PDA

View Full Version : Round 2: South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
03-03-10, 01:51 PM
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
03-03-10, 01:55 PM
Prince warns Sandow 'stay on your toes'

GOLD Coast Titans halfback Scott man of the moment Chris Sandow to learn a few new tricks if he wants to be the spark behind the giant Rabbitohs pack.

The experienced Prince said rival clubs had been doing their homework on Sandow after his debut NRL season in 2009 and he could expect a torrid time when the premiership gets under way.

He said Sandow's chip and chase was his main weapon, but believed rival clubs were awake to it.

Souths play bitter rivals Sydney Roosters in round 1 on Sunday, a week before meeting the Titans in Sydney on Friday, March 19.

Queensland Emerging Squad coaching director Wayne Bennett said in January he believed Sandow was up to State of Origin football.

Last week former Broncos premiership halfback Allan Langer tipped Sandow to lead the Rabbitohs to the NRL finals.

And at the weekend, former Queensland assistant coach Neil Henry said he believed Sandow also was on the verge of representative honours.

But Prince said Sandow would have to work hard on his game.

"Chris has a few tricks in his bag, but you can see them coming," Prince said.

"Everyone is starting to read his game. It's always the second year, third year.

"I'm still learning the game myself and you've got to work and change your game slightly every year because of the technology these days.

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
15-03-10, 01:10 PM
Here we go, Round 2's match thread.

If you are travelling down or live in NSW, please come cheer on the Titans in the away supporter bay. http://www.ticketek.com.au

DIEHARD
15-03-10, 07:07 PM
Pettybourne might have a fractured jaw.

titansrawesome
15-03-10, 08:24 PM
rabbitohs suck ass against roosters, they will be no match to the mighty titans.

Boofhead
15-03-10, 09:15 PM
Don't think we will be seeing any dramatical reshuffles just yet (Bird - Lock) although if things don't start clicking I can see it happening round 4-5.

Don't like the short turn around after a Sunday scorcher against a big Rabbitohs forward pack, i'm thinking this will be a very close one.

Titans 1-12

TITAN PETE
15-03-10, 09:22 PM
Pettybourne might have a fractured jaw.

That will be a bigger loss for the Bunnies than some may think , i rate his as their most dangerous player :doh: , i'd be happy if it's just bruised & he's only out for a week ;)

matti
15-03-10, 10:02 PM
I will be there with my partner and kid she already has her titans outfit ready to go! http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2030/17538226611977857524532.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/17538226611977857524532.jpg/)

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1521/17833329538492802641667.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/17833329538492802641667.jpg/)

amaline
16-03-10, 06:36 AM
Preston rested for Rabbitohs
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26854649-5018866,00.html

NRL Premiership
Gold Coast Titans' Preston Campbell to be rested against South Sydney

By Karl deKroo
March 16, 2010

Preston Campbell will be rested from Friday's battle with South Sydney as Gold Coast Titans are set to reward Will Zillman for his Queensland Cup effort with a top-flight recall.

While Campbell's condition had improved significantly after suffering a heavy concussion in the Titans' round-one win over the Warriors, the club's medical staff won't risk the pint-sized custodian given his history of head knocks.

The Titans are also keen to reward Zillman, who took his first-round omission from the top grade on the chin and starred in difficult conditions playing state league for Ipswich against Easts Tigers.

Zillman collected 16 of 17 votes for the Jets players' player after a classy two-try display.

Prop Matt White will be named, but is anything but certain to play after he was a late scratching from the Warriors match with a virus. White has been battling with the complaint since the Titans' final trial match in Darwin and has been sent for more tests.

The club is hopeful the powerhouse forward will recover in time to tackle a Rabbitohs pack which talked big in pre-season but was cut back to size in Sunday's heavy loss to the Roosters.

"Their supporters won't let them forget that in a hurry," Titans coach John Cartwright said of the Rabbitohs.

"I heard a bit of talkback radio and there were some irate supporters. I dare say they will be a different side this week. They talked it up as the best forward pack, they probably regret saying that."

DIEHARD
16-03-10, 01:57 PM
Gold Coast Titans: Preston Campbell, David Mead, Mat Rogers, Joseph Tomane, Kevin Gordon, Greg Bird, Scott Prince (c), Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison.

Interchange from: Matthew White, Sam Tagataese, Will Matthews, Riley Brown, Bodene Thompson, William Zillman.

DIEHARD
16-03-10, 03:32 PM
Titans name extended squad for Rabbitohs
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has named an extended 18-man squad for Friday night’s Round 2 clash against Souths at ANZ Stadium.

Jetstar Titans prop Matt White has been added to an extended five-man bench after missing last Sunday’s 24-18 season-opening win against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park.

Livewire fullback Preston Campbell has been named to play despite sustaining a head knock following his match-winning heroics against the Warriors.

The full 18-man Jetstar Titans squad along with the Titans’ National Youth Competition (NYC) team to take on the Rabbitohs in the curtain raiser is listed below.

Titans v Rabbitohs
Friday, March 19
ANZ Stadium

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Mat Rogers
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Sam Tagataese
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Riley Brown
18 Will Matthews
Coach John Cartwright

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
16-03-10, 06:19 PM
RABBITOHS TEAM FOR ROUND 2 MATCH WITH THE TITANS THIS FRIDAY

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are pleased to announce their team to take on the Gold Coast Titans in round two this Friday 19 March at ANZ Stadium.

Rabbitohs Head Coach John Lang has been forced to make changes to his team line up from round one because of injury. Ben Lowe comes into the starting line up at lock, pushing Sam Burgess into the second row for the injured Eddy Pettybourne, who suffered a broken jaw last Sunday against the Roosters. Pettybourne is expected to be sidelined for two months. Dave Tyrrell will come on to the interchange bench. Junior Vaivai will come into the centres to replace Colin Best who has a rib injury which will keep him out of this Friday's match.

The NRL game will kick off at 8:35pm with the Toyota Cup match scheduled to commence at 6:20pm. Gates will open at 6:15pm.

The referees for the NRL fixture will be Ashley Klein and Tony De Las Heras.

