PDA

View Full Version : Queensland great Arthur Beetson slams the selection of Israel Folau for Origin I

TITAN PETE
19-05-10, 08:22 AM
By Matt Marshall and Dean Ritchie
May 19, 2010
Inaugural Queensland Origin captain Arthur Beetson has slammed the selection of Israel Folau as the Brisbane Broncos centre continues to deliberate over his future.

In a shock development, rugby league immortal Beetson slammed the Maroons' decision to select the Broncos star in their line-up for Origin I on May 26.

Asked of Folau, Beetson said: "Tell us the truth, let us know. I have a feeling he has already jumped ship. I wouldn't have picked him. I wouldn't have considered him.

"This is our showpiece and feature game. I'm dirty on this. I want to win it but I would rather win it without him.

"Ross Livermore (QRL managing director) is normally strong. Maybe Mal (Maroons coach Mal Meninga) saved his bacon.

"If he has gone to rugby union, then he shouldn't play in our feature game."

Folau continues to delay a decision on his playing future and while new Super 15 rugby union franchise, Melbourne Rebels, are thought to be in the box seat, the Broncos remain hopeful he may yet stay at Red Hill.

The Brisbane centre, who has scored five tries in as many Origin games, was clearly relieved to earn a call-up after his Test snub earlier this month.

"I'm actually pretty happy about it, to get picked in the Queensland side," Folau said.

"No matter how many Origin games you play, every time you get picked it's very exciting.

"To be picked in a side like this with a lot of great players around me, I feel very honoured.

"For myself, it's the pinnacle of rugby league, as a kid you always dream about playing State of Origin. To be in the Queensland side again is very special for me."

It is believed Folau, 21, has privately made up his mind on his future but will delay an announcement until after Origin I.

"After the first game, something might happen," Folau said. "I've still got a few things to put into place."

Meninga initially said he would not choose Folau, but his stance softened after discussions with senior players and QRL management.

Ryan
19-05-10, 08:28 AM
I'm with Arthur on this one......

shamus
19-05-10, 08:36 AM
I'm with Arthur on this one......

I wasn't going to comment until a Qld did........I fully agree with Beetson.

DIEHARD
19-05-10, 04:10 PM
Beetson is VERY outspoken, he has an opinion on everything and alot I dont agree with.

But with Folau Im on the fence. He hasn't signed and left us yet and his form does warrant selection. Maybe his selection will help keep him in Rugby League, while a Kangaroos snub would have just pushed him further away.

It would be a different story if he had signed.

TITAN PETE
20-05-10, 11:34 AM
Beetson is VERY outspoken, he has an opinion on everything and alot I dont agree with.

But with Folau Im on the fence. He hasn't signed and left us yet and his form does warrant selection. Maybe his selection will help keep him in Rugby League, while a Kangaroos snub would have just pushed him further away.

It would be a different story if he had signed.

I don't believe he was snubbed there were other players in better form than he was.....he has hit form in his last 2 games though but i would have to go with Arty as it looks pretty obvious that he's leaving the NRL & probably won't announce it till after SOO is over :wave:

titanstattman
20-05-10, 12:37 PM
well if he has signed with GFL the GFL club can not say who they hav signed untill end of year

TITAN PETE
20-05-10, 12:47 PM
well if he has signed with GFL the GFL club can not say who they hav signed untill end of year

Melbourne Rebels will sign him