
15. Con Mika
16. Richie Fa’aoso
17. Mark Taufua
18. Joel Edwards

EVENT INFO

After a great team perfromance against Manly with a much needed win at their last home game John Cartwright and his men will be pushing to reinstate their home ground dominance against an up and down Newcastle side.

Be a part of the club's history and join the growing passionate crowd and help your team get across the line. The NRL ladder has never been so tight and the players know it. Do your bit and cheer the boys to victory!

12:30pm NYC Under 20's kick off

3:00pm Main Game kick off

Remember to get to the ground early as we expect the crowd numbers to be huge for this one. Newcastle fans are extremely vocal so don't forget to get your Titans gear on and warm up that voice!

Public transport is a must and prepare to arrive early!

Our Under 20's are on fire after two solid wins against 2 of the top 4 sides. Cheer the boys on and watch as they climb the Toyota Cup Ladder.

Click here to purchase tickets through Ticketek (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANIND10&searchId=cc13044a-de2a-46ea-9eba-05142bb1606f)

DIEHARD
19-06-10, 07:23 PM
Let's hope the dust settles on our injuries and we can get some good news in the next few days,

We certainly need Preston back and really missed him. At least with him we can have a Preston/Bird halves combo.

Zillman was great for us at #1. Ashley Harrison is also likely to return.

The game is on a Sunday arvo, so make sure you come out and enjoy the footy.

karnage
20-06-10, 12:24 AM
This will be the first home game in the history of the club that I have ever missed seeing live... It is not going to feel right sitting in Sydney and watching a game from Skilled Park on TV.

DIEHARD
20-06-10, 12:26 AM
This will be the first home game in the history of the club that I have ever missed seeing live... It is not going to feel right sitting in Sydney and watching a game from Skilled Park on TV.

:nope: That is a shame karnage. I guess it'll happen to us all one day.

Hopefully we get the win and you won't feel as bad.

After so many night games, I am looking forward to Sunday arvo footy.

matti
20-06-10, 01:46 AM
who else can play 7, if presto is out, kayne lawton? jordan rankin?

Mushi
20-06-10, 07:46 AM
I love sunday arvo footy. Can't wait - should be a good game. Hoping for some good news re: injuries this week - Preston, Ash, would be a good start! Anyone know the result of Bailey's injury? Last I heard they still weren't sure what it was ie tear, sprain etc and were still unclear how long he was out for? Hoping Prince's injury isn't as bad as thought too and he will be back before we know it! One can only hope though!

Sydney Titans Fanatic
20-06-10, 10:49 AM
who else can play 7, if presto is out, kayne lawton? jordan rankin?

Bird would prob move to half back at rogers five eigth someone else is the centres

matti
20-06-10, 11:41 AM
i dont know if those guys can set up plays thats the thing. Need someone quick and deadly

Boofhead
20-06-10, 12:04 PM
Bird really isn't a first reciever... however... Zillman as far as I know played most of his early football in the halves?

titansrawesome
20-06-10, 12:20 PM
Bird really isn't a first reciever... however... Zillman as far as I know played most of his early football in the halves?

kayne lawton seems pretty good IMO

matti
20-06-10, 12:36 PM
Its Newwwy at home i say give the kid a go , with home support the kid is going to be on fire. If only Gordon and mead could play halfs , ****!

eelectrica
20-06-10, 03:56 PM
Love Sunday afternoon footy. Hope it's a warm one. Getting sick of these cold nights. lol

DIEHARD
20-06-10, 05:36 PM
Love Sunday afternoon footy. Hope it's a warm one. Getting sick of these cold nights. lol

Yea it was bloody cold at the Titans vs Manly game. All I had on was a jesey, shorts and sandals. Doesn't really bother me until after the full time siren.

jimbeam06
21-06-10, 10:17 AM
Bring back toopi

titansrawesome
21-06-10, 02:42 PM
we need to cover vuna,sau and uate for our sake otherwise we are boned.

patskE
21-06-10, 04:16 PM
vuna isnt in the team is he since mcmannas is back i fink?

titansrawesome
21-06-10, 04:41 PM
no sorry vuna is out, but macdougall is back and mcmanus now has a few games under his belt but im not worried about those 2, im worried about sau,uate and paterson is an unidentified threat to us.

patskE
21-06-10, 07:08 PM
well taga would be on sau so that be a good battle. i can see gordon getting on the outside of mcmanus alot ahah

karnage
21-06-10, 08:05 PM
Great result for the Titans tonight with the Eels getting rolled by the Knights. We put a bit more of a gap in a contender in the shape of the Eels and now the Knights will have lost that desperate edge coming into Sunday.

They won but they were rubbish - if they turn up like that we will SMASH them!!

Supergoose
21-06-10, 09:01 PM
We have a few key blokes with injuries. We mustn't go lightly on the knights as they have won a few matches against us when we really shouldn't have let th get close. I think
we are getting primed to put a cricket score up against someone. This could be the game.

DIEHARD
22-06-10, 12:28 AM
Round 16 Titans vs Knights Sunday 27 June

Box Offices Open: 12.10 pm
Gates Open: 12.40 pm
Under 20's Kick Off: 12.45pm
Kick Off: 3pm

titansrawesome
22-06-10, 11:11 AM
they'll need more than 6 points to beat us lol, this is our chance for a hiding against them so we cant blow it, then our points difference will be in the green again.

teke
22-06-10, 01:17 PM
I had a silly thought last night watching the Newcastle v Eels game. I thought to myself that these 2 teams in this extremely ordinary game will probably come out next week and win :doh:

Surfers6
22-06-10, 01:19 PM
Hoping Carty goes with a bit of youth.
I will have my tuesday team prediction.

1 Zillman
2 Gordon
3 Rogers
4 Tagas
5 Mead
6 Bird
7 Presto
8 Meyers
9 Friend
10 Henderson
11 Laffrachi
12 Mini
13 Harrison

14 Thompson
15 James
16 Cannings/ White
17 Lawton

titansrawesome
22-06-10, 01:53 PM
I had a silly thought last night watching the Newcastle v Eels game. I thought to myself that these 2 teams in this extremely ordinary game will probably come out next week and win :doh:

wouldnt be the 1st time thats happened, i remember i think 2007 when broncos beat knights 71-6 and then knights won next week and broncos lost.

titansrawesome
22-06-10, 01:53 PM

wouldnt be the 1st time thats happened, i remember i think 2007 when broncos beat knights 71-6 and then knights won next week and broncos lost.

Surfers6
22-06-10, 02:06 PM
Hoping Carty goes with a bit of youth.
I will have my tuesday team prediction.

1 Zillman
2 Gordon
3 Rogers
4 Tagas
5 Mead
6 Bird
7 Presto
8 Meyers
9 Friend
10 Henderson
11 Laffrachi
12 Mini
13 Harrison

14 Thompson
15 James
16 Cannings/ White
17 Lawton

I thought Bailey was still out, my bad. Cannings Out, Bailey In.

timor 2
22-06-10, 02:35 PM
The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are hoping to be boosted by the return of experienced trio Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison for Sunday's Round 16 clash against Newcastle at Skilled Park.

The trio were absent from the side's 25-24 win over the Bulldogs last Friday night but it is hoped they will be fit to return from injury for this weekend's Women in League Round after being named today by Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright in an extended 18-man squad.

Campbell has been named to wear the Titans' No.7 jersey in the absence of injured captain Scott Prince (hamstring), while Harrison and Bailey have been included in the starting forward pack.

Campbell (bruised heal) and Bailey (ankle) have been unable to train with the main squad so far this week but Cartwright said the pair would be given until later in the week to prove their fitness.

"Again we've just got a bit of time on our hands,'' said Cartwright.

"They'll train on Thursday and if we can get them through the session on Thursday we'll have a better idea then.''

Prince may only miss this weekend's match and be back for the Titans' Round 18 clash against the Wests Tigers, with scans today confirming he had suffered a small tear to his right hamstring.

With utility Luke O'Dwyer (hamstring) also missing from the side which defeated the Bulldogs, ball player Kayne Lawton has been added to an extended five-man interchange bench alongside young forwards Bodene Thompson and Ryan James.

The third-placed Titans registered a hard-faught 38-36 win against Newcastle (14th position) the last time the two teams met in Newcastle earlier this season and have won two of the three matches between the clubs on the Gold Coast.

Titans v Knights
3pm - Sunday, June 27
Skilled Park

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Mat Rogers
4 Sam Tagataese
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Preston Campbell
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Kayne Lawton
18 Ryan James

titansrawesome
22-06-10, 02:43 PM
he should have taken out brad meyers so cannings could stay there, cant believe he was the one who saved our bacon on friday.

TITAN PETE
22-06-10, 02:49 PM
he should have taken out brad meyers so cannings could stay there, cant believe he was the one who saved our bacon on friday.

He was still there from the Kickoff :laugh:

matti
22-06-10, 04:35 PM
Bring kayne into game early and bird somewere floating around making breaks and tackling

patskE
22-06-10, 06:56 PM
cannings > white tbh
love cannings hehe
good to see how kayne goes but!

titansrawesome
22-06-10, 08:05 PM
cannings > white tbh
love cannings hehe
good to see how kayne goes but!

cannings is the man, kayne is a quick one isn't he?

Supergoose
22-06-10, 08:08 PM
White has been outstanding of late. There's no way cannings should be in front of him. It was good to see cannings back but he is still a way off being a fixture. We must go with lawnton on the bench in case of injury in the backline.

DIEHARD
22-06-10, 09:03 PM
KNIGHTS NAME UNCHANGED TEAM
newcastleknights.com

The Newcastle Knights have announced an unchanged line up for this Sunday?s clash with the Titans on the Gold Coast.

