PDA

View Full Version : Ben Hannant and the Titans

Boofhead
18-03-10, 04:32 PM
'Homesick' Ben Hannant may quit Bulldogs
by Dean Ritchie | March 18, 2010 3:26PM

CANTERBURY prop Ben Hannant is considering asking for an early release from his Bulldogs contract.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ben Hannant and his wife Emma - who both come from the Gold Coast - are homesick.

It is understood the Gold Coast Titans have expressed preliminary interest in Hannant, should the Dogs agree to a release.

Hannant, off contract after 2011, will play for Canterbury in tomorrow night's match against St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper will reveal full details of the Hannant drama in tomorrow's edition.

The Daily Telegraph

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 04:37 PM
This would be fantastic, but we would be going against the Broncos as well.

But when the Titans want a player, we go hard. And we have alot of cards to play. Including the new Centre of Excellence.

Not only an excellent player but a man of great personal quality. He'd be the perfect Titan IMO.

I hope we can welcome the Polar Bear home to the Gold Coast. He'd be just what we are looking for, up front.

Boofhead
18-03-10, 04:49 PM
Bull has another 2-3 year left in him, imagine having Bailey and Hannant in the 8/10. I'm sure Searle will make the right transfers and get him back to where he belongs.

titansrawesome
18-03-10, 04:50 PM
damnnnnnnnn, talk about luck if we get him, we wouldn't be thin on props anymore.

Ryan
18-03-10, 04:51 PM
This would be fantastic, but we would be going against the Broncos as well.

But when the Titans want a player, we go hard. And we have alot of cards to play. Including the new Centre of Excellence.

Not only an excellent player but a man of great personal quality. He'd be the perfect Titan IMO.

I hope we can welcome the Polar Bear home to the Gold Coast. He'd be just what we are looking for, up front.
I agree, I doubt we have the cap room to even match the Donkey's - but we have more avenues of enticement. The Center of Excellence being one, but even more so being a stable topline team that is on the verge of a premiership rather than a has-been team in a rebuilding stage.

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 05:02 PM
Hannant asks Bulldogs for release

Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant has reportedly asked for an early release from the final two years of his contract.

Hannant, who hails from the Gold Coast and was one of four former Brisbane Broncos to join the Bulldogs last season, is said to be struggling to adapt to Sydney life.

Gold Coast Titans are reportedly keen to offer the Queensland and Kangaroos enforcer a lifeline should the Bulldogs agree to let him walk, while the Broncos are also believed to be circling.

The Bulldogs are understandably reluctant to let the 25-year-old player go, with club officials hopeful of talking him into honouring the remainder of his lucrative deal.

The 108kg front-rower played a key role in the Bulldogs' climb from the wooden spoon to second on the NRL ladder in 2009, averaging 132m and 34 tackles per game in 18 appearances for the club.

Hannant, a veteran of five appearances for Queensland, made his debut for the Kangaroos at the end of last season in the Four Nations tournament, playing in all four games.

The blond-haired prop has played 96 games in the top grade since making his debut for the Roosters in 2005 before joining the Broncos for three highly-successful seasons.

http://sportal.com.au/

titanstattman
18-03-10, 06:36 PM
This is one signing i will 1000000% get right behind...LOL

titansrawesome
18-03-10, 07:03 PM
ill be dissapointed is the broncos sign him.

patskE
18-03-10, 07:11 PM
so, if we gets an release, will it be mid season? or just at end of season?

GCT_07
18-03-10, 07:30 PM
I ve got a feeling he will end up a titan. He s been a bronco and is from the coast.................... I think we ve got ourselves a new member of our family

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 07:45 PM
They had this on 9 Brisbane news. And the Bulldogs said if they do release him he will only be allowed to go to either the BRONCOS or TITANS because his family is based on the Goldie.

titansrawesome
18-03-10, 07:51 PM
i thought they said he was released and he is only allowed to go to the broncos or us though, i think this destroys the dogs 2010 premiership aspirations and strengthens ours.

nzkiwis
18-03-10, 07:53 PM
Yeah get him, the titans can offload the liability that is Preston
Campbell and sign this guy, Zillman can start and you guys are contenders instead of pretenders!!!

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 07:57 PM
Yeah get him, the titans can offload the liability that is Preston
Campbell and sign this guy, Zillman can start and you guys are contenders instead of pretenders!!!

Mate if you are going to carry on like this, especially in unrelated threads.

Your stay here will be short.

lonegull
18-03-10, 08:11 PM
what great news for the titans this is out of the blue, just seen it on Nine news NSW Danny wielder interviewed todd greenberg buldogs ceo and he stated that if granted a release it will be only if he goes to titans or broncos he also stated that there would have to be a player swap looking forward to see what develops out of this

patskE
18-03-10, 08:13 PM
take WHITE
omg plz take white!

nzkiwis
18-03-10, 08:17 PM
This would add steel to an already strong forward pack giving even more go forward for the lethal backs you guys have to unleash. Bailey and Hannent as a combo is scary especially with the calibre of guys like Lafranchi and Harrison in the back row!!then top notch halves, top class, experienced centres and fullback, wish you had kept Walker for fire power out wide, he was great there

titansrawesome
18-03-10, 08:20 PM
yes patske i agree, TAKE WHITEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

daveyk
18-03-10, 08:23 PM
there would have to be reason that benny left he broncos and head south... the way i see it, his family is here and he is a gold coast boy... so my prediction would be that, like gct_07 said, welcome to the family hannant :)

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 08:29 PM
We are all in solidarity. Get Ben!

Incidently, saw him on NRL on FOX and I didnt realise he also has a great personality and sense of humour to boot.

daveyk
18-03-10, 08:31 PM
i spoke to him at one of our carrara games... i think it was against souths in 2007... he certainly one of the good guys.... he came down by himself to watch the titans play... and was even cheering for us aswell...

so many fans were asking for autographs and not once did he seem to have a problem with it...

great asset for the game of rugby league

Boofhead
18-03-10, 08:38 PM
A big transfer like this will push out alot of players, it will most definately be worth it though considering our depth in both the forwards and backs is the best it's ever been.

Reminds me a bit of Finch leaving the Eels last year... if he does come over lets hope he brings us a premiership too. :thumbsup:

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Mat Rogers
4. Joseph Tomane
5. David Mead
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ben Hannant
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Greg Bird

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Brad Meyers
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Luke O'Dwyer

There is no flaws in that side....

dean
18-03-10, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure that channel 9 news quoted that if the Bulldogs released Hannant then he would have to sit out the remainder of this season. Might be wrong but i'm 99% positive that was said.
Hope i heard wrong but if that is the case then I'm certainly hoping that Benny is a Titan in 2011.

titanstattman
18-03-10, 08:44 PM
ill be dissapointed is the broncos sign him.

The donkeys are looking at perto again.....

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 08:44 PM
I think we will be looking at 2011, surely we wont be lucky enough for a 2010 transfer.

He might as well play on at the Dogs for 2010 if they want him to sit out.

nzkiwis
18-03-10, 08:50 PM
The donkeys are looking at perto again.....

