PDA

View Full Version : Round 7: Manly Sea Eagles vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
18-04-10, 11:33 PM
Manly Sea Eagles vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
18-04-10, 11:34 PM
Toopi eyes NRL comeback

Clinton Toopi faces an anxious wait before discovering whether an injury to Mat Rogers leads to the former Kiwis centre's return to the National Rugby League (NRL).

Toopi shapes as a potential replacement for dual international Rogers who hyper extended his left knee during the Gold Coast Titans' 20-point loss to St George Illawarra on Friday night.

The 29-year-old former New Zealand Warriors centurion has been confined to the second-tier Queensland Cup competition since the Titans signed him to a one-year incentive-based deal, reviving his rugby league career after a brief injury-plagued flirtation with union at Bay of Plenty in 2009.

Toopi was essentially trialling for Rogers position last night as the Titans' feeder club Burleigh Bears beat the Central Comets.

"I've had a couple of steady games here and there, I was happy after last night's game," Toopi said.

Jordan Aitkens, Toopi's centre partner with the Bears, the other option under consideration by Titans head coach John Cartwright for next Monday's trip to Manly. Cartwright names his line-up on Tuesday.

Toopi, who is behind Rogers and impressive Wellington-born rookie Joseph Tomane in the Titans' midfield pecking order, admitted it had been frustrating waiting in the wings.

"It's hard as a player to have to wait for somebody to get injured before you get a shot," he said.

"It's unfortunate for Mat but it opens the gate for myself and a couple of other players."

Toopi pronounced himself satisfied with an injury-free campaign in the Queensland Cup though he was yet to rediscover his try-scoring touch.

"I've been running the ball well and defensively I've been good, I just want to get on the scoreboard," he said.

Cartwright was hopeful Rogers, 34, would only miss "four to six weeks", presuming scans tomorrow confirm a medial ligament tear rather than a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament - a setback that could require season-ending reconstructive surgery.

Toopi made 119 appearances for the Warriors between 1999 and 2006 before joining former Kiwis coach Brian McClennan at English Super League club Leeds.

http://tvnz.co.nz/

titansrawesome
19-04-10, 02:08 PM
cmon toopi make us proud

DIEHARD
19-04-10, 02:41 PM
It's a public holiday, so if you are in NSW head to the game or if you are on the Gold Coast, join us at the Titanium Bar.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
19-04-10, 02:49 PM
Just to let all the titans fans know who are attending the Manly sea eagles vs Gold coast titans Game. I will be selling tickets for the relay for life cancer council fund.Win a signed 2010 Titans Home jersey. Tickets are $5 and the winner will be announced at the Gold coast titans vs penrith panthers game at skilled park.Dont have to be there to win it just buy a ticket and if you win we can post it to you.

DIEHARD
19-04-10, 06:11 PM
Storm v Manly on MNF now. Check out the opposition for next week.

Boofhead
19-04-10, 06:22 PM
Toopi coming in for Rogers just seems logical to me... we need a old head in the backline to help the youngster build confidence.

Lift your game Toops, this is your opportunity!

titansrawesome
19-04-10, 09:07 PM
we are screwed this week, i have a very bad feeling, sea eagles and dragons are the teams to beat.

teke
20-04-10, 01:32 AM
I too can see a massive flogging coming the Titans way.

Tamwelg
20-04-10, 07:24 AM

Not going to happen, they'll bounce back.

titanstattman
20-04-10, 08:53 AM

I dont see nothing comming but a good tough game... we can win anywhere wen we playing right so dont right the team off u support week b4 the game.......

I tip my team everyweek no matter who we are going to play cause its our belief that gets our boys over the line sum times....

Tamwelg
20-04-10, 01:44 PM
Toopi to make NRL return against Manly
Adam Gardini
20/04/2010 2:05:32 PM

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans centre Clinton Toopi will make his anticipated return to the NRL after being named in a new-look Titans line-up for Monday night's clash against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Four years since last playing in the NRL for the New Zealand Warriors, Toopi has been named to return to top flight rugby league for the Jestar Titans in the absence of injured centre Mat Rogers.

Rogers has been ruled out for between 8-12 weeks with a medial ligament tear in his left knee.

The promotion comes as just reward for Toopi, who joined the Jetstar Titans initially on a trial basis during the pre-season after a stint with Leeds in the UK Super League and rugby union in New Zealand.

The experienced centre played 129 NRL games for the Warriors between 1999 and 2006.

"It's been a bit of a nervous two days, a lot of friends and family have been texting me saying 'are you in' and I didn't really have an answer,'' said Toopi.

"It means so much - there's been a lot of doubt over my time since last year and since I got here it's been a bit of a tough road with injury after injury but to sort of come over that hump and now I'm lining up against Manly - one of the benchmark teams that have a class side and you've just got to be on your game for them.

"It still hasn't fully sunk in yet to be totally honest with you. I guess I've still got to perform, that's the main thing. I'm in the team now but as my wife said I've got to pull my finger out.

"I've been given an opportunity and the good thing about this club is they've got depth so in order for me to cement a spot I've got to be on my game.

"I've just got to really make the most of this opportunity and not let the club down or the people that have trusted me to do the job.''

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said it was pleasing to hand Toopi the good news after the former Kiwi international's hard road back to the NRL.