The Rabbitohs' NRL team is:

1 Rhys Wesser
2 Nathan Merritt
3 Junior Vaivai
4 Beau Champion
5 Fetuli Talanoa
6 John Sutton
7 Chris Sandow
8 Luke Stuart
9 Issac Luke
10 Roy Asotasi [c]
11 Sam Burgess
12 David Taylor
13 Ben Lowe

14 Scott Geddes
15 Shannan McPherson
16 Dave Tyrrell
17 Jason Clark

Coach - John Lang

Source: http://www.souths.com.au

Ryan
16-03-10, 06:30 PM
I thought Zillman would have at least been on the extended bench to cover for Presto?

I hope Bird, Taga and Tomane get aggro' with these poser's and do some damage.....

Felicity
16-03-10, 06:37 PM
Zilly must be getting frustrated, I hope he doesnt end up leaving :( .

Burgess scares me :ugh:

patskE
16-03-10, 06:40 PM
didnt u read the 2 post b4 the last one?
says zillman is on extended bench
and that carty is going to rest presto...

DIEHARD
16-03-10, 06:42 PM
Zilly must be getting frustrated, I hope he doesnt end up leaving :(

I hope not. I am a big fan of Zillman and let's face it, truth is many other clubs would kill to have someone like Zillman on their books and in their starting 13.

But I think there is a definite future for William at the Titans. And there is a strong chance he will get an opportunity as soon as this Friday night.

Adelaide Titan
16-03-10, 06:52 PM
i think the titans will get over the line. Bunnies will be desperate to rebound from last weeks heavy loss but i think the titans are good enough to hold them off and take the points home.

DIEHARD
16-03-10, 07:04 PM
The Bunnies will also have a big showing of home support.

kwigibo
16-03-10, 07:39 PM
The bunnies faithful will have a bit to say if Zillman does play, wasn't his last game there?

Sydney Titans Fanatic
16-03-10, 07:51 PM
Yer zillman played at anz stadium last time we took on the bunnies at anz stadium...thats when he bit one of the rabbitohs and got suspended for a few weeks

quinn loves titans
16-03-10, 09:03 PM
i dont want to give zillman away lets face it prestons not gonna last forever and hes the next best thing

DIEHARD
16-03-10, 09:20 PM
Titans include Preston Campbell; Manly lose Brett Stewart; Dogs gain Goodwin

Gold Coast Titans have received a boost with fullback Preston Campbell cleared to play against South Sydney despite receiving a head knock in Sunday's win over the Warriors.

It was earlier reported the Titans would hand William Zillman his first start of the NRL season as the club weren't prepared to risk Campbell due to his history of head knocks.

But Titans John Cartwright chose to retain his No.1 fullback for the Rabbitohs match, also adding Matt White to an extended five-man bench after he missed last Sunday's 24-18 season-opening win against the Warriors.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/s

Sydney Titans Fanatic
16-03-10, 10:15 PM
gay rest presto and put zillman in the fullback...Rather presto be 100% for the canberra game

teke
17-03-10, 12:35 AM
If Sandow and Sutton dont play well then Titans will crush them.

I would love to see the bunnies go into round 3 at the bottom of the table.

karnage
17-03-10, 03:12 PM
I was going to say that Zillman would be 'chomping at the bit' to play against Souths after his end to last season but he has got nothing on Presto.

If Presto is out for Zillman in the Warriors game we lose - simple as that. Presto might be 73 years old but he plays like a high-schooler in the NYC.

All we can go on with Zillman is a 2-year old reputation with the very average Canberra Raiders. He has had plenty of chances to nail down a 1st grade spot with us and has never shown anything that DEMAND he be included in the team. Apparently he had a blinder playing for Ipswich, that shows great attitude, an admirable trait, but the guy he is trying to replace won Man of the Match in 1st Grade.

He will get a chance at some stage and he will have a chance to show what he is got but there is no room for him in top grade now. Only a massive form drop from an established player or injury will get him in.

karnage
17-03-10, 03:16 PM
If Sandow and Sutton dont play well then Titans will crush them.

I would love to see the bunnies go into round 3 at the bottom of the table.

Sandow is RUBBISH.

Sutton is good but inconsitent.

The Bunnies are ripe for the picking this Friday night. They too have a short turnaround and will be missing topliners Pettybourne (their best forward from Sunday) and Colin Best (their premier centre).

Diehard mentioned their fans being pumped up, well they are not like other fans. If the Rabbits start poorly the 'warren' is more likely to turn on them than pull together to cheer them out. Notoriously fickle.

If we start well we can beat them easily. if we let them get momentum early we could be in for a long night.

titanstattman
17-03-10, 04:14 PM
I think this is going to be a tough one for the hole 80 theyn are comming off a big loss nd they will hav sumthing to prove TBH i would of rather the bunnies to win than to loss than it be even easier for us....

DIEHARD
17-03-10, 04:27 PM
Luke facing status challenge at Souths

Last season under coach Jason Taylor, Luke averaged just 56 minutes a game - with the Warriors' Ian Henderson and Cronulla veteran Corey Hughes the only other established No.9s to average less time.

Statistically he's one of the top five hookers in rugby league and he believed he deserved more game time.

John Lang granted the New Zealand rake his wish and had him out on the field for the full 80 minutes against the Roosters in round one.

But playing out the whole match is a difficult conundrum for Luke to face.

In theory you don't want such a damaging player off the field at all, but Taylor's reasoning was Luke wouldn't have to hold anything back during his allocated stints.

Now Souths have their most dangerous attacking man out in the middle for the duration, but Luke must learn to pace himself effectively so the Rabbitohs are still getting the best out of him.

Increased quantity is no good unless he's still able to produce his top quality.

"It's something I wanted but it does change my game a bit," admitted Luke.

"I've got to try and preserve energy for the right times and I guess I don't run as much as I used to.

"I'm pulling up a lot sorer than I usually do ... I think I've just got to get fitter.

"If I want these minutes then I have to play like I really want them, and I've got to refine how I used to play a bit, try and reserve energy and go out and give 100 per cent every time I take the field."

Luke last year finished inside the top five for most of the statistics relevant to the game's top hookers including tries, offloads, line-breaks, line-break assists and metres - however, this year the challenge is to maintain that record while playing the long minutes of Cameron Smith, Robbie Farah, Michael Ennis, Isaac De Gois and Nathan Friend.

