PDA

View Full Version : Round 8: Gold Coast Titans vs Penrith Panthers

DIEHARD
27-04-10, 01:22 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs Penrith Panthers

Gold Coast Titans: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, David Mead, Greg Bird, Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey [c], Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison.

Subs: Matthew White, Michael Henderson, Sam Tagataese, Jordan Atkins.

Penrith Panthers: Lachlan Coote, Michael Gordon, Michael Jennings, Adrian Purtell, Brad Tighe, Travis Burns, Luke Walsh, Tim Grant, Kevin Kingston, Petero Civoniceva [c], Trent Waterhouse, Frank Pritchard, Luke Lewis.

Subs: Masada Iosefa, Nathan Smith, Matthew Bell, Sam McKendry, Wade Graham (one to be omitted).

DIEHARD
27-04-10, 01:26 AM
With a historic victory over Manly in Sydney, our first ever win at Brooky. And without Rogers and Prince... we can look forward to an absolute ripper of a game at Skilled Park against the competitions dark hose Penrith.

Make sure you get to the game!

shamus
27-04-10, 06:27 AM
With a historic victory over Manly in Sydney, our first ever win at Brooky. And without Rogers and Prince... we can look forward to an absolute ripper of a game at Skilled Park against the competitions dark hose Penrith.

Make sure you get to the game!

1st ever win by any Gold Coast team as well....

GCT_07
27-04-10, 07:34 AM
Great news after the game. Princey should be back against the Panthers and Matty 5 to 6 weeks off. It was looking at Matty being out for 12 weeks so im thrilled it will be earlier :banana:

Coming down Saturday Morning for the Game....... :salute:

gcboyz
27-04-10, 10:09 AM
With a bye the following week there would be a temptation to rest Princey and give the hand an extra two weeks to heal. This will be a long season and we need him at the back end.

TITAN PETE
27-04-10, 11:32 AM
With a bye the following week there would be a temptation to rest Princey and give the hand an extra two weeks to heal. This will be a long season and we need him at the back end.

We don't have a bye the following week we will be in Newcastle ;)

teke
27-04-10, 02:09 PM
This game on paper is gonna be a barnstormer. It will be one of the games so far this year.

Lachy
27-04-10, 03:16 PM
I'm quite surprised at the form that Penrith has found this season. Good for the area, however.. the Titans must get up for this one. No doubt.

gotitans101
27-04-10, 03:40 PM
Prince not named in the side for this weekend:

Gold Coast Titans: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, David Mead, Greg Bird, Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey ?, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Matthew White, Michael Henderson, Sam Tagataese, Jordan Atkins.

Steve
27-04-10, 03:58 PM
I've not got much to say about this one... still deciding what to wear. :D

titansrawesome
27-04-10, 04:09 PM
i think tomane needs to read defenses and tackle playwe otherwise our right side will be found out again and will be targeted, toopi was terrific and i'm glad that he was chosen again, but why atkins on the bench again?

patskE
27-04-10, 05:33 PM
not atkins again?
i rate tomane over atkins,
just still taga out there if tomane is having problems
prince will prob play, just not named i rkn if his due back

titansrawesome
27-04-10, 06:47 PM
not atkins again?
i rate tomane over atkins,
just still taga out there if tomane is having problems
prince will prob play, just not named i rkn if his due back

exactly thank you, unfortunately atkins went downhill from his debut.

TITAN PETE
27-04-10, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't read to much into Prince not being named in the squad it's only Tuesday & they have to send their team sheet in for media print but I'm sure there will be a jersey with no25 in the change room just incase he's ready

Steve
27-04-10, 06:54 PM
You have to worry about the Titans defence out wide that is constantly exploited by other teams. With the likes of Jennings running at it, it spells danger.

DIEHARD
27-04-10, 06:59 PM
So the stage is set for an exciting return for Prince or for the team to get the job done. I think Tomane's defensive problems aren't terminal, it can be fixed. But once we plug that gap out that side we will be a very hard team to beat.

I didn't give Bird any points for the Forum Awards, but he certainly was impressive. Just what we were hoping from him.

Penrith can score alot of points, so hopefully our defence holds out and we can strike back.

DIEHARD
27-04-10, 07:15 PM
Penrith Panthers: Lachlan Coote, Michael Gordon, Michael Jennings, Adrian Purtell, Brad Tighe, Travis Burns, Luke Walsh, Tim Grant, Kevin Kingston, Petero Civoniceva [c], Trent Waterhouse, Frank Pritchard, Luke Lewis.

Subs: Masada Iosefa, Nathan Smith, Matthew Bell, Sam McKendry, Wade Graham (one to be omitted).

Boofhead
27-04-10, 07:25 PM
I'm thinking Preston will slide right back into Fullback leaving Zillman on the bench.

7. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Joseph Tomane
5. David Mead
6. Greg Bird
25. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Matthew White
15. Michael Henderson
16. Sam Tagataese
1. William Zillman

Won't suprise me if we see Zillman slot in for Tomane of Mead if they don't lift their defence.

karnage
27-04-10, 07:55 PM
You have to worry about the Titans defence out wide that is constantly exploited by other teams. With the likes of Jennings running at it, it spells danger.

If Jennings spells danger what does Pritchard spell??

He could run absolutely RIOT against the sort of defence that the Tomane / Mead flank has been dishing up.

I liked the idea that somebody else had of switching Bird over that side to shore it up a bit. He was nothing short of PHENOMENAL in defence against the Sea Eagles and with Mini and Toopi out there that edge was a vault. It will weaken a strength a little but I think in all we will be better with Bird running shotgun for Tomane who is struggling BIG TIME!!

