Subs:
14 Joe Galuvao
15 Vic Mauro
16 Matt Cross
17 George Rose
19 Jamie Buhrer.

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 10:30 PM
i really hope john picks bodene,cannings,o dwyer and is tonga back from injury yet? if not when is he back?

Blazertaser
07-06-10, 10:32 PM
Interesting game this one, both coming off losses, both wanting the win badly :)
Should be a great game, what time you getting there brad?

Blazer:thumbsup:

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 10:33 PM
Interesting game this one, both coming off losses, both wanting the win badly :)
Should be a great game, what time you getting there brad?

perfect time to stop the rot, especially when ther is no lyon,watmough or matai.

titanstattman
08-06-10, 10:22 AM
i really hope john picks bodene,cannings,o dwyer and is tonga back from injury yet? if not when is he back?

O'dwyer is looking good for match this week... Cannings is facing a one match ban in the QLD cup.... And Bodene should be pick aswell this week........

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 01:39 PM
We might see some surprise inclusions in today's team.

We don't expect wholesale changes, that sort of thing is counter productive. But some more competition and accoutability would be welcome. We have the depth so we need to utilise it by creating a healthy level of competition.

I'd be stoked if Mat Rogers returns early!

Well Blaze Im volunteering for the Titans to hand out flyers for the brand new 4 Game Membership, so I'll be there around 4:30pm. I encourage anyone else to get involved and help promote this new Membership.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 03:22 PM
Rogers to return for Sea Eagles clash

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will be boosted by the return of dual international Mat Rogers for Friday night's blockbuster against Manly at Skilled Park.

After missing the past eights weeks with a knee injury, Rogers has been named by Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright in the centres in a new-look Titans outfit which also includes several other fresh faces in utility Luke O'Dwyer, rookie Ryan James and forward Bodene Thompson.

O'Dwyer has been named on the interchange bench to make his long awaited return from a knee reconstruction, in what marks his first NRL match since suffering a serious knee injury against Manly in Round 26 last year.

James, a 19-year-old local junior from the Bilambil Jets, is set to make his NRL debut after some strong performances as captain of the Jetstar Titans' NYC team.

To view the full Jetstar Titans squad along with the Titans’ National Youth Competition (NYC) team to take on the Sea Eagles go to:

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=26604

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 03:23 PM
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will be boosted by the return of dual international Mat Rogers for Friday night's blockbuster against Manly at Skilled Park.

After missing the past eights weeks with a knee injury, Rogers has been named by Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright in the centres in a new-look Titans outfit which also includes several other fresh faces in utility Luke O'Dwyer, rookie Ryan James and forward Bodene Thompson.

O'Dwyer has been named on the interchange bench to make his long awaited return from injury in what marks his first NRL match since suffering a serious knee injury against Manly in Round 26 last year.

James, a 19-year-old local junior from the Bilambil Jets, is set to make his NRL debut after some strong performances as captain of the Jetstar Titans' NYC team.

The full NRL and NYC squad to take on the Sea Eagles are included below.

Titans v Sea Eagles
Friday, June 11
Skilled Park @ 7.30pm

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Mat Rogers
4 Sam Tagataese
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Bodene Thompson

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Ryan James
17 Luke O’Dwyer
18 William Zillman

Coach: John Cartwright

Titans NYC vs Manly NYC
5.15pm kick-off

1 Japeth Vaoa
2 Lachlan Creighton
3 Jamie Dowling
4 Dominic Walsh
5 Ryan Tongia
6 Jordan Rankin
7 Cody Walker
8 Josh Coyle
9 Matt Srama
10 Jarrod Wallace
11 Kurt Foggo
12 Ayden Lee
13 Jack Clark

Interchange
14 Jesse Malcolm
15 Luke Page
16 Guy Borgas
17 Danny Kerr
20 Alec Jones

Coach: Rod Patison

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 03:23 PM

O'Dwyer has been named on the interchange bench to make his long awaited return from a knee reconstruction, in what marks his first NRL match since suffering a serious knee injury against Manly in Round 26 last year.

To view the full Jetstar Titans squad along with the Titans? National Youth Competition (NYC) team to take on the Sea Eagles go to:

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=26604
wow ryan james gonna make his debut, sweet as.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 03:24 PM
3. Mat Rogers

3. Sam Tagataese

13. Bodene

17. Luke O'dwyer

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 03:25 PM
Wow I'm bloody excited about this game! I'm delighted to see Bodene, O'Dwyer and Rogers back. Some of my favourite players.

Tamwelg
08-06-10, 03:31 PM
Good to see some changes have been made, some forced but other not and Ryan James gets a call up from the 20s.

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 03:41 PM
i really wish matt white wasn't in the team, toopi is quite unlucky don't you think? i think he has been great for us, put taga on bench for matt white then we have perfect line up.

Surfers6
08-06-10, 04:38 PM
i really wish matt white wasn't in the team, toopi is quite unlucky don't you think? i think he has been great for us, put taga on bench for matt white then we have perfect line up.

IMO Toopi unlucky.

but i must say that team looks great.
what about when harrison is back he goes to 12 or 13 and Mini to bench and the get white out.

patskE
08-06-10, 04:51 PM
WOWOWOWOWOWOW
rogers n odwyer
madness!!
lovin it
maybe with Harrison out i would of tryed bird at 13 and presto at fullback, but prob to many changes
taga is a great player, dnt know if he will have the same impact playing 80 mins but :S

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 04:52 PM
IMO Toopi unlucky.

but i must say that team looks great.
what about when harrison is back he goes to 12 or 13 and Mini to bench and the get white out.

yes thats a way better idea

kwigibo
08-06-10, 05:33 PM
Good for Ryan, he's practically a gold coast native too. That kid'll be the next Sonny Bill, but, you know, in a good way.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 05:42 PM
The boys will be very fired up for this game. I think they would have taken alot of positives out of Sunday's narrow loss.

I can't wait to see Ryan's debut. Very exciting.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 06:24 PM
Hopoate in squad for Titans clash

MANLY coach Des Hasler has retained rookie winger William Hopoate in his 18-man squad for Friday night?s clash against the Titans on the Gold Coast.

Hopoate made a successful NRL debut for the Sea Eagles in last Sunday?s loss against the Broncos at Brookvale Oval.

Booming back Tony Williams will again start in the centres against the Titans, partnering young Dean Whare.

Co-captain Jamie Lyon is still unavailable through injury, Anthony Watmough is also out with a torn groin and centre Steve Matai is suspended.