Perto? is that a mock towards one of the best props in tis history of the game who still plays at a high level? That ridiculous

titanstattman
18-03-10, 08:52 PM
Perto? is that a mock towards one of the best props in tis history of the game who still plays at a high level? That ridiculous

Sorry Petro. Yes the donkeys are looking ar signing im back

nzkiwis
18-03-10, 08:55 PM
Sorry Petro. Yes the donkeys are looking ar signing im back

wow you are clearly a Petro hater, a bloke that has given(and still does) so much to the game AND Queensland Rugby League. Any Titans fan would feel repulsed by his treatment if they are indeed QLand supporters. If the so called Donkeys(or Broncos as they are known) are looking at signing him back its coz he is ageless and they known exactly that they are getting, a class player with plenty left, you clearly have a limited knowledge into what your trying to say

Ryan
18-03-10, 08:58 PM
Ben Hannant seeks early release from Bulldogs contract to head home
By David Beniuk
March 18, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26868694-5018866,00.html

Gold Coast Titans have fielded an enquiry from Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant's manager after the homesick Test star asked for a release from his contract.

Hannant is tied to the Bulldogs until the end of the 2011 NRL season but his young family are struggling with life away from their home state.

"His family and he are struggling a little bit with life in Sydney and so we've opened some discussion about a potential early release for Ben,'' Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg said.

"We're not going to get the best out of him on the field and we're being realistic about that.''

The 25-year-old former Brisbane forward has three children, the youngest born last year.

It was reported that Hannant's family was finding it difficult being away from extended family.

Greenberg said the terms of any release would only allow the Test front-rower to return to the Broncos or link with the Titans.

"These discussions have been premised on the fact that he wants to return home, which is the Gold Coast, we're very understanding of that,'' Greenberg said.

"It's a tough one because there's still a bit of work to do.

"Fundamentally I have to stand up for the club to start with and make sure we're not worse off.''

That could mean Canterbury seeking a player swap.

Titans boss Michael Searle said he had taken a call from Hannant's manager but his club would find it almost impossible to fit him under the salary cap in 2010.

"I'd have to get more information before I went down that path but I would think it would be very difficult,'' he said.

"Even with a player swap it would be hard.''

Searle said he had been under the impression that Hannant was not available until next year.

"We've always said from a club point of view that we see our club as a vehicle to bring young Queenslanders home,'' he said of that possibility.

"We've had a very brief chat with his manager today and we'll see how it plays out.

"It would be a lot easier for us to do it in 2012.''

The loss of forward leader Hannant would be a huge blow to the Bulldogs after he was a key figure in their remarkable 2009 season turnaround.

The Titans have several formerly NSW-based forwards who the Dogs may try to entice home, although the tourist strip has proved popular with players.

Mark Minichiello, Anthony Laffranchi, Luke Bailey, Michael Henderson and Matt White are all New South Welshman currently on the Titans' books, but none is a front-rower in Hannant's class.

Brisbane Broncos have former St George Illawarra pair Ashton Sims and Lagi Setu contracted to the as well as former Wests Tigers forward Ben Te'o.

dean
18-03-10, 08:59 PM
I think we will be looking at 2011, surely we wont be lucky enough for a 2010 transfer.

He might as well play on at the Dogs for 2010 if they want him to sit out.

Sounded like Bennys priority is to get his family settled back and happy together on the Gold Coast ASAP. He probably wouldn't mind sitting out the season for the happiness and well being of his family. Great family man, great footballer and above all a great level headed bloke.

titanstattman
18-03-10, 08:59 PM
wow you are clearly a Petro hater, a bloke that has given(and still does) so much to the game AND Queensland Rugby League. Any Titans fan would feel repulsed by his treatment if they are indeed QLand supporters. If the so called Donkeys(or Broncos as they are known) are looking at signing him back its coz he is ageless and they known exactly that they are getting, a class player with plenty left, you clearly have a limited knowledge into what your trying to say

Have a think u idot.. i dont hate the guy all im saying is the donkeys are looking at re-signing him.. Where did u get the idea i hate the guy wen i allso know how much he has done for NRL.. so hav a good read b4 u go on with ur crap

Boofhead
18-03-10, 09:01 PM
Ship Henderson and White to the Dogs and bring Hannant over. Sounds good to me.

nzkiwis
18-03-10, 09:01 PM
Have a think u idot.. i dont hate the guy all im saying is the donkeys are looking at re-signing him.. Where did u get the idea i hate the guy wen i allso know how much he has done for NRL.. so hav a good read b4 u go on with ur crap

You need an NRL education, go talk to Matty Rogers or someone who lives close to you, you need the schooling LOL

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 09:06 PM
nzkiwis, come on chill man. Tatts knows his footy, believe me.

Let's get back on topic.

YES. Broncos are interested in Petro. But would they go for the younger Hennant instead?

The Broncos would have alot more under their cap. And the ability to cut more player if needed.

titanstattman
18-03-10, 09:07 PM
You need an NRL education, go talk to Matty Rogers or someone who lives close to you, you need the schooling LOL

Ur a wanker...

Even Ryan not as bad as u.......:laugh:

Boofhead
18-03-10, 09:08 PM
Have a holiday for a few days nzkiwis. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 09:11 PM
I'm micromanaging but...

The last time Ben played for the Broncos he was coached by Wayne Bennett, who is no longer there.

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 09:28 PM
Gold Coast speak with Hannant's manager

Gold Coast have fielded an enquiry from Canterbury prop Ben Hannant's manager after the homesick Test star asked for a release from his contract to return to Queensland.

Hannant is tied to the Bulldogs until the end of the 2011 NRL season but his young family are struggling with life away from their home state.

"His family and he are struggling a little bit with life in Sydney and so we've opened some discussion about a potential early release for Ben," Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg told the Nine Network on Thursday.

"We're not going to get the best out of him on the field and we're being realistic about that."

The 25-year-old former Brisbane forward has three children, the youngest born last year.

Nine said Hannant's family was finding it difficult being away from extended family.

Greenberg said the terms of any release would only allow the Test front-rower to return to the Broncos or link with the Titans.

"These discussions have been premised on the fact that he wants to return home, which is the Gold Coast, we're very understanding of that," Greenberg said.

"It's a tough one because there's still a bit of work to do.

"Fundamentally I have to stand up for the club to start with and make sure we're not worse off."

That could mean Canterbury seeking a player swap, the report said.

Titans boss Michael Searle said he had taken a call from Hannant's manager but his club would find it almost impossible to fit him under the salary cap in 2010.

"I'd have to get more information before I went down that path but I would think it would be very difficult," he told AAP.

"Even with a player swap it would be hard."

Searle said he had been under the impression that Hannant was not available until next year.

"We've always said from a club point of view that we see our club as a vehicle to bring young Queenslanders home," he said of that possibility.

"We've had a very brief chat with his manager today and we'll see how it plays out.

"It would be a lot easier for us to do it in 2012."

The loss of forward leader Hannant would be a huge blow to the Bulldogs after he was a key figure in their remarkable 2009 season turnaround.

The Titans have several formerly NSW-based forwards who the Dogs may try to entice home, although the tourist strip has proved popular with players.

Mark Minichiello, Anthony Laffranchi, Luke Bailey, Michael Henderson and Matt White are all New South Welshman currently on the Titans' books, but none is a front-rower in Hannant's class.

Brisbane have former St George Illawarra pair Ashton Sims and Lagi Setu contracted to the as well as former Wests Tigers forward Ben Te'o.