Assistant Coach Craig Sander**** spoke with Knights TV about the importance of their second win at EnergyAustralia Stadium in 2010.

?Before the game the players got into a bit of a huddle and said all these people, thousands of people, turned up in the pouring rain to watch us play and we need to present a good, solid show ? and they did that,? said Sander****.

The fifth placed Titans have a strong record at home, with five wins from the seven games at Skilled Park this year.

?Our boys are still a little bit disappointed with themselves that we let them slip here earlier in the season so I am expecting a real big show from us.?

NRL: Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans
3.00pm Sunday 27 June 2010
Skilled Park
1. Kurt Gidley
2. Akuila Uate
3. Junior Sa?u
4. Adam MacDougall
5. James McManus
6. Ben Rogers
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Ben Cross
9. Isaac De Gois
10. Dan Tolar
11. Zeb Taia
12. Cory Paterson
13. Matt Hilder
Interchange:
14. Wes Naiqama
15. Con Mika
16. Richie Fa?aoso
17. Mark Taufua
18. Joel Edwards

NYC: Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans
12.45pm Sunday 27 June 2010
Skilled Park
1. Peter Mata?utia
2. Nick Dwan
3. Harmony Hunt
4. Will Smith
5. Mitch Williams
6. Adrian Davis
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Jake Finn
9. Chad Redman
10. Josh Ailaomai
11. Zane Tetevano
12. Matt Herman
13. Ethan Cook (c)
Interchange:
14. Dane Cordner
15. Carl Means
16. Cruise Wilson
17. Neenan Simpson

NSW Cup: Central Coast Centurions v Newtown Jets
3.00pm Saturday 26 June 2010
Henson Park
1. Aaron Fairweather
2. Kevin Naiqama
3. Keith Lulia
4. Simon Williams
5. Jimmy Fawcett
6. Api Pewhairangi
7. Scott Dureau
8. Lucas Miller
9. George Ndaira
10. Corey Vlaciky
11. Cameron Ciraldo
12. Marvin Filipo
13. Ben Wyborn
Interchange:
14. Chris Adams
15. Alex McMillan
16. Mitch McMahon
17. Brendon Simpson
18. Teason Fa?avae-Eli
19. Kirran Shearer

Source: http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/

titansrawesome
22-06-10, 09:40 PM
have you seen wes naquimas cousin run holy ****e he is fast, he has run down gordan a lot of times when they versed in 08 and 09

teke
22-06-10, 11:31 PM
have you seen wes naquimas cousin run holy ****e he is fast, he has run down gordan a lot of times when they versed in 08 and 09Yeah he is fast real fast but Shannon smoked him over 40 which was great to see.

teke
22-06-10, 11:34 PM
He was still there from the Kickoff :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

DIEHARD
22-06-10, 11:38 PM
Haha good call Pete!

DIEHARD
23-06-10, 02:01 AM
Knights on the warpath

GAME breaker William Zillman expects the Knights to attempt an ambush on the Gold Coast Titans as they work to keep the wheels of their season spinning on Sunday.

Languishing two wins outside the top eight, the Knights will arrive on the Coast with the wind in their sails, despite having the odds stacked against them after a tough 6-4 triumph over the Eels on Monday night.

Only three sides have managed to back up a Monday night win with victory the next weekend this season.

But the Titans are one of those sides and Zillman said given the desperation of the teams looking to crack the top eight, the stakes would be high.

"They had a tough win and they certainly slogged it out, which is important coming into the back end of the year," said Zillman at training yesterday.

Zillman, who will start again at fullback, is determined to help his teammates repel the Knights' threat after recently spending two weeks in the Queensland Cup with Titans feeder club the Ipswich Jets.

Recalled last Friday as a late replacement for Preston Campbell, the 23-year-old starred with a clinical 80-minute effort that included a trademark effort from the flyer, who broke the Bulldogs line before dashing 60 metres, turning Luke Patten inside out before touching down in the corner.

For Titans coach John Cartwright, while he will be well aware of the injury toll and their lucky 38-36 escape against Newcastle in Round 9, having players like Zillman to bring back into the squad is always a bonus.

"That's what depth is, when you do get injuries it's good to bring guys like Zilly in," he said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 01:48 AM
Titans v Knights
Skilled Park - Sunday 3pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/titansvsknights.jpg

Newcastle aren?t dead yet and with the confidence only a last-minute sideline conversion win can bring, the Knights fly to the Gold Coast looking to knock the home side out of the top four.

Kurt Gidley?s wonderful 79th-minute conversion against the Eels last Monday night breathed life into the Novocastrians? finals dreams, but they are still on life support and need another win against a Scott Prince-less Titans to continue a potential surge.

Down in 12th spot on the NRL ladder, still four points adrift of the top eight but with a bye in hand, the Knights can still make a run for the top eight if they win around seven of their last 10 games. This means they must take advantage of any chance they get ? and the Titans without Prince is one of those said chances.

Of course, this Gold Coast side is far from a one-man team, but they definitely lose a little bit of punch without their skipper at the helm.

The home side sits nicely in fourth following a win over the Bulldogs and could push up to third if they get the result here. A loss could drop them as low as sixth, something they are looking to avoid as the season gets closer to an end.

With Prince out, Preston Campbell returns from injury at halfback. Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison also return to the side, which moves Matthew White and Bodene Thompson back to the bench and sees Mark Minichiello go from lock to the second row.

Luke O?Dwyer and Aaron Cannings are out of the side, with Kayne Lawton added onto a five-man bench.

For the Knights, Dan Tolar will start at prop, pushing Richie Fa?aoso to the bench and Matt Hilder will start at lock, sending Mark Taufua to the pine.

Con Mika has been added onto a five-man bench.

Watch out Titans: It has become apparent to the Newcastle coaching staff that the Titans have conceded five kick-return line-breaks this season, ranking them equal last in the NRL. This has the Newcastle back three excited.

With Australian representative Kurt Gidley at fullback, former New South Wales winger James McManus on one flank and Fijian international Akuila Uate on the other wing, the Knights are looking to attack from the long kick. Uate especially looks a huge weapon? he is on track to be the competition?s leading try-scorer with 14 thus far and he is killing it in the line-breaks department with 19.

Watch out Knights: Anthony Laffranchi is lifting his game back to his representative level, knowing full well a New South Wales jersey could be forthcoming if he rips in against the Knights.

Laffranchi scored a great individual try against the ?Dogs and is in fact the highest try-scorer amongst forwards over the past five seasons.

He is averaging 106 metres a game this year, has eight line-breaks and six tries, plus he has 18 offloads, making him a distinct threat.

Where it will be won: Goal-line defence. Nrl.com?s Stats Insider revealed in his column yesterday just how vital goal-line defence is in this competition ? and the numbers did not read pretty for either of these sides.

The Knights are ranked last in the NRL when it comes to conceding tries from 0-10 metres out from the line, giving up on average 2.21 tries each week. The Titans don?t fare much better with an average two tries conceded each week, ranking them equal 13th, or third last.

If either side is to get a result here they must muscle up when defending the line. The players on the edges need to compress in tight and plug the middle but they need to be able to react quickly if the ball is shifted.

Also, the centres and wingers need to make better judgment calls as to when to jam in hard to cut off the ball. If they continue to defend poorly in this area it won?t matter much who wins, as this will be a killer in the future.

The history: Played 6; Titans 3, Knights 3. The teams share the head-to-head record at the moment thanks to a 38-36 win by the Titans earlier this season in Newcastle.

The sides have met just twice at Skilled Park, with the ledger squared at one apiece ? although the Titans did win the other clash on the holiday strip at Gold Coast Stadium in Carrara back in 2007.

Conclusion: Even without Prince the Titans look the stronger side, provided Bailey and Campbell actually make it onto the field. Indications are they will at this stage, so stick with the home side if this is the case.

If they are pullouts, consider the desperate Knights. Gidley will have to be the spark, as waiting for Jarrod Mullen to fire this year has been like waiting for Harold Holt to re-emerge from the Cheviot Beach surf.

Match officials: Referees ? Steve Lyons & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Paul Holland & Gavin Reynolds; Video Ref ? Tim Mander.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Delayed 4pm; Fox Sports ? Delayed 6pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 01:50 AM
CROSS IS READY FOR PAYBACK

Newcastle Knights Prop Ben Cross believes that this Sunday is payback time for the Gold Coast Titans.

The fifth placed Titans beat the Knights in round nine at EnergyAustralia Stadium with a close 38-36 full-time score.

Cross told media following training at Balance Mayfield this morning that he believed it was time for the team to make it up to their fans.

“We need to get one back on them,” Cross said.

“If we can start picking up those games that we lost at home against the Titans and Melbourne and those tight ones, then it will go a long way to getting our season back on track.

“We can get back to the 50/50, win/loss ratio.”

The Batemans Bay junior believes that the Knights are returning to form following a thrilling last minute win against the Parramatta Eels on Monday night.

"We're not far off getting back to where we need to be.

"Our defence definitely improved and our attack is getting there.

“We just need to put the defence and the attack together.”

The Knights will travel to the Gold Coast on Saturday, ahead of Sunday afternoon’s game at Skilled Park.

This weekend is the NRL’s One Community Women in League round, where teams are paying tribute to the women and girls within the sport.

Knights trainers will wear pink shorts to show their support, with Ben Cross donning his pink Cross runs for your life boots which he is wearing to help raise funds for the Hunter Breast Cancer Foundation.

Click here to find out more about Cross runs for your life (http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=24053)

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 01:57 AM
Kayne train ready to rumble

ROOKIE Kayne Lawton has declared he is ready to fill the void left by injured skipper Scott Prince, if called on to pilot the Gold Coast backline against the Newcastle Knights on Sunday at Skilled Park.

