PDA

View Full Version : Round 5: Gold Coast Titans vs Melbourne Storm

DIEHARD
04-04-10, 01:40 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Melbourne Storm

Friday April 9 2010 - 7:30pm - Skilled Park

DIEHARD
04-04-10, 01:51 PM
Time to look ahead to this epic game this Friday!

Cronk, Slater, Inglis and Slater and let's not forget Finchy as well are coming our way. And we have a lot of work ahead of us.

We really missed Laffranchi, alot more than I realised. And Im sure Preston wont have two poor games in a row. But there was no stand outs and so many below par efforts. Everyone needs to lift across the board.

Also the home ground advantage will be a factor. So make sure you get to Skilled Park and remind them that "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" as Daveyk and Coaster often yell.

teke
04-04-10, 01:56 PM
The boys will play alot better this week im sure of it.

I will be heading to this game as there is nothing better than hurling abuse at the scum Storm.

titansrawesome
04-04-10, 04:28 PM
i have to get to this game defiantely if it doesn't get sold out, i dont know who can contain blair,inglis,slater and cronk though.

DIEHARD
04-04-10, 04:42 PM
I don't like Blair, he is a grubby player.

teke
04-04-10, 04:48 PM
I don't like Blair, he is a grubby player.Any bloke wearing the Storm jersey is a master grub.

I think the Legion can get under Slaters skin, actually Im daring you guys to :eyebrows:

DIEHARD
04-04-10, 04:59 PM
I think the Legion can get under Slaters skin, actually Im daring you guys to :eyebrows:

We accept the challenge. :) We'll be on him all night jeering him.

titansrawesome
04-04-10, 05:20 PM
if im there ill be giving anthony quinn hell because to me he is a little ****

DIEHARD
04-04-10, 05:38 PM
Hopefully we get heaps of penalties outta them.

titanstattman
04-04-10, 05:45 PM

Cronk, Slater, Inglis and Slater and let's not forget Finchy as well are coming our way. And we have a lot of work ahead of us.

Also the home ground advantage will be a factor. So make sure you get to Skilled Park and remind them that "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" as Daveyk and Coaster often yell.

And it will be the 1st time for those players aswell to play agaist us.

And thats my saying i think i might hav to copyright it...

titansrawesome
04-04-10, 06:08 PM
i hope we can get our attack like the wests tigers and our defense like the dragons/storm.

teke
04-04-10, 07:07 PM
We accept the challenge. :) We'll be on him all night jeering him.I will be on him aswell but i feel a bit shamed sometimes giving it to players when families with young children are about.

I might need to start thinking about become a legion member

Supergoose
04-04-10, 08:00 PM
Let's hope the boys can take something out of the loss to the cowboys and can aim up big against the leagues benchmark team. At least minichiellos hands will be better at home and I'm sure the axe will have our right sides defence sorted. It will be interesting to see if carty makes any changes as he has been loathe to do so in our short history. We have been poor in attack most of the season and that leads to additional pressure on our defence. If we can get that last pass, kick or catch to stick then we have a good chance. If we continue to give the opposition open invitations to our try lines then the nexttwo weeks will be torturous.

DIEHARD
04-04-10, 08:30 PM
I will be on him aswell but i feel a bit shamed sometimes giving it to players when families with young children are about.

Love to have you mate, you can join our brain's trust of match analysts. :laugh:

But nothing wrong with bagging a player. Just do it passionately and creatively and I find the best sledges are confusing and creative.

DIEHARD
05-04-10, 03:55 AM
No Prince is no excuse for loss

JOHN Cartwright said none of the blame for the Gold Coast Titans loss to the Cowboys on Saturday night could be put down to the loss of Scott Prince.

Despite bursting out of the blocks and scoring the first try of the match through Mark Minichiello, some Johnathan Thurston brilliance, a hat-trick to centre Willie Tonga and poor ball control brought about their downfall as the Cowboys hung in for a 32-18 victory.

With Preston Campbell shifting to halfback to cover the loss of their skipper, who is expected to remain on the sidelines for up to five weeks with a broken thumb, Cartwright said his makeshift playmaker was still among their best in Townsville.

But as they found out, making 16 errors and completing just 24 of 38 sets in possession makes it very tough to win football games.

"We just gave him nothing to work with," said Cartwright of Campbell. "We were constantly dropping the ball and playing catch up but I truly believe we did enough to win the game."

Despite suffering their first loss of the season, Cartwright was full of praise saying their commitment and effort could never be questioned.

With backrower Minichiello bagging a double and Sam Tagataese scoring for the Titans, they could easily have scored three more with some desperate Cowboys defence and poor decision-making proving their downfall.

Thurston produced a crucial ankle tap on Joseph Tomane in the eighth minute after he brushed aside several defenders and set off down the right flank while fullback William Zillman made a great bust in the 24th minute before chipping straight into the hands of Cowboys fullback Shannon Gallant.

"They (the Cowboys) had a heap of possession in the second half and we really defended like our life depended on it," said Cartwright.

"Willie Tonga and Thurston were standouts, but we just gave them too much ball down our end.

"With the small number of chances we had we still scored 18 points, and at a pinch could have scored another three tries at least.

"There was an ankle tap and Zilly would probably like to have his time again."

With Melbourne their next task, Cartwright said the Titans would be fired for a better performance.

"We will be back at home, we won't lack any motivation playing the leaders," he said.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
05-04-10, 04:14 AM
Tonga was tough, but Inglis is the world-class rival

LIFE could not be better for bustling Gold Coast Titans centre Joseph Tomane.

But if he thought it was tough in Townsville, it is about to get a lot harder when he marks up against former teammate Greg Inglis on Friday.

Dazzling the Titans supporters with his raw power and speed in the opening three rounds, the 20-year-old came back to earth when Willie Tonga ran in three tries in the Cowboys' 32-18 victory in Townsville.

"I got taught a lesson by a good teacher but I need to go away and keep my head down and make up for the errors that I made last night," said Tomane yesterday.

"If I thought Tonga had a good, strong fend on him I'm now lining up against one of the best fends in the competition.

"But it will be a good learning experience for me playing against one of the best centres in the game."

Promising to switch his mobile phone off this week to ensure there was no banter from his former teammates, Tomane said he had relished his move north.

Wellington-born, Tomane grew up in Logan, going to school at Marsden High before switching to Nudgee College for his senior years.

"It's been good the move back and I'm glad to be back near home," said Tomane, who played rugby alongside Gold Coaster James O'Connor at Nudgee and the Australian Schoolboys.

"I do miss Melbourne but the culture around the club is the same so it's been easy to get into things.

"I keep in touch with a lot of the guys, but I haven't lately because I keep changing my number, but I'm going to keep my phone off because they might have a bit on me after Saturday night.

"I just want to concentrate on my massive task on Friday."

That task is trying to contain Inglis, arguably the greatest player in the game today, known for his ability to swat away defenders.

And he knows he needs a big game, with his position far from secure, especially with former Kiwi Test player Clinton Toopi impressing in the Queensland Cup.

"It's been just as tough to crack into this squad, I think I've just been a bit lucky," he said.

"Clinton has been playing some good football in the Queensland Cup and I need to keep my form up.

"I had a shocker on Saturday night so hopefully I can pick it up."

Titans coach John Cartwright said despite Tomane's harsh assessment of his efforts against the Cowboys he had been impressed with the attitude and skill he brought to the club.

"We dropped a lot of ball up there and they made us pay but you can't put it all on him," said Cartwright. "The past few weeks he has been one of our best."

titanstattman
05-04-10, 09:22 AM
I will be on him aswell but i feel a bit shamed sometimes giving it to players when families with young children are about.

As a front rower for the legion i can promise slater will be copping it....

teke
05-04-10, 02:39 PM
As a front rower for the legion i can promise slater will be copping it....:D :salute:

eelectrica
05-04-10, 07:58 PM
Inglis has been quiet so far this season. Hope he remains quiet for one more week. Must be ready to explode soon though...

Titans might want to work over time on Tomanes Defensive skilles.

titansrawesome
05-04-10, 08:12 PM
trying to get decent tickets now, dont wanna sit in section 2

Supergoose
05-04-10, 10:37 PM
So Cartwright has hit the nail on the head - we dropped too much ball - not necessarily Tomane's fault Tonga got the ball while we were on the back foot and scrambling back into position (at least for 2 of Tonga's three tries).

But what is Cartwright going to do about it? Is he going to bench the key perpetrators? Does he bring Toopi into the centres, slide Rogers into five-eighth, Bird into Lock and bench Minichiello? Doubt it, but I'd like to see it.

DIEHARD
05-04-10, 11:12 PM
Gold Coast's Joseph Tomane is learning write from wrong

HUMBLED Gold Coast youngster Joseph Tomane has revealed how he plans to fill in his diary after being given a clinic by North Queensland star Willie Tonga on Saturday.

Tomane, the former Melbourne Storm junior who has been a standout during the Titans' opening three weeks, conceded he was licking his wounds before Friday night's clash against his former club.

The 20-year-old centre was taken apart by Tonga, who bagged a hat-trick of tries and defensively rattled his opposite number in the Gold Coast's 32-18 loss.

"I felt like I went back to school. He gave me a good lesson," Tomane said. "It's something I'll need to write in my little diary to work on during the week.

"I do like to have a few notes on how I went. It will be about how I defended him. My defence wasn't up to scratch, as it was in the first three weeks.

"Letting three tries in, that sort of stuff shouldn't happen. I'm a natural ball-runner. My attack is my strength but you don't win games with attack all the time. You've got to be a good defender. Your defence usually wins you games."

Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston, the catalyst for Tonga's latest stirring performance, spent last week chirping in Tonga's ear how Tomane was a challenger for Tonga's Queensland State-of-Origin spot.

"It's always good to have a challenge, I love it," Tonga said. "You've got your Inglises, Hodges, Folaus - a player like Tomane, they're talking about him being in Origin and stuff like that. In the last couple of weeks he's shown he's up there and he can manage that in a couple of years.

"I saw it as a great challenge and I'm glad we got the win.

"Without sounding ****y, I try to be confident in my ability to go against those boys.

"They're good players and youv'e got to expect anything. That's how I take it."

Tonga said the bone-rattlers that forced Tomane to spill possession in the seventh and 53rd minutes had given him as big a rush as his second NRL career hat-trick.

"Especially when you're under the pump, to come up with those big plays is always a thrill," he said.

Tomane has been a shining light for the Gold Coast during the opening month, but he will again have his hands full on Friday night against Storm superstar Greg Inglis.

"Consistency ... that pretty much separates the good players from the great players," Tomane said.

"If I want to become one of them, I've got to be consistent with my performances."

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

titansrawesome
06-04-10, 11:01 AM
got my tickets!
i'm sure tomane will have a better game this week, maybe i can inspire the titans to kick melbourne's ***

patskE
06-04-10, 06:27 PM
zillman
mead
tomane
rogers
gordon
bird
presto
bull
friend
big red
mini
boof
harrison
henderson
white
taga
brown
matthews

patskE
06-04-10, 06:28 PM
tbh, meyers is one of our better prop's, but anyone else rkn we get better use of him off the bench?
hopefully henderson steps up and gets his starting spot back cause i rather big red of the bench, i rkn he just makes more of an impact

titansrawesome
06-04-10, 06:44 PM
we should put O Dwyer in for Brown, O Dwyer has some skill and he is a tank, he also has an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time.

karnage
06-04-10, 08:15 PM
Yeah mate - he is like a tank with one wheel...:nope:

He won't be back from injury till around the middle of the year, at which time competition for those backrow / bench spots will intensify even further with Cannings available as well.

So no changes from the Cowboys except for the forced one with Laffranchi. Sounds like he had a similar complaint to Harro the week before...??

No surprises with the team named then, we just need a bit better application.

Absolutely no reason why we can't win this game. I loved Warren Ryan's quote after the Sharks-Eels game on Saturday:

'There is one thing for certain in every footy season - every team will win a game and every team will lose one'
Let's hope he is repeating that great line after Friday night!!

TITAN PETE
06-04-10, 08:22 PM
I saw Chalky train this arvo & he's looking pretty good at the moment but he'll probably have to play his comeback match with Seagulls or Burliegh in the up coming weeks

DIEHARD
07-04-10, 07:28 AM
Really looking forward to O'Dwyer returning to fitness. He'd be in my 17.

DIEHARD
07-04-10, 07:41 AM
Storm unchanged for Titans clash

The Melbourne Storm have named an unchanged squad for Friday night's trip to Skilled Park to face the Gold Coast Titans.

Fresh from maintaining their unbeaten start to their premiership defence with a 17-4 defeat of the Dragons at Etihad Stadium last Friday, the Storm will be looking for their fifth win from as many starts when they face the Titans.

Coach Craig Bellamy has named Ryan Hinchcliffe to start at lock with Todd Lowrie dropping back to the bench.

Gold Coast meanwhile has named an 18-man squad that includes Anthony Laffranchi, who is set to return from a lower-back injury, along with Ashley Harrison who will play his 200th first-grade game a decade after debuting with the Broncos.

"It's definitely a big milestone to reach,'' said Harrison.

"Along the way you don't think about it but when it comes it's something you can really look back on."

"I've really enjoyed the journey and I'm looking forward to continuing the journey a couple of years yet."

"Even after 200 games I'm still learning stuff about myself and you still encounter different things week-in and week-out."

Storm:
1. Billy Slater, 2. Luke MacDougall, 3. Dane Nielsen, 4. Greg Inglis, 5. Anthony Quinn, 6. Brett Finch, 7. Cooper Cronk, 8. Aiden Tolman, 9. Cam Smith (c), 10. Jeff Lima, 11. Adam Blair, 12. Kevin Proctor, 13. Ryan Hinchcliffe
Interchange: 14. Todd Lowrie, 15. Hep Cahill, 16. Ryan Tandy, 17. Bryan Norrie

Titans:
1. William Zillman, 2. Kevin Gordon, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Joseph Tomane, 5. David Mead, 6. Greg Bird, 7. Preston Campbell, 8. Luke Bailey (c), 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Brad Meyers, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Ashley Harrison
Interchange: 14. Matthew White, 15. Michael Henderson, 16. Sam Tagataese, 17. Riley Brown, 18. Will Matthews

Source: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au

DIEHARD
07-04-10, 07:42 AM
Titans plan stingy pickings for Storm

The Gold Coast Titans, so generous against the North Queensland Cowboys on the weekend, plan to play the stingy host when the Melbourne Storm drop in on Friday night.

The error-riddled Titans saw their most successful start to an NRL season grind to a halt in Townsville, as the Cowboys dined out on 16 Gold Coast errors to run up a 32-18 scoreline.

And with no disrespect to the North Queenslanders, the Titans know a repeat performance against the premiers could get even uglier on the scoreboard.

Last week it was Jonathan Thurston calling the shots on the other side of the ball. This week Cooper Cronk will marshal assaults on the Titans line.

On Saturday Willie Tonga crossed for a hat trick. On Friday Billy Slater could do the same, given half a chance.

Throw in internationals Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Ryan Hoffman, Brett White, Jeff Lima and Adam Blair and the Titans face the biggest test of the season to date.

"Of all the teams in the competition, that's why they're so successful - they take their opportunities and we need to give them minimal opportunities on the weekend or we're in for a hiding,'' said workhorse Titans hooker Nathan Friend.

Despite sitting undefeated atop the ladder, the Storm has scored a modest 67 points in the 2010 campaign. Eight teams have done better.

But for the Titans, the fear lies in the obvious potential the visitors have to run in points, with the Storm having recorded the second-best points differential in the league in 2009.

And with Cronk making his presence felt after missing the first two games with a groin injury and try-scoring machine Inglis being eerily quiet with just one try so far, Melbourne seems poised to ratchet up their points output.

Friend, who spent four years with the Storm until 2006, knows who the likely suspects will be Friday night.

But that doesn't mean he has a sure-fire way to stop them.

"Wherever Coops is you see Billy sniffing around and that's proven by his try on the weekend (against the St George-Illawarra Dragons),'' he said.

"It's hard to say what we have to do to nullify them. Obviously our defensive pattern has to be pretty tight on the weekend to not allow an opening.

"It's hard to say what to do against Cooper Cronk because he's their go-to man, so hopefully we can just put a little bit of pressure with line speed on him.''

With their high-calibre offence still finding its feet, the key to the Storm's early-season success has been defence. The southerners have allowed 38 points spread thinly across the first four games of the season.

It's the most miserly unit in the NRL, with the second-placed Dragons (43) the only other team to concede less than 60 points so far.

But Friend backed the Titans' potent ball-players, even in the absence of injured skipper Scott Prince, to rack up points, as long as they are given opportunities.

"I don't think we had too many attacking sets on (the Cowboys') line and the couple we did have I think we scored,'' he said.

"If we can complete 70-80% this week I think we'll go close.''

The Titans hope to have second-rower Anthony Laffranchi back in the mix Friday night.

The Kangaroos forward was ruled out of Saturday night's game with a back injury once the side arrived in Townsville.

"He's just stirred something up when we trained up there. Hopefully he'll be right this week,'' said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"(Forward Brad) Meyers had a bit of a calf strain but I think he should be OK as well.''

Cartwright said he wasn't panicking after the loss to the Cowboys and would stick to the game plan that had ``served us pretty well this year and last year''.

"Just dropped ball really, we didn't build any pressure (on Saturday),'' he said.

"They were there to be beaten and we gave it to them on a platter really.

"We scrambled pretty well in defence but we put ourselves under a lot of pressure.

"We're confident. We know there are a couple of areas from the game against the Cowboys that we need to fix. Just some individual errors, nothing major structurally.

"We just need to make sure we don't drop so much ball.

"They're very clinical, they play a pretty simple game, with good players right across the park, so if you invite them into the game (with dropped ball) you're asking for trouble.''

Source: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/

TITAN PETE
07-04-10, 09:59 AM

Throw in internationals Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Ryan Hoffman, Brett White, Jeff Lima and Adam Blair and the Titans face the biggest test of the season to date.

"Of all the teams in the competition, that's why they're so successful - they take their opportunities and we need to give them minimal opportunities on the weekend or we're in for a hiding,'' said workhorse Titans hooker Nathan Friend.

Friendy told me to stop reading the papers so i'll let him know he should maybe look at the team sheets every now & again :laugh:

DIEHARD
07-04-10, 10:32 AM
Friendy told me to stop reading the papers so i'll let him know he should maybe look at the team sheets every now & again :laugh:

LOL that is hillarious.

DIEHARD
07-04-10, 10:39 AM
Inglis told to lift his game, says skipper

MELBOURNE Storm superstar Greg Inglis has been told to lift his game for Friday's clash against Gold Coast, captain Cameron Smith said yesterday.

Inglis has had a relatively quiet start to the season after being troubled by chronic hip soreness and having to shed several kilograms after returning from his post-season break. However, he had been more involved in his past two games, especially during the 17-4 win over the Dragons last Friday.

Inglis' work ghosting behind Dane Nielsen contributed to the Storm's first try, while he threw the last pass for Anthony Quinn to score the second and his powerful run in the lead-up to the decisive third try helped create space for Billy Slater to slice through.

However, Smith, who has previously pointed to Inglis' off-the-ball work, yesterday said more was now required from the left-centre.

''He had a bit of a slow start to the year, everyone knows that,'' Smith said. ''I know the coach and the players have asked a lot more of him this week. It's a big game for him because he hasn't been happy with the way he's been playing so he needs to step up this week.''

Titans centre Mat Rogers, who will line up on the opposite side of the field against Nielsen, said a big performance was around the corner for Inglis and he hoped the Titans, who are fourth after a bad loss to North Queensland last weekend, would not be the unlucky team.

''You know he's going to at some stage, let's hope it's not this week,'' Rogers said. ''Class players rise and I've got no doubt he's going to rise to massive, massive feats. Let's just hope it's for Queensland playing against NSW and not for Melbourne against the Titans.''

The Storm yesterday named an unchanged squad, with the Titans recalling Anthony Laffranchi after a back injury.

Rogers said the Titans would be unlikely to repeat the tactic that led to a massive upset win over the Storm in round four last year. The Titans frustrated the Storm when, in an effort to take Slater out of the play, they kicked the ball dead rather than risk his kick returns.

''I don't think that will be a ploy. I think we're pretty confident in our defensive chase now to be able to combat a guy like Billy,'' said Rogers, although he added that was before the ''woeful'' performance against the Cowboys.

''It takes him out of the game a little bit and maybe frustrates him a little. You look at a guy like Billy, I think he's probably the best player in the world at the moment. You just look at every angle you can to combat a guy like that.

''Billy just keeps getting better every year. You wonder when players are going to stop getting better when they are as good as him. He's definitely just grown another leg again this year, so it's frightening how good he can be.''

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league

titansrawesome
07-04-10, 01:12 PM
Inglis told to lift his game, says skipper

MELBOURNE Storm superstar Greg Inglis has been told to lift his game for Friday's clash against Gold Coast, captain Cameron Smith said yesterday.

Inglis has had a relatively quiet start to the season after being troubled by chronic hip soreness and having to shed several kilograms after returning from his post-season break. However, he had been more involved in his past two games, especially during the 17-4 win over the Dragons last Friday.

Inglis' work ghosting behind Dane Nielsen contributed to the Storm's first try, while he threw the last pass for Anthony Quinn to score the second and his powerful run in the lead-up to the decisive third try helped create space for Billy Slater to slice through.

However, Smith, who has previously pointed to Inglis' off-the-ball work, yesterday said more was now required from the left-centre.

''He had a bit of a slow start to the year, everyone knows that,'' Smith said. ''I know the coach and the players have asked a lot more of him this week. It's a big game for him because he hasn't been happy with the way he's been playing so he needs to step up this week.''

Titans centre Mat Rogers, who will line up on the opposite side of the field against Nielsen, said a big performance was around the corner for Inglis and he hoped the Titans, who are fourth after a bad loss to North Queensland last weekend, would not be the unlucky team.

''You know he's going to at some stage, let's hope it's not this week,'' Rogers said. ''Class players rise and I've got no doubt he's going to rise to massive, massive feats. Let's just hope it's for Queensland playing against NSW and not for Melbourne against the Titans.''

The Storm yesterday named an unchanged squad, with the Titans recalling Anthony Laffranchi after a back injury.

Rogers said the Titans would be unlikely to repeat the tactic that led to a massive upset win over the Storm in round four last year. The Titans frustrated the Storm when, in an effort to take Slater out of the play, they kicked the ball dead rather than risk his kick returns.

''I don't think that will be a ploy. I think we're pretty confident in our defensive chase now to be able to combat a guy like Billy,'' said Rogers, although he added that was before the ''woeful'' performance against the Cowboys.

''It takes him out of the game a little bit and maybe frustrates him a little. You look at a guy like Billy, I think he's probably the best player in the world at the moment. You just look at every angle you can to combat a guy like that.

''Billy just keeps getting better every year. You wonder when players are going to stop getting better when they are as good as him. He's definitely just grown another leg again this year, so it's frightening how good he can be.''

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league

oh lord, i unfortunately think inglis is in for a big one.

TITAN PETE
07-04-10, 01:50 PM
oh lord, i unfortunately think inglis is in for a big one.

If so it will be up to Tomane to live up to his own hype & put Fatty on his **** :fight: , as Toopi is just waiting in the wings for his chance :fist:

titansrawesome
07-04-10, 02:18 PM
tomane is 108 and inglis is 115kg......... damn

teke
07-04-10, 02:39 PM
The best way for Tomane and Mead to comeback this week is to attack Inglis hard when on the offense. They have all the weapons needed to give Inglis and Quinn nightmares. Im backing the boys to gain the pts victory.

Ryan
07-04-10, 03:26 PM
Tomane is playing his old club for the first time, so he's got plenty of incentive to turn it up aswell.
Ingliss has a sore hip - thats where Tomane and the boys should be aiming every tackle.
And I reckon Rogers will be kicking dead when field position is at risk.

DIEHARD
07-04-10, 06:02 PM
Titans v Storm
Skilled Park - Friday 7.35pm

Wow. Sometimes it is all you can say about the Melbourne Storm, who for about half a decade now have been the epitome of rugby league excellence. But the Gold Coast Titans? home record yields its own ?wow factor?, presenting fans with a massive start to Round 5.

While the Melbourne side are reigning champions and new premiership favourites after a clinical 17-4 dismissal of St George Illawarra last weekend, the Titans have built a fortress at Skilled Park, losing just two of the past 15 games at the venue.

The Storm are the only undefeated team left in 2010, putting them clear at the head of the table, while the Titans come into the match with a 3-1 record having tasted defeat for the first time at the hands of the Cowboys in Townsville last Saturday night.

The loss dropped them to fourth on the ladder and raised a question about their ability to maintain a lofty status while Scott Prince remains out injured.

While Prince will not be back for this clash, Anthony Laffranchi will be, having been a late withdrawal against the Cowboys. His return pushes Sam Tagataese back to the bench, which now faces a one-man cull on game day.

In a major milestone, Titans lock Ashley Harrison is celebrating his 200th first grade match.

The Storm were brilliant against the Dragons, suffocating the life out of them before killing them off with some scintillating plays. If they retain this type of intensity throughout the year, a fifth straight grand final is on the cards.

It?s not often you dare tamper with perfection; Craig Bellamy hasn?t, naming an unchanged side to travel to the Gold Coast.

Watch out Titans: Melbourne have had plenty of success attacking the right side of the field so far in 2010, which is a concern for the home side considering Greg Inglis (out of form) and Ryan Hoffman (injured) are usually making all sorts of inroads on the left side of the field and probably will again at some stage this season.

The Storm have scored eight tries in 2010 on the right side of the field, compared to just three on the left, so while Joseph Tomane and the right-side defenders took a beating last week, this week it might well be the boys on the opposite side getting hammered.

Six of those eight right-side tries have come on the fringe of the ruck (if you saw Billy Slater?s scintillating screamer against the Dragons you can picture it, so the edge defenders especially must be awake.

Of course, this doesn?t give the Titans? right-side defenders a reprieve. Sooner or later Inglis will ignite the left-side Melbourne attack ? and after viewing what Willie Tonga did against the Titans last weekend, this could be the match.

Watch out Storm: If Preston Campbell has been doing his homework during the week he will have noticed the Melbourne boys have a problem cleaning up chip kicks. The will-of-the-wisp halfback will, at some stage in the match, look to ?dink? one over the top for himself or a chaser.

Currently the Storm have defused just 33 per cent of chip kicks, leaving them one of the poorest teams in the NRL in the category.

Where it will be won: Clinical efficiency is what will get it done here. While this lands the match seemingly into Melbourne?s lap, it is not as clear-cut as it sounds.

The Gold Coast are gaining more metres per match and if they can dominate in this way they will give themselves enough chances to crack the Storm?s brick wall defence. The Gold Coast averages 1356 metres per game compared to the Storm?s 1155 metres, so they have a base to set up a victory.

They will still need somebody to step up and create tries from the good field position ? something the Dragons struggled to do last week.

The match will also hinge on the success of the Titans? attempts at second-phase play. The Storm rarely off-load and have just 35 so far this season, as they play the tuck-it-up-the-jumper and wait-to-you-crack styles of footy. The Titans aren?t prolific off-loaders either, but they do have 54 so far this year. And when they get them cranking, their backs seem a little more dangerous. The home side needs to find the balance between popping a pass and reducing potential errors.

The history: Played 4: Titans 2, Storm 2. The Gold Coast surprised everyone by beating the Storm in Melbourne last year, evening up the overall tally between the clubs. The two sides have met just once at Skilled Park, with the Titans winning 18-0 in 2008 against Storm side racked by Origin call-ups. The two wins for the Titans were by an average 15 points? while the two wins by the Storm were by an average 42 points.

Conclusion: Just how much petrol did Melbourne use in the game against the Dragons? This could be decisive ? but even so, the lean is towards the Storm, particularly while Scott Prince is still missing for the Titans.

Skilled Park has plenty of bones in the graveyard. But big occasions and stadiums don?t phase the Storm, and they look likely to get the job done here.

Match officials: Referees ? Ben Cummins & Jared Maxwell; Sideline Officials ? Steve Carrall & Adam Devcich; Video Ref ? Steve Clark.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Delayed 9.30pm; Fox Sports ? Delayed 1am.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

titansrawesome
07-04-10, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=DIEHARD;265406]
Titans v Storm
Skilled Park - Friday 7.35pm

Watch out Storm: If Preston Campbell has been doing his homework during the week he will have noticed the Melbourne boys have a problem cleaning up chip kicks. The will-of-the-wisp halfback will, at some stage in the match, look to ?dink? one over the top for himself or a chaser.

we better pay attention to this stat and take advantage of it.

TITAN PETE
07-04-10, 08:11 PM

The Gold Coast Titans, so generous against the North Queensland Cowboys on the weekend, plan to play the stingy host when the Melbourne Storm drop in on Friday night.

The error-riddled Titans saw their most successful start to an NRL season grind to a halt in Townsville, as the Cowboys dined out on 16 Gold Coast errors to run up a 32-18 scoreline.

And with no disrespect to the North Queenslanders, the Titans know a repeat performance against the premiers could get even uglier on the scoreboard.

Last week it was Jonathan Thurston calling the shots on the other side of the ball. This week Cooper Cronk will marshal assaults on the Titans line.

On Saturday Willie Tonga crossed for a hat trick. On Friday Billy Slater could do the same, given half a chance.

Despite sitting undefeated atop the ladder, the Storm has scored a modest 67 points in the 2010 campaign. Eight teams have done better.

But for the Titans, the fear lies in the obvious potential the visitors have to run in points, with the Storm having recorded the second-best points differential in the league in 2009.

And with Cronk making his presence felt after missing the first two games with a groin injury and try-scoring machine Inglis being eerily quiet with just one try so far, Melbourne seems poised to ratchet up their points output.

Friend, who spent four years with the Storm until 2006, knows who the likely suspects will be Friday night.

But that doesn't mean he has a sure-fire way to stop them.

"Wherever Coops is you see Billy sniffing around and that's proven by his try on the weekend (against the St George-Illawarra Dragons),'' he said.

"It's hard to say what we have to do to nullify them. Obviously our defensive pattern has to be pretty tight on the weekend to not allow an opening.

"It's hard to say what to do against Cooper Cronk because he's their go-to man, so hopefully we can just put a little bit of pressure with line speed on him.''

With their high-calibre offence still finding its feet, the key to the Storm's early-season success has been defence. The southerners have allowed 38 points spread thinly across the first four games of the season.

It's the most miserly unit in the NRL, with the second-placed Dragons (43) the only other team to concede less than 60 points so far.

But Friend backed the Titans' potent ball-players, even in the absence of injured skipper Scott Prince, to rack up points, as long as they are given opportunities.

"I don't think we had too many attacking sets on (the Cowboys') line and the couple we did have I think we scored,'' he said.

"If we can complete 70-80% this week I think we'll go close.''

The Titans hope to have second-rower Anthony Laffranchi back in the mix Friday night.

The Kangaroos forward was ruled out of Saturday night's game with a back injury once the side arrived in Townsville.

"He's just stirred something up when we trained up there. Hopefully he'll be right this week,'' said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"(Forward Brad) Meyers had a bit of a calf strain but I think he should be OK as well.''

Cartwright said he wasn't panicking after the loss to the Cowboys and would stick to the game plan that had ``served us pretty well this year and last year''.

"Just dropped ball really, we didn't build any pressure (on Saturday),'' he said.

"They were there to be beaten and we gave it to them on a platter really.

"We scrambled pretty well in defence but we put ourselves under a lot of pressure.

"We're confident. We know there are a couple of areas from the game against the Cowboys that we need to fix. Just some individual errors, nothing major structurally.

"We just need to make sure we don't drop so much ball.

"They're very clinical, they play a pretty simple game, with good players right across the park, so if you invite them into the game (with dropped ball) you're asking for trouble.''

I spoke to Nath today & he didn't have any interviews about this game :nope: , media bullshyte.....never :boo:

daveyk
07-04-10, 08:25 PM
FYI guys

Round 5 Storm Friday 9 April 2010

Box Offices Open: 4.45 pm
Gates Open: 5.15 pm
Under 20's Kick Off: 5.20 pm
Kick Off: 7.30pm

Blunt_Beno
07-04-10, 10:40 PM
id like to see some more size on the wings, perhaps bring in tonga outside of tomane until his deffense improves? id like to see toopi get a run also, but from what ive seen of him in the qld cup so far, he has a lot of dirty play in him he needs to get rid of first.

all in all, im pretty excited about this game, think the titans are gunna shock a few ppl haha

patskE
07-04-10, 11:44 PM
tbh we need someone like gordon or mead to be around the ruck i rkn
just need some speed there to back up the lads

DIEHARD
08-04-10, 10:04 AM
Titan Tomane faces fierce welcome `home'

THE fuse has been lit for an explosive clash between Melbourne and the Gold Coast after claims by the Storm that former favourite son Joseph Tomane was a selfish player, who put himself ahead of the team.

Gold Coast centre Tomane will face his old side tomorrow night for the first time since walking away from the powerhouse NRL club last season.

The match is already shaping as an early season litmus test for the Titans but Storm assistant coach Brad Arthur has ensured added fireworks for the Skilled Park showdown.

Arthur this week claimed part of the reason Tomane was overlooked for the Storm's ultimately successful 2009 finals campaign in favour of Dane Nielsen was because he was not a team player.

Tomane scored 10 tries in 15 games for the Storm last year, but was not sighted in first grade after Round 24 as Nielsen went on to finish the season on the left wing.

"Joe Tomane had plenty of X-factor about him, but Dane probably is more of a team player," Arthur told the Melbourne press.

"He does what's best for the team and not what's best for Dane.

"He wants to work hard and do all the little things right and keep it nice and simple and just do his job, whereas Joe Tomane is a very good footballer but he is probably a bit more about himself than the team on occasions."

Already lining up opposite superstar Storm centre Greg Inglis and needing to make up for a below par performance last week against the Cowboys, the stinging criticism is likely to give Tomane even more motivation.

The Titans were reluctant to return fire yesterday, but privately believe the comments to be a simple case of sour grapes.

The Coast pinched Tomane from under Craig Bellamy's nose last year, triggering an angry reaction from the Storm, who were desperate to retain the talented 20-year-old.

Tomane captured the attention of the NRL with a stunning three-try 24-point haul against the Brisbane Broncos in Round 13.

Five days later he turned his back on the Storm to sign a two-year deal with the Gold Coast.

At the time Bellamy said the incident left him 'angered as never before in my time as a coach'.

Storm assistant coach Steve Kearney yesterday insisted there was no lingering bad blood.

"Joseph made it clear that he wanted to go home to be closer to family, which is understandable," he said.

"We were disappointed to lose a young guy with the talent that he has. But at the end of the day it was a great opportunity for him and he went with our blessing."

DIEHARD
08-04-10, 10:06 AM
Laffranchi cleared to face Storm

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/04/07/laffranchi-mainimage.jpg
Anthony Laffranchi, frustrated on the sidelines

TITANS backrower Anthony Laffranchi has declared himself a certain starter against defending premiers Melbourne at Skilled Park tomorrow night.

In a boost for the home side, Laffranchi yesterday confirmed he would line-up in his No.11 jumper after missing last week's disappointing loss against the Cowboys with a back injury.

Laffranchi, who is determined to win back his NSW Origin and Test jumpers this season, will have a final training run with the rest of the side at Robina this morning.

"It was a bit of sciatic nerve pain in my back which caused my hamstring to kind of tighten up last week," said Laffranchi.

"It is just one of those ones that can flare up.

"It was frustrating more than anything because after 48 hours it settled right down. It is all sweet to go for Friday night."

Laffranchi said it was hard watching the error-riddled loss to North Queensland from the stands and that the club was determined to get the basics right against the Melbourne Storm.

The Titans emerged victorious the only other time the two sides have met on the Gold Coast, beating a Storm side minus all of its Origin stars 18-0 at Robina in 2008.

The Gold Coast were yesterday installed as $2.50 outsiders to beat the Storm ($1.50).

"It was very disappointing and frustrating (last week),' said Laffranchi. "We have been turning too much ball over, at crucial times we are dropping the ball or giving away a silly penalty.

"Teams are capitalising on it and can hurt us like the Cowboys did.

"Our ball control hasn't been what we wanted it to be, so we want to start this weekend.

"Especially against Melbourne, you don't want to give them too much ball."

Blunt_Beno
08-04-10, 11:09 AM
awesome news about laffranchi, deffinately missed him last week.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
08-04-10, 07:17 PM
AAP
Bellamy wary of Prince-less Titans
http://au.sports.yahoo.com

Unbeaten NRL leaders Melbourne are on Scott Prince alert even though the scheming Gold Coast halfback won't take the field against them at Skilled Park on Friday night.

The Storm know too well how a side can lift without their No.7, having recently captured the world club championship against the Leeds Rhinos with captain Cameron Smith as acting halfback for Cooper Cronk.

They also haven't forgotten losing 18-6 to the Titans last year at their Olympic Park fortress, when Prince was out injured.

"You're halfback is very important to any team," said Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

"We went through that stage with the world club challenge and of our first two (NRL) games when we didn't have our halfback."

Veteran Preston Campbell makes his second successive appearance in the role after filling in for the injured Prince against North Queensland in Townsville.

His time alongside new five-eighth Greg Bird should help the pair this weekend against the experienced Cronk and Brett Finch.

"With that run under their belt their combination and understanding of the players around them will be a lot better," said Bellamy.

"I remember almost the same round this time last year we played the Titans at home and Scott was out ... they actually gave us a bit of a touch up.

"Maybe some of our players may have had the same idea in their heads because they were reading too much of what you guys (the media) write and it was a real good lesson for us."

The Titans, who face several more weeks without Prince (broken thumb), have a proud Skilled Park record and few teams leave the Robina ground with a win.

The last time they visited the Gold Coast they were sent packing 18-0 but they didn't have their Origin stars on deck.

Melbourne showed against the previously-unbeaten Dragons they are a team that can stick rigidly to a game plan.

Their forwards pound away at their opposition, eventually allowing Smith and Cronk just enough space to bring their strike players Greg Inglis and Billy Slater into the game.

Like the Titans, Melbourne were winning without playing their best footy until their impressive effort against the Dragons.

Bellamy has been impressed by the form of Titans forwards Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Minichiello and hooker Nathan Friend.

"I've got a big rap on Nathan Friend, he's a tremendous dummy half who'll give his forwards some options and they'll give him some options around the play the ball," he said.

"They've also got our young bloke (Joseph) Tomane (who played for the Storm last year) whose playing out of his skin in the centres."

Bellamy is a huge fan of Campbell, a player he enjoys watching, at least when he's not coaching against him.

"Preston's a wonderful player. He's always amazed me," Bellamy said.

"The size of the guy when he goes to the defensive line, he actually accelerates and tries to duck under the defence.

"There's no self preservation with him.

"He's got a lot of pace and strength and courage for such a small man.

"I saw him accelerate into (112kg prop) Dane Tilse and he just bounced up, adjusted his head gear and got straight back into it again.
"He's a marvel, I've always enjoyed watching him play."

Sydney Titans Fanatic
08-04-10, 07:29 PM
smh.com.au

Ronnie13
08-04-10, 08:44 PM
Interesting comments from the Storm camp re Tomane it is just me or are there some sour grapes going about

We really missed Laffranchi, alot more than I realised. And Im sure Preston wont have two poor games in a row. But there was no stand outs and so many below par efforts. Everyone needs to lift across the board.

Ryan
08-04-10, 08:51 PM

Bellamy has been impressed by the form of Titans forwards Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Minichiello and hooker Nathan Friend.

Poor old Mini, trying so hard for an origin berth and the coach he's trying to impress can't even remember his name :laugh:

DIEHARD
09-04-10, 06:09 AM
No Prince, but we can still compete, insists Rogers

SCOTT PRINCE, conventional wisdom suggests, is everything to the Gold Coast Titans. But as they enter tonight's game against premiers Melbourne at Skilled Park without their halfback and co-captain once again, his former halves partner Mat Rogers has issued a reminder: there is life without him.

The overall statistics are not entirely convincing - the Titans, since their foundation year in 2007, have won four of 13 matches when Prince has been sidelined. But six of those defeats were at the end of the 2008 season when Prince, out with a broken arm, witnessed the club suffer through a bad dose of semi-finals white line fever and miss the top eight.

More recently, a Prince-less Titans side has achieved victories over the Storm - in Melbourne, no less, last year - and against Canterbury. They lost to North Queensland last Saturday night as Preston Campbell filled in for an injured Prince (broken thumb) but Rogers says it had little to do with who wore the No.7 jersey.

''Last week had nothing to do with Princey not being there and everything to do with us not handling the ball properly,'' said Rogers, who has played centre since the arrival of Greg Bird at Robina.

''When you take your main playmaker out of play there is obvious disruptions. But we know we can live without him.

''We've won a couple of really good games without him - against the Roosters a couple of years ago we came from behind, and against Melbourne and the Bulldogs last year. It would be nice to have him of course but I think having him away can sort of help us - we can sort of understand that we can do things without him.''

At 34, Rogers would be entitled to be winding down his career but, off contract at the end of the season, he is not done yet. He will decide his future by July but has not ruled out a career swansong in Sydney.

''My wife [Chloe Maxwell] is a Sydney girl and she misses her friends and family so she would jump at the chance to get back there I'm sure,'' he said. ''I know if I'm playing well someone's going to want me to play for them. If I don't it's not going to matter.''

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

DIEHARD
09-04-10, 06:09 AM
Schoolboy errors plaque Titans

THEY may be sitting near the top of the NRL ladder but key statistics show the Gold Coast Titans have been making a mountain of worrying mistakes over the first four rounds.

The Titans are currently ranked among the worst sides in the competition for errors and missed tackles, keeping company with the likes of the bottom feeding Broncos, Raiders, Sharks and Eels.

Gold Coast pack leader Luke Bailey said the playing group was aware of the problem and vowed to stop the rot against defending premiers Melbourne tonight at Skilled Park.

"We came back to the drawing board and realised what we did wrong," said Bailey.

"Now it is time to fix it up and what better way than against the form team in the competition.

"Our main goal at training this week has been to hang on to the ball and to get through our completions.

"When you drop ball, then you tackle too much and then you tend to miss them when you are tired.

"It is only early on in the season and hopefully we have rectified those problems."

The Coast have made a collective 154 missed tackles and 56 errors since the season started, to be ranked third and fourth worst respectively in the NRL

By contrast premiership heavyweights the Storm and Dragons are the best and second best when it comes to tackling, with Melbourne missing just 94 and St George Illawarra 97, more than a third less than the Gold Coast.

Melbourne have made 51 errors while the Dragons, with just 32, are currently the most clinical side in the competition.

"We are not in the best of form, but I don't think it is the time of year to be in the best of form," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"They (Melbourne) scratched away for the first three rounds before playing the Dragons brought the best out in them.

"We are confident that playing Melbourne is going to bring the best out in us.

"There has been a fair bit of hype this week and everyone knows that when you are playing the premiers you automatically lift.

"It is probably a bit more important to focus on doing the little things right this week and not getting carried away with the occasion."

Titans forwards Anthony Laffranchi (back) and Brad Meyers (hamstring) cruised through yesterday's final training run and were cleared to play, while winger Kevin Gordon (thigh) is also expected to be right.

The Titans head into the match as underdogs, despite losing just one game at their Robina fortress last season.

Bailey said the Titans victory in Melbourne last year without halfback Scott Prince proved the Storm were not invincible.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

jimbeam06
09-04-10, 09:26 PM
What a win :thumbsup:

titansrawesome
09-04-10, 10:19 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaa, i was laughing @ all the storm supporters tonight after they lost, i really wish anthony quinn didn't get a hat-trick though cos he is a grubby player. Shut down slater, cronk and inglis very well tonight, we probably should have had more tries but heaps of penalties and drop ball.

karnage
09-04-10, 10:47 PM
WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!:drinkies: :drinkies:

What a team performance!!

Congrats to Ash Harrison what a memorable 200th that will be. Great to see him get a try to savour on a big night. Just hope the leg comes up OK we need you next Friday big man!!

If Laffranchi keeps playing like he did tonight we will be losing him for 3 rounds around May-June-July!!

Credit to Rogers. I have been critical of him this year and while he still isn't getting ANY quality ball in attack he tackled his heart out tonight.

Zillman had his best game as a Titan. So much safer at the back than Presto. He was as solid as an absolute rock under the high ball and on the ground tonight.

That would be in the top 5 wins in our history and the crowd really let rip in the last 15 minutes with probably the best atmosphere we have ever generated outside of a Broncos match. The 20,000 sounded a lot louder than that...

WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!:drinkies: :drinkies:

matti
09-04-10, 11:30 PM
man storm are grubby players,

titansrawesome
09-04-10, 11:32 PM
maybe we shouldn't let prince play when we vs the storm lol , the 3 wins we had over storm he wasn't playing!

Blunt_Beno
09-04-10, 11:33 PM
rogers is a machine, reminded me of adam sandler on the waterboy hahaha

titansrawesome
09-04-10, 11:42 PM
rogers is a machine, reminded me of adam sandler on the waterboy hahaha

he had a really good defensive night and he made some metres from dummy half.

bigjim
10-04-10, 02:33 AM
Great game. Well done Titans but they could have won by more if they could just hang onto the ball. Great defence though.

Only one down side, I tipped the Titans to loose. I feel great though.:banana:

quinn loves titans
10-04-10, 07:45 AM
i tipped 50 with my friend on them to win i was getting almost sick the final 5 minutes what a nerve racking game

TITAN PETE
10-04-10, 09:07 AM
Great win & probably the clubs finest to keep the Storm scoreless for the final 51 minutes .... what ever Carty said at halftime was brilliant as we always looked like we were going to win even when we were behind by 12 :salute:

Highlights from the match for me were

Rogers 2nd half defense Brilliant

Taga's 1st tackle of the match..how did that feel Cronk..Brutal

Harrison outstanding with his whole game , scores a try & plays on injured..

Laffranchi...if there's a better back rower in the comp at the moment i haven't seen him

Tomane got the points over FatBoy Ingliss

Nathan Friend outstanding match in defense & Attack...well deserved Man of the Match :clap:

The game was won with only 16 players as Riley Brown never left the bench :surprise:

hully gully
10-04-10, 09:23 AM
Rogers.... what went on ? whatever fired him up I hope it happens next week aswell.
Great to see smith penalised for slow play, credit to the ref for that all in all fantastic win...

titansrawesome
10-04-10, 10:48 AM
why do we have riley bown in the side, he never plays

Boofhead
10-04-10, 10:54 AM
Massive props to Boof Laffranchi, best game he has had in a while. Keep it up mate.

P.S. Who is Greg Inglis?

titansrawesome
10-04-10, 11:06 AM
inglis should really be destroying defenses after his awesome year last year and him weiging 115kg

kwigibo
10-04-10, 11:35 AM
P.S. Who is Greg Inglis?

Some fat guy. Better shape up before origin or NSW can have him back.

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 12:04 PM
I think most people are still recovering from that epic victory. Possibly our best ever. Against the Premiers, World Champs and only previously undefeated team in the NRL.

This was a win for the believers! And didn't they turn out in force last night, was delighted to see 20,000 attend and that is with not too many Storm fans. We might get a full house next week, with the amount of Dragons fans in SEQLD and the ones that will travel. Get your tickets fast!

It certainly was a team effort. Rogers was awesome and he looked like a 25 year old out there.

Laffranchi was a revelation, he was playing with such enthusiasm, belief and agression. It was a sight to see him in open space, reminds me of 2008. He has KANGAROO written all over him.

Meyers and Bailey were also impressive. Zillman was safe as houses, at least ones in the Australian market. Well done Zillman.

Tomane, while he had errors, really stood up to the challenge. He answered his critics and he'll just get better.

Inglis was near non-existence, but as long as he appears for the Kangaroos and Maroons, I'll be happy.

We didn't see too much of the deadly foursome of Cronk, Smith, Slater and Inglis. We shut them down thanks to our fantastic defence which also seemed to have alot of venom and patience. Some of the hits out there were amazing. Great to see that going into our game.

The crowd was so vocal and it was ear piercing in the last 15mins as they urged the Gold Coast home. I really think they helped fuel the boys. And I was confident when they ran out for the 2nd half and saw them running towards the North towards The Legion.

Skilled Park aka The Fortress is becoming a true stronghold which must scare the crap out of teams travelling. It's a dream come true to have a venue that intimidates.

Congratulations ASH on your 200th game and 50th try!

And how about Carty!? Going berserk just like the rest of the 20,000 fans. He must love his job. They say coaching is a tough gig, but with a club, players and fans like the Titans behind him, it must go a long way to making it a sweet mix for him.

I encourage EVERYONE to get out to Skilled Park to support the Titans next week against the Dragons, the club needs you.

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 12:11 PM
Tomane answers bellyaching

LAST week Joseph Tomane's critics came out swinging when he was outclassed by a rampaging Willie Tonga in Townsville.

But they should at least be kept quiet for another week after the boom 20-year-old produced an inspiring effort against the game's most damaging ball runner Greg Inglis at Skilled Park last night.

Less than seven days after he was taught a lesson by Tonga, Tomane was instrumental in helping the Titans come from behind to upstage the premiers at Skilled Park.

After being 'shown up and made look silly' as he described it against the Cowboys, the blows kept coming for Tomane during the week when Storm assistant coach Brad Arthur described the young star as a 'selfish player'.

Arthurs' comments drew criticism from Tomane's new teammates, with Mat Rogers saying it was more a case of 'sour grapes' that they had lost such an exciting talent.

But if the stinging assessment was meant to unsettle the centre, it didn't with Tomane producing another solid showing.

The 101kg centre had a heavy involvement early in the contest cleaning up a sloppy pass from Storm skipper Cam Smith before helping defuse a neat crossfield kick, knocked forward by opposite Greg Inglis.

And he opened the scoring for the Titans sprinting 30m down the touch line, running over Storm fullback Billy Slater and holding possession despite a desperate attempt to knock it from his clutches by Inglis to touch down out wide.

Tomane was busy all night against his former club, making several strong charges

But importantly his biggest influence was in keeping Inglis quiet with neither men given many opportunities, with the forwards dominating the contest.

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 12:12 PM
Titans weather Storm and blow them away

THE Gold Coast Titans produced one of the gutsiest fight backs in their history to reel in undefeated NRL competition leaders Melbourne and cement themselves as a genuine premiership threat with an emphatic 20-16 victory at Skilled Park last night.

Without injured skipper Scott Prince for the second week straight, the Titans proved they were a force even without their star playmaker by coming from 16-4 down at half-time to topple the defending premiers.

Guided by the trusty boot of veteran dual international Mat Rogers and stand out performances by Greg Bird, Anthony Laffranchi and Preston Campbell, the Coast thrilled the vocal 20,083 Robina crowd and ensured a few more grey hairs for coach John Cartwright.

While Melbourne started strongly, justifying their favouritism with the bookies, the Titans were their own worst enemies in the opening stanza.

Coming into the match with a mantra to stop leaking tackles and making simple errors, the Gold Coast seemed to do the opposite at times.

The Titans made 18 missed tackles in the first 40 minutes, more than double that of the Storm, while making eight errors on their way to completing just seven of their 14 sets.

A barnstorming try from boom centre Joseph Tomane in his first game against his former club was the only highlight for the Gold Coast as Storm winger Anthony Quinn ran riot with three tries in the first 30 minutes to give the visitors a commanding 16-4 lead at the break.

There was no question the Titans competed fiercely but without Prince's kicking game seemed unable to build any sort of pressure against a Storm side still with the taste of Dragons blood in their mouths. But following a rev up in the sheds from Cartwright, the Titans came out firing in the second half.

Determined not to let the match slip from their grasp, the Coast threw everything at Storm.

The turning point of the match came when stand-in halfback Campbell reached into his bag of tricks and pulled out a towering bomb in the 45th minute.

The kick was reeled in by pivot Greg Bird 15m out from the Melbourne line, who then found hooker Nathan Friend in support on the inside to send lock Ashley Harrison over next to the uprights to score his 50th career try in his 200th NRL game.

When Bird did it all himself, barging over with 15 minutes remaining, the Titans levelled 16-16 thanks to the trusty boot of veteran centre Mat Rogers.

Rogers stepped up and slotted a penalty goal from right in front to hit the lead for the first time with seven minutes left on the clock, before slotting another right at the death to seal victory.

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 12:13 PM
Titans show true grit to down Storm

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans displayed some old fashioned grit to score an upset 20-16 victory over premiers Melbourne Storm at Skilled Park tonight.

In an exciting match, 20,083 fans turned out to watch the Titans fight back from 16-4 down at half-time to tie things up at 16-all with 14 minutes remaining.

A penalty goal to the Titans in front of the posts with eight minutes remaining broke the 16-all deadlock and gave the Titans their first lead of the night.

Another penalty goal to the Titans in the 79th minute wrapped the game up, and handed the Titans their fourth win of the year.

Titans coach John Cartwright said he was pleased with his side’s composure to come from behind and win the game.

“To be behind by two tries against them you worry, but I wasn’t too worried about the way we were playing, a couple of balls weren’t sticking again, but it was just a couple of basic errors for their tries, some guys made some poor decisions in defence,” Cartwright said.

“I thought where you win games, we were doing well against them around the middle of the field, I thought we were holding our own considering the amount of possession they had.

“Our boys got a sniff at the ruck and I thought the amount of defence we had to do, I think it was 50 odd more tackles than them in the first half, I thought we finished the half better, and then our boys took it out in the second half.

“I don’t think there’s any such thing as a defining win, but tonight it was a fantastic feeling.

“To beat Melbourne it’s an enormous achievement, they’re machine like, their first half they put against us was precision.”

Stand-in captain Luke Bailey said he was pleased with the side’s defensive effort.

“It was probably one of the best (defensive performances) I’ve been playing in, coming from last week’s pretty poor effort,” Bailey said.

“I think even though the amount of tackles we did in the first half, there was still a good feel out there, our defence was starting to hurt the blokes and they were getting tired so that was inspirational for us to see and we just kicked on from there.”

It was the visitors who looked to have scored in the opening minutes of the game but a leaping Preston Campbell snatched the ball out of Billy Slater’s reach, and winger Kevin Gordon pulled off some desperate defence to stop opposite number Luke MacDougall just short of the line.

There was no stopping the Storm in the 13th minute after a set off good passes between Brett Finch and Greg Inglis created space for winger Anthony Quinn to cross, and with Cameron Smith converting the visitors were handed an early 6-0 lead.

The Titans hit back in the 19th minute through centre Joseph Tomane, who playing against his former club did well to hang onto the ball and get the video referees approval after Inglis attempted to rake the ball out of his hands over the try line.

Mat Rogers’ conversion bounced away off the upright leaving the score at 6-4.

Video Referee Steve Clarke was called on in the 22nd minute for the third time and awarded the visitors a benefit of the doubt try after Quinn won the scramble for a loose Cooper Cronk bomb and scored his second try of the night; Smith converted from in front of the posts to extend the visitors lead to 12-4.

Quinn then scored his hat-trick in the 29th minute after a cut-out ball from Finch created space in the corner, Smith’s kick bounced away off the upright leaving the Storm 16-4 up.

On the back of repeat drop-outs the Titans did well to withhold the Storm’s fury in the dying moments of the half to remain 16-4 down at half-time.

The Titans looked to be the first to score after the half-time break when Campbell put Sam Tagataese through a gaping hole but the big utility was pulled up inches short of the line by Slater.

The Titans made no mistakes in the 46th minute after Greg Bird pounced on a Campbell bomb and flicked a ball back inside for Nathan Friend to catch and put Ashley Harrison over to clock up his milestone 50th career try in his 200th game.

Rogers converted the goal to reel the score back to 16-10.

On the back of a penalty for time-wasting in the 64th minute the Titans were gifted easy possession, and pivot Bird took full advantage, barging his way through the Storm to score his first try in Titans colours.

Cool and collected under pressure Rogers converted to tie the game up at 16-all.

A penalty in front of the posts with eight minutes remaining handed Rogers the opportunity to split the deadlock, and he converted successfully to give the Titans their first lead of the match at 18-16.

A final ditched effort in the 79th minute by the Storm to get possession through a 20 metre restart drop-kick to find touch failed after Smith kicked it out on the full, which handed the Titans another penalty goal in front of the posts, which Rogers converted to give the Titans the 20-16 win.

The Titans will look to keep their winning streak at Skilled Park in tact when they take on the St George Illawarra Dragons next Friday night.

Gold Coast Titans 20 (J Tomane, A Harrison, G Bird; M Rogers 2 conversions, M Rogers 2 penalty goals) defeated Melbourne Storm 16(A Quinn 3; C Smith 2 conversions)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 12:17 PM
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2010/04/09/596035.jpg

ROUND 5 - CLICK HERE TO VIEW PICTURES FROM ROUND 5: TITANS VS DYOTM 2010 ON THE GOLD COAST BULLETIN PHOTO GALLERY (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=14755&offset=0)

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 12:41 PM
LOL................

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2010/04/09/596045.jpg

gcboyz
10-04-10, 12:42 PM
This victory is more important than it seems. The message to all other teams is that Skilled park is truly a fortress. We can beat the Storm, we can beat every team. The bookies might have us as favourites against St George now.

Coaster
10-04-10, 01:05 PM
What a win!!!!!

Hahahah I was in the middle of Melbourne last night wearing all Titans gear and completely outnumbered at the pub 150 to 1. They started chanting "storm, storm" at halftime, the whole pub even the bartenders had a shot at me. I held firm, drank alot!! and by fulltime i stood right in front of the big screen, just giving it to them.

To there credit almost all, shook my hand on there way out, but by that stage i was full of drink and not holding back. hahah

Great stuff and i wish i was there, Brooke took my younger sister there in my place, and she loved it.

How i didnt get stabbed last night is a miracle.

DIEHARD
10-04-10, 01:34 PM
Hahaha Coaster! Behind enemy lines! Sounds like you had a great night as well. I can picture it vividly.

We made sure Zillman talked to em. Glad you survived!

AmericanTitan
11-04-10, 12:26 AM
YESSSS! I stayed up till 3 am waiting for the video to download to my computer and I have FINALLY seen this epicness!

What a game! The boys showed true grit in coming back from 12 down to win it.

Zillman, what can you say? Solid as a rock back there.
Friend was his usual great self.
Matty Rogers, AMAZING!

Oh, and GREAT JOB TITANS FANS/LEGION! You guys packed the place and it was very impressive to watch. The crowd got loud and I think affected the game. The Storm were dying due to lack of energy and the Titans just kept pressing!

What a feeling!

titansrawesome
11-04-10, 12:59 AM
LOL................

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2010/04/09/596045.jpg

tehehehehe

DIEHARD
11-04-10, 12:17 PM
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/04/10/1225852/206664-titans-v-storm.jpg

Video Ref behind nit-picking penalty

ONE second. That's all it took for controversial video referee Steve Clark to return to the spotlight as the first official in 137 games to order a penalty for "time wasting".

Clark has been fingered as the man responsible for a penalty against Melbourne's Cameron Smith for taking too long to take a line drop-out against Gold Coast. It was the first time the call has been made since Penrith's Jarrod Sammut was penalised against Canberra in Round 8 last year.

It was video referee Clark who advised whistle-blower Ben Cummins to penalise Smith for time wasting on Friday night.

The 65th-minute penalty led to Titans five-eighth Greg Bird scoring from the next set.

Under NRL rules, a player has 40 seconds to complete a line drop-out and the player taking the kick is given a 10-second warning.

According to Channel Nine commentators, who checked game video, Smith took 38 seconds to take the kick.

While fans have slammed the decision as nit-picking and over the top, referees boss Robert Finch said Clark was well within his rights to penalise Smith.

"We've penalised it before and it's been accepted by all the major stakeholders, including the coaches, for the last two years," Finch said. "It was put into place to stop time wasting on line drop-outs."

Told of Nine's claims during the coverage that Smith still had two seconds remaining to take the kick, Finch refuted it.

"I'm pretty confident it's not (38) because the video referee starts the clock as soon as the referee makes the decision, so I'm fairly comfortable that we're not going to be blowing a penalty at 38 seconds.

"The video referee had a stopwatch on it. Every video referee has a stopwatch on every goal-line drop-out."

League legend and Nine commentator Andrew Johns weighed into the debate yesterday, suggesting Smith may have played a role in the controversy.

"I was aware of the rule because I've heard the 10-second warning call from refs in a couple of previous games this season," Johns said.

"Whether they got the time wrong. I'm not too sure. We got a message during the call from our truck that it was only 38 seconds. But I ran into Steve Clark at the airport on the way back to Sydney and he was adamant the time had elapsed.

"I think Cameron [Smith] was playing with his socks or doing his shoelace up, so it might have been a case of him giving his players as big a breather as he could. They were under the pump at the time."

Titans coach John Cartwright said: "You could hear the ref give a 10-second warning through the Sports Ears."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

Sydney Titans Fanatic
11-04-10, 12:22 PM
good old sports ears shame mine ran out of batterys

amaline
11-04-10, 12:33 PM
This was my first game with sports ears. I don't think I'll be able to go back to not using them.

TITAN PETE
11-04-10, 12:52 PM
This was my first game with sports ears. I don't think I'll be able to go back to not using them.

I wore them for the 1st time at the 1999 Grand Final & i have used them ever since :D

DIEHARD
11-04-10, 12:52 PM

I totally agree mate. I love Sports Ears. :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
11-04-10, 12:56 PM
I totally agree mate. I love Sports Ears. :thumbsup:

31-03-07, 09:52 PM

DIEHARD
Administrator

Membership: LEGION

I think radio suffices for me. I'm interested in people's opinion on Sports Ear though.

Glad to see u changed your mind mate :D

Tamwelg
11-04-10, 01:02 PM
I wore them for the 1st time at the 1999 Grand Final & i have used them ever since :D

I got mine fathers day last year and also wear the religously. Being the gen 2 ears I've got the option to have ref in one ear and comentators in the other, which is how I use them.

DIEHARD
11-04-10, 01:43 PM
31-03-07, 09:52 PM

DIEHARD
Administrator

Membership: LEGION

I think radio suffices for me. I'm interested in people's opinion on Sports Ear though.

Glad to see u changed your mind mate :D

Hahaha. You know what changed my mind?

During the World Cup I got a RLWC08 SportsEar for $23.00. Cause there was like 70% off RLWC merch. I went back the next week and the sign changed to 70% off RLWC apparel.

Moral of the story is, I'm cheap. :laugh:

I love the ABC radio coverage though.

patskE
11-04-10, 01:59 PM
man, bird played so much better out wide, he has to much pressure being an number 6, slot him into the back row, n move rogers to 5/8 while prince is out, then move campbell there and rogers back to centre
toopi prob for other centre spot, or mabe just put taga there

titansrawesome
11-04-10, 02:03 PM
man, bird played so much better out wide, he has to much pressure being an number 6, slot him into the back row, n move rogers to 5/8 while prince is out, then move campbell there and rogers back to centre

leave bird at 6 for the time being, we need him to drop soward,hornby, hodgkinson and foran in the next few weeks.

Tamwelg
11-04-10, 02:58 PM

Why change a winning team?

Supergoose
11-04-10, 03:00 PM
To be honest I've considered a few options like having bird play in the centres outside Rogers or putting toopi in on the right side moving tomane out to the wing and mead to the bench (good impact from there). The only changes I reckon we should make though is bringing toopi in moving Rogers to five-eighth and playing bird in the backrow an having mini come off the bench. Mini's hands and ill-discipline are costing us early in every game. I think we need Rogers as a foil for campbell while prince is out. Bird can almost play his exact same game from lock or 2nd row as he can from 5/8. Bench of taga, mini, Thompson and Henderson/meyers looks awesome to me. White is playing alright but not as good as these other blokes. I was going nuts at the tele during the first half when mini started us off badly and a few others joined in, thank God for our second half, it was awesome and I can't wait to hammer the dragons next week. Wish I could be there.

Chaos
11-04-10, 03:25 PM
We've struggled in the 5/8 position since we've started and Birds the best 5/8 the Titans ever had...opposition 5/8's are scared of him, please don't move him out of there.

Preston is good enough to play anywhere in our backline and has filled in where we need him...I'm happy he's half while Prince is out.

If Bird gets injured...I rather see Preston at 5/8 and Rogers stay centre.

karnage
11-04-10, 03:29 PM
I think this forum is the only place in the world where people could seriously consider putting Toopi into our current backline.

He is average.

If he ever makes the Titans side it will mean that we are in serious trouble with injuries and/or suspensions. There are atleast 5 better options than having him anywhere near our top 17.

As for Bird, most of what people are saying about moving him does not make sense. We all agree that we have to improve and Bird has been improving out of sight every game, apart from a small hiccup against the Cowgirls when we were all flat. Compare Rd 1 v Warriors to last Friday - you could be excused for thinking it was a different player.

If this forum picked the team we would have a different 17 every week and no continuity whatsoever.

Carty does have 1 VERY difficult decision looming and that is what to do with Campbell/Zillman once Prince is fit again. I will leave it to him but it is something he is going to have to get right and it is not a problem he has had to face in his time as a 1st grade coach.

TITAN PETE
11-04-10, 03:31 PM
We've struggled in the 5/8 position since we've started and Birds the best 5/8 the Titans ever had...opposition 5/8's are scared of him, please don't move him out of there.

Preston is good enough to play anywhere in our backline and has filled in where we need him...I'm happy he's half while Prince is out.

If Bird gets injured...I rather see Preston at 5/8 and Rogers stay centre.

Well said Chaos & Tamwelg :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
11-04-10, 03:36 PM
Carty does have 1 VERY difficult decision looming and that is what to do with Campbell/Zillman once Prince is fit again. I will leave it to him but it is something he is going to have to get right and it is not a problem he has had to face in his time as a 1st grade coach.

This will be Carty's toughest selection choice of his coaching career & i think Zillman has earned the right to own the no1 Jersey

DIEHARD
11-04-10, 03:36 PM
Im all for keeping the current team. I think its spot on. Im on the Bird for #13 bandwagon, but Im fine to leave him there long term. Im certainly not on his case.

The Presto/Zillman conumderum is the big issue for me.

Tamwelg
11-04-10, 03:40 PM
This will be Carty's toughest selection choice of his coaching career & i think Zillman has earned the right to own the no1 Jersey

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: You've got my vote on that one :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Chaos
11-04-10, 03:41 PM
No side is injury free during the whole year and Titans will have there fair share of injuries in the backs line...Preston is the only bloke that can play anywhere in the backline...he's first choice on the paddock but doesn't need a stable position week to week.

titansrawesome
11-04-10, 04:20 PM

so what? campbell to bench or 5/8? i cant see campbell on the bench

TITAN PETE
11-04-10, 04:46 PM
so what? campbell to bench or 5/8? i cant see campbell on the bench

Thats exactly what i think should happen....when the opposition starts to get tired u send Presto on to replace anybody & he can rove around the ruck to cause havoc & this will add Longevity to his career ;)

Zillman is finally showing how good a fullback he is & we need the best no1 on the park week in week out ......

titansrawesome
11-04-10, 05:02 PM
Thats exactly what i think should happen....when the opposition starts to get tired u send Presto on to replace anybody & he can rove around the ruck to cause havoc & this will add Longevity to his career ;)

Zillman is finally showing how good a fullback he is & we need the best no1 on the park week in week out ......

i suppose but campbell is a Terrific tackler and is really good for the last line of defense.

patskE
11-04-10, 05:06 PM
well i fink once prince is back, and zillman is still playing good footy
i think u see bird move to the back row for presto

teke
11-04-10, 05:55 PM
I think this forum is the only place in the world where people could seriously consider putting Toopi into our current backline.

He is average.

If he ever makes the Titans side it will mean that we are in serious trouble with injuries and/or suspensions. There are atleast 5 better options than having him anywhere near our top 17.
.Agreed.

Toopi is struggling to come up to Qld Cup pace. If he ever makes the top squad it will be because of injuries. Without injuries Clinton will never make the top squad. Tomane is doing a good job at right centre as is Rogers, however these 2 need to look outside more as there have been chances to move it onto the 2 best open field runners in the team ie. the wingers.

Mead and Gordon have not had any ball on the run this year and this is a fact. The team is solid atm so i wouldnt be changing anything.

titansrawesome
11-04-10, 06:21 PM
Agreed.

Toopi is struggling to come up to Qld Cup pace. If he ever makes the top squad it will be because of injuries. Without injuries Clinton will never make the top squad. Tomane is doing a good job at right centre as is Rogers, however these 2 need to look outside more as there have been chances to move it onto the 2 best open field runners in the team ie. the wingers.

Mead and Gordon have not had any ball on the run this year and this is a fact. The team is solid atm so i wouldnt be changing anything.

YESS! you see the warriors,manly,tigers and other teams move the ball out in all parts of the field and early, the backs shouldn't only get the ball from scooting from dummy half or 0-20 meters out from the opposing line. I want to see rogers,zillman,campbell,tomane,mead and gordan in space frequently like last year. like they say no risk no reward(not really a risk though)

titansrawesome
11-04-10, 06:44 PM
also we need more second phase play like the warriors and the eels at the back of last year, good offloads tire and confuse the opposition and the warriors always create opportunities this way.

karnage
11-04-10, 07:57 PM
I think Presto could become the best impact player in the comp coming off the bench in the 30th odd minute of a 1st half with a licence to wreak havoc.

As for his defence, he is a lot better up in the line than he is at fullback. The last thing in the world I want is to sound critical of Presto - he is a genius - but RL is a 17 man game these days and at the moment, or when we have Zillman on the bench, we do not get full use of our bench.

The other thing in this that has not been mentioned yet is the boost that Zillman's confidence would get by being named 1st choice fullback. I really believe he would go to another level just with the feeling that he was the 1st choice custodian.

teke
11-04-10, 08:26 PM
I think Presto could become the best impact player in the comp coming off the bench in the 30th odd minute of a 1st half with a licence to wreak havoc.

Agree again. Prestos impact off the bench would be great. Im sure the coaching staff know this aswell. I think its only a matter of time.

Titanic
12-04-10, 12:06 AM
Zillman, Mead, Toopi/Tonga, Tomane, Gordon, Rogers, Prince/PC with Bird at lock would do me fine.

Supergoose
12-04-10, 09:51 AM
I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't shuffle things around for shuffling sake but if anyone thinks that our poor starts aren't due to poor handling an ill-discipline then they're off this planet. Our worst performer in that area should be benched and another option found. I also think everyone wants
to see Kevin Gordon and David Mead or tomane in space. Our current backline set-up isn't providing that, hence the call for a different 5/8, the person in charge of lighting up the backline. Bird is a lock and provides the second phase play on the fringes that most here are calling for. He doesn't provide the cut-out passes or kicking game that free up our centres and wingers. I don't even think zillman at fullback helps in this way. Maybe it is tactical why we don't have these things happen but why wouldn't a coach want his quickest players in open space? We need a better 5/8 and we need to not be handing the first 20 mins of every game to our opposition.

mikeyba
12-04-10, 01:52 PM
Hahaha. You know what changed my mind?

During the World Cup I got a RLWC08 SportsEar for $23.00. Cause there was like 70% off RLWC merch. I went back the next week and the sign changed to 70% off RLWC apparel.

Moral of the story is, I'm cheap. :laugh:

I love the ABC radio coverage though.

Having issues with mine this year....
Cant hear it at all.. had to switch to the ABC.. not sure whether it was my unit or the ground transmission wasnt cranked up enough... must be just mine.. couple of years old.. so cant take back for warranty !!:fight: :fight:

DIEHARD
12-04-10, 02:11 PM
I had issues with my reception in Section 30 early last year, it has since cleared up. So maybe try it in other areas of the stadium.

Funny SportsEar story. I was walking through Sydney CBD after the SOuths v Titans game. I was bored and my phone was flat. So I used my SportsEar.

I switched it on and it was on the ref's frequency and I immediately heard someone speaking in Arabic!! I thought I found Osama!