16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
18 Bodene Thompson
20 Will Matthews

Coach: John Cartwright

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 10:31 AM
Injured Raiders back for key game

The Canberra Raiders could be bolstered by the return of up to five regular first-graders for their round 13 clash with the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday.
Now coach David Furner must decide what changes he will make as his team chases back-to-back wins for the first time this year.

Representative forwards Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington are certain selections after putting in solid performances in the State of Origin series opener last Wednesday.

Injured trio Shaun Fensom, Adam Mogg and Josh Miller, are also likely to push for spots in the 17-man squad for the match at Canberra Stadium.

They have all been on the sideline since Canberra's loss to South Sydney on Anzac Day.

But Fensom, who has been hampered by two bulging discs in his back, yesterday declared himself fit to take on the Titans.

''I'm really good now and I should be right to go this weekend,'' Fensom said.

''I've been in rehab the last few weeks but I'm back into full training [today].

''It was just giving really bad nerve pain down both legs to start with so I've just been building my running and agility back up to make sure I was right to go.''

Miller has played just three games this season but he trained strongly last week and the reigning Mal Meninga medallist will rocket into contention should he return to full-contact action today.

The hard part for Furner will be axing the forwards who led the Raiders to victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons two weeks ago.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

Source: Canberra Times

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 10:31 AM
In typical fashion, opposition teams enjoy players returning just in time for us to play them!

DIEHARD
01-06-10, 01:38 PM
Titans name extended squad for Raiders clash
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have today named an extended 19-man squad for Sunday's Round 13 clash against the Canberra Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

Jetstar Titans Head Coach John Cartwright today named centre Joseph Tomane to return from a hamstring injury in place of Josh Graham (sternum) while forwards Bodene Thompson and Will Matthews have been added to an extended six-man bench.

Following a disappointing loss to the Roosters on home turf last night, the Jetstar Titans will hit the road searching for their first win against the Raiders in the nation's capital.

Cartwright said his fourth-placed side didn't need to make major changes ahead of the Raiders clash.

"We've got a few areas we've got to fix up but you get five days so you can't change a lot,'' said Cartwright.

"What we were doing earlier in the year was working for us so we've just got to work our way back to that sort of form and a lot of it is to do with confidence when you lose a couple in a row.''

The Titans' NRL and NYC squads to take on the Raiders are listed below.

Titans v Raiders
Sunday, June 6 - 2pm Canberra Stadium

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
18 Bodene Thompson
20 Will Matthews

Source: Titans

titansrawesome
01-06-10, 01:56 PM
Titans name extended squad for Raiders clash
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have today named an extended 19-man squad for Sunday's Round 13 clash against the Canberra Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

Jetstar Titans Head Coach John Cartwright today named centre Joseph Tomane to return from a hamstring injury in place of Josh Graham (sternum) while forwards Bodene Thompson and Will Matthews have been added to an extended six-man bench.

Following a disappointing loss to the Roosters on home turf last night, the Jetstar Titans will hit the road searching for their first win against the Raiders in the nation's capital.

Cartwright said his fourth-placed side didn't need to make major changes ahead of the Raiders clash.

"We've got a few areas we've got to fix up but you get five days so you can't change a lot,'' said Cartwright.

"What we were doing earlier in the year was working for us so we've just got to work our way back to that sort of form and a lot of it is to do with confidence when you lose a couple in a row.''

The Titans' NRL and NYC squads to take on the Raiders are listed below.

Titans v Raiders
Sunday, June 6 - 2pm Canberra Stadium

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
18 Bodene Thompson
20 Will Matthews

Source: Titans
wheres cannings and o dwyer? bloody hell carty get rid of white and henderson and zilly,meyers and minnichello dont do much anyways.

titanstattman
01-06-10, 02:21 PM
wheres cannings and o dwyer? bloody hell carty get rid of white and henderson and zilly,meyers and minnichello dont do much anyways.

Both are just returning from time off u just cant rush these players back in.. Im sure carty will put them in wen there get 100%

Zilly are u for real he comes on wen presto goes to 5/8 nd bird out to lock... We have been pretty good wen that happends

patskE
01-06-10, 03:42 PM
zilly done nothing wrong
both our 2nd rowers have to many mistakes/penatlys in them tbh, they need to clean it up

Coaster
01-06-10, 04:17 PM
Zilly has done nothing wrong, in fact zilly has done basically nothing. Its time this kid steps up and becomes a man, the coming back from injury is over, he has enough first grade games under his belt, to take control of this team, he needs to get the hell out of his shell and start to play like a fullback should.

titansrawesome
01-06-10, 05:08 PM
Zilly has done nothing wrong, in fact zilly has done basically nothing. Its time this kid steps up and becomes a man, the coming back from injury is over, he has enough first grade games under his belt, to take control of this team, he needs to get the hell out of his shell and start to play like a fullback should.

exactly what i ment

matti
01-06-10, 09:15 PM
i like meyers tbh , his always playing quite well, mini needs to be on the bench.

Chaos
01-06-10, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't be changing to side too much to start winning...what I would do is practice a way to score while attacking to the oppositions line.
We can score long rang tries with our speed but Prince, Bird and Preston want to start gelling together or we wont be there at the end of the year.

I'd spend the next month at training creating their on line attack.

Chaos
01-06-10, 09:21 PM
Mini has heaps of strength...someone needs to tell him to hold the ball with is hands and fingers...not is arms or wrist.

Supergoose
01-06-10, 09:39 PM
I agree that minichiello needs to work on his carry. I think we probably go to him too much as well and put pressure on him by hitting him close to the line. We are missing a big forward to run on the right-hand side of the field. Mini, Harrison, Bird and Tagataese all play left with only Laffranchi over on the right. Not sure if that's chalky or bodene, but I think that would help.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-06-10, 09:45 PM
Just checked the weather forcast, 1-16 degrees, 80% chance of rain, high frost risk, with southerly winds THAT MEANS ITS GOING TO BE BLOODY COLD!!!1

DIEHARD
02-06-10, 12:40 AM
Just checked the weather forcast, 1-16 degrees, 80% chance of rain, high frost risk, with southerly winds THAT MEANS ITS GOING TO BE BLOODY COLD!!!1

Bloody hell... maybe I should reconsider driving down. :frown:

titanstattman
02-06-10, 09:16 AM
Bloody hell... maybe I should reconsider driving down. :frown:

Ur driving down maybe i should think about comming down aswell.......

DIEHARD
02-06-10, 10:41 AM
Individuals must lift, says Sattler

PANTHERS NRL premiership winner Scott Sattler said it was up to certain individuals and not the team to lift their game if the Gold Coast Titans are to reverse their form and bounce back against Canberra on Sunday.

Sattler said the teams' cause fell by the wayside in their loss to the Roosters on Monday night as they failed to find the spark that had been a cornerstone of their performances across the early rounds.

"I found there was a lot of really selfish plays in that Roosters effort and I think individually they need to make a few adjustments and get themselves back on track," said Sattler of the Titans' display in which they missed 28 tackles and completed just 68 per cent in attack.

Sattler said the aggression of a player like young forward Bodene Thompson, who was yesterday included on an extended bench for Sunday's trip to Canberra, could provide the spark the Titans need.

"There seemed to be a lot of independent playing on Monday night and a few players who had their own performances on their mind rather than the team," said Sattler.

"(But) knowing how John Cartwright prepares a team, I have no doubt they are being prepared well but just individually they have to turn the corner and that's something only they can do."

Stressing the demons of Canberra Stadium's graveyard could haunt the Titans if they fail to learn from Monday's capitulation, Sattler believed the Titans would need to sharpen their mental focus in coming weeks after allowing both the Broncos and Roosters to strike late in the first half of their most recent defeats.

The Titans sit a win clear of Souths in fourth spot with seven wins in their opening 11 games.

But they have conceded 118 points over the last four weeks, leaving them with the second worst for and against differential of the teams in the top eight.

With bad memories of Canberra following their 56-10 thumping in 2007 and a 46-4 hiding a year later, Sattler urged the Titans to again find the belief in each other which earned them a finals berth last season.

"Canberra is a real graveyard and it's going to be hard to have a loss, have a break and then another loss and then be required to travel to Canberra, which is one of the hardest places to win at," said Sattler, who first played with the Gold Coast Seagulls in 1992.

"But there is definitely no cause for concerns, as a team they will bounce back."