Veteran Titans playmaker Preston Campbell will have a fitness test on his injured heel at training today and if ruled out, 21-year-old Lawton will be thrust into halfback.

Far from being overawed, the former Palm Beach-Currumbin schoolboy yesterday said he would relish the opportunity.

"I believe I could do it," said Lawton, the Titans under-20s player of the year in 2009.

"I feel ready and I feel confident.

"I have been training with the boys for the past few years, so if I got the opportunity I would take it with two hands and do my best."

Re-signed last year through to the end of 2011 as their heir to Nathan Friend's headgear, Lawton has been re-birthed in the halves this season.

The powerful youngster has been a standout in his first year of open-age footy, learning his craft under the tutelage of respected former Titans-contracted playmaker Brad Davis with Tweed Heads in the Queensland Cup.

After overcoming a back injury, which kept him sidelined for nearly three months at the start of the season, Lawton has scored seven tries in seven games for the Seagulls.

"The transition to halfback didn't bother me because I played there at school," said Lawton.

"At first when I was returning from my back injury I think it was so I could avoid some of the contact in the middle and ease my way back into footy.

"But I have been enjoying it in the halves and they were happy with the way I was playing so I have stayed there."

Pound for pound the strongest player at the club, there is no doubt Lawton is physically ready for first grade.

He made his NRL debut against the Brisbane Broncos in Round 20 last season, seeing about 20 minutes of field time at hooker, but is yet to get another taste.

Even if Campbell does prove fit, Lawton is likely to earn a start on the bench against the Knights.

Prince will miss at least the next fortnight with a torn hamstring.

"I feel a lot more confident than last year," said Lawton. "I have got another year under my belt and I feel more mentally ready.

"Playing in the Queensland Cup has been good, the boys are a bit older and it has been quite physical, like that country-style tough footy."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 02:06 AM
Gidley may be forced to hook in

KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone is considering using Kurt Gidley as a stop-gap hooker against Gold Coast at Skilled Park on Sunday but doubts he will reprise the revolutionary hybrid role the skipper was handed two years ago.

Regular rake Isaac De Gois is in extreme doubt after suffering a fractured bone in his hand during Monday's gritty 6-4 win against Parramatta.

In the expected absence of De Gois, Stone said the likely replacement was Lebanese international George Ndaira, who has played eight NRL games for Newcastle over the past two seasons and invariably performed well.

But Stone admitted yesterday that he was also pondering deploying Gidley as a fill-in hooker for at least part of the game.

Gidley is no stranger to the dummy-half duties, which he has handled off the bench for NSW and Australia.

Two years ago he produced one of the performances of his career when he played hooker in attack and fullback in defence in Newcastle's round-18 game against Penrith.

On that occasion, Gidley was man of the match in Newcastle's 30-18 win, but Stone said it was unlikely his most valuable player would be assigned a similar dual job description on Sunday.

"Probably with Wes Naiqama doing such a decent job at fullback in recent games, I would suggest that Wes would play exclusively at fullback and Kurt would rotate into a normal hooker role," Stone said yesterday.

"Or there could be just a time of the game where Kurt plays a little bit of dummy-half while Matty Hilder is still on the field, just to allow him [Hilder] a little bit of breathing space and to have a bit of a rest.

"There's a couple of variations we could go with, and definitely Kurt's got the ability to help us if we don't take another hooker into the game."

Stone said De Gois was still hopeful he would take his place on Sunday but would need to pass a fitness test later this week.

"It's still sore," Stone said.

"He has got a little fracture in the hand. He could possibly have a little bit of a test to see how he's going to go with that. He's our major concern."

Memories of their 38-36 loss to the Titans at EnergyAustralia Stadium in round nine will provide the Knights with motivation this week as they attempt to square the ledger.

Asked yesterday if the Knights felt they owed Gold Coast one, pack leader Ben Cross replied, "Yeah, definitely. We need to get one back on them.

"Unfortunately those games might come back to haunt us at the back end of the season, but if we can start picking up those games we lost at home, say against the Titans and Melbourne . . . if we can pick those games up away, it will go a long way to getting our season back on track."

Knights officials held further negotiations with the agent representing unsettled North Queensland prop Antonio Kaufusi yesterday.

Kaufusi is seeking a release to join Newcastle before the June 30 deadline

"At the moment it's in [North Queensland's] court," Stone said.

"We've put an offer in and we're waiting to hear back from the Cowboys."

Stone said if the Knights were to sign Kaufusi, his chances of an immediate first-grade start would depend on how Newcastle's forwards performed on Sunday.

Another Cowboys prop, Manase Manuokafoa, is also reported to have requested a mid-season release but the Knights say they are not interested.

Parramatta are believed to be favourites to pick up Manuokafoa.

http://www.theherald.com.au/

teke
24-06-10, 11:42 AM
Knights will put in a sub par performance and Titans will skip out to early 18 pt lead and close up shop as they get close to the repelling 40 pt mark :sadpace:

titansrawesome
24-06-10, 12:57 PM
i really think we need a shallacking of thew knights to really show everyone that we are title contenders, not win close ones against crap teams then choke out.

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 08:10 PM
I remember last year at this time we were still licking our lips at the prospect of a 40+ scoreline...and we are still waiting.

I hope this weekend will be our weekend. Hopefully bouyed by a passionate home crowd.

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 09:17 PM
Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights
Sunday, Skilled Park, 3pm

Referees: Steve Lyons and Alan Shortall
Head to head: Titans 3, Knights 3
Last clash: Titans 38-36 at EnergyAustralia Stadium (rd 9, 2010)
TAB SportsBet: Titans $1.50, Knights $2.50
FootyTab: Knights +6.5

The Titans play with plenty of commitment - that's not their problem. But they have a few defensive issues when opposition teams spread the ball wide that they are yet to overcome. The Knights are not the most dynamic attacking side in the competition, but they do have a flyer out wide in winger Akuila Uate, who scores plenty of tries, so if they get into positon they could give the Titans some headaches. But the Knights are really going to have to be on their game to challenge the Titans on the road.

The Titans hit big hurdle recently when they lost three games in a row - to the Broncos, Roosters and Raiders. Fortunately, they had piled up plenty of wins early in the season, so they had something to fall back on, but they couldn't allow their losing run to go on for much longer and they have recovered to win their last two games - against the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs. They overcame significant injury problems against the Bulldogs. The Titans have lost halfback Scott Prince for this match, but are able to slip Preston Campbell in there.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 09:18 PM
Titans duo eyeing return against Knights

Gold Coast Titans veterans Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey have been given until the last minute to prove their fitness for Sunday's NRL clash with Newcastle at Skilled Park.

And the jury is still out on when skipper Scott Prince will return from a hamstring complaint, despite receiving encouraging scan results.

After both Bailey (ankle) and Campbell (heel) failed to train with the team on Thursday, Titans coach John Cartwright said the pair would be given until Saturday to overcome injury.

Advertisement: Story continues belowCartwright was already assessing his options, with youngster Kayne Lawton - who has only played one NRL game - a possible replacement for Campbell in the halves.

"We've got young Kayne there and we'll just decide if we slot him in at the deep end or bring him off the bench," he said on Thursday.

But Bailey was confident he would be running out alongside Campbell against the Knights.

"I think I'll play, I haven't tested it out as yet but I've given it plenty of rest because it's been a long week," Bailey said.

"It's been getting better every day. I had a bit of a run on Monday and it wasn't too flash but Tuesday, Wednesday and today it's starting to feel a bit better.

"It wasn't a serious injury just something that needed a bit of time.

"I'm not getting any younger so it just needed time to heal and it's feeling pretty good."

Bailey said Campbell was "in the same boat".

"The more rest the better, but just having a chat to him I think we're both pretty confident of playing," he said.

Campbell has been named at No.7 for Prince who was expected to only miss the Knights clash before returning in a fortnight's time following their next round bye.

It was encouraging news after initial fears Prince could be sidelined for up to six weeks with the injury suffered during last round's 25-24 win over the Bulldogs.

But Cartwright was uncertain whether Prince would return against the Wests Tigers in round 18.

"He's back running and whether he gets back (in round 18) for the Tigers game or not I'm not sure," Cartwright said.

"William Zillman will be at fullback this week and we'll wait and see if Preston is OK on Saturday."

Lock Ashley Harrison, who suffered a gash under his eye in Queensland's historic Origin II victory, will return for the Titans on Sunday.

"He's nice and refreshed ... we're fortunate we got through last week and didn't have to use him and he's had a good 10 day rest and can't wait to get back out there," Cartwright said.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 09:19 PM
Ladder spot not going to Titans' heads

Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says the club is not getting carried away with its top four position on the NRL ladder.

The Titans beat the Bulldogs 25-24 last weekend and face the Newcastle Knights at Robina on Sunday.

Cartwright said with the club dealing with a number of injuries to key players including captain Scott Prince, forward Luke Bailey and full-back Preston Campbell, Newcastle will be a difficult challenge.

"We're comfortable where we're at, but realising that one or two weeks is a long time in the competition," he said.

"There's surprises and it's not hard to go bang, bang, bang and lose three in a row, which we've done.

"So we're not getting carried away with anything, but you'd rather be where we are where [than where] sides down the bottom are, let's put it that way."

Cartwright said he wants his players to focus on the Knights rather than their week off the following round.

He said a win on Sunday will ease pressure on the club.

"If we can get a win against Newcastle, the focus will be [that] we won't even be talking about the bye at this stage," he said.

"It's more a really important game for us against Newcastle back at home, and it will be our third win in a row and then a bye on the back of that.

"We could take some real positives out of it."

