PDA

View Full Version : Rugby League Week

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 05:10 PM
RLW Media Release: Issue 17
RLW MEDIA RELEASE: Issue 17. June 9, 2010. 12.01am (NSW side)

BRONCOS PLAYERS WANT LOCKYER TO QUIT ORIGIN, CAMPBELL MAY RETIRE EARLY, PATTEN BREAKS HIS SILENCE, HAYNE?S PAIN, GEYER EDICT

QUEENSLAND captain Darren Lockyer says next Wednesday?s clash with NSW may not be his final State of Origin appearance in Brisbane ? but his Broncos club-mates have called on him quit representative football.

As the Maroons prepare to wrap up a fifth consecutive interstate series at Suncorp Stadium, the decorated skipper is at odds with his young team about whether to go around again for Queensland and Australia next year.

Lockyer tells today?s Rugby League Week: ?I don?t know if it?s going to be my last Origin in Brisbane.?

But 21-year-old Brisbane fullback Josh Hoffman comments: ?It would be great if Locky quit rep footy, so we could have him around even more.

?He could just concentrate on the Broncos and it would also be helpful for all us young fellas.?

A man RLW reveals is considering a shock early exit from rugby league altogether is Gold Coast evergreen Preston Campbell, who is under contract with the Titans in 2011.

?I?ll see how I feel at the end of this season,? Campbell tels RLW?s A-List section.

?If I say to them, ?I don?t want to play next season?, it?s not like they?ll have to rush out and get someone quickly because we?ve got plenty of blokes here ready to take my position. ?

On a similar theme, Canterbury fullback Luke Patten has spoken for the first time about his 2011 escape clause, saying he will exercise it if he can get a three-year contact in Super League.

?I?ve got a year here next year and if I get a couple more years over there, it kind of makes sense to go, I think, early,? Patten tells Rugby League Week.

?You don?t know how many times you?re going to get that option, that chance to go.?

And in the wake of Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne?s judiciary appearance, his team-mates have spoken out about the level of sledging he has to contend with on a weekly basis.

?Because he is such a great player, he has been targeted every week this year . . . even more than last season I think,? said five-eighth Kris Keating.

?Players are trying to get under his skin, to do whatever they can to put him off his game and it is a lot for one guy to handle. There is a lot of rivalry between him and Billy (Slater) and it probably got to both of them a bit.??

Plus: columnist Mark Geyer on NSW?s most important Origin match ever, Nathan Gardner, Anthony Tupou, The Mole and MORE.

Only in RUGBY LEAGUE WEEK, OUT TODAY across Australasia

For further information contact editor MARTIN LENEHAN, on +61 (0) 411 158 024 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +61 (0) 411 158 024 end_of_the_skype_highlightinghttp://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/rlw/ http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/rlw/

Source: RLW

DIEHARD
22-06-10, 11:33 PM
RLW MEDIA RELEASE: Issue 19

DALEY THE NEW BLUES COACHING FAVOURITE, SNUBBED PANTHER ‘DESERVES AN ANSWER’, WESTS TIGERS FIRE UP, STORM STAR’S RUGBY UNION LINK

FORMER Australia captain Laurie Daley has firmed in the race to coach New South Wales in next year’s State of Origin series, Rugby League Week reveals today.

While Ricky Stuart, Phil Gould and Brad Fittler have all been mentioned, today’s edition of RLW tells how powerful figures within the NSW Rugby League support Daley’s appointment.

“Laurie has coached Country and done so successfully and that is a traditional stepping-stone to the NSW job,” says NSWRL boss Geoff Carr .tells the magazine

“He is not coaching full-time in the NRL at the moment and that also counts in his favour.

“There have been calls for an independent coach and we certainly support the concept.

“But at the same time, you want the best coach available.”

In other Origin news, Penrith star Michael Jennings has predicted he will again be snubbed for the final match of the series and his club CEO, Mick Leary, comments: “The kid deserves an explanation”.

“I don’t think I’m going to get picked for Game Three,” Jennings tells RLW. “I’m not sure (why). I am happy with my form. I’ve developed more as a centre . . . but I guess they’re looking somewhere else.