"It's not nice after a loss, the ensuing days, but it's always nice to give a bit of good news to someone,'' said Cartwright.

"To see all the hard work he's put in and a lot of time since his last NRL game and I suppose that was the thought process behind it - he'll go out there and give his best and that's all you can ask for.

"He's thrown everything he can into playing NRL again at close to 30 years of age and he gets a chance to impress on Monday.''

Titans v Manly
Monday, April 26
7pm, Brookvale Oval

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Preston Campbell
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matt White
15 Michael Henderson
16 Sam Tagataese
17 Jordan Atkins
18 Will Matthews.
Coach: John Cartwright

Titans NYC v Manly NYC

1 Japeth Vaoa
2 Guy Borgas
3 Sione Aka’uola
4 Stirling Siejka
5 Lachlan Creighton
6 Jordan Rankin
7 Cody Walker
8 Josh Coyle
9 Matthew Srama
10 Luke Page
11 Dominic Walsh
12 Kurt Foggo
13 Steve Gillett
Interchange
14 Leon Taylor
15 Jack Clark
16 Sam Saville
17 Rhys Jacks
18 Matthew Hundy
19 Chris Bloomfield
Coach: Rod Patison

www.titans.com.au

daveyk
20-04-10, 02:00 PM
Rogers injury opens door for Toopi
| April 20th, 2010

TITANS star Mat Rogers is out for up to 12 weeks, opening the door for Clinton Toopi to make his much-anticipated return to elite rugby league.

Four years after last playing at NRL level with the New Zealand Warriors, Toopi has been named for Monday night's away clash against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

While Toopi's promotion is welcome, the Titans were dealt a big blow with news that 34-year-old Rogers is out for up to three months with a medial ligament tear in his left knee.

Toopi joined the Titans on a trial basis during the pre-season after a stint with Leeds in the UK Super League and rugby union in New Zealand.

The experienced centre played 129 NRL games for the Warriors between 1999 and 2006.

``It's been a bit of a nervous two days, a lot of friends and family have been texting me saying 'are you in' and I didn't really have an answer,'' said Toopi.

``It means so much.''

Gold Coast Titans (v Manly, 7pm Monday)
1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Preston Campbell
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matt White
15 Michael Henderson
16 Sam Tagataese
17 Jordan Atkins
18 Will Matthews

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/04/20/209935_gold-coast-titans.html

titansrawesome
20-04-10, 03:55 PM
please omit jordan atkins

DIEHARD
20-04-10, 04:06 PM
Welcome back to the NRL Clinton! I have to admit it's hard not to get a little lump in your throat seeing him on Fox Sports News ringing his family to tell them the good news.

A bit of inspired recruitment bringing him on board. Who would have thought this early in the season we'd be without Esi and Mat...

As Boofhead says, a bit of experience in the backline will really help the youngsters.

A Toopi/Tomane centre combinations is pretty devastating flanked by some lightning wingers.

Atkins would be left out IMO.

titansrawesome
20-04-10, 04:08 PM
i just sent some mail in for the adjudicator, no surprise he didn't pick us again. last week he finally picked us and we lost

gotitans101
20-04-10, 04:10 PM
Anyone know what's going on with Esi Tonga? Will he ever make a return?

titansrawesome
20-04-10, 04:18 PM
Anyone know what's going on with Esi Tonga? Will he ever make a return?

not this season

daveyk
20-04-10, 05:44 PM
not this season

and where is that from...

Ryan
20-04-10, 05:52 PM
and where is that from...
His ****, like most of his replies.

Last I read, Tonga was out for up to 6months from February with a torn pec. So that leaves a possible return for the finals....

daveyk
20-04-10, 06:00 PM
His ****, like most of his replies.

Last I read, Tonga was out for up to 6months from February with a torn pec. So that leaves a possible return for the finals....

exactly coz the last report i saw was on 9news GC and he is recovering very well and is back training and maybe be back even earlier

karnage
20-04-10, 06:56 PM
Welcome back to the NRL Clinton! I have to admit it's hard not to get a little lump in your throat seeing him on Fox Sports News ringing his family to tell them the good news.

A bit of inspired recruitment bringing him on board. Who would have thought this early in the season we'd be without Esi and Mat...

As Boofhead says, a bit of experience in the backline will really help the youngsters.

A Toopi/Tomane centre combinations is pretty devastating flanked by some lightning wingers.

Atkins would be left out IMO.

Lightning wingers are only good if they ever get the ball. Let's hope Toopi can create some space for the fast men, something Rogers and Tomana have failed dismally at this year.

titansrawesome
20-04-10, 07:04 PM
exactly coz the last report i saw was on 9news GC and he is recovering very well and is back training and maybe be back even earlier

well i looked at a foxsports news report at the start of the season and they said he would be out for 6 months which is the season.

titansrawesome
20-04-10, 07:05 PM
Lightning wingers are only good if they ever get the ball. Let's hope Toopi can create some space for the fast men, something Rogers and Tomana have failed dismally at this year.

in tomane's defense he has set up mead for a try or two, but yeah the wingers aren't getting much open ball.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
20-04-10, 09:19 PM
Referees:J Maxwell/B Sutton
Colour: Pink
Sideline Officials: P Holland,G Morris
Video Referee: S Hampstead

teke
20-04-10, 11:31 PM
Manly love testing teams on the edges with Glen Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Matai. Toopi will be walking right into a firestorm Monday night, hope he gets up to speed quickly and plays well.