Brisbane officials did not immediately return AAP's call.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/gold-coast-speak-with-hannants-manager-20100318-qi93.html

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 09:40 PM
Maybe we will see some more news come to hand in tonight's Footy Show.

titansrawesome
18-03-10, 10:01 PM
this nzkiwi is starting to really piss me off, i have a feeling he wil make another account and stir crap again, anyways we shold trade white and hendo for hannant then my time would be like boofheads dream titans team

Sydney Titans Fanatic
18-03-10, 10:53 PM
this nzkiwi is starting to really piss me off, i have a feeling he wil make another account and stir crap again, anyways we shold trade white and hendo for hannant then my time would be like boofheads dream titans team

pretty sure boof would of banned his ip address so evan if he did make another account it would be banned ...*edit*

patskE
18-03-10, 10:57 PM
sif get rid of henderson... his a gun

his playing out this year for the dogs, but seeking an release at the end of it i think the footy show just said

Tamwelg
18-03-10, 11:55 PM
Bull has another 2-3 year left in him, imagine having Bailey and Hannant in the 8/10. I'm sure Searle will make the right transfers and get him back to where he belongs.

The Titans cannot afford both of them and I am quite confident you will see Luke either in the U.K. or back in Sydney next year. Bailey has done well in helping the club get established, but I'd much rather see Hannant come on board.

Tamwelg
19-03-10, 12:00 AM
Ship Henderson and White to the Dogs and bring Hannant over. Sounds good to me.

Luke Bailey's wife has expressed her intention to return to Sydney after Luke's cont5ract was up on several occasions. We may see a swap type deal occur.

Boofhead
19-03-10, 12:31 AM
Could a straight swap Bailey for Hannant be on the cards?

Tamwelg
19-03-10, 12:54 AM
Could a straight swap Bailey for Hannant be on the cards?

That's what I'm thinking

Ben Hannant reveals exclusively why he may quit the Bulldogs to return to Queensland
CANTERBURY front-rower Ben Hannant has spoken for the first time about the severe homesickness that could force him to quit the Bulldogs.

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph last night, Hannant said: "It's not about me, it's about my kids.

"I've spoken to (CEO) Todd Greenberg, so he knows my concerns about living in Sydney."

A Queensland State of Origin prop, Hannant, 25, has had discussions with Greenberg about an early release. He and wife Emma want to return to the Gold Coast to be near their families.

It is understood the Titans have expressed interest in Hannant, provided he receives a release, and see him as an ideal replacement for veteran Luke Bailey.
Brisbane are also ready to weigh in with a massive offer to Hannant.

It is likely Hannant will play out the season with Canterbury before obtaining a release from the final year of his deal.

The Bulldogs might ask Hannant's new club for a player swap to compensate for losing him.

Hannant said he, Emma and their three young children have struggled to adapt to the breakneck speed of Sydney. "I love the Bulldogs," Hannant said. "But it's not about me, it's about my kids.

"It's all going great at Canterbury but I have a young family and it is tough down here being so far from home. I miss my family, so does my wife. Family comes first to us. They always have.

"I am having private talks. I've spoken to Todd, so he knows my concerns about living in Sydney. He did so before I signed.

"This is all family and what's best for my family. The Bulldogs are like a family but I have to do what's best for my kids.

"They are starting school soon and I have to work out what lifestyle I want to bring them up in."

The Daily Telegraph broke the news of Hannant's doubts online yesterday afternoon.

Hannant will line up in the Bulldogs forward pack for tonight's big match against St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

"Let's be clear, Ben is under contract here until after 2011," Greenberg said.

"He is a wonderful footballer and is certainly very well liked by everyone at the Bulldogs.

"Ben has been very honest with (coach) Kevin Moore and I about the difficulties he and his family are experiencing living in Sydney. We understand it is not easy, particularly with young children. We haven't provided a release as yet but what we have said is that we will work toward a palatable outcome for both parties.

"Ideally, we would like to see Ben remain at the Bulldogs for a long time to come."

Titans CEO Michael Searle said his club would definitely be interested in signing Hannant.

"If he was available and his family wanted to return home, naturally we want to talk to him," Searle said. "That's been our mantra from day one - the NSW-based boys come home to Queensland."

www.dailytelegraph.com.au

amaline
19-03-10, 07:22 AM
There was an interview with Bailey in Rugby League Week. One of the questions was "The Titans have taken up their option on you for 2011. Do you have plans to play for the club beyond that?" The answer was "I don't think so". Basically says how much he wants to play overseas and see the world and then "head home". A swap could be possible.

ozynorts
19-03-10, 09:04 AM
I would love to hannant come to the titans but i think the dogs are going to want more than bailey in a trade. i love bailey but he doesn't have the upside that hannant does so we may have to give them 2 players for him. still it would be worth it for a current origin and national player.

patskE
19-03-10, 09:33 AM
mmm loosing bull, thats an hard choice :S

but seriously, give em white!, not Henderson, i rate that guy, he just needs to get a few games under him... his had a bad run with injurys since his leg break.

curly_11
19-03-10, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately i think it would be the bull that would leave in place of Hannant. The salary cap will be under pressure next year especially if we are looking to keep bird. The positives are that hannant still has his best years in front of him! If we sign him it means more representative players in our team which will help us when it comes to the finals!:thumbsup:

I would prefer a Henderson/White swop or both but i think a few of you will be surprised by White this year. He should glimpses of being a solid player. Im not that big a fan of him or Hendo (the error machine:doh: ) but i can see potential in both of them!

NZKIWIS im all for having a laugh and the bait thread i can take but dude we are here to discuss football and BE POSITIVE no need for silly payout nonsense!

TITAN PETE
19-03-10, 11:25 AM
I hope the Polar Bear comes home but i only hope theres no trade that involves some of the younger players like Ryan James,Ben Ridge or Dom Walsh who himself could become another Hannet ...get him but not at the expense of Our Future :nope: & i also believe we haven't seen the best of Hendo yet so i wouldn't let him go either ;)

curly_11
19-03-10, 12:17 PM
I hope the Polar Bear comes home but i only hope theres no trade that involves some of the younger players like Ryan James,Ben Ridge or Dom Walsh who himself could become another Hannet ...get him but not at the expense of Our Future :nope: & i also believe we haven't seen the best of Hendo yet so i wouldn't let him go either ;)

To right you are! Poor ridgy is injured again though....we have a lot of talent coming through that we need to develop and reap the rewards! I think a possible call up for any of the three mentioned players depending on injuries and or origin/rep duty!

warriorsnz
19-03-10, 04:08 PM

What did he do to you buddy? Your a little *****

warriorsnz
19-03-10, 04:10 PM
pretty sure boof would of banned his ip address so evan if he did make another account it would be banned ...*edit*

No such luck sunshine lol

Coaster
19-03-10, 04:53 PM

yay i get to try this out

are you ready

ere we go

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/banhammer.jpg

got ya

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 05:21 PM
What did he do to you buddy? Your a little *****

don't you have anything better to do with your life? no? get over yourself loser.BTW no one here is your buddy so don't say BUDDY to anyone here.

daveyk
19-03-10, 07:02 PM
hey troll... no doubt you will be back... again...
next time you wanna stir people up... step out from behind your computer...
we are all very passionate footy fans here and we all love our team dearly
your comments are not warranted!!!!

now back to the topic at hand...

i agree pete... we cant gamble with the future of our club... i actually thought bulls contract was up at the end of this season...

TITAN PETE
19-03-10, 09:32 PM
Kiwi's get a bad name from Flea's like this.......maybe he , She or Ba Ba should come down to a game of "Touch" & run at Doug or Myself ;)

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:34 PM
Kiwi's get a bad name from Flea's like this.......maybe he , She or Ba Ba should come down to a game of "Touch" & run at Doug or Myself ;)

Thats the spirit Pete

daveyk
20-03-10, 01:04 AM

speaking of touch... ithink we need to get a game going one day soon.. once all this rain racks off....

