PDA

View Full Version : Round 12: Gold Coast Titans vs Sydney Roosters

DIEHARD
19-05-10, 10:05 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Sydney Roosters

Gold Coast Titans: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, David Mead, Greg Bird, Scott Prince [c], Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Michael Henderson, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Subs: Matthew White, Brad Meyers, Sam Tagataese, William Zillman.

Sydney Roosters: Todd Carney, Anthony Minichiello, Phil Graham, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Perrett, Braith Anasta [c], Mitchell Pearce, Jason Ryles, Jake Friend, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Mitchell Aubusson, Nate Myles, Frank Paul Nuuausala. Subs: Daniel Conn, Mose Masoe, James Aubusson, Nick Kouparitsas.

DIEHARD
19-05-10, 10:07 PM
We have the BYE this weekend but let's get pumped up for our next game at Skilled Park, a Monday night game against the Roosters.

Boofhead
20-05-10, 01:11 PM
Run with it Carty...!

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Joseph Tomane
5. David Mead
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince (C)
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Greg Bird

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Michael Henderson
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Surfers6
20-05-10, 03:48 PM
Run with it Carty...!

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Joseph Tomane
5. David Mead
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince (C)
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Greg Bird

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Michael Henderson
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Im happy with that run on but i would prefer Tagatese & Thompson instead of Cannings & Henderson on the bench.

Also really looking forward to Esi playing again, I imagine he will push for that centre spot over the next month.

If Mead has a decent pass on him, i wouldnt mind seeing him and Tomane swap.
Mead running the lines like Renouf and Tomane out there like our own version of Vatavai.

curly_11
20-05-10, 04:27 PM
I think cartwright likes to play bird at 5/8 to see how it pans out and then move presto there when the forwards tire a bit and it ables prestos brilliance to come into effect more.

I do like the look of Cannings and Odwyer but Thompson has been killing it and wouldnt even mind if he could start each week for us...

Wouldnt mind resting harrison after origin duty as we are able to this year....

titansrawesome
20-05-10, 04:49 PM
i hope we use the bye to pull finger out because we haven't really great in attack or defense this year, every time a team gets in our half i always feel like they will score in the 1st 3 tackles, and our attack well...... thats all i can say about, don't be happy or content for us just to be in 3rd place we should be aiming higher than that.

TITAN PETE
20-05-10, 04:52 PM
I'd be happy to see Minni having a run for Burleigh for a week or 2

titansrawesome
20-05-10, 05:17 PM

bodene thompson is a monster hint hint

TITAN PETE
20-05-10, 05:42 PM
bodene thompson is a monster hint hint

He is the reason I said that ;)

Boofhead
20-05-10, 07:03 PM

Is it a bad thing that whenever I see Mini hit up the ball I think to myself "don't ****ing drop it!"?

titansrawesome
20-05-10, 08:03 PM
Is it a bad thing that whenever I see Mini hit up the ball I think to myself "don't ****ing drop it!"?

i think that when i see henderson and white hit it up and whenever atkins plays.

GCT_91
20-05-10, 08:04 PM

i think the exact same thing and alot of the time he does

gotitans101
20-05-10, 10:54 PM
I don't have much of an issue with White, I think he's been fairly solid.

It's Mini and Hendo that I worry about...they're just so damn inconsistent, they can have an absolute pearler of a game one week then the next they'll drop the ball every 5 minutes.

I REALLY want to see Cannings back in the side ,and cannot wait for Esi's return!

DIEHARD
23-05-10, 05:22 AM
I know it will be a Monday night game, but we need as many Titans fans there to cheer our boys home.

CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANIND10&searchId=b1259aef-f021-4083-bccc-9a5a11873cd9)

titansrawesome
23-05-10, 10:03 AM
I know it will be a Monday night game, but we need as many Titans fans there to cheer our boys home.

CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANIND10&searchId=b1259aef-f021-4083-bccc-9a5a11873cd9)

might go to this one, believe it or not the roosters were my fav team before titans.

Adelaide Titan
23-05-10, 12:18 PM
at home i think we should get a good win. I remember last time we met with the Roosters....WALKER!!!

Airlie Beach Titan
23-05-10, 01:14 PM

I say the same thing about Tagatese.

DIEHARD
23-05-10, 07:37 PM
I would like to thank the Raiders for beating the Dragons. That will help the Titans in the race to the top!

DIEHARD
23-05-10, 07:53 PM
Wow the Warriors beat the Bunnies as well. Results have gone our way this Round to help us. Coupled with the 2 points for the BYE. We are sitting on equal 1st position.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/round11-mondaytogo.jpg
Monday game to be played.

Supergoose
23-05-10, 10:05 PM
Im happy with that run on but i would prefer Tagatese & Thompson instead of Cannings & Henderson on the bench.

Also really looking forward to Esi playing again, I imagine he will push for that centre spot over the next month.

If Mead has a decent pass on him, i wouldnt mind seeing him and Tomane swap.
Mead running the lines like Renouf and Tomane out there like our own version of Vatavai.

Wow dude, it's like we are in the same wave length. I'm not sure about the whole bench but I do like both Bo and Taga. With that lineup we can run four forwards off the bench. I'm all for the mead and tomane switch, I reckon we'd see better defence and benefits in attack.

Supergoose
23-05-10, 10:16 PM
The big thing with both tagataese and minichiello is their abilities to break a tackle and to put on a big hit. The problem with both is that in trying to break tackles they lose the ball. I also think friend and prince both put too much pressure on them by hitting them too close to the defensive line and the same goes for meyers, Henderson and white - they can't all have bad hands. Cannings, Thompson, tagataese, minichiello and white all give us fairly similar things - how many of those types of players can we carry? Throw o'dwyer into that mix too. Henderson is a classy prop and will come good with some more football under his belt. The pinch is on for spots and with bird thriving in the lock role it adds to that pressure. O'dwyer and tagataese are probably playing for one spot with the others competing for the other 3 spots. Good space for us to be in. Hope we don't lose players like Thompson in the squeeze though.

Surfers6
25-05-10, 09:58 AM
Team gets picks today.
I would love it to look like this.

1 W.Zillman
2 K.Gordon
3 C.Toopi
4 D.Mead
5 J.Tomane
6 G.Bird
7 S.Prince
8 L.Bailey
9 N.Friend
10 B.Meyers
11 A.Laffranchi
12 B.Thompson
13 A.Harrison

14 P.Campbell
15 M.Henderson
16 S.Tagatese
17 M.Minichello

I am still happy if we were to swap Zillman & Campbell.
I just think Campbell offers a bit more starting from the bench.

curly_11
25-05-10, 04:01 PM
1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
Coach John Cartwright

Per Titans website

curly_11
25-05-10, 04:01 PM
TBH im kinda disappointed that thompson has yet again been overlooked. :(

titansrawesome
25-05-10, 04:28 PM
1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
Coach John Cartwright

Per Titans website

i swear no offense but it seem like cartwright never has the nuts to pick a different team.especially after we got destroyed, WE WANT BODENE

Ryan
25-05-10, 05:15 PM
i swear no offense but it seem like cartwright never has the nuts to pick a different team.especially after we got destroyed, WE WANT BODENE
I swear, if Carty 'had the balls' to follow your recommendations every week, we'd have absolutely no partnership combinations, half the players would be dizzy from rotating positions and have absolutely no continuity to build on from any previous games because of the constant chopping and changing.

The team Carty has picked all year currently has us =1st on the ladder ffs.
Only two teams in the competition can say they're in a better position than the Titans, and thats only on for\against. As it stands now, I don't think anybody is in a position to doubt Carty's ability or decision making - the runs are on the board.

titanstattman
25-05-10, 05:17 PM
I swear, if Carty 'had the balls' to follow your recommendations every week, we'd have absolutely no partnership combinations, half the players would be dizzy from rotating positions and have absolutely no continuity to build on from any previous games because of the constant chopping and changing.

Only two teams in the competition can say they're in a better position than the Titans, and thats only on for\against. As it stands now, I don't think anybody is in a position to doubt Carty's ability or decision making - the runs are on the board.