Its going to be hard for the Titans to stop the big Manly pack going forward.

teke
20-04-10, 11:35 PM
Lightning wingers are only good if they ever get the ball. Let's hope Toopi can create some space for the fast men, something Rogers and Tomana have failed dismally at this year.Tomane has been off the pace so far this year and has been told so on a couple of half times this year. The wingers have been given nothing, Toops is experienced enough and has stated he will just give the ball on and let Kev do his stuff. That is all he needs to do imo.

Mushi
21-04-10, 04:57 AM
manly played a good game against storm on Monday night so hoping the titans lift immensly after last week and play a good game of footy down there in manly territory. titans will have been very disappointed with how they played against the dragons (like the cowboys) so hope they hold the ball and get over the line without excess penalties and fumbles this week!!! comeon boys you can do it!!

smithers12345
21-04-10, 02:55 PM
when do you think youngster Shannon walker will play for the titans in 2010?

eelectrica
21-04-10, 03:19 PM
Titans were very flat the week after facing Melbourne. Let's hope Manly are just as flat next Monday.

If the Titans can play Manly like they did the 2nd half against Melbourne they can win. We know they have it in them, just have to produce.

Keep it close in the first half and get them in the 2nd. For some reason Manly haven't been having great 2nds halves and for the most part the Titans have been a 2nd half team this year.

Ryan
21-04-10, 03:30 PM
when do you think youngster Shannon walker will play for the titans in 2010?
Providing Shannon is in form at the time, it would probably take at least 2 injuries between Campbell, Zillman, Mead & Gordon before a spot would open up. He might get a bench spot before then though - alot of "if's" so who knows??????

titansrawesome
21-04-10, 03:46 PM
Titans were very flat the week after facing Melbourne. Let's hope Manly are just as flat next Monday.

If the Titans can play Manly like they did the 2nd half against Melbourne they can win. We know they have it in them, just have to produce.

Keep it close in the first half and get them in the 2nd. For some reason Manly haven't been having great 2nds halves and for the most part the Titans have been a 2nd half team this year.

don't quote me on this but i think theres a stat saying teams winning after monday night have poor records the following week.

GCT_89
21-04-10, 05:48 PM
don't quote me on this but i think theres a stat saying teams winning after monday night have poor records the following week.

that is usually because of the short turnaround....only manly are playing monday night two weeks in a row this time.....

i was down at brookvale (land of the dogs) last year when we got dusted up and it wasnt a pretty sight.....hopefully we bounce back after the terrible loss last week

Sydney Titans Fanatic
21-04-10, 05:55 PM
Can anyone tell me when the titans arrive in sydney on the weekend presuming there flying jetstar...

titansrawesome
21-04-10, 07:14 PM
that is usually because of the short turnaround....only manly are playing monday night two weeks in a row this time.....

i was down at brookvale (land of the dogs) last year when we got dusted up and it wasnt a pretty sight.....hopefully we bounce back after the terrible loss last week

me real concern is the forwards and also tony williams, btw i know this is off topic but does any1 still paint themselves blue at titans game.

TITAN PETE
21-04-10, 09:38 PM
Can anyone tell me when the titans arrive in sydney on the weekend presuming there flying jetstar...

They fly into Sydney on Sunday morning

DIEHARD
21-04-10, 09:48 PM

SUN, Apr 25 ? 9.30am arrive Gold Coast airport for departure on JQ407. :thumbsup:

smithers12345
21-04-10, 10:50 PM
oh ok, i watched him play in 2007 and he sure has the pace to play 1st grade, he hasn't really been given the chance to prove himself in 1st grade but i hope to see him come into the team sooner or later

Adelaide Titan
21-04-10, 11:54 PM
unfortunately, im not too confident about this one. the loss of Prince is killing us.

Manly by 13+ :(

titansrawesome
22-04-10, 06:42 AM
unfortunately, im not too confident about this one. the loss of Prince is killing us.

Manly by 13+ :(

sigh we can only hope, manly have the best forward pack in the nrl

titanstattman
22-04-10, 06:50 AM
titans by 6

titanstattman
22-04-10, 10:46 AM
TITANS hardman Michael Henderson is expecting nothing short of an all-out forwards war when the Gold Coast invade Manly's Brookvale Oval fortress on Monday.

The Titans playing group turned on each other during a brutal training session at Robina yesterday, with tough guys Bodene Thompson and Greg Bird casualties as coach John Cartwright put his troops through a series of full-contact defensive drills.

The club is looking to bounce back from a disappointing loss to the Dragons, while the Sea Eagles are fresh from literally belting Melbourne into submission.

Cartwright said the physical session was designed to prepare his players for a torrid encounter with the form side of the competition.

"They are a tough side to handle if they turn up with that same intensity," said Cartwright.

"We have got to make sure we go down there and are ready to match that. There's a couple of areas that we needed to address.

"You never tell them to go at full tilt but today they did.

"We try and make everything competitive, you do that and you generally find it brings the best out in them.

"Nobody likes getting beaten in a game or against each other."