“My knee was a factor earlier in the year but it’s not slowing me up now.”

The extent to which Wests Tigers are being motivated by players’ representative omissions has been laid bare, prop Bryce Gibbs saying: “The boys see it as a bit of a personal snub and are using it to fire them up.

“We are coming third for a reason and the guys are entitled to be filthy. They are using it as motivation . . . we all are.”

An attempt by the NSW Rugby Union to buy out the contract of brilliant Melbourne winger Matt Duffie has failed and no-one is happier than the man himself.

“The club’s been through a lot lately and I want to be here when it gets rebuilt,’’ the try-hungry New Zealander says.

“I love league – I love it to watch as well. I haven’t watched a rugby union game since I’ve moved here. “

And League Week details the program to make St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd the best player in the NRL.

Plus: Matt Bowen, Mark Geyer, The Mole, Legend Q&A as well as the best in news, features, stats and pictures from around the rugby league world!

Only in RUGBY LEAGUE WEEK, OUT TODAY across Australasia!

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/rlw/

DIEHARD
14-07-10, 08:40 PM
RLW Media Release: Issue 22
RLW MEDIA RELEASE: Issue 22

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/143/l_7762629b65e84ee39d5a5ee08d40d093.jpg

TUIAKI CAREER OVER?, KING WILL NOT ABDICATE THONE, IZZY?S FOUR NATIONS CURVE BALL, SHARKS CHASE ORFORD, KIWI STAR RELEASE, BURGESS WARNING

FORMER New Zealand Test star Taniela Tuiaki may have played his last game in the NRL, Rugby League Week today reveals.

Tuiaki, 28, broke his leg in round 24 last year and hasn?t played since, Wests Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell telling RLW: ?Normally we wouldn?t hesitate in re-signing Taniela.

?But the sad reality is he is not making much progress and the injury is proving very hard for him to overcome.

?Beau Ryan is doing a great job for us so we?ll just have to wait and see if he improves before we make any decision.?

In the wake of another damaging loss, North Queensland coach Neil Henry has said performance clauses in his contract will not force him to leave.

?I?ve got a five year contract so I?ll be here until then,? Henry tells League Week.

?I intend to be here to see out my contract and try and get the club get back to the finals.?

Queensland star Israel Folau has thrown the game another curve ball by saying he?s available to play in this year?s Four Nations despite his impending move to Aussie Rules.

?It would be great to, if I can,? Folau tells Rugby League Week when asked about the October-November tournament in Australia and New Zealand.

The scene is now set for Queensland selectors and players to go into bat for Folau like they did before Origin II.

?I missed out on that Test match earlier in the year and I think I know what they?ll do at the end of the year too," Folau adds.

?It won?t be a big fuss at all. It depends. I think my contract runs out in November.?

Cronulla have their eye on Matt Orford for next season despite the halfback being under contract to Bradford. "We haven't spoken to Matt but it's something we may consider," said incoming coach Shane Flanagan.

Jeremy Smith, New Zealand?s player of the year in their World Cup season of 2008, has been tentatively offered a release by St George Illawarra.

?I?ve spoken to (coach) Wayne Bennett and he?s not keen to let Jeremy go but he?s told me that if he can get a good three-year deal somewhere, he?ll consider it,? said manager Sam Ayoub.

And South Sydney are worried England star Sam Burgess? effectiveness in the finals will be blunted after a harsh penalty against him for a high tackle in last Friday?s derby loss to Sydney Roosters.

?Sam was penalised because he hit (Mitchell) Pearce too hard,? said Rabbitohs forwards coach Gorden Tallis.

?Agression is Sam?s strength ? he shouldn?t be muzzled by refs.?

Plus ? Braith Anasta, Dean Bell, Michael Ennis, Kurt Gidley, Steve Renouf, Robbie O?Davis, Sam Thaiday, comings and goings, The Mole, Ben Teo, Lote Tuqiri and MORE!

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=19746964&blogId=537093837#ixzz0tejG2bSf