Sydney Titans Fanatic
20-03-10, 02:37 AM

yep somehow your ip address has been blocked get a life wanke r

amaline
20-03-10, 08:16 AM
Titans odds-on to sign homesick Hannant as Broncos pull out
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26874951-5018866,00.html

The chances of Gold Coast Titans signing homesick Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant have firmed dramatically with Brisbane Broncos officially dropping out of the race.

Broncos officials, including chief executive Bruno Cullen and coach Ivan Henjak, met to discuss signing Hannant, who is looking for an early release from his contract at the Bulldogs which expires at the end of 2011.

Despite the fact Hannant had played at the club before, Cullen informed his manager George Mimis the Broncos were no longer interested.

"Ben's a fine player, he's been here before, but at this point in time we can probably do without all the distraction and hype surrounding his possible move," Cullen said.

The Titans were always considered the front-runner for Hannant given his schoolboy coach, Rod Patison, looks after the Toyota Cup (under-20s) team and they are in the market to replace ageing prop Luke Bailey.

Patison coached Hannant at Palm Beach Currumbin and the pair retains a strong friendship.

"Having Rod Patison here could be a trump card for us," Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle said.

"Rod coached Ben at Palm Beach Currumbin and is a huge wrap for him. They still have a good relationship so I think that could be something that works in our favour if it gets that far.

"I guess we will just wait and see what happens with him at the Bulldogs. Ben needs to sort his situation out there before we consider anything else."

Earlier, Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said he had informed the Broncos and the Titans about Hannant as far back as January and repeated his position he would not make a deal unless a suitable replacement was provided.

"We've said to Ben that he's in our top five players and he's an Origin and Australia prop and we've got to make sure we're representing the best interests of our club," Greenberg said.

"We've got to make sure we take care of that while also being very mindful of the fact we have a strong affection for him and his family and have got to make sure we look after them at the same time."

The Broncos' move will fuel speculation that Petero Civoniceva could return to the club given he is off contract at Penrith and weighing up his options.

Civoniceva, who will lead the Panthers against North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville, was lured to Penrith from Brisbane on a three-year deal in 2008.

The 34-year-old Queensland prop's potential exit would help the Panthers retain Michael Jennings and Frank Pritchard who are both off contract this year.

"The ball's in Petero's court at the moment and it's his decision from here," Penrith chief executive Michael Leary said.

"He's been great for us and I couldn't speak more highly of him.

"Our priority is to keep him and I think he's got two years left in him after this year for sure."

Jennings and Pritchard have both been tied to the future of Jarrod Sammut - who has an offer from England - although he has already received half his contract money and isn't on a huge deal.

NSW centre Jennings is rated as the most important player at Penrith and the club will have to do everything it can to retain him.

"It's all very positive and hopefully we'll have something to say on that in the near future," Panthers coach Matthew Elliott said.

Pritchard is one of the most damaging forwards in the game and after years of agitating for a release is now keen to stay.

"Franky has become a really important member of the whole organisation and his influence on the team is huge," Elliott said.

DIEHARD
21-03-10, 01:09 PM
Things are looking good for the Titans. I'm sure we will do everything we can to sign Ben.

The Titans were always considered the front-runner for Hannant given his schoolboy coach, Rod Patison, looks after the Toyota Cup (under-20s) team and they are in the market to replace ageing prop Luke Bailey.

Patison coached Hannant at Palm Beach Currumbin and the pair retains a strong friendship.

"Having Rod Patison here could be a trump card for us," Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle said.

I didn't realise this, hopefully that gives us even more chance.

GCT_07
21-03-10, 01:43 PM
IMO Its a given..... he will be a Titan.

His family is on the coast.... Gold Coast is a one team town..... he left the donkies when Bennet did (pretty sure he did.... )....either way the Bronco s arent who they were 3 years ago. So it wouldnt be like a homecoming........

Titans are the buzz of RL at the moment...... as a player you would want to be a part of that.

Add to that Bailey stepping down as Co Captain and his family wanting to go back to Sydney........also IMO Bailey is a bit hot and cold over the last season so maybe he needs a more settled home life to be able to be consistant...... maybe....maybe not.....

daveyk
21-03-10, 02:27 PM
brisbane have also officially pulled out of the hunt for Benny.... so that will only leave us

titansrawesome
21-03-10, 02:29 PM
but do we have to wait a year? or can we poach him now? if so we will have

8.hannant
10.meyers
14.cannings

we'd probably have to trade bailey or hendo

GCT_07
21-03-10, 02:36 PM
but do we have to wait a year? or can we poach him now? if so we will have

8.hannant
10.meyers
14.cannings

we'd probably have to trade bailey or hendo

The bulldogs CEO said it would have consider it for next season but that he will play out this year at the bulldogs

titanstattman
21-03-10, 03:18 PM

mmmmmmmm Can it happen can it dad can it...........pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

titanstattman
21-03-10, 03:27 PM
Im happy to hear the donkeys are out of the race.. i'll love to see the south gold coast boy back here nd in the titans gear

DIEHARD
21-03-10, 03:41 PM
Where did ya hear the Broncos are out mate? News article? Or TV? I haven't heard.

Ryan
21-03-10, 03:44 PM
Where did ya hear the Broncos are out mate? News article? Or TV? I haven't heard.
I've read it in a few different articles.

*EDIT* Amaline posted the same article above....

Titans odds-on to sign homesick Hannant as Broncos pull out
By Stuart Honeysett
March 20, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26874951-5018866,00.html

The chances of Gold Coast Titans signing homesick Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant have firmed dramatically with Brisbane Broncos officially dropping out of the race.

Broncos officials, including chief executive Bruno Cullen and coach Ivan Henjak, met to discuss signing Hannant, who is looking for an early release from his contract at the Bulldogs which expires at the end of 2011.

Despite the fact Hannant had played at the club before, Cullen informed his manager George Mimis the Broncos were no longer interested.

"Ben's a fine player, he's been here before, but at this point in time we can probably do without all the distraction and hype surrounding his possible move," Cullen said.

"Rod coached Ben at Palm Beach Currumbin and is a huge wrap for him. They still have a good relationship so I think that could be something that works in our favour if it gets that far.

"I guess we will just wait and see what happens with him at the Bulldogs. Ben needs to sort his situation out there before we consider anything else."

Earlier, Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said he had informed the Broncos and the Titans about Hannant as far back as January and repeated his position he would not make a deal unless a suitable replacement was provided.

"We've said to Ben that he's in our top five players and he's an Origin and Australia prop and we've got to make sure we're representing the best interests of our club," Greenberg said.

"We've got to make sure we take care of that while also being very mindful of the fact we have a strong affection for him and his family and have got to make sure we look after them at the same time."

The Broncos' move will fuel speculation that Petero Civoniceva could return to the club given he is off contract at Penrith and weighing up his options.

Civoniceva, who will lead the Panthers against North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville, was lured to Penrith from Brisbane on a three-year deal in 2008.

The 34-year-old Queensland prop's potential exit would help the Panthers retain Michael Jennings and Frank Pritchard who are both off contract this year.

"The ball's in Petero's court at the moment and it's his decision from here," Penrith chief executive Michael Leary said.

"He's been great for us and I couldn't speak more highly of him.

"Our priority is to keep him and I think he's got two years left in him after this year for sure."