DIEHARD
27-04-10, 08:30 PM
Never really thought about Zillman as a centre... Could work.

titansrawesome
27-04-10, 08:51 PM
Never really thought about Zillman as a centre... Could work.

zilly made some good last line of defense tackles against manly, eg josh perry.

Tamwelg
27-04-10, 09:27 PM
Zilly is a fullback and needs to remain our fullback. I'd like to see him get more involved in attack, but then again our attack gas been missing lately due to errors.

titansrawesome
27-04-10, 09:31 PM
Zilly is a fullback and needs to remain our fullback. I'd like to see him get more involved in attack, but then again our attack gas been missing lately due to errors.

nope i prefer zilly on the bench and campbell our no.1 fullback, presto has earned it anyways.

patskE
27-04-10, 11:06 PM
presto is an better support player.
read prince is getting pin out early this week, and they see how he goes.
would love to see bird move to the back row, i think presto needs to be at 6, esp this game, if prince does play to take some of the ball playing roll pressure off him

Adelaide Titan
27-04-10, 11:56 PM
gonna be a cracking game! Titans to win at home and take 2nd spot :D

teke
28-04-10, 02:29 AM
If Jennings spells danger what does Pritchard spell??

He could run absolutely RIOT against the sort of defence that the Tomane / Mead flank has been dishing up.

I liked the idea that somebody else had of switching Bird over that side to shore it up a bit. He was nothing short of PHENOMENAL in defence against the Sea Eagles and with Mini and Toopi out there that edge was a vault. It will weaken a strength a little but I think in all we will be better with Bird running shotgun for Tomane who is struggling BIG TIME!!The main problem with Tomane is his reading. If Prince is back Presto goes out of the defensive line to fullback and Prince takes over and he will be on Tomane barking orders all night long :laugh: The young lion will get the message :D

Supergoose
28-04-10, 07:12 AM
The Courier Mail today has Ash Harrison with a suspected broken hand. If this is the case and Prince comes back we might see Bird in the pack and the start of something beautiful. Let's hope Tomane and the rest of our right side defence can get things right this week. I'm fairly certain that Jennings has switched to the right this season but Purtell has been playing well on the left regardless. Our biggest concern from Monday night going into this week is the form of Zillman under the high-ball. He needs to be far more assertive if we are going to defuse the best attacking kicking team in the nrl.

TITAN PETE
28-04-10, 08:14 AM
presto is an better support player.
read prince is getting pin out early this week, and they see how he goes.
would love to see bird move to the back row, i think presto needs to be at 6, esp this game, if prince does play to take some of the ball playing roll pressure off him

He had the pin removed Tuesday & is training with the team this week & will be given till Friday to prove the hand is right to go :thumbsup:

gotitans101
28-04-10, 01:50 PM
Prince no show at Titans training
By Wayne Heming AAP Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:31:40

Scott Prince's chances of an early comeback from thumb surgery faded on Wednesday when he failed to train with the Gold Coast Titans ahead of their NRL showdown with an equally in-form Penrith at Skilled Park on Saturday.

Prince, who had a pin removed from his broken thumb on Tuesday, will have to train with the side on Friday morning to have any hope of playing.

The Titans had a solid session at Robina on the Gold Coast on Wednesday morning but Prince, the subject of speculation of an early comeback against the Panthers, did not run with the side.

He is still a chance to play given the pin was removed on Tuesday and there appeared to be no complications.

Prince suffered the hand injury against Canberra when he was the centre of salary cap allegations involving a free house, which has since been dismissed following an NRL investigation.

He was expected to be sidelined for six weeks with a return pencilled in for the round nine clash with Newcastle.

Given they have beaten both Melbourne and Manly in two of their four games without Prince they are not desperate to rush him back if the risk of re-injuring the thumb is too great.

Preston Campbell, who has done an outstanding job filling in at No.7, said this week he couldn't wait for his skipper to get back on the park.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/58434/prince-no-show-at-titans-training/default.aspx

Let's hope he's okay by Friday!

Weeksy
28-04-10, 03:09 PM
I've been a Panthers fan since i started followin rugby league in 1985 at the age of 4, growing up on the Central Coast NSW we never had a team in the NSWRL competition, and as my Mum and Dad were both from the Blacktown and St Mary's I followed the same team my Dad played with and followed.

I moved up here to the Gold Coast in 2006 and became a Titans season ticketholder for their inaugural year and have been a Gold member ever since, I love rugby Leage and although I'll always a Panthers fan #1, I can't go and see them play every week, but I can see the Titans every home game.

If Prince plays and I really hope that he does it's going to be one hell of a game. 2 form teams playing for keeps, it's really going to be a hard decision who to take in the tipping comps as well as deciding which jersey to wear to the game.

In my honest opinion - this is definately Game of the Round!!

If you're not at the game, definately get to a pub/club or someones place with Fox Sports or you'll regret it

shamus
28-04-10, 03:46 PM
I've been a Panthers fan since i started followin rugby league in 1985 at the age of 4, growing up on the Central Coast NSW we never had a team in the NSWRL competition, and as my Mum and Dad were both from the Blacktown and St Mary's I followed the same team my Dad played with and followed.

I moved up here to the Gold Coast in 2006 and became a Titans season ticketholder for their inaugural year and have been a Gold member ever since, I love rugby Leage and although I'll always a Panthers fan #1, I can't go and see them play every week, but I can see the Titans every home game.

If Prince plays and I really hope that he does it's going to be one hell of a game. 2 form teams playing for keeps, it's really going to be a hard decision who to take in the tipping comps as well as deciding which jersey to wear to the game.