In a 20-minute period in the opening half against the Roosters, the Titans leaked 18 points after leading 10-0.

"It's that 25 to 35-minute mark where it looks as though they are starting to fall away from the plan defensively and in the second half it's the 60-70 minute mark," he said.

"They are fit enough because the conditioner is one of the best in the business but psychologically, those crucial periods where the tiny things are so important, they are not fulfilling those and teams are getting a roll on.

"But the players have played a lot of cut-throat football and they know how to get themselves out of this situation and they have a coach who believes in his players.

"I have no doubt they will get back on the horse really quickly."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
02-06-10, 10:50 AM
Campbell vows to sink boot next time

IF it happens again, Gold Coast Titans fullback Preston Campbell will boot it out of the ground.

Campbell's momentary lapse against the Roosters in the first half of Monday night's disappointing loss at Skilled Park, where he tried to shadow a ball over the sideline only for Frank-Paul Nuuausala to pounce and score, was a moment that summed up the match.

Promising it was an error he would not make again, Campbell said the big challenge for the Titans was shaking off the effects of their second straight loss before they arrive in the nation's capital on Sunday.

While Joseph Tomane has been named for a return from a hamstring injury at the expense of Josh Graham, John Cartwright has largely stuck by his troops ahead of their clash with the Raiders, while adding Will Matthews and Bodene Thompson.

"I should have just kicked it out, I thought they had knocked it on and we would would get the call but it didn't happen that way," said Campbell.

"I should have either dived on it or kicked it out.

"But that was the thing we missed, the intensity. But you learn from that and we won't be letting things like that happen again."

With a tough five-day turnaround for the Titans before they are back on the field in Canberra, skipper Scott Prince and coach John Cartwright both agreed yesterday a huge challenge had presented itself for the players.

"We have got a few areas we've got to fix up but we've got five days, so we can't change a lot," said Cartwright yesterday.

Prince said victory could spark their resurrection after their form had taken a hit in recent weeks.

DIEHARD
02-06-10, 09:41 PM
Raiders welcome back stars

Canberra Raiders Coach David Furner has a selection headache this week, with five NRL regulars set to return from Origin duty and injury for the match against the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday afternoon at Canberra Stadium.

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington have been named in the starting side for the match after excellent performances for their states in game one, while Josh Miller and Adam Mogg have been named on an extended bench for the Titans match.

Raiders lock Shaun Fensom is also expected to be available this weekend after recovering from a back injury, but hasn?t been named in the 19 man NRL squad.

Furner said it?s great to finally have some players back on deck, but admits there are some tough decisions to be made regarding who gets a run in the final 17 on Sunday.

?We?ve had out fair share of injuries this year so it?s nice to start getting some players back into full training and available for selection,? Furner said.

?Having said that the guys who?ve been filling in have done a great job, particularly against St George-Illawarra before the bye.?

Furner said both Travis Waddell and Troy Thompson have some minor injury concerns heading into the match and will be reassessed later in the week before the final makeup of the side was finalised.

Canberra Raiders: 1 Josh Dugan, 2 Joel Monaghan, 3 Jarrod Croker, 4 Joel Thompson, 5 Daniel Vidot, 6 Terry Campese (captain), 7 Josh McCrone; 8 Dane Tilse, 9 Glen Buttriss, 10 David Shillington, 11 Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, 12 Bronson Harrison, 13 Trevor Thurling. Interchange: 14 Travis Waddell, 15 Joe Picker, 16 Troy Thompson, 17 Scott Logan, 18 Adam Mogg.

NRL Season 2010 - Round 13:

Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans
Canberra Stadium, Canberra
Sunday afternoon, June 6
Kick off: 2:00pm (AEST).

http://www.sportsaustralia.com

curly_11
03-06-10, 06:44 AM
Dugan impresses
Luke Turgeon | June 3rd, 2010

HE is closing in on 250 NRL games, and has won a premiership and a Dally M medal, but decorated Gold Coast Titans veteran Preston Campbell has revealed he might be the one hunting an autograph when he lines up opposite rookie Raiders fullback Josh Dugan this Sunday.

Campbell yesterday admitted to being a huge fan of the explosive 20-year-old, who has taken the competition by storm since making his first grade debut last season.

"I am a bit of a fan of his," said Campbell, who turns 33 on Monday. "I enjoy playing against him and I also enjoy watching him.

"He is a confident player.

"The best way to put it is he is young and enjoying football and that lets him do some freakish things, but, hopefully, we won't be seeing him too much this week."

Dugan, who was just seven-years-old when Campbell made his first grade debut for the Gold Coast Chargers back in 1998, is leading the NRL in tackle breaks this season with 76.

He also averages the most metres per match (160.4m) behind only Eels superstar Jarryd Hayne (166.1m) and Sharks enforcer Paul Gallen (165.1m).

After poor defence caused the Gold Coast to blow a 10-0 lead in their 30-16 loss to the Roosters on Monday, Campbell warned the Titans could not afford another 'sleepy' effort in Canberra.

"Dugan is a player who can score a try from anywhere, so if we do turn up sleepy he is bound to cause some havoc out there," he said.

"Our track record down that way hasn't been real good the last few years.

"We are looking to put in a better performance than last week.

"A lot of it came down to our mindset and attitude and how we turned up on the day. We are looking forward to making up for our woeful effort last week."

Titans and NSW City coach John Cartwright had a front row seat as Dugan picked up man of the match honours for spearheading NSW Country to a 36-18 in Port Macquarie last month.

"We have just got to make it hard for him," he said.

Titans prop Bodene Thompson, who was named on an extended bench, has been ruled out after being slapped with a one-game ban for his involvement in a fight while playing for Burleigh in the Queensland Cup at the weekend.

www.goldcoast.com.au

curly_11
03-06-10, 06:44 AM
Well there goes my hopes. Looks like thompson wont be playing this week or for a while after that probably....:nope:

Jaye001
03-06-10, 06:49 AM
We are missing a big forward to run on the right-hand side of the field. Mini, Harrison, Bird and Tagataese all play left with only Laffranchi over on the right. Not sure if that's chalky or bodene, but I think that would help.

Well you can cross Bodene off the list again this week. Has been suspended for one match after last weeks Qcup game. :fight:

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 12:16 PM
Raiders look to freeze off hot and cold Titans

After a brief look at the ladder, 4th against 11th, this week’s clash between the Gold Coast Titans and Canberra Raiders should be a no brainer. The ladder is so close that in a fortnight’s time, each team could be even on points.

If we look into the short history of the NRL’s most recent addition, the Titans have not had a good run in the capital. Let’s just take a look at the three visits the Titans have made to Bruce:

2007- Canberra 56-10
2008- Canberra 46-4
2009- Canberra 34-28

However, you could say the Gold Coast squad are getting better, with the margin getting smaller each time. These statistics must be worrying for John Cartwright. It seems that the Titans are one team that just cannot handle the cold.

The Raiders should be well rested after two byes in quick succession, with their last hit out a win against the ladder leading Dragons. Both sides had depleted stocks, but the Dragons seemed completely incapable of getting a game over the green machine.

Scott Prince is sure to be the key for the Titans success.

His attack kept the Titans in their match against the Roosters, although they eventually lost. William Zillman was the next big thing in Canberra a couple of years back. In his time at the Gold Coast, he hasn’t made a huge impact. Coming back to Canberra may see him try and prove his worth to the Titans, who have stuck by him.

The game is likely to be decided in the backline, with danger men at both ends of the field. Watch out for the likes of Mead and Gordon on either flank up against players Dugan and Monaghan in green.

The Raiders have had limited opportunities at home this year: as we enter round thirteen, it’s only the fifth game at Bruce.

There have been some notable fades in the second half this year. David Furner looks to have picked a squad that will last the full 80 minutes. A win here will put the Raiders in good spirits to take on the Cowboys without their Origin stars.

Neither team has won an away game yet. I don’t expect this to change in this round.

Source: http://www.theroar.com.au

TITAN PETE
03-06-10, 12:20 PM

Neither team has won an away game yet. I don?t expect this to change in this round.

What is he Smoking :rolleyes:

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 12:28 PM
What is he Smoking :rolleyes:

Yea it's an article from TheRoar which is often reader submitted, so some of the opinions are ridiculous and the facts just plain wrong. Who could forget our wins in Brooky, Newie and against Souths. That's three.