Source: ANC Australia

DIEHARD
24-06-10, 09:54 PM
Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights, Skilled Park, Sunday 3pm (EST)

The Adjudicator says: "Do you remember the 1997 ARL grand final? What a cracking game that was. Robbie O weaved his magic, the Johns boys solidified their great public image and a blonde winger became the first Albert since Einstein to do something significant. If you have it, you may want to get the VHS of that game ready to roll for Sunday night because after the flogging the Titans give your boys, you'll need the comfort of past glories to prevent you from ripping up your Knights memberships and buying Newcastle Jets season tickets."

Agree/disagree with The Adjudicator? Tell him, in 100 words or fewer, why your team will win this match. Email The Adjudicator, including your full name and where you're from.

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS

David from GOld Coast says: Good to see Newcastle win ugly on Monday night. They sure have the troops, but don’t appear to be particularly well drilled. When they click then lookout competition. The Gold Coast just keep ticking over and are extremely hard to beat at skilled. On days I walk away from the stadium shaking my head and wondering how they got out of jail, but the important thing is they know how to win. Maybe that’s a Queensland thing. Newcastle always give the Coast a run for their money and will again this weekend. With Mimi, Lafranchi, Preston and Friend leading the way, I think they will scrape in with this one. The worrying thing for Gold Coast fans is that they don’t ever seem to be able to keep the foot on the juggler when they get on top. Good sides that are finals threats do this well. Titans by 6.

Michael from Marrickville: Mr A, why does everyone rubbish Kurt Gidley? I told you in last week’s update that the Knights would relish having him back where he belongs. Who won the Knights the match in the end, with a brilliant sideline conversion? El Capitan. Terbo of Auckland has been out to pasture with the sheep for too long. With the Princely one hamstrung in the bleachers, King Akuila will torment the Titans all night. The Novacastrians by 8.

Shaun on the Gold Coast says: "I think you need to err on the side of caution on this one. No Prince and with Bailey, Campbell and Harrison either backing up from injury or not playing at all I going to have to go with the head and deny the heart and tip the Knights. I’ll still head down and watch the lads give it a go. Knights by 10."

The redandwhiteman of the Gold Coast says: "Jamie, pluhlease are you for real? Soward is the real deal in 2010 and needs the opportunity to show he can handle the call to Origin. The tigers this season in contrast have only been certainties when playing the bye. Dragons again to show how its done again against a team that Dragon fans have full respect for. Dragons by 2 at half time and by 10 at full time!"

Chris from Brissy says: "The more you put on the more you get back! The knights are MORALS! Confidence is key in rugby league and although the Parramatta win was ugly Newcastle will now kick on and will beat a Scott Prince less Titans!"

Terbo from Auckland says: "After watching Gidley's performance last night & recent weeks in S.O.O it's no wonder the Knights are languishing in the cellar & Queensland Origin history was made.His forays into frontline attack are often mistimed & communication looks to be at a minimum....Titans , even without playmaker Scotty Prince , will eat the Knights by 16 or more."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
25-06-10, 01:28 AM
Steve in Presto's position

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/06/24/presto-ready-to-go.jpg
If Titans veteran Preston Campbell is ruled out, former Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make his Gold Coast debut against Newcastle on Sunday

DISCARDED Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make a shock debut for the Gold Coast Titans, less than four weeks after walking out on Brisbane.

Michaels yesterday trained at left centre for the Gold Coast and will line up against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday if veteran playmaker Preston Campbell fails to overcome a heel injury.

It will be just his second NRL game in nearly a year and a remarkable show of faith in the homegrown talent.

A frustrated Michaels cut ties with the Broncos late last month after falling out of favour with coach Ivan Henjak.

The Mudgeeraba junior has played just three games for Titans feeder club Burleigh in the Queensland Cup since the move.

"Stevie has played a lot of first grade," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"If there is an opportunity through injury on the weekend, we just want him to be a bit more aware of how we play the game."

Both prop Luke Bailey (ankle) and Campbell did not complete scheduled fitness tests yesterday but a final decision will not be made until after the club's final training run tomorrow.

While youngster Ryan James will come into the 17 if Bailey is ruled out, Campbell's absence will force a major reshuffle.

With skipper Scott Prince (hamstring) also sidelined, 21-year-old rookie Kayne Lawton will be thrown in the deep end at halfback.

Greg Bird will return to the forward pack, with Mat Rogers moving to five-eighth and Michaels taking up a position inside winger Kevin Gordon.

Michaels managed just one game for the Broncos after being sensationally axed in August last year following the Broncos' infamous 56-0 slaughter by the Raiders in Canberra.

The 23-year-old was named to represent Queensland Country in Gympie on Saturday but withdrew, believed to be still feeling the effects of a concussion suffered against Tweed Heads at the weekend -- but as was subsequently revealed by yesterday's training run, Michaels was, in fact, pulled from the match to act as cover for the Titans.

Bailey yesterday said he was confident of taking on the Knights.

"I will have a good run on Saturday and see how I pull up," he said. "Presto is in the same boat, the more rest the better."

Cartwright said the Knights were a danger side.

"Newcastle will be desperate," he said. "A loss will put them in a really dangerous situation, running into the last nine games.

"But we are in the same boat. We want to maintain a winning flow into our bye and then keep it going."

shamus
25-06-10, 11:01 AM
Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights, Skilled Park, Sunday 3pm (EST)[B]

[B]Shaun on the Gold Coast says: "I think you need to err on the side of caution on this one. No Prince and with Bailey, Campbell and Harrison either backing up from injury or not playing at all I going to have to go with the head and deny the heart and tip the Knights. I?ll still head down and watch the lads give it a go. Knights by 10." Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Just letting everyone know that this is not me. I would never bet against them (not at home anyways...)

titansrawesome
25-06-10, 11:20 AM
Steve in Presto's position

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/06/24/presto-ready-to-go.jpg
If Titans veteran Preston Campbell is ruled out, former Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make his Gold Coast debut against Newcastle on Sunday

DISCARDED Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make a shock debut for the Gold Coast Titans, less than four weeks after walking out on Brisbane.

Michaels yesterday trained at left centre for the Gold Coast and will line up against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday if veteran playmaker Preston Campbell fails to overcome a heel injury.

It will be just his second NRL game in nearly a year and a remarkable show of faith in the homegrown talent.

A frustrated Michaels cut ties with the Broncos late last month after falling out of favour with coach Ivan Henjak.

The Mudgeeraba junior has played just three games for Titans feeder club Burleigh in the Queensland Cup since the move.

"Stevie has played a lot of first grade," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"If there is an opportunity through injury on the weekend, we just want him to be a bit more aware of how we play the game."

Both prop Luke Bailey (ankle) and Campbell did not complete scheduled fitness tests yesterday but a final decision will not be made until after the club's final training run tomorrow.

While youngster Ryan James will come into the 17 if Bailey is ruled out, Campbell's absence will force a major reshuffle.

With skipper Scott Prince (hamstring) also sidelined, 21-year-old rookie Kayne Lawton will be thrown in the deep end at halfback.

Greg Bird will return to the forward pack, with Mat Rogers moving to five-eighth and Michaels taking up a position inside winger Kevin Gordon.

Michaels managed just one game for the Broncos after being sensationally axed in August last year following the Broncos' infamous 56-0 slaughter by the Raiders in Canberra.

The 23-year-old was named to represent Queensland Country in Gympie on Saturday but withdrew, believed to be still feeling the effects of a concussion suffered against Tweed Heads at the weekend -- but as was subsequently revealed by yesterday's training run, Michaels was, in fact, pulled from the match to act as cover for the Titans.

Bailey yesterday said he was confident of taking on the Knights.

"I will have a good run on Saturday and see how I pull up," he said. "Presto is in the same boat, the more rest the better."

Cartwright said the Knights were a danger side.

"Newcastle will be desperate," he said. "A loss will put them in a really dangerous situation, running into the last nine games.

"But we are in the same boat. We want to maintain a winning flow into our bye and then keep it going."

boooooooooooooooooooooooo, hisss:boo: thats a dumb replacement ii know we have better replacements then him, like toopi and tomane just off the top of my head.

gotitans101
25-06-10, 11:58 AM
Last time I saw Michaels play he still couldn't defend.

Hopefully he's picked up his game since then.

Surfers6
25-06-10, 12:36 PM
boooooooooooooooooooooooo, hisss:boo: thats a dumb replacement ii know we have better replacements then him, like toopi and tomane just off the top of my head.

Agreed, i would think there would be Toopi, Tomane, Tonga & Tagas ahead of him. Interesting to see if he is as useless as i think. i hope not.

titansrawesome
25-06-10, 12:58 PM
Agreed, i would think there would be Toopi, Tomane, Tonga & Tagas ahead of him. Interesting to see if he is as useless as i think. i hope not.

we also have kingi akuola,sione akoula and demonic peyroux and a lot of other talents we could put before him, hell shannon walker i would even give a run.

patskE
25-06-10, 04:48 PM
man, gordon has been playing great footy cause of rogers, casue he knows to give him the ball n stuff
cant see micheals passing to gordon n stuff :( never rated him :S

patskE
25-06-10, 04:49 PM
GOLD Coast Titans-contracted centre Steve Michaels has been ruled out of the Country side for Saturday's Queensland Rugby League City-Country clash in Gympie after suffering a concussion playing for Burleigh at the weekend.

Attempting to resurrect his NRL career on the Gold Coast after splitting from the Brisbane Broncos, Michaels had to be helped from the field against Tweed after an attempted tackle on opposite Kingi Akauola went wrong.

Seagulls' Titans-contracted utility Josh Graham (sternum) has also withdrawn from the Country squad, replaced by Burleigh forward Tanu Wulf.

Tweed Heads has four players in the side, with Shannon Walker on the wing, Ryan Simpkins in the back row, forward Selasi Berdie on the bench and skipper Brad Davis as five-eighth and captain.

