PDA

View Full Version : Sean O' Loughlin is on the Christmas Wish List for Titans *Breaking News*

Titanium_BD1103
08-12-05, 06:40 PM
From Foxsports.com.au

Titans hopeful of British signing
December 8, 2005

THE Christmas shopping list at budding NRL club the Gold Coast Titans just got longer.

Titans managing director Michael Searle and head coach John Cartwright have returned from a 12-day visit of the UK hopeful of pulling off a signing coup that would fill them with ample festive cheer ? Great Britain utility Sean O'Loughlin.

The Wigan backrower was one of seven players approached by the Titans contingent during the recent whirlwind UK trip as they count down to their 2007 NRL arrival.

Searle said O'Loughlin and "another player" were offered deals but would not know their final answer until after Christmas.

Bradford prop Stuart Fielden also spoke with the Titans but he is considered a "long term" prospect as he does not come off contract until 2008.

"We're happy because we've come back with player lists from most of the clubs," Cartwright said.

"We were able to look at a few players and bring back some DVDs so that we can do our homework before making a move."

The Titans duo also used the trip as a fact-finding mission, visiting English Super League clubs Wigan, St Helens, Leeds and Les Catalans "checking out systems, facilities and players".

Cartwright said he focussed on training facilities while Searle looked at the "commercial side" of each club.

Advertisement:
Cartwright said Leeds had the best facilities.

"They were so well run and very modern. I certainly felt they were the best we saw and it's something the Titans can aspire towards," he said.

Cartwright also picked the brain of Les Catalans and former Dragons and British coach David Waite.

New French club Les Catalans join the Super League in 2006.

"Spending time with David Waite was sensational because he has been over here for five years setting up everything," Cartwright said.

"We were able to learn a lot from him about setting up our own club."

The Titans are also hoping to purchase a Surfers Paradise bar to be used as a club home base before their major licensed club is built near Robina by 2008.

Meanwhile, former Test backrower Bryan Fletcher has arrived at new club Wigan for pre-season training.

The ex-NSW Origin forward admitted he nearly joined Wigan earlier this year after the injury to forward Luke Davico ? but his NRL club South Sydney refused the move.

"Wigan came in for me right back at the start of the year after Luke Davico had been injured," Fletcher told the Wigan website.

"(Wigan boss) Maurice Lindsay contacted my agent and to be honest I fancied the move there and then ? but Souths didn't come to the party.

"To be fair to them though, I had a year left on my contract so I stayed on to see it out."

AAP

Titanium_BD1103
08-12-05, 06:42 PM
This is really cool... I hope to get O'Loughlin, from the little I have seen of him he looks like a really good player.. and as for Fielden.. imagine if he joined in 2008... things keep looking brighter and brighter for this club and that can only be a good thing.. :D :D

League Freak
08-12-05, 06:51 PM
Not a fan of O'Loughlin.

Titanium_BD1103
08-12-05, 06:57 PM
Fair enough but you still have to agree to get a player of his caliber to the Titans would be a great effort indeed, and Fielden would be doubly impressive.. I reckon this club is going to show other clubs how it is done in the future if they keep this up.. :D :D

The Original Idiot
08-12-05, 08:43 PM
He's better than most utilities out there at the moment. The more high-calibre players coming to the coast, the better.

League Freak
08-12-05, 10:07 PM
I think you'd find far better players in the Queensland Cup.

Dakink
09-12-05, 09:01 AM
Give me some names LF.... I havent followed the QLD cup too closely so any help would be good.

DeeGan
09-12-05, 12:34 PM
I have to laugh - quite a few of the Wigan Warriors faithful are "dirty" at the Gold Coast for approaching Sean O'Loughlin :satan: They tend to forget Maurice Lindsay has made a career out of poaching the best talent available from the NRL and Super League for many, many years yet that is forgotten now the club is loosing touch with Bradford, Leeds and to an extent Hull FC.

For those not familiar with O'Loughlin:

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/imagelibrary/oloughlin_hs_170.jpg

Height: 187 cm
Weight: 91 kg

A serious knee ligament injury ruled Sean out of the majority of the Warriors season. A huge blow to the player and the club and after nearly a year on the sidelines with a good pre-season behind him will be looking forward to the challenge this year. Has been given squad number 13 for Super League XI, which was previously worn by Andrew Farrell.

Is a good creator in the middle of the park with a good pair of hands, a young player with a very bright future in the game. Has represented GB in the 2004 Tri-Nations as well as captaining England A in the European Nations Tournament in 2003 which England won.

2004 Statistics
Played - 36
Tries - 10
Points - 40

Superleague Record 2002-2004
Appearances - 63 (18)
Tries - 16
Points - 64

Cheers

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
09-12-05, 03:37 PM
I think you'd find far better players in the Queensland Cup.
I'm with Dakink. Care to give us an example, Bender?

League Freak
09-12-05, 04:57 PM
How about anyone.

I dont want to run the guy down on the teams official message board, but if I was a Titans fan I wouldnt be very happy about this move. He'll make Keith Mason look like a world beater.

Dakink
09-12-05, 05:31 PM
I think I'd be happy taking apunt on a young fella with his profile.

wigan fan no1
18-12-05, 07:45 AM
you can try but it will not happen , he is happy here at wigan

Titans#1
18-12-05, 07:50 AM
you can try but it will not happen , he is happy here at wigan

Has this been confirmed? :dizzy: :nope: :whatd:

Titanium_BD1103
18-12-05, 01:24 PM
No it hasn't been confirmed, nor has it been confirmed he wants to stay at Wigan.. he has had talks with Michael Searle according to the Fox Sports article and is captain of Wigan for 2006, so we will not have a chance to get him till 2008 at the earliest...

But this is for Sean to decide.. we can argue all we like but the decision lies with him in the end.. so yeah Deegan may be able to elaborate but O'Loughlin hasn't confirmed anything as far as I am aware.. :)

anti
24-01-06, 07:27 PM
Give me some names LF.... I havent followed the QLD cup too closely so any help would be good.

Maybe get along to game and you see who they are, or you can catch it on the abc saturday afternoon. Was also on fox last year, hope will be again this year.

Dakink
24-01-06, 10:21 PM
Maybe get along to game and you see who they are, or you can catch it on the abc saturday afternoon. Was also on fox last year, hope will be again this year.

bit to far to travel to get to the games...

Sat arvo I already play sport, hope fox does carry it.

brn2bwyld
25-01-06, 06:22 PM
brandon costin , a great player for bradford, huddersfierl and canberra plays in the queensland cup. He could make a bigger impact that oloughlin

anti
25-01-06, 07:53 PM
brandon costin , a great player for bradford, huddersfierl and canberra plays in the queensland cup. He could make a bigger impact that oloughlin

LOL you got to be kidding :rotflmao:

El Chino Fatman
25-01-06, 09:35 PM

I remember Brandon debuting for Canberra under all sorts of pressure - 'The Next Mel', etc, etc you can imagine. I think he also played for Wests, maybe even before Canberra. The stint at Canberra can't have gone very well for him because he seemed to fall off the face of the league world, anyone know what happened?

Kingytek
13-02-06, 05:15 PM
Aussies Gold Coast, who join the NRL in 2007, have i targeted O'Loughlin but he said: "It's flattering but as soon as a Wigan contract is on the table I'll be more than j happy to sign it."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby/tm_objectid=16691026&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=i-ll-call-faz-to-fire-me-up-name_page.html

Plently more fish in the sea!