PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Knights call off the bid to lure Sonny Bill Williams

Ryan
05-03-10, 03:03 PM
Newcastle Knights call off the bid to lure Sonny Bill Williams back to NRL
By Brent Read
March 05, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26807856-5018866,00.html

The Newcastle Knights' audacious attempt to sign Sonny Bill Williams and bring him back to NRL has failed after financial negotiations broke down.
However, Canterbury-Bankstown have opened the door for Williams to return to the NRL this season - on the proviso they receive financial compensation for releasing their grip on a one-time favourite son.

It represents a significant shift in approach from the Bulldogs. Under the terms of his acrimonious release from the club two years ago, Williams -- off contract with French rugby union side Toulon in May -- is forbidden from playing with any other NRL side until 2013.

The Bulldogs had previously suggested they would not entertain releasing Williams from that clause. Last night, however, chief executive Todd Greenberg -- who has received an informal approach from the Warriors over Williams -- suggested that stance could be altered if money changed hands.

"We're open for a discussion," Greenberg said. "We wouldn't consider waiving it without a dollar amount being factored into it."

Williams is expected to return to the southern hemisphere when his deal with Toulon ends and has been strongly linked with rugby union in New Zealand, although NRL clubs are also monitoring the situation.

The embattled Knights were among them.

After being stripped of Chris Houston and Danny Wicks, both of whom resigned after being charged with supplying drugs, the club approached the NRL this week to discuss Williams's situation.

"Newcastle contacted me during the week and I advised them that it was a term of Sonny's settlement with the Bulldogs that if he sought a return to the NRL, he could not play for any other NRL club before 2013," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

Given Newcastle's tenuous financial position, it could not afford to pay the Bulldogs compensation.

Few NRL clubs could. The privately owned Warriors, financed by New Zealand businessman Eric Watson, are the exception.

While Newcastle has accepted defeat in the pursuit of Williams, the club has also been linked with an attempt to bring former captain Danny Buderus, now playing with Leeds in England, back to the club.

However, Knights sources suggested last night that was unlikely to happen.

Despite the difficulties in finding replacements for Houston and Wicks, chairman Robert Tew put on a defiant front before supporters and sponsors last night.

Tew insisted the Knights would not alter their goals for this season despite the drug scandal that has enveloped the club. He also used the Knights' season launch to stress it would not use the loss of Houston and Wicks as an excuse for a sub-par year.

"Our expectations for 2010 are undiminished," Tew said.

"If you're talking about logistical terms, we're down two players. In respect to the size and scale of our club we will remain undiminished in this -- we have a season to complete, we want to be competitive in this season, our expectation is we will improve on 2009."

That could hinge on whether more players are trapped by police. "It's an ongoing concern and it's been an ongoing concern since December," Tew said.

"The right approach is to maintain an open mind as to what might come, to deal with it appropriately if and when it does come.

"The other side of that is we have been given no indication there is any more to come.

"The overwhelming sentiment is we have to be diligent and prepared."

DIEHARD
05-03-10, 03:12 PM
Im torn on this. On a player basis Id love to see him back. But what he did to the Bulldogs and Rugby League leads me to think... forget about it.

We have seen many more new stars emerge in his absence.

Knights do need to plug the gap in their team and this story was probably a welcome deversion from the current crisis.

Surely he would want a ridiculous amount of money to return to the NRL, even if he did want to.

Coaster
05-03-10, 05:30 PM
I went and ordered a Newcastle Happy meal from Maccas today

No burger, just coke and ice

titansrawesome
05-03-10, 11:47 PM
i wanted him back especially for the kiwis, i hate that rugby league stars fail miserably in the other rugby code