Well ****ing said dude... I argee 100%

Ryan
25-05-10, 05:18 PM
Well ****ing said dude... I argee 100%
Are you feeling ok?

titansrawesome
25-05-10, 06:32 PM

mmk............................................... .................................................. ...
but your also saying that there should be no changes from a team that got smashed the week before? bodene was terrific before he got suspended IMO

DIEHARD
25-05-10, 09:12 PM
Good to see Toopi back! Shame there is no Thompson.

DIEHARD
25-05-10, 09:15 PM
Here is the Chooks team.

Sydney Roosters: Todd Carney, Anthony Minichiello, Phil Graham, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Perrett, Braith Anasta [c], Mitchell Pearce, Jason Ryles, Jake Friend, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Mitchell Aubusson, Nate Myles, Frank Paul Nuuausala. Subs: Daniel Conn, Mose Masoe, James Aubusson, Nick Kouparitsas.

So Pearce is back!

DIEHARD
25-05-10, 09:20 PM
Toopi returns for Roosters clash
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will welcome back experienced centre Clinton Toopi for Monday night's 'Old School' themed clash against the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park.

Toopi missed the club's last-start loss to the Broncos with a niggling knee injury but has been named by Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright to return in the Round 12 clash against the Roosters.

Queensland State of Origin representative Ashley Harrison has also been named for the Titans, provided he comes through tomorrow night's opening Origin match unscathed.

The Titans v Roosters clash is being promoted as an 'Old School' footy night, given it is the first time that foundation NRL club the Roosters have played at Skilled Park and with the match falling on a 'school night'.

The club is encouraging people to get dressed up in school uniform and is offering limited discounted tickets in the Legion section ($17 for an adult or $65 for a family of 4). These tickets are available through Ticketek.

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said Toopi's injury had benefitted from last weekend's bye and would be fit to return against the roosters.

"He probably could have played against the Broncos at a pinch but it was such a short turnaround that he still wasn't 100 per cent sure with his leg so we thought it wise to give him a real decent break and have him fresh for this week,'' said Cartwright.

Toopi made the most of the extra week off by choosing to return to his native New Zealand to see his wife and children, who opted not to move to Australia after the centre was given the chance to play with the Titans in the off-season.

"I was probably about 85 per cent fit going into that Brisbane game but I didn't want to let anyone down so I decided to pull the plug and Carty said to rest up,'' said Toopi.

"I went home for a week and saw the wife and kids so it was good and I'm refreshed now.

"Just to go home and see them was awesome. There was a lot of home economics, folding clothes, washing clothes, bathing - the old stuff,'' he laughed.''

The Titans have a strong record against the Roosters, having won three of the four matches played between the two clubs since 2007.

However, the winning margin on those three occasions was just four points.

The Titans NRL and NYC squads to take on the Roosters are listed below.

Titans v Roosters
Skilled Park, 7pm
Monday, May 31

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman

Coach John Cartwright

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Adelaide Titan
25-05-10, 09:34 PM
1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Brad Meyers
16 Sam Tagataese
17 William Zillman
Coach John Cartwright

Per Titans website

decent squad, very strong!

DIEHARD
26-05-10, 02:32 AM
Toopi adds extra spark to Gold Coast Titans

THE Titans will be given an injection of experience on Monday night with former Kiwi-international Clinton Toopi recalled for their important clash with the Roosters at Skilled Park.

Granted a career lifeline by the Gold Coast club in January, the former Warriors game-breaker had brought an extra spark to the side as a replacement for injured star Mat Rogers.

In three matches, Toopi has crossed the line as many times and formed a fierce combination on the left-hand edge with young flyer Kevin Gordon.

With Toopi raring to go, the availability of ironman Queensland lock Ashley Harrison remains the only question mark, with his selection subject to how he pulls through tonight's opening State of Origin.

Forced out of their last start loss to Brisbane with a calf complaint, last weekend's bye and the 22-day turnaround since Toopi's last outing against the Knights has the 30-year-old fresh for his return.

But after a quick trip home to his family in New Zealand, the 24-Test veteran said he would take some confidence out of his recall and the faith shown by coach John Cartwright.

"There's always a good feeling knowing that if you take a rest the coach is willing to put you back in there," said Toopi yesterday.

"The knee is good to go, it was more my calf, that was 85 per cent going into the Brisbane game and I didn't want to let anyone down."

Toopi's recall is the only change for the Titans, with Josh Graham moving on to a six-man bench which also includes Bodene Thompson. The Titans go into Monday night's match equal with pacesetters the Dragons and Penrith on 16 competition points.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
26-05-10, 04:16 AM
Pearce returns for Roosters

He may have missed the boat for Origin I, but Sydney Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce will get his chance to push for a NSW recall when he returns from injury on Monday night.

Thought to be a frontrunner for the Blues No.7 jumper before suffering a shoulder injury in the Anzac Day loss to St George Illawarra, Pearce go head to head with another Origin omission in Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince at Skilled Park.

The return of Pearce will see Todd Carney revert to fullback, while the Titans welcome back former New Zealand centre Clinton Toopi.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

titanstattman
26-05-10, 09:52 AM
Are you feeling ok?

Yeah why u ask?????

titanstattman
26-05-10, 09:56 AM
[U]
Toopi's recall is the only change for the Titans, with Josh Graham moving on to a six-man bench which also includes [B]Bodene Thompson. The Titans go into Monday night's match equal with pacesetters the Dragons and Penrith on 16 competition points.

So BO is back 6 man bench will be interesting.

And this is the 1st time the roosters have played at skilled and 1st time since 2007 at carrara

DIEHARD
27-05-10, 04:14 PM
Titans v Roosters
Skilled Park Monday 7pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/titansvsroosters.jpg

Usually when we use the phrase ?under the radar? in the NRL, it is somehow connected to Manly, as their coach Des Hasler wants everything to do with his side related as such ? but it could most certainly also apply to the Gold Coast Titans as they quietly go about their business.

Sure, the side lost in their last start to Brisbane. Sure, they are on the sixth line of betting at around $12 to win the title? but the Titans are running third without really hitting their potential and should be considered a real shot at glory come October 3.

With the benefit of the bye behind them and just Ashley Harrison backing up post-Origin, the Gold Coast enters this clash against the Roosters in good shape. They could even end up leading the competition with a victory, should the Dragons and Penrith fail to win over the weekend.

Clinton Toopi has recovered from injury to take his place in the centres, meaning Josh Graham misses out.

The Roosters also come into this match rested from the bye ? but hurting from a last-start loss to Newcastle. The side is outside the top eight on percentages, making these mid-season games crucial for their finals fight.

In welcome news, halfback Mitchell Pearce returns from injury, which sees Todd Carney back to fullback, Anthony Minichiello onto the wing, Phil Graham moving into the centres and Ben Jones missing out.

In other changes, Jake Friend will start at hooker, with James Aubusson to impact from the bench; Lopini Paea is out and replaced by Mose Masoe; and Aidan Guerra is also missing with Nick Kouparitsas back into the line-up.

Barring injury, Nate Myles will be expected to back up from Origin.

Watch out Titans: The home side have conceded the most kick-return line-breaks in the NRL with five ? or one every two games ? and with Todd Carney returning to fullback for the Roosters, their chances to attack from the back look more realistic than over the past few weeks. Look for Carney to link up with Anthony Minichiello and Sam Perrett should the opportunity present. Minichiello might be back on the wing, but he loves playing big games against his brother Mark, so he?ll be hunting for the ball.

The Titans must provide good kick-chase ? otherwise they could be chasing their tails straight back up the field.

Watch out Roosters: Scott Prince might be looking to chance his hand from mid range this Monday given the Roosters are the worst side in the NRL at conceding tries from between 21 and 50 metres.

The Roosters have had defensive lapses in this section of the field to the tune of 14 tries put past them, as they fail to scramble quickly enough to prevent breaks becoming tries.

The Titans have scored nine tries from this range so far in 2010, making them the fifth best side in the competition. With this in mind Brian Smith will be telling his men to be switched on defensively at all times, in all sections of the field.

Where it will be won: This looks likely to be decided across the key positions of 1, 6, 7 and 9. With both teams sporting fullbacks who chime in as playmakers, hookers who like to get ?dirty? defensively, five-eighths who are equally at home at lock, and out-and-out old-school halfbacks, it will be the quartet who fires that gets the result for their side.

At fullback it?s Preston Campbell v Todd Carney. Both love to add a dimension as playmakers and are hard to tackle.