After suspension cruelly robbed him of playing in last year's May Test, Luke is keen to be selected for the Kiwis, however not before securing his increased minutes for the Rabbitohs.

It starts this Friday night against consistent 80-minute hooker Friend, from the Gold Coast Titans.

"I don't know, we'll find out (how effective I can be playing 80 minutes) during the season," Luke said.

"Beau Falloon is keeping me on my toes, he's my backup hooker, and he played outstanding in the Charity Shield.

"I don't think I'll get 80 for New Zealand, maybe more like 20! I still have to make the team," added Luke.

"I have to try and make this team (Souths) week in and week out and show consistency throughout the year up to when we play Anzac (May Test) and Four Nations at the end of the year."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
17-03-10, 04:29 PM
Packing a punch for Rabbitohs

AFTER three years of being typecast as undersized and understrength, the Gold Coast Titans last night hit back at their detractors, declaring their forwards had more than proved themselves and could handle any pack 'any day of the week'.

Titans hooker Nathan Friend, the man in the middle of the club's engine room, said yesterday he was over the questions which have inevitably come week in, week out about the apparent lack of size of the Gold Coast forwards.

The issue has taken centre stage again this week as the Titans prepare for Friday night's clash against one of the biggest packs in the competition in Souths, which features hulking forwards such as Dave Taylor and Sam Burgess.

Friend, who weighs just 85kg but plays to double his weight, joined coach John Cartwright in declaring the size of their pack a non-issue.

"It's all a beat-up," said Friend. "For the last three years we've been the smallest pack in the NRL, I think you guys (media) like to ramp it up a bit.

"But the Warriors were just as big as these guys (Souths). We won that game and we go into this game with confidence."

Cartwright predicted there would be more heat on the Souths pack after they failed to live up the hype in the opening round rather than his men.

"There comes a point where there's no hiding, there's a big fella in front of you and you've got to take him," said Cartwright. "I'd back our blokes any day of the week."

Cartwright said the weight of semi-final expectations on the Rabbitohs in 2010 had put them under the blow torch.

"They've bought well and they're youthful, they've also put a lot of pressure on themselves with the talk in the off-season," he said.

"Whether that's come from the media or themselves I don't really know, but on paper and on scales they are a big side."

The likes of Friend, Anthony Laffranchi and Ashley Harrison are among the sharpest players in the NRL and Cartwright said that is what set his pack apart.

"Every week is a challenge for us, we're not the biggest side in the competition (so) we've got to try and be a little bit smarter," he said.

The Titans will more than likely get some added size on the bench with Matthew White poised to return from a virus which forced him out of the season opener.

He trained strongly at Robina yesterday and is confident of playing.

"It's a middle ear-type thing, it's one that can hover around and it has done so since we went to Darwin," said Cartwright.

"Hopefully he has kicked it."

While having absolute confidence in his pack, Friend said the Titans still had the utmost respect for Souths' star English recruit Sam Burgess.

"I've only really seen him in the All Stars game (and) he looked good," said Friend.

"But there's not just one guy out there -- you've got to look at all of them."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
17-03-10, 04:51 PM
Current prices...

SOUTH SYDNEY - $1.71
GOLD COAST - $2.18

Ryan
17-03-10, 05:42 PM
Current prices...

SOUTH SYDNEY - $1.71
GOLD COAST - $2.18
Thats encouraging........ *runs off to TAB*

Titans 1-6 $6.50
Titans 7-12 $7.00
Titans 13-18 $8.00
Titans 19+ $8.50

Time to kick off my gambling season :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
17-03-10, 05:46 PM
Rabbitohs v Titans Preview
ANZ Stadium - Friday 8.35pm (AEDT)

Neither of these purported premiership contenders came out and impressed in Round 1 – but one managed to sneak home with a win, the other was sent home with its tail between its legs. If either are to be among the finals contenders come September – and in today’s game, you need to be in from the start – then this week they’ll want to be a lot stronger.

Last week, it was defence that let both down. The Titans were rusty in the first half at home to the Warriors and were caught off guard by a team ready to prove they’re in it to win it this season. But a half-time deficit of just six points was enough for them to run down the New Zealanders, who didn’t score a point in the second half.

Hooker Nathan Friend tackled himself out of his skin, making 49 by the final whistle and he may need a similar effort against a Rabbitohs attack that knows how to break the line.

Souths may have headed into their Sunday afternoon match last week believing it was in the bag before a ball had been kicked. Last year the Roosters were easy beats, but a couple of new faces, a new coach and new attitude showed they’re set to be the force they were five years ago.

Souths were exposed around the ruck, with the Roosters doing damage early in the tackle count making 43 runs from dummy-half to gain 394 metres. Indeed, Carney, Minichiello, Kenny-Dowall and Perrett gained 351 metres this way.

The threat of that may not be so great against the Titans, however, who were less reliant on dummy-half running last year and made more ground through their hard-working forward pack. But they will have watched the tapes and identified Souths’ ruck weakness.

The Titans, too, will have to be on their game defensively, as the Rabbitohs love to chance their hand and in 2009 sat second on the try-scoring table – just one behind the West Tigers – with 102. They favour the right side, where Nathan Merritt plays, with 50 scored there last year. Indeed, it was Merritt who crossed for their two tries last week and could have probably crossed two more times.

The Titans, on the other hand, were fairly evenly spread across the park last season, but scored nearly 10 tries more through the middle than anywhere else.

Statistically in 2009, not a lot separated these two teams. Gold Coast made just more than 100 more runs and kicked only once more; Souths made just three more line-breaks, offered up two more try assists and less than 20 more offloads.

But will all that matter on Friday night? Probably not. If anything was learnt from last weekend’s games, it was that the new season has sounded and last year’s form will mean little. It’s time to adapt if you’re going to be part of it.

Watch out Titans: He was a constant threat last year, and will be the same threat this year. If the Rabbitohs want something to happen, they look for Nathan Merritt.

Last year he gained the second most metres in the team behind Luke Stuart, and he was again second with 140 metres behind Sam Burgess’s best of 144 metres last Sunday.

He scored 19 tries last year and made 17 line-breaks and against the Roosters he broke the line twice for two tries, which should have been at least three, and made five tackle-breaks. If the Titans want to keep their points-conceded down, they need to contain this man.