In my honest opinion - this is definately Game of the Round!!

If you're not at the game, definately get to a pub/club or someones place with Fox Sports or you'll regret it

It's about time you got on here and said something Weeksy... :wave:

...oh. and don't wear the jersey I think u r gunna wear.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
28-04-10, 07:05 PM
GOLD Coast forward Anthony Laffranchi will be available for Saturday's NRL clash with in-form Penrith after entering the early guilty plea to a high tackle charge.

The former Test forward was charged with a grade one careless high tackle on Manly's Matt Ballin in the Titans' 24-22 win at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

Melbourne's Brett White took an early guilty plea and escaped punishment on a dangerous contact with head and neck charge, but will miss this weekend's clash with the North Queensland Cowboys after taking the early guilty plea on a grade one striking charge
dailytele

daveyk
28-04-10, 07:36 PM
can you PLEASE include the link from where the story comes from... thank you

Sydney Titans Fanatic
28-04-10, 07:41 PM
i started typing dailytelegraph dude but the cursor stopped when my computer froze...im trying

titanstattman
28-04-10, 08:11 PM
i started typing dailytelegraph dude but the cursor stopped when my computer froze...im trying

Just copy nd paste the www adress

titansrawesome
28-04-10, 08:34 PM
good news, i dare say laffaranchi is the form backrower of the comp, then i would say gallen, and stewart has been very good too

DIEHARD
28-04-10, 08:43 PM
Yea just type it Greg that's what I do. Thanks for posting the news though. Don't let itdeter you.

I usually go something like this.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

I'm going to buy a few more Legion tickets. Make sure you get out Tothe game.

daveyk
28-04-10, 08:45 PM
with taking the early plea... lets hope he doesnt fall fowl to another charge later in the season... would to lose boof coming into september

DIEHARD
28-04-10, 08:46 PM
Sorry I've been a bitout of action lately. (I am shooting a short film) But i'm now back on deck and ready to smash the Panthers

DIEHARD
28-04-10, 08:49 PM
with taking the early plea... lets hope he doesnt fall fowl to another charge later in the season... would to lose boof coming into september

Good point Davey. It could come back tobite us. And whent hurts.

But for now we live to fight another day. Boof has been one of our beat recently

DIEHARD
28-04-10, 11:42 PM
Gold Coast Titans halfback Scott Prince no-show threatens comeback

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/04/28/1225859/304173-scott-prince-titans.jpg

SCOTT Prince's chances of an early comeback from thumb surgery faded when he failed to train with the Gold Coast Titans ahead of their showdown with an equally in-form Penrith at Skilled Park on Saturday.

Prince, who had a pin removed from his broken thumb on Tuesday, will have to train with the side on Friday morning to have any hope of playing.

The Titans had a solid session at Robina on the Gold Coast but Prince, the subject of speculation of an early comeback against the Panthers, did not run with the side.

He is still a chance to play given the pin was removed on Tuesday and there appeared to be no complications.

Prince suffered the hand injury against Canberra when he was the centre of salary cap allegations involving a free house, which has since been dismissed following an NRL investigation.

He was expected to be sidelined for six weeks with a return pencilled in for the round nine clash with Newcastle.

Given they have beaten both Melbourne and Manly in two of their four games without Prince they are not desperate to rush him back if the risk of re-injuring the thumb is too great.

Preston Campbell, who has done an outstanding job filling in at No.7, said this week he couldn't wait for his skipper to get back on the park.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl

DIEHARD
29-04-10, 01:47 AM
Titans v Panthers Preview
Saturday, 5:30pm (AEST) - Skilled Park

It?s a clash of the titans (literally) this week as the second-placed Panthers make their second ever visit to Skilled Park to battle with third-placed Gold Coast.

Both teams sit just under the table-topping Dragons on 10 points, slightly ahead of the rest of the competition, making this blockbuster bigger than the Titanic.

The Titans ? who are likely to have skipper Scott Prince return to steer the ship this week (even though he?s not named) ? were impressive last Monday night at ?Fortress Brookvale?, withstanding a dominant Manly outfit 24-22. It came just two weeks after their 20-16 dismantling of the Storm in their previous game at home.

Former Penrith premiership winner Preston Campbell was his typical brave self, scoring a try, setting up another, and making five tackle busts and two line-breaks for the Titans last Monday night.

Second-rower Anthony Laffranchi (138 metres, 41 tackles) and Greg Bird (124 metres) were also outstanding against the Sea Eagles.

The Panthers, on the other hand, have clawed their way to second place on the back of a four-game winning streak, which included a stirring 26-18 triumph over the Wests Tigers last Saturday. Coach Matt Elliott seems to have instilled a new-found grit in his team this year, with his unit seemingly never out of any game so far in 2010.

Enigmatic second-rower Frank Pritchard (114 metres, two tackles breaks, a line-break and a try assist) showed glimpses of his devastating best, but it was the regular contributors ? Petero Civoniceva (137 metres) and Lachlan Coote (two tries, 152 metres and six tackle-breaks) ? who ensured Penrith enter this week with some of the hottest form in the competition.

Other than Nigel Plum (knee) and David Simmons (shoulder), Penrith are at a full strength, while Mat Rogers is still out for Gold Coast.

Watch out Titans: If it ain?t broke, don?t fix it! Even more so when stats show that the Titans have defused just 30 per cent of bombs this year.