Hasler has opted for a six-man bench with another youngster Jamie Buhrer among them.

While the Sea Eagles are depleted through injury and suspension, the Titans will be boosted by the return of dual international Mat Rogers for the round 14 clash at Skilled Park.

Manly?s round 21 game against the Knights is on Monday, August 2 at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 06:27 PM
Titans draft in Rogers

Desperate times have lead to desperate measures with the Gold Coast Titans naming veteran Mat Rogers for this round's must win clash against Manly at Skilled Park on Friday night.

Coming up short against Canberra on Sunday condemned the Titans to an un-characteristic third loss in-a-row, and without the luxury of having an in-form side coach John Cartwright has decided to draft in Rogers in the hope it sparks his side into life.

The dual international has missed the past seven weeks after rupturing his medial ligament, but an earlier than expected recovery has seen the 34-year-old re-join his teammates on the training paddock.

Cartwright paid credit to the Titans medical staff at training on Tuesday and said Rogers' return to the centres would be a major bonus for the team.

"We've only got one more session before we play so if he (Rogers) gets through that session then he'll play," Cartwright confirmed.

"He got through today's session ok, so I'll talk to him when he cools down and hopefully he's 100 percent fit."

"The medical staff have done a great job with him, they thought he'd be out a bit longer than that so to get him back within that timeframe is a bonus for us."

But while Rogers returns the revolving door continues for Joseph Tomane, who is forced out of the Gold Coast squad with a shoulder injury after only just recovering from a hamstring strain.

Still notably disappointed by the weekend's four-point loss Cartwright did take some positives from the game, particularly the Titans' second-half turn around which gave David Furner's men a big scare as the final siren neared.

"We've learnt a lesson from the weekend and the last couple of weeks that our attention to detail and our attitude hasn't been quite right."

"I thought the last 40 minutes against Canberra really jolted us."

"I think we were hurt at half time and it was probably the best 40 minutes of footy that we've put together this year."

Attitude has been a big focus for Gold Coast this season and getting the whole team to fire on-song has been something that's troubled the club of late, however a solution may have been presented in the example of Nathan Friend's second-half tussle with Raiders star Terry Campese.

The extra-aggression seemed to lift the Titans up a gear and Cartwright agreed saying it showed a strong message to the team.

"If you think you've been wronged and you don't like losing on the scoreboard something like that can spark the side...especially when it's one of your smaller fella's out there fighting one of their bigger guys," he said.

"It certainly sends a good message that he's not out there to come second he wants to go out there and win."

"There are 17 individuals when you talk about attitude collectively out there," Cartwright said.

" If there is a couple not quite where they should be...whether it's inexperience or something they haven't prepared for that they normally do, it's something we try and find out."

"But it's 17 guys turning up in the right frame of mind and luckily we've been pretty good at that and I'm hopeful we'll be back there this Friday night." he said.

http://sportal.com.au

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 07:34 PM
ok i actually have only heard about how good ryan james is, can anyone tell me why he is a beast? i haven't seen u20 games since its 1st year

lonegull
08-06-10, 07:36 PM
great to see carty rewarding James with a call up to 1st grade he has been one of the top toyota cup players all year, also chalky on the bench adds that xfactor he gives carty so many options

matti
08-06-10, 07:51 PM
such a good game!! glad to see mat and odwyer back cant wait too watch!

kwigibo
08-06-10, 07:55 PM
ok i actually have only heard about how good ryan james is, can anyone tell me why he is a beast? i haven't seen u20 games since its 1st year

Just a big backrower, has pace and good hands, can break the line and offload, scores tries but still has a healthy workrate, hits pretty hard too. Hopefully he can reproduce that at this level.

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 08:02 PM
Just a big backrower, has pace and good hands, can break the line and offload, scores tries but still has a healthy workrate, hits pretty hard too. Hopefully he can reproduce that at this level.

sounds awesome for us :thumbsup:

Chaos
08-06-10, 08:20 PM
A lot of fans excited about some new players getting a run...will make the game an interesting watch.

I'm personally excited about Rogers returning in the centres...the position suits him and the Titans need him.
I don't expect much from him bad happy to seen him getting a run this early.

gotitans101
08-06-10, 08:44 PM
Great looking team this week, but Taga in the Centres? :s

Looking forward to it.

karnage
09-06-10, 06:57 AM
Taga might be in the centres as a match up for their wrecking ball in the centres Tony Williams.

Personally, I am not too excited about debuting an U20's kid regardless of how good they might look. We have all seen how hard it is for the likes of Q Cup players Birdie and Davis to step up to NRL standard - well it would have to be a million times harder to step up out of that p!$$ weak Toyota Cup competition. Bringing a player into a team that is leaking nearly 30 points a game from a team that is leaking nearly 50 points a game is a bit of a worry.

I hope I am wrong about him and that he makes a Whare like debut. He has to be better than Matthews though. The less we see of that guy in the team the better.

matti
09-06-10, 10:31 AM
Its always good to bring in new blood, im sure his pumped and will give his 100% im glad this game is televised live at 730pm in sydney! for once

Blazertaser
09-06-10, 12:45 PM
Its always good to bring in new blood, im sure his pumped and will give his 100% im glad this game is televised live at 730pm in sydney! for once

Yes it is always good to inject a fresh player into the team, maybe would of advised not to put them in against manly, a real big threat this year to the competition. Oh well, hope they play great.

The only thing with new players, yes they are pumped and they give their 100% into playing, but sometimes player get overexcited and overperform by dropping the ball to much, mind explosions and so on. Anyway, hope they have a great game!

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 01:22 PM
In the past debuting young players hasn't been easy. It is always a coal face.

But possibily now isn't a bad time, as Manly do have a few injuries and the Titans have players returning.

I think we can afford this luxury. Plus he is on the bench, so if the crpa hits the fan, we don't have to throw him in.

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 01:29 PM
Rogers, O'Dwyer return to Titans

IT will be a case of Return of the Titans at Skilled Park on Friday night with Luke O'Dwyer and Mat Rogers set to inject new life into the sliding Gold Coast outfit.

Needing to beat Manly to revive their season after a torrid month, Titans coach John Cartwright had no hesitation recalling Rogers and O'Dwyer yesterday in a bid to snap a three-match losing streak.

There will be a touch of irony in O'Dwyer's return against the Sea Eagles, which will be his first NRL match since he tore his anterior cruciate against the same team at Brookvale Oval in the final round last year.