Campbell is averaging 61 metres a match running and 163 metres kicking, while he has posted four line-breaks, a line-break assist, three tries, three try assists, 31 tackle-breaks and five offloads.

Carney averages 98 metres running, 140 metres kicking and has seven line-breaks, eight line-break assists, six tries, six try assists, 49 tackle-breaks and 14 offloads.

At hooker it is the two Friends ? Nathan for the Titans and Jake for the Roosters. Nathan averages 53 metres running, has a line-break, four line-break assists, seven try assists and pulls off 42 tackles a match. Jake, only just back into first grade is starting his first match after two from the bench where he averaged 18 tackles and produced a line-break assist.

Now to the halves: the Titans pairing of Greg Bird and Scott Prince up against the Roosters? Braith Anasta and Mitchell Pearce. All four have played Origin football (although none are in this week?s showcase). Bird is running for 106 metres, kicking for 89 metres and has two line-breaks, four line-break assists, three tries, four try assists, 30 tackle-breaks and 24 offloads while his opposite Anasta is running for 43 metres, kicking 142 metres and has posted two line-breaks, six line-break assists, two tries, five try assists, 17 tackle-breaks and six offloads.

As for Prince, the Titans? general only runs for 33 metres a match ? but kicks for a mammoth 450 metres each game. He has a line-break, six line-break assists, two tries and six try assists.

Pearce, returning from injury with the knowledge he probably would?ve played Wednesday night if fit, averages 57 metres running and 272 metres kicking. So far his numbers read three line-breaks, seven line-break assists, five tries and seven try assists.

The history: Played 4; Titans 3, Roosters 1. The Roosters won the first encounter between the two clubs but since then it has been all Gold Coast, with the Titans grabbing three consecutive wins.

Surprisingly this is the first time the two sides will meet at Skilled Park. The winning margin for all four games has been six or less points, so perhaps a close game looms.

Conclusion: Tough to tip against the Titans at home but the Roosters are a good chance here.

If you are feeling particularly adventurous you could go for the upset but the lean is certainly towards the Gold Coast. A lot rests on Pearce and his ability to be at his best after a lay-off.

Match officials: Referees ? Jared Maxwell & Steve Lyons; Sideline Officials ? David Abood & Michael Wise; Video Ref ? Paul Simpkins.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 7pm

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
27-05-10, 04:21 PM
NRL.com tipped against us at home!!!

karnage
27-05-10, 09:02 PM
NRL.com tipped against us at home!!!

I don't read it that way Diehard - they are 'leaning' toward the Titans but would not be surprised by an upset.

Personally, I feel that normal service will be resumed on Monday night and we will get the two competition points by 4 - 12 points.

The Monday night fixture gives us all the chance to become Parramatta (my most hated team) fans and Rabbitohs (worst halves in the entire comp) fans for one weekend only.

If Parra, the Rabbitohs and Titans win the ladder will look like this:

1. GCT - 18 points
2. STG - 16 points
3. PEN - 16 points

A Manly win would see them join the Panthers and Dragons on 16 but obviously it would not stop us leading outright.

If the Dragons do win a win becomes imperative for us because they are 8 wins and we are only 7 heading into this weekend as they are yet to have their first bye.

DIEHARD
27-05-10, 11:28 PM
Thanks for that Karnage. I'll be cheering for Souths and Parra as well! It would be some achievement to be leading the competiton outright after 12 rounds.

DIEHARD
28-05-10, 12:31 AM
Gold Coast Titans v Sydney Roosters
Monday, Skilled Park, 7pm

Referees: Jared Maxwell and Steve Lyons
Head to head: Titans 3, Roosters 1
Last clash: Titans 24-20 at Bluetongue Stadium (rd 14, 2009)
TAB SportsBet: Titans $1.40, Roosters $2.90
FootyTab: Roosters +6.5

Both teams had the bye in the last round, and they each desperately needed it. The Roosters had lost two in a row, against the Cowboys and the Knights, without threatening too much in either game. The Titans lost heavily to the Broncos at their last start, after only just falling in for a win over the Knights in the previous round. The Titans are sitting third, with seven wins and three losses, but their defensive record is ordinary. They have conceded an average of 21.7 points per game.

The Roosters have struggled without injured halfback Mitchell Pearce, but he returns for this game. They have lacked direction in his absence, and too much pressure has been put on Todd Carney in the playmaking department as a result. They are likely to become much more stable again with Pearce back. The Roosters have slipped just outside of the top eight, and need to steady the ship as the halfway mark of the season approaches. But it's going to be tough for them at Skilled Park, where the Titans have an impressive record.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
28-05-10, 12:43 AM
PEARCE EYEING CLASH OF THE TITANS

Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith will give injured halfback Mitchell Pearce until the eleventh hour to prove his fitness ahead of Monday night's match against the Gold Coast Titans.

"Mitch has got to get through a couple of things during the week but it's looking pretty good," Smith said of the 21-year-olds imminent return on Roosters TV.

The talented pivot fractured his left shoulder in the ANZAC Day match and has remained sidelined since, which has coincided with his side's slip from the top half of the competition ladder.

Pearce, who was on the verge of State of Origin selection for game I, has endured a frustrating stint on the sidelines watching his team fall back to the pack.

"Getting injured is never good but when it happened it wasn't ideal," Pearce lamented.

"The disappointing thing about it was is the timing of it all. We were building towards something really good and me being out forced some changes.

"Hopefully I will come back in this week and take some of the pressure off. (The shoulder) feels pretty good and I'm confident I can prove myself before Monday night," he said.

His inclusion in the starting side changes the backline to how it was before injury struck.

He will partner Braith Anasta in the halves once more with Todd Carney shifting back to fullback, forcing former custodian Anthony Minichiello to the wing, allowing Phil Graham to slot into the centres with Ben Jones making way.

The changes will see the three prong strike attack reunite with Pearce conscious that scoring tries needs to be their main focus against the third placed Titans, who have dropped just one game at home in 2010.

"They are tough up there, everyone knows that," the halfback stated.

"Our key will be getting that cohesion back in attack. We know we are capable of putting points on but we need to click sooner rather than later.

"The 16 day break has helped get the feeling back. It's allowed us to get two good extra sessions in and I know all the boys are feeling better for it."

Source: http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au

DIEHARD
28-05-10, 07:14 AM
Tomane's race to face Roosters

BIG Gold Coast Titans recruit Joseph Tomane could be forced out of Monday night's clash with the Roosters as he battles a hamstring injury.

A decision on Tomane will be made today but the likelihood of the 20-year-old playing looks slim after he struggled to find full speed at a training session yesterday afternoon.

Titans strength and condition coach Chris McLellan said Tomane was suffering the pain into his right hamstring, brought about by a lower back complaint.

Josh Graham, who played his first game of the season in the Titans' last outing against Brisbane, will move into the starting side if Tomane is ruled out.

The Titans have dropped just three games and face a Roosters side welcoming back playmaker Mitchell Pearce from a knee injury.

DIEHARD
29-05-10, 05:11 AM
Fox Sports NRL Bets for Round 12

Bet 4: $15 @ $2.66 on NRL multi: WESTS TIGERS -6.5 (v Warriors), $1.90 + GOLD COAST TITANS to win (v Sydney Roosters), $1.40

Gold Coast Titans continue to go under people's radar. They are currently equal top of the ladder with seven wins from 10 games. Despite this, they had only one player in Origin Game I, Ashley Harrison. They have won their last three matches against the Roosters but all three wins were by exactly four points. With that in mind, we will tip them just to win and not worry about covering any start. The Roosters are not massive fans of Monday Night Football, losing seven of their eight matches since 2007. By contrast, the Titans have won their last three MNF matches and we hope they can make it four matches in a row.

Source: Fox Sports

DIEHARD
29-05-10, 10:52 AM
Well welcome to a wet Saturday morning. Gave me worry about Monday. I sat through a rain soaked Test Match recently and would rather avoid the rain. And besides I want to see a great crowd and some open football out there.

Here is the current weather...

Saturday: Cloudy with rain areas. Possible late thunderstorm in the south. A cool day with light to moderate SW to NW winds.
Sunday: Fine.
Monday: Fine.

DIEHARD
29-05-10, 11:07 AM
Titans v Roosters Game notes

- The Titans have won their past three matches against the Roosers

- The Roosters have not won on the Gold Coast since 1997.