Since that?s the case, William Zilllman and Preston Campbell are in for a torrid night from the man who seems to have the golden boot this year. Luke Walsh has tallied an amazing 13 try assists this year (1st in the NRL), with the majority of them contributing to Penrith?s 16 kicks from tries (1st in the NRL). Lachlan Coote (seven tries), Adrian Purtell (five) and Luke Lewis (four) will no doubt be putting plenty of pressure on whoever plays at fullback.

Watch out Panthers: NSW hopeful Greg Bird is starting to warm into his role on the Sunshine strip. After a slow start to the year, the 26-year-old is relishing his role at five-eighth, racking up a healthy 116 metres a game, and a league-leading 18 offloads so far this year.

While the probable return of Scott Prince should ring alarm bells for the visiting team, it?s his partner-in-crime who will prove a handful no matter where he runs the ball.

Where it will be won: For all the attacking prowess that?ll take the field on Saturday evening, the Titans and Panthers rank equal 14th in the number of line-breaks made this year. Whoever can make the most of their opportunities when they shift the ball could well be the team that comes out on top.

The history: Played 3; Panthers 2, Titans 1. An average 53 points have been scored in their clashes since Gold Coast?s inception in 2007, which means this will probably be a high-scoring affair.

The inaugural and only clash at Skilled Park was the only time the Titans tasted victory against the Panthers, with Matt Elliott?s men taking out the past two ? including a 34-20 win at CUA Stadium last year.

Conclusion: The return of Scott Prince would provide a massive boost to the home side, which will be buoyed by their fighting win against the Sea Eagles last week.

Coach Cartwright told NRL.com after the manly win that he expected Prince to play, so weigh that up.

But they?ll be facing another confident team in the Panthers, who are looking unbeatable in the air. It?s a toss of the coin really, but the timely return of the Titans skipper would give them the ?heads up?. Titans by 2.

Match officials: Referees ? Jared Maxwell & Bernard Sutton; Sideline officials ? Paul Holland & Grant Atkins; Video Referee ? Tim Mander

Televised: Fox Sports ? Delayed 7:30pm (AEST).

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
29-04-10, 05:02 AM
Titans more than satisfied to clip Eagles

JOHN Cartwright no longer ranks the Titans victories -- but he admits leaving Brookvale Oval with the two points was 'more than satisfying'.

Returning to the scene of last year's humiliating 38-4 loss a week before the 2009 finals, the Titans broke through for their fifth win of the year on Monday night to sit equal with this weekend's opponent Penrith, one win behind St George Illawarra.

"We spoke a little bit about it through the week that we haven't had a win down there in four years and that last time we went there we got a bit of a touch-up, so it helped us a little bit," said Cartwright.

"That (Round 26 loss) was mentioned. It wasn't a good way to go into semi-final football and impacted on us pretty heavily.

"So it was nice to go out and get some revenge."

Given little chance by some pundits to deliver without injured skipper Scott Prince, the Titans have gone a long way to silencing the doubters.

In four matches without Prince at the helm, the Titans may have fallen to the Cowboys and the ladder-leading Dragons but they also stamped their premiership credentials with gritty victories over the Storm and Manly.

"They are tough sides (Melbourne and Manly) to beat, they have been the premiers over the last three years," said Cartwright.

"I cherish every win, they are too hard to get and everyone you get, you celebrate it like it's your first."

The next challenge for Cartwright will be getting his troops over the line against Penrith, the side he helped guide to a premiership in 1991 as a player.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
29-04-10, 05:23 AM
`Leaky right-side defence not a concern'

TITANS coach John Cartwright says his leaky right side defence is not a major concern despite rival teams repeatedly exposing it as the Gold Coast's greatest weakness.

The Sea Eagles were the latest side to target the young outside back pairing of Joseph Tomane and David Mead on Monday night and the Panthers look certain to do the same when they travel to Skilled Park on Saturday.

According to NRLStats.com the Titans have conceded 10 tries on their right edge so far this season, almost double the amount on the left (6) and up the middle (6) combined.

``We are in the top three or four defensive sides in the competition and you very rarely keep a side to nil so they have got to score points somewhere,'' said Cartwright.

``We have got a bit of inexperience on that side of the field and 95 per cent of the time they get it right.

``There are issues we will continue to work on but nothing I am too worried about.

''While young Tomane has been devastating in attack, he still has much to work on in defence.

The Melbourne Storm recruit has missed 34 tackles so far this season, the fourth worst in the competition behind Souths hooker Issac Luke (40), Warriors halfback James Maloney (40) and Bulldogs playmaker Brett Kimmorley (37).

Tomane was taken from the field in the 35th minute of the Titans clash against the Sea Eagles after a couple of early lapses and replaced by Jordan Atkins.

But Cartwright yesterday said he was committed to playing the 20-year-old rising star in the centres.

``I just thought his confidence was down a bit and gave him a spell on the sideline so he could have a good think about his game,'' said Cartwright.

``It freshened him up.

``He was always going to go back on and when he went back on I thought the tide of the game turned.

``The best thing about it was he responded in the right way. Cartwright said he had a discussion with the centre at half time of the clash.

``I had a talk to him at half time and told him to keep his head up and when he gets back out there to make a difference for the team and he did.''

'Cartwright admittted his right edge should be prepared for another barrage against Penrith on Saturday night.

``A higher percentage of plays go down that side of the field because that is where we have leaked,'' he said. ``So they have to do more work and make more decisions.

``You only have to get one wrong and they score.''

DIEHARD
29-04-10, 05:24 AM
Prince had secret training run

TITANS skipper Scott Prince had a secret training run at Pizzey Park yesterday to trial a new custom-made thumb guard in a further sign he is determined to play against the Panthers.