Bird was simply felled for a couple minutes thanks to a mistimed hit by utility Luke O'Dwyer, who this week returned to full-contact training following knee surgery last year.

But there is a slight concern over young prop Thompson, who was seen nursing a shoulder injury.

Thompson is scheduled to return from a three-week suspension this Saturday for Burleigh in the Queensland Cup.

Titans front-rower Henderson, who was a standout in last week's dour clash against St George Illawarra, predicted Manly would try to muscle them out of the game like they did to Melbourne last Monday.

"Manly were very clinical in the first half, they just bashed them out of it," said Henderson.

"Manly did all the damage in the first half and I guess they will be looking to do the same to us.

"We just have to put our bodies on the line, get numbers in the tackle and control the middle of the ruck. If they get quick play the balls and stop us from going forward, we are going to be no hope."

Henderson said the Titans forwards would carry even more responsibility into the match, with centre Mat Rogers joining skipper Scott Prince in the injury ward.

"We have just had to simplify the way we play," he said. "Because those guys are such influential players, we have to simplify everything to make everyone's job easier.

"We want them in the side, but it probably helps to miss some key players at certain stages because it could happen at the important time of the year.

"But it doesn't matter who your halves are, if your forwards aren't going forward you are not going to control the game anyway."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/04/22/210425_gold-coast-titans.html

titanstattman
22-04-10, 10:47 AM
IT was the place where the Titans' stunning slide out of premiership contention started last year.

But the return to Brookvale Oval holds no fears for the Gold Coast as they attempt to smash one of their last hoodoos.

The Titans have never won at Brookvale Oval, falling well short in all three previous attempts.

Aside from road trips to Melbourne and Canberra, the Titans suffered their heaviest loss against the Sea Eagles in the final round of last year, a 38-4 drubbing that robbed the club of any momentum heading into their maiden finals campaign.

After going down to Manly, the Titans tumbled out of the play-offs in straight sets with a 40-32 loss to Brisbane and a 27-2 pummelling at the hands of eventual grand finalists Parramatta.

"We got dusted last year," said Titans prop Michael Henderson.

"They are tough at Brookvale, but that is just another obstacle.

"The past is the past and we just have to look forward."

The clashes between the Titans and Manly have developed into one of the young club's fiercest rivalries.

The drama between the two club stems back to when coach John Cartwright was fined $5000 for confronting the video referee the first time the two sides met in 2007.

In 2008 Titans hooker Nathan Friend's season ended in suspension, after punching Sea Eagles prop Josh Perry in the face in reaction to an off-the-ball shot on teammate Daniel Conn.

The gutsy rake backed it up last year by branding the then defending premiers '****y', 'arrogant' and 'disrespectful' in the lead-up to their Round 11 clash at Skilled Park.

But that match was also not without drama, as the Coast nabbed an 18-17 win thanks to a controversial penalty that left Sea Eagles boss Des Hasler fuming.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/04/22/210525_gold-coast-titans.html

Adelaide Titan
22-04-10, 11:58 AM
if it was at Skilled Park, i'd be a lot more confident!

titansrawesome
22-04-10, 12:34 PM
Brookevale sends shivers down my spine when i comes to the titans, i think the closest game we had was sea eagles 26-10 in 07

tallis12
22-04-10, 12:53 PM
Ive tipped the titans to win :) they will be up for this one !

titanstattman
22-04-10, 01:38 PM
Ive tipped the titans to win :) they will be up for this one !

Thats wat i like to hear..

Titans by 6

Sydney Titans Fanatic
22-04-10, 02:30 PM
IT was the place where the Titans' stunning slide out of premiership contention started last year.

But the return to Brookvale Oval holds no fears for the Gold Coast as they attempt to smash one of their last hoodoos.

The Titans have never won at Brookvale Oval, falling well short in all three previous attempts.

Aside from road trips to Melbourne and Canberra, the Titans suffered their heaviest loss against the Sea Eagles in the final round of last year, a 38-4 drubbing that robbed the club of any momentum heading into their maiden finals campaign.

After going down to Manly, the Titans tumbled out of the play-offs in straight sets with a 40-32 loss to Brisbane and a 27-2 pummelling at the hands of eventual grand finalists Parramatta.

"We got dusted last year," said Titans prop Michael Henderson.

"They are tough at Brookvale, but that is just another obstacle.

"The past is the past and we just have to look forward."

The clashes between the Titans and Manly have developed into one of the young club's fiercest rivalries.

The drama between the two club stems back to when coach John Cartwright was fined $5000 for confronting the video referee the first time the two sides met in 2007.

In 2008 Titans hooker Nathan Friend's season ended in suspension, after punching Sea Eagles prop Josh Perry in the face in reaction to an off-the-ball shot on teammate Daniel Conn.

The gutsy rake backed it up last year by branding the then defending premiers '****y', 'arrogant' and 'disrespectful' in the lead-up to their Round 11 clash at Skilled Park.

But that match was also not without drama, as the Coast nabbed an 18-17 win thanks to a controversial penalty that left Sea Eagles boss Des Hasler fuming.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/04/22/210525_gold-coast-titans.html

Do it again!!!!if manly want to play like grubs sure we can serve up some medicine for them

tallis12
22-04-10, 04:19 PM
Thats wat i like to hear..