Watch out Rabbitohs: Does it really need to be said? Scott Prince wins games and last weekend his composure was the key to the Gold Coast running down the Warriors. When the ball is in his hands, teams need to shut him down.

Last year he kicked 259 times for a staggering 7689 metres, he offered up 20 line-break assists, nearly all through passes, and racked up 23 try assists.

When the Titans needed a spark last week they turned to Prince. He received the ball 30 times in the second half, compared to 19 in the first, offering him more opportunity to put the ball on his pinpoint boot, that has kicked at nearly 80 per cent for his career.

Where it will be won: The Titans will again look to their big men like Meyers and Bailey to hit it up the middle and break through Souths’ noted weak defence, which missed 43 tackles last week. If the Rabbitohs can tighten up around the ruck and nullify those runs – and Chris Sandow appears to have been working on his tackling deficiencies, finishing last week on top of the one-on-one tackler stats with seven – they’ll go a long way to upsetting the visitors.

The History: Played 5: Titans 3, Rabbitohs 2. The Titans have a slight overall edge, but at ANZ, the Rabbitohs are on top, having won two of the three played there.

But last year Gold Coast were victorious in both their match-ups, interestingly by the same scoreline: 22-14.

Conclusion: Souths were rattled by the ‘upset’ against the Roosters last week and will want to show they aren’t just a strong team on paper. Captain Roy Asotasi said this week it was a wake-up call of sorts; they’ll be better prepared for this game, both mentally and physically.

Gold Coast probably received a wake-up call themselves, despite getting away with the two points. They’ve improved their form on the road slightly over the years, but are still considered an easier team to play when not at Skilled Park.

It’ll be a tight match and Souths are sitting as favourites at the moment. Expect lots of points, but the Rabbitohs should just edge out Gold Coast.

Match officials: Referees: Ashley Klein & Tony de Las Heras; Sideline Officials: Steve Chiddy & Gavin Morris; Video Ref: Steve Clark.

Televised: Channel 9 – Live from 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW). Fox Sports 2 – Delayed Sat 1am.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Adelaide Titan
17-03-10, 10:24 PM
these previews are so often wrong! but going in apparent underdogs wont harm us, less pressure to win. Over to you Bunnies...

mut boy
17-03-10, 11:08 PM
i dont take to much in from those odds,we should win this game but will need to be a lot better than last week

DIEHARD
17-03-10, 11:56 PM
Yea as a Queenslander I don't mind the underdog tag. All the pressure will be on the Bunnies and as Karnage says, their fans may turn on them if things run foul early.

teke
18-03-10, 02:05 AM
Sandow is RUBBISH.

I squirm everytime I hear Sandow and Origin mentioned in the same sentence. I cannot see what others believe in this fellow

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 12:49 PM
Presto ruled out of Titans' bunny hunt

GOLD Coast Titans star Preston Campbell has lost his battle to be fit for tomorrow night's NRL clash with South Sydney.

Despite showing signs of improvement throughout the week after suffering concussion against the Warriors last Sunday, a decision was made this morning to rest Campbell from the clash with the Bunnies.

Campbell, who turned in a man-of-the-match performance against New Zealand, will be replaced by William Zillman at fullback against Souths.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 12:51 PM
Lozza's NRL round two preview

South Sydney v Gold Coast Titans, ANZ Stadium, Sydney (8:35pm EDT)

I am expecting a lot from South Sydney in this match after they failed to deliver in round one. Whether they can turn it around in five days is another question. Gold Coast Titans will fancy their chances. They weren't overly impressive last week but they did still win, and I think this is a good time for them to play Souths - while the Rabbits' forward pack is still trying to gel. I don't know if Souths can play as bad as they did against Sydney Roosters but until they show me something I'm prepared to go with the team that finished third last year. The Titans have plenty of points in them and should have too much for Souths.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
18-03-10, 02:56 PM
Minichiello to play 150th game against Souths
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans backrower Mark Minichiello is set to play his 150th NRL match when he lines up against his former club, the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium tomorrow night.

After celebrating two tries and a Jetstar Titans win against the Rabbitohs the last time the two clubs met at ANZ Stadium in late 2009, Minichiello will be hoping for another strong performance against his former club.

Although the Rabbitohs' playing roster bears little resemblance to the club which he spent four years with from 2003-2006, the City Origin forward said he enjoyed the challenge against Souths.

"It's always nice to reach milestones, 150 is pretty good and quite exciting and I always look forward to playing my old club," he said.

"I've played alongside a couple of players in Luke Stuart and Scott Geddes but there's not too many left from when I was there, they've got a total new look side and are looking to improve."

Minichiello lines up in a Jetstar Titans forward pack which is prepared for a tough battle against a Rabbitohs pack which boasts the likes of highly touted Englishman Sam Burgess along with Roy Asotasi, Dave Taylor and Michael Crocker.

Souths are expected to be fired up after suffering a 36-10 opening round loss to the Sydney Roosters last weekend.

Titans v Souths
ANZ Stadium
Friday, March 19

19 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Mat Rogers
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Sam Tagataese
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Riley Brown
18 Will Matthews
Coach John Cartwright

http://www.titans.com.au

Tamwelg
18-03-10, 11:08 PM
A bummer about Presto, but I'm looking forward to seeing Zillman. He was awesome for the Jets last week. Check out the match highlights @ http://www.qrl.com.au/

DIEHARD
19-03-10, 01:46 AM
Gold Coast Titans' Greg Bird promises his best against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium

CONTROVERSIAL Gold Coast recruit Greg Bird has issued a chilling warning to South Sydney, vowing to take his frustrations out on the Rabbitohs in tomorrow night's NRL clash at ANZ Stadium.

Outlawed from the 2009 NRL following a string of off-field indiscretions, Bird endured a forgettable comeback in the Titans' 24-18 escape against the Warriors last Sunday.

The burly five-eighth committed a series of uncustomary handling errors, missed three tackles and gave up an intercept try in a howler at Skilled Stadium.

The former NSW Origin and Kangaroos player says he is still dirty with himself.

He was left so filthy with himself he refused to talk to media and even coach John Cartwright afterwards.