While speculation was rife that Prince has suffered a further setback after failing to train with the main squad in the morning at Robina.

The Gold Coast Bulletin can reveal he was absent because he was getting the guard made. Prince, who wears a similar protective guard on his arm after suffering a bad break in 2008, tested his thumb under the guidance of team physio Scott Thornton at the Burleigh Bears' home ground at Miami.

Despite reporting some stiffness and soreness in his thumb, Prince managed to complete a number of passing and catching drills.

How he performs at the Titans final training run tomorrow will ultimately decide whether he plays. ``We will be guided by his position and whether he can get through training,'' said Gold Coast coach John Cartwright.

``We have got a pretty short week this week so we won't know up until the day before the game.

``He will have to have a run before we can let him play. We definitely won't be risking him.

''The classy halfback had pins removed from his broken thumb on Tuesday and despite doctors advising him to wait another week, is determined to play. Prince suffered the injury against Canberra in Round 3.

The Titans have won two from four in their captain's absence, claiming the scalps of heavyweights Melbourne and Manly.

Meanwhile back rower Anthony Laffranchi and stand-in skipper Luke Bailey also failed to train yesterday morning, but Cartwright said both would play.

Laffranchi will be available for Saturday's clash with Penrith after taking an early guilty plea for a grade one careless high tackle on Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin in the Titans' 24-22 win at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

``It is only 48 hours since we played and some guys need a bit longer to recover than others,'' said Cartwright.

DIEHARD
29-04-10, 06:43 AM
After the Titans won their first match against the Panthers, Penrith have won their next two against the Titans.

Since the beginning of 2009 the Titans have won 14 of their 17 matches at Skilled Park. The will be looking to avoid consecutive defeats at home for the first time since Rd 26, 2008.

Penrith has won their last four matches. They have not won five consecutive matches since winning six consecutive matches from Rd 21, 2005 until Rd 1, 2006.

Penrith has won their last two away matches; they have not won three consecutive away matches since Rd 12, 2008.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

Steve
29-04-10, 07:10 AM
I'm hoping Prince is back for this, make it a great clash.

Hoping to see Jennings get in the clear so we can see if Gordon and Mead can run him down or if he'll leave them in his dust. :D

Remember this try? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahAkhnvAbsw

DIEHARD
30-04-10, 05:57 AM
Titans v Panthers
Saturday, Skilled Park, 5.30pm (AEST)

Referees: Jared Maxwell and Bernard Sutton
Head to head: Panthers 2, Titans 1
Last clash: Panthers 34 bt Titans 20 at CUA Stadium (rd 7, 2009)
TAB Sportsbet: Titans $1.70, Panthers $2.10
FootyTab: Panthers +2.5

This should be a terrific game, and a great opportunity for the Panthers to find out exactly where they stand. They have won four in a row to go to second on the competition table, but the Titans have built an excellent record at home during their short history in the NRL. This season, the Titans have beaten the Warriors, Raiders and Storm at home, and lost to the Dragons. The Panthers, on the road, have beaten the Knights and Warriors and lost to the Cowboys.

The Panthers won the battle of the big cats at home against the Tigers last weekend. It was a tight contest in the second half, but the Panthers ended up getting the victory by eight points, in a clear sign they are maturing as a side. In recent years, they would have more likely than not found a way to lose a close game like that. The Titans won on the road against the Sea Eagles, after looking like they were well off the pace for most of the game. But the Titans are real scrappers, and will understandably start favourites - if only slightly - at home.

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, David Mead, Greg Bird, Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey (capt), Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Matt White, Michael Henderson, Sam Tagataese, Jordan Atkins.

PANTHERS: Lachlan Coote, Michael Gordon, Michael Jennings, Adrian Purtell, Brad Tighe, Travis Burns, Luke Walsh, Tim Grant, Kevin Kingston, Petero Civoniceva (capt), Trent Waterhouse, Frank Pritchard, Luke Lewis. Interchange: Nathan Smith, Matthew Bell, Wade Graham, Sam McKendry, Masada Iosefa (one to be omitted)

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Tamwelg
30-04-10, 11:39 AM
Scott Prince likely starter for Titans against in-form Penrith

April 30, 2010

Gold Coast Titans skipper Scott Prince is poised to make an early NRL return from a broken thumb against the Penrith Panthers at Skilled Park.

Prince has completed a morning training session with the Titans and coach John Cartwright has declared him a likely starter against the in-form Panthers.

The Titans halfback showed no signs of discomfort in the 80-minute session, his first since having a pin removed from his thumb.

"If he wakes up OK in the morning he'll play," Cartwright said.

Prince's return would likely force a backline reshuffle with Preston Campbell moving from halfback to fullback.

Campbell was a stand-out in the Titans' upset 24-22 comeback victory over Manly at Brookvale Oval.

"It will be an advantage having (Prince) come back fresh after a short turnaround (from the Manly game)," Cartwright said.

"He's had four weeks off his legs - he can't wait."
www.foxsports.com.au

kwigibo
30-04-10, 12:21 PM
So Atkins dropped and Zilly to the bench

TITAN PETE
30-04-10, 12:58 PM
So Atkins dropped and Zilly to the bench

He should never make the 17 :boo:

titansrawesome
30-04-10, 04:23 PM
He should never make the 17 :boo:

i bet we all thought atkins was gonna be a superstar in round 1 2008.........

Coaster
30-04-10, 04:46 PM
Damn it!!

3rd home game in a row im gonna miss :fist: :nope: :fight:

lesson to all
Be careful what you wish for. Because there is always a price.