Titans by 6

Agreed titans in a close one. :D

titansrawesome
22-04-10, 04:30 PM
Agreed titans in a close one. :D

i hope foran and perry go off after being ko'ed from a big hit like last year with perry and ross

daveyk
22-04-10, 05:59 PM
the closet game was i think last year at home... wasnt it titans by two thanks to a late penalty on orford??

titansrawesome
22-04-10, 06:30 PM
the closet game was i think last year at home... wasnt it titans by two thanks to a late penalty on orford??

sorry i was referring 2 brookvale

daveyk
22-04-10, 06:34 PM
sorry i was referring 2 brookvale

sweet as... wasnt sure

titanstattman
22-04-10, 06:40 PM

19-18 to us i think it was

titansrawesome
22-04-10, 06:51 PM
19-18 to us i think it was

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't brookie also the only place we have never one(including the old giants,chargers and seagulls)

titanstattman
22-04-10, 06:58 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't brookie also the only place we have never one(including the old giants,chargers and seagulls)

Yeah its the last hedoo to get over

titansrawesome
22-04-10, 07:05 PM
Yeah its the last hedoo to get over

yeah, and also i would like us to beat the raiders in canberra:thumbsup:

hully gully
22-04-10, 08:13 PM

yeh orford took out campbell in a kick and chase..
The other thing is i think generally all teams who defeat the Storm usually lose their next game we had ours last week.... now its manly's turn..

Sydney Titans Fanatic
22-04-10, 08:14 PM
remember last year we beat the storm then backed it up against the cowboys

Blazertaser
22-04-10, 08:21 PM
we are screwed this week, i have a very bad feeling, sea eagles and dragons are the teams to beat.

Ahhh such little faith, Never underestimate the titans
If we can beat a team that has over $700'000 in salary cap breaches
I think we can beat any team :)

Yes after seeing monday nights game, it will be a hard fought game
But dont sign off the titans just yet, Its not over till the fat lady sings as the saying goes

Blazer:thumbsup:

hully gully
22-04-10, 08:23 PM
remember last year we beat the storm then backed it up against the cowboys

Thats the formula shattered now i'll have to check the tea leaves for the answer,............

daveyk
24-04-10, 05:29 PM
the legion feature on the foxsports add for the game on monday.... :thumbsup:

GCT_07
24-04-10, 06:38 PM
HATE to say it but I m not convinced on this next game. If Prince is out and Matty is out...... who is our leader?

Certainly not Bull or Presto..... they are not vocal leaders.

They also wont have the fans to fire them up.

I m sorry.... but I just dont have a good feeling on this one and I hate hate HATE that its against Manly. :fight:

titansrawesome
24-04-10, 07:33 PM
HATE to say it but I m not convinced on this next game. If Prince is out and Matty is out...... who is our leader?

Certainly not Bull or Presto..... they are not vocal leaders.

They also wont have the fans to fire them up.

I m sorry.... but I just dont have a good feeling on this one and I hate hate HATE that its against Manly. :fight:

yep its a daunting task, but maybe we can have an inspired win like 08 against the 4th placed roosters with half our team out.

kwigibo
24-04-10, 08:14 PM
Okay, wingers named Gordon scoring a lot of points tonight, hope that trend continues for the whole round.

isaiah
26-04-10, 03:32 PM
any late changes for either side?

DIEHARD
26-04-10, 04:09 PM
I really think we can break our Brooky hoodoo tonight.

Good luck to our Titans and all the fans braving the conditions at Brookvale. :)

titansrawesome
26-04-10, 04:33 PM
I really think we can break our Brooky hoodoo tonight.

Good luck to our Titans and all the fans braving the conditions at Brookvale. :)

i hope your right, now that there is added incentive for me.

kwigibo
26-04-10, 05:08 PM
any late changes for either side?

Will Matthews played for Tweed I think, so I guess Atkins is a certainty, or Prince is a shock comeback?

Boofhead
26-04-10, 06:02 PM
I have a good feeling about this one, need to start strong though.

Enjoy the game guys!

Boofhead
26-04-10, 06:09 PM
What an absolute classic, haha.

Kevin Gordon line break after Stewart dropped the ball.

Titans 6-0.

Boofhead
26-04-10, 06:26 PM
Points leaking through back three again.

12-6. Manly

kwigibo
26-04-10, 06:38 PM
Damn, bad hands and bad refereeing, they need to fix the one they can control, but Manly's forward pack has barely reached the advantage line all night and they keep getting piggybacked up the field by Maxwell.

gotitans101
26-04-10, 06:40 PM
No complaints from the ref from me, we've had chances but blew it every time. Why can we never hold onto the ball ffs.

Boofhead
26-04-10, 06:45 PM
Preston you bloody beauty!

Boofhead
26-04-10, 06:53 PM
Loving these big hits from our boys, they are walking wounded Manly. Half-time will only do us good.

:fight:

TITAN PETE
26-04-10, 07:00 PM
Tomane is the difference in this game he's not up to it, in the 1st half anyway so let's hope he learns how to tackle & catch the ball

kwigibo
26-04-10, 07:02 PM
Penalties 5-0 to them, let's hope the refs really are in the business of square-ups.

kwigibo
26-04-10, 07:06 PM
Penalties 5-0 to them, let's hope the refs really are in the business of square-ups.

