PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Smith in doubt for State of Origin due to shoulder injury

Ryan
08-05-10, 04:39 AM
Cameron Smith in doubt for State of Origin due to shoulder injury
By staff writers
May 07, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27093894-5018993,00.html

Queensland hooker Cameron Smith is in doubt for State of Origin game one after suffering a partial dislocation to his shoulder in Australia's Anzac Test win over New Zealand.

Smith suffered the injury in the first half of the 12-8 win at AAMI Park and is expected to be out for 2-4 weeks.

With Origin game one less than three weeks away, Maroons coach Mal Meninga will be concerned one of the cornerstones of his side's recent success will be out of action.

Queensland halfback Jonathan Thurston and prop Steve Price are also injury concerns ahead of game one, which is in Sydney on May 26.

Ryan
08-05-10, 04:42 AM
Does Matt Ballin deserve to be picked in front of Friend?
I am assuming they are the shortlisted backups......
Never really watched Matt Ballin, don't have a clue what he plays like or his current form. Any clues anyone?
Does Friend have a chance here?

Could a Friend\Prince combination be an advantage if Smith is out? :fist:

GCT_07
08-05-10, 07:02 AM
2 possible QLD outages......... Ohhhhh badugger :laugh:

TITAN PETE
08-05-10, 07:20 AM
There wouldn't be a player more deserved of an Origin call up than Friendy & he would have to be well in front of Ballin

dee13
08-05-10, 07:27 AM
There is a god. Couldn't have happened to a nicer team.

Thats the reason why I don't like our players puting their bodies on the line mid season.

kwigibo
08-05-10, 10:14 AM
There wouldn't be a player more deserved of an Origin call up than Friendy & he would have to be well in front of Ballin

Friend definitely outperformed Ballin head to head (and all season really), but Ballin is always the first the selectors mention as a replacement. If it's only game 1 he'd get picked for, I don't mind, we have a bye before and a monday game after, as long as he doesn't get injured. Friend deserves a call up more than anyone in the league.

TITAN PETE
17-05-10, 01:55 PM
Smith facing Origin fitness deadline

By Wayne Heming AAP Mon, 17 May 2010 13:41:50
Melbourne hooker Cameron Smith's State of Origin fate hinges on a visit to the Storm's team doctor on Monday.

The Queensland rake is struggling with an elbow injury suffered playing for Australia against New Zealand earlier this month.

And Smith will visit the Storm's doctor Andy McMahon on Monday afternoon with Maroons selectors nervously awaiting news.

Smith, who has played in the 19 Origin matches, could find himself ineligible for Queensland's 17-man squad if the medical update is not positive.

Selectors are waiting on the news before announcing their squad for this year's Origin opener against NSW in Sydney next week.

In better news for selectors before they meet to put together the squad on Monday, Johnathan Thurston's unexpected appearance against the Warriors on the weekend has allayed fears he may not be fit.

The main issues facing selectors will be Queensland's front-row with veteran prop Steve Price out and Ben Hannant doubtful and the make-up of its bench with South Sydney Dave Taylor putting the heat on with another big game at the weekend.

TITAN PETE
17-05-10, 01:56 PM
I hope he's ruled out....give Friendy a Run :fist:

titansrawesome
17-05-10, 03:12 PM
I hope he's ruled out....give Friendy a Run :fist:

they won't, they will piss us off by picking ballin or payne, even though they are inferior to friend.

DIEHARD
17-05-10, 03:31 PM
Friend IS Origin. Taylor made for it.

Please get a run if Smith is out!

TITAN PETE
17-05-10, 03:37 PM
they won't, they will piss us off by picking ballin or payne, even though they are inferior to friend.

They Will ;)

goldcoastitans
17-05-10, 05:03 PM

i have got the inside goss from an insider, they have already told Payne he would be the back up for Smith if he wasnt there then Friend......so if thats right i hope Payne stays injured :)

titansrawesome
17-05-10, 05:23 PM
i have got the inside goss from an insider, they have already told Payne he would be the back up for Smith if he wasnt there then Friend......so if thats right i hope Payne stays injured :)

i dont understand though, ballin is an ok hooker who is a decent tackler, payne is pretty crap, and friend is the 2nd best hooker in the comp.
1.Friend
2.KINGSTON
3.Ballin
4.Payne

goldcoastitans
17-05-10, 05:25 PM
i dont understand though, ballin is an ok hooker who is a decent tackler, payne is pretty crap, and friend is the 2nd best hooker in the comp.
1.Friend
2.KINGSTON
3.Ballin
4.Payne

Paynes cousin just told me that ..... so yeh

but i dont rate Ballin over Friend!

Ryan
18-05-10, 05:33 AM
Manly hooker Matt Ballin on standby for Cameron Smith in Queensland team
By Wayne Heming
May 17, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27138312-5018993,00.html

Manly hooker Matt Ballin will be named as a shadow for Cameron Smith as the Queensland star battles an elbow injury that threatens to end his run of 19 straight Origins.

