PDA

View Full Version : Greg Alexander: Titans 2010 Season Preview

Ryan
10-03-10, 10:41 AM
2010 NRL premiership season preview with Greg Alexander: Gold Coast
By Belinda Cotter
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26776027-5018866,00.html
March 10, 2010

Foxsports.com.au and Greg Alexander bring you all you need to know about Gold Coast Titans, Brandy's tip to finish third in the 2010 NRL premiership season.

New faces: Joseph Tomane (Storm); Riley Brown (Roosters); Marshall Chalk (Crusaders); Greg Bird (Catalans Dragons); Clinton Toopi (Leeds)

Shown the door: Daniel Conn (Roosters); Brett Delaney (Leeds); Chris Walker (Bradford); Brenton Bowen (Northern Pride); Siosaia Vave (Sharks)

Last year: 2009, the year the Titans made their first finals series but forced fans to watch their season wash away in the blink of an eye. After a consistent season saw them finish the season a credible third, it all came unstuck during the finals when they suffered consecutive defeats to bow out for the year with not much to show for it. The losses came despite a strong finish to the season, where they won 10 of their last 14 regular-season matches.

Room for improvement: After going through finals heartache last year, the Titans need to learn how to improve their consistency when it matters most in 2010. They finished the regular season with a poor loss to Manly, followed up with a near miss against Brisbane Broncos in week one of the finals to finally be outpaced by Parramatta a week later. They?ll also need to work on their away form; they made improvement in 2009 compared with earlier seasons, but it wasn?t premiership-winning material with eight away losses in total.

Game breaker: The finesse that Scott Prince provides the Titans is undeniable. Only missing two games in 2009, his presence was a major factor towards the consistency the side enjoyed throughout the season. More often than not, he holds the key to his team's success; just look back to 2008, when he missed eight matches and Gold Coast lost six of them. Last season?s statistics saw him finish with figures of 24 try assists and 27 line-break assists. The good news for fans is he signed a new contract last year that will effectively see him a Titans player for life.

Rising star: He arrived on the scene with a bang in 2009, and David Mead finished the year with eight tries from just 14 games. The flying winger?s impact during this short time saw him establish himself as a first-grade regular by year's end. In 2010, the 21-year-old from Papua New Guinea will be looking to cement himself in the right wing position, with his super pace sure to be a major feature of the Titans game plan.

Last chance: Greg Bird is heading to Gold Coast Titans looking to redeem himself in the NRL after rejecting a massive offer to stay with French-based Super League club Les Catalans. After being dumped by the Sharks following his much publicised off-field drama, he says the move north will help him focus on his footy. "I?m looking forward to my time on the Gold Coast. I?m out of Sydney and I?m away from everything that happened down there." If all goes to plan, his strength and presence in the five-eighth position should deliver Gold Coast some much needed grunt.

Coach factor: John Cartwright is a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. In 2010, he is confident his side will have the added edge to go all the way this season and has built up a stable side around him. But he?ll need to learn to keep his cool in 2010, after ending the season with a $10,000 fine for approaching the officials in the tunnel at half-time during the fianls match against the Broncos.

Key stat: For the Titans to become premiership contenders, they need to improve their discipline. In 2009, they were 14th in the NRL for penalties conceded (6.7 per game). In 2008, they were 13th (7.2 per game). And in 2007, they were 10th (6.8 per game).

Greg Alexander says: "The key to the Titans is the signing of Greg Bird. The Titans were good last year, but I think Bird adds a real bit of class to an already strong side that broke into semi-finals football last season."

The Adjudicator says: "The NRL should have exercised some autonomy and ordered the Titans to surrender their top-four spot in 2009 to a team capable of challenging for the title. It seems only fair. Either that or the minor premiers should play the Titans in what would pretty much be a first-round bye in the finals. C'mon David Gallop, give us something to stop this team meandering into another play-offs, where they will be fodder for a genuine contender."