Jennings and Pritchard have both been tied to the future of Jarrod Sammut - who has an offer from England - although he has already received half his contract money and isn't on a huge deal.

NSW centre Jennings is rated as the most important player at Penrith and the club will have to do everything it can to retain him.

"It's all very positive and hopefully we'll have something to say on that in the near future," Panthers coach Matthew Elliott said.

Pritchard is one of the most damaging forwards in the game and after years of agitating for a release is now keen to stay.

"Franky has become a really important member of the whole organisation and his influence on the team is huge," Elliott said.

titanstattman
21-03-10, 03:47 PM
Things are looking good for the Titans. I'm sure we will do everything we can to sign Ben.

I didn't realise this, hopefully that gives us even more chance.

And above this post of urs....hahahahahaha

all u have to do ppl is read above u and AMALINE has post it.:P

daveyk
21-03-10, 03:47 PM
cheeers ryan... i was far too lazy to post up the articcle... but yeh i had red it a few times aswell....

things are certainly looking good for us now.. so who would we trade if it came to that...

DIEHARD
21-03-10, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys.

Sunday Mail takes an even more comprehensive view that the Broncos are out. Just starting ready the paper.

I don't really believe it. They can produce the backs for sure but you cant beat experience and leadership up front. Surely he'd be a choice signing and they'd have plenty of cash.

But I hope it's true, I have already begun mentally photoshopping him into a Titans jersey for 2011.

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 03:49 AM
Not so simple to bring Ben home

BULLDOGS boss Todd Greenberg yesterday declared he would want compensation in the form of Titans players if a deal was struck to return Ben Hannant home to the Gold Coast.

As Titans managing director Michael Searle prepares to begin talks with the Canterbury and Queensland prop this week, Greenberg said the Bulldogs would not be letting Hannant leave simply out of the goodness of his heart.

``If we are going to release a player who is currently under contract, we are going to want something in return,'' said Greenberg. ``In simple terms, that is a player swap of some sorts.

``To be fair, at the moment it is not like we have got a name or two or three on our list.

``I don't yet have a feel for who is on contract, who is off contract, who would want to look at Sydney and those sorts of questions.

``That is probably a discussion I am going to have to have with whichever club in the end is considering making him an offer.''

The Titans are the favourites to sign Hannant after the Brisbane Broncos withdrew their interest at the weekend.

The Gold Coast-product, who was named Dally M prop of the year last season, has told the Bulldogs he wished to return home with his wife and three young children to be closer to family.

First Hannant, who is a little more than one season into a three-year deal with Canterbury, must secure an early release from the Bulldogs.

Greenberg said Hannant did not have any type of `get out' clause in his contract so his ability to return home hinged on a player trade.

``I think we are being fair and reasonable to say that to provide a release for a player, who is obviously a Kangaroo and Origin player, there would need to be something in return for us,'' said Greenberg.

He hinted he wanted two players in return for Hannant, whether that is two emerging talents, or one youngster and an established first grader is not known.

Senior Titans Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello are two players who have already been tossed up by the rumour mill, while props Aaron Cannings and Matt White are off contract at the end of this year.

But Greenberg said just because the Bulldogs looked like losing a prop, didn't mean they were necessarily chasing a front rower.

The Bulldogs are also hunting a long-term replacement for veteran playmaker Brett Kimmorley, so could turn their attention to someone such as highly-touted teenage Titans pivot Jordan Rankin.

Star under-20s back rower Dom Walsh, who was born and raised in Sydney, could also come into the crosshairs as the club looks to life after ageing skipper Andrew Ryan.

``We are into some unchartered territory so it is going to need some discussions,'' said Greenberg.

``At the moment it hasn't gone anywhere as such.

``We are due to catch up with Ben and his manager at the back end of this week, so we will have some more discussions with him then,'' he said.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

amaline
23-03-10, 07:57 AM
Surely we wouldn't trade Rankin or Walsh. It does seem like Bailey and Minichiello would be likely. I wouldn't want to lose either of them, but Bailey will be leaving at the end of next year regardless, and we'll have to make way for some of these backrowers we have coming through.

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 02:36 PM
Sorry don't have sources on this but i think this from the bulliten and foxsports.com.au, apparentely if we are to get hannant next year we need to trade 2 of the following- Bailey,Cannings,Minnichello,Rankin and Dominic Walsh,.
all fine players that i don't feel necessary to trade two of them to get hannant.
also apparantely Hannant is looking for a 450k deal which is 150k more than his bulldogs deal.

we should just ditch hannant if this deal is non-negotiable and buy russell packer.

matti
23-03-10, 02:44 PM
stuff that, he can look elsewere, his not that great either,

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 02:56 PM
Surely he can't dictate such a high price. If he wants to come home it'd have to be for less than his current deal. Especially if the Broncos are out of the market.

Don't wanna trade Mini! Don't wanna see Rankin go. But Ben would bring somuch to our club and I hope we go all out to get him.

TITAN PETE
23-03-10, 02:57 PM
Sorry don't have sources on this but i think this from the bulliten and foxsports.com.au, apparentely if we are to get hannant next year we need to trade 2 of the following- Bailey,Cannings,Minnichello,Rankin and Dominic Walsh,.
all fine players that i don't feel necessary to trade two of them to get hannant.
also apparantely Hannant is looking for a 450k deal which is 150k more than his bulldogs deal.

we should just ditch hannant if this deal is non-negotiable and buy russell packer.

You rate Packer more than anyone else on here...must be missing something :ugh:

I can almost agree with you but of the list of players stated the most important to keep would be Dom Walsh & maybe Rankin but we could recover from the other 3 as long as Hannant was signed as we would get over the loss of Minni pretty easily with the backrowers we already have in the stable & Cannings may just be at the "too many injuries" time in his career to be re-signed anyway :( , lets just win the comp this year & worry about 2011 when it gets here ;)

jonesy09
23-03-10, 03:10 PM
You rate Packer more than anyone else on here...must be missing something :ugh:

I can almost agree with you but of the list of players stated the most important to keep would be Dom Walsh & maybe Rankin but we could recover from the other 3 as long as Hannant was signed as we would get over the loss of Minni pretty easily with the backrowers we already have in the stable & Cannings may just be at the "too many injuries" time in his career to be re-signed anyway :( , lets just win the comp this year & worry about 2011 when it gets here ;)

Im another that rates packer massively! not many props if any at his age that are dominating like he is but only my opinion. I remember hannant at the same age as packer and not half the player, was only getting small minutes and not much impact. I think Dom Walsh and Ryan James are both future rep players and could be anything! Dont give away our hard work on our youth, but in saying that i still rate Hannant just dont agree with swaps and also his price tag which may not even be correct.

Tamwelg
23-03-10, 03:24 PM

Without a source, it's rather useless information. It doesn't sound quite right. I'll hold my comments until more information comes to light.

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 03:44 PM
Merged Ben Hannant threads into one.

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 05:19 PM
Without a source, it's rather useless information. It doesn't sound quite right. I'll hold my comments until more information comes to light.

i got the players bit form todays gold coast bulliten and the 450k part from http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=35740, i think packer is good because he is young and gains meters(eg re-watch titans vs warriors round 1) and he is cheap.
my point is why should we give up our great talent and pay 150k more for hannant? i would struggle to do that for greg inglis and he is a beast.

