PDA

View Full Version : State of Origin: Game 2 (2010)

DIEHARD
27-05-10, 10:49 PM
State of Origin

Queensland Maroons v NSW Blues

Wednesday July 7, 2010 - Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park)

MAROONS

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Willie Tonga
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matthew Scott
9. Cameron Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison
14. Cooper Cronk
15. Ben Hannant
16. Neville Costigan
17. David Taylor

Jharal Yow Yeh is the 18th man.

BLUES

1 Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
2 Brett Morris (Dragons)
3 Matt Cooper (Dragons)
4 Beau Scott (Dragons)
5 Timana Tahu (Eels)
6 Trent Barrett [vc] (Sharks)
7 Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)
8 Michael Weyman (Dragons)
9 Michael Ennis (Bulldogs)
10 Brett White (Storm)
11 Trent Waterhouse (Panthers)
12 Ben Creagh (Dragons)
13 Paul Gallen (Sharks)

14 Kurt Gidley [c] (Knights)
15 Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels)
16 Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Raiders)
17 Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys)

DIEHARD
27-05-10, 10:56 PM
Blues need changes for Origin II: Sailor

NSW has no hope of saving the State of Origin series if they take the same squad to Suncorp Stadium for the return bout, says Queensland great Wendell Sailor.

The battered Blues players are pleading for a shot at redemption, but Sailor believes a raft of alterations are required, including switching Jarryd Hayne to fullback and Jamie Lyon to centre.

With the Blues on the brink of an embarrassing fifth straight series loss after surrendering meekly in Wednesday night's 28-24 opening game defeat, Sailor said NSW had to take the axe to a side which failed to seriously challenge the Maroons at ANZ Stadium.

"They've got to make changes otherwise it's going to be 2-0," said Sailor, who tormented the Blues in 14 appearances for the Maroons from 1996-2001.

"They need to get the selections right ... why would you pick four centres and bring (Jamal) Idris into the game when you've got to then make three of four changes?

"You pick players in their position ... Jamie Lyon's playing great in the centres and you put him at five-eighth - NSW are their own worst enemies sometimes.

"They've got to make changes, and they've got to make the right changes.

"Whether it's to bring (Paul) Gallen in, whether to bring Greg Bird in - they're missing something there."

Sailor's advice may strike a raw nerve with NSW hierarchy, though it seems even Queenslanders are keen to see the Blues put up a stronger challenge in a contest starting to lose some lustre.

Even the prospect of a fierce physical onslaught seems to have evaporated, with NSW - having talked the talk about aggressive intent in the lead-up to Origin I - walking the walk for about 20 minutes before bowing to Queensland's superior skill and temperament.

Had Blues selectors known the contest was going to turn into a slogfest after torrential rain, there's little doubt they would have given the inclusion of hard men like Gallen, Bird and North Queensland's Luke O'Donnell more thought.

Halfback Mitchell Pearce will have his chance over the next fortnight to supplant Brett Kimmorley in the No.7 jumper, while strong performances could also earn Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah an Origin recall to add some spark to an unimaginative NSW attack.

NSW coach Craig Bellamy had described the game one team as the best squad picked in his three years in the role, though it seems inevitable that Jarryd Hayne will go to fullback for game two with captain Kurt Gidley moving to the halves after that combination yielded two tries late in the game.

"He obviously is more comfortable at fullback so pick him there," Sailor said of Hayne.

"He's the best player for NSW and the more he touches the ball the better he's going to be."

Hayne to fullback would likely see Jamie Lyon shuffle out to his favoured centre position, with either Timana Tahu or Matt Cooper - who came off for Idris at halftime due to a hip injury - to make way.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
28-05-10, 02:32 AM
Mal Meninga tips Maroons to run riot in State of Origin 2 at Suncorp Stadium

Meninga said Queensland's win in Sydney was more emphatic than the final scoreline indicated, with Queensland having led 28-14 with 13 minutes left.

On a heavy, greasy surface the Queensland backs scored four of the five tries and looked capable of scoring more.

"We're as dangerous as the opposition makes us basically, so our performance last night was fairly comprehensive," Meninga said.

"If they give us the same sort of space on a dry track we could be very dangerous.

"At the moment we have the upper hand, but we don't get complacent. It's a three-match series."

In the build-up to Origin III last year the players let their hair down after clinching the series in the return game in Sydney but there is no danger of that happening before the Brisbane game.

"The players have learnt their lesson," co-manager Jason Hetherington said.

"The fans who paid good money for the third game last year deserved more, although we still put up a good fight.

"But you have to get your preparation right."

Queensland fullback Billy Slater agreed with Meninga that a firm track at Suncorp would be a bonus.

"But it's not going to just happen because we're at Suncorp," Slater said. "We've got to make it happen and if we have to score points we'll use our skill and back our pace.

"It was a bit disappointing that they got back into the match last night and scored on the bell in the end.

"I suppose that's Origin. Both teams keep coming at you until the 80th minute.

"I hope we can get a quick track up at Suncorp. It was an ice rink at ANZ and the ball was a cake of soap.

"Underfoot that was probably the worst I've seen that ground. It was very muddy."

Former State of Origin five-eighth Kevin Walters will quit Super League club Catalans Dragons at the end of the season after declining to take up his option for 2011.

Walters succeeded fellow Australian Mick Potter in 2008 and last year guided the French club to the SL finals. But the Dragons are last this year with two wins from 15 starts.

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
29-05-10, 04:27 AM
Origin would be great says Blue-Bird

THE forgotten man of NSW Origin, Greg Bird, is adamant Queensland are beatable and said he would be thrilled to be given the opportunity to help turn the tide in the second match of the series on June 16. Overlooked for Origin I, and reportedly not at the forefront of selectors' minds for a call-up, Bird is a proven performer at the highest level.

Man of the match in two of his four NSW appearances, and judged best on field in one of his two Tests for Australia, the 26-year-old is rated by many as just the type of character the Blues need to arrest Queensland's mounting dominance. Aggressive, uncompromising and blessed with a strong running game and skill to boot, Bird had been in line for a role in Craig Bellamy's side until the City-Country trial. His failure to stand out at Port Macquarie prompted his Origin omission.

However, as his club side Gold Coast continue to press for the competition lead he is quietly making a campaign for a recall at some point this series.

''I'd be stoked to be there. But it's not up to me to decide,'' Bird told the Herald. ''Everyone wants to be involved in that game. They're the best players in rugby league, to be involved with all of them playing together is something special. The calibre of player you've got next to you … it's just not club football. It shows when you get out there - the football is a lot faster and it's a lot more physical. It is definitely a step up.''

Bird was watching on the tourist strip on Wednesday night as the all-conquering Maroons took a series lead at ANZ Stadium with a relentless performance. Despite the naysayers, he believes Queensland can be beaten.