Burleigh now has two with Wulf and prop Dayne Weston.

Bears captain Scott Smith, the incumbent Country and Queensland Residents hooker, will miss the match with a broken thumb.

The match will be televised live on ABC at 2pm.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/gold-coast-titans.html

teke
25-06-10, 11:28 PM
Michaels is a good player, he had a lil bit of a run with misreads in defence at the broncos but that was at a time in the Broncos when they were ordinary. Michaels attack far exceeds anything else we could bring into the team and he is quick

TITAN PETE
25-06-10, 11:39 PM
A news crew watches the Titans train without Presto so Rogers goes to 5/8 & an injured Michaels fills the vacant centres spot for a training drill ... wouldn't matter even if he played we'll still belt the Knights

teke
25-06-10, 11:54 PM
A news crew watches the Titans train without Presto so Rogers goes to 5/8 & an injured Michaels fills the vacant centres spot for a training drill ... wouldn't matter even if he played we'll still belt the Knights:fight: :thumbsup:

I wouldnt mind seeing Gidley under the pump from the Legion.

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 12:31 AM
I could sure think of plenty to say to him!

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 12:32 AM
Preview from Newcastle Knights website

ROUND 16 PREVIEW: TITANS v KNIGHTS

VENUE & TIME: Skilled Park, Sunday 27 June, 3pm (AEST)
COVERAGE: Channel Nine/NBN 4pm
HEAD TO HEAD: Played 6; Newcastle 3, Gold Coast 3
LAST TIME: 2010, Gold Coast d Newcastle 38-36

Lets rewind the clock back to earlier this year in Round 9 of the Telstra Premiership when the high flying Gold Coast came to town to heartbreakingly snatch victory from the Newcastle Knights. Newcastle became the team to score the most points and lose in the history of the NRL, racking up a massive 36 points but still losing in the dying minutes.

Well now it’s pay back time for Newcastle! The Knights are aiming to get one back on the Titans at Skilled Park this weekend while their inspirational skipper, Scott Prince, sits helpless on the sidelines.

HOW THEY LINE UP
The Knights have largely kept the same side that won against the Eels on Monday night. Dan Tolar is starting this week moving Richie Fa'aoso back to the bench. While Matt Hilder will start at lock this weekend and Mark Taufua will join Fa’aoso off the bench. Con Mika is the only new name in the side but he has been named on a five man bench with Joel Edwards.

In comparison the Titans team is much more unsettled coming into the match. As mentioned before the Titan’s captain, Scott Prince, is out injured but luckily 2001 Dally M winner Preston Campbell returns from injury to replace Prince at halfback. Luke Bailey will also make his return this week pushing Matthew White back to the bench and Aaron Cannings out of the side.

Ashley Harrison also returns at lock moving Mark Minichiello to the second row and Bodene Thompson back to the bench. 21-year-old Kayne Lawton has been named on the bench to make his 2010 debut.

HISTORY
The two sides are on three wins each heading into this match. The Titans do have a one game advantage over Newcastle at Skilled Park but the Knights will be looking to bounce back from their round 9 defeat earlier this year.

KEY PLAYERS
The Newcastle team is basically the same as last week so as a team the Knights desperately need to improve on their error rate. Last week’s completion rate was terrible, with the Knights committing 19 errors in the game. Ben Rogers will be looking to improve on his three errors (the highest on the field). The Knights need to concentrate on the little things such as ball control and giving away penalties if they want to remain competitive this week.

MY TIP
The Knights need a massive improvement over last week if they are to win two games in a row for the first time this year. The Titans are one of the top sides and would have put the Knights to the sword last week. However this is a new week and the Knights have some much needed momentum and if able to eliminate the errors have areal chance of winning this one.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 12:33 AM
'Bull' confident of taking on Knights
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans prop Luke Bailey is confident of being cleared to make his return from injury for Sunday’s clash against Newcastle at Skilled Park.

Bailey missed last weekend’s clash against the Bulldogs with an ankle injury and has been unable to resume full training with the rest of the Titans squad this week ahead of Sunday’s clash.

However, he said he was more than hopeful of being given the green light to play when he tests his injured ankle out at the side’s final training session at Skilled Park tomorrow morning.

“I’m pretty confident. I’ve laid off it this week and had a good break so Carty has given me until Saturday,’’ said Bailey.

“I’ll have a good run on it on Saturday and see how it pulls up.’’

Dynamo Preston Campbell will also undergo a fitness test on his bruised heal when the side finalises its preparations for the clash against the Knights tomorrow.

If cleared to play, Campbell will wear the Titans’ No.7 jersey in the absence of injured captain Scott Prince (hamstring).

The 4th placed Titans could leap to 3rd spot on the NRL ladder with a win against the Knights ahead of next weekend's Round 17 bye.

The 12th-placed Knights will be desperate for a win to keep in touch with the top-8 heading into the final 10 rounds of the competition.

The match is the designated Women in League round which will see all NRL clubs pay tribute to the many females involved in all levels of the game.

To support the initiative, the Titans are offering special discounted seating for families of 4 for just $40 in the club’s Steel section (Category 3) on Sunday.

Tickets can be purchased through the Ticketek call centre on 132 849 or via the website at http://www.ticketek.com.au

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 01:58 AM
Titans coping without Prince

THE theory that the Titans cannot win without skipper Scott Prince has been harpooned once and for all, with exclusive statistics revealing the Gold Coast adapt to the loss of their main playmaker far better than any other Queensland side.

After missing four games earlier this year with a broken thumb, Prince now faces up to a month on the sideline after tearing his right hamstring against the Bulldogs last week.

The loss of the star halfback for such a significant chunk of the season would have rocked the Titans in their early years.

But it seems those past lessons have led to coach John Cartwright building a side that does not rely as heavily on its backline general as much as other teams in the NRL.

"I know that no one can play like Princey but between Rat (Mat Rogers), Presto (Preston Campbell) and Birdy (Greg Bird), we have got the ultimate solution," said Titans prop Luke Bailey.

"The emphasis is also on the forwards the next couple of weeks to make sure we give Rat, Birdy and Presto the time they need.

"I have never been more confident that we can do the job."

The Titans pushed premiership favourites the Dragons and defeated last year's grand finalists the Storm and Sea Eagles in Prince's absence between Round 4 and Round 7.

Since 2007, the Gold Coast boast a 54 per cent strike rate when Prince is on the park.

While the winning percentage falls to 37.5 per cent when he is missing, it is still well ahead of Queensland rivals the Broncos and Cowboys.

The Broncos win 62.7 per cent of their games when Darren Lockyer is in the No.6, but they fall in a heap when the Australia and Maroons great is sidelined, the percentage plummeting to just 29.2.

The Cowboys have won 43.4 per cent of games since 2007 with Johnathan Thurston at the helm, but manage to win just 30.8 per cent of games without him.

"I don't see myself by any stretch in his (Prince) league in terms of ball playing," said veteran Rogers, who assumed control of the Coast backline last week against the Bulldogs after Prince limped off.

"A lot of our really good play starts from Friendy (Nathan Friend) anyway.

"He is really the one who gets us going forward and makes the breaks and he is a great ball player in his own right.

"Birdy has been doing well on the edges as well.

"I probably add a bit of a kicking game there as well, giving us a left and a right foot option."

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 02:00 AM
Presto healing hopes

TITANS medical staff rate game-breaker Preston Campbell as having a 70 per cent chance of overcoming a nagging heel injury in time to run out against the Newcastle Knights at Skilled Park tomorrow.

While prop Luke Bailey (ankle) will almost certainly take his place, doubts still linger over the fitness of the veteran livewire Campbell.

Pencilled in to line-up in the halves alongside Greg Bird, the Titans will be forced into a major backline reshuffle should the 33-year-old struggle to recover from the club's final training session today.

Titans physiotherapist Scott Thornton yesterday said he was confident Campbell would be fit to play.

"He still has that bruising in his heel but it seems to have settled down," said Thornton.

"So we are going to give him a run and if he gets through training hopefully he will play.

"I would say he would be 70 per cent."

Campbell was close to playing last week against the Bulldogs, taking part in the final session before pulling up sore the day of the game.

Despite having the bye next week, Thornton said there was no temptation to rest Campbell from the Knights clash to ensure the he was right to take on top four rivals Wests Tigers in Round 18.

"We are not really going to take that into consideration," said Thornton.

"It will be more on how he is going to perform this weekend.

"He was close last week but he did run and then he got sore, so that made the decision for us.

"But he is keen to play if he gets through the session okay."

If Campbell is out, rookie Kayne Lawton will be thrown in the deep end at halfback.

Bird will return to the forward pack, with Mat Rogers moving to five-eighth and former Bronco Steve Michaels lining up at left centre inside winger Kevin Gordon.

The last time the two sides met -- in Round 9 in Newcastle -- it resulted in one of the most bizarre games of the season.

The Titans triumphed with a narrow 38-36 victory, which saw the Knights equal the premiership record for the most points scored by a losing team, it was a loss which left the Knights fuming.

Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston accused match officials of incompetence, labelling one no-try ruling as 'the most disgraceful game-turning decision I've seen in a long time'.

Knights prop Ben Cross this week said Newcastle would head to Robina hunting a game of payback.

"We need to get one back on them," said Cross.

Cross said a win would help them get `back on track'.

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 02:01 AM
Last line of defence a risky zone

TITANS prop Luke Bailey says the Gold Coast cannot afford another flimsy defensive effort against Newcastle and must start rectifying their woeful tackling record in the run to the finals.

In a worrying sign, fresh statistics show the Titans have one of the worst goal-line defences in the competition.

The Coast are conceding an average of two tries per match from within 10m of their line, a major reason why they have leaked more points than any other top-eight side so far this season.