But, breaking his silencetoday, Bird pledged to atone against the Rabbitohs who are themselves under pressure after their 36-10 round-one flop against the Sydney Roosters.

"I'm disappointed in myself but there's no better way to get over it than to get out there and have a good game and blow it out of the water,'' Bird said.

"It was a win and come round 25 no-one will notice how you played in that game. You got the two points at the end and you build on that this week.''

Bird says his teammates will have to be wary themselves of a Bunnies backlash.

"A lot of people have been talking about them and they'll be disappointed with their first round,'' he said.

"(Sam) Burgess in particular and it's going to be a big test for our blokes in the middle.

"It's hard to say (what Souths' biggest weakness is). I can't really make a judgment on them because I haven't seen a lot of their games for a while.

"I've only seen the one game they played last week and as with us, you can't really know how a team's going on one game, they could come out this week and play a completely different style of football.

"We played them in the trial and they were strong, so we'll be expecting a strong game pretty much all over.''

One big positive for Bird has been coach Cartwright's response to his less than inspirational first game for the Titans.

Cartwright shrugged off Bird's errors, saying he was pleased with the way his new recruit's aggression and enthusiasm had rubbed off on the other players, something Bird has taken on board.

"It is a positive, I always like to think of myself as my own worst critic but I was disappointed, I thought I made a fair few errors and I'll have to make up for that this week,'' he said.

Titans forward Ashley Harrison said Bird has settled into the team well.

"Like any player coming to a new club it takes a little bit of time to get your footy 100 per cent where you want it,'' the Queensland Origin player said.

"Last week Birdy brought a lot of aggression to our team and I'm sure he's just going to get better as the weeks go on.

"It's infectious and he's great to have around the side.''

Titans match-winner Preston Campbell has pulled out of the game after being advised against flying to Sydney following a head knock last week.

William Zillman has replaced him at fullback.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-greg-bird-promises-his-best-against-south-sydney-at-anz-stadium/story-e6frfgbo-1225842488297

DIEHARD
19-03-10, 01:48 AM
Greg Bird returns to play in Sydney for Gold Coast Titans against South Sydney Rabbitohs

IT HAS been 573 days since Greg Bird last played an NRL game in Sydney - and the controversial new Titans' recruit still remains unsure of what kind of welcome he will receive back in his home- town tonight.

Bird's life was turned upside down hours after he had starred in the Sharks 20-0 romp over the Roosters in August 2008.

After a drawn-out court case, which eventually cleared him of glassing girlfriend Katie Milligan - but not before anti-Bird resentment among league fans had helped run him out of Sydney - Bird will return against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

Bird refused to talk after his lacklustre Titans' debut last Sunday, but finally broke his silence as he touched down in Sydney.

"It's been a while since I've played down here, but I'm looking forward to it," Bird said.

"I've always had it in the back of my mind - I knew what had happened legal-wise that everything would be sorted - and I'd come back and play football. It doesn't really bother me to be honest (how I'm received).

"I'm received well on the Gold Coast, I'm happy up there, and I don't expect it to be any different down here."

A smiling Bird then added: "Maybe you'll have to ask me after the game how I feel about playing back here."

Titans' coach John Cartwright expects Souths fans to get stuck into Bird, but it has nothing to do with his off-field dramas.

"He's copped flak wherever he goes, most great players in opposition sides do," Cartwright said. "He's been used to that sort of thing for a long time because of the way he plays, he gets in their faces and opposition teams don't like it."

See who's in and who's out in Friday Footy Form

Bird, who spent last season in the English Super League, said he may have been a victim of trying too hard during his NRL return in the 24-18 win over the Warriors.

"It wasn't the speed of the game, it was probably mental more than anything," said Bird, who finished with several handling errors.

"People often say you can get caught up in trying too hard, and that's probably what happened.

"I've spoken with the coach and coaching staff during the week and they've put their confidence in me to go out and relax and play my own game.

"My defence will be the same this week, I just won't try and play my hand too much with the ball. Never in my career have I had bad hands and it was frustrating me, and that frustration was compounded the more I dropped the ball."

"But that's a week finished, we got two points and it's time to move on. It's a long season to make up for it."

In a blow to Bird's Sydney home-coming and the Titans' hopes, Preston Campbell has been ruled out because of the effects of concussion he was still feeling from last weekend's match. William Zillman will now start at fullback.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-greg-bird-promises-his-best-against-south-sydney-at-anz-stadium/story-e6frfgbo-1225842488297

DIEHARD
19-03-10, 02:02 AM
Friday: Fine. Mostly sunny. Light to moderate northwest winds and afternoon seabreezes

Hoping for a dry track!

bigjim
19-03-10, 08:30 PM
With less than 2 minutes to go before the break you do not do a chip kick off your own goal line.
What the hell was he thinking?

Ryan
19-03-10, 08:34 PM
I'm gonna pretend I didn't see Kevin do that :?)

TITAN PETE
19-03-10, 08:35 PM
Flash had a brain explosion & i hope Carty kicks him in the **** for it also i hope he gives it to Rogers for a poor 1 on 1 with Champion .....

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 08:36 PM
i think kevin thought that well even if i dont regather this kick my advantage will come back for the scrum, damn the rabbitohs crowd sucks, no atmosphere or is it just me?

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 08:37 PM
rogers really looked slow in that 1v1 with champion, im starting to think rogers should just be utility, and toopi/walker/zillman/taga @ centre.

Blazertaser
19-03-10, 08:46 PM
i think kevin thought that well even if i dont regather this kick my advantage will come back for the scrum, damn the rabbitohs crowd sucks, no atmosphere or is it just me?

Well certainly no where near the atmosphere of our skilled park games. Not many people turned out to the game down at souths so its to be expected. Loving the southern legion down there, good work boys:salute:

Blazer:thumbsup:

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:01 PM
man the titans dont know how to attack in this game, just give it to Tomane and mead please.

TITAN PETE
19-03-10, 09:09 PM
Absolute Bull**** ref's Try

Blazertaser
19-03-10, 09:09 PM
That was a bloody joke! Every ref we get is just ridiculous! Friend shouldnt of been sent off, thats an absolute rort!

amaline
19-03-10, 09:10 PM
Good game, ref.:mad:

DIEHARD
19-03-10, 09:14 PM
That's bloody cruel. Come on Titans

Supergoose
19-03-10, 09:14 PM
Prince must never be allowed on the footy show again. This is the worst I've seen him play for us.

Supergoose
19-03-10, 09:17 PM
Wasn't even a penalty let alone a sin bin

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:19 PM
this crap ref, give it to TOMANE

Blazertaser
19-03-10, 09:24 PM
Were on the charge boys
Come on, so close to the end and a drop out for us
Far out its nailbiting

Blazer :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
19-03-10, 09:24 PM
Prince must never be allowed on the footy show again. This is the worst I've seen him play for us.

Spot on mate sometimes he's in the media Too Much :nope:

Blazertaser
19-03-10, 09:26 PM
Golden point
This is exciting :D

Blazertaser
19-03-10, 09:30 PM
Yeahhhh boys
Good work rogers, Field goal :)
19 - 18 titans, Ref was ridiculous yet we still won

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:32 PM
lucky break again, stupid bloody ref, im 2/2 in tipping and TOMANE is the man like i thought he would be in pre season

TITAN PETE
19-03-10, 09:33 PM
Another Terrible win :nope: .... wait till the boys gel & we deserve a win :fist:

bigjim
19-03-10, 09:34 PM
2 **** games, 4 points.
Can't wait till we get it together.
When we actually start playing well we will be unstoppable.:thumbsup:

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:35 PM
i think rogers is a slouch @ centre unfortunately, he should go back to pivot 5/8 or utility.zillman and Tomane were my performers of the day.

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:38 PM
btw who thought this game and our game last week was boring as hell?

Blazertaser
19-03-10, 09:42 PM
btw who thought this game and our game last week was boring as hell?

Wouldnt go as far to say "Boring"
But not as exciting as our usual games are
These two wins do show us thought that our team can win when we are not ready, and shows the other team in the comp that when we have gelled as a team, we are gonna be a tough force to reckon with

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:45 PM
well this game went into extra time and i wasn't screaming or getting excited, when i was watching tigers vs manly i was screaming for the tigers the whole game

Boofhead
19-03-10, 09:47 PM
Thought Friends send off was an absolute joke... Tell you what though, you should have her the screams of joying coming out of my house when we got that penalty next to the posts...

Scrappy afair, I'm just happy we got the 2 points.

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 09:48 PM
ill tell you what though, if i watched my first ever rugby league game tonight i would say these two are my least favourite teams.

Mushi
19-03-10, 10:04 PM
CAn't wait until we have a win when we are miles in front instead of me sitting on the edge of my seat. A win is a win and we get the two points but geez we do it tough some times. Glad Princey got it together in the last few minutes to get us the extra points (although that near miss gave me a heart attack!). Refs were **** as usual but atleast the whole Kevin thing went our way :P Lets hope next week back at home the boys are primed for a big win against the raiders!!!!!!! And yep no late thursday nights for Princey before a friday night game :(

Boofhead
19-03-10, 10:06 PM
well this game went into extra time and i wasn't screaming or getting excited, when i was watching tigers vs manly i was screaming for the tigers the whole game

How could you not get excited towards the end of that game? I still got heartburn from yelling so loud for that period of time.

shamus
19-03-10, 10:21 PM
I don't care how we win. That was ugly but 2 points away from home will do me.....and that sin bin at the end was the refs attempt to make things right. But he stuffed up big time, probably not realising he was leaving Souths with 12 men during extra time.....and if we (we as in Prince, but we all kicked it!) had missed that field goal with still 4 tackles left well then there would have been hell to pay..........and if he had missed then it was Prince that kicked it.....not all of us :p

amaline
19-03-10, 10:24 PM
Anyone hear who got man of the match??

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 10:27 PM
yeah i wanna know who got man of the match, wait why would i need to ask its my new man crush JOSEPH TOMANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

shamus
19-03-10, 10:27 PM
Ch 9 gave it to Tomane.....and very well deserved..I thought Bird was right up there as well.

karnage
19-03-10, 10:33 PM
MotM: Tomane

He is going to become an out and weapon that kid!!

Rogers is lucky that Tonga is fit or he would face being squeezed out of the team. He rushed in on Campion and let in the 1st try then overcommitted close to our line (ie poor read) and he led to out 2nd try. No opposition coach in the comp will have missed it so he can expect plenty of traffic in the next few weeks and will need to step up.

As a fan of Rugby League I was absolutely DISGUSTED by tonights refereeing. Klein and De La Heras should be straight back to NSW Cup - DISGRACEFUL!! Friend's 10 in the bin was a joke and Sandow's was nothing more than a square up. Awful, awful refereeing.

But I must say that I was definitely proved right in knocking Sandow - he is RUBBISH!!! And again Sutton goes MIA when the game is there to be won.

Zillman was as solid as an absolute rock and it looked like an effort that could be built upon. Campbell to bench for Brown?? Early days but we have some pretty good depth at the moment.

titansrawesome
19-03-10, 10:34 PM
bird had a better game than last week, i dare say Tomane will be our top scorer this year, also i think we need tagatese/zillman @ centre and mat rogers as utility as i have now said more times than a broken record because gordan is virtually non-existent and he is too valuable to allow that to happen.

amaline
19-03-10, 10:35 PM
Ch 9 gave it to Tomane.....and very well deserved..I thought Bird was right up there as well.

Cheers. I thought Tomane had a really good game. Bird played well too. Probably not a 5/8 game, but he had some great hits in defense and some strong runs. A lot better than last week :thumbsup:

amaline
19-03-10, 10:37 PM
He is going to become an out and weapon that kid!!

His defense at the Storm last year was one area that let him down. He has turned that around this year. He needs to get the ball a lot more.

Supergoose
19-03-10, 10:38 PM
There were a couple of occasions tonight where we were in the Rabbits 10m zone and merely went 1 out trying to barge over the line - it seemed the most inept display of attack and it is like we are aimless. Surely we should have a few plays up our sleeve to work towards instead of 5 one out plays and a useless kick.

shamus
19-03-10, 10:38 PM
Gold Coast Titans defeat South Sydney Rabbitohs in golden point
By David Beniuk
March 19, 2010 .South Sydney's miserable start to the NRL season has continued with a heart-breaking golden point extra time defeat at the hands of Gold Coast Titans at ANZ Stadium.

Titans captain Scott Prince calmly slotted an 80th minute penalty goal to level the scores at 18-18 before landing the winning field goal in the second minute of extra time to complete a see-sawing night for both sides.

Down 16-6 after 49 minutes, the Rabbitohs had mounted a revival, scoring two unanswered tries, one while Titans hooker Nathan Friend was in the sin-bin, to sneak ahead 18-16 through Issac Luke's three-from-three with the boot in front of 10,943 fans.

But as the Titans mounted a last ditch attack, Souths halfback Chris Sandow was penalised and also sin-binned in the final minute for Prince to level the scores by coolly slotting home a penalty goal.

In a rugged match often dominated by the referees' whistles, Souths took full advantage of Friend's 63rd minute sin-binning to almost get out of jail, with centre Beau Champion bagging a double for the night.

But they now start their much hyped season none from two after last week's shock 36-10 thumping at the hands of the Sydney Roosters.

The Titans have won both their opening games in come-from-behind performances after last week's 24-18 victory over the Warriors.

The Rabbitohs will have some concerns for Champion, who was placed on report for a lifting tackle on Titans five-eighth Greg Bird, who was playing his first match in Sydney since being stood down by Cronulla in 2008 and was roundly booed at times.

In the same incident, Sandow was cautioned for a cheap forearm to Bird's head while the No.6 was on the ground.

The Titans led 12-6 at halftime after the Bunnies had looked keen to play some football early, throwing the ball around with abandon.

Their approach paid dividends in the eighth minute when Champion streaked 25 metres down the right side of the field to score.

But the Titans were on the board in the 14th minute when replacement fullback William Zillman took a neat inside ball from Mat Rogers and second-rower Anthony Laffranchi gave Gold Coast the lead for the first time when he crashed through three defenders from close range in the 35th minute.

The Titans extended their lead nine minutes after the break when Joseph Tomane was first to a Prince grubber before a Rabbitohs revival.

Champion got his second in the 59th minute after Bird had been penalised for a tackle infringement.

Souths replacement Dave Tyrell barged over from close range to draw the home side level, Luke's conversion making it 18-16.

Champion was denied a hat-trick in the 73rd minute, video referee Steve Clark ruling he was held up.

Supergoose
19-03-10, 10:40 PM
I reckon we need to get Tomane as much ball as we can and as early as we can, a bit like the Broncos do with Justin Hodges - oh and we need to get Rat to study up on his upcoming opponent - everyone knows Champion likes an out ball - he made Rat look ordinary on more than a couple of occasions.

shamus
19-03-10, 10:41 PM
There were a couple of occasions tonight where we were in the Rabbits 10m zone and merely went 1 out trying to barge over the line - it seemed the most inept display of attack and it is like we are aimless. Surely we should have a few plays up our sleeve to work towards instead of 5 one out plays and a useless kick.

Spot on.....We should not have been looking at Golden Point!.....Frustrating to watch at times but as I said previously.......we got the 2 points, so now we (not us...but u know what I mean) sit down and work out what went wrong in the opposition 20.

teke
19-03-10, 10:44 PM
The refs have had some ordinary calls this early in the season :mad:

A win is a win :thumbsup:

Great to see bunnies and Dogs at the bottom :D

matti
19-03-10, 11:24 PM
Was the best game i been too in a long while, was great meeting the other crew as well, i think i nearly had a heart attack and my little girl and family had a ball!

matti
19-03-10, 11:29 PM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9539/25537404078907802641667.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/i/25537404078907802641667.jpg/)

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1299/25537404078967802641667.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/25537404078967802641667.jpg/)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8499/25537404079032802641667.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/25537404079032802641667.jpg/)

Sydney Titans Fanatic
20-03-10, 01:56 AM
Just got home from the game yes 255am...Such a nail biting game...Thanks matti for coming...like your pictures

DIEHARD
20-03-10, 02:16 AM
So tired in my hotel. What a magic escape.... It's like we won a Grand Final. Southern Legion went nuts!! Gotta get some sleep. Only got two hours last night. Handed out so many flyers. Lots ofnew recruits! We did alot of hard work patrolling the stadium and introducing ourselves to Titans fans. We have such a great fanbase.

Zillman and Tomane were absolute stand outs.

Great to meet you and your lovely family matti! Hope to see you again soon. Great pics matti. Love them! Can I put them on The Legion facebook.

Night all! Thanks for sharing the drama. I was checking facebook and the Titans Forum to view your comments.

DIEHARD
20-03-10, 02:18 AM
Hightlight of the night was leading the Southern Legion in the famous Legion Victory song Everywhere We Go!!!!!

teke
20-03-10, 02:20 AM
Im gonna throw it out there...

Greg Bird should be playing in the backrow when hes on the field. The Backline has that much more quality ball when Presto is partnering Prince. I never thought he was a 5/8 when he was at the Sharks and I dont now.

karnage
20-03-10, 07:03 AM
Hitting the panic button on the offense a bit early I think guys. Stadium Australia is a notoriously slippery ground and is not a venue to promote open ball play and lateral movement in attack - 2 things our more mobile players rely on heavily.

Even Origin matches - the highest quality RL on Earth - become more of a 'trench warfare' style of game when played at the venue.

Our backrowers are too good to drop and Bird has the quality to develop into the 5/8 role as the season unfolds.

We were also without our attacking 'spark' in Little Presto. He provides the variety to our attack that can look a little regimented when he is not around.

We are 2/0 with massive amounts of potential to improve.

I'm excited...

Steve
20-03-10, 08:31 AM
I'll take any win, even one as scrappy as that. Prince was under a huge amount of pressure all game, and understandable, there was no one else to mount an attack. Teke said it, Bird is a backrower not a half. Without Presto to take up the half duties from fullback I thought we struggled.

Friend was way off his game too, awful service all night, and with such penalty happy refs, pulling on the leg of the player playing the ball was just such a stupid thing to do.