- The Titans have won 15 of their past 18 games at Skilled Park.

- The Roosters have lost their past four Monday night games.

Mushi
29-05-10, 03:27 PM
All sounds positive to me!! Lets go Titans! I would rather a win by more than 4 points this time too :)

karnage
29-05-10, 11:46 PM
MOnday night fine will mean fricking freezing!!!

Just bought a sweet looking Titans hoodie and I'm thinking it might get a run on Monday night. Dragons have foiled any chance of being top of the ladder and we look vulnerable I wreckon with Tomane in doubt.

Don't care if we win by only 1 - we need to get back in the winners list!!

DIEHARD
30-05-10, 05:26 AM
Pearce next Alf or Joey - Beetson

RUGBY league Immortal Arthur Beetson has given young Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce the ultimate compliment by comparing him to NSW legend Andrew Johns.

The stunning praise came before Pearce's much-anticipated comeback from a shoulder injury tomorrow night against the Gold Coast Titans.

The match could resurrect Pearce's Origin career, while ending that of Blues incumbent Brett Kimmorley.

Pearce hasn't played in over a month and his return couldn't be more timely as Blues selectors ponder an overhaul of the line-up for Origin II at Suncorp Stadium on June 16.

However, Kurt Gidley is favoured to wear the Blues No 7 jumper alongside Sharks five-eighth Trent Barrett.

But Pearce can change all that, starting with a big performance against the Titans.

Beetson suggested the only way the Blues could save the series was by selecting the 21-year-old Pearce at halfback.

"I should be happy, but I am not," said Beetson, who played and coached the Maroons between 1980-1990.

"NSW can't beat Queensland with that side and it is not good for Origin. It is not what Origin used to be and we need NSW to be more competitive.

"It helps if you have a bloke like Johnathan Thurston, and Mitchell Pearce can be every bit as good as him.

"They are mad if they don't pick him. He is going to be the long-term halfback and I'll tell you know he will be up there with Andrew Johns and Alfie Langer when he finishes his career. That's how good he is. We will be talking about him like we talk about those two."

Two years ago, Pearce was the baby-faced Blues halfback plucked from obscurity to save our state.

"I look back now and think that I was too young," Pearce told The Sunday Telegraph.

And it's with the similar honesty that he warned under-fire Blues selectors against thrusting him back into the NSW hot seat too early.

"Queensland were really good, they've got some great players, but I thought NSW competed really well," Pearce said.

"I think they've got a lot of improvement in them. I think it's [criticism] unfair on the players.

"They would be stupid to change the side.

"I felt Kimmorley and (Michael) Ennis and Jamie Lyon played really well considering. I thought they did some good things.

"They've come under some critcism, but I think they deserve another chance.

"That's the side that won game three last year, so I'm sure those boys will bounce back.

"They'll be the ones that know what they have to improve on, nobody else."

Pearce was 19 when he made his NSW debut alongside Braith Anasta in the 2008 series decider, which Queensland won 16-10.

Former Roosters coach Brad Fittler last week said Pearce's Origin initiation came before his time, something the Roosters star acknowledged.

"It was two years ago," Pearce said.

"I look back and think I was too young, but that's how it was. I took my chance and I'd like another opportunity. I suppose everyone likes to play in that arena.

"Every year seems to be going so quick now, it seems like a long time ago. But this year has been the most enjoyable year I've had so far playing first grade.

"I'm playing with a great bunch of blokes and a very good coach, I just have to focus on getting back on top for the Roosters.

"Before I was injured I was hoping to be part of State of Origin, but injuries are part of footy and it wasn't to be for that game so I've just got back to worrying about Monday night and playing for the Roosters."

The Roosters form slump - they have won two games in five weeks - has been linked heavily to the absence of Pearce.

But the son of former Balmain legend Wayne Pearce - who won Origin series as captain and coach - claimed it was up to the entire playing group to lift their game.

'It's got nothing to do with me [being out injured]," Pearce said.

"I just think we've had a down couple of weeks. A couple of games when I was playing we were down as well.

"The bye has been good for everyone. We know what we need to improve on and we'll work hard to get back up the top of the ladder again."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au

heidstar
30-05-10, 01:57 PM
might go to this one, believe it or not the roosters were my fav team before titans.

after being a supporter of the seagulls,giants and chargers.and after the collapse of the GC team.i had no choice to be a supporter of the broncos for many years....nobody believes you can just change your fav team like that,but something about the gold coast and the titans...they draw you in,and you seem to want to change teams again...roosters to titans...good move i say!!!!

member since 2008!!! titan fan forever!!!!!

karnage
30-05-10, 02:19 PM
Those Arthur Beetson comments about Pearce are absolute rubbish. He can improve 300% and he still won't be as good as Prince or Cronk let alone up in the upper echelons with Johns / Langer / Thurston.

Every time that bloke opens his mouth he sounds more and more like a joke.

DIEHARD
30-05-10, 02:31 PM
Well look how Langer ripped it up at such a young age at Origin level.

Beetson may be an Immortal but some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is rubbish.

Maybe he has wraps on him from when Beetson used to be with the Roosters.

DIEHARD
30-05-10, 02:45 PM
NSW selectors "painted into a corner"

Alarm bells may be ringing on the Gold Coast ahead of Sydney Roosters No.7 Mitchell Pearce's NRL return on Monday night under the watchful eyes of NSW selectors.

But Titans coach John Cartwright said Blues selectors had "painted themselves in a corner", making it tough to pick Pearce for June 16's Origin II.

Pearce will be keen to impress in his first game in five weeks due to a shoulder injury - especially with NSW incumbent No.7 Brett Kimmorley feeling the heat.

Titans skipper Scott Prince said on Sunday the classy halfback's return had sounded "alarm bells for our defensive line".

"Before he got injured he was tipped to be the No.7 for the Blues so with him back it adds to their kicking game - obviously there are danger signs," he said.

However, Cartwright believed NSW's beaten Origin I side had to be given another chance after claiming Blues selectors had prematurely played the loyalty card.

Even if that means some of his high profile Titans chargers - including in-form pivot Greg Bird - were overlooked again for Origin II at Brisbane.

"They (NSW selectors) have painted themselves in a corner saying they are going to stick with the side they named first," ex-NSW backrower Cartwright said on Sunday.

"They (NSW Origin I side) deserve a chance to redeem themselves.

"That's a tough one for the selectors to have put themselves in that position." However, an ankle injury suffered by NSW's Origin I pivot Jamie Lyon this weekend may yet change everything.

Both Cartwright and Prince backed Bird for a NSW nod.

Bird will be full of confidence against the Roosters after the Titans confirmed on Sunday they had extended his contract until the end of the 2011 season.

With only Ash Harrison (Queensland) backing up from Origin I, Cartwright almost credited their lack of representative stars with their impressive 2010 record (7-3; equal 2nd).

"It's the toughest part of the year but touch wood we haven't had many injuries and not many players in rep sides so that is a positive for us," he said.

"I think it (representative snub) says a lot about us as a side.

"They work very hard for each other which means you don't get many standouts." And Cartwright wasn't losing too much sleep over his own NSW claims after being linked with the Blues coaching job held by the besieged Craig Bellamy.

"It's a tough ask. Origin is very intense," Cartwright said of juggling NRL and Origin coaching duties.

"You'd think about it once the question was put to you.

"But it's not at the forefront of my mind." Cartwright said Bellamy was being made a scapegoat for NSW being in sight of losing five straight series.

"They are up against a red-hot Queensland side full of confidence," he said.

"They are tough to beat, I think that is what everyone is forgetting.

"If they (NSW) win they get it right and if they lose they have to blame someone." Meanwhile, Josh Graham replaces Joseph Tomane (hamstring) in the Titans centres.

http://news.smh.com.au/

DIEHARD
30-05-10, 02:47 PM
Bird sets sights on payback

REFORMED bad boy Greg Bird has outlined his dream to win a premiership at the Titans after clinching a new deal with the club and scoring a $150,000 pay rise.

In a major coup for the Titans ahead of tomorrow night's clash against the Roosters at Skilled Park, the club has handed Bird a lucrative 12-month extension - keeping the former Test enforcer on the Gold Coast for 2011.

It is understood Bird's upgraded contract is worth $250,000, a marked increase on the $100,000 lifeline he accepted from the Titans to resurrect his career in the NRL this season.