Fantasy banker/darkhorse: While Anthony Laffranchi (7.5) doesn?t start this season as the most hyped Fantasy prospect like he did in 2009, he is still the Titans' most reliable work horse, worth almost as many points as Scott Prince last year but at a fraction of the cost. Joseph Tomane (5.5) burst onto the scene with Melbourne Storm in 2009 and then promptly signed with the Titans. Many would have forgotten about this youngster who averaged almost a try a match last season.

Gold Coast TitansNickname: The Titans
Coach: Tim Sheens
Co-Captains: John Cartwright :laugh:
Home ground: Skilled Park
2009 membership: 6205
NRL Premierships: 0
Most recent: NA
2009 finish: 3rd
2010 prediction: 3rd
2010 squad: Jordan Atkins; Luke Bailey; Selasi Berdie; Preston Campbell; Aaron Cannings; Nathan Friend; Josh Graham; Ashley Harrison; Michael Henderson; Anthony Laffranchi; Will Matthews; David Mead; Brad Meyers; Mark Minichiello; Luke O'Dwyer; Scott Prince; Mat Rogers; Sam Tagataese; Esikeli Tonga; Shannon Walker; Matthew White; William Zillman

DIEHARD
10-03-10, 01:16 PM
Nothing Earth shattering here. I dont mind the predicted 3rd finish though, just as long as that means ladder position! Because we are going for a Premiership.

Adjudicator is full of it.

I'm glad Carty is our coach and not Tim Sheens!

Ryan
11-03-10, 01:35 PM
Yeh, pretty fair overview. Adjudicator is funny, you must admit he does come up with some good stuff....

1st: Storm.....
2nd: 'Last year a great motivator for the Dragons'
3rd: 'Bird adds class to an already strong Titans side'
4th: 'Panthers have best squad since 2003 premiership'
5th: 'Confidence from 2009 is a huge plus for Eels'
6th: 'Bulldogs have plenty of strike weapons out wide'
7th: 'Souths have the forward pack to lay a platform'
8th: 'Sea Eagles have lost depth but still have class'
9th: 'It will all rest on Farah and Marshall for the Tigers'
10th: 'Knights have a balanced squad across their list'
11th: 'Cowboys season sits on the back of Thurston'
12th: 'Broncos will miss finals for first time in 19 years'
13th: 'The Roosters will improve with their signings'
14th: 'The Raiders have got to learn how to travel'
15th: 'The Sharks don't have enough go-to men'
16th: 'The Warriors are in for a tough season'

His top 8 is pretty close to what I have, but his bias towards the Panthers is abit much :laugh:
Panthers to 4th? - I can't see any team getting that high without a decent established halves combination, who are their halves again anyway??

titansrawesome
11-03-10, 02:39 PM
i have sent emails to adjudicator last year when we vsed the raiders in canberra, of course he didnt believe we would win(which we didnt), everyone thinks our forwards are a bit soft, i have to agree that our props are our weak point.

DIEHARD
11-03-10, 03:02 PM
I think he just does it to get a rise out of us LOL.

Well he wrapped us in an article I read last night, so all good.

In the Courier today, 60% of people reckon the Warriors will beat the Titans. But they interviewed a heap of sporting personalities, including the great Tonie Currie and the majority picked Titans to be the #1 Queensland team.

karnage
11-03-10, 05:14 PM
I love what the adjudicator wrote.

I can't stand reading all the stuff that these so called 'experts' are saying about how well the Titans will go this year.

I would much prefer to see us criticised by the media as it can help with a bit of siege mentality. Last year all anybody with a keyboard wanted to write about the Titans was that we were good but we will fade out in the race to the finals.

Now everyone is tipping us to be there for sure.

The adjudicator is spot on. We were weak in the FInals and need to step up a million gears to be any sort of chance when the whips are cracking. As fans we are expected to be optimistic but I would prefer more of what the adjudicator wrote out there in the media so we can be below the radar a bit more.

titansrawesome
11-03-10, 05:20 PM
i agree, i hate people getting on th bandwagon after they say we are soft new boys and we will never win the comp