South Sydney's Dave Taylor's Origin dream is set to come true off the bench with Brisbane Broncos' Israel Folau - yet to reveal his future - likely to be named on the wing with Darius Boyd for the series opener in Sydney next Wednesday night.

Taylor, considered for last year's series when he was with the Broncos, is viewed as an impact player capable of busting the New South Wales Blues on the edges with his size and power.

Greg Inglis and North Queensland Cowboys' Willie Tonga will be Queensland's centre pairing with both Brent Tate and Lote Tuqiri missing out.

Smith, who has Gary Larson's record of 24 consecutive Origins in his sights, will be named in Queensland's 17-man squad on Tuesday.

However the final decision on whether he plays will be left in the hands of Queensland team doctor Roy Saunders and his medical staff who'll monitor his progress.

Understood to be desperate to play, Smith would be unlikely to do any contact training until at least this weekend, or even later.

A source rated him "50-50'' after he met Melbourne Storm doctor Andy McMahon on Monday afternoon for a progress report on the elbow he hyper-extended during the one-off Test against New Zealand a fortnight ago.

Smith, Inglis and Storm teammates Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk are all expected to be named in coach Mal Meninga's squad.

Cronk, who played the Test against the Kiwis for injured halfback Johnathan Thurston, will fill the utility role left vacant by Karmichael Hunt's defection to AFL.

Queensland have been grooming 26-year-old Ballin for just such a scenario with two Origin emerging camps.

He is understood to have got the nod narrowly ahead of Gold Coast Titans hooker Nathan Friend and Cowboys' No.9 Aaron Payne to be Smith's shadow.

The fact that he has also played and won a grand final with the Sea Eagles and is in the Smith mould, also weighed in his favour with selectors.

With Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant ruled out following knee surgery, Queensland will hit NSW up front with the new Test combination of Petero Civoniceva and Dave Shillington.

Punishing Sydney Roosters forward Nate Myles has served his penance for his off-field behaviour last year which cost him a Queensland jumper for the third game and will start in the back-row alongside Brisbane's in-form Sam Thaiday.

Titans player Ashley Harrison shifts to lock to replace tackling machine Dallas Johnson.

Thurston's surprise appearance against the Warriors at the weekend removed any concerns his latest shoulder injury could keep him out of the match which will be skipper Darren Lockyer's Origin swansong.

AAP

titansrawesome
18-05-10, 07:13 AM
Manly hooker Matt Ballin on standby for Cameron Smith in Queensland team
By Wayne Heming
May 17, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27138312-5018993,00.html

Manly hooker Matt Ballin will be named as a shadow for Cameron Smith as the Queensland star battles an elbow injury that threatens to end his run of 19 straight Origins.

South Sydney's Dave Taylor's Origin dream is set to come true off the bench with Brisbane Broncos' Israel Folau - yet to reveal his future - likely to be named on the wing with Darius Boyd for the series opener in Sydney next Wednesday night.

Taylor, considered for last year's series when he was with the Broncos, is viewed as an impact player capable of busting the New South Wales Blues on the edges with his size and power.

Greg Inglis and North Queensland Cowboys' Willie Tonga will be Queensland's centre pairing with both Brent Tate and Lote Tuqiri missing out.

Smith, who has Gary Larson's record of 24 consecutive Origins in his sights, will be named in Queensland's 17-man squad on Tuesday.

However the final decision on whether he plays will be left in the hands of Queensland team doctor Roy Saunders and his medical staff who'll monitor his progress.

Understood to be desperate to play, Smith would be unlikely to do any contact training until at least this weekend, or even later.

A source rated him "50-50'' after he met Melbourne Storm doctor Andy McMahon on Monday afternoon for a progress report on the elbow he hyper-extended during the one-off Test against New Zealand a fortnight ago.

Smith, Inglis and Storm teammates Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk are all expected to be named in coach Mal Meninga's squad.

Cronk, who played the Test against the Kiwis for injured halfback Johnathan Thurston, will fill the utility role left vacant by Karmichael Hunt's defection to AFL.

Queensland have been grooming 26-year-old Ballin for just such a scenario with two Origin emerging camps.

He is understood to have got the nod narrowly ahead of Gold Coast Titans hooker Nathan Friend and Cowboys' No.9 Aaron Payne to be Smith's shadow.

The fact that he has also played and won a grand final with the Sea Eagles and is in the Smith mould, also weighed in his favour with selectors.

With Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant ruled out following knee surgery, Queensland will hit NSW up front with the new Test combination of Petero Civoniceva and Dave Shillington.

Punishing Sydney Roosters forward Nate Myles has served his penance for his off-field behaviour last year which cost him a Queensland jumper for the third game and will start in the back-row alongside Brisbane's in-form Sam Thaiday.

Titans player Ashley Harrison shifts to lock to replace tackling machine Dallas Johnson.

Thurston's surprise appearance against the Warriors at the weekend removed any concerns his latest shoulder injury could keep him out of the match which will be skipper Darren Lockyer's Origin swansong.

AAP
what did i say:doh: