PDA

View Full Version : Lyon escapes their clutches so Titans pursue Lion O'Loughlin

Luke
10-12-05, 05:12 PM
GOLD Coast have made a formal offer to Great Britain international Sean O'Loughlin after all but giving up hope of signing former Australia centre Jamie Lyon.

The Titans were given permission to negotiate with Lyon for two months by Parramatta, who still have the 23-year-old St Helens star under contract. But, despite making a lucrative offer, Lyon turned them down and is widely tipped to join Manly in 2007. Gold Coast executive director Michael Searle yesterday said that the NRL's 16th club was unlikely to be able to offer Lyon the same money if he was still available after the June 30 anti-tampering deadline, and had now turned their attention to O'Loughlin and Leeds fullback Richie Mathers.

Both are England representatives, with O'Loughlin captaining his country to victory in the 2003 European Cup before going on to make his Great Britain debut in last year's Tri-Nations tournament. A cousin of former Great Britain skipper Andy Farrell, O'Loughlin missed most of the 2005 season with a knee injury, but he is set to be appointed captain of Wigan next year in a bid to discourage him from following teammate Brian Carney to Australia. Carney will play for Newcastle next season before joining the Titans in 2007.

"It's a massive decision for him and I know that Wigan are keen to keep him but we've offered him an opportunity and expect to know within the next month or so whether he is prepared to take it," Searle said. "A lot of players over there want to challenge themselves and I think the more players that get out here the better Great Britain is going to go. It's a little bit like the Kiwis - they have benefited enormously as an international team because the majority of their players play in the NRL."

Searle said he was yet to table an offer to Mathers but would do so early next season after the England A star last month visited the Gold Coast with Leeds teammate and close friend Danny McGuire. "All the feedback that we got over there from people like David Waite is that Richie is a player of the future so we'll keep negotiating with him and if we got a decision by May we would then know if we have the fullback position locked away," Searle said.

Asked about Lyon, he said: "I think we made a very attractive offer for him that certainly indicated his status as one of the top four centres in the game but he knocked it back so we've got to make other plans. He wants to go to market after July but from our point of view, if we were still interested, we would have to put a reduced offer to him because we've now got other priorities."

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said he would consult Lyon's former teammates as well as the club's new coach before deciding whether to try to lure him back to Parramatta, but that the salary cap would also be an issue.

Fitzgerald declined to comment on negotiations for Newcastle's Michael Hagan to take charge in 2007 from Brian Smith, who was one of five head coaches not in attendance at the NRL's annual conference.

Those coaches and players who were present strongly endorsed the concept of full-time referees and professional recruitment squads outlined by the NRL.

So far, nine referees have accepted salary packages ranging from $65,000 per year to more than $100,000 but grand final referee Tim Mander isn't among them and will retire, while Sean Hampstead and Paul Simpkins want to remain part-time to continue their careers with the police.

In other news, Penrith directors Greg Alexander, Col Bentley and Greg Chapman have assured chairman Barry Walsh ahead of tomorrow's elections that they were not part of a ticket headed by former members of the so-called "footy five", whose unsuccessful bid to grab control of the board in the 2002 election led to the Temby inquiry into the affairs of the club.

Source: SMH.com.au

The Original Idiot
10-12-05, 06:36 PM
Fair enough, he doesn't want us. I say go for Mathers and Greenshields, get Clint to play centre. If Inglis can make the switch, he can.

DeeGan
10-12-05, 08:20 PM
Jamie Lyon was always going to be a tough signing - good luck to him with who ever he links up with in the NRL.

Richie Mathers is a signing I am excited about. At the moment he is a rising star in the English game and I think he will only improve in leaps and bounds in the NRL competition if he bites the bullett and comes to the NRL. I really hope we can get him over to the Gold Coast on a two or three year deal.

Sean O'Loughlin is another 'prospect' though I won't lose any sleep if we do not pick him up from Wigan. O'Loughlin has a bucket of load of talent and would reap the rewards of being under the watchful eye of three former great backrowers in Trevor Gillmeister, Scott Sattler and coach John Cartwright. Wigan have announced O'Loughlin as their captain for 2006 - I cannot see him in a Titans jersey in 2007.

DeeGan

Titanium_BD1103
12-12-05, 06:29 PM
Yeah I think I read somewhere he is signed to Wigan until the end of the 2007 season anyway.. but for 2008 O'Loughlin would be a great signing for this club.. :D :D

As for Mathers.. I'd love to see him in the Gold Coast.. a very talented player who would do well here and would have lots of support I am sure.. and would provide lots of support for players like Campbell.. and that is only a good thing.. :)

Kingytek
10-03-06, 09:07 AM
Obviously no Lyon on the Gold Coast. Oh well, his loss. Quality side, quality place to live or more money in "Sydney"

Lyon hunt hots up
March 10, 2006

FORMER Australia centre Jamie Lyon is set to become the hottest property on rugby league's open market after rejecting a $1 million offer to join the Gold Coast Titans.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Manly, Penrith, Canberra and the Sharks have already registered interest in luring the former New South Wales Origin star for 2007.

Lyon has informed his Australian agent, George Mimis, of his desire to return to the NRL next season, rejecting a lucrative offer from English Super League powerhouse St Helens.

Manly is the club most favoured to win the race for Lyon's signature, holding the advantage of a close connection between the one-time Parramatta ace and Sea Eagles recruitment scout Noel Cleal.

Sea Eagles chief executive Pat Wilson last night confirmed the outfit would be interested in opening negotiations should Lyon become a free agent after June 30.

"We would certainly be interested in a player of Jamie's calibre at the appropriate time," Wilson said.

The hot demand for Lyon's services may make the former international, who won the prestigious Man of Steel Award as the best player in Britain last season, among the highest paid centres in the NRL.

Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce confirmed the club's interest in the former Kangaroos flyer, who scored 24 tries last season as St Helens claimed the minor premiership.

"You would be crazy not to be interested in Jamie Lyon," Pierce said.

"If Jamie was available, I'm sure Stuart Raper and Adrian Lam would be keen on talking to him.

"They have both seen him play in England and I'm sure we would be interested if he was keen to come back."

Lyon rejected an approach from the Titans at the end of last year in favour of testing his value on the open market.

Still contracted under a deed of understanding to Parramatta until the end of this season, the Titans tabled the offer to Lyon after getting permission to negotiate from the Eels.

Lyon wants to return to the NRL to stake a claim for the representative jumpers he surrendered when he chose to walk out on Parramatta at the start of 2003.

lonegull
10-03-06, 01:37 PM
i can see lyon going to manly because he is close friends with crusher cleal as for the rest mathers will be good I think he is a chance of coming over

League Freak
10-03-06, 03:28 PM
Sean O'Loughlin would be a poor signing in my opinion.

The Original Idiot
10-03-06, 05:42 PM
^ How about you shut up about how poorly talented he is and give us a reason why? You incessantly repeat how bad O'Loughlin is without providing any justification.

League Freak
10-03-06, 06:11 PM
^ How about you shut up about how poorly talented he is and give us a reason why? You incessantly repeat how bad O'Loughlin is without providing any justification.

You want a reason?

How about he does NOTHING at a better than average level.

He is in a rotten Wigan side right now and he doesnt stand out at all. Kickinger, passing, defence, attack....he isnt much good at any of them!

He's a poor mans Andrew Farrell...and Farrell was a crap!

Coaster
10-03-06, 06:21 PM
I didnt really want Lyon anyway, he is to high maintenance.

I would rather spend money on Willie Tonga, and Greenshields.

My wish list would be

1. Greenshields
2. Carney
3. Tonga
4. Gasnier
5. Wendall Sailor <- correct i am drunk atm
6. Cambell
7. Prince

DeeGan
10-03-06, 06:22 PM
You want a reason?

How about he does NOTHING at a better than average level.

He is in a rotten Wigan side right now and he doesnt stand out at all. Kickinger, passing, defence, attack....he isnt much good at any of them!

He's a poor mans Andrew Farrell...and Farrell was a crap!

I tend to agree.

Before his injury, he was well on his to way to becoming a future star in the league though this season in the games I have witnessed him play he average at best. No, we cannot rate a player on a mere month of football (he is a talented player with promise) though he is not worthy of the plaudits he does receive in the UK.

O'loughlin in his defence should not be playing at five-eighth nor is he mature enough as a footballer IMO to be wearing the "captain's armband" as they say. Millward has him playing out of position (should be in the back row) as well putting the burden of captaincy on him as well.

O'Loughlin for one rated "world class" is simply overrated. He makes too many errors (easily hurried into a mistake) and does not have the necessary playmaking skills to be the "main man" in attack for Wigan.

Is he worth a punt over here? 6-8 weeks ago I would of said yes, though unless there is a huge turn around in his game, I think he is best left in the UK for a few more seasons as he gradually gets his confidence back in his game.

The Original Idiot
10-03-06, 06:33 PM
^ Well, maybe a move back to the backrow will revitalise his career. I feel that Poms can only benefit from playing in the NRl. Thorman should've stuck out longer or picked a better club than Parra.

DeeGan
10-03-06, 06:39 PM
^ Well, maybe a move back to the backrow will revitalise his career. I feel that Poms can only benefit from playing in the NRl. Thorman should've stuck out longer or picked a better club than Parra.

I think so, plus removing him from the captaincy which will not happen.

Some, not all, UK players will benefit from playing in this competition and whilst i think O'Loughlin would, I am not sure we as a new club have the luxury of taking the punt on a guy who is IMO lagging at Super League level. An established club like a Brisbane or Parramatta may have that luxury, not a new franchise IMO.

Richie Mathers on the other hand is a player that will benefit from playing in this competition. He is IMO the best fullback in the UK and a season or three in the NRL would see him come on leaps and bounds as player which would be of benefit to GB.

Dakink
11-03-06, 09:44 AM
Yep I agree with LF and Deegs. He has minimal impact at SL level, he would be a waste of money for us, again perhaps a large club could get him up to speed, but we need players that are up to speed already in the main.

Steve Dangerous
11-03-06, 02:00 PM
'fraid i don't know much about super league fellas, so i'll have to trust the titans on this stuff.

i do think it's funny how in the past so many players have moved to england, but now we're hitting back and getting their best and brightest heh.

mayzie
11-03-06, 02:57 PM
you are dreaming if you are saying u dont want lyon :dead: wait till 2007 and if he is playing nrl see how many times he scores against the titans and then come on here and say u still dont want him. I have a feeling u might think differently then. Hey at least u guys took princey, will u make him capt?

The Original Idiot
11-03-06, 03:06 PM
^ Well Lyon didn't want us either, so that's the end of that.