''I don't think any team is invincible these days,'' he said. ''They were good the other night - I just think there are areas that NSW can work on and we can come back.''

He said his four appearances in 2007 and 2008 were the highlight of his career to date. ''I guess it's probably the highlight for most people's representative careers,'' he said. ''I've never been involved in a series win but just to get there again would be a massive honour for me.''

There are those in the NSW hierarchy who believe that Bird is more a lock than a five-eighth, where Titans coach John Cartwright has used him this season. The player himself, though, said he was equally comfortable at either and argued his aggressive, running style meant his role was very much the same no matter what jumper he wore.

''It doesn't bother me playing six or No.13,'' Bird said. ''I like to run the ball. I'm playing No.6 up here because that is what's best for our game. I enjoy playing six but if I'm needed to play 13 I'll play 13. The way I play it doesn't make a great difference which one I'm playing.''

Bird's Titans play the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park on Monday night.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
30-05-10, 02:05 PM
Looks like Lyon is injured and may miss Origin 2. If this is true, it means he won't be a part of the Manly team that will play us the week after next at Skilled Park.

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 09:29 AM
Brad Meyers a chance for Origin 2

TITANS coach John Cartwright has backed flame-haired prop Brad Meyers for a State of Origin resurrection should veteran bookend Petero Civoniceva fail to recover in time for Game 2 at Suncorp Stadium on June 16.

Civoniceva has conceded he needs a minor miracle to overcome a broken right hand, which is expected to rule him out for between four to six weeks.

With the second Origin clash just two and a half weeks away, the Maroons appear set to be without both of their most experience props as Steve Price's lengthy recovery from a foot injury shows few signs of improvement.

It will be the first time neither Price nor Civoniceva has been part of a Maroons 17 since the opening match of the 2002 series, a game won 32-4 by the Blues.

Cartwright said if Queensland Origin selectors were looking for an experienced campaigner to step in and fill the void, they should look no further than Meyers.

''He is a great team player,'' said Cartwright.

''He backs up better than anyone, his tackle count and clean up in his tackles is very good.

''He does all the little things well.

''He was mentioned in patches before the first Origin, so a good consistent two weeks of footy and you think he would be right up there again.''

Cartwright said Meyers, who played two games for the Maroons in 2001, would savour a return to the Origin arena.

But standing in his way to partner the likes of young props David Shillington and Matt Scott is Gold Coast product Ben Hannant, who is likely to return from a knee injury next week for the Bulldogs.

''If he did get a crack he would look at it as a bonus,'' said Cartwright.

''It is the same if they would have went with Friendy last week.

''You know in the back of your mind that Cameron Smith is going to be back or in this case Petero is going to be back but even if it is a one off, it is a dream come true.

''You know they wouldn't let anyone down that is for sure.''

Cartwright has found himself at the centre of his own Origin selection drama, with the Titans mentor named as one of the favourites to replace NSW boss Craig Bellamy should he lose his third straight series.

''It is not something that is at the forefront of my mind at the moment,'' said Cartwright.

''State of Origin is a great time of year but for me it is all about getting two points on Monday night.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 02:25 PM
I'm glad that the Maroons won't pick Folau. And even Lockyer and Petro agree with the stance.

We can bring in hopefully Tate, it would be pleasing to see him rewarded for his effort and loyalty. He usually performas well for the Maroons as well.

titansrawesome
03-06-10, 03:03 PM
I'm glad that the Maroons won't pick Folau. And even Lockyer and Petro agree with the stance.

We can bring in hopefully Tate, it would be pleasing to see him rewarded for his effort and loyalty. He usually performas well for the Maroons as well.

bring in lote i say

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 03:04 PM
Yea Lote has been devastating. I'd like to see him run over the top of some Blues!

daveyk
03-06-10, 08:35 PM
TATE??? NO WAY....

would much prefer to see lote come back into the team

titansrawesome
03-06-10, 08:37 PM
is kevin gordan a qlder? not picking him but just curious.

GCT_89
03-06-10, 08:57 PM
oh please, please, please, bring in Tate.... hes usually best on field for the BLUES....lol

DIEHARD
03-06-10, 09:44 PM
is kevin gordan a qlder? not picking him but just curious.

He is a Blue.

My first pick would be Lote, I would have had him in for Game 1.

But you know how Queensland is with loyalty. etc.

Blazertaser
04-06-10, 10:48 AM
oh please, please, please, bring in Tate.... hes usually best on field for the BLUES....lol

Haha yes he sure is, why would QLD pick tate? As if you would put Tate instead of Tuquiri?

Blazer:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 11:00 AM
Lote Tuqiri, Brent Tate in Origin II 'trials'

THE Maroons' battle-plan for Israel Folau's replacement steps up a gear tonight when selector Allan Smith runs the rule over former Wallaby Lote Tuqiri.

Smith will attend the Bulldogs-Wests Tigers match at ANZ Stadium and says Tigers winger Tuqiri is well in the mix for a return to representative league.

New Zealand Warriors star Brent Tate, a 15-game veteran for Queensland, has the inside running for Folau's spot, with QRL managing director Ross Livermore indicating his loyalty and long service would be major factors in the selection debate.

While the QRL are not sending a selector to Auckland this weekend, they have their own man on the spot - Tate's brother-in-law Steve Price.

The injured prop has been asked to give an assessment of Tate's display in tomorrow's match against St George Illawarra at Mt Smart Stadium. Steve Ricketts

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

titanstattman
04-06-10, 11:39 AM
goooooooooooooooooooo tate i love this man.............

titansrawesome
04-06-10, 03:28 PM
Lote Tuqiri, Brent Tate in Origin II 'trials'

THE Maroons' battle-plan for Israel Folau's replacement steps up a gear tonight when selector Allan Smith runs the rule over former Wallaby Lote Tuqiri.

Smith will attend the Bulldogs-Wests Tigers match at ANZ Stadium and says Tigers winger Tuqiri is well in the mix for a return to representative league.

New Zealand Warriors star Brent Tate, a 15-game veteran for Queensland, has the inside running for Folau's spot, with QRL managing director Ross Livermore indicating his loyalty and long service would be major factors in the selection debate.

While the QRL are not sending a selector to Auckland this weekend, they have their own man on the spot - Tate's brother-in-law Steve Price.

The injured prop has been asked to give an assessment of Tate's display in tomorrow's match against St George Illawarra at Mt Smart Stadium. Steve Ricketts

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

well that will be a biased towards tate then.

DIEHARD
04-06-10, 03:39 PM
well that will be a biased towards tate then.

I agree. It's much like "Folau ringing Hunt to ask him about his move to the AFL" :duh2:

TITAN PETE
06-06-10, 06:34 AM
Looks like Lewis will be on the sideline too for this match after a dangerous throw lastnight , he can watch it with Hayne & Slater at home

shamus
06-06-10, 11:35 AM
Looks like Lewis will be on the sideline too for this match after a dangerous throw lastnight , he can watch it with Hayne & Slater at home

...add Tate to the list of 'watching from home'.... he has just broken his jaw.

titansrawesome
06-06-10, 12:48 PM
I agree. It's much like "Folau ringing Hunt to ask him about his move to the AFL" :duh2:

doesnt matter cos tate has a broken jaw, out for season

Blazertaser
06-06-10, 01:10 PM
Well now that they practically have to choose lote, I think we have an excellent replacement for Folau! Not many players could fill his "superman" shoes

Steelers
07-06-10, 07:19 PM
Source: www.foxsports.com.au

New South Wales selectors were unable to finalise their line-up for State of Origin II, but included Mitchell Pearce in a provisional 21-man squad.

The Blues delayed naming their final 17 until Tuesday due to injury and suspension concerns.

The provisional squad included Cronulla pair Paul Gallen and Trent Barrett, St George Illawarra's Beau Scott, Parramatta forward Nathan Hindmarsh, North Queensland Cowboys enforcer Luke O'Donnell and Manly co-captain Jason King in their extended squad.

Canterbury-Bankstown halfback Brett Kimmorley and Manly trio Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough and Josh Perry failed to make the squad.

After being defeated in the opening match of the series in Sydney last month, the Blues are hoping to level the series and avoid a fifth straight series loss to the Maroons.

SQUAD
Trent Barrett, Matt Cooper, Ben Creagh, Josh Dugan, Michael Ennis, Paul Gallen, Kurt Gidley, Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Hindmarsh, Jamal Idris, Jason King, Tom Leroyd-Lahrs, Luke Lewis, Brett Morris, Luke O'Donnell, Mitchell Pearce, Beau Scott, Timana Tahu, Trent Waterhouse, Michael Weyman, Brett White

Steelers
07-06-10, 07:20 PM
NSW selectors living up to their image once again... :laugh:

Blazertaser
07-06-10, 08:05 PM
Grothe in for hayne?

daveyk
07-06-10, 08:07 PM
no bird??? the selectors must still be on crack....

titansrawesome
07-06-10, 08:21 PM
no bird??? the selectors must still be on crack....

they have been for a while now, laurie daley you cant justify to me why you pick these teams, qld to win 13+

Dummy Half
07-06-10, 08:29 PM
"The Blues delayed naming their final 17 until Tuesday due to injury and suspension concerns."

Isn't the judiciary on Wednesday? Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't make sense?
-

Steelers
07-06-10, 08:39 PM
"The Blues delayed naming their final 17 until Tuesday due to injury and suspension concerns."

Isn't the judiciary on Wednesday? Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't make sense?
-

Just saw on Sports Tonight news update that they got it moved to Tuesday so that their preparation isn't as badly impacted.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 12:15 AM
Hayne gets charged and Slater gets off.

Now that will stir the inter-state pot!

TITAN PETE
08-06-10, 06:30 AM
Hayne gets charged and Slater gets off.

Now that will stir the inter-state pot!

The ref dealt with Slater on the field & sin binned him so that has saved him but don't be surprised if Hayne fights the charge & gets off..:rolleyes:

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 12:56 PM
Bellamy says he's confused

NSW have no idea how to stop Mal Meninga's mighty Maroons claiming an historic fifth-straight State of Origin series after the Blues last night failed to name a team for Game 2 at Suncorp Stadium.

With the Blues descending into injury and judiciary chaos, coach Craig Bellamy was forced to unveil an unprecedented 21-man squad rather than the traditional starting 17.

The under-siege NSW boss admitted he was unlikely to nut out a side until at least tomorrow morning, giving him just eight days to prepare for what is starting to look like mission impossible.

Bellamy's major concern is whether Jarryd Hayne and Luke Lewis will get slapped with suspensions today.

Of the 21 players named, three are under serious injury clouds, with prop Michael Weyman (groin), centre Beau Scott (adductor) and utility back Josh Dugan (knee) in doubt.

In a startling admission, Bellamy conceded even he was confused at times in the selectors meeting by the number of potential combinations he will have to wade through.

"It's not just if one guy goes out this guy comes in, it's a bit of a balance to certain positions, balance to the bench." said Bellamy.

"There are 21 names there, there are 17 who are going to definitely be in the team. You could spend five or six hours working things out and something might change and that all doesn't work out at all.

"It was quite confusing with all the different options that can happen.

"I'm not quite sure how many manoeuvres we could make. You could end up with a whole heap of options."

Bellamy has taken the scalpel to his side that lost Game 1 in Sydney last month, dropping halfback Brett Kimmorley and prop Josh Perry.

Backrower Anthony Watmough (groin) and five-eighth Jamie Lyon (ankle) are also out injured.

Rookie halfback Mitchell Pearce appears to be the man handed the job of saving the series for NSW, while Trent Barrett has beaten Titans enforcer Greg Bird to the five-eighth jumper.

"Until we get through the medical in the morning and (the judiciary) we won't really know what the team is," said Bellamy.

"If the three injured guys come through and the two guys get off at the judiciary, you've got your 17 in mind.

"If three of them miss out and the two guys lose at the judiciary, you've probably got your 17.

"What happens in between, that's the hard thing."

Queensland will name their side in Brisbane today at 1pm and if anything, the Maroons will have an even stronger side for their homecoming, with hooker Cameron Smith returning from an elbow injury after missing Queensland's 28-24 win in the series opener.

The only other change will see Gold Coast product Ben Hannant in for injured warhorse Petero Civoniceva.

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 12:59 PM
Hayne could be heading for pain

PARRAMATTA star Jarryd Hayne is shattered that a moment of madness may cost him a State of Origin berth.

Hayne was named in an extended squad by NSW selectors last night but along with Penrith utility Luke Lewis, he must first beat charges at the judiciary tonight if he is to play in Origin 2 at Suncorp Stadium.

Hayne and Lewis have until midday today to decide whether to fight the charges.

Lewis was charged with a grade one dangerous throw for his tackle on Newcastle's Matt Hilder while Hayne was hit with a grade one striking charge for headbutting Billy Slater in the Eels spiteful win against the Storm.

The Eels fullback's pain was exacerbated by the fact Slater will be free to line up for Queensland after he escaped penalty for his part in an ugly incident later in the match which resulted in him being sin-binned for trying to elbow Hayne in retaliation.

Eels chief executive Paul Osborne was left bemused by the match review committee's decisions.

"I thought it was pretty soft," said Osborne.

"I'm not even sure I'd use the word headbutt. It was soft and I'm a little bit surprised he's been charged. I say this as a rugby league fan -- I'd be very disappointed if Jarryd Hayne missed Origin because of that."

But that's a very real prospect, with his counsel Geoff Bellew having little room to move with a grade one charge.