The 12th-placed Knights have the worst record, letting in an average of 2.21 tries from inside their red-zone per game, while the 13th-placed Sharks aren't much better with 2.15.

"We are looking to obviously fix up our little areas in our discipline and tidy things up heading into the finals," said Bailey.

"We were pretty flimsy in defence (last time we played the Knights in Round 9). That was one of our worst games of the season.

"There is only nine or 10 weeks to go, so we can't afford to be tossing up things like that."

The statistics from NRL.com show that competition leaders the Dragons boast the best goal-line defence in the competition, averaging just 0.86 tries a game from inside their own 10m. The third-placed Wests Tigers are second (1.08), while the Storm are third (1.29).

The Titans worked hard on their goal-line defence this week.

Although Bailey watched from the sidelines, nursing an ankle injury, the tough frontrower is expected to return after missing last week's win over the Bulldogs.

"We were sitting a bit pretty early on and it wasn't an indication of how we were performing," he said.

"We are around third or fourth now and I think that justifies our performances. We have still got a lot of work to do.

"Last year we were all done by the semis by the time they started, but this year we are still improving and hopefully we will be ready to go pretty soon."

titanstattman
26-06-10, 11:29 AM
:fight: :thumbsup:

I wouldnt mind seeing Gidley under the pump from the Legion.

Oh dont worrie he will be copping it...... I'v allready started thinking of things....

Michaels I think ppl are not gving our coaches enough cred.... I think with our coaches he will be a better player in so many ways......

DIEHARD
26-06-10, 02:33 PM
Luke Bailey and Preston Campbell trained strongly this morning and will provide the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans with a huge boost ahead of tomorrows game against the Knights.

Source: Titans FB

titansrawesome
26-06-10, 03:41 PM
Michaels is a good player, he had a lil bit of a run with misreads in defence at the broncos but that was at a time in the Broncos when they were ordinary. Michaels attack far exceeds anything else we could bring into the team and he is quick

toopi and akoula IMO are better, is tonga any closer to a return?

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 01:49 AM
Campbell boost for Titans

Anxious Titans coaching staff have had their injury fears quelled with news Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey will line-up against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday afternoon.

The veteran duo powered through Saturday's final training session to prove their fitness after they both failed to make an appearance on the track during the week

Campbell - who has been nursing a bruised right-heel, was proving to be the biggest worry with the 33-year-old set to fill the void left by injured skipper Scott Prince (hamstring) at half-back.

"I pulled up good and I think I'll be right to play," Campbell reassured Saturday morning.

"I make sure that I'm at least 100 percent right going into a game but I'm feeling pretty confident of playing the full 80 minutes on Sunday." he said.

Overcoming a troublesome ankle strain, Bailey's presence upfront along with the return of Queensland Origin rep Ashley Harrison will also add some bite back into the Titans defence which rates the worst among the top-eight for points conceded this season.

Relieved to have a first-choice line-up at his disposal Titans boss John Cartwright said a strong showing against Rick Stone's men was crucial in keeping up with frontrunners St. George and Penrith ? both of whom registered wins on Friday night.

"It's a big game for us there is a little bit of a break at the top of the table and we can be a part of that or we can be back in the mix," Cartwright said.

"We're getting into that stage of the year now where you have to start looking at those things so a win going into a bye would leave us in a good position."

"I think every side is desperate at the moment because nobody's not a chance of making the eight."

"Three wins in a row can either move you from the middle of the table to top-four or bottom of the table to top-eight."

Currently sitting fourth on 20 points a win for Gold Coast would see it leapfrog the Tigers into third and begin the break-away from fifth placed Manly (18 points), who finds itself separated by just two points from the 10th placed Warriors.

But if recent meetings are anything to go-by Sunday's encounter could produce another thriller after the Round 9 hit-out between the Knights and Titans saw the visitors register a 38-36 win at Energy Australia Stadium.

Preferring to avoid the heart-stoppers though Cartwright says he's looking for his charges to take control of Newcastle early on and pull down the shutters in defence.

"I like our fight when things get tough it's nice to know you can do that but the key is not getting into those situations," he said.

"It's getting sides to the sword and going on with the game and that hasn't been something we've been able to do this year."

"But on the reverse, when we have put ourselves in a precarious situation we've been able to find ways to get out."

Source: http://sportal.com.au

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 01:49 AM
Campbell and Bailey set to play Knights

Titans duo Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey have come through 11th hour fitness tests and are expected to line up in their NRL clash against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday.

The two very experienced campaigners will give Gold Coast fans a lift after they failed to train all week.

"They got through that session OK at this stage, they should be right," said coach John Cartwright.

Advertisement: Story continues below"We'll be a bit cautious until we get to the game and until we get them onto the field

"We'll check to see how they are in the morning and if they've got no ill effects, they'll both play.

Metre-maker Bailey (ankle) and match-winner Campbell (bruised heel) complete the full session at Skilled Park.

With playmaker and skipper Scott Prince sidelined with a small hamstring tear, Campbell will slot into the key No.7 jumper where he's performed brilliantly in the past.

Bailey will add some muscle up front against the Knights, who successfully turned last weekend's clash with Parramatta into a grind before snatching a late win.

The stakes are higher for 12th-placed Newcastle, who kept their top eight hopes alive with their last-gasp 6-4 win over the Eels, thanks to a magnificent 79th minute Kurt Gidley sideline conversion.

The Titans though have plenty of incentive with a victory possibly moving them into third place behind the Dragons and Penrith, both impressive winners on Friday night.

The seemingly ageless Campbell is just the man to take over from Prince and he will prove a constant threat to Newcastle's defence, which within 10 metres of it's try line, is the worst in the NRL.

Clashes between the two clubs stand at 3-3 and 1-1 at Skilled Park where the Titans are so hard to toss.

The last time they clashed the Titans scraped home 38-36 in a high scoring game in Newcastle.

Newcastle have basically stuck with the side which toughed it out against Eels.

Dan Tolar will start at prop forcing Richie Faaoso to the bench while Matt Hilder will shift to lock pushing Mark Taufua to the pine.

http://news.smh.com.au/

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 01:56 AM
The final battle of two survivors

IT is a battle which has waged since the two crossed paths as rookie wingers way back in 1995.

But tomorrow, at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, "Rat" and "Mad Dog" - aka Mat Rogers and Adam Macdougall - will go head-to-head for what is likely to be the final time.

Astonishingly, the clash will be dual-international Rogers' 188th NRL appearance - 10 more than his long-time rival has managed, despite Rogers having spent five years with the Waratahs and Wallabies playing rugby.

When told of the bizarre statistic, Rogers, 34, was only partly surprised and responded cautiously, careful not to give Macdougall, 35, any added motivation before what is a vital match for both teams.

"Really?" Rogers said. "I guess he has had a few setbacks over his career. We have been going at it for a fair while now.

"It's always good fun. You know you are in for a battle against Mad Dog. He is a class athlete.

"I suppose one thing that tells you is that he doesn't play unless he is 100 per cent. So when you get out on that field and you see you are marking him, you know you are in for a bit of a battle.

"We are both at that stage where the young blokes around see us as the wily, old veterans. It doesn't seem that long ago that we were the young blokes.

"But it will be fun. I am looking forward to it."

Two weeks back from a knee injury some feared would prematurely end what will almost certainly be Rogers' last year in the NRL, the classy backline utility said he is starting to "find his feet" before the race to the finals, which will begin in earnest once the State of Origin series is completed.

There he will have his final chance to add an elusive premiership ring to the Wallabies and Kangaroos caps and State of Origin appearances.

As strange as it seems, 2010 looms as perhaps his best chance at a title, given the wide open nature of this year's competition following Melbourne's disqualification and the fact the Titans squad appears primed to seriously challenge the likes of heavyweights Manly and St George Illawarra.

"Over the past few years, you have tended to have a couple of teams everyone else was chasing but with Melbourne not in the running, it looks very open," Rogers said.

"The Dragons have been the most consistent side. Wayne Bennett is a great coach he knows what it takes to be successful."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 07:51 AM
http://weather.news.com.au/images/icons/fcast_s/showers.gifSunday: Isolated showers and light rain areas, clearing overnight. Light to moderate W to NW winds becoming SW during the day.

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 07:52 AM
Welcome to game day! Just 6 hours until kick off and soon to head off to Skilled Park.

Looks like we might get some rain. Might wanna bring a pouncho to be safe.

I just hope for a dry track!

http://weather.news.com.au/images/icons/fcast_s/showers.gifSunday: Isolated showers and light rain areas, clearing overnight. Light to moderate W to NW winds becoming SW during the day.

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 09:46 AM
OK Im heading off, see you all soon!

I'll be handing out 4 Game Membership flyers before the game. Come and say G'day. Take some. ;)

UP THE TITANS!

teke
27-06-10, 12:14 PM
toopi and akoula IMO are better, is tonga any closer to a return?
Yeah Esi will be playing soon enough, he has dropped alot of weight and extremely eager to get back into the mix.

jimbeam06
27-06-10, 03:06 PM
If we lose this game today we are going to find it hard for the rest of the year i think .

matti
27-06-10, 03:54 PM
gezz giving the ball away today, friends having a shocker, yay we lost.........

TITAN PETE
27-06-10, 03:59 PM
Bad 2nd half options from Bird & losing Mead & Tag for half the match were to hard to overcome when u add the worst refereeing decisions we ever had

TITAN PETE
27-06-10, 04:02 PM
If we lose this game today we are going to find it hard for the rest of the year i think .

Yeah were gone can't possibly be a contender now when we're so far down the pack :ugh:

titansrawesome
27-06-10, 04:04 PM
i'm sick of inconsistent titans performances, you dont know if they are gonna go good or bad.

matti
27-06-10, 04:11 PM
sucky day when it should be a great day for my, not sure but my partner is having contractions

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 04:24 PM
Devastated to lose at home. On way back home now defeat is bitter.