Ryan
23-03-10, 05:28 PM
i got the players bit form todays gold coast bulliten and the 450k part from http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=35740, i think packer is good because he is young and gains meters(eg re-watch titans vs warriors round 1) and he is cheap.
my point is why should we give up our great talent and pay 150k more for hannant? i would struggle to do that for greg inglis and he is a beast.
From the article:

"However, there are reports that Hannant seeks to gain upwards of $450,000 by joining the Titans next year whereas he's currently on just over $300,000 at the Bulldogs."

Didn't bother with the rest of the article.
I'm taking Tamwelg's stance and waiting for something more credible.

You'd be crazy for even thinking twice about taking Ingliss for $450k.....

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 05:31 PM
still even without the extra 150k reports, do we really want to give away two of our best rookies that have promising futures or our veterans that get the job done week in week out? i'm all for signing a gold coast local who has rep honours if the price is right.

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 05:31 PM
An increase of $150,000 that'd be dreaming. But all hearsay atm.

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 05:35 PM
I don't think you can undervalue the benefits of having such a strong ang young forwards leader. If we get him, he will likely be with us for a long time.

We spend big bucks on halfbacks. But I think a Maroon and Kangaroo first class prop is just as vital.

Sure we need to think about up and comers but youcant win PRemiership just off that. Gotta live in the now. We need leaders and role models for the new generation.

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 05:40 PM
Hannant is good,no denying that, but for crying out loud bulldogs already want 2.6 million for sonny bill to return to another club if he comes back and now they want two of our top players after offloading hannant( which will greatly favour their budget and salary cap). trust me i have seen coast juniors in under 20's, 16's and 18's we don't need him that bad. we came 3rd last year without him and we are undefeated this year without him.

Coaster
23-03-10, 05:42 PM
Hannett wants to come back to the coast, not the other way round.

I would love to see him here, but if it is serious about the 450k, then forget it completely.

You would never pay more then 300k for a premium front rower, regardless of how good they are. It is too easy to pay a meat head from the UK, to come here.

In saying that i do not think that a front rower earns his stripes until he matures, and Hannett is the perfect mould for a long term prospect, but there is no way he will be looking at anything over 300k.

Bailey = Hannett
straight swap, if Bailey wants out, if not push the whole deal away.

Sorry Ben, but you need us alot more then we need you, if you are serious about coming here, and want to live on the coast, then you will compromise and take whatever paycut you need to to do the deal.

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 05:45 PM
exactly he needs us more than we need him, He wants to come back to only the gold coast since brisbane have pulled out and our team is better than the winless bulldogs and our juniors believe me are wayy better.

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 05:51 PM
I agree with you Coaster!

Tamwelg
23-03-10, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the link. In honour of the castle, tell him he's dreaming. Homesick and wants to come home, but wants a pay rise at the same time LOL. If anything we should pay him less. Maybe he's trying to over sell himself because he knows his options to come home are minimal. Like everyone else, I would love him at the club, but not at $450000

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the link. In honour of the castle, tell him he's dreaming. Homesick and wants to come home, but wants a pay rise at the same time LOL. If anything we should pay him less.

yeah we should get him for less, maybe give them bailey and set that as the deal no more no less.

Ryan
23-03-10, 06:05 PM
In honour of the castle, tell him he's dreaming.

I almost posted that myself :laugh:

patskE
23-03-10, 07:09 PM
cant see us ever trading rainkin away, titans have invested so much in that guy!

Tamwelg
23-03-10, 11:16 PM
Titans rule out Hannant bid

GOLD Coast chief executive Michael Searle yesterday made it clear he would not trade any Titans players for homesick Bulldogs Test prop Ben Hannant.

Searle's strong stand could leave Hannant with little alternative but to honour his Bulldogs contract which expires at the end of 2011, especially as the Broncos say they will not bid for his signature.

The Titans believe they can accommodate the local boy in 2012, but a deal for next year would be almost impossible, particularly if it involved a player swap as has been suggested by Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg.

"It is a challenge to come up with a solution to satisfy the Bulldogs and Ben," Searle said.

"We will make a swift decision because we don't want our players in limbo about what is likely to happen, and I'm sure Ben and his family would not want this to drag on, and neither would the Bulldogs especially as they are struggling.

"I'm not interested in trading any of our players. I'm not into meat trading.

"I have a lot of difficulty with the trading thing because these are people's lives we're talking about.

"The only way we would was if a player came to us and said he wanted to go. But I know our players are happy here.

"Chris Walker almost stayed last year even though he was offered three times as much to play in France.

"We recently extended (prop) Luke Bailey's deal and we are well down the path of finalising new deals for (second-rower) Mark Minichiello and (utility) Luke O'Dwyer."

Searle said he would travel to Sydney on Friday to meet Greenberg and Hannant's manager, but he was struggling to see how things could play out according to Hannant's wishes.

Hannant, a former Palm Beach-Currumbin student, contacted Searle in February to say he was homesick and approached Canterbury looking for a release.

Searle said the Hannant situation was different to the one involving Melbourne winger Steve Turner in 2007 because that involved a breach of contract.

In the end the Titans accepted two lesser known players as part of the compensation deal.

The Broncos have left the door open for veteran prop Petero Civoniceva to return next season after his current deal with Penrith expires.

The Titans play Canberra at Skilled Park on Saturday night with Raiders prop David Shillington coming home to Queensland $500 lighter in the pocket and without a driver's licence after his conviction for drink-driving.

Burleigh Bears forward Brad Baldry faces a five-match ban on a dangerous throw charge arising from last Saturday's game against Souths.

Hooker Scott Smith was involved in the same tackle and faces a one-match ban.

www.couriermail.com.au

Boofhead
23-03-10, 11:24 PM
Nice stance Searle... Best way to go about it.

So by the sounds of that Bulls contract has been extended?

Tamwelg
23-03-10, 11:39 PM
Nice stance Searle... Best way to go about it.

So by the sounds of that Bulls contract has been extended?

I'd say they've just taken up the 1 year option to keep him on for next year, but who knows.

titansrawesome
23-03-10, 11:47 PM
good, i like his approach about trading like my opinion, this isn't weekly nba trades

DIEHARD
23-03-10, 11:54 PM
We got Bull for 2011.

I support Michael Searle's stance. We wouldnt and shouldnt trade an unwilling player.

Nine News reports the Bulldogs management believe Ben wants to move north because of $$$$ but will not publically say so. I don't believe it.

teke
24-03-10, 02:01 AM
Russell Packer would be an unbelievably good buy. This young prop has been destroying opposition teams in the last year and he is only going to get better.

To be honest he would be a way better buy than Hannant.

curly_11
24-03-10, 08:54 AM
Im jumping on the Packer bandwagon too! Hes going to be a machine for many years to come!

Hannant is dreaming for that amount of money! If he wants a release and come home he has to sacrifice something to! I dont like the bulldogs management especially greenberg! Hes a greedy little sh1t!

Good on searle! Thats why i like him, stands up for what is in the best interests of the players and the club. Best CEO in the league! :salute:

titansrawesome
24-03-10, 09:09 AM
so its settled my plan to get packer next year is better than getting an over priced hannant and having to trade 2 valuable players.

amaline
24-03-10, 09:38 AM
Dogs want deal, or it's no deal for Hannant
BRAD WALTER
March 24, 2010

HOMESICK Test prop Ben Hannant may be forced to stick it out at Canterbury until 2012, or pay the Bulldogs a Sonny Bill Williams-type release fee if he wants to move to the Gold Coast before his contract expires.