Bird, who escaped a jail term on appeal last year, has been a revelation at five-eighth for the Titans, helping transform the club into a bona fide title contender alongside halves partner Scott Prince.

And the 26-year-old warned NRL rivals his best was yet to come as he attempts to repay the Gold Coast's faith by leading them to a watershed title.

"I guess it's a good safety net for me, I've had a bit of a dodgy reputation that has stuck to me but hopefully it's all behind me. I love it up here and the team is going great, hopefully we can keep improving and be the dominant team in Queensland.

"I was always hoping to stay here. The Titans brought me back and gave me the lifeline I needed. I'm in a good place and it's a great club. I just want to repay their loyalty now. My best is still to come."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 12:25 PM
Minichiello brothers fight for bragging rights

THE head-to-head scorecard reads like a big brother playing bully.

But Anthony Minichiello knows the stakes will be vastly different when he faces brother Mark on the Gold Coast tonight.

The Roosters' Anthony holds bragging rights with a 3-0 record in games between the siblings.

However, those victories came when Mark was playing for the rebuilding Rabbitohs, and not the high-flying Titans.

"We got them every time when he was at Souths [who were struggling] and we were going through a good period, but now it's sort of the Titans who are going though a good period, so it will be a tough game, especially up there," Anthony said.

The Green Valley brothers - who are two years apart - don't like to play mind games with each other off the field.

"But on the field it's a different story," Anthony said.

"We have a bit of fun, you know. You never know what could happen."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 12:25 PM
Hopefully Mark can score a decisive win over his brother Anthony tonight!

Boofhead
31-05-10, 01:01 PM
I didn't even pick up on Tomane being ruled out until I looked at the betting and saw Josh Graham there. Would like to see Mead attack on the inside of Graham in this one.

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 06:32 PM
At the game. Legion has a new massive drum. Sounds like a thunderstorm

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 06:38 PM
Titans win the coin toss. Good omen!

bigjim
31-05-10, 08:02 PM
Half time 18/16 to the Roosters.
Ref is killing us. The Roosters are lying all over our players and really slowing down the play.
And what was the penalty for that lead to that first try. Please don't tell me it was for the tackle on the kicker.

Mind you, it wouldn't be a bad thing if the Titans would stop defending like a pack of girls. What I'm seeing is a very skilful team with a very soft underbelly.

Come on boys, get a bit of steal in your game.:fight: :fight:

patskE
31-05-10, 08:23 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
boof has 2 many penaltys in him, it kills us tbh
boys showing no need to get on the ball once its on the ground
and just silly mistakes...
cant watch no more lol

gotitans101
31-05-10, 08:34 PM
why can't the titans hold on to the ball?

1min after I typed that, Mini loses the ball, again.

What did the boys do with their week off?

titansrawesome
31-05-10, 08:35 PM
titans suck, they deserve to be last, they are the ****test team in the comp, any win we have we dont deserve because titans suck.

matti
31-05-10, 08:39 PM
Now this is were im going to say... why should i support a team when they cant even play a game, they get paid crap loads of money to drop drop drop the ball every min. Waste my night yet again

titansrawesome
31-05-10, 08:44 PM
Now this is were im going to say... why should i support a team when they cant even play a game, they get paid crap loads of money to drop drop drop the ball every min. Waste my night yet again

and finally someone agrees with me, everything about the 2010 titans is horrible. no escuse for this crap, and john cartwright never drops the ****e players like minnechello,white,meyers,henderson,graham

gotitans101
31-05-10, 08:44 PM
You'd think with the week off their defense would have been addressed, but it's still just SO soft. Drop balls every time we make it into the Roosters end completely killed any hope of winning this game too.

That second half by the Titans was just as bad as the 13th placed Bulldogs in their first half against Melbourne, until we fix our defensive issues and STOP DROPPING THE BALL expect us to slump down the ladder.

matti
31-05-10, 08:49 PM
I think john C needs to make an example, bence mini and graham for a week or 2, im sure there are others that would love to come in and prove themselfs

titansrawesome
31-05-10, 08:50 PM
You'd think with the week off their defense would have been addressed, but it's still just SO soft. Drop balls every time we make it into the Roosters end completely killed any hope of winning this game too.

careful mate, all of us who bag the crappy titans might get banned or verbally assaulted by the moderators and whatnot. and this goes to show that changing a bad team isnt bad like i said then i got criticized.

titansrawesome
31-05-10, 08:51 PM
I think john C needs to make an example, bence mini and graham for a week or 2, im sure there are others that would love to come in and prove themselfs

you need to fdrop more players then that

matti
31-05-10, 08:54 PM
Price played blood great, just the team let him down, well down for mead in the first 20min. Laff needs to stop giving away penelties. When does dwyer come back to replace mini or grahem

gotitans101
31-05-10, 08:55 PM
careful mate, all of us who bag the crappy titans might get banned or verbally assaulted by the moderators and whatnot. and this goes to show that changing a bad team isnt bad like i said then i got criticized.

I'm not saying they're bad, terrible, crap etc...They'll always be my team, but that performance along with the Broncs game 2 weeks ago, was awful, nobody can deny that, not even a dedicated Titans fan!

titansrawesome
31-05-10, 08:56 PM
I'm not saying they're bad, terrible, crap etc...They'll always be my team, but that performance along with the past few weeks has been awful, nobody, not even a dedicated Titans fan, can deny that.

i bet john cartwright will say the usual stupid stuff like we never gave up, we gave it our best blah blah blah, as you can tell by now im really pissed off.

jimbeam06
31-05-10, 10:03 PM
They need a change of coach next season and get rid of some dead wood. iv been a titan fan + nrl fan for the last 2 years and seen the same **** for the past 2 years. Try and play through the middle only play out to the sides every now and then we let the other team make up alot of ground were we only get halfway. Now i know im not up with the game yet but getting there. I find the way we play very frustrating and hard to watch.

bigjim
31-05-10, 10:04 PM
What I saw was a team that was being slow down in the ruck by players being laid on and a ref that allowed it to happen. Slow play by Titans allows the defensive team to get all over them giving them no time to make the right decisions.
Some ref decisions killed any momentum that might have been gained.
That pass by Preston Campbell that was called forward, can be seen to have clearly travelled backward before floating forward. I find it infuriating that this pass was called forward yet multiple flat passes by the Roosters were rewarded with tries.:doh:

bigjim
31-05-10, 10:12 PM
For those who suggest we need a change of coach or need to drop some of our best players in the coming weeks need to get real.

Quite simply, the team we have is good enough to win the competition.
The problem is our game plan. When an opposing team counters our natural game, we seem to have a shortage of other ideas. This seems to be particularly obvious when a team lies on the tackled player and slows play down and then rushes our offence.

On these occasions they need to kick early in the count. Concentrate on getting field position and forget about trying to score on every run. A little patience wouldn't go astray.

matti
31-05-10, 10:54 PM
how is it? mini keeps dropping the ball everytime he gets it, laff is giving away penalties every tackle. our defence is terrible. This happens every week, im sure most are on 100k and they dont even deserve that

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 11:31 PM

That's crap. We've never banned anyone for voicing an opinion, no matter how pissweak and baseless it may be. This is the most open and free Official NRL team forum you will find.

No one is as disappointed in the Titans as I am, I think we ALL are. It was just painful and embarrassing with flashes of amazing brilliance. Princey was awesome and with Mead's triple, it looked like we were in for a good night.

But the fans did not give up and The Legion cheered until the end and I'm proud of that.

It's going to be painful to watch a replay and this has taken alot of energy out of our exhausted fans.

I hope we can get our season back on track in Canberra. We have never won there.

DIEHARD
31-05-10, 11:33 PM
Titans fall to Roosters at home

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have suffered a disappointing 30-16 defeat at the hands of the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park this evening.

It was a tough night for the Titans, losing only their second home match of the season at Skilled Park in front of a Monday night crowd of 13,235.

The Titans started off on fire and looked at their dangerous best, scoring two quick tries in the first ten minutes to lead 10-nil.

Winger David Mead had an impressive first half scoring a hat-trick of tries as the team looked strong early.

However, they were unable to go on with the job despite a determined effort by five-eighth Greg Bird as the Titans were held scoreless in the second half.