I probably just shouldn't post them at all.

Hopefully we can add Canberra to that... :fight:

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 01:10 PM
Sunday: Isolated showers in the south. Fine remainder. South to southeast winds

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 02:06 PM
Laurie Daley's preview.

Canberra v Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Stadium, Sunday, 2pm (EST)

The Titans will be primed for a big match coming off the disappointment of last week?s loss to the Roosters. The Raiders are a top-four team in my eyes and I hate tipping against them at home. Unfortunately, that?s the way I?m going. The Titans have too many quality players in their ranks to put together back-to-back poor performances. The Raiders need to play for 80 minutes; if they don?t the Titans have too much class and too many points in them. My fear for the Raiders is that the Titans were that bad last Monday night that they will be out to make a statement in Canberra. Titans to win on the road.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 02:19 PM
Raiders v Titans
Sunday 2pm - Canberra Stadium

The ?resting? part of the year is over for Canberra ? now the hard work really begins as they launch a bid to move up the NRL ladder against a spluttering Gold Coast outfit.

With both of their byes exhausted and a recent win against the Dragons, the Raiders have been boosted up to 11th on the table. But they will need to do much more if they are to compete in the finals in 2010.

Four wins coming into the halfway point of the year just isn?t enough and with just one win coming at home, the side owes the fans big time.

Luckily for them, they are about to meet a Gold Coast side that despite currently running fourth, is in a bit of a rut.

With their differential struggling a little at -61 the Raiders need some good wins to get back on track. A victory here could catapult them as high as seventh spot, a great place to be at the halfway point.

On the other hand a loss could see them slide a spot back to 12th, a much more difficult place to forge ahead from.

The side welcomes Origin duo David Shillington and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs back to the side with Scott Logan and Joe Picker moving to the bench. Danny Galea and Sam Mataora are out, with David Furner adding two extra reserves at this stage in Adam Mogg and Josh Miller.

The Gold Coast comes into this match with back-to-back losses to Brisbane and the Roosters, two games they were expected to win. They also barely scraped by Newcastle in the weekend before the losing run.

It has seen them drop to fourth on the ladder and another loss could see them slide even further to seventh, undoing some of the great work they did early in the year.

A win could potentially see them head back up into second place, although a -14 differential is not becoming of a top-four side.

Changes in the side from the shock loss to the Roosters are minimal, with Joseph Tomane named to return from injury at Josh Graham?s expense and Bodene Thompson and Will Matthews added to a six-man bench.

Watch out Raiders: He is a bit of a long shot to make it, but Anthony Laffranchi wants a big game to put himself in the frame for the Blues.

Currently averaging 99 metres gained a match, the former Wests Tiger knows it will take a high triple-figure performance to open eyes. However, he adds more than a high output of metres with six line-breaks, a line-break assist, a try assist and four tries so far this season.

Look for Laffranchi to run a ?crash? line close to the stripe; if he finds a hole, he will make it five tries in 2010.

Watch out Titans: The Raiders have close to the same amount of line-breaks as the Titans despite playing one less game, but it is the ?half-break? statistics that could have the Gold Coast?s coaching staff a little worried.

With 28 half-breaks so far this season the Raiders are behind only the Bulldogs. This illustrates the Raiders aren?t far off creating more chances as they are already proving to be just a fraction off here and there.

When they get this sorted they become a much more dangerous proposition.

Where it will be won: Right-side attack. Both sides show a tendency to attack to the right more often than not and this is reflected in the places they score their tries.

Canberra have scored 16 tries on the right side of the field compared to just six on the left side while the Titans have 20 tries heading right compared to 10 on the left.

With all the attack heading right, the left-side defenders need to be switched on. The Raiders have conceded 15 tries to opposition teams who hit the right side against their left-side defenders while the Titans have leaked 16 tries.

Interestingly, both sides have worse numbers scored against them on the opposite sides of the field, so we should still see some ball movement swinging to the left.

The history: Played 7; Raiders 3, Titans 4. The history for these two sides runs with the home side. The Titans are 4-0 at home versus the Raiders and more importantly for this clash the Raiders are 3-0 versus the Titans at home.

Last year the Titans only fell by six in the corresponding clash, much better than the 46- and 42-point losses before that.

Look further and you?ll discover five of the seven games have been decided by 20 points or more, so perhaps a big scoreline is on the cards.

Conclusion: In the past you figured the Raiders would win, as it was a home game in winter. But the record in Canberra hasn?t been as good this year. The Titans are a better side on paper but are in pretty average form right now, making this a real toss up.

Tough to make a definitive call so go with your gut or get out the tarot cards?

Match officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger & Phil Haines; Sideline Officials ? David Abood & Adam Gee; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 2pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 11:54 AM
Latest weather....

Sunday: Isolated showers in the south. Fine remainder. South to southeast winds

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 11:59 AM
Canberra v Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Stadium, Sunday 2pm (EST)

The Adjudicator says: "Remember how bad the Titans were last week on the Gold Coast? I do, and that?s why I can?t pick them in the nation?s capital. Raiders fan David points out that the Titans have conceded 136 points in their last three losing efforts at Canberra Stadium. That just doesn?t make for good reading when you also consider the fact Gold Coast were so bad against the Chooks. The big Canberra pack are well rested after the bye and will be ready to kick the Titans while they?re down. Raiders by eight."

Agree/disagree with The Adjudicator? Tell him, in 100 words or fewer, why your team will win this match. Email The Adjudicator , including your full name and where you're from.

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS

Raiders fan Jay from Sydney says: "We only just beat the Dragons reserve grade team last game with a few lucky decisions going our way and the Titans will be ready to play after losing last night. Hopefully it?s minus 10 deg as normal and the Titans rock up in their boardshorts. Raiders by 8."

Raiders fan David from Canberra says: "For the analysis of this game one only needs to search through the annals for past results. Gold Coast has had a terrible time in the heart of the nation over the past three years. In 2007 they went down 56-10. In 2008 the Green Machine hammered them 46-4. In 2009 the Raiders won 34-28. In just three matches in Canberra the Gold Coast have conceded 136 points, while only scoring 42. History suggests they are in for another drubbing. Raiders by 22."

Raiders fan Adam from Canberra says: "Since the Titans came in, every game between them and the Raiders has ended with a home team win. That continued this year when we got beaten up there. But the Raiders are at home now, and on the performance from the Titans against the Roosters they're in some trouble. Raiders by 10."

Titans fan Shaun from Gold Coast says : "Surely the Titans can?t play as poorly as that two weeks in a row. 35 missed tackles (five of which were from Harrison the one rep player) and 15 opposition offloads. A little piece of me dies when they play like that but the good news for all the Titans fans is that The Adjudicator has turned on them again and is leaning towards the Raiders which means Titans to win by 10."

Jason from Canberra: Traditionally the Raiders should be near unbeatable at home, however this year is an exception. At the moment the Titans are unpredictable and you would not bet your house on them at home or away. The first day of winter is here and it was a chilly morning in Canberra today and I don?t see the Titans liking leaving their glorious sunshine and warmth for a cold winters afternoon. Raiders by 12+.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 12:04 PM
Miller ready to shoulder load

Inspirational Raiders forward Josh Miller is confident his persistent shoulder problems are behind him and has declared his best football is just around the corner.

Miller participated in his first opposed session in more than a month yesterday afternoon, increasing his chances of playing against the Gold Coast Titans at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

Shoulder problems have restricted the reigning Mal Meninga medallist to just three games this season, his most recent against South Sydney in round seven.

Miller said he felt better than he had since first injuring his shoulder in round one.

''I'm ready to go, I want my starting jersey back,'' Miller said. ''I'm ready to get back into it and I just can't wait to start playing footy week in, week out.

''My shoulder is feeling good, it's probably the best it's felt since I first did the injury.

''I'm getting more and more confident with it with every training run. I reckon my best footy is ahead of me this year.''

After being one of just two players to feature in every Raiders game last season, Miller's 2010 campaign was just minutes old before he injured his shoulder for the first time.

He returned five games later only to hurt it again.

It has been a frustrating period for the 27-year-old, who produced the best season of his career last year.

''I hadn't missed any football for the last three years, so it has been frustrating.

''Last year me and Bronson [Harrison] were the only ones who didn't miss a game. So this year has been really frustrating for me. But that's just part of footy these days, you get injuries.''