Hayne would have escaped suspension with an early guilty plea had he not received a 20 per cent loading for a non-similar (kneeing) charge last year.

"I'm very disappointed I got charged," said Hayne yesterday. "Hopefully we'll have a meeting tonight and see where we go from there."

And the Eels can't believe Slater escaped punishment for his part in a spiteful clash.

"I was surprised that he (Hayne) was charged and I suppose I was equally surprised that nothing else came out of the game," said Osborne. "I thought that the alleged elbow from Billy was as good, or as bad, as the alleged headbutt from Jarryd."

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 06:41 PM
Hayne got off!! He is free to play!

WTF!?!?!?:fight: :mad:
-

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 06:56 PM
Hayne got off!! He is free to play!

WTF!?!?!?:fight: :mad:
-

Just saw that on the ticker on Fox Sports News. What a rort!

Haven't seen any news story actually on it yet though.

What about Luke Lewis?

Chaos
08-06-10, 07:11 PM
Just saw that on the ticker on Fox Sports News. What a rort!

Come on Diehard...surely you can't call that a 'head butt'?

I've seen head butts before...they looked nothing like that!

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 07:21 PM
Come on Diehard...surely you can't call that a 'head butt'?

I've seen head butts before...they looked nothing like that!

That's why he was charged with a GRADE 1 striking not a GRADE 3,4 or 5.
It wasn't the worst head butt but it was STILL a head butt!

Getting off a GRADE 1 is basically saying that it didn't happen! :mad:

Great message to send to kids.
-

Chaos
08-06-10, 07:22 PM
That's why he was charged with a GRADE 1 striking not a GRADE 3,4 or 5.
It wasn't the worst head butt but it was STILL a head butt!

Getting off a GRADE 1 is basically saying that it didn't happen! :mad:

Great message to send to kids.
-

It didn't happen...there was no head butt...Slater didn't feel it and Hayne shouldn't miss Origin for it.

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 07:27 PM
It didn't happen...there was no head butt...Slater didn't feel it and Hayne shouldn't miss Origin for it.

Head butt
noun
an aggressive and forceful thrust with the top of the head into the face or body of another person.

My eyes work. Do yours?
-

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 08:09 PM
You got to really wonder about some of the recent decisions coming out of the NRL. Hayne and before that Thurston, should IMO should have been stood down.

As dummy half says, POOR EXAMPLE to the kids.

Do we even have rules in the NRL anymore? They have been bent and twisted so often that I can not recognise them.

But hey.... well they got what they wanted, Hayne v Slater. Should make for a great game. More gun powder packed down into the State of Origin rivalry.

Steelers
08-06-10, 08:47 PM
Head butt
noun
an aggressive and forceful thrust with the top of the head into the face or body of another person.

My eyes work. Do yours?
-

Hayne's headbutt lacked force. As a QLD supporter I am glad he didn't get suspended for such a minor incident.

kwigibo
08-06-10, 09:03 PM
"Rookie halfback Mitchell Pearce appears to be the man handed the job of saving the series for NSW,"

Rookie how, he's played origin and 3 years of 1st grade.

kwigibo
08-06-10, 09:06 PM
And regarding Hayne, Zillman got 4 weeks for a bite that was hardly a bite, Hayne should have got something. A head butt is a head butt, whether it hurts or not it's still dangerous and contrary conduct. They only set bad precedents and make hypocrites of everyone by letting star players off.

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 09:19 PM
Hayne's headbutt lacked force. As a QLD supporter I am glad he didn't get suspended for such a minor incident.

Of course it had force, otherwise Slaters' head would not have recoiled. I'm not saying there was a LOT of force, but that's why it was a GRADE 1 not a GRADE 4. It's still a head butt. Letting him off a grade 1 is the equivalent of saying that it wasn't a head butt to begin with. And as you said yourself "Hayne's headbutt lacked force", so yes it's a low-end head butt, but it's still a head butt and should have been charged. I think its pretty clear that were Origin not an issue, he would have been suspended. And the NRL loses a lot of credibility because of it.

On a different note: I think u should need double the points (200 instead of 100) to miss an Origin match anyway because they are so important, same goes for finals and the GF. Then supposed "little things" can't make anyone miss a big game.
-

titanstattman
08-06-10, 09:24 PM
And the drunken street thug dog shot (elbow) from behind that salter put on Hayne that was ok.. Cause Haynes head moved forward wen he hit him..... i think its even dont u.... And things got abit heated so wat its not touch football... and if it wasnt SOO time no1 would give a crap...

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 09:26 PM
And regarding Hayne, Zillman got 4 weeks for a bite that was hardly a bite, Hayne should have got something. A head butt is a head butt, whether it hurts or not it's still dangerous and contrary conduct. They only set bad precedents and make hypocrites of everyone by letting star players off.

Couldn't agree more. This isn't like a high tackle, where hitting people's bodies with your arms is part of the game and can sometimes be miscalculated. This is deliberate, and far removed from any aspect of rugby league. And like I said earlier, what kind of message does this send to kids watching?
-

titanstattman
08-06-10, 09:27 PM
Couldn't agree more. This isn't like a high tackle, where hitting people's bodies with your arms is part of the game and can sometimes be miscalculated. This is deliberate, and far removed from any aspect of rugby league. And like I said earlier, what kind of message does this send to kids watching? -

Should ask billy the same thing cause he had 6 tackels to think how he was going to get back at hayne

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 09:29 PM
And the drunken street thug dog shot (elbow) from behind that salter put on Hayne that was ok.. Cause Haynes head moved forward wen he hit him..... i think its even dont u.... And things got abit heated so wat its not touch football... and if it wasnt SOO time no1 would give a crap...

Slater should have been charged too. But i don't think he had any carry over points so he wouldn't have missed Origin, plus they sent him to the Sin Bin for it. Maybe they felt he had already served a punishment.
-

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 09:31 PM

Good point Kwigi about Zillman.

If it wasn't a star ie Hayne, Im sure that player would have been suspended.

We can't start ruling on "if it hurt" or "how much blood there is". It needs to be more clear cut.

"HYPOCRITE" is the special magic word of the week in RUGBY LEAGUE. :banana:

titanstattman
08-06-10, 09:32 PM
Slater should have been charged too. But i don't think he had any carry over points so he wouldn't have missed Origin, plus they sent him to the Sin Bin for it. Maybe they felt he had already served a punishment.
-

But the 1st thing was a heat ofthe moment in the game as everygame has... like i said slater had 6 tackels to think about wat he was going to do nd in my book thats the wrost thing for kids to see.. a revenge attack on a player cause thats wat it was... and like smith said to ref. " wat we got to lose we got nothing" yeah great leader.....hahaha

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 09:43 PM
But the 1st thing was a heat ofthe moment in the game as everygame has... like i said slater had 6 tackels to think about wat he was going to do nd in my book thats the wrost thing for kids to see.. a revenge attack on a player cause thats wat it was... and like smith said to ref. " wat we got to lose we got nothing" yeah great leader.....hahaha

I wouldn't say Hayne's was in the heat of the moment at all. Slater played the ball. Hayne pushed Slater. Slater pushed Hayne. They stood there holding each others jerseys. They walked a few steps then... Head butt. It was basically unprovoked. Not in anyway that could be described as "heat of the moment".