Titans coach John Cartwright was disappointed with the teams performance.

“We were very ordinary tonight especially at stages of the contest where we weren’t up to NRL standard,'' he said.

“We came in tonight fresh off the bye and were expecting to play a lot better than that.

“Coaches drive you mad talking about missed opportunities but tonight it was all about the little opportunities we missed.”

The Titans trailed 18-16 at halftime and it was the Roosters who struck first, with halfback Mitchell Pearce putting Mitchell Aubusson through a yawning gap as he sprinted away and passed back inside for Shaun Kenny-Dowall to score his second of the night.

Todd Carney converted as the Roosters extended their half-time lead to 24-16, in the 50th minute.

The Titans had opportunities over the final 30 minutes but were unable to convert as lock Frank Paul Nuuausala exploded over the tryline for his second of the night.

Titans captain Scott Prince said a lack of composure and inconsistency cost them a victory.

“At times there tonight we really could have built some pressure but we forced the sneaky passes that didn't stick to players hands,'' he said.

“Off the back of that our defence was off as well and when the Roosters got a sniff they drove through us.

“At the end of it I think we really gifted them the win this evening which is disappointing.”

It was the Titans who opened the scoring as an attempt to bat the ball back by the Roosters was scooped up by a charging Luke Bailey, who ran 20 metres before offloading for winger Mead to go in under the posts.

Prince converted as the Titans took a 6-0 lead, just four minutes in.

It was too easy for the Titans as Prince took the line on and dummied before offloading to an unmarked Mead to score his second of the night in the corner extending the Titans early lead to 10-0, nine minutes in.

The Titans looked strong in defence until the Roosters gained back-to-back sets on their tryline, capitalising off a penalty late in the tackle count as Anasta flicked a ball back inside for Kenny-Dowall to muscle his way over after 15 minutes.

The Titans were again under pressure as a perfectly timed pop pass back on the inside from Roosters centre Phil Graham was enough for veteran winger Anthony Minichiello to hit and spin his way over the tryline, narrowing the margin to 10-8 after 23 minutes.

The bounce of the ball then went in favour of the visitors as fullback Preston Campbell sweated on an awkward bouncing ball to find the sideline before it was pounced on by Roosters lock Frank Paul Nuuausala who snuck away with the try.

Carney failed to convert as the Roosters took the lead for the first time in the match 12-10, in the 27th minute.

The Titans were again on the defensive as they were on the receiving end of some stiff penalties that allowed for Anasta to barge his way over from dummy half.

Carney converted his first conversion of the night as the Roosters took a healthy 18-10 lead after 37 minutes..

The Titans gained a boost before the break though when a beautiful offload from Greg Bird sparked some life into their attack down the left side of the field before Prince put in a perfectly timed bomb for Mead to score his third try of the evening in the opposite corner.

Prince nailed the conversion from the sideline as the Roosters held a narrow 18-16 lead in to half-time.

However, the scoring ended there for the home side as the Roosters registered their second ever win against the Titans.

Sydney Roosters 30 ( S Kenny-Dowall 2, A Minichiello, F Paul Nuaausala 2, B Anasta; T Carney 3 goals) defeated the Gold Coast Titans 16 ( D Mead 3 tries; S Prince 2 goals)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Ryan
01-06-10, 06:40 AM
For those who suggest we need a change of coach or need to drop some of our best players in the coming weeks need to get real.

Yeh, we're sitting =2nd on the ladder and people are calling for the coaches head. Far out, I swear I feel dumber everytime I read this forum :duh2:

Titans didn't make anymore errors than the Roosters, but they did miss more tackles again. However the errors were made at critical times. Buggered if I know how you bench players for errors out of that game, because the 12 errors were spread across 10 different players.....

Supergoose
01-06-10, 06:51 AM
Wow, we made the roosters look like he-man from masters of the universe! Is Kenny-dowall the strongest centre in the nrl? He looked like it last night and our forwardsgot embarrassed by the roosters. The one-sided comentary made it almost unbearable as the titans fumbled their way out of the contest. Our defense was marshmallow like and the attack at times looked dangerous and threatening only to misfire and fizzle out with an error.

We need our first string centres back. It's quite obvious that the halves are going to our wingers because they don't back our centres. Prince was great in the first half and got no opportunity in the second half as the error count mounted. Campbell had a better second half and bird was great all game. Tagataese was okay off the bench but didn't get much time and Bailey played well. Gordon and zillman didn't get much opportunity but did little wrong. Mead was awesome in attack and woeful in defense. Henderson and meyers were strong but threw in a few handling errors. Friend looked like his mind was somewhere else as he failed to get to dummy half on occassions. The much celebrated backrow was our major problem as they threw in error after error and penalty after penalty. Harrison was the worst of the origin players who backed up this weekend and he had the most recovery time. Minichiello dropped more than he caught and failed to have an impact and tagataese showed him up, and laffranchi looked frustrated and gave away too many penalties. Toopi and graham were non-factors and white did nothing. There must now be changes. We have been poor all year even though we have been winning. Imagine if Todd carney had played well last night, we wouldve got totally smashed. Frank-Paul the wrecking ball was fantastic and showed our pack how to play (with bird a notable exception as he was our best forward last night by a mile).

In short, the backrow, has gotten too comfortable and needs to be shaken up. We need our strike centres back. We also need carty to hook players when they make back-to- back errors. I have laffranchi in my fantasy teams and he delivered for meagain last night, but I really wanted him taken off the field last night as he had brain explosion after brain explosion (after he'd had a pretty good start).

lonegull
01-06-10, 07:03 AM
i totally agree with all what supergoose has wrote, i think our backrow has become complacent and need a shake up, very disappointed with the effort put in by the titans, Bird was th eonly one who went forward, I think we need to have a look at our game plan as well it is to structured, anyway hope all turns around for next week otherwiae the raiders will put 50 on us

curly_11
01-06-10, 08:04 AM
I actually turned the last 15 minutes of the game off.

Are we the stupidest team going around in the NRL? What the hell were they doing? Im a fan of Carty but hell give your old mate ricky a call Carty and ask for some tips on suring up our defence!

Supergooose summed the game up pretty well and certain players need to address their games. I know one or two decisions went against us with the first roosters try and there was a bad forward pass from kouparitis who let the roosters prop score next to the posts but it is the same problems we have had since day 1. Attitude, defence and poor forwards. :helpme:

Henderson is shocking, Mini is an error machine and Boof is going through a bad patch. Cant really blame Graham or Mead too much last night because we were dominated in the ruck and the play of the balls which puts our defence on the backfoot and slowed our line speed down which let them create so much space out wide.

I seriously wouldnt mind Carty dropping 1 or 2 players and bring some fresh blood into the squad. Bring in O'dwyer, Cannings, Thompson and Marshall Chalk!

On a positive note and yet again Congratulations to Prince, Bird, Friend and Bailey for great individual displays. Also congrats to mead on his hatrick.

TO CARTY: I DONT CARE IF YOU NEED TO TAKE A CRICKET BAT TO THEIR ASSES AND SIT THEM DOWN IN A CLASSROOM. PLEASE TEACH THEM TO BECOME MEN AND LEARN HOW TO FREAKING TACKLE! :fight:

titansrawesome
01-06-10, 08:15 AM
I actually turned the last 15 minutes of the game off.

Are we the stupidest team going around in the NRL? What the hell were they doing? Im a fan of Carty but hell give your old mate ricky a call Carty and ask for some tips on suring up our defence!

Supergooose summed the game up pretty well and certain players need to address their games. I know one or two decisions went against us with the first roosters try and there was a bad forward pass from kouparitis who let the roosters prop score next to the posts but it is the same problems we have had since day 1. Attitude, defence and poor forwards. :helpme:

Henderson is shocking, Mini is an error machine and Boof is going through a bad patch. Cant really blame Graham or Mead too much last night because we were dominated in the ruck and the play of the balls which puts our defence on the backfoot and slowed our line speed down which let them create so much space out wide.

I seriously wouldnt mind Carty dropping 1 or 2 players and bring some fresh blood into the squad. Bring in O'dwyer, Cannings, Thompson and Marshall Chalk!

On a positive note and yet again Congratulations to Prince, Bird, Friend and Bailey for great individual displays. Also congrats to mead on his hatrick.