Miller's determination to play creates a selection headache for coach David Furner, who must cull two players from his extended bench in the coming days.

Should he opt to bring Miller back into his side he is likely to drop either Troy Thompson or Scott Logan.

www.canberratimes.com.au/

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 12:05 PM
Titans tackle testing Canberra conditions

THE Gold Coast Titans have 136 reasons to be worried when they head to Canberra to take on the Raiders on Sunday.

After a woeful defensive display against the Roosters on Monday, the Titans will need a reinforced tackling attitude this week.

In three trips to the nation's capital, the Raiders have piled 136 points on the Gold Coast at an average of 45 per game.

"You can say (it is no different playing in Canberra) but every time you go down there and you run out on the field and your nuts are frozen, you tend to feel like you don't want to be there," said Luke Bailey.

"But every team does it and that is Canberra's advantage.

"They tend to pile on the points because teams aren't prepared but I am pretty sure that won't be the case for us."

The Titans worked hard on fixing their leaky line at training yesterday.

In a physical session overseen by assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister, the Titans were put through a series of wrestling and tackling drills which left Bailey nursing sore ribs, Brad Meyers with a jarred neck and Anthony Laffranchi a whack to the head.

"Our completions are something like 65 per cent, so it doesn't matter how fit you are, you are going to make poor decisions sometimes when you are defending," said Gillmeister.

"We are continually doing more tackles than the opposition especially at half-time, we are doing 40 or 50 more tackles.

"So you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out you are going to get fatigued in the later part of the second half.

"We needed to get back to basics and that is what we have done this week catching, passing and defence.

"It is a very simple game but we complicate it a bit sometimes."

The Titans suffered their biggest loss in history on their first visit to Canberra in 2007, trounced 56-10.

They returned in 2008 only to cop another 46-4 flogging before their strongest showing last season in a narrow 34-28 loss.

Bookmakers have the Raiders as $1.57 favourites to be at the Titans, who are ranked outsiders on $2.40.

The Gold Coast were yesterday boosted by the inclusion of young strike centre Joseph Tomane, who has passed a fitness test on his injured hamstring after being ruled out of the Roosters clash.

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 12:07 PM
Mead on Raider alert

FRESH from his first NRL hat-trick of tries, Gold Coast Titans flyer David Mead is looking forward to his next challenge against the Raiders in Canberra on Sunday.

The 21-year-old former Lismore Marist Brothers junior relishes the big one-on-one match-ups – this weekend he tackles high-flying NSW and Australian representative Joel Monaghan.

Monaghan, who is only three games back from a broken hand, is a noted leaper and is sure to present himself as a target for the pinpoint boot of Terry Campese.

And Mead knows it.

“I am expecting them to try to use Joel’s ability under the high-ball as an advantage – I always do,” Mead said.

“But I have done my preparation and am ready for whatever they throw at me.”

The battle seems a mismatch – 28-year-old Monaghan holds a 7cm, 16kg advantage over his younger rival.

But Mead won’t concede – he has speed to burn.

“He has his advantages and I have mine; that’s the beauty of matching-up in the NRL,” he said.

The Round 13 clash with Canberra sees 2010 acquisition Joseph Tomane return from injury to start inside Mead on the right flank.

Earlier in the year the combination came under fire after being exposed defensively, but they have since rectified the problem.

“Having one bloke inside me consistently is nice,” Mead said.

“We have worked hard on that defensive combination and it is getting better every week.”

The Titans are in a slump. They have lost two in a row for the first time in 2010 and have conceded 140 points in their past five games.

Mead doesn’t have all the answers to what has caused the normally gritty Titans to open up in defence, but he has one.

“Mat Rogers is a huge loss,” he said.

“He is one bloke who is always there when the team needs him. His actions give you something to follow when you are on the field – I know I do.

“When we played Melbourne a few weeks back he turned the game – he got into marker and made four or five tackles in a row and that lifted us all.

“That won us the game and those are the type of efforts we have been missing.”

A noted speedster, Mead shied away from talk of him lining up in the proposed race to be league’s fastest man.

Actually, he hadn’t even got wind of the event.

Team-mate Kevin Gordon has been short-listed as a potential starter – if ‘Flash’ has a case to be there, so does Mead.

“We are pretty much neck-and-neck,” he said.

“One day he will beat me, the next I will beat him, the race would be a bit of fun, yeah.”

But that comes in September – if at all.

For now the race is on for the Titans to get back on track and into the finals where Mead can test himself against the likes of Brett Morris, Lote Tuqiri and Anthony Minichiello.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 12:17 PM
RAIDERS

1. JOSH DUGAN
2. JOEL MONAGHAN
3. JARROD CROKER
4. JOEL THOMPSON
5. DANIEL VIDOT
6. TERRY CAMPESE (C)
7. JOSH McCRONE
8. DANE TILSE
9. GLEN BUTTRISS
10. DAVID SHILLINGTON
11. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
12. BRONSON HARRISON
13. TREVOR THURLING

Interchange
14. TRAVIS WADDELL
15. JOE PICKER
16. TROY THOMPSON
17. SCOTT LOGAN
18. ADAM MOGG
19. JOSH MILLER

COACH: DAVID FURNER

TITANS

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
18 Bodene Thompson
20 Will Matthews

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 01:15 PM
Campese tipped to blaze in blue

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs has backed Raiders teammate Terry Campese to perform for NSW, should he earn a Blues call-up for the second State of Origin clash.
Campese is one of several playmakers being touted as a possible replacement for incumbent five-eighth Jamie Lyon, who is likely to miss the game with an ankle injury.

Gold Coast's Greg Bird and Cronulla's Trent Barrett are also being considered, as is Blues captain Kurt Gidley who could shift to No6 and allow Jarryd Hayne to assume the fullback role.

NSW must win game two in a fortnight or concede a fifth straight series to Queensland a situation Learoyd-Lahrs is desperate to avoid.

And after watching Campese guide the Raiders to a stirring win over ladder-leader St George Illawarra last weekend, Learoyd-Lahrs said his stand-in Canberra captain was ready for another chance at Origin level.

''If he got an opportunity I think Campo would be well and truly up to it given the fact that he's already had a game there, he knows what to expect,'' Learoyd-Lahrs said.

''The fact that he only got the one chance last year might have been a bit harsh so I'm sure his name will be in the mix. He's probably the same as me, his last couple of weeks have been the best couple of games he's played all year.

''Watching the St George game, you've seen what Campo's capable of when he's on his game.''

Campese is hopeful of another influential performance on Sunday, up against Bird's Titans at Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders are chasing back-to-back wins for the first time this year, and are looking to snap a three-match losing streak at home. The club has never lost four straight matches at Canberra Stadium.

Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington have been named in the starting line-up as the only two changes to David Furner's team that upset the Dragons last start.

Josh Miller and Adam Mogg have been named on an extended bench with injury concerns hanging over Troy Thompson and Travis Waddell.

The Canberra Times

karnage
04-06-10, 01:59 PM

Neither team has won an away game yet. I don?t expect this to change in this round.

That's an accurate comment. What the guy means is that in the history of clashes between the two teams, neither have won an away match. We are 4-0 at home and they are 3-0 going into this round.

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 02:38 PM
Ah yes, I see. That is true. It was just poorly worded.

Thanks for setting us straight Karnage. Have to catch up at a game mate, I haven't seen you this season yet.

karnage
04-06-10, 05:04 PM
Yeah sure mate. I've been there as per normal. I will come down the legion and say g'day before the Manly game - hopefully we won't be staring down the barrel of 4 straight losses...

I am right up the top of my footy tipping comp and I am seriously considering tipping the Raiders this week - it would be the first time I have tipped against us all year so I am seriously torn. At the moment I have stuck solid.

I see the game going 1 of 2 ways:
(a) We turn up with our game faces on and we simply win, courtesy of the fact that we are a better team.
(b) We bring the sort of defensive attitude and lack of attacking execution that we have shown in our last 3 matches against the Knights, Broncos and Roosters and we get smashed by 40.

Obviously, I will be banking on (a)!!

titansrawesome
04-06-10, 05:35 PM
Yeah sure mate. I've been there as per normal. I will come down the legion and say g'day before the Manly game - hopefully we won't be staring down the barrel of 4 straight losses...