It was a good 7 seconds after the tackle before his head butt. Now I know that doesn't sound like much, but if you actually count to 7 properly, it is MORE than enough time to think about whether or not its a good idea to head butt a bloke.

Like I said, they both should have been charged.
-

titanstattman
08-06-10, 09:47 PM
The thing i see with billy is if u show him up he gets pissed. hayne put a good tackle on him.. and u will see billy mouthing off at hayne b4 he plays the ball while he was on his knees.. Billy thru the 1st push, i had the game recorded and im watching it now.....

And thats why i say its even now..... and to be a set dead cracker come june 16 between these two players

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 10:03 PM
Billy thru the 1st push

:laugh: Haven't heard that one before
Funny stuff. :)
-

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 10:04 PM
What's next from New South Wales?

Gidley captaining from the bench? :laugh: ;)

Dummy Half
08-06-10, 10:10 PM
What's next from New South Wales?

Gidley captaining from the bench? :laugh: ;)

Ha I cant believe they've done that! What a joke!
How can you have faith in someone to lead your team and yet think he's not good enough to make the run-on team in the first place?! crazy!
What's going on down there in NSW??

QUEENSLAND FTW!! :banana:
-

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 10:14 PM
Well it isn't official yet, but there is a strong tip!

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 11:14 PM
NSW NAME GIDLEY ON BENCH & CAPTAIN - IDRIS, KING & DUGAN AXED

Just when things couldn't get more comical at the NSWRL they have gone to a new level by naming Kurt Gidley as captain for game two despite being named on the interchange bench.

Trent Barrett has been named as vice-captain and will lead the Blues out onto the field in game two with Gidley warming the benches until the decision is made as to when they introduce him into the match, most likely as a replacement dummy half for Michael Ennis, which beggars the question wouldn't it have been a wiser choice to select Robbie Farah on the bench instead? Farah is a world class hooker and he's far better option than Gidley as a backup to the halves.

The selectors have shot themselvers in the foot by pinning their hopes on Gidley as captain last year when as a fullback he was ranked behind Brett Stewart (who got injured prior to Origin last year), Jarryd Hayne and at the time Luke Patten. Now Gidley is ranked behind Stewart (injured again), Hayne, Dugan and Lachlan Coote as fullback options NSW have available.

Gidley is now officially the "Mike Brearley" of New South Wales State of Origin Rugby League with his selection as captain from the interchange bench.

The three players axed by the NSW selectors from the NSW squad of 21 are Jamal Idris, Josh Dugan and Jason King along with the suspended Luke Lewis.

Who would have missed out if Luke Lewis was successful in avoiding suspension at the judiciary?

Timana Tahu moves out to the wing with Hayne moving to fullback with Tahu having not played a game on the wing since his Newcastle Knights days playing outside Matthew Gidley.

Beau Scott has jumped Idris and last year's successful game three centres Josh Morris and Michael Jennings to partner Matt Cooper.

Barrett has gone from missing out on the NSW side to being the virtual Blues captain.

With King's omission no specialist front-rowers have been selected on the bench.

The Blues squad beggars belief, but if they win the selectors will be hailed as geniuses. However, if they lose they can't blame Brett Kimmorley for the loss or will they?

1 Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
2 Brett Morris (Dragons)
3 Matt Cooper (Dragons)
4 Beau Scott (Dragons)
5 Timana Tahu (Eels)
10 Brett White (Storm)
12 Ben Creagh (Dragons)
13 Paul Gallen (Sharks)

Source: http://www.rleague.com

DIEHARD
08-06-10, 11:16 PM
Far stronger team than Game 1 IMO.

Steelers
09-06-10, 02:45 AM
:laugh: The NSW selectors are a funny bunch. They do have a stronger side (in certain aspects) than they did in Game 1, but it could be better. Also, it makes you wonder why they picked the team they had in Game 1 in the first place! Why the sudden lack in confidence in the team they felt was capable of doing the job a few weeks ago? The answer is simple: They are idiots.

Kimmorley was wrongfully dropped from the team for Game 2. Mitchell Pearce is nowhere near SOO calibre at this point in time. The ideal halves combination for them would be Kimmorley and Barrett. It worked last year. They made some improvements in the forwards with Gallen (who should have been there Game 1) and Hindmarsh returning.

Gidley on the bench is a waste. They shot themselves in the foot when they decided to make him captain again for this series. He shouldn't be in the squad. If they want someone to play dummy half off the bench, then pick the 2nd best dummy half available, not the 5th best fullback available. And captaining a side from the bench? :laugh:

Putting Tahu on the wing seems silly. Wouldv'e been better to either keep him at centre and pick a specialist winger, or drop him, play Beau Scott at centre and pick a specialist winger. What happened to the (over)hyped James McManus? Nathan Merritt? Joel Monaghan? Steve Turner? Luke Burt? Hell even Anthony Minichiello has been on the wing this season.

Where is Idris? Oh wait, maybe someone told the selectors about how stupid it is to have a rookie centre starting from the bench.

The only negative I can think of in the QLD side is the embarrassing inclusion of Israel Folau.

Prediction: QLD to win 13+

titansrawesome
09-06-10, 07:06 AM
NSW NAME GIDLEY ON BENCH & CAPTAIN - IDRIS, KING & DUGAN AXED

1 Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
2 Brett Morris (Dragons)
3 Matt Cooper (Dragons)
4 Beau Scott (Dragons)
5 Timana Tahu (Eels)
10 Brett White (Storm)
12 Ben Creagh (Dragons)
13 Paul Gallen (Sharks)

Source: http://www.rleague.com

what a crap team pftttt, qld easily 32-0, although hindy and gallen im glad are back

TITAN PETE
09-06-10, 07:15 AM
Putting Tahu on the wing seems silly. Wouldv'e been better to either keep him at centre and pick a specialist winger, or drop him, play Beau Scott at centre and pick a specialist winger. What happened to the (over)hyped James McManus? Nathan Merritt? Joel Monaghan? Steve Turner? Luke Burt? Hell even Anthony Minichiello has been on the wing this season.

Where is Idris? Oh wait, maybe someone told the selectors about how stupid it is to have a rookie centre starting from the bench.

The only negative I can think of in the QLD side is the embarrassing inclusion of Israel Folau.