Adelaide Titan
30-04-10, 11:55 PM
im going for Gold Coast by 8 at home :) gonna be a cracking game! Will be watching this on TV for sure.

GO TITANS!

DIEHARD
01-05-10, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear that Coaster. You'll be missed once again. : ( hope you can get to one soon so we can catch up.

I am so happy that Prince is back. We performed nobly without him. And those wins against Manly and Melbourne areones we will remember forever.

Hopefully we will see our boys at season best form. The last loss at home really hurt. Really don't want anymore of that.

See you at the game! Make sure if it's possible that you come. We need your support! Go Titans!

titansrawesome
01-05-10, 10:57 AM
i bet on titans 1-12, so hopefully we win by 12:D

DIEHARD
01-05-10, 12:07 PM
I'd settle for any win. Panthers can score points. And if we can plug our defence with Tomane and Mead. They will find it hard to score.

Tonights game is a true test of Penrith's Premiership credentials.

AmericanTitan
01-05-10, 12:36 PM
I'm looking forward to watching this one. Should be a great game.

DIEHARD
01-05-10, 12:45 PM
Yea you'll see some great attackng rugby league. It'll come down to our defence though. Interested to see Prince. He
must be jumping outta his skin to rip in.

bigjim
01-05-10, 07:24 PM
In the past, even as a diehard Titan supporter, I have questioned some of their wins, but that was unquestionably a great win by a great team.:thumbsup:

Supergoose
01-05-10, 07:24 PM
Well, well, well. Seems playing bird in the back row with Campbell at 5/8 leads to the titans scoring stacks of points. Everything looked better with that line up. Zillman even looked more dangerous with Campbell feeding him some good ball. Now if only toopi and tomane can get the wingers some premium ball we'll be on fire. Impressed with White's performance and the backrow was on fire. Friend, Prince and Campbell were great and apart from a couple of errors defusing bombs and coming off our line it was an excellent performance.

Boofhead
01-05-10, 09:24 PM
1. William Zillman
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
13. Greg Bird

Way of the future, start of a beautiful thing.

titansrawesome
01-05-10, 09:26 PM
1. William Zillman
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
13. Greg Bird

hopefully john cartwright envisions this too

Tamwelg
01-05-10, 09:31 PM
1. William Zillman
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
13. Greg Bird

Yep, but I did like how carry played Bird 5/8 for the first 20 mins to soak up that part of the game and then put everyone in the positions you mention. I thought it worked well.

redwine10
01-05-10, 09:32 PM
They certainly looked better with presto at 5/8 and Bird at lock. It caused the Penrith defence a lot of problems. Gee, the forwards are playing well at the moment. Big Matt White had a super game - I think he realises Big Bubba Cannings is back.
With Luke O'Dwyer back in a couple of weeks, things azre looking good. Must say, it was disappointing to hear on the radio that Ben Ridge has signed a 3 year deal with Manly. He will be a loss.

titansrawesome
01-05-10, 09:40 PM
They certainly looked better with presto at 5/8 and Bird at lock. It caused the Penrith defence a lot of problems. Gee, the forwards are playing well at the moment. Big Matt White had a super game - I think he realises Big Bubba Cannings is back.
With Luke O'Dwyer back in a couple of weeks, things azre looking good. Must say, it was disappointing to hear on the radio that Ben Ridge has signed a 3 year deal with Manly. He will be a loss.

WHAT!!! damn i liked ben ridge, now he's going to manly:fight:, i lost on 1-12 but i got my money back and a bit more on storm 13+

eelectrica
01-05-10, 09:47 PM
Great game from the Titans. Really starting to click into gear.
Have a real chance to gain a lot of momentum now with winnable games coming up in Newcastle and Brisbane. Should be looking to win both of those.

karnage
01-05-10, 10:49 PM
Yes Eelectrica spot on.

We go Knights - Broncos - Bye.

There are 6 points just waiting to be collected there and if we can pick em all up we will be CLEARLY second and possibly even tied for 1st depending on how the high flying Saints go. If we reults go our way we could be 4 points clear of 3rd coming out of that bye. Wow!!

That third team we play - Bye - has a better chance of making the 8 than the Knights or the Broncos do so we have to put em away - HARD!! And if we play like we did tonight it will be no problem at all. Loved seeing Bird at lock where he belongs and didn't we look a different ball team with Prince back at the helm. It is impossible to underestimate how much he brings to our football team - he truly is an elite player who we should not take for granted.

psmitty
02-05-10, 03:43 AM
Great win by the Titans and it was good to see the Bird, Preston, Zillman experiment work well. My concern though is Tomane although he had a better game then he did against Manly he just doesn't pass the ball. I watched him all night and from what i could see he did not pass the ball once. We used to complain about Delaney not giving good ball to his winger. In my opinion he has taken it to another level and doesn't give mead any ball. I have not seen much of mead at all this year and would like to see him get more of the ball rather then him just doing dummy half runs during the game. Is Tomane just selfish with the ball because he certainly has the strength to make the breaks but if he could learn to pass more he has a zippy winger that could finish off more plays. Just my two cents.....

Steve
02-05-10, 06:48 AM
Well, well, well. Seems playing bird in the back row with Campbell at 5/8 leads to the titans scoring stacks of points. Everything looked better with that line up. Zillman even looked more dangerous with Campbell feeding him some good ball. Now if only toopi and tomane can get the wingers some premium ball we'll be on fire. Impressed with White's performance and the backrow was on fire. Friend, Prince and Campbell were great and apart from a couple of errors defusing bombs and coming off our line it was an excellent performance.

How long have we been calling for that?
Zillman will look even better with some decent game time.