Rogers will be making his return after missing eight weeks with a knee injury.

In a match of comebacks, Bodene Thompson returns to the NRL for the first time since being suspended in Round 3 in place of Ash Harrison, who will be on Queensland State of Origin duty.

Rogers will start in the centres partnering Sam Tagataese, who has shifted from the bench after Joseph Tomane (shoulder) and Clinton Toopi were left out.

O'Dwyer said yesterday missing the Titans' maiden finals has motivated him to help the side replicate their feat and ensure they were playing in late September.

"Obviously eight months off the field with injury was a long time," said O'Dwyer.

"I was confident with all the work I had been doing prior to playing that I could get back and the club's been great.

"It is tough coming back, especially when you're training and the boys are playing well and you're at the back plugging away trying to get your injury up to scratch."

Named to start from the interchange, O'Dwyer said he was looking forward to playing alongside long-time family friend and Titans Toyota Cup captain Ryan James, who was named to make his NRL debut in place of Will Matthews.

He promised Titans fans the youngster would give them a glimpse of his potential.

"I've known Ryan and his family all my life growing up around Bilambil," he said.

"He spoke (yesterday) and said he was nervous but I told him not to worry and once he is out there I don't think there will be any worries."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 01:38 PM
Rogers return bad break for Toopi

Clinton Toopi's NRL revival at the Gold Coast Titans has been curtailed by a quicker than anticipated return from the casualty ward by Mat Rogers.

The former Kiwis and New Zealand Warriors centre returns to the outer now Rogers has recovered from a serious knee injury - a month earlier than expected -- for Friday night's home match against Manly.

Toopi, who replaced the former dual international for the corresponding clash in round seven back in April, now faces a battle to regain a place in the first grade squad for the remainder of the season.

However, the 29-year-old may still have a future at the club that offered him a pathway back to the NRL for the first time since 2006 given Rogers is unlikely to have his contract extended.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle admitted it would be challenging to fit Rogers into the club's playing roster for next season due to salary cap pressure.

During his rehabilitation the 34-year-old spoke of a possible return to his original club Cronulla.

A return to rugby with the Queensland Reds is another possibility for Rogers, who played 45 Tests for the Wallabies between 2002-06.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie, who assisted Rogers' transition from league at the NSW Waratahs for three years, would not rule out recruiting the utility back for next year's Super 15.

"You never say never," he said.

Rogers was originally expected to miss three months after rupturing his medial ligament in round six against the Dragons but he has been able to return just eight weeks later.

He teams up in the centres with utility Sam Tagataese, who replaces an injured James Tomane.

Rogers' return coincides with the Titans bid to snap a three-game losing streak.

"It's great work from the medical staff to get him back," Titans coach John Cartwright said.

"They had predicted round 16 at the very earliest so to get him back in round 14, they have done a fantastic job with him."

Toopi was signed to a one-year incentive based deal as cover - and as a mentor for the club's indigenous players. He made five appearances and scored three tries including a double against
Newcastle in round nine.

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/

matti
09-06-10, 03:57 PM
The thing is new players have such a great first game then start dieing off.. eg jordan atkins :/

titansrawesome
09-06-10, 04:06 PM
The thing is new players have such a great first game then start dieing off.. eg jordan atkins :/

don't get me started with atkins......

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 04:13 PM

Well at least Gordo, Esi and Mead have endured. They are stand outs. :thumbsup:

matti
09-06-10, 04:22 PM
Yer there perfect, they should take a role like slater, always ready in position for a run

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 04:59 PM
Match Preview - Sea Eagles vs Titans

The Quantum Manly Sea Eagles take on the Gold Coast Titans in their first Friday night match this season.

In Brent Kite?s 200th NRL game, Manly travel from the Northern Beaches up to the Gold Coast to battle it out for a top four spot.

After losing to the Titans in Round 7 this year 24-22, the Sea Eagles will be looking to make amends on the Gold Coast?s home turf.

Skilled Park holds bad memories from 2009, however. All Sea Eagles members and fans will remember the heartbreaking and controversial loss in the dying minutes last year.

A penalty goal kicked by Scott Prince at the death ensured the Titans a win, 18-17.

With preparations for this week not helped by injury and Origin selection, it will be a tough trek across the border for the Sea Eagles.

With Anthony Watmough and Jamie Lyon unavailable due to injury and Steve Matai still facing one more week on the sidelines, three major forces from the team will be watching from the stands.

However with Jason King back in the squad after missing out on Origin selection. The seasoned player will be back to add depth to the forward pack.

The Titans will have Mat Rogers returning from injury which will add some spark to their side.

The Titan?s are coming off a loss also, against the Canberra Raiders. They showed great spirit after trailing 22-6 at half time and coming within four points of the Raiders, just losing 28-24.

That poses a threat to the Sea Eagles who have struggled continuously this season with their second half performance.

Even if Manly can get a good lead by half time, they?ll have to watch out for exhaustion and fatigue come the latter 40 minutes, which is more than likely when the opposition will pounce.

The playing record with these two is at 4-2 in the Sea Eagles favour ? here?s hoping Manly can widen that statistic.

The Odds:
Centrebet have the Sea Eagles at outsiders this week at $1.48 to win and the Titans at $2.66. A reminder that you must be over 18 years of age to bet.

HEAD TO HEAD:

Matt Ballin VS Nathan Friend:

Both of these talented hookers were in contention to replace Cameron Smith in Origin I. With Friend missing out and Ballin proving he had what it takes, there?ll be plenty of action when these two show up on Friday night.

Matt Ballin:

While Ballin was busy helping the Sea Eagles to premierships, he?s also been waiting patiently in the wings for Cameron Smith for that #9 Queensland Maroons jersey.

And Ballin got his chance in game one of State of Origin, playing an outstanding game for the Queenslanders.

And while the Sea Eagles workaholic has missed out on selection for game two, he?ll still want to show that he has what it takes.

One of Manly?s most consistent players, Ballin may prove to be the difference between a win and a loss for the Sea Eagles.

Nathan Friend:

Friend, on the other hand was thrown up for contention for the coveted spot in the Maroons team.

He missed out and might want to show selectors that they made a wrong decision.

In the past, Friend has labelled the Sea Eagles ?****y? and ?arrogant?. But the Titan?s pocket rocket will have to let his playing do the talking for him this week.

Kick off is at Skilled Park at 7.35pm.

http://www.mwse.com.au/

karnage
09-06-10, 05:08 PM
Who wrote this preview??

"The playing record with these two is at 4-2 in the Sea Eagles favour ? here?s hoping Manly can widen that statistic."
Excuse me???

And this gem:
"Centrebet have the Sea Eagles at outsiders this week at $1.48 to win and the Titans at $2.66. A reminder that you must be over 18 years of age to bet."
I have never seen a 2-1 on shot ($1.50) be an outsider...

Must be written by a Manly fan - biased AND clueless...!!

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 05:32 PM
Who wrote this preview??

"The playing record with these two is at 4-2 in the Sea Eagles favour ? here?s hoping Manly can widen that statistic."
Excuse me???

And this gem:
"Centrebet have the Sea Eagles at outsiders this week at $1.48 to win and the Titans at $2.66. A reminder that you must be over 18 years of age to bet."
I have never seen a 2-1 on shot ($1.50) be an outsider...

Must be written by a Manly fan - biased AND clueless...!!

Courtesy of the OFFICIAL Manly website! :banghead:

titanstattman
09-06-10, 07:26 PM
6 man bench with lawton aswell.........

curly_11
10-06-10, 08:19 AM
lawton has been doing really well in qcup. Especially playing in different positions every few weeks...

DIEHARD
10-06-10, 03:55 PM
Fresh faces to boost Titans against Manly
Mitchell Olivey and Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are hoping the return of injured players Mat Rogers and Luke O?Dwyer, along with the addition of exciting youngsters Bodene Thompson and Ryan James can get them back on track against Manly Sea Eagles at Skilled Park tomorrow night.

Rogers is set to slot straight into the centres, while Thompson will fill in at the vacant lock position left by Queensland Origin star Ashley Harrison, leaving James and O?Dwyer to make an impact from the bench.

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright was happy with the side's second half performance in the 28-24 loss to the Raiders last week, but said he hopes the mixture of experience Rogers and O?Dwyer bring to the team, along with the fresh aggression from Thompson and James can give the side a boost.

?I was happy with the second half against the Raiders, so we really focused and aimed in on what we did well there,? Cartwright said.

?All we can do is be aware of it and we?re aware, yhat?s the hardest thing about a team is getting 17 guys to think along the same lines, but I guarantee we?re all thinking along the same lines come Friday.''

James, an 18-year-old local junior from the Bilambil Jets, will make his anticipated NRL debut against the Sea Eagles.

?He?s (James) shown potential, he?s only very young, but he shows a will and a want to be there, I think we probably need a little bit of youthful enthusiasm and I think he?ll give it to us,'' said Cartwright.

?There?s a spring in the step whenever you give someone a debut, that and with O?Dwyer coming back from his long layoff through injury, it?s given us a bit of a boost.''

Thompson will play his first NRL match since being suspended against Canberrra in Round 3.

?He?s had a bit of a retched run with suspension and injury Bodene, but he brings a bit of aggression and he?s a player all the players in the side like playing with,'' said Cartwright.

?The feedback we get after the game is that they do like having Bodene in the team especially in a tough situation.?

Capping a big week for O?Dwyer, who is making his comeback after a lengthy stint in the stands with a knee injury, is the celebration of his first child, with his wife Kara giving birth to a baby boy named Jax this morning.

The Titans will be looking to put the excitement and buzz going around to good use, as they attempt to break a three-match losing streak against the tough Manly side which would see them keep their spot in top-eight.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
10-06-10, 03:56 PM
Short rest suits Titans: Cartwright

The Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says a short turnaround between games may actually benefit his team ahead of their round 14 NRL clash.

The Titans will be aiming to end a three-game losing streak when they take on Manly at Robina on Friday night.

Cartwright says the short turnaround from last Sunday's game to the match against Manly should not be a problem.

"We seem to thrive on the hard work," he said.

"I think we've had a lot of breaks recently. We had a big break in between games and then byes and it hasn't done us good.

"Before that we had some really hard work and we turned up and rolled our sleeves up and made a good fist of it so I'm looking forward to this Friday."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news

Surfers6
10-06-10, 04:39 PM
Lawton offers much more from the bench than zillman.

Surfers6
10-06-10, 04:58 PM
Lawton offers much more from the bench than zillman.

And you can just move bird to 13 when lawton is ready to be injected and keep presto roaming from the 1 for the full 80

DIEHARD
10-06-10, 05:00 PM
Rogers raring to go

Returning from a two-month injury lay-off, Titans veteran Mat Rogers is hoping to repay the faith coach John Cartwright has shown in him by putting in a big performance against Manly on Friday night.

Rogers hasn't featured for Gold Coast since injuring his medial ligament against the Dragons in Round 6, but a quicker than expected rehabilitation has the dual-international itching to get back to the action.

Thursday morning's training session at Skilled Park was the last hurdle standing in Rogers' way and after coming through unscathed, any qualms he had about his knee have since disappeared.

"It was a good hit-out this morning with a good ball-work session so it's just exciting to be out there with the team and not running around on my own," an eager Rogers said.

"I've done some pretty solid work on the knee over the last couple of weeks and a few days ago I had some reservations ... but I was reassured by the medical staff and (Titans conditioner) Ronnie Palmer who put me through all the work, and we've come up good."

Rogers said that sitting on the sidelines was frustrating especially when the side wasn't getting results, and hopes his presence on Friday night will help the Titans turn around their three-match losing streak.

"I'm not relaxed (when watching from the sidelines) put it that way. When we're winning and when we're winning well it's alright like the Penrith game but that's about it," he said.

"The boys are trying hard that's the worst thing, and they're feeling a lot of pain and you're not there with them to feel it and being part of the team that's a struggle."

"I'd like to think Carty has shown enough faith in me to put me back in the side and I want to repay that with a good performance and stay there for the rest of the year."

"I'm not in the team because I can't play so I'd like to think I can have some form of impact."

"Whether it's tightening up an edge in defence or whether it's scoring tries if the ball comes my way and I get some opportunity I'll relish that."

While speculation still surrounds the 34 year-old's future at the club, Rogers insisted that remaining a Titan was his No.1 priority heading forward, but he did recognise the importance of giving the club's up-and-comers a taste or NRL.

"I'd love to stay here, I've been here for the last three years this is my fourth now and I can feel something special brewing about the place and it would be nice to hang around," he said.

"The unfortunate thing about Rugby League is the salary cap and we have some fantastic young players who need to be paid, otherwise we'll lose them to another club or another code."