While all at the Bulldogs are sympathetic to Hannant and his wife, Emma, who have not settled into Sydney since joining the club last year and want to return to south-east Queensland, Canterbury management will not allow him to depart at the end of the season if the team is going to be significantly weakened.

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg has suggested that whichever club Hannant joins of the two Canterbury is prepared to release him to - the Broncos and Titans - either pays some financial compensation or enters into a player swap.

But after Brisbane ruled out a bid to regain the services of Hannant, who played three seasons for the club from 2006, the Titans are his only option if he is to leave Canterbury early. But Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle is reluctant to pay a transfer fee to the Bulldogs or release any of his players to them.

It is understood the Bulldogs would not necessarily want another prop to replace the 25-year-old but rumoured targets such as Mark Minichiello and Luke Bailey would be off the agenda as Minichiello is close to re-signing and Bailey is contracted for another year and the Titans do not intend letting him go. No trade would be possible unless the players involved were willing to move to Sydney and play for Canterbury.

Whether the Titans would be able to pay Hannant the $350,000 a year he is on at the Bulldogs is also unlikely, as they had not actively pursued him and were not planning to chase a big-name signing next season.

Searle and Greenberg will meet later this week to discuss ideas for a possible deal to allow Hannant to move to the Gold Coast before his contract expires at the end of next year.

Hannant addressed teammates at Canterbury Leagues Club before boarding the team bus to Wollongong for last Friday's match against St George Illawarra, re-affirming his commitment to the team this season.

The news that he was unhappy living in Sydney and wanted to return to the Gold Coast took many of them by surprise, with some only learning that he had been in talks with Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore when his feelings were aired in an interview in Friday's Herald.

''It just sort of came out as it did,'' prop Michael Hodgson said yesterday. ''But it's not really an issue for us. It's not going to affect me personally. The club is going to work through it and hopefully get the best outcome.''

Hodgson said Hannant had been quick to stand before his teammates and reinforce his commitment to win a premiership this year, despite his desire to eventually leave.

''He addressed us at the leagues club,'' Hodgson said. ''He's committed to our team for this season as he'll show week-in, week-out what he's about. He's a representative player and a professional. He's doing the best that he sees fit for himself and his family.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dogs-want-deal-or-its-no-deal-for-hannant-20100323-qu60.html

Tamwelg
24-03-10, 09:46 AM
Imagine if we were able to snare Hannant for next season without doing a player swap. With Bailey finding some form again and remaining for another season, he and Hannant would make an awesome front row for 2011.

amaline
24-03-10, 11:26 AM
Titans rule out Hannant bid

GOLD Coast chief executive Michael Searle yesterday made it clear he would not trade any Titans players for homesick Bulldogs Test prop Ben Hannant.

Searle's strong stand could leave Hannant with little alternative but to honour his Bulldogs contract which expires at the end of 2011, especially as the Broncos say they will not bid for his signature.

The Titans believe they can accommodate the local boy in 2012, but a deal for next year would be almost impossible, particularly if it involved a player swap as has been suggested by Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg.

"It is a challenge to come up with a solution to satisfy the Bulldogs and Ben," Searle said.

"We will make a swift decision because we don't want our players in limbo about what is likely to happen, and I'm sure Ben and his family would not want this to drag on, and neither would the Bulldogs especially as they are struggling.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

* Test prop: 'Homesick' Hannant may quit Dogs

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I'm not interested in trading any of our players. I'm not into meat trading.

"I have a lot of difficulty with the trading thing because these are people's lives we're talking about.

"The only way we would was if a player came to us and said he wanted to go. But I know our players are happy here.

"Chris Walker almost stayed last year even though he was offered three times as much to play in France.

"We recently extended (prop) Luke Bailey's deal and we are well down the path of finalising new deals for (second-rower) Mark Minichiello and (utility) Luke O'Dwyer."

Searle said he would travel to Sydney on Friday to meet Greenberg and Hannant's manager, but he was struggling to see how things could play out according to Hannant's wishes.

Hannant, a former Palm Beach-Currumbin student, contacted Searle in February to say he was homesick and approached Canterbury looking for a release.

Searle said the Hannant situation was different to the one involving Melbourne winger Steve Turner in 2007 because that involved a breach of contract.

In the end the Titans accepted two lesser known players as part of the compensation deal.

The Broncos have left the door open for veteran prop Petero Civoniceva to return next season after his current deal with Penrith expires.

The Titans play Canberra at Skilled Park on Saturday night with Raiders prop David Shillington coming home to Queensland $500 lighter in the pocket and without a driver's licence after his conviction for drink-driving.

Burleigh Bears forward Brad Baldry faces a five-match ban on a dangerous throw charge arising from last Saturday's game against Souths.

Hooker Scott Smith was involved in the same tackle and faces a one-match ban.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/titans-rule-out-hannant-bid/story-e6frep66-1225844483044

It'll be interesting to see where the Bulldogs go from here. I guess it'll come down to how much they want to keep the 'family club' image they have been trying to build.

TITAN PETE
24-03-10, 12:21 PM
Let him watch this seasons NRL G.F from his lounge room while the Titans smash the opposition & bring home the Trophy:fist:

The rest of his options can sort themselves out in due course !!

DIEHARD
26-03-10, 04:37 PM
Do not do Hannant deal, warns Prince

Gold Coast Titans captain Scott Prince says the club must kill off speculation of a deal with the Bulldogs to secure representative prop Ben Hannant before it creates disharmony among players.

Origin and Test prop Hannant has asked the Bulldogs for a release from his three-year contract so he and his young family can return home to the Gold Coast.

There's been speculation of a trade deal being done between the two NRL clubs to facilitate the move.

But Prince warned in his weekly Gold Coast newspaper column on Friday the club didn't need the disruption of players fearing they may be the ones to go.

"Ben Hannant. Not here, not now," wrote Prince.

"There's even talk of a deal to make it happen this season.

"Forget it."

Prince warned if the speculation was allowed to continue, players would begin looking around at each other.

"That's when the questions start - 'Am I the one who will be asked to go'," said Prince.

"So instead of a united team focused on one goal, there's a distraction.

"I don't care if it is the best player in the world who is knocking on our door, the flow-on effects in this situation don't make it worthwhile.

"I can understand deals being done during the off-season or end-of-season - even mid-season - but this started after one game."

Titans chief executive Michael Searle is understood to be holding talks with Hannant, one of 11 children whose wife also has a large family on the Gold Coast.

He is currently in the second year of his three year deal but says his family and their happiness comes first.

Prince, who is also a young family man, said he understood Hannant's situation.

"Hannant is a family man and family comes first but the time to do this was during the off-season," he wrote.

"To do really well in this tough comp means total focus and camaraderie, this adversely affects both."

Prince said what was worrying was the talk and speculation about who the Titans may have to offload to the Bulldogs to secure Hannant.

"This is a problem facing Hannant and the 'Dogs, not us," said the skipper.

"He is the one saying he wants to come home and be released early. Don't make it our problem.

"I understand exactly where he is coming from. I did my time in Sydney away from home.

"I know what it is like to be homesick and have a partner who is homesick.

(But)... as I said: 'Benny, we would love to have you here (but) come and see us for a coffee mid-October'."

http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
26-03-10, 04:38 PM
Hard to argue with our captains logic there.

quinn loves titans
26-03-10, 04:49 PM
definetely true but if you watch titans tv mini has no indication the deal will go on joking about leaving so yeah ben hannant isnt homesick hes money sick

daveyk
26-03-10, 07:37 PM
John Cartwright, Scott Prince not keen on Ben Hannant's proposed move north

By Wayne Heming and Steve Jancetic
March 26, 2010 .