While I was cheering for the Panthers last night, it was a highly enjoyable game. Close first half, and the blown out score didn't indicate just how close it was over all.

Panthers missed Pritchard, but Coote was on fire (except for tackling Ash after putting up a bomb, what the hell? If he'd chased the ball he likely would have scored).

I thought Preston was the best he's been in a long time, was elusive and hard to tackle. Prince had a great game too. Depending on how bad Thurston's injury was, he might be seeing Origin again this year.

Boonarga
02-05-10, 09:50 AM
I don't think Tomane is selfish. He just doesn't seem to be able to position his winger. Did anyone else see Travis Burns carrying on like a pork chop when we went 14 up? Looked like he was going to murder the touchies.

shamus
02-05-10, 10:35 AM
The best we have played in a long time...certainly the best we have played this season. Better than the Manly game IMO. (That was awesome defense...this was awesome everything) Almost error free.........I have no idea how many errors we did make but such a fantastic 'team' effort I really didn't notice too many.. :D

titanstattman
02-05-10, 11:29 AM
it was a great game last night for the titans and for the fans..

I for one hav said all along that bird should be in 13 thats where he has played his rep nd club footy. Everyone says he is going to bring the mongal to the side im yet to see it.. Playing 5/8 u to worried about running with the play maker and abit of kicking. Put in 13 nd than u might get wat u hav been calling for...

Titan2007
02-05-10, 12:10 PM
Bird is a 5/8 and Harrison is a lock. Harrison roams the field and covers in defence. Lock and 5/8 are basically the same anyway. Harrison defends his butt off all over the field. Bird's job is to get the ball out. These stats are proven. If it's not broken, why on earth would you want to change it? Why is it that you would prefer Bird at lock? I genuinely would like to know your thoughts. Thanks.

karnage
02-05-10, 01:10 PM
You don't think Bird has brought Mongrel to our defensive line Tattsman??

I must be watching different games to you mate. He is constantly in the oppositions faces and hitting them hard - he has also had a positive effect on Mini who defends inside him because he has been putting the shoulder in more this year too.

Luke Lewis showed him up in the first half last night with the offlaod that led to a try but he is the first guy to do it all year.

I was SUPER impressed by Lewis and he should be a walk up start for the Aussie #13 the way he is playing.

Supergoose
02-05-10, 01:28 PM
Dear Titan2007,

Just because we are winning doesn't mean it isn't broken. Last night was the first time that the Titans have moved Bird into the pack and Campbell played 5/8 from the 20th minute or so and the Titans looked better than at any stage of the previous 7 games. This is the same tactic that Cronulla used to use with Bird as well and they finished equal first (3rd on for an against) when they did that.

I agree somewhat with PSMITTY too. Tomane doesn't look to position his winger but he is young and I hope that the coaching staff is working with him at that. Toopi has made Kevin Gordon look more dangerous almost immediately and is showing how a centre should look to get his winger away. I wonder how we would go with Mead in the centres and Tomane on the wing and if that would add to our team. I know it would be good to have Tomane bringing the ball back from kicks as he is very difficult to tackle and he showed with a catch last night that he has what it takes under the high ball. Mead's acceleration from centre would give Tomane some space to work in as well and I'm thinking he could give us a bit of what Vatuvei gives the Warriors. I'm still not certain what our best 17 is with a number of blokes still coming back from injury. Great position to be in with pressure on every player to perform week-in and week-out. It will be interesting to see what our side looks like in the finals if we're all fit and healthy - whatever it is, you can guarantee the players that are there would've earned it.

Ryan
02-05-10, 02:24 PM
I for one hav said all along that bird should be in 13 thats where he has played his rep nd club footy. Everyone says he is going to bring the mongal to the side im yet to see it......

Bird got 'MOM' and 'Players Player' awards when playing 5/8 for Austalia and NSW - not at lock. At cronulla he was switched between lock & 5/8 several times, much to the same way Carty did lastnight.

I like Bird in 5/8 mainly to keep our defensive line bigger, it's harder to cover for two small halves (Prince & Campbell) - but when you got a bigger 5/8, you only have to worry about covering the halfback.

What Carty did last night worked well, starting Bird in #6 then rotating the boys around when Zillman came on. That didn't happen till the 35min mark though when the sting was taken out of the Penrith, our forwards made all the tackles then our backs made all the meters.
The team was so much more organised in attack with Prince there, then we had Preston, Zillman and Bird running around as attacking options aswell as Laffranchi and Friend doing their usual close to the line.

It worked well last night, but it needs to work more consistanly to declare it a success. But overall, IMO, it was Prince that made us so much better last night, not so much the Bird-Campbell-Zillman rotation.

Titan2007
02-05-10, 04:49 PM
I agree somewhat with PSMITTY too. Tomane doesn't look to position his winger but he is young and I hope that the coaching staff is working with him at that. Toopi has made Kevin Gordon look more dangerous almost immediately and is showing how a centre should look to get his winger away. I wonder how we would go with Mead in the centres and Tomane on the wing and if that would add to our team. I know it would be good to have Tomane bringing the ball back from kicks as he is very difficult to tackle and he showed with a catch last night that he has what it takes under the high ball. Mead's acceleration from centre would give Tomane some space to work in as well and I'm thinking he could give us a bit of what Vatuvei gives the Warriors. I'm still not certain what our best 17 is with a number of blokes still coming back from injury. Great position to be in with pressure on every player to perform week-in and week-out. It will be interesting to see what our side looks like in the finals if we're all fit and healthy - whatever it is, you can guarantee the players that are there would've earned it.

Yes, I totally agree, thanks.

