PDA

View Full Version : Tahu walks out on Origin

Ryan
12-06-10, 01:49 PM
Joey row: Tahu walks out on Origin
By Andrew Webster in Kingscliff
The Daily Telegraph
June 12, 2010 10:52AM

PARRAMATTA winger Timana Tahu walked out on the NSW Origin side after a personal fallout with assistant coach and former Knights teammate Andrew Johns.

Despite the seriousness of the matter, a "shattered" Johns has not been dismissed from the camp.

It is understood that a remark that Johns said earlier in the week in Tahu's presence had offended him. He asked coach Craig Bellamy if he could leave the camp and left yesterday afternoon.

"Earlier in the camp I made some comments which Timana Tahu deemed inappropriate and offensive," Johns said.

"My comments weren't directed towards Timana, they were about myself and Timana's deemed them to be offensive and inappropriate.

"I'm really upset and shattered. We go way back. I've known him since he was a kid. Unfortunately, we had a day off yesterday and I didn't get a chance to see 'T' before he left. I've been trying to call him.

"It's a private matter between myself and him and we'll talk in the next couple of days."

Tahu has been replaced by Canberra star Joel Monaghan who was rushed into the side last night. He was cleared of a thumb injury before joining the camp yesterday.

"It's something you would rather not deal with but you have to respect Timana's privacy and his views, which we do," team manager Craig Young said.

"In relation to Joey, he's very shattered. He's obviously very passionate about NSW. He'll get back on the bike today and he'll get on with it."

Ryan
12-06-10, 01:50 PM
Joey remarks forced Tahu walk out on NSW
AAP
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:12:45
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/59030/tahu-out-of-nsw-origin-team/default.aspx

NSW Winger Timana Tahu sensationally walked out of the Blues State of Origin camp after taking offence to remarks made by assistant coach Andrew Johns.

A devastated Johns would not reveal what he said to former Newcastle teammate Tahu, but told reporters at the team's camp in Kingscliff in Northern NSW, that he was "shattered".

Stunned Blues officials were forced to call up Canberra Raiders winger Joel Monaghan, as a emergency replacement just four days out from Origin two at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

"Earlier in the week I made some comments which Timana Tahu deemed inappropriate and offensive," Johns told reporters on Saturday.

"My comments weren't directed towards Timana, some of the comments were about myself and 'T' (Tahu) deemed them to be offensive and inappropriate.

"I am really upset and shattered that I have offended T, we go way back. I've known him since he's been a kid.

"Unfortunately we had a day off yesterday and I didn't get a chance to see 'T' before he left and tried to call him.

"It is a private matter between myself and him, and we'll talk in the next couple of days."

NSW team manager Craig Young said that Tahu spoke with Blues coach Craig Bellamy at lunchtime on Friday, when many of the players, who had a day off, were playing golf.

Tahu told Bellamy he was leaving the camp, throwing into further disarray the Blues' preparations as they attempt to square the series on Wednesday and avoid a fifth successive defeat.

"He approached the coach yesterday afternoon and said he wanted to leave the camp for personal reasons," Young said.

"He just jumped in a cab and went to the airport."

Young apologised to media for keeping them in the dark about the situation on Friday night, but said it was difficult to get hold of selectors to find a replacement for Tahu.

He also said Monaghan needed a medical clearance for a thumb injury, which he only received on Saturday morning.

"We have been trying to contact Timana, we have spoken to (Parramatta CEO) Paul Osborne and left messages for his manager.

"We just have to talk to him and we can't do that at the moment.

"It's his decision and we have to respect that.

"In relation to Joey, he is shattered. He is obviously very passionate about NSW.

"He'll get back on the bike at training today and we have to get on with it.

"It's a matter of NSW preparing well, putting their best foot forward and winning the game."

Ryan
12-06-10, 01:52 PM
Boohu :cry:
Hows that for NSW passion :ugh:

titanstattman
12-06-10, 02:02 PM
As much as it dont look too god maybe its sumthing that goes way pass passion...

titansrawesome
12-06-10, 04:52 PM
tahu is stupid and crap anyways, but i wonder what andrew said to him, i really dont know what he could have said.

titanstattman
12-06-10, 05:50 PM
They were saying on Fox that it was dur to family reasons and going to Craig two days later im thinking it has alot more to do with family......... And if it was Johns he prob asked him if he want a line or sumthing......

Chaos
12-06-10, 06:08 PM
tahu is stupid and crap anyways

Tahu is great footballer with a tuffness that is hard to replace...you mustn't have seen many of his games.

titansrawesome
12-06-10, 06:42 PM
Tahu is great footballer with a tuffness that is hard to replace...you mustn't have seen many of his games.

but would you pick him over michael jennings or josh morris or akuila uate?

Ryan
14-06-10, 10:53 AM
Like the Wallabies, Tahu was never gonna get any headlines by playing for NSW - but at least he got his headlines when he walked out on them......

Regardless of right or wrong, this is something that should have been kept under wraps for NSW's & NRL's sake. This much distraction and negative press for a comment you overheard and wasn't directed at you?

They would be better off with the other Morris brother in the #5, Tahu has always been over rated IMO.

titansrawesome
14-06-10, 11:00 AM
Like the Wallabies, Tahu was never gonna get any headlines by playing for NSW - but at least he got his headlines when he walked out on them......

Regardless of right or wrong, this is something that should have been kept under wraps for NSW's & NRL's sake. This much distraction and negative press for a comment you overheard and wasn't directed at you?

They would be better off with the other Morris brother in the #5, Tahu has always been over rated IMO.

they already called in monaghan instead of josh morris or michael jennings

Ryan
14-06-10, 11:18 AM
they already called in monaghan instead of josh morris or michael jennings
Yeah... That was in the first article I posted. Josh Morris offers more than Tahu and Jennings.

titansrawesome
14-06-10, 04:38 PM
Yeah... That was in the first article I posted. Josh Morris offers more than Tahu and Jennings.

it would go
1.morris
2.jennings
3.lyon

Steelers
14-06-10, 04:51 PM
We are discussing wingers aren't we? Josh Morris is a centre. Michael Jennings is a centre. Jamie Lyon (injured) is a centre.

Ryan
14-06-10, 05:25 PM
We are discussing wingers aren't we? Josh Morris is a centre. Michael Jennings is a centre. Jamie Lyon (injured) is a centre.
Yeah, but we're selecting for NSW. Their best centre was a 5/8, their best fullback was a winger, their best utility was a fullback and there bench utility spot was taken by a rookie center. Oh, and now their captain is starting from the bench. So.......Yeh. Selecting Josh Morris on the wing couldn't possibly be their worst decision. Who would be better?