Prediction: QLD to win 13+

Tahu played his entire career at Wing for the Knights & NSW , :rolleyes:

walley
09-06-10, 08:15 AM
NSW need bird, he gave it to you Queenslander's a few years ago and im sure he'd do it again.

I just dont know what the selectors see in creagh, white and cooper.

And tahu, his still serving his apprenticeship since coming back to league!!!

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 11:31 AM
Just saw on FSN that there was a leaked email from Geoff Carr of the NSWRL giving it to the QRL about the Folau decision. Now they want to have an ARL board meeting to set a rule in stole to not select code jumpers for representative games.

Sad to see Idris get dropped. He played well in Game 1. But I guess moving Gidley to the bench etc has to push someone out.

I can't wait!!!!!

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 11:42 AM
I was going to bet on the Maroons but.....

Queensland 1.20
New South Wales 4.50

When was the last time either state team was at such long odds?!

Blazertaser
09-06-10, 12:52 PM
No point in betting queensland.........
And no point betting nsw either as they wont win aha

Dummy Half
09-06-10, 02:49 PM
Just saw on FSN that there was a leaked email from Geoff Carr of the NSWRL giving it to the QRL about the Folau decision. Now they want to have an ARL board meeting to set a rule in stole to not select code jumpers for representative games.

Are they serious?? This is just because the player in question happens to be Israel Folau.
I bet if we had picked Yow Yeh on the wing and HE had just signed with the AFL they wouldn't say boo.

NSW =:cry:
QLD = :D
-

titansrawesome
09-06-10, 03:00 PM
code hoppers are lame and shouldnt be allowed to play in origin, however if they are staying with the code this season and beyong(lote tuquiri) then they should, especially afl hoppers should never be allowed to play for qld.

daveyk
09-06-10, 03:00 PM
nsw selectors are still on crack... who in their right mind starts the CAPTAIN fromn the bench....

5 in a row here we come

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 03:11 PM
Are they serious?? This is just because the player in question happens to be Israel Folau.
I bet if we had picked Yow Yeh on the wing and HE had just signed with the AFL they wouldn't say boo.

NSW =:cry:
QLD = :D
-

It might be an all time LOW for Origin betting in recent years.

One of my idiot friends bet me that he would buy a TITANS, QUEENSLAND and KANGAROOS jersey if Queensland wrapped up the series.

I'm relishing the idea of giving him a phone call after fulltime of Game 2 and organising tha shopping trip! :banana:

titansrawesome
09-06-10, 04:27 PM
It might be an all time LOW for Origin betting in recent years.

One of my idiot friends bet me that he would buy a TITANS, QUEENSLAND and KANGAROOS jersey if Queensland wrapped up the series.

I'm relishing the idea of giving him a phone call after fulltime of Game 2 and organising tha shopping trip! :banana:

one word... nice, i still dont have a qld one

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 04:34 PM
one word... nice, i still dont have a qld one

The only thing dumber than actually making that bet was not forcing me to do anything for a NSW series victory! :laugh:

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 04:35 PM
We owe Queensland fans, says Lockyer

Darren Lockyer says his record-breaking Maroons owe Queensland fans after they were off their game against NSW at Suncorp Stadium last July.

A crowd of 50,000 packed out the ground hoping to celebrate Origin's first series whitewash in a decade.

However, led by man-of-the-match Anthony Watmough, a physical Blues outfit muscled-up on Queensland, leaving the home fans disappointed.

The win came too late to save the Blues from an embarrassing fourth straight series loss.

But it earned Queensland's record-breaking team a rocket for their poor preparation amid allegations some players dabbled in a ****tail of party drugs before the game.

The fallout from the below par performance was used by coach Mal Meninga and Lockyer to make sure preparations for game one in Sydney last month were spot on.

Their 28-24 reply now gives Lockyer - who could well be playing his last Origin at home - an opportunity to repay those same fans with a special night to remember with a fifth series win.

"Obviously that's our goal to wrap up the series at home," said Lockyer on the eve of his 32nd Origin.

"Last year, game three, we were outplayed but at the same time, we probably didn't play our best game either.

"That will be something we'll speak about this week - that Queensland supporters and fans deserve a better deal."

While Lockyer concedes NSW's desperation makes them even more dangerous, Queensland are not lacking in the motivation department.

Forward warrior Steve Price, who has announced his retirement at the end of 2010, has been invited into camp this week.

As usual, Meninga will surround his players with former Origin heroes, a practice the Maroons have embraced since the early days.

Meninga wants Price, a veteran of 28 Origins, to enjoy a fitting representative farewell at Queensland rugby league's spiritual home.

Price, who along with Petero Civoniceva has been the foundation of Queensland success for many years, has been battling the clock to pull on the Maroons jersey one last time.

A frustrating foot injury has so far foiled his efforts to get back on the field for the Warriors in 2010.

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 04:37 PM
As a Queenslander at that game I was pissed off.

Largely for our lack of heart.

A bit for not getting the whitewash, 3-0 series win.

But mainly because it was Q150 year! Queensland's 150th birthday!

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 05:12 PM
Tahu calls Slater bluff on sledging

The scene is set for an explosive battle between Queensland star Billy Slater and the Blues’ Parramatta duo of Jarryd Hayne and Timana Tahu after Tahu today accused Slater of lying to save face.

Slater had this week vehemently denied claims by Tahu and another Eels player that he had mercilessly sledged Hayne in the lead-up to their fiery second-half clash during Parramatta’s 24-10 win over Melbourne last Friday night, telling The Sydney Morning Herald that “there was no sledging between me and any Parramatta player.

“To hear that, I was a little bit shocked,” Slater is reported to have said.

But Tahu today stood by his earlier claims, lighting the fuse for more fireworks after Hayne was cleared of a striking charge at the NRL judiciary last night.

“I’m sure you could see his face – I could see his face and his lips moving,” Tahu, who will line up on the wing for NSW next Wednesday night, told NRL.com.

“He is probably just trying to sweep it under the rug a bit so that he doesn’t get too much attention.”

Asked if it was typical of Slater to sledge during a match, Tahu said: “I think that’s just his game. He is a passionate bloke.

“But to be honest I like watching it – for me, that was awesome on Friday night watching them go at it – two fullbacks like that.

“I’ve never seen that happen in the history of rugby league.

“It’s exciting. They’re both exciting players, the best fullbacks in the world and they’re fighting for that no.1 jumper for the Kangaroos.

“For them to come up against each other and exchange little punches and a bit of trash talking, it was good.

“It makes you stop worrying about your own job and just enjoy watching it as a spectator.

“I was loving it on Friday night.”

The likelihood of Hayne and Slater coming into contact again in Origin II were boosted by last night’s judiciary result, with the Parramatta custodian named at fullback for NSW for the first time in his nine-game State of Origin career.

The positional reshuffle has seen St George Illawarra’s Beau Scott named to make his debut in the centres, with Tahu moving out to the wing.

But the veteran of 12 games for the Blues said he was just glad to be back on the representative scene.

“It’s unbelievable,” Tahu said. “It was something when I came back from rugby – I’m 30 this year and I just wanted to train hard and play the best I could for Parramatta because they already had some good centres there last year in Krisnan Inu and Jonathon Wright and Joel Reddy.

“They had a good run last year so I felt lucky just putting that Parramatta jumper on again.

“To make the NSW side was a bonus I wasn’t expecting.

“To run out for them again was a special moment for me.”

Tahu said he was keen to make a difference for the Blues in Game Two but insisted he was happy with his efforts in the series opener two weeks ago.

“I don’t think I could have done too much more – it was a wet game and most of it was played up the middle,” he said.

“That’s just how the cards were dealt so I just tried to play as hard as I could.

“I was disappointed with the outcome but I wasn’t disappointed with my own game.”

Chaos
09-06-10, 06:00 PM
Captain on the bench...the reason a coach choses a captain is to show the leader in the team.

Either the NSW are selectors are as stupid as we think
or they are playing games and will change the team.
I suppose they have proven their stupidity in the past

I thought only the captain could ask the ref questions on the field...this will be the first time in ages that we'll be able to take the quick tap from a penalty.

titansrawesome
09-06-10, 07:45 PM
The only thing dumber than actually making that bet was not forcing me to do anything for a NSW series victory! :laugh:
lol he reminds me of my over confident blues fans, but i dont think they have the n.u.t.s to do that bet, and with selectors like nsw have what do they have to be worried about?:doh:

DIEHARD
09-06-10, 07:52 PM
Sad thing is that he is actually a Maroons fan. But an all round nutter. LOL

titansrawesome
09-06-10, 08:22 PM
Sad thing is that he is actually a Maroons fan. But an all round nutter. LOL

well thats something you don't hear everyday:laugh:

Steelers
09-06-10, 08:41 PM
Tahu played his entire career at Wing for the Knights & NSW , :rolleyes:

Yes but this year he has been playing in the centres.

kwigibo
09-06-10, 09:40 PM
I actually think its worth a flutter. As bad a shape as the blues are in, this is Origin and there's talent in that team, more talent than warrants $4+.

Dummy Half
10-06-10, 08:14 AM
Rule shift saves Jarryd Hayne from possible headbutting suspension
June 10, 2010

The NRL will ask judiciary chairman Paul Conlon for a please explain after his decision to make a late change to the judge's directions contributed to the exoneration of Jarryd Hayne.

In delivering his directions to the judiciary's three-man panel on Tuesday night, Conlon said they needed to be satisfied Hayne had intended to cause considerable pain or injury when he headbutted Melbourne and Queensland fullback Billy Slater.

For seven years, under the watch of match review commissioner Greg McCallum, the judge's directions have simply stated the accused only had to cause discomfort.

In an alarming aftermath to one of the most anticipated judicial hearings in recent memory, it emerged on Wednesday that McCallum and NRL prosecutor Peter Kite were only notified of Conlon's plans to change the directions in the hour preceding the case being heard.

While former Queensland players admitted they were bemused by the sudden change of tack by Conlon, the NRL confirmed it would approach the judiciary head to discuss the ramifications of his decision.

The judiciary panel included New South Welshmen Sean Garlick and Don McKinnon and former Queensland Origin great Bob Lindner.

"The judiciary's rules have standard directions, which the chairman can vary depending upon the circumstances that apply," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"He did that last night. We will talk to Paul Conlon to understand the ramifications of that."

Conlon, a district court judge, told Sydney radio that he agreed with the panel's verdict.

In another admission likely to cause angst in Queensland, he also revealed he believed Maroons halfback Johnathan Thurston should have been found guilty of detrimental conduct for his altercation with referee Jason Robinson two weeks ago.

Thurston was cleared after a split vote of the panel members - Conlon plays no part in deciding guilt other than to give directions to the panel members.

"Last week in relation to both cases (Hayne and Luke Lewis, suspended for a lifting tackle) I agreed with both of those verdicts," Conlon said.

"Last week in relation to Thurston I didn't agree with it."

While several Queensland legends said they were happy with the outcome of the Hayne hearing, they were also alarmed at the late change by Conlon.

"It doesn't surprise me," former Queensland centre Chris Close said.

"They have done it from day one - changed the rules to suit themselves. In all fairness I would have been embarrassed if they had suspended him for what he did."

Former Maroons five-eighth Ben Ikin was concerned by the shift.

"It concerns me that the way things would normally have been handled, it seems they have been managed to get an outcome for NSW. The outcome itself is what should have always happened. I am always of the opinion that suspensions or punishments at club level shouldn't carry over into Origin," he said.

"The fact that they changed the rules to get an outcome, which would seem on the surface favourable to NSW, is not a great thing."

While NRL officials plan to investigate the Hayne hearing, NSW coach Craig Bellamy said he would not be instructing his fullback to curb his temper when he crosses paths with Slater again on Wednesday night.

"I don't want to rein (Jarryd) into nothing and he's in the team because of what he does on the weekends with Parramatta," Bellamy said.

"Why would I want to change that? I think anyone enjoys a little bit of rivalry and they're two great players.

"It would have taken something out of the game if he'd got suspended."

Dummy Half
10-06-10, 08:17 AM
NSW ready to use weight in the ARL boardroom to ban Folau from Origin III
June 10, 2010

The Australian Rugby League could ban AFL-bound Queensland star Israel Folau from playing in the final State of Origin game in Sydney.

As rugby league relations between the two states sank to an all-time low, New South Wales-based directors were on Wednesday night considering calling an emergency board meeting and voting to prohibit the AFL's new face of Sydney from participating in the final Origin game.

NSW have the boardroom numbers - and will seriously consider using them - to implement a rule that stops players who are switching to AFL or rugby union from taking part in rugby league's greatest showpiece.

Folau has walked out on rugby league to join new AFL club Greater Western Sydney on a four-year deal worth $3.6 million.

"It is something the directors are considering," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said.

"We have to think about a Queensland team (with AFL defector Folau) preparing for the game in Western Sydney and playing the game in Western Sydney. It could be a circus."

"We've made it clear that we're not happy about Israel being picked for game two but there is nothing we can do about it unless the rules are changed."

Veteran board member John Chalk, the man who put the motion for an independent commission that was carried against Queensland's wishes, is fired up to do something similar to stop defecting players from playing Origin.

"Good luck to him (Folau). But I'm concerned that as a code we're in competition with the AFL and it's our job to ensure we don't shoot ourselves in the foot," Chalk said. "We need to be strong in our decisions.

"There will be some criticism if we introduce the rule, but that comes with the territory. It's our job to protect rugby league's best interests."

