PDA

View Full Version : Broncos: New man with a mission

Super Cronk
09-12-05, 03:12 PM
New man with a mission: Broncos.com.au

MEET the Broncos' new Mr Natural.

http://www.broncos.com.au/Content/Attachment/FraserAnderson.jpg

Standing 190cm, weighing 103kg and packing pace, power and potential is Fraser Anderson, middle brother of Kiwi Test stars Vinnie and Louis.

At Broncos training last week, the 21-year-old monolith pipped renowned speedster Leon Bott over 40m with a scorching 4.92sec.

The time, recorded running into a fierce headwind in wet conditions, was the fastest in the squad.

He also finished near the top for tests measuring endurance and explosiveness.

Not bad for a guy with just five games in three years under his belt.

A product of Auckland's East Coast Bays club, Anderson quit the New Zealand Warriors development squad in 2003 to join a Mormon missionary in the Philippines town of Olongapo.

It wasn't until June that he ended his role as a missionary. But he has no regrets.

"I wanted a different experience and I got one - it changed my life," he said.

"I saw some shocking things. The conditions were poor - Third World kind of stuff - and we'd just go around helping out where we could.

"It was very hard to walk away from footy, but I also knew it would help me become a better person."

Warrick Anderson said he was "proud as punch" of his son for following his faith.

"It shows what sort of man Fraser is," he said.

"He paid his own way by selling his car and stereo and other things.

"There are not a lot of men who would give up what he did."

His opportunity with the Broncos came when Warrick - who coaches the Bays' open side - persuaded Brisbane mentor Wayne Bennett to give his son a trial. Anderson Sr yesterday rated Fraser a better player than both Vinnie and Louis and potentially the NRL's "next best thing".

"He's a cross between Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier," he said.

"Gasnier is the perfect centre and Fraser can be as good as him, and he will be better than Sonny Bill.

"He's big, tall, fast, has tremendous ball skills, is great on his feet and is a ferocious tackler."

Bays club president Clive Lindsay predicted Anderson would play for New Zealand by 2007. "He's just amazing, he's going to be an awesome player," he said.

Also a talented basketballer, Anderson made the New Zealand under-23 squad as a shooting guard when he was 15 and turned down scholarships to US colleges Washington State and Brigham Young University.

He also rejected recent interest from the New Zealand Breakers NBL franchise.

"I was tempted to go but league is such a family affair . . . it's in the blood," he said.

The Broncos consider Anderson a possible wing option, with Bott and Scott Minto likely to be under pressure to retain their spots.

"I'm a centre but Wayne's got me catching high balls," Anderson said.

Broncos prop Sam Thaiday said the players were astonished at Anderson's agility.

Back-rower David Stagg compared him with former flyers Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuqiri.

But Warrick Anderson said his son's greatest assets were his work ethic and competitiveness.

"If anyone gets the better of him I pity that person the next time," Warrick Sr said.

It's enough to have Broncos officials drooling in anticipation.

And while the proof will be in the pudding, it should at least be a feast worth waiting for.

---

Sounds impressive. Will be intresting to see if he can crack 1st grade and see how he goes.

Dakink
09-12-05, 03:58 PM
Crap - he's strong AND fast - the Broncos have uncovered another star here.

Queenslander
09-12-05, 03:59 PM
Sweet more talent to be injected to the broncos, i expect to see him on the field for the broncos around state of origin time.

Kallan
09-12-05, 07:34 PM
I hope he does get a good amount of games this year, probably not in the centres but on the wing. Here would be my Broncos Backline:
1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Hodges
4. Berrigan
5. F. Anderson

DeeGan
10-12-05, 12:09 AM
The same was said about Tame Tupou and he has been a dud thus far.

Geez I hate it when young players with no experience come into the pre-season with all this fan fare setting them up for a big fall if he does not turn out to be a "Williams cross Gasnier cross Sailor" - it is unfair and not needed.

Let's see if he earns and keeps his spot before we start labelling anything.

This is hillarious, "he will be better than Sonny-Bill"...tell me this, SBW has had one really good season so far from a possible two with 2005 ruined by injury, what is the comparison again? If your comparing hype then Anderson may just be a shot going off this article.

DeeGan