TO CARTY: I DONT CARE IF YOU NEED TO TAKE A CRICKET BAT TO THEIR ASSES AND SIT THEM DOWN IN A CLASSROOM. PLEASE TEACH THEM TO BECOME MEN AND LEARN HOW TO FREAKING TACKLE! :fight:

yes, john cartwright needs to gget really angry, hell bring in ricky to kick them up the backside, at training he should say every drop ball and missed tackle is 50 pushups, i like that we were offloading last night for a bit because it increases our attacking ability, but white and hendo think they are jarryd hayne when they offload and they cause mistakes.

mikeyba
01-06-10, 08:37 AM
if things dont improve in the next 4-5 weeks we are goneski...

The back row needs to be looked at .. Laffranci just gave away way to many penalties, Mini every time he touched the ball he dropped it.. this is becoming a habit. Prince / Bird had good ones .. no-one else did.. That pass to put presto in that hole was awesome... but what was Presto thinking with the dribble towards that sideline ahhh....Mead was good but cant tackle...There needs to be some serious changes.. I think we miss Rogers in the centres big time, maybe Michaels can slot in not sure how good he is these days? , the centres really had no impact in this game. O'Dywer to replace Mini, or O'dwyer to centres , tagatese to back row and bench mini (or send him to burleigh!), would like to see Thompson or Cannings back in the mix up front. Henderson/White is not doing much for me. :fight:

Titan2007
01-06-10, 08:43 AM
Heaven forbid! A bad game by ALL players, and I mean ALL players, and some want to sack the coach, sack the players etc. etc. It happens to all teams, they have a bad game, nothing sticks, dropped balls. Penalties come because of frustration that the players feel when things are not going their way. You can't blame individual efforts, they don't deliberately go out to miss tackles, knock on or give away a penalty. Put it down as a bad night for all, ESPECIALLY the players, and move on. The Titans are a great team so we should be supporting them not bagging them. Besides the Roosters were not THAT good! :nope:

Coaster
01-06-10, 09:02 AM
The loss i can handle.

What i can not handle is the same mistakes from the same players every week for 2 years!!!

Mino needs to be dropped, no ifs or butts. The guy continually makes the same errors every game. FFS he doesnt learn!

Zillman IMO is on notice, he either gets involved in the attack, and controls the defensive line or he works on it in lower grades. We can not have a player in a position that is so important simply being lazy, we all hear about this TP, where the bloody hell is he?

Where is the team that ground out a victory in NZ, that IMO was the perfect game from us, continual pressure, patience, and solid play. The same against Canberra this year.

Now we are trying to score off every set, passing way to close to the defensive line, kicking for trys instead of repeat sets, and we are as quiet as a mouse, nobodys talking to each other, there is no communication at all.

TITAN PETE
01-06-10, 09:57 AM
The loss i can handle.

What i can not handle is the same mistakes from the same players every week for 2 years!!!

Mino needs to be dropped, no ifs or butts. The guy continually makes the same errors every game. FFS he doesnt learn!

Zillman IMO is on notice, he either gets involved in the attack, and controls the defensive line or he works on it in lower grades. We can not have a player in a position that is so important simply being lazy, we all hear about this TP, where the bloody hell is he?

Where is the team that ground out a victory in NZ, that IMO was the perfect game from us, continual pressure, patience, and solid play. The same against Canberra this year.

Now we are trying to score off every set, passing way to close to the defensive line, kicking for trys instead of repeat sets, and we are as quiet as a mouse, nobodys talking to each other, there is no communication at all.

Mate u & i in 100% agreement :thumbsup:

I'm sick of seeing Minni carrying the watermelons & is more worried of how big he can get his chest to look on the big screen week after week..he should be dropped to QLD Cup not the bench & see if he can make his way back to the top grade :mad:

The online defense in my sons under 12's is stronger than that Shyte we had to watch last night...

We are definately missing a centre in attack i can't wait for Chalky & Cannings to walk straight back into the side to add the Grunt we are short of ........hopefully Chalky will be back this weekend if not by the Manly game.

DIEHARD
01-06-10, 10:36 AM
PRESSURE that is what we lack. We can't play the pressure game.

Chalky and Cannings, timing that they have returned and hopefully we can inject some new blood into the team.

Come on, Im going to Canberra and don't wanna see any capital punishment.

DIEHARD
01-06-10, 10:43 AM
Hat-trick no comfort for winger

HE rediscovered his try-scoring mojo, but Titans winger David Mead said the Gold Coast's clash against the Roosters was a night he would rather forget.

After crossing for just three tries in the opening 10 rounds, Mead unleashed with his first hat-trick in Titans colours: a 50m effort in the first half to score under the black dot, then picking off a Scott Prince pass to grab his second before pulling in a perfect Prince chip to grab up his third just before half-time.

All three will no doubt come to form part of the Titans' end-of-season highlight reel, but Mead was far from satisfied.

"It was good to get some tries but we still lost and it was probably one of our worst games ever so it was pretty disappointing," said Mead afterwards.

"It was a good feeling in the first half but when they started getting away the gloss went away.

"We just have to get back to training and work hard.

"We needed to complete our sets and we didn't do that."

Mead, who had the greatest strike rate of tries per games for any Titan last season, said he wasn't too worried heading into the game about his lack of four pointers so far in 2010.

"It was in the back of my head but we have been told a few times that we just have to be patient because they are going to come," he said. "We just have to keep working hard on the things like coming out of our own end and the tries will come."

But Mead said he was glad to once again have bragging rights over fellow winger Kevin Gordon, who remains on three tries after 11 games.

"Yeah I have got them I suppose but I have still got a lot to work on," he said.

"We compete against each other and it brings the best out in both of us, but this loss has really taken it out of me -- it would have been nice to win."

DIEHARD
01-06-10, 10:44 AM
Chooks rule roost

TITANS pack leader Luke Bailey last night called on his teammate to have a `good hard look at themselves' after the Gold Coast slumped to their worst performance of the season against the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park.

The Coast could not have started better in front of 13,235 home fans, with winger David Mead running in two tries in the first 10 minutes.

But when they should have gone on with the job, the Titans imploded with handling errors and defensive lapses allowing the Roosters to storm home 30-16.

The Titans have now leaked 118 points in their past four games and Bailey said they needed to find a cure to the defensive cancer creeping into the side.

"It was probably our best start with a bit of luck going our way and we controlled the middle third pretty good," said Bailey. "But then the errors came and the penalties.

"It is a bit concerning the amount of points we have let in over the last few weeks.

"We have to have a good hard look at ourselves.

"I don't think we have fixed the problems of leaking tries.

"The first two or three months of the season we prided ourselves on grinding defensive wins.

"We weren't playing flash footy but our defence was there.

"It is only mid-season but we need to fix the problems and it all starts with defence and our attitude."

With the return of playmaker Mitchell Pearce, the Roosters fought back with four straight first half tries to centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall, winger Anthony Minichiello, backrower Frank Paul Nuuausala and five-eighth Braith Anasta to shoot out to an 18-10 lead.

The Titans hit back two minutes before the break, with halfback Scott Prince putting a pin-point kick into the corner for a speeding Mead, who touched down to bag his hat-trick and narrow the gap to two points.

The Coast enjoyed the better field position to open the second stanza, but the Roosters were first to score, Kenny-Dowall getting his second and when Nuuausala followed suit minutes later the visitors stretched the margin to 14 points.

The Titans looked rusty after the 17-day break since their last clash with the Broncos.

But coach John Cartwright refused to use the extended rest as an excuse.

"We were very ordinary," he said. "It was very disappointing.

"We came here fresh and expecting to play a lot better than that."

The Titans, who have slipped to fourth on the competition table, must now regroup before a tough trip to the nation's capital to take on the Raiders on Sunday.

Two of the Coast's three biggest losing margins in their history have come in Canberra, with a 56-10 thumping in 2007 and a 46-4 flogging in 2008, so they face a slaughter should they get it wrong again.

"When you make an error you are expected to defend it and we are falling short there," said Bailey.
"It is something we need to fix up heading into the second half of the season."

DIEHARD
01-06-10, 10:48 AM
Pearce shines as Titans hit by hot chooks

MITCHELL Pearce has given NSW selector Laurie Daley something to ponder tonight at Skilled Park, as the Gold Coast Titans were over-run 30-16 by a hot Rooster side.