I am right up the top of my footy tipping comp and I am seriously considering tipping the Raiders this week - it would be the first time I have tipped against us all year so I am seriously torn. At the moment I have stuck solid.

(a) We turn up with our game faces on and we simply win, courtesy of the fact that we are a better team.
(b) We bring the sort of defensive attitude and lack of attacking execution that we have shown in our last 3 matches against the Knights, Broncos and Roosters and we get smashed by 40.

i was gonna tip once this year against us when were at brookie, i kept my titans tip and wha la they won,keep the faith, also i think we are playing better away than home this year.

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 05:41 PM
I really love and appreciate your straight forward analysis Karnage

:clap: Pretty much. We are like Jeckle and Hyde lately.

DIEHARD
05-06-10, 11:33 AM
Titans vow to conquer Fortress Canberra

THE Gold Coast Titans are determined to conquer the final frontier and knock over the last of the big six NRL road trips with their first victory in Canberra against the Raiders tomorrow.

Having already reigned supreme in Melbourne, Townsville, New Zealand, Newcastle and Sydney, the Titans have declared it is time to tick Canberra off the list after nothing but misery in three previous visits.

"It is something we need to conquer and haven't done yet," said Titans prop Luke Bailey.

"It comes at a good time because we have been spiralling down a bit over the past couple of weeks.

"So it would be good to regain some confidence by upsetting them down there."

Two of the Titans' three heaviest defeats have come in Canberra, highlighted by a 56-10 flogging in their inaugural season.

But the Coast experienced a breakout year on the road last season, posting wins away to the Storm and Warriors for the first time, adding to victories in North Queensland and Sydney in previous years.

In Round 9 against the Knights this season, the Titans narrowly emerged with the spoils from the coal city 38-36 as well as smashing a long-standing Brookvale Oval hoodoo against Manly in Round 7.

"We haven't won down there since we came in," said Titans fullback Preston Campbell.

"But we have changed a few things this year and we won down at Brookvale, so we would like to be able to do something like that down in Canberra."

In fact, no Gold Coast side has ever won in Canberra.

The Gold Coast Seagulls went the closest in 1991, going down 20-18 against a mighty green machine boasting the likes of Mal Meninga, Brett Mullins, Ricky Stuart, Brent Todd, Steve Walters, Glenn Lazarus and Jason Croker.

Titans strike centre Joseph Tomane returns after being sidelined last week with a hamstring injury at the expense of Josh Graham in the only change for the Coast.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is still weighing up whether to run with four forwards on the bench against the mammoth Raiders side.

He will decide closer to kick off whether prop Will Matthews or flyer William Zillman gets the last interchange spot.

"We need a bit of confidence back in our defence and there is no better way than to do it down there," said Bailey.

"They have got some big units, probably the biggest pack in the comp.

"At the start of the year (in Round 3 at Skilled Park) we handled them well so we know we can do it.

"So hopefully we can do a job on them. But it is easier said than done down there."

DIEHARD
05-06-10, 12:20 PM
NSW selectors keep an eye on Bird

THE showdown for the NSW No.6 jersey may come down to Greg Bird's stoush with Raiders pivot Terry Campese at Canberra tomorrow not that the Gold Coast Titans playmaker is losing any sleep over it.

Bird might be sick of the speculation but he better get used to it after confirmation NSW selector Bob McCarthy will keep a close eye on the Titans' trip to the capital.

Thrown an NRL lifeline by the Titans following his much publicised assault case, Bird now has a chance of playing for NSW for the first time since 2008 following the ankle injury to incumbent Blues pivot Jamie Lyon.

But Bird claims higher priorities like rectifying the Titans' 7-4 season.

Somehow they are still in the top four after two straight losses, including last round's 30-16 capitulation to Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park.

Bird had some nice touches in the match in which the Titans were held scoreless in the second half as NSW selector Laurie Daley looked on.

And his representative record shows he can more than handle the next step up.

In fact Bird has won two man-of-the-match awards in just four games for NSW prompting Immortal Bob Fulton to describe him as the Blues' version of Wally Lewis two years ago.

But Bird clearly wasn't holding his breath ahead of the NSW team announcement on Monday night.

``Look, I have really tried not to think about it,'' he said.

``I have been thinking if I play the best for this team then that is going to show what I have got to give (for NSW).

``I am not trying to impress selectors, just win games hopefully that impresses selectors.''

While coy on who should play at No.6 for NSW, Bird was keen for former Cronulla teammate Brett Kimmorley to retain the halfback role.

``It's hard in any game, at club level or rep level, when you lose a game to get dropped,'' he said.

``I would like to see Noddy in there again. He is a mate of mine, a good player but of course that is up to the selectors.''

matti
06-06-10, 01:27 PM
Stop dropping the damn ball!!

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 01:32 PM
no bloody patience in attack, they dont go deep enough to set up a play, and the raiders have about 2 sets to titans 6 in their 20 and they lead 12-6

gotitans101
06-06-10, 01:32 PM
Raiders second try immediately after a drop ball by Tomane.

We really know how to give a game away.

matti
06-06-10, 01:40 PM
Man they should just give up. so angry

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 01:40 PM
titans are AWFUL, we have all the possesion but we are losing 18-6, i spit on our defence, attack and ball handling.

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 01:43 PM
22-6 they are so ****, give up you sad,pathetic losers

RobJ
06-06-10, 02:02 PM
21 missed tackes in the first half????? That is CRAP!

The slide starting early this year??? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

gotitans101
06-06-10, 02:03 PM
ffs Kevin Gordon in no mans land again.

This defense is disgraceful.

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 02:04 PM
****ing losers, 26-6 **** that my team can play better then the titans no wonder they have one of the worst defensive records.

jimbeam06
06-06-10, 02:04 PM
Have a ****ING go we will finish down the bottom i can just see. dont know how to use our speed ****ing **** team all i can say.:salute:

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 02:08 PM
Have a ****ING go we will finish down the bottom i can just see. dont know how to use our speed ****ing **** team all i can say.:salute:

i dont disagree with you.

Mushi
06-06-10, 02:15 PM
come on guys - we are having a shocking run of late and no we are not playing well in either defense or attack and as a big supporter I am very disappointed and angry when watching the game but the name calling against our team is not good at all!!!! Support your team through the good and then bad!!!! You can be angry without calling them things like pathetic.

RobJ
06-06-10, 02:21 PM
GET TOMANE OFF THE DAMN FIELD

7 missed tackles, they are running at him all day. A disgrace

matti
06-06-10, 02:26 PM
Shocking run? they get paid to play a sport they love! and alot of money for that, if they want fans to keep paying there membership they better start playing better

RobJ
06-06-10, 02:40 PM
Has Tomane swapped sides, now they are missing more tackles than they are making.....

Too late for us?

patskE
06-06-10, 02:44 PM
wow, we bomb'd that at the end

wat i dnt get
we got mead and gordon, 2 fastest blokes in the comp, n we just dont give em early ball in space
toopi and taga at the end there had a chance to give it to them early and let em use there speed to get past the fullback but they just dnt get it... look at bull and mead last week, bull just gave it to mead early n he raced away

prince needed to get himself into 1st receiver then last tackle, not a 2nd rower. sigh sigh sigh

kwigibo
06-06-10, 02:45 PM
No one to blame but themselves, took the wrong option so many times, had three times as many opportunities as they capitilised on. Finally get some good refs and they blow it when they should have won comfortably.

RobJ
06-06-10, 02:47 PM
well said patskE. We've got the fastest blokes in the comp and we can't get them the ball. Come on Mat, get fit...and fast.......

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 02:49 PM
wow, we bomb'd that at the end

wat i dnt get
we got mead and gordon, 2 fastest blokes in the comp, n we just dont give em early ball in space
toopi and taga at the end there had a chance to give it to them early and let em use there speed to get past the fullback but they just dnt get it...

prince needed to get himself into 1st receiver then last tackle, not a 2nd rower. sigh sigh sigh

thats 3 in a row we have lost, tomane obviously cant tackle, laffaranchi is a hog, maybe now carty will change the team and we can start playing decent and giving the ball to mead and gordan more.

the team he should choose

1.P.Campbell
2.D.Mead
3.C.Toopi
4.S.Tagatese
5.K.Gordan
6.G.Bird
7.S.Prince
8.L.Bailey
9.N.Friend
10.A.Cannings
11.M.Minnechello
12.A.Laffaranchi
13.A.Harrison
14.M.Henderson
15.B.Thompson
16.L.O'Dwyer
17.W.Matthews

matti
06-06-10, 02:50 PM
Laff needed to pass it at the end thinking he could get a try, ha noo. John needs to start punishing his players alot more.. ex: drop a ball 100$ fine...

