PDA

View Full Version : Greg bird in spot light again

Sydney Titans Fanatic
24-03-10, 07:50 PM
Greg Bird shows support for Danny Wicks and Chris Houston
March 24, 2010
By Stuart Honeysett
source-foxsports.com.au

Gold Coast Titans five-eighth Greg Bird has found himself in the spotlight yet again after suggesting Newcastle Knights duo Danny Wicks and Chris Houston should still be playing in the NRL despite being on charges for drug dealing.

Bird, who in 2009 had a conviction for reckless wounding quashed, said that players charged with criminal offences should be allowed to play without any disciplinary action.

"Danny Wicks hasn't been found guilty of anything, so he is innocent until he is proven guilty and that should be the stance that the NRL takes," Bird says.

"That is the stance society takes, so why can't the NRL have exactly the same stance?"

Wicks was arrested and charged in December with six counts of supplying prohibited drugs and two counts of drug possession. He will face Newcastle Local Court on March 31.

In a further blow for both the club and the code, teammate Chris Houston was charged in March with three counts of supplying ecstasy and one of supplying cocaine. He will face Newcastle Local Court on April 13.

The cases have obviously hit a raw nerve for the Titans No.6 who was sacked by Cronulla following the glassing incident in August 2008 and moved to French club Catalans in the English Super League as he fought to clear his name.

Originally found guilty of one count of reckless wounding and sentenced to eight months in prison, Bird was thrown a lifeline by the Titans after having his conviction quashed in the District Court in Sydney in November.

"I can't see why I wasn't allowed to play football either," Bird told Rugby League Week.

"That was in the past and I can't do anything about it now, but it was the wrong decision.

"Innocent until proven guilty should be the way to go and while it wasn't the case for me, hopefully the league can have a look at how they do things."

Bird's comments are certain to provoke outrage from Titans coach and strict disciplinarian John Cartwright given the NRL club has built its reputation on being trouble-free.

Chief executive Michael Searle was stunned one of his players felt the need to be commenting on such a serious issue facing another club, especially given Wicks and Houston both elected to stand down themselves pending the police investigation.

"I will have a chat to Greg and highlight that until you know all of the facts you shouldn't comment," Searle said.

"We understand Greg's situation was a very intense time of his life and he's clearly got a view but at the end of the day administrators are there to administrate the sport."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said his door was always open if Bird harboured a grudge about the way he was treated.

"Every one of these situations is different and we very much agree that where the facts are in dispute and are subject to court proceedings, it's difficult to act," Gallop said.

"But there will be situations where there are undisputed issues which will allow clubs to act before the court process is completed.

"In the Newcastle case, the players themselves were part of the decision to leave the club."

Coaster
24-03-10, 08:03 PM
Concentrate on catching the football Bird.

And why the hell was some reporter asking him about this garbage, someone at the titans needs to be pulled back into line, they should be talking football, not commenting on this stuff, with a $2 reporter out to make another scandal

titanstattman
24-03-10, 08:16 PM
Strike 1................:laugh::p

titansrawesome
24-03-10, 08:33 PM
well i don't think he really should be commenting on this stuff he is only 2 games in....

Sydney Titans Fanatic
24-03-10, 08:40 PM
well i don't think he really should be commenting on this stuff he is only 2 games in.... and no chris houston and danny wicks should nevere be allowed back to the nrl, they are drug dealers.

they have been charged and but havnt been found guilty, also like brett stewart for the sea eagles hes on some sexual assult charge and if he wasnt injured would be playing. so until found guily they should be allowed to play but again wicks and houston left at there own will...

Tamwelg
24-03-10, 08:44 PM
Strike 1................:laugh::p

Nah, it's a gutter ball at best :)

Ryan
24-03-10, 08:44 PM
Not exactly an outrage or scandal, the story isn't worth the paper its written on. But I'm as stunned as Searle, what's to gain in talking about such an issue?
Just shutup and let your football do the talking........

titanstattman
24-03-10, 10:02 PM
Nah, it's a gutter ball at best :)

I dont know it could of bounce off the bumper rails.....

Tamwelg
24-03-10, 11:43 PM
I dont know it could of bounce off the bumper rails.....

LMAO I'll pay that.

AmericanTitan
25-03-10, 02:06 AM
I think Bird should just be quiet in this instance.

The play of the team on the field hasn't been good enough that his attention should be anywhere else.