And there is no clearer indication of the Titans' desire to foster young talent with Gold Coast youth product Ryan James set to make his first-grade debut against the Sea Eagles on Friday night.

The 18 year-old forward has impressed Titans coaching staff in the Toyota Cup this season and Cartwright said he's looking forward to seeing how he performs under the bright lights.

"He's shown potential and he's only very young, but he's shown a will and-a-want to be there and I think we probably need a bit of youthful enthusiasm and

I think he'll give it to us," Cartwright said of James.

"He's a very aggressive young fella and he's enthusiastic. The challenge especially for him in the forwards, is to take what he's done in the lower age or division and bring it to first-grade."

Adding to the theme of new faces, Gold Coast stalwart Luke O'Dwyer will also make his long-awaited return from a major knee re-construction, along with big enforcer Bodene Thompson.

Source: http://sportal.com.au/

DIEHARD
10-06-10, 05:02 PM
Titans v Sea Eagles
Skilled Park Friday 7.35pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/titansvsmanly.jpg

The second half of the NRL regular season kicks off with a very intriguing and important clash between two top-eight sides.

The Titans have now slumped to three consecutive losses, a run that has seen them go from second place on the NRL ladder to sixth, while the Sea Eagles are also entering the encounter off the back of a loss, although they remain in fourth spot.

Both sides are 7-5 but Manly has a superior differential, giving them the edge at the halfway point.

It is only this differential that would likely keep the Sea Eagles in the top eight if they were to lose this clash, but one thing is certain: they won?t be top-four if they go down.

The Titans don?t have the same luxury, considering their differential is in the negative; it is a distinct possibility they could end the weekend outside of the finals zone if they don?t find a way to return to the winner?s circle.

Origin and injuries are affecting both sides, with the changes from last week reading this way: Titans centres Clinton Toopi and Joseph Tomane are out, with Mat Rogers and Sam Tagataese coming in. Ashley Harrison is away on Queensland duty, which sees Bodene Thompson in to start at lock. Will Matthews is off the bench leaving Ryan James, Luke O?Dwyer and William Zillman as the new faces.

For Manly, Anthony Watmough is out (for a month) with Chris Bailey coming into the second row and although Jason King wasn?t named, his omission from the final Blues? 17 should see him suit up at prop, with Brent Kite heading back to the bench.

The side has extras named in the reserves list, with Des Hasler to choose one of Joe Galuvao, Vic Mauro or Jamie Buhrer to join the team.

Watch out Titans: The Sea Eagles are no Penrith when it comes to scoring tries from kicks, but they are the next best side with 14 tries in 12 games coming from the boot. Considering the Titans have conceded 11 from the kick, this could be a significant factor in this game.

Kieran Foran has five try assists from kicks this season while Trent Hodkinson has four, so both halves need to be pressured when it comes to attacking kicks or the results could be bad for the home side.

The Titans? biggest weakness is cross-field kicks, where they are only successfully defusing 44 per cent of the attempts punted their way.

Watch out Sea Eagles: The Titans might be in a mini-slump but two specific stats where they are leading the NRL should pose a huge red flag to the Sea Eagles? coaching staff. If the Gold Coast boys hit their straps and continue to lead the way in both play-the-ball speed and also starting position for sets of six, they could turn out to be one of the competition?s elite sides once more.

With a ?fast? play-the-ball rating on 18.5 per cent of occasions, the Titans are top dogs in the NRL ? and when you are fast in the ruck, you can generally catch teams off guard to either draw penalties or make breaks.

The Titans have also started their sets of six inside their opponents half more often than any other side this year (145 times) and with this kind of field position, points are much easier to find.

Where it will be won: Defence is the key in this one.

The Titans have slipped dreadfully in the past six weeks, conceding more than 20 points every game to take their season average up to 22.9 points conceded each week.

The Sea Eagles have been much more solid at an average of 17.4 conceded, but with several stars out they will be tested more than they have been so far this season.

Both packs need to get physical with the other and win the ruck. The news about the Titans? play-the-ball speed gives them an edge here ? but only if they can continue playing like the second half against Canberra last weekend, not the first half.

If the Sea Eagles fire up and work hard they could slow down the Titans? forwards, but they need to be wary of penalties. Both teams have given up way too many penalties this season and are amongst the NRL?s most ill-disciplined sides.

The history: Played 6; Titans 2, Sea Eagles 4. The Gold Coast snuck home in Round 7 earlier this season at Brookvale Oval to post just their second win over Manly, making it two of the past three. The sides have split the two previous games held at Skilled Park, although the Sea Eagles controversially lost by just one point in 2009 thanks to a late penalty goal.

Another close Manly win would give them five consecutive away wins by single figures for the first time since 1987.

Conclusion: This is a tough match to tip. The Titans were much better in the second half against Canberra but essentially they are in a slump and the Sea Eagles are missing some key individuals through injury.

Scott Prince really should be able to guide his team to victory here ? but it?s probably not wise to pull out your life savings to invest on this, as the loss of a few players of their own make them vulnerable.

The Sea Eagles are a side that can get gritty and find a win? plus the likes of King and dumped Origin prop Josh Perry will be out to impress. Go with your gut and enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

Match officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger & Ben Cummins; Sideline Officials ? Jeff Younis & Chris James; Video Ref ? Sean Hampstead.

Televised: Live ? Channel Nine ? 7.30pm

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Mushi
10-06-10, 08:56 PM
Looking forward to this game! I am confident that this is the turning point of our downhill slide of recent and we are going to kick some sea eagle butt! Unfortunately I am bringing along a manly fan - who I'm sure will be wishing he wasn't there by the end :) Nothing better than a nice quiet manly supporter!! - ok except maybe a quiet broncos one.

DIEHARD
10-06-10, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately I am bringing along a manly fan - who I'm sure will be wishing he wasn't there by the end :) Nothing better than a nice quiet manly supporter!! - ok except maybe a quiet broncos one.

It's up to the Titans to keep the Manly fans quiet. They need to come out switched on.

We don't want the MANY Manly fans in the stands making noise.

We desperately want to send them home disappointed.

titansrawesome
10-06-10, 09:59 PM
It's up to the Titans to keep the Manly fans quiet. They need to come out switched on.

We don't want the MANY Manly fans in the stands making noise.