Such a frustrating game. We looked good at times in the first half but couldn't overcome injuires to Mead and Taga. Refs were deadset awful. Gordon and Bull did well in my eyes.

Really need the BYE to lick our wounds. Hope Tags and Mead aren't out. Got ODwyer coming back and I reckon SWalker deserves a shot at a wing spot if Mead is unavailable.

Heading home now.

titansrawesome
27-06-10, 04:28 PM
thinking back to last year we only had 1 loss at skilled we already have 3 this year......

jimbeam06
27-06-10, 04:36 PM
You know i cant belive some people on here that take a loss so easily im sorry to take games to heart. Also why is it that no one singles out our game plan it is the same every week and last year we have one game plan its straight up the middle and only really pays of when prince is playing and when we get found out on our defence there are no changes and teams just go to that side of the ground everytime. So sorry for taking every game to heart that is just me and i just cant see us going anywhere this year Unless we make some changes.

titansrawesome
27-06-10, 04:38 PM
You know i cant belive some people on here that take a loss so easily im sorry to take games to heart. Also why is it that no one singles out our game plan it is the same every week and last year we have one game plan its straight up the middle and only really pays of when prince is playing and when we get found out on our defence there are no changes and teams just go to that side of the ground everytime. So sorry for taking every game to heart that is just me and i just cant see us going anywhere this year Unless we make some changes.

you dont have to apologise to me, i think taking the game to heart means that you truly are a teams fan.

DIEHARD
27-06-10, 04:51 PM
Loses should always hurt us. Painful but healthy...

Disappointing crowd of 13k odd.

titansrawesome
27-06-10, 04:54 PM
Loses should always hurt us. Painful but healthy...

Disappointing crowd of 13k odd.

didnt we 22k average crowds last year?

teke
27-06-10, 04:58 PM
sucky day when it should be a great day for my, not sure but my partner is having contractionsAre you at the footy and not looking after your pregnant partner when she is close to birth :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Supergoose
27-06-10, 05:10 PM
Whilst the refs should open a meat shop after butchering this game, I think we can be proud of our boys for continually turning up and also pay tribute to the knights defence. The knights scored most of their points from their defence and also prevented us from scoring after our many line-breaks.
We weren't terrible, but just didn't get the rub of the green. I can't think of anyone who played poorly and it was good
to see Layne get some decent game time. The bye has come at
the right time and it will be interesting to see how we line-up against the tigers. Not sure how bad taga or mead are but I would think tomane will be back. I hate to lose as much as anyone but if you played alright and the refs had a shocker or the opposition played well you just have to cop it. The knights made the most of their limited opportunities eventhough they still coughed up a lot of ball.

Nathalie
27-06-10, 05:49 PM
when u add the worst refereeing decisions we ever had

Twas funny when the ref stacked it though, after the non-call for the Titans :p

Chaos
27-06-10, 05:58 PM

I understand what your feeling jimbeam...our attack on the oppositions line is the worst I've ever seen...it's on par with Parramatta.
I saw 2 Titan penalties in the first half, 10 metres from the Knights line and not one decent set play put on in both sets.
We certainly miss Prince but even when Prince is there we can't create an overlap or run a line that will get through.
We score length of the field tries with ease, so we have the individual skill and our go forward up the middle is good...we just can't score from set plays.

Zillman killed it up middle and I think his style suits coming through there.
I didn't pay too much attention to Lawton's game and I don't know what plan we have in place for him...I thought he was dummy half.

I think we should start with 4 forwards on the bench or a utility back like Preston. Meads injury killed us

teke
27-06-10, 06:05 PM
Meads injury was terrible.

He is the leading all kick return metre gainer for wingers in the comp and leading all run metres in the club ahead of Bailey. He will be out for a few weeks and takes away some potency on the edge. Taga was looking around for him just after the injury and it would have been close to a try if he was there.

I hope Shannon gets a crack in his spot.

Coaster
27-06-10, 06:09 PM
Ughh what the he'll is going on? It seemed our whole game plan went out the window once Mead went off. Lots of positional changes for a winger.

I know this sounds corny, but they need to believe in themselves. Teams look at us as a big contender, but for some reason we invite them into the game and allow them to match us, we really are better then that, we need to start getting ugly with them. Punish them, and make them fold under our will

Chaos
27-06-10, 06:12 PM
Ughh what the he'll is going on? It seemed our whole game plan went out the window once Mead went off. Lots of positional changes for a winger.

I know this sounds corny, but they need to believe in themselves. Teams look at us as a big contender, but for some reason we invite them into the game and allow them to match us, we really are better then that, we need to start getting ugly with them. Punish them, and make them fold under our will

They players want to but they just don't know what to do when attacking the line...they get lost

teke
27-06-10, 06:14 PM

I know this sounds corny, but they need to believe in themselves. Teams look at us as a big contender, but for some reason we invite them into the game and allow them to match us, we really are better then that, we need to start getting ugly with them. Punish them, and make them fold under our willI think it was who was on the bench that changed the nature of the game drastically. Im not a big fan of 4 forwards on the bench, today it happened to show us why they should keep a back on standby but this isnt always the case.

jimbeam06
27-06-10, 06:20 PM
bring back toopi:thumbsup:

Coaster
27-06-10, 06:28 PM
IMO if you lose a winger you sacrifice a reserve and play with a weakened edge, the center and makeshift winger swap for 5 tackle options.

We lost a Center and winger from the same side and changed
Our fullback to winger
Halfback to fullback
Reserve hooker to halfback
Reserve lock to center
And weakened every position.

It's bad game theory

Supergoose
27-06-10, 06:37 PM
Meads injury was terrible.

He is the leading all kick return metre gainer for wingers in the comp and leading all run metres in the club ahead of Bailey. He will be out for a few weeks and takes away some potency on the edge. Taga was looking around for him just after the injury and it would have been close to a try if he was there.

I hope Shannon gets a crack in his spot.

I reckon mead's stats are pumped up by the fact that every team kicks
to his wing because they don't want Preston or Gordon bringing the ball back. Would love to see walker come back but I reckon we might see tomane on the wing. They won't kick to him with any room to move.

Supergoose
27-06-10, 06:40 PM
IMO if you lose a winger you sacrifice a reserve and play with a weakened edge, the center and makeshift winger swap for 5 tackle options.

We lost a Center and winger from the same side and changed
Our fullback to winger
Halfback to fullback
Reserve hooker to halfback
Reserve lock to center
And weakened every position.

It's bad game theory

lawnton was our cover for the backline. If we're playing taga and bird in the backline already we should have more cover on the bench. I reckon they shouldve just moved presto to the wing. Bo looked alright at centre though.

teke
27-06-10, 06:45 PM
I reckon mead's stats are pumped up by the fact that every team kicks
to his wing because they don't want Preston or Gordon bringing the ball back. Would love to see walker come back but I reckon we might see tomane on the wing. They won't kick to him with any room to move.Could be true but Kevin even with his 4 long distant tries this season is still a 1 or 200mtrs behind Mead in all run metres. Mead is a much grittier runner who gets in and does good hard yards which every team needs. If I was the opposing team kicker i would be aiming at Kevin, he has a million more surrendering tackles in the team. Tomane could be back for the Tigers game but im not thinking so atm.

Probably Josh Graham to the wing :D

teke
27-06-10, 06:51 PM
Minichello had a very good game today. Probably the hardest man to put on the ground in the comp at the moment

Mushi
27-06-10, 06:53 PM
Very disappointed with todays game. Some VERY harsh decisions went against us and our injury toll is certainly adding up and playing havoc with the team. We really seemed to go into disarray both weeks when we had players off injured. Bird I think was just trying tooo hard to replace prince and not much of it paid off. Our defence wasn't too bad but our attack options near the line certainly aren't showing much. Hope the bye does all the boys good and they are back to some winning form for a few tough games ahead of them!
And yes what is with the dwindling crowd numbers???? Only 13ish thous for a sunday afternoon?? hoping the weather was what kept them away and we are due for a packed house for titans vs broncos!

titansrawesome
27-06-10, 07:11 PM
i really think(besides our horrible set pieces with forwards just hitting it up and our backline always flat) that we are just not playing with either heart or confidence or both, think back to last year, noone wanted a run at our last line of defense and it was the 3rd best defense in our comp and other teams were worried when we in their 20, now its a complete contrast. maybe we just need a different game plan idk.

teke
27-06-10, 07:15 PM
Thinking back to last year Titans were seen as over achieving now this year they are seen as underachieving. Could be a good sign coming into the semis as we might do the opposite of what we did last year.

teke
27-06-10, 07:44 PM
Did anyone see Kevin Lockes collision with the upright today, dam that looked nasty and had me cringing in my chair.

Titanic
27-06-10, 08:51 PM
Gee ... sometimes being a fan sucks. I posted this in another forum but it's just as applicable here ... yes, it's my frustration but:

How long are we going to accept mediocrity from our team?

It's all well and good to be politically correct and most modern in our persona but that has to transfer into some form on the field.

Errors, errors, juvenile errors cannot continue to be rewarded with selection each week.

We are just beating ourselves, week in week out, in all senses of the word.

Coaster
27-06-10, 09:40 PM
Gee ... sometimes being a fan sucks. I posted this in another forum but it's just as applicable here ... yes, it's my frustration but:

How long are we going to accept mediocrity from our team?

It's all well and good to be politically correct and most modern in our persona but that has to transfer into some form on the field.

Errors, errors, juvenile errors cannot continue to be rewarded with selection each week.

We are just beating ourselves, week in week out, in all senses of the word.