The Titans enjoyed a great start, with two quick tries to David Mead on his way to a first-half hat-trick.

But it all become one-way traffic in the second half.

Just hours after it was revealed incumbent NSW pivot Jamie Lyon would be sidelined for up to three weeks with an ankle injury, Pearce's comeback from injury could barely have been better timed.

Under Daley's watchful gaze, Pearce combined brilliantly with Braith Anasta for the Roosters as fellow Origin hopeful Greg Bird's Titans were kept scoreless in the second half.

In his first game in five weeks due to a shoulder complaint, Pearce hit the ground running to have a hand in three out of the Roosters' six tries, with Anasta clearly revelling in his halves partner's return.

At 19, a shellshocked Pearce made his Origin debut in 2008's decider - won 16-10 by Queensland - coincidentally alongside then-Blues pivot Anasta.

Reunited with his partner in crime Anasta, an older and wiser Pearce showed on Monday night he was ready to again step up for NSW as he helped the Roosters bounce back from an early 10-0 deficit.

Pearce's cross-field kick led to centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall's opening try for the Roosters in the 13th minute.

Anasta then chimed in to help the Roosters pile on the next three tries in 14 minutes - including a solo effort from dummy half - to give the Roosters an 18-10 lead.

The brace included a controversial try to hulking lock Frank Paul Nuuausala in the 26th minute.

Phil Graham and Anthony Minichiello appeared to knock on as they flew high to regather an Anasta kick before Nuuausala grounded the ball, as Titans fullback Preston Campbell stood by willing it dead.

But video referee Paul Simpkins shocked the Titans faithful when he gave the green light.

The Titans reduced the damage to 18-16 by halftime when PNG international David Mead completed his hat-trick after gobbling up a Scott Prince kick.

But the Roosters rolled on in the second half, with Kenny-Dowall and Nuuausala completing their doubles by the 58th minute to seal the result.

The Roosters (6-5 record) snapped a two game losing run with the comprehensive win in front of a 13,325-strong crowd while the Titans (7-4) remain in the top four despite the gut-wrenching loss.

titanstattman
01-06-10, 11:15 AM

That second half by the Titans was just as bad as the 13th placed Bulldogs in their first half against Melbourne, until we fix our defensive issues and STOP DROPPING THE BALL expect us to slump down the ladder.

If u look at his post he not going on nd on nd on about how much the titans suck like u do every freaking week... Yes we all know we need sum work on a few things and yes i also think we need to drop afew players for them to wake up to them selfs....

But dude have sum faith in the club u spose to follow every club in the comp is have a prob of the same thing in one way or another.. Cause at the moment all u sound like is a fan from another club comming on here to bag the crap out of us...... And Dont forget we are 2nd on the ledder so we are doing sumthing right sumwhere.... FFS

Quite simply, the team we have is good enough to win the competition.
The problem is our game plan. When an opposing team counters our natural game, we seem to have a shortage of other ideas. This seems to be particularly obvious when a team lies on the tackled player and slows play down and then rushes our offence.

On these occasions they need to kick early in the count. Concentrate on getting field position and forget about trying to score on every run. A little patience wouldn't go astray.

Im 100% with u on all this.. I think they are trying way to much on every run and thats way the mistakes are comming from aswell

teke
01-06-10, 02:06 PM
Another ordinary performance.

Mistakes at critical times were costly.

titansrawesome
01-06-10, 02:24 PM
If u look at his post he not going on nd on nd on about how much the titans suck like u do every freaking week... Yes we all know we need sum work on a few things and yes i also think we need to drop afew players for them to wake up to them selfs....

But dude have sum faith in the club u spose to follow every club in the comp is have a prob of the same thing in one way or another.. Cause at the moment all u sound like is a fan from another club comming on here to bag the crap out of us...... And Dont forget we are 2nd on the ledder so we are doing sumthing right sumwhere.... FFS

Im 100% with u on all this.. I think they are trying way to much on every run and thats way the mistakes are comming from aswell

ok mate but you cant just say that your happy that we are tied for 2nd and we never need to change the team, as a fan your ment to get angry about how bad your team goes one day or how good the next, i pretty much concvede to myself that the opposition will score when they are in our end because our online defense is shocking, we need improvements on:

tackling
discipline
when to pass(not force a bad pass)
when to offload
building a decent set piece.
and bring back tomane,rogers,cannings, o dwyer and thompson.

titanstattman
01-06-10, 03:13 PM
ok mate but you cant just say that your happy that we are tied for 2nd and we never need to change the team, as a fan your ment to get angry about how bad your team goes one day or how good the next, i pretty much concvede to myself that the opposition will score when they are in our end because our online defense is shocking, we need improvements on:

tackling
discipline
when to pass(not force a bad pass)
when to offload
building a decent set piece.
and bring back tomane,rogers,cannings, o dwyer and thompson.

Yeah we do need things to change in afew areas and like i said a few of those top players need to be sat out for a week... defrence is one thing we need to fix 100%...

Yes i wasnt happy but im not going to come on here nd bag the crap out of the team

squirrell
01-06-10, 10:54 PM
i think we miss tomanes impact running and rogers bit of flair,the 2 centres we had last night were workman like but not likely to excite!!!

squirrell
01-06-10, 11:00 PM
oh yes also is zillman EVER going to have an impact from fullback??compared to the slaters/hayne/carneys etc hes showed us nothing for a looooooooooooong time.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-06-10, 11:10 PM
oh yes also is zillman EVER going to have an impact from fullback??compared to the slaters/hayne/carneys etc hes showed us nothing for a looooooooooooong time.

have to kind of agree, i think bodene thompson should come on to the bench for zillman and if one of our team gets injured tagatese can come back in for fb/wing/centre/second row..

karnage
02-06-10, 06:43 AM
I don't know if it is possible to pick this up on TV or sitting behind the posts but the biggest problem I could see was the failure of our defensive line to push up and pressure the Roosters.

Coaches refer to it as line speed. We had none. Rather than push up as a unit and COMPETE without the ball we sat back and allowed the Roosters to complete their plays and hoped to make a tackle once they reached us. It is the exact problem that has plagued the Broncos and Tigers at various stages and both of these teams managed to overcome the difficulties in short order.

We have our third and fourth choice centres out there at the moment. In a perfect world Graham and Toopi would not get a look into our side. If Tonga can get himself right he will stroll back into this side with Rogers as both players bring defensive steel that the other players we have put out there can't muster. Toopi can defend but he is slow with the ball.

And I agree with the comments about our backrowers. Mini has become a liability in attack and Boof was on the scene for BOTH of their soft barge over tries. I still haven't forgotten his one on one miss on Mateo in the final we lost against Parra last year - I wonder if he has. Time to harden up boof.

I agree with the comments on Zillman too - I have been saying it for 2 years. He has NEVER once stamped himself as a quality player since his arrival from Canberra. We are however, the only team in the comp that rotates our fullback so the question remains over wether or not he would improve with a decent crack.

Devastatingly bad night and it gets harder now with a trip to Canberra followed by a visit from the Sea Eagles.

titanstattman
02-06-10, 10:12 AM
I remember wen scotty was out zilly started every game and we were saying how good he was getting due to starting and playing the full 80mins and now he not getting that time on the feild and he not doing much...

karnage
02-06-10, 04:03 PM
I remember wen scotty was out zilly started every game and we were saying how good he was getting due to starting and playing the full 80mins and now he not getting that time on the feild and he not doing much...

That's what I was getting at. I really don't want to make excuses for him but it is less than ideal bringing a fullback into the rotation.

Drop Mini and put Bird - who I neglected to mention was OUTSTANDING in a beaten side - to lock and leave Campbell up in the line. Time to get real!!

Ryan
02-06-10, 05:24 PM
That's what I was getting at. I really don't want to make excuses for him but it is less than ideal bringing a fullback into the rotation.

Drop Mini and put Bird - who I neglected to mention was OUTSTANDING in a beaten side - to lock and leave Campbell up in the line. Time to get real!!

How good was that hit on Carney :laugh:

Polyphemus of Palmwoods.
11-06-10, 06:56 PM
I just signed up a few minutes ago. Is there a live blog on the Titan site, for tonight's game? And if so, where can i find it?

pauljordan
11-06-10, 07:40 PM
hi

make money from home (http://makemoneyhomecourse.com/)