Mushi
06-06-10, 02:56 PM
Soooo close at the end!!!! One pass there from Boof and we were in!!!! AAHHH. Nice to see us playing a lot better in that second half though. Anyone know what the go with Bird going off was?? We NEED him in our team and with Friend on report too! Still disappointed with a loss but a sign of some better footy there from the boys. Come on bring it all next week against Manly!!

Beachbub23
06-06-10, 04:21 PM
After a shocking first half with silly mistakes and way too much drop ball I think the Titans did alright in the second half. I think that disallowed try to Gordon was absolute rubbish..... it was only forward because of a late tackle on Presto pushing him back. And Friend on report??? They placed him down on his stomach!! there was nothing dangerous abouth that tackle!! Terrible calls by the ref! But in the end Laffranchi made the worst decision by hogging that ball. :(

All I can say is bring on Manly!!

Boonarga
06-06-10, 04:31 PM
But in the end Laffranchi made the worst decision by hogging that ball. :(

Taga made the worst decision when he had Mead unmarked outside him and took on the fullback.

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 05:28 PM
Taga made the worst decision when he had Mead unmarked outside him and took on the fullback.

he was going to but he would have lost it if he did a last minute flick, and i think you guys should stop bagging the refs for every loss we have, good teams win even if their is a few dubious calls against them and the refs are actually being quite to us this season and gavin badger was the best ref we have had this season.

Blazertaser
06-06-10, 06:00 PM
he was going to but he would have lost it if he did a last minute flick, and i think you guys should stop bagging the refs for every loss we have, good teams win even if their is a few dubious calls against them and the refs are actually being quite to us this season and gavin badger was the best ref we have had this season.

Wait a second, let me get this straight, so your saying they can make bad calls and those bad calls dont possibly result to the overall end score? Are you serious? Yes good teams win with or without the referee for that game, but sometimes the ref is just so wrong that it could affect a possible try we could have coming like a second later. For example, the try with gordon. If the ref had of given it a try (Which was quite blatantly a try IMO), it could be at a worst of 28-28 or if we hadve gotten the conversion we wouldve won. The refs decision have a crucial impact on the game mate, so if they make a wrong decision, it can affect whether we win or lose, and you think we cant bag them out for those Particular mistakes. I dont see anyone here paying out the refs overall decisions on the game. But the fair few that he did get wrong, couldve resulted the scoreline.

Blazer:thumbsup:

patskE
06-06-10, 06:04 PM
see, taga was trying to setup mead, but when he looked back at mead, he was infront of him, mead just needed a early ball and his pace would of done the rest. tbh we need tonga n rogers back. and y dnt we just boot it off a scrum n let gordon/mead chase the thing. we should score every time LOL

hopefully dwyer is back for some impact.
boof sorta looked like he was trying to win that sky blue call up tbh

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 07:12 PM
Wait a second, let me get this straight, so your saying they can make bad calls and those bad calls dont possibly result to the overall end score? Are you serious? Yes good teams win with or without the referee for that game, but sometimes the ref is just so wrong that it could affect a possible try we could have coming like a second later. For example, the try with gordon. If the ref had of given it a try (Which was quite blatantly a try IMO), it could be at a worst of 28-28 or if we hadve gotten the conversion we wouldve won. The refs decision have a crucial impact on the game mate, so if they make a wrong decision, it can affect whether we win or lose, and you think we cant bag them out for those Particular mistakes. I dont see anyone here paying out the refs overall decisions on the game. But the fair few that he did get wrong, couldve resulted the scoreline.

yea i understand that, my point was that if we hung onto the ball and didnt have flimsy defense and at times wasteful offense, all of these calls would be irrelevant, i am aware of bad no try calls btw

Boonarga
06-06-10, 07:47 PM
see, taga was trying to setup mead, but when he looked back at mead, he was infront of him, mead just needed a early ball and his pace would of done the rest. tbh we need tonga n rogers back. and y dnt we just boot it off a scrum n let gordon/mead chase the thing. we should score every time LOL

Totally correct. By the time Taga wanted to pass, Mead had over ran him. But he should have got the ball far earlier.

Blazertaser
06-06-10, 08:56 PM
yea i understand that, my point was that if we hung onto the ball and didnt have flimsy defense and at times wasteful offense, all of these calls would be irrelevant, i am aware of bad no try calls btw

Yeah mate i understand you know what "Bad no try calls" are, it was used to show evidence to back up my point

jasbec
06-06-10, 09:17 PM
GET TOMANE OFF THE DAMN FIELD

7 missed tackles, they are running at him all day. A disgrace

Jeez he was a good buy!!:thumbsup:

patskE
06-06-10, 09:55 PM
man, tomane has shown us was he can do
he just needs time to develop as a player, learn from rogers/toopi
but till then
rogers/tonga are still my pref centres

TITAN PETE
07-06-10, 10:13 AM
Terrible 1st half but a great 2nd half which was Inspired by Friend by showing what the team has lacked all year , Mongrel , i only wish he had thrown the punch at that Cat Campese :fight: ..

Some of u guys are weak supporters , the Semi's & Grand Final are not played in June :boo:

Ryan
07-06-10, 11:39 AM
Some of u guys are weak supporters , the Semi's & Grand Final are not played in June :boo:

Absolutely piss weak.
Week in, week out, spewing nothing but negative puss :doh:

Mushi
07-06-10, 01:53 PM
I can tell you I'd def rather have a bad run at this time of year than heading into the semis/finals! It was great to see a glimpse of the real titans in that second half. Gives me lots of hope they are getting over this gliche they have been having and are up for a big win against Manly!

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 02:45 PM
Absolutely piss weak.
Week in, week out, spewing nothing but negative puss :doh:

we are still supporting the team but its hard to be positive when your team hasnt won a game in a month and have had the worst defensive record in that month, and im sure someone on this forum said there was no such thing as a better supporter.and besides this is a forum where you talk about the team.

Blazertaser
07-06-10, 03:00 PM
we are still supporting the team but its hard to be positive when your team hasnt won a game in a month and have had the worst defensive record in that month, and im sure someone on this forum said there was no such thing as a better supporter.and besides this is a forum where you talk about the team.

I understand that, but doesnt mean you have to give up all hope like some people are doing........ If we were say.... the bulldogs, than theres a reason why we could give up hope, but we are coming 4th, and yes we havnt won a game in a month, but the team needs the support of their follows so they have high spirits going into a game. Dont count off the team yet;)

daveyk
07-06-10, 03:50 PM
Repeatedly sh!tbagging the team every week for a month is not being supportive - what you spit out isn't even constructive criticism. Even when the team was winning you were still calling for good players to be dumped for the promomtion of unproven or even injured players. I know this might hurt a little bit, but I want to try and think before you post. You never know - some people just might start to take you seriously????

WELL SAID!!!!!!

bigjim
07-06-10, 05:07 PM
I think a new rule of thumb for every Titan supporter on this site should be, stop yourself from giving your reactions to a game on game day. Way to much emotion to deal with and you tend to say things out of anger and frustration.

The fact is. The Titans will finish in the top eight this year. Canberra will not.
We have the team to win the competition. Canberra do not.
All they need to do is get there and put it all together on those important days in September.

I'm not saying I wasn't livid on Sunday, but what good does it do to broadcast it.

Go the Titans.:D

kwigibo
07-06-10, 07:29 PM
Gavin Badger was the best ref we have had this season.

No doubt. I'll bag the referees for the roosters loss, but this game and the broncos the Titans just didn't do enough. With a little better discipline and execution the Titans should have scored 60 points yesterday.

Badger is the best referee, straight shooter, doesn't screw up calls nearly as much as some, always explains his reasoning, and his reasoning is usually logical. Damning with faint praise though I guess.

Meanwhile at Skilled we're always subjected to idiots like Cummins, Archer, Lyons (or Maxwell to a lesser extent). I will pay extra for home games if we could get more Badger and never Cummins or Archer.

gotitans101
07-06-10, 07:33 PM
yeah I think Badger does a good job too, and you can't possibly blame him for this loss. We're just in a bit of a slump at the moment - and I hope we can turn it around against Manly on Friday.

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 07:35 PM
No doubt. I'll bag the referees for the roosters loss, but this game and the broncos the Titans just didn't do enough. With a little better discipline and execution the Titans should have scored 60 points yesterday.

Badger is the best referee, straight shooter, doesn't screw up calls nearly as much as some, always explains his reasoning, and his reasoning is usually logical. Damning with faint praise though I guess.

Meanwhile at Skilled we're always subjected to idiots like Cummins, Archer, Lyons (or Maxwell to a lesser extent). I will pay extra for home games if we could get more Badger and never Cummins or Archer.

exactly, its hard to find a decent ref these days.

Ryan
07-06-10, 08:11 PM
Maybe you should be coaching the titans and show them how to get ANGRY:fight: Carty could learn alot from you:thumbsup:
Very impressed mate!!!!!!
Haha, thanks. But I'm going to buck the forum trend here and admit that Cartwright knows more about coaching than me, and the players he selects each week would outperform me by a pharkload ;)

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 08:18 PM
greg bird not selected in blues squad again

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 08:39 PM
Round 13 (Updated Jun 07)
W L D B +/- Pts
1 Dragons 10 3 0 0 148 20
2 Panthers 8 4 0 1 85 18
3 Rabbitohs 7 5 0 1 101 16
4 Sea Eagles 7 5 0 1 59 16
5 Tigers 7 5 0 1 19 16
6 Titans 7 5 0 1 -18 16
7 Broncos 6 6 0 1 7 14
8 Eels 6 6 0 1 -11 14
9 Roosters 6 6 0 1 -43 14
10 Raiders 5 6 0 2 -57 14
11 Warriors 5 7 0 1 -63 12
12 Knights 4 8 0 1 -63 10
13 Sharks 4 8 0 1 -111 10
14 Bulldogs 3 9 0 1 -30 8
15 Cowboys 3 9 0 1 -94 8
16 Storm *

my worst nightmare has come true, the rabbitohs are in the top 3, titans still have that minus on our for and against.

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 09:26 PM
Yes brad will probably delete it, but mate, are you a titans supporter? From your comments about our players, your either:

Pissweak Fan

Unloyal Fan

Not A Fan

Before you make a comment, maybe research it or have an educated opinion first? Our boys put blood, sweat and tears into the game for an entertaining 80 minutes week in week out, yes they make mistakes, every team does, but this is primarily due to trying to hard to please the fans and themselves and also because there tired as ****! You go out there for 80 minutes, run at tom leahroyd-lahrs, steve matai, paul gallen, manu vatuvei. Dont give me some bull**** answer like "I have put myself in there position and joined the deforce force. And trust me there rookies is alot harder then the footy players normal training sessions". You know how much relevance the defence force has with footy? None.

Defence force is not for entertainment purposes
Defence force is not a game

Our boys do their best at what they do, at what they need to do! They represent the gold coast proudly, no matter if they lose a couple of games, i will Never lose my loyalty towards the team and will always have high spirits in thoughts for the team. I dont care if were in cronullas position or bulldogs, notice how their fans stay loyal, that's what rugby is isnt it? Loyalty, Comradery and Willingness to stay with your team no matter the outcome.

:salute:Gold Coast Titans 2010:salute:

for the record even though your talking to matti, i have never once been unloyal to the titans, despite the intentions to my friends who go for the dragons,warriors,tigers and ughhh the broncos. just wanted to say my bit:thumbsup:

Blazertaser
07-06-10, 09:26 PM
in the end line i save your guys asses really..

If you read my post's correctly.. i say titans supporters go to more effort in trying to make our team win by cheering the squad on the the footy players themselfs.. In the last match just watching the guys stroll back to there line , dropping the ball, consistant panalties loose us the game.. and it keeps on happing each week, hence why i get mighty angry

Mate, get off the Defence force topic, we get it..... Congratulations on being in the defence force, now leave it at that

And if you hadve read my post correctly, you wouldve answered my question?

Are you a titans fan?
Because the posts you bring up and the attitude towards the team doesnt show kindly in that favour

DIEHARD
07-06-10, 10:29 PM
Well I'm back from my Canberra trip and overall I had a great time. We were woeful in the first half and failed to capitualise on so much opportunity. We stormed back in the 2nd and looked lethal at times.

Preston Campbell was amazing! I applaud him! Bird looked great as well.

Some poor refereeing decisions cost us but we also cost ourselves the game with missed opportunities. And maybe not deserving it when you reflect on the first half. Was a good refereeing effort though.

Please everyone don't turn on each other. I haven't really re-read most of the posts, as yet. And I'll deal with the content as needed. But for now please get back to your corners. I admire your passion for sure, but sometimes it works against us.

titansrawesome, you probably should tone down what you write off the top of your head. I really didn't appreciate the series of sledges you fired off at the team when I read them, especially when it was only the first half. Please don't make this a trend. I don't mind people having an opinion, one way or the other. But tone it down and think out things more. But if you say things like this, reactionary things, people will give you alot less attention and consideration when you wanna really make a point.

And as for matti well, he is not some random internet keyboard jockey, he does actually go down to the games in SYD in trying conditions and is a passionate fan and a good bloke. I've met him. So is Blazer and the rest of the guys on the forum here. I think we should just call it a night on this particular debate and try again on a new one in the future.

We have a new Round 14: Titans v Manly thread! ;)

It sucks to lose and it is bloody frustrating, especially when the ability and troops and quality are all there on the field.

On a positive we HAD A GREAT AWAY TRIP TO CANBERRA AND WILL BE PLANNING A NEW ONE SOON! JOIN US! :)

curly_11
08-06-10, 07:00 AM
I think a new rule of thumb for every Titan supporter on this site should be, stop yourself from giving your reactions to a game on game day. Way to much emotion to deal with and you tend to say things out of anger and frustration.

The fact is. The Titans will finish in the top eight this year. Canberra will not.
We have the team to win the competition. Canberra do not.
All they need to do is get there and put it all together on those important days in September.

I'm not saying I wasn't livid on Sunday, but what good does it do to broadcast it.

Go the Titans.:D

I'll take a bet that Canberra make the 8. $20?

They are a good side and if Dugan remains fit all year that have massive potential!

curly_11
08-06-10, 07:03 AM
What is with you guys and the referees? I actually applauded the Refs at the end of the game!!!!!! Yeah he made a few bad decisions BUT they went both ways! At least he made decisions and didnt go up stairs every 2 seconds! The raiders were on the wrong side of MANY of his decisions!

Watch the replay of the game from an unbiased point of view! I know this is hard and many of you will fail!

God damn it! Stop blaming everyone! We need to work on parts of our game, better now than later....like last year!!!!!!! Have faith!

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 08:00 AM
Well I'm back from my Canberra trip and overall I had a great time. We were woeful in the first half and failed to capitualise on so much opportunity. We stormed back in the 2nd and looked lethal at times.

Preston Campbell was amazing! I applaud him! Bird looked great as well.

Some poor refereeing decisions cost us but we also cost ourselves the game with missed opportunities. And maybe not deserving it when you reflect on the first half. Was a good refereeing effort though.

Please everyone don't turn on each other. I haven't really re-read most of the posts, as yet. And I'll deal with the content as needed. But for now please get back to your corners. I admire your passion for sure, but sometimes it works against us.

titansrawesome, you probably should tone down what you write off the top of your head. I really didn't appreciate the series of sledges you fired off at the team when I read them, especially when it was only the first half. Please don't make this a trend. I don't mind people having an opinion, one way or the other. But tone it down and think out things more. But if you say things like this, reactionary things, people will give you alot less attention and consideration when you wanna really make a point.

And as for matti well, he is not some random internet keyboard jockey, he does actually go down to the games in SYD in trying conditions and is a passionate fan and a good bloke. I've met him. So is Blazer and the rest of the guys on the forum here. I think we should just call it a night on this particular debate and try again on a new one in the future.

We have a new Round 14: Titans v Manly thread! ;)

It sucks to lose and it is bloody frustrating, especially when the ability and troops and quality are all there on the field.