We desperately want to send them home disappointed.

titans are very heavy favourites on sportsbet.com.au in this one. $1.44 titans $2.88 sea eagles

DIEHARD
10-06-10, 11:00 PM
Rookie Titans Ryan James, Bodene Thompson step up for Manly clash

THE Gold Coast Titans will turn to an experienced hand and two rookie firebrands to blast them out of a month-long losing streak against Manly at Skilled Park on Friday night.

Mat Rogers will play his first match in two months, but it is the inclusion of raw forward Bodene Thompson and 18-year-old debutant Ryan James that has given the club a spring in the step as they seek to stop a mid-season slump.

James, a 106kg, 192cm excitement machine, is the club's youngest first gamer since halfback Jordan Rankin played against Newcastle as a 16-year-old two years ago.

Eager not to let the hype affect their young star, the Titans placed the former Australian Schoolboys representative under a media ban this week.

But there were plenty of others willing to talk up the under-20s captain, who grew up playing in the Gold Coast hinterland for Bilambil Jets and adds an X-factor to the Titans' forward pack.

Coach John Cartwright said he was an exciting prospect.

"He is only very young but he is a very aggressive young fella," he said.

"We probably need a little bit of youthful enthusiasm."

Former Origin centre Chris Close, who works for the Titans in a player development role, is another fan of James and expects Friday night to be the beginning of a long first grade career.

"He's a footballer," Close said.

"He's a big, young, strong kid. He's got a great attitude, tremendous leadership skills, and he's a giant of a kid.

"He's fought his way back from a serious knee injury, and he's only three games back and here he is on the bench in first grade, so he's certainly caught the attention of Johnny Cartwright that's for sure."

Aggression is also a hallmark of Thompson, whose season has so far been punctuated with suspensions at both NRL and Queensland Cup level.

Rogers, off contract at the year's end, is out to prove he still has plenty to offer as he returns from a knee injury.

He said he hoped to remain on the tourist strip next year, despite talk linking him with everyone from Cronulla to the Queensland Reds.

With consecutive losses to the Broncos, Roosters and Canberra, the Titans have slipped to sixth and Cartwright conceded the players had their backs to the wall against a Manly side sitting fourth on the competition ladder.

"You can use whatever phrase you like," he said.

"The fact is we're not winning and we need to turn it around."

But with Manly coming off a disappointing last-start loss to Brisbane and turning up at Skilled minus linchpins Jamie Lyon and Anthony Watmough, there is a feeling the Sea Eagles are ripe for the picking.

Titans utility Luke O'Dwyer will also play his first match of the season, and his first as a father after the birth of his son Jax on Thursday.

The healthy baby will take the middle name of Ryan as a tribute to O'Dwyer's brother, who died from leukaemia in 1998.

Preston Campbell sat out most of Thursday's session with a bruised heel but is considered a certain starter.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
11-06-10, 01:58 AM
Reservations then reassurance: Rogers ready to return for Titans

GOLD COAST centre Mat Rogers received a final clearance to make his comeback from a two-month injury lay-off in tonight's match against Manly after completing yesterday's training session without incident.

Rogers hasn't featured for the Titans since injuring his medial ligament against St George Illawarra in round six, but a quicker than expected rehabilitation has the dual-international raring to help the team back into the winner's circle after successive losses to Sydney Roosters and Canberra.

''I've done some pretty solid work on the knee over the last couple of weeks and a few days ago I had some reservations … but I was reassured by the medical staff and [Titans conditioner] Ronnie Palmer, who put me through all the work, and we've come up good,'' Rogers said.

Teenage forward Ryan James will make his NRL debut for the Titans from the interchange bench after impressing the coaching staff in the under-20s. Manly travelled to Gold Coast yesterday boosted by the inclusion of captain Jason King after the NSW Origin squad was trimmed from 21 players to 17. However, the Sea Eagles will be without injured stars Jamie Lyon and Anthony Watmough, who is out for up to six weeks with a groin injury.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/reservations-then-reassurance-rogers-ready-to-return-for-titans-20100610-y0l7.html

DIEHARD
11-06-10, 02:00 AM
Rogers keen to make impact against Manly

Gold Coast centre Mat Rogers has put Manly on notice as he plans to make an instant impact in his NRL return from injury at Skilled Park a month ahead of schedule.

The dual international put in a solid training session on Thursday, his first with the Titans since he ruptured his medial ligament eight weeks ago, and showed no signs of distress after the workout.

"No trouble at all, not even a thought about the knee at the minute, I'm just excited to get back on the field," said Rogers.

"It was a good hit out with the ball work session and exciting to be out there with the team and not running around on my own.

"Just a few days ago I had reservations (about the knee) but I was definitely reassured by the medical staff and I've come up good."

Rogers, who laughed off rumours linking him to Super 14 franchise Queensland, admitted it had been tough watching from the sidelines as the Titans lost their last three games.

But he hopes to help turn that worrying losing streak around against the Sea Eagles.

"I'd like to think I'm going to play well," he said.

"Whether it's just tightening up an edge in defence or whether it's scoring tries ... if the ball comes my way and I get the opportunity I'll relish that."

Rogers said he wanted to stay with the club beyond this season, though he acknowledged salary cap restraints may make it difficult for the Titans to do so.

But he laughed off reports linking his name to the Reds.

"It's been interesting, someone sent me a message on Twitter about that, so that's all I know about that at this stage," he said.

"And someone sent me another message this morning saying there were a few unkind words said about that, so I'm not overly concerned about anything other than playing well and playing well for the Titans.

"I'd love to stay here ... this is my fourth year here and I can feel something pretty special brewing around the place and it'd be nice to hang around but the unfortunate thing about rugby league is salary cap issues.

"We've got some fantastic young players who need to be paid, otherwise we'll lose them to another club or another code."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
11-06-10, 02:03 AM
Eagles soar, then go splat

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/06/10/1225878/151168-manly-stats.jpg

THESE are the damning statistics that show how Manly go from being the competition's best to the worst in just 80 minutes.

The Daily Telegraph can today reveal that Manly are the best team in the NRL over the opening 20 minutes of each game in 2010.

The Sea Eagles have led nine of their 12 games after 20 minutes - scoring 96 points and conceding just 32.

On a hypothetical competition table, Manly would be placed first.

However that intensity seems to dry up for the Sea Eagles, who collapse badly over the last 20 minutes of every game - as the stats reveal.

Between the 61st and 80th minutes, Manly are ranked 16th and last.

Over those final 20 minutes, the Sea Eagles have conceded 107 points and scored only 22 - fewer than two points each game.