Apparently not, Kite was in that tackle so long I thought he was going to build a house there.

kwigibo
26-04-10, 07:10 PM
7 tackle sets now.

jimbeam06
26-04-10, 07:33 PM
Not looking good

Ryan
26-04-10, 07:36 PM
Not looking good
That looked pretty good.......

jimbeam06
26-04-10, 07:39 PM
lol i take that back

jimbeam06
26-04-10, 07:44 PM
can we hold on

kwigibo
26-04-10, 07:48 PM
Yes! Who do I pay to make sure Laurie Daley is not allowed to speak on television ever again?

helcam4
26-04-10, 07:51 PM
****, now they will say we where lucky because we got a penilty in the 48th minute,lol,what a way to hang in and win a game , congrat`s boys well done

patskE
26-04-10, 07:52 PM
how did we win that?
how?
someone? plz?
someone has to be done with this right side defense... mead is fast and an strong runner, but i dnt think he has an footy mind like gordan, i dnt know
bird, friend, presto, gordon all good
and toopi was solid aswell
felt safe as when they went gordon's side, but every time they went to mead omg, heart race'd

Ryan
26-04-10, 07:54 PM
how did we win that?
how?
someone? plz?

Black Magic

TITAN PETE
26-04-10, 07:55 PM
Brilliant win & Friendys pass of the century , also a big thank you to the TAB for waving the $4.20 in front of me

jimbeam06
26-04-10, 07:55 PM
What a win :banana:

Tamwelg
26-04-10, 07:56 PM
You little ripper. Won it in the forwards, with a bit Friendy magic. What did you think of that Teke :D

Boonarga
26-04-10, 08:02 PM
As quite a few of us said some time back, we had to pay Friend whatever he wanted to keep him. I can't believe there was ever a chance of letting him go. He is the heart and soul of this team and I wouldn't swap him for any hooker in the comp. Smith included.

gotitans101
Great second half by the Titans!

kwigibo
Presto or Friend have to be Dally M contenders this year. Presto, tries, try assists, kick chases, 4/4 as 3rd string kicker. I wish he was a Queenslander, we would have appreciated the greatness.

kwigibo
26-04-10, 08:07 PM
As quite a few of us said some time back, we had to pay Friend whatever he wanted to keep him. I can't believe there was ever a chance of letting him go. He is the heart and soul of this team and I wouldn't swap him for any hooker in the comp. Smith included.

Friend has to be the fittest player in the league, built for Origin, but let them take Ballin or Payne if they need a hooker, I don't want Friend missing for one game this year.

squirrell
26-04-10, 08:09 PM
awesome effort defensively...except tomane...whats the go there it seems everyones attacking his side..is he a liability? i didnt see atkins do anything when he replaced him but its def a worry for us on that side defensively

Tamwelg
26-04-10, 08:12 PM
Presto or Friend have to be Dally M contenders this year. Presto, tries, try assists, kick chases, 4/4 as 3rd string kicker. I wish he was a Queenslander, we would have appreciated the greatness.

Agree with you on Friend, but that is the first time Campbell has stood up this year IMO.

Friend has to be the fittest player in the league, built for Origin, but let them take Ballin or Payne if they need a hooker, I don't want Friend missing for one game this year.

Agreed, he is irreplaceable and we don't want him to play origin, but he deserves it more than the other hookers you mentioned.

kwigibo
26-04-10, 08:13 PM
Agree with you on Friend, but that is the first time Campbell has stood up this year IMO.

I reckon he was the difference in the Warriors game. He doesn't always play great from pillar to post, but he brings the big plays, the match turners, the intangibles that win football games.

titansrawesome
yeheww just won $590 on tipping titans, that game gave me heaps of nerves and i thought CLINTON TOOPI had a terrific game and he needs to stay in this side plus tomane and mead's side needs to improve greatly since 3/4 tries were on that side and anthony quinn got a hat trick on that side 2 weeks ago, also i think if this is the titans for 2010 then we are back to our offensive and mostly defensive best.

Tamwelg
Tomane is the difference in this game he's not up to it, in the 1st half anyway so let's hope he learns how to tackle & catch the ball

I don't think it is matter matter of him learning how to tackle, I think it is more he needs to learn how to read in defense.

squirrell
26-04-10, 08:15 PM
I don't think it is matter matter of him learning how to tackle, I think it is more he needs to learn how to read in defense.

BINGO......

Tamwelg
26-04-10, 08:16 PM
I reckon he was the difference in the Warriors game. He doesn't always play great from pillar to post, but he brings the big plays, the match turners, the intangibles that win football games.

Ah, yep forgot about the round 1 clash, he did have a good game then as well.

teke
26-04-10, 08:21 PM
You little ripper. Won it in the forwards, with a bit Friendy magic. What did you think of that Teke :DI feel fine, the Sea Eagles lost it more than the Titans won it. Its good to see them kick the Brooky hoodoo.

Not one commentator knows how the Titans won it :laugh:

teke
26-04-10, 08:25 PM
felt safe as when they went gordon's side, but every time they went to mead omg, heart race'dYou are serious arent you?

You cannot possibly blame the tries on Mead when you have a bloke (Tomane) who was hooked from the field for bad defence. He was woeful again tonight is becoming a huge burden for the team, he constantly scooted up and in and the gaps he left you could drive trains through. The only thing that might save him is that the Titans won.