The ARL remained a laughing-stock around the country on Wednesday for allowing the AFL's ambassador and face of Sydney's west to be chosen in the Queensland side for the decisive Origin II.

No one was happier than GWS coach Kevin Sheedy.

"It's a great decision," Sheedy said.

"He's contracted to play rugby league. He's in great form. He got a couple of tries last weekend. If they pick him, they pick him.

"But I'm pleased for Israel. He's not doing anything for AFL now until he's finished his contract with Brisbane Broncos. It's good for Queensland but it's not good for NSW. I hope the Blues can get up and turn it into a decider in Sydney.

"It's really Queensland's business, I've got a tough job to turn him into an AFL player. That's my main concern."

NSW coach Craig Bellamy said Folau had every right to feel "confused" about his relationship with Queensland players and officials following their monumental backflip in selecting him.

Asked whether Folau should play, Bellamy said: "That's someone else's decision ... it sounds like if he was a New South Welshman he wouldn't be picked."

Dummy Half
10-06-10, 08:23 AM
OK so they change the rules to get one of THEIR players IN :mad:

AND they try to change the rules to get one of OUR players OUT :boo:

What a bunch of filthy sneaks!! Dirty rotten :censored: !!!!

God I hope we SMASH EM!!! :fight:
-

shamus
10-06-10, 08:51 AM
OK so they change the rules to get one of THEIR players IN :mad:

AND they try to change the rules to get one of OUR players OUT :boo:

What a bunch of filthy sneaks!! Dirty rotten :censored: !!!!

God I hope we SMASH EM!!! :fight:
-

I don't care which way the decision on Hayne and Slater went. Maybe Hayne should have been suspended. It would have ruined a great spectacle though. I also think Slater should have been suspended. It is irrelevant that he missed with his elbow, the fact is he tried damn hard to connect.

But about Folau...him going to AFL doesn't worry me. What worries me is that fact that whilst under contract with the NRL he has gone to Sydneys west and promoted AFL. I personally don't think he should have been selected. I am a Blues boy but I suspect even is I was a quee ns lan87r4 (I can't say it) I would be having second thought about wanting him in origin.

Here is a hyperthetical....

I work for Microsoft and give my employer notice. I then on my day off go to an Apple seminar where there are potentially thousands of clients undecided on what product they prefer. I stand there and promote Apple to all these people. Next day I go back to my desk at Microsoft....

DIEHARD
16-06-10, 02:17 PM
About to head into Lang Park dressed in maroon! I can't wait! Gonna be a classic Origin. It is always odd to be attending a game that isn't a Titans game though.

Mushi
16-06-10, 05:24 PM
Enjoy the game diehard!!! Am sure its gonna be a good one. HOpe all the "off field" dramas settle and all players show up for some good footy. Not feeling too hopeful here but.... GO BLUES!!!!!

DIEHARD
17-06-10, 03:42 AM
QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!

Oh yea that was such a great night, Maroons were unstoppable and the Blose near non existant. Cant wait to catch a replay.

I just got home, so gonna catch some rack time! NIGHT!

DIEHARD
17-06-10, 03:51 AM
Maroons claim 5th straight Origin series

QUEENSLAND won their fifth straight State of Origin series with a comprehensive 34-6 flogging of New South Wales at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane tonight.

And what is really scary for the Blues is the Maroon domination looks set to continue for a long time, with Queensland's young pack of forwards totally in control despite missing Petero Civoniceva and retiring veteran Steve Price.

Israel Folau was effortless against the high ball and added to his first-half try with another in the second, while Cooper Cronk and Willie Tonga also crossed the line in the second half, after Queensland led 16-0 at halftime.

NSW scored a consolation try late in the game through Brett White, but it was nothing but a bittersweet moment for the Blues who not only lost the game, but the brawl as well.

NSW second-rower Luke O'Donnell came in for some Queensland attention when he lifted Boyd into a dangerous tackle before dumping him headfirst into the turf.

From there it was an all-in brawl with players coming from all quarters to take part.

O'Donnell was put on report for the tackle -- described by NSW commentator Phil Gould as a 'dismissable offence' -- but a head butt and punch he threw at David Taylor may also come in for scrutiny.

~lee~
17-06-10, 06:41 AM
Despite being a Blues supporter you have to admire the skill of the Queenslanders, they were better than NSW in every area. God knows why the wingers kept rushing in and up they were just leaving huge space which the Queenslanders exploited every time.

I enjoyed the fights, i think thats one of the most violent Origins i remember watching. Here's to much of the same in Game 3.

shamus
17-06-10, 06:57 AM
I am embarrassed to be a New South Welshman.....absolutely pathetic display by everyone. The exceptions being Hindmarsh and Weyman.

I blame Tahu for the first try, :D and Cooper and Morris had their comedy routine in order. :doh: So all in all I can only imagine you Qlder's are having a good time right now (and will do for some time to come!)

titansrawesome
17-06-10, 09:35 AM
gallen and hindmarsh were the only decent players on nsw, and the BIFF IS NEVER DEAD, cant wait till hodges is back for game 3, maybe then have boyd utility and hodges centre and tonga wing.

Cowboy Titan
17-06-10, 10:06 AM
It looks like O'Donnell will only cop 3 weeks for his spear tackle. Most on the Cowboys forum think he should get much longer than that. He's negotiating a new contract at the moment and I'm sure he won't get what he could be worth due to him being the most suspended player in the NRL over the past 5 years.

Mushi
17-06-10, 04:45 PM
Was an exciting game to watch = due to the biff and intensity but not really the football. QLD as expected played well but NSW were VERY ordinary. I still think they need to stick with a team through the next few years to build up partnerships. Pick a halves pair that is gonna be there for some time to come as well like QLD have. But one for you other blues fans - all the talk is about QLD .... well have they forgotten that NSW made history last night! We r the first team to lose 5 series in a row!!!!! Hmmm, do you think we will make it 6?? :P

DIEHARD
17-06-10, 05:26 PM
We sure are having a great time. So much man love and high fives going on in Caxton St.

But we wanna go for a WHITE WASH!

Steelers
17-06-10, 06:20 PM
Wow... what an embarrassing display by the Blues. To be perfectly honest the major reason the score was so bad was because of the way NSW defended on either side of the park. Cooper and Morris do not do that for the Dragons, and we saw Beau Scott and Monaghan doing the same thing. That had to be a specific tactic devised by the coaching staff. The NSW selectors and coaching staff are a joke, and have virtually given QLD 5 series wins on a platter.

The game was rather boring except for the fights. They were great. To be perfectly honest though, QLD could have chosen any QLD Cup side as their 17 and still beaten the Blues last night.

titansrawesome
17-06-10, 06:20 PM
We sure are having a great time. So much man love and high fives going on in Caxton St.

But we wanna go for a WHITE WASH!

BOLD PREDICTION- we will win 3 or more series in a row after this year.