It is a remarkable mid-match turnaround for a team that won the 2008 premiership and were runners-up in 2007.

However Manly chief executive Graham Lowe was anything but worried about his side's second-half woes, saying yesterday: "It is just statistical gobbledygook.

"You don't win Melbourne Cups in June and neither an NRL premiership. We aren't concerned by those stats.

"Des Hasler [coach] is one of the game's most respected coaches. He, more than most, knows how to get the best out of his side.

"He has proven that over a long period of time."

Souths are the second-best side in the opening 20 minutes and Canberra are the second-worst in the final 20 minutes, ahead of only the Sea Eagles.

The Rabbitohs are also ranked first over the final 20 minutes with a points differential of 52 points.

Gold Coast and St George Illawarra are next.

North Queensland and the Sydney Roosters are the worst two sides statistically over the opening 20 minutes of games.

Meanwhile Manly prop Josh Perry is expected to sign with English Super League club St Helens this weekend.

The Daily Telegraph revealed Perry would leave Manly five weeks ago.

Perry will now see out his career in Lancashire.

"The deal is very close," Perry's manager Mike Newton said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

DIEHARD
11-06-10, 03:36 AM
Friend a real foe for Ballin

THERE are no friends on the field and Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin knows that will definitely be the case when he locks horns with his Gold Coast opposite Nathan Friend.

Ballin beat Friend to achieve his dream of filling in for Queensland hooker Cameron Smith in the first State of Origin game when the Storm star was injured.

He knows Friend will be keen to prove tonight when the teams meet at Skilled Park that he could have done the job for the Maroons.

"That's a given," said Ballin, when asked if he expected Friend to lift for what's basically a battle to be the hooking understudy for Queensland.

"He was probably pretty disappointed at not getting picked.

"I think it was pretty close between him and Aaron Payne and myself.

"So when you're playing one another it always brings out the best in you and he's always a very solid player for them."

But having tasted Origin Ballin's not about to let anyone get the jump on him as first choice if the Maroons need a back-up.

"That one game of Origin was such a great experience and I loved it," said Ballin, not that that's enough even though as a proud Queenslander he'll still be a happy man even if he never gets back there again.

"I've played for Queensland and won a game, but I definitely want to get back there and I'll be working hard to do it."

The Sea Eagles will have the job ahead of them tonight with the Gold Coast coming off a loss away to Canberra.

Manly have their own woes after being beaten at home by the Broncos on Sunday as well.

"They (Titans) were probably down a bit last week which isn't good for us," said Ballin.

"They're at home where they have a great record and they have Scott Prince leading them around the park."

Making matters worse for the Eagles is that they are without some of their big guns.

Centre and co-captain Jamie Lyon would normally be in State of Origin with the Blues as would explosive backrower Anthony Watmough.

Unfortunately they're both injured while Kiwi Test centre Steve Matai is suspended.

It means regular starts in the top grade for rookies Dean Whare and Will Hopoate.

"It's unfortunate they're out and disappointing but we just have to adapt," said Ballin.

"Dean Whare defended well against Israel Folau last week.

"These guys are young but they are very exciting and they bring a lot of enthusiasm to the side."

And Team Ballin will be bringing their own level of enthusiasm to Skilled Park tonight to ensure the Eagles don't land without support.

"All the family's coming down from Kingaroy and the wife's family from Brisbane," he said.

"Mum and dad and the in-laws and the uncles and aunties so we should have a fair crew so it'll be good."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

karnage
11-06-10, 05:27 PM
Just cracked my first beer in readiness for the walk in and might make it my last - it is frickin' freezing!! If you are reading this before you head in, take a couple of jumpers!!

patskE
11-06-10, 08:39 PM
good to have rogers back, just brings alot in defense, knows how to tackle williams, n he put pressure on him that lead to the 1st try
also, gordon found his feet again ;)

laffanci is sooooo hot n cold, reason y they scored their try, but shouldnt of been due to drop ball they miss'd, hows footy but.

tell u wat, taga and thompson have impressed me alot

also someone tell carty, get someone to boot it off the scrum for gordon/mead to chase, try every time!!!!!!!

titansrawesome
11-06-10, 09:36 PM
best game of the season for the titans IMO, manly must hate gordan by now 6 tries in 4 games against the sea eagles, i was saying last week that the good teams still win even with horrible referee decisions and well this game was a fine example, i think ben cummins is an awful ref but gavin badger is easily the best,if i had to nitpick the titans performance tonight i would have to say simple drop balls were pretty frequent and laffaranchi has had a form dip, but great performance. also their is now flair in the titans attack again with short kicks, spreading the ball and building enterprising plays up and the defense was also 9/10 for me.

titansrawesome
11-06-10, 09:38 PM
also keep this team except someone has to make one omission for harrison, and taga and rogers were outstanding new combo in the centres.

Chaos
11-06-10, 09:39 PM
How good and tuff is Ryan James...breath of fresh air!
Thomson also showed promise

Patske right about Rogers...he just reads the game well...Gordon feels comfortable again outside him and was my MOM

Meyers was quiet
Mini still holding ball with wrist and not hand.
Taga shouldn't defend out wide

Good win against some strange ref calls

titansrawesome
11-06-10, 09:52 PM
How good and tuff is Ryan James...breath of fresh air!
Thomson also showed promise

Patske right about Rogers...he just reads the game well...Gordon feels comfortable again outside him and was my MOM

Meyers was quiet
Mini still holding ball with wrist and not hand.
Taga shouldn't defend out wide

Good win against some strange ref calls

i cant see how that last try should have been awarded as 8 points, and how was that drop from scott prince a knock on that would have been a try to ben farrar's knock on which was play on for a try?

patskE
11-06-10, 09:53 PM
Meyers looked so slow 2night...
thompson impressed me, with his footwork, and he had a few good offloads

yeh, good to see he didnt back down from perry, he will be a great player in a year i rkn.

bloody ref's kept manly in the game so bad. nfi how they missed all those calls

esp that prince "knock on" where mini scored... that went at least a metre back

owdyer didnt do much, but did nothing wrong, just needs to find his feet again.

titansrawesome
11-06-10, 09:56 PM
Meyers looked so slow 2night...
yeh, good to see he didnt back down from perry, he will be a great player in a year i rkn.

meyers would be my omission for next weeks game even though he wasnt terrible but yeah.......
and i hate that grub josh perry, im glad he was stood up by james i wish perry got a broken nose,but then there would be suspension.........

titansrawesome
11-06-10, 10:00 PM
unfortunately for toopi and tomane they probably wont be needed that much again this season the centre queue gets bigger when tonga returns and im really liking ryan tongia from the u20's(4 tries against manly tonight), but tomane was a bit flawed though anyways.

eelectrica
11-06-10, 10:54 PM
Good win in the end against a weakened Manly side, but after 3 losses on the trot it's good to get that winning feeling back.
We now have a great chance to string at least a 3 game winning streak together with the Dogs this coming Friday at Suncorp then back to skilled to face the Knights. It's a real chance for the Titans to cement their spot in the 8.

matti
11-06-10, 10:58 PM
Meyers, was so slow liek everyone said every knock on manly did he just looked at the ball instead of making meters... Did not like the refs with that knock on from farrah, Was so clear!!!