Mushi
26-04-10, 08:35 PM
Well tomane was taken off so obviously Carty is concerned with the defence of Tomane.
Great game to watch - as usual my heart was beating a mile a minute by the end of it but great to get a win away and actually see the boys play well. Still lots of missed tackles :( but I thought much better in defence this week and holding onto the ball and completing sets. Bring on the panthers next week!

Sydney Titans Fanatic
26-04-10, 08:39 PM
OMG MANLY FANS ARE A BUNCH OF WANKERS....Just arrived home from brookvale oval and omfg What a excellent nail bitting end to a game...After the match some manly fan was abusing us 12 titans fans and got warned by police and then finally arrested for refusing police orders haha....And having to listen to the bunch of manly fans next to us that kept shouting were off side(we must have been offside for 80 minutes by the way he was shouting out)...Syl,Glen and myself were the main southern legionaires and some follower(brother and friends),What an exciting match and i was so Glad we Got our first win of excistence in the nrl....
Also The southern legion had two V.I.P's on hand to help with the titans,We had Greg Bird's Mum and sister...Cant wait to head to newcastle for the next southern legion with the newcastle knights

teke
26-04-10, 08:54 PM
Toops played solid as a rock and hit like a mule in defence. Very good nrl return game for him.

Friend was just outstanding again

titansrawesome
26-04-10, 09:07 PM
Toops played solid as a rock and hit like a mule in defence. Very good nrl return game for him.

Friend was just outstanding again

i dont know about you but i think toopi needs to stay in that centre position.

teke
26-04-10, 09:14 PM
i dont know about you but i think toopi needs to stay in that centre position.Im with you, he is the clubs most experienced centre and knows when to run and when to give it on.

daveyk
26-04-10, 09:20 PM
WOW.... thanks TAB for the $5.70 for a 1-12 win;.... much apreciated...

a great gutsy win by the boys to silence the critcs once again....

Adelaide Titan
26-04-10, 09:41 PM
unfortunately i was unable to watch what sounds like was a great game :(
was out for dinner.

However i was keeping up to date with scores on my phone and saw Titans 22-12 down and thought bummer!

Checked my phone later on and asked myself "how much did we lose by"?

And in the car had a mini spaz attack when i saw the Titans had pulled off a great comeback!!! :D will be watching highlights sometime tonight.

Well done boys, great win against the odds.

GO TITANS!!!

titansrawesome
26-04-10, 09:44 PM
WOW.... thanks TAB for the $5.70 for a 1-12 win;.... much apreciated...

a great gutsy win by the boys to silence the critcs once again....

good one mate, i bet 150 on sportsbet with manly 1.28 and gold coast 3.60

bigjim
26-04-10, 09:48 PM
Had to tip Manly at Brooky but it was the best game. Tipped with my head but couldn't be happier about the win.
I do get a bit sick of listening to commentators saying the Manly team lost it rather than Titans won.

patskE
26-04-10, 11:09 PM
maybe switch toopi and tomane around? rather tomane with bird? dnt know? nfi why carty had atkins on the bench, seem like an waste, player like walker would of been better, or even another forward as u can fit taga into the backline

teke
26-04-10, 11:20 PM
maybe switch toopi and tomane around? rather tomane with bird? dnt know? nfi why carty had atkins on the bench, seem like an waste, player like walker would of been better, or even another forward as u can fit taga into the backlineI actually feel Tomane is worried about Presto inside him and thats why he scoots out which is fair enough.

One thing that Prince does well in his game is read defence, he is actually a very good reader of the opposition game. I think the Titans defence will improve heaps when Prince comes back. Presto will go back to fullback and Titans will stroll into the grand final where they will meet the mighty Sea Eagles :D :D

patskE
26-04-10, 11:45 PM
u rkn? i can see zillman 1. preso 6. tbh
bird is an gun, but aint really an ball player

DIEHARD
26-04-10, 11:56 PM
Well done mighty Titans! This is a MASSIVE scalp! Another another big hoodoo buried. Winning at Brooky. It's not easy, not easy at all. Let alone with Prince!

I was pissed off I missed the game but was lucky until to catch most of the 2nd half. I'm now watching the recording...

This sends a big warning to the rest of the NRL, we just won without Prince and in Sydney!

DIEHARD
27-04-10, 12:11 AM
Gold Coast Titans down Manly 24-22 in NRL match at Brookvale Oval

Manly's second-half woes returned on Monday night when Gold Coast Titans halfback Preston Campbell inspired his side to a come-from-behind 24-22 victory at Brookvale Oval.

The Sea Eagles, who squandered winning positions against Wests Tigers and Parramatta in the opening two rounds of the season, relinquished a 22-12 lead with late tries from Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi coming in the space of five minutes.

The home side dominated for large spells of the contest, but they were unable to kill off the gallant Titans, who ended Manly's run of four successive victories.

Titans coach John Cartwright admitted his side had some luck on their side to win the game, but felt Manly were there for the taking late in the match.

"It was a game of luck I suppose, and it took a bit of luck for a number of tries, but I never thought we were out of it, and I thought they looked a bit lethargic after beating Melbourne last week,'' he said.