Titan2007
02-05-10, 04:59 PM
Bird got 'MOM' and 'Players Player' awards when playing 5/8 for Austalia and NSW - not at lock. At cronulla he was switched between lock & 5/8 several times, much to the same way Carty did lastnight.

Bird is a better 5/8, because of your exact reasons above and below.

I like Bird in 5/8 mainly to keep our defensive line bigger, it's harder to cover for two small halves (Prince & Campbell) - but when you got a bigger 5/8, you only have to worry about covering the halfback.

What Carty did last night worked well, starting Bird in #6 then rotating the boys around when Zillman came on. That didn't happen till the 35min mark though when the sting was taken out of the Penrith, our forwards made all the tackles then our backs made all the meters.
The team was so much more organised in attack with Prince there, then we had Preston, Zillman and Bird running around as attacking options aswell as Laffranchi and Friend doing their usual close to the line.

It worked well last night, but it needs to work more consistanly to declare it a success. But overall, IMO, it was Prince that made us so much better last night, not so much the Bird-Campbell-Zillman rotation. I agree too.

GCT_89
03-05-10, 12:30 AM
Must say, it was disappointing to hear on the radio that Ben Ridge has signed a 3 year deal with Manly. He will be a loss.

WAIT! WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?
:surprise:
is that confirmed?
have i missed something??

titanstattman
03-05-10, 08:31 AM
You don't think Bird has brought Mongrel to our defensive line Tattsman??

I must be watching different games to you mate. He is constantly in the oppositions faces and hitting them hard - he has also had a positive effect on Mini who defends inside him because he has been putting the shoulder in more this year too.

Luke Lewis showed him up in the first half last night with the offlaod that led to a try but he is the first guy to do it all year.

I was SUPER impressed by Lewis and he should be a walk up start for the Aussie #13 the way he is playing.

Not as much as everyone thought he would.. I think him out in the 13 nd the little guy up in 5/8 we'll get more points on the table...

IMO thats all... I understand wat other ppl are saying i just feel nd see thats a better way for us nd iv said that b4 he even got signed

Tamwelg
03-05-10, 09:25 AM
I agree there is more points in the team with presto at 5/8, but the no mongrel from Bird, WOW, you are joking right. Bird put on some massive hits in the first 4 rounds and his mongrel has rubbed off on all the forwards, they are running and tackling harder this year.

Toopi has slotted in at left centre very nicely. He is strong in defense, runs some good lines and looks to get the ball to his winger. Tomane was much better in defense this week and as someone mention, he didn't get the ball to Mead. I watched the replay just now and there wasn't really any opportunities for him to pass it.

Nice to see Zillman get involved with some play making roles like all good fullbacks in the modern game do.

We were a lot more organized with Princey back. He makes a huge difference to the team.

The forwards are the main reason for our success this year. They are winni
g the battle against every pack they have come up against this year IMO.

Ryan
03-05-10, 10:06 AM
The forwards are the main reason for our success this year. They are winni
g the battle against every pack they have come up against this year IMO.

Spot on. (Apart from the spelling\grammar)

I laugh at all the commentators calling our games. Before and durring every match they rubbish the Titans, pointing out all their "weakness" and saying how they were lucky to win last weeks game ect, ect. Then after the match and we have won, again, they are all 'umming', 'arrghing' and stuttering trying to come up with some proffessional sounding conclusion as to why we won and why their match prediction was wrong.

At the start of the season they were all bagging our forward pack saying they were too soft, small, ect. Now 8 rounds in, they have rolled allmost all the top sides in the comp........

I've been trying to call Foxs sports after each match to give them a live verbal on my thoughts, but haven't been able to get through yet. It'll will be funny when I eventually do though :laugh:

titansrawesome
03-05-10, 10:51 AM

I laugh at all the commentators calling our games. Before and durring every match they rubbish the Titans, pointing out all their "weakness" and saying how they were lucky to win last weeks game ect, ect. Then after the match and we have won, again, they are all 'umming', 'arrghing' and stuttering trying to come up with some proffessional sounding conclusion as to why we won and why their match prediction was wrong.

At the start of the season they were all bagging our forward pack saying they were too soft, small, ect. Now 8 rounds in, they have rolled allmost all the top sides in the comp........

I've been trying to call Foxs sports after each match to give them a live verbal on my thoughts, but haven't been able to get through yet. It'll will be funny when I eventually do though :laugh:

after next mondays game you can ring up the foxsports nrl crew(ryan phelan,tallis,freeman,junior)

titanstattman
03-05-10, 11:33 AM
IMO thats all... I understand wat other ppl are saying i just feel nd see thats a better way for us nd iv said that b4 he even got signed

I agree there is more points in the team with presto at 5/8, but the no mongrel from Bird, WOW, you are joking right. Bird put on some massive hits in the first 4 rounds and his mongrel has rubbed off on all the forwards, they are running and tackling harder this year.

Im not joking but thats the way i see it IMO we all look at it diff......

I hear wat ur saying Daly is the wrost with Tallis 2nd....

Each week end on the sat nd monday iv been trying also to get on there to ask them the same Q?s

Tamwelg
03-05-10, 12:43 PM

hahaha I guess that's what happens when I reply from the iphone LOL.

Tamwelg
03-05-10, 12:50 PM
Im not joking but thats the way i see it IMO we all look at it diff......

And that's what make discussion on here interesting. The fact everyone sees it differently leads to some interesting comments / debates.

titanstattman
03-05-10, 02:01 PM
And that's what make discussion on here interesting. The fact everyone sees it differently leads to some interesting comments / debates.

Oh so true..