Coaster
11-06-10, 11:04 PM
myers deserves 1 bad game, since he has nearly been our best for 14 weeks.

if that is the worst game he plays all year, he will win players player by a landslide.

Boonarga
12-06-10, 01:22 AM
Meyers was funny. A couple of times he gathered the loose ball only to stand there and wonder what to do. RUN big red, RUN.

Great debut by James.

patskE
12-06-10, 02:04 AM
ahha i fink james will miss out next week. they prob just wanted to blood him out a bit
iam sure we will see him soon again but

Mushi
12-06-10, 08:13 AM
Great to see us back with some solid defence and some awesome tries. I watched the replay after getting home from the game and gee we got some tough calls against us. 8 point try???? hmmm and that was def a try to Mini towards the end. The crowd was awesome and as always the legion oustanding to be amongst - thanks guys!!!!! But most of all - the titans are back and can only get better from here!

bigjim
12-06-10, 11:27 AM
The margin should have been a least another 12 points. One disallowed to us and that knock on that was obvious to all except the ref.
Good to see some spirited defence back. Hope it hangs around for the rest of season.
Go Titans!!!

matti
12-06-10, 11:48 AM
james was great, exp with the the scrum with perry, his stare down!! very disaplined!

Chaos
12-06-10, 12:18 PM
ahha i fink james will miss out next week. they prob just wanted to blood him out a bit
iam sure we will see him soon again but

I don't know how James would miss out after that performance...he is exactly what the side needs.
Attitudes like his are contagious and rub off on players around him...I'd like to play beside him.

Supergoose
12-06-10, 01:22 PM
The squeeze is on for spots which is great. I think taga is worth persisting with, I just think it will take a couple of weeks for mead to build his combination with him. I wouldn't mind seeing tomane come back on that wing with mead shifted to the bench. The options with mead odd the bench and taga in the centres are plentiful with the bird/Campbell shuffle and mead going to fullback or taga moving to the bench with mead in the centres. I still think tomane is better suited to the wing at this stage as his defensive reads aren't quite good enough to play centre (are taga's better? I think he showed a bit tonight to suggest yes). Headaches for carty, but nice ones. We had the game face on to put 40 past the sea-eagles but between the refs and some last passes just missing the mark the 14 point margin will have to do.

Chaos
12-06-10, 06:17 PM
The squeeze is on for spots which is great. I think taga is worth persisting with, I just think it will take a couple of weeks for mead to build his combination with him. I wouldn't mind seeing tomane come back on that wing with mead shifted to the bench. The options with mead odd the bench and taga in the centres are plentiful with the bird/Campbell shuffle and mead going to fullback or taga moving to the bench with mead in the centres. I still think tomane is better suited to the wing at this stage as his defensive reads aren't quite good enough to play centre (are taga's better? I think he showed a bit tonight to suggest yes). Headaches for carty, but nice ones. We had the game face on to put 40 past the sea-eagles but between the refs and some last passes just missing the mark the 14 point margin will have to do.

I don't mind a centre coming in now and then because he reads the play and put a hit on...but if your defending one in and your reflex is to come in on every play, your not suited to the centre position.

Taga might have some pace and coaches see this as a opportunity for a centre but as a forward, pace can also be affective against slower forwards.

You can't win a Grand final with a stand out weakness.

kwigibo
12-06-10, 06:37 PM
The squeeze is on for spots which is great.

A lot of guys played well for Tweed this afternoon, they put 40 on Norths. Ridge, Matthews, Berdie, Walker sort of (he's always a bit like that), Kingi, Peyroux, Wood. Cameron White wouldn't look out of place in an NRL side even if there's no room for him here barring injuries.

Supergoose
12-06-10, 08:24 PM
Seemed Matthews picked up a shoulder injury late when scoring a try. Hope it's nothing too serious. Ridge seemed to me to play better than Matthews. Berdie was good. I'm still wondering when esi is going to be back for the jets. I can't help but tHink he is in our best side. I still think tomane to the wing will be good for us, I'm just not sure where that leaves mead and who plays in the centre there.

karnage
12-06-10, 09:01 PM
Guys I think that if last night, and even the second half against the Raiders proved anything, it is that the balance of the team is significantly better with four forwards on the bench.

We cannot afford to carry an outside back on the bench.

And how you could want to drop either of Mead or Gordon after last night is astonishing in its own right - they were both EXCELLENT. Tomane got his chance in the team through injury and he is going to have to add some polish to his game (particularly defensively) if he wants to be a permanent fixture in the side. Some time in the QCup could be the making of him.

Chaos
12-06-10, 09:19 PM
Guys I think that if last night, and even the second half against the Raiders proved anything, it is that the balance of the team is significantly better with four forwards on the bench.

We cannot afford to carry an outside back on the bench.

And how you could want to drop either of Mead or Gordon after last night is astonishing in its own right - they were both EXCELLENT. Tomane got his chance in the team through injury and he is going to have to add some polish to his game (particularly defensively) if he wants to be a permanent fixture in the side. Some time in the QCup could be the making of him.

Four forwards on the bench does make the coaches interchange decisions easier...backs don't need a planned interchange.

shamus
13-06-10, 09:55 AM
Seemed Matthews picked up a shoulder injury late when scoring a try. Hope it's nothing too serious. Ridge seemed to me to play better than Matthews. Berdie was good. I'm still wondering when esi is going to be back for the jets. I can't help but tHink he is in our best side. I still think tomane to the wing will be good for us, I'm just not sure where that leaves mead and who plays in the centre there.

Yeah, he copped some knees when he reached out and scored....No 8 point try though.. :D