On a positive we HAD A GREAT AWAY TRIP TO CANBERRA AND WILL BE PLANNING A NEW ONE SOON! JOIN US! :)

will do, i have already made myself a promise that i wont comment on the titans until a day after their game, as i may get unreasonably nasty towards them,thats just how it happens.

titanstattman
08-06-10, 09:14 AM
Are u lot for real grow up and get back wat this thread is about..... And to theaten crap about ip address wat u in high school aswell.....

It was a tough game down there the raiders fans really were giving it to the team.. as alot of u wouldnt of known but i also think that played a big part of the game..... As pete said i also think Friend was the turning point of the game.. and thats wen they fired up.... I dont think they need to change the team to much.....

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 12:44 PM
We run the risk of Titans fans fighting with each other, which I don't like to see. Especially when I know you guys are real fans.

But also for the Titans and Rugby League fans out there reading and watching for the latest news. Well.... we don't need them thinking we are a bunch of tools. It puts them off. We are representing the Titans fanbase on here.

We got to seem edumahkated.

I mean at least we aren't Souths fans. They've been losing for years, haven't had a quality team for nearly two decades and have to deal with constant baiting from Dragons and Easts fans.

THANK GOD YOU ARE A TITAN!

teke
08-06-10, 01:36 PM
Another loss:mad:

I was surprised that Taga didnt drop the ball once as he does every game but then in the last minute he made me smile by not passing to an unmarked Mead for the game winner :laugh:

Titans will demolish Manly this weekend

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 02:00 PM
Titans fightback falls short

GOLD Coast Titans general Scott Prince saw the opportunity, saw the try waiting to be scored in the last minute yesterday against Canberra. So he screamed for the Steeden.

"But Boof, he saw an opportunity, too," Prince shrugged afterwards of backrower Anthony Laffranchi.

"He had a go and, unfortunately, came up short. But we certainly won't be blaming today on that ... we lost this one in the first 40."

Despite trailing by 20 points into the second half, the Titans produced a spirited fightback which saw them come within one play of victory at Canberra Stadium yesterday.

But on their final use of the footy, and with Prince and an overlap screaming for the Steeden to his right, Laffranchi charged for the line only to be stopped by anonymous Raiders heroes Joe Picker and Travis Waddell, condeming the Titans to their third straight NRL loss 28-24.

"It was one of those spilt-second decisions," said Laffranchi.

"In a way you don't lose a game in the last 30 seconds but in a way you do."

Indeed, when the Gold Coast break down this Canberra Stadium loss -- their fourth straight defeat in the nation's capital -- they will look at those opening 40 minutes.

One that saw the home side up 22-6 by the break and then 26-6 four minutes into the second half when winger Daniel Vidot crossed out wide.

Yesterday's loss, which comes on the back of disappointing defeats at the hands of the Broncos and Roosters, continues a worrying slide down the NRL ladder for the Titans.

The Titans were equal with competition pacesetters St George Illawarra and Penrith heading into the previous round but 10 days and two defeats later, they now sit two wins behind the Dragons in fifth thanks to a negative for-and-against.

The match review committee may add to the Titans concerns today after workaholic hooker Nathan Friend was placed on report for a lifting tackle on Raiders fullback Josh Dugan.

Titans coach John Cartwright was remaining positive despite his team's mini-slump.

"You can't dwell on that, there's not enough time between games to worry," he said.

"Every side at some stage has a bump in their season and the good ones kick out of it -- that's our challenge."

Canberra coach David Furner praised his side's mental toughness while acknowledging his team had come dangerously close to throwing away a certain victory.

"You give a good side like that that much possession, you put yourself under pressure," said Furner.

"Our first half, with our shape and everyone knowing their roles, was pretty good.

"Then that fatigue set in, in the second half, and a lot of things happen when players ... are in that position.

"You need to be strong mentally and I thought our team showed that."

Fullback Josh Dugan scored the home side's first try just 65 seconds in before Gold Coast centre Joseph Tomane answered back with his own four-pointer after five minutes.

But Canberra reasserted themselves, with tries to lock Trevor Thurling, centre Joel Thompson and five-eighth Terry Campese setting up a handy 22-6 halftime lead.

Winger Daniel Vidot was next to find the line minutes after the break before the Titans comeback kicked into gear.

Second-rower Mark Minichiello scored in the 58th minute to make it 26-12, before Prince answered Campese's penalty goal with another try in the 66th minute to close the gap to 28-18.

Laffranchi continued the resurgence, taking his team to within four points of the Raiders by the 73rd minute.

However, he couldn't repeat the dose in the dying seconds.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 02:01 PM
Raiders hold on for heart-stopping win

Canberra Raiders coach David Furner knew the question was coming.
The difference was this time he was able to smile about it.

The Raiders survived another second-half fadeout to beat the Gold Coast Titans 28-24 at Canberra Stadium yesterday.

The win snapped a three-game losing streak on their home turf and moved them within a whisker of the top eight.

After surrendering healthy leads in home losses to Wests Tigers and the South Sydney Rabbitohs recently, the Raiders were able to hold out the fast-finishing Titans, who came back from 26-6 down early in the second half to nearly pinch the game.

A relieved Furner admitted his heart was in his mouth when Titans second-rower Anthony Laffranchi attacked the Raiders' tryline in the dying seconds, only to be pulled down in a desperate tackle by Joe Picker and Travis Waddell.

The Raiders have won three of their past four games and are now 10th on the ladder. Only percentages separate them from the sixth-placed Rabbitohs.

For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/.../

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 02:01 PM
Resurgent Gold Coast Titans bow to Canberra Raiders in 28-24 nail-biter

TITANS star Anthony Laffranchi has slammed his decision to ignore an overlap as a jailbreak win went begging on the final play of a thrilling finale at Canberra Stadium.

The Gold Coast's winless streak in the nation's capital and their three-game losing streak were both extended in a roller-coaster 28-24 loss that has the club officially on the skids ahead of Friday's next acid test against Manly.

After giving up the opening try only 58 seconds in, and leaking another three first-half tries to trail 22-6 at the break, the Titans roared back to life in a bold second-half charge that only sank in the last 30 seconds.

The death knell came when Laffranchi, with the Raiders in tatters and on the ropes, pinned his ears back close to the line with the visitors' last play of the game - only to be brought down metres short with a red-hot Scott Prince, Sam Tagataese and David Mead all at his disposal.

"It was one of those ones, a split-second decision," a gutted Laffranchi said. "I thought I saw something but looking back I should have got the ball into Princey's hands," .

"He could have done a lot more with it than I could. I backed myself and it didn't work. In a way the game was not lost in the last 30 seconds, but in a way it was. We could have won it in the last 30 and didn't. But the first half - letting them get 20 points up - that killed us."

As their final chance slipped away, Prince, Tagataese and Mead threw their heads back in unison, and waved their arms furiously, as Laffranchi was brought to ground - but the damage was done far earlier.

"I saw an opportunity, but so did Boof, and unfortunately he came up short," Prince said. "But you can't blame that situation for us losing the game. It was lost in the first 40."

Adding to the Titans' worries were injury headaches over pivot Greg Bird (knee), centre Joseph Tomane (shoulder) and Will Matthews (concussion), and a report on hooker Nathan Friend for a lifting tackle on Raiders fullback and Blues Origin hopeful Josh Dugan.

There was some hope to salvage from the wreckage with Prince and coach John Cartwright declaring their squad drew a line in the sand during a second-half comeback that threatened to steal the points from the oiled Green Machine. "The last month our attitude and intensity has been dwindling away a bit, but today we certainly turned a new page," Prince said.

Gold Coast's day started on a low, with No.1 Preston Campbell spraying the opening kick-off out on the full. Dugan made them pay before a quick replay after a Prince 40-20 kick laid the platform for Tomane's sharp equaliser.

Instead, the flaws that have made the Titans the NRL's worst defenders over the past month reared their heads as the Raiders piled on the next 16 points to lead 22-6 at halftime.

When emerging Maroons Origin flyer Daniel Vidot dived over to extend the Raiders' lead to 26-6 on 44 minutes the match appeared dead but, as tensions threatened to boil over, the Titans came to life.

"Every side has a bump in their season at some stage, and the good ones kick out of it, that's our challenge," Cartwright said.

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

titansrawesome
08-06-10, 02:04 PM
did anyone see campese's 40/20 holy crap that was an awesome kick kevin gordan couldn't do anything about that.

matti
08-06-10, 02:14 PM
Scott prince one was still good that totally got us in the game again, but we could no manage to break a try with that 70% possesion...