Cartwright was also full of praise for Campbell, who kept his nerve to kick the crucial conversion to complete a perfect night with the boot in addition to the match-turning try.

"He was amazing, you could get a camera and follow him the whole game and show it to kids learning the game and say 'that's how you play footy,''' Cartwright said.

Two tries from Steve Matai and impressive displays from young halves Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson saw the hosts dominate much of the match after going 6-0 down in the second minute.

The game burst to life from the very first set with the Titans taking the lead through Kevin Gordon in remarkable circumstances.

From the kick-off, Anthony Watmough put Manly in tremendous field position with a superb 50-metre run.

But just when the Sea Eagles looked set to score, Glenn Stewart spilled the ball and Gordon sprinted away to score after being released by Greg Bird.

Manly hit back on seven minutes when halfback Hodkinson reacted quickest to touch the ball down after Foran's high kick was knocked back into his path by Watmough.

Hodkinson turned provider to set up the Sea Eagles' second try, as the Titans once again failed to deal with the high ball.

William Zillman folded under pressure from a sea of Manly bodies, and Steve Matai barged his way over.

The hosts ran in their third try on the 27th minute when fullback Ben Farrar raced through a huge gap on the left-hand side of the Titans' defence.

But vocal home crowd was silenced five minutes before the break when Foran's poor kick deep inside Gold Coast territory deflected into the hands of Campbell, who set up Gordon for his second try and a 16-12 deficit at the break.

The Titans started the second half stronger, but a well-worked try scored by Matai extended Manly's lead and looked to have knocked the stuffing out of the visitors.

However, a risky pass from Titans hooker Nathan Friend found Campbell, who danced through to score under the posts in the 70th minute to give his side hope at 22-18.

And with six minutes remaining, Laffranchi, who'd been put on report in the first-half for a high tackle on Matt Ballin, barged over in the far right corner with Campbell's pressure conversion sealing the win.

Manly coach Des Hasler said he had no problems with a late decision from referee Paul Holland to rule that Farrar lost the ball, when it looked as if it had been stripped from his grasp by Friend.

The decision set the platform for the match-winning try, but Hasler agreed the decision was the right one.

"It was lost, but they didn't get into the game until the 73rd minute and they won the game,'' Hasler said.

"It was a game we should never have let go, we had plenty of opportunity and plenty of possession."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

AmericanTitan
27-04-10, 03:27 AM
I've been away too long from here because of school commitments, but now I've just watched the game!!!

FRIEND TO PRESTO was a thing of beauty. Best pass of all time!!!!

What a comeback and I won 15 bucks off my Manly friend!!!

lonegull
27-04-10, 06:12 AM
what a great win, the defence was brilliant and i think it won us the game although tomane will need to improve, one thing i must say about the titans they are one fit team after all they made 150 tackels in the first half and still had fuel in the tank for the second half great win

shamus
27-04-10, 06:37 AM
I find it hard at times to rate Matt White. To me he looks just average when he goes forward and he doesn't appear to stand out at all. Well, he didn't stand out again last night but when I look at his time spent on the field (25 minutes) and tackles made (20) I may need to have a rethink...

P.S. Great win.....My neighbours have lodged another complaint..:banana:

Titan2007
27-04-10, 06:40 AM
A great team effort, well done! :)

TITAN PETE
27-04-10, 06:55 AM
I find it hard at times to rate Matt White. To me he looks just average when he goes forward and he doesn't appear to stand out at all. Well, he didn't stand out again last night but when I look at his time spent on the field (25 minutes) and tackles made (20) I may need to have a rethink...

The Truck Cannings should be back in the next 2 weeks & someone will have to make way for him :D

mikeyba
27-04-10, 08:00 AM
maybe switch toopi and tomane around? rather tomane with bird? dnt know? nfi why carty had atkins on the bench, seem like an waste, player like walker would of been better, or even another forward as u can fit taga into the backline

yeah... I agree with this.. Move Bird to Centre drop Tomane to the bench, keep Presto at 5/8 and Zillman at Fullback.. I'd bee happy with that.

Bird at centre.. with his defensive and ball running ability.. he doesnt have to create plays just off load to Mead.. He is definately a ball runner and a defensive machine. Think this combo would work really well....

titanstattman
28-04-10, 08:59 AM
Brilliant win & Friendys pass of the century , also a big thank you to the TAB for waving the $4.20 in front of me

yes i got on them for $4.25

You are serious arent you?

You cannot possibly blame the tries on Mead when you have a bloke (Tomane) who was hooked from the field for bad defence. He was woeful again tonight is becoming a huge burden for the team, he constantly scooted up and in and the gaps he left you could drive trains through. The only thing that might save him is that the Titans won.

i think if the titans can clean up on that side we will be a very hard team to get points agaist but we are very soft down that side

gotitans101
28-04-10, 12:00 PM
wrong thread.

Ryan
28-04-10, 04:01 PM

Yeh, my neighbours had to put up with a bit of noise too. I don't what was louder; my cheers or obscenities??? Bloody tough game to sit through....
Despite my best intentions, I didn't make it to the TAB :duh2:

Boofhead
28-04-10, 05:51 PM
Good to see plenty got on the Titans, I dropped $70 on the 1-12 at $5.50.

DIEHARD
29-04-10, 04:10 AM
A lasting image to remember...

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2010/04/27/607155.jpg