Ben Hannant's proposed move to Gold Coast next season is meeting with some unexpected resistance from Titans coach John Cartwright.

Just hours after Titans captain Scott Prince warned the club to kill off the Hannant talk, Cartwright dismissed speculation of a player trade arrangement with the Bulldogs to allow a homesick Hannant to break his three-year contract and return to the Gold Coast.

Cartwright said talk of a trade for Hannant this year or in 2011 was "way off.''

"That's typical of blowing something out of proportion,'' he said.

"If Ben does a deal with us next year, that's next year.

"Player swaps and all that sort of rubbish are not going to happen.''

Prince vented his feelings about the idea in his newspaper column on Friday, fearing players would be left to wonder if they may be the ones to make way for the Origin and Test front-rower.

"Ben Hannant. Not here, not now,'' Prince wrote.

"There is even talk of a deal to make it happen this season. Forget it.

"There is not one player in this squad that I would swap. They're all there for a reason. They have all earned their place.

"The talk so far is about Hannant coming in a swap involving a couple of players. Even if that was to happen at the end of this season, the butterfly effect starts now.''

The Bulldogs, who are sympathetic to Hannant's reasons for wanting to return home to be with his family, have made it clear they also want to be well compensated for releasing him from his contract.

"The club can't be left in a worse position even allowing for Ben's homesickness and issues with his family and he's aware of that,'' Greenberg said.

"I'm happy to invest some time into it to see if we can find a solution, but ultimately, if we can't, Ben's aware he's got a contract he'll potentially be having this discussion for 2012, not 2011.

Greenberg said the Bulldogs would not necessarily chase a like-for-like replacement, adding that situations involving player swaps were complex.

"As (Titans chief executive) Michael Searle said this week, and I agree with him, we're not in the business of just making players go to clubs that they don't want to be at, so there would need to be a situation where one of those players wanted to play in Sydney, and if that was the case, well let's have a discussion,'' Greenberg said.

Greenberg added that Hannant was aware the Bulldogs needed to protect their interests and that he may yet have to serve out the last two years of his contract at the Sydney club.

:He understands that my first and foremost issue here is to stand up for the interests of the club, whilst also being respectful of his situation. He knows the situation.

"Ben understands that we're doing this in good faith.''

AAP

http://http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26903457-5018866,00.html

titansrawesome
26-03-10, 08:20 PM
yeahh i knew it, what kind of message would that be to the rest of the team if they were made to be traded to another club and city for another player?

mb63
27-03-10, 11:49 AM
Hard to argue with our captains logic there.

Agree,Prince is spot on with his comments

Sydney Titans Fanatic
28-03-10, 11:06 PM
Bailey may make way for Bear
JOSH RAKIC
March 28, 2010

REPRESENTATIVE prop Luke Bailey could be the player to make way for Bulldogs star Ben Hannant, who has publicly declared his intention to cut short his three-year deal with Canterbury and return to his family home on the Gold Coast.

While Titans captain Scott Prince warned the club against signing Hannant at the expense of an already contracted player, the Herald understands former Titans co-captain Bailey is once again considering a move to the English Super League after first mooting the idea 12 months ago.

Bailey has an option to remain at the club in 2011 but it is believed both he and the club are willing to cut ties at the end of this season.

The 30-year-old foundation signing is on a contract believed to be worth $350,000 - $30,000 more than Hannant's deal with the Bulldogs - meaning the Gold Coast club could easily accommodate the Queensland and Australian representative.

Hannant - nicknamed Polar Bear - has made no secret of his desire to increase his earnings and return to his family farm with his young family.

Bailey's manager, Allan Gainey, denied his client would soon be packing his bags but admitted that Bailey was interested in playing overseas, and had fielded inquiries in the past.

''He's got a contract until 2011 and he won't be going anywhere,'' Gainey said. ''He has an option for next year and the Gold Coast took it up at the end of November. Even if Luke wanted to go, the Gold Coast wouldn't let him. He plans to go over there when his contract is finished. I think those rumours might be coming out of the Canterbury camp.''

Meanwhile, reports that Penrith recruit Daine Laurie is out of favour with that club are well off the mark, according to his manager and Panthers coach Matt Elliott.

Laurie is yet to play a game for Penrith after breaking his finger at training but is due to make his debut for the mountain men in two weeks.

His manager, Chris Haddad, said he had fielded calls from several clubs seeking the prop's services since the rumour started several weeks ago, but Laurie did not intend to leave the club he joined just six months ago.

TITAN PETE
28-03-10, 11:27 PM
Total Crap

Bull has no intention of going anywhere & is p#ssed off he's being mentioned in retirement & transfer deals ........

Sydney Titans Fanatic
28-03-10, 11:28 PM
yer its all just crap talk coming from the bulldogs camp cant wait for titans vs bulldogs

AmericanTitan
29-03-10, 04:11 AM
when in doubt I'll defer to Princey and Cartwright!

Hannant may be talented, but if it will hurt the team overall then we don't want him.

Time to move on. We'll see the Bulldogs soon enough!

GCT_07
29-03-10, 07:33 AM
WOW.... that is so unlike the media to invent 'reality' to sell a paper.........I am in total shock that they would try and direct what we think:doh:

DIEHARD
30-03-10, 06:14 AM
Ben denies move north about cash

BEN Hannant has hit out at claims that his desire to return to the Gold Coast is more about money than making his family happy.

The Test and Queensland State of Origin star is bewildered by reports that he is demanding a deal of around $500,000 a year to join the Broncos or Titans in 2011.

Hannant says those claiming he is money hungry are way off the mark even though he admits salary cap constraints may scuttle the plan to return to the Gold Coast.

"It's upsetting when people come out and speculate on things like that and about money," said Hannant.

"People who know me, who are closest to me, know the reasons. I've come out and been honest and up front, and my family and my teammates and the club's been fully supportive."

Despite his desire to head home with wife Emily and their children, Hannant has not exactly been welcomed with open arms by clubs north of the border.

Brisbane Broncos boss Bruno Cullen claims the club will not make a play for his services and Titans captain Scott Prince used his column in the Gold Coast Bulletin to urge management not to entertain any idea of a player swap.

The frosty reception does not bother Hannant.

"Mate, I totally understand. Princey's totally entitled to his opinion," said Hannant."He's the captain of that side and he runs that side, so I respect him."

Hannant will let his manager George Mimis sort out his future with the Dogs and Titans, saying 'the clubs aren't going to pay over' what they think you are worth.

He says his job is to show his teammates and fans at the Bulldogs that he's committed to the club for 2010 and believes he proved that in the big win against the Roosters.

"Oh definitely. You want to prove that and how committed you are to the team," said Hannant.

"You know after the stuff that's going on I'm sure there's people who would have been doubting it but you know I love this team," he said.

"I love my teammates and the club and the fans.

"It was great to go out there and you know put it out there.

"The good thing is I've got a manager now which has taken the pressure right off me. I don't have to worry about it at all.

"For me I'm here to the end of the year and for a footy player if you look any further than a year away you are going to have problems. So I'm just focussing week to week to make sure I play consistent."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

daveyk
30-03-10, 04:47 PM
i heard on the radio today that the titans have now pulled out on securing benny....

karnage
30-03-10, 06:28 PM
Maybe we can just sign him up on a deal where we pay him about $100k a season but build him a couple of nice houses on the side...:D