I agree, I'm not sure if Carty is tough enough sometimes, not with his select crew. He dropped Zillman for a week or two, and look how well he returned.

He was more than tough with Esi last year, but accepts garbage from others week in week out.

In saying that it was hard to pinpoint a problem player, I think Chaos hit it on the head, they just don't know what to do.
They need to learn to be aggressively patient.

matti
28-06-10, 01:58 AM
Im am please to annouce that a new little titan has came into this world! my partner went into labour well started at 4pm as the game started then around 7 quickly got her to the hospital were she gave birth at 12:40am . Tho the bet i lost and now the middle name cant be called titan.

matti
28-06-10, 01:58 AM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6792/36354438181187802641667.jpg

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 04:46 AM
Im am please to annouce that a new little titan has came into this world! my partner went into labour well started at 4pm as the game started then around 7 quickly got her to the hospital were she gave birth at 12:40am . Tho the bet i lost and now the middle name cant be called titan.

She is beautiful! Congratulations! :thumbsup: :) I can't wait to meet her some day soon.

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 04:54 AM
I think Coaster is correct, we need to be more ruthless in selection. Zillman has been great since he has returned and it was a shame that we had to move him to the wing. And hopefully Esi returns soon.

It's so frustrating, we always seem to lose the games we should canter in on paper. If you looked back at it all, we would have lost a great deal of these match ups. I can hack losing to a better team, but hate being ambushed.

And once again an opposition team bounced back from a poor performance the week before.

Alot of the Knights points came against play, their converting was great and also got the run with the refs and scored off a forward pass.

We had more metres gained, more completed sets and more possession. And we still failed to win!

But hey... at least we aren't England soccer fans who just got thumped 4-1 and at least we aren't suffering Cowboys fans (We better be careful or theyll ambush us, again and they did it in late 2009 as well). Up 18 nil at half time and losing to Cronulla. Heartbreaking. It was in Townsville as well.

The Roosters vs Warriors game looked amazing, Locke is a champion, he didn't hestitate to score that try. All he saw was ball and try line, the post was relevant to him. I hope he doesn't suffer an injury that keeps him out. Bu the Kiwi Rugby League fans who attended in Christchurch were sure treated to a great game.

Back to our game, very disapponted with the crowd. I can't accept crowds under 15k. Especially on a Sunday afternoon, in Women In League Round and also with a fantastic $40.00 Family Ticket offer on the table. Maybe we didn't do enough to promote it. Maybe we need to have better form along with the absence of Princey. It's a given the footy is expensive, just had to see any sub 15k crowds.

The next home game is the BRONCOS, so it doesn't get any easier, it's red alert. Hopefully we can rest up over the BYE and take out the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown and get our season back on the road.

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 05:13 AM
Gidley inspires Knights' win over Titans

No disrespect intended, but Newcastle Knights coach Rick Stone is set to become rugby league's "worst judge in the world".

After watching Kurt Gidley inspire Newcastle's 24-16 NRL upset over the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park on Sunday, Stone launched a passionate case for his Knights skipper to be retained as NSW Origin captain.

"I thought the skipper at the back was outstanding. He was probably the difference in the game to be honest," he said of his fullback.

"If he's not NSW captain and fullback I am the worst judge in the world."

But it appears Stone's words will fall on deaf ears.

After copping heat for making Gidley the first NSW skipper in Origin history to start on the bench in game two, Blues selectors are tipped to hand the reins to Cronulla veteran Trent Barrett in his interstate swansong.

Not only will Gidley not be starting No.1, he is again expected to be retained on the Blues bench when the Origin III side is named on Monday night.

But if Gidley was sweating on the announcement, it didn't show on Sunday.

Indeed NSW selectors would be forgiven for having second thoughts about benching Gidley after his inspirational hand on Sunday.

Apart from four crunch conversion kicks - including two from the sideline - Gidley seemed to be in everything as the Knights kicked on from their 18-12 halftime lead.

If there were any doubts about man of the match honours, they evaporated in the final 10 minutes when Gidley cut down a rampant Brad Meyers - one of three try saving tackles.

Gidley's heroics were typified by taking down Meyers - all 190cm, 103kg of him - just metres from the line.

Meyers is big enough - but add his flowing red locks and woolly beard and the frontrower is a fearsome sight indeed.

"He's a pretty scary guy when he's coming through the line, but it's part of my job to tackle him," Gidley said.

Asked about the NSW captaincy, Gidley said: "I haven't thought about it until that last game.

"It would be nice to be named just to start with," he said.

"I will be relaxed until the team is named on Monday night and see what happens from there."

Gidley admitted he relished his time on the paddock following a nightmare time off it dealing with the fallout over the sensational departure from NSW Origin II camp of good friends Timana Tahu and Andrew Johns.

"It's good to come back from a tough couple of weeks like that and into a footy team who are a good bunch of blokes - that's the reason you play the game," Gidley said.

The four-tries-to-three victory kept the Knights (6-9 record) in the finals hunt.

But Titans coach John Cartwright was not a happy camper after the Gold Coast (9-6) missed a chance to jump into outright third.

Adding injury to insult, winger David Mead (knee) and centre Sam Tagataese (shoulder) went down in the first half and didn't return.

"It's just disappointing because there was an opportunity to skip clear of a pack chasing us," Cartwright said

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 05:30 AM
Knights shock Princeless Titans

The two faces of Greg Bird were on display as the Gold Coast Titans went down to the Newcastle Knights 24-16 at Skilled Park.

A week after slotting the winning field goal against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium, Bird had a mixed day at the office against the resurgent Knights.

The off-season recruit constructed the first two Titans tries, but also erred several times as the Knights struck back.

With the win, the Knights logged back-to-back victories for the first time this season after last week?s 6-4 result against the visiting Eels.

It cost Gold Coast a chance to jump the Tigers into third spot on the ladder behind the Dragons and Panthers.

The Titans have the bye next week and will be sweating on the return of skipper Scott Prince, who followed the action from the stands after suffering a hamstring injury against the Bulldogs.

His poise around the ruck and kicking game were sorely missed today, as Bird and Preston Campbell took control in the halves.

The Titans started the game strong until a Bird intercept pass let the Knights off the hook as they defended their own line. A play later second rower Zeb Taia waltzed through a gap from 10m out to open the scoring.

The former Sharks pivot atoned for his mistake 11 minutes later when he picked up the ball in broken play and turned lock Ashley Harrison inside for the home side?s first try.

The Titans took the lead nine minutes later when replacement forward Brad Meyers scored a rare four pointer just seconds after replacing Michael Henderson. Again Bird was in the thick of the action, taking the ball to the line before rolling a grubber into the in-goal for the red-headed prop to pounce.

The 13,396 fans in attendance felt an Adam McDougall pass, which put winger James McManus over in the corner, was forward. The referees disagreed and the scores were level at 12-12 after captain Kurt Gidley?s sideline conversion.

The Titans had a golden chance to seize a halftime lead when Preston Campbell?s kickoff went dead. However a Bird dropped ball again let the visitors out of jail as they covered the length of the field before centre Junior Sa?u crashed over on the left sideline.

Deputising at the scrum base for injured skipper Scott Prince, Campbell put fullback William Zillman away in the corner 12 minutes after the break.

With 13 minutes to play, the Knights went out to a 24-16 lead after replacement back Wes Naiqama brushed aside Bird and then flattened Campbell on his way to the line.

Centre Mat Rogers kicked 2/3 for the Titans, who next face the Tigers at Campbelltown on July 9.

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 07:34 AM
Titans fall to the Knights

An injury ravaged Jetstar Gold Coast Titans side was left lamenting a lack of discipline and desperation after suffering a 24-16 upset loss to the Newcastle Knights at Skilled Park on Sunday.

watch the post match press conference now

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=27261

bigjim
28-06-10, 08:24 AM
The difference between the two teams was just an inspiring game by Gidley and a mediocre game by Preston, Friend and Bird.
It happens sometimes.

And let's not forget the incredible refereeing. A thing of beauty for all to ponder.

DIEHARD
28-06-10, 08:27 AM
The difference between the two teams was just an inspiring game by Gidley and a mediocre game by Preston, Friend and Bird.
It happens sometimes.

True bigjim. Gidley played the house down. Interesting to see if he holds a position in the Blues tonight.

titansrawesome
28-06-10, 09:19 AM
i think our attack is just wasted efforts, you see other teams spread the ball in their own half and on 2nd and 3rd tackle, ore attack is flat and we usually waste 3 tackles on hit ups, have you seen the warriors and tigers play, they run to the line and then pass it 3 meters back and they have room to move and the backs are wide, the broncos do it all the time too, and we need dragons gritty defense.

Mushi
28-06-10, 09:32 AM
I often feel that we panic when things aren't going right and that is where our attack flounders. When we stick to our game plan and knuckle down in defense our efforts pay off but when we try to conjour up some magic we just drop balls and make silly mistakes. The boys however DID not give up and were as frustrated on the field as their fans were off. I felt that all had an "ordinary" game - noone really outstanding and no one really bad - just had no spark right across the park!!! Lets hope that spark is found over the bye weekend and we fighting fit to face the tigers down there in 2 weeks!!! - with hopefully some injury comebacks!!

GOATUS
28-06-10, 06:23 PM
Anyone else noticed that more often then most we dont play to the whistle like the first newcastle try our defence thought it was a forward pass and stood there waiting for the whistle while they scored its not the first time iv noticed this they seem to do it often

teke
28-06-10, 11:40 PM
Anyone else noticed that more often then most we dont play to the whistle like the first newcastle try our defence thought it was a forward pass and stood there waiting for the whistle while they scored its not the first time iv noticed this they seem to do it oftenI have noticed this on more than one occasion. Rookie mistake to make