I'm not too worried about Rogers. He's not played centre for a long time, he's going to run into a few positional issues but it shouldn't take him too long to get back into the swing, and I thought he always looked dangerous with the ball in his hand. More so than he ever did in the 6. That said, I felt he could have stepped up and taken some pressure off Prince, but I'm guessing he was either letting the halves be the halves or he was told not to. I think Bird only took one kick, and it was a shocker.

Zillman was looking good, and I think with a few weeks playing 80 at fullback he'll become a devastating weapon in attack. I really think our strongest team has him at fullback with Presto in the 6 and Bird in the back row. Yeah yeah yeah, Mini, Boof and Ash are great back rowers, but the stronger our bench is the better.

titanstattman
20-03-10, 08:56 AM

How could you not get excited towards the end of that game? I still got heartburn from yelling so loud for that period of time.

I with u boof how can u not scream at the tv wen ur team is in a close game like that.....

Felicity
20-03-10, 09:46 AM
How awesome was Zilly & Tomane!! :D

We are so lucky to have someone like Zillman to come into the side when needed, most other sides would kill to have him :) .

How massive is Tomane this season!? :jawdrop:

GCT_07
20-03-10, 09:50 AM
Hats off to the tat man ....... and yes... I m not hats off to you Mel or Kylie...... my fellow abusers when we are in the front row of the Legion but last night...... you bl00dy bunny lovers...................:chair:

It was a good night........ I still have no idea why we all thought that kick was Matty....... Oh well...... I owned up on Facebook Davey.:thumbsup: The Matty dance still stands thought.......:laugh:

I'll shock a lot by saying this but I m not in a hurry to see Bird moved from 6........I know I know.... its Mattys number..... but I just think when the new lineup gels we are going to be unstopable. We have just had 2 wins from 2 scrappy games, games we would have lost in the last few seasons so I m looking forward to round 4 and 5 which by that time every would have found their groove.

Also while I m here..... WHITE...... in a thread everyone was hackin on the guy...... I was beyond impressed with the guy last night..... he was in just about everything with some d@mn heavy hitting............. Way To Go dude.

teke
20-03-10, 10:09 AM
I'll take any win, even one as scrappy as that. Prince was under a huge amount of pressure all game, and understandable, there was no one else to mount an attack. Teke said it, Bird is a backrower not a half. Without Presto to take up the half duties from fullback I thought we struggled.

Friend was way off his game too, awful service all night, and with such penalty happy refs, pulling on the leg of the player playing the ball was just such a stupid thing to do.

I'm not too worried about Rogers. He's not played centre for a long time, he's going to run into a few positional issues but it shouldn't take him too long to get back into the swing, and I thought he always looked dangerous with the ball in his hand. More so than he ever did in the 6. That said, I felt he could have stepped up and taken some pressure off Prince, but I'm guessing he was either letting the halves be the halves or he was told not to. I think Bird only took one kick, and it was a shocker.

Zillman was looking good, and I think with a few weeks playing 80 at fullback he'll become a devastating weapon in attack. I really think our strongest team has him at fullback with Presto in the 6 and Bird in the back row. Yeah yeah yeah, Mini, Boof and Ash are great back rowers, but the stronger our bench is the better.Couldnt agree more.

timor 2
20-03-10, 10:31 AM
Also while I m here..... WHITE...... in a thread everyone was hackin on the guy...... I was beyond impressed with the guy last night..... he was in just about everything with some d@mn heavy hitting............. Way To Go dude.

I agree with you GCT 07 Matt White had a pretty good game, especially after reading why he missed last weeks game game against the Warriors in Fridays Gold Coast Bulletien.

Cheers Sean

titanstattman
20-03-10, 01:03 PM
Hats off to the tat man ....... and yes... I m not hats off to you Mel or Kylie...... my fellow abusers when we are in the front row of the Legion but last night...... you bl00dy bunny lovers...................:chair:

It was a good night........ I still have no idea why we all thought that kick was Matty....... Oh well...... I owned up on Facebook Davey.:thumbsup: The Matty dance still stands thought.......:laugh:

Well ma the answer is here........... Voss said it was matty who got the ball nd kicked it....

Nd not a prob it was a good night to watch sum footy....

Nd thanks for Ben to pop over as well hope u didnt get caught driving home.. hahahaha (arcross the road)

daveyk
20-03-10, 01:41 PM
tomane is going to be scoring machine for us this year....

7 tries in the last 7 nrl games....

DIEHARD
20-03-10, 01:58 PM
Tomane will be out buy if the season. At least in my books. I just get mire and more impressed with him. He can attack, create opportunites andhas really lifted his defence. Well do e Joseph. I think all Titans fans know who you are now. And probably most NRL fans as well. Storm are mad for letting him go.

Supergoose
20-03-10, 05:40 PM
A couple of people have rubbished Nathan friend on here and I think it is unwarranted as he was sin ginned for a penalty that should not have been a penalty. He wasn't even touching the leg of the player who just fell over to milk it. His service on a couple of occasions was affected by poor play the balls. He was way better than prince and I reckon he was in our top three players. On the bird five-eighth issue i reckon Rogers and bird could do a little interchanging throughout the match when in attack. Matty's kicking game is superior to bird's and I reckon bird in the centres would create havock for opposition team and open up more space for Gordon.

GCT_07
20-03-10, 06:10 PM
A couple of people have rubbished Nathan friend on here and I think it is unwarranted as he was sin ginned for a penalty that should not have been a penalty. He wasn't even touching the leg of the player who just fell over to milk it. His service on a couple of occasions was affected by poor play the balls. He was way better than prince and I reckon he was in our top three players. On the bird five-eighth issue i reckon Rogers and bird could do a little interchanging throughout the match when in attack. Matty's kicking game is superior to bird's and I reckon bird in the centres would create havock for opposition team and open up more space for Gordon.

Lucky him......wonder how many he managed to get down in that 10 minutes:laugh:

Ryan
20-03-10, 06:56 PM
I dont think Friend played up to his own lofty standards.
His sin bining was crap - no doubt about that. But that aside, I picked up a few times where he was too slow to deliver good ball to Prince, especially when we were close to the line. One particular time when Prince was rushed for a short kick, could be put down soley to Friend not being urgent enough in dummy half.

daveyk
20-03-10, 08:44 PM
the deliveries on the 5th in the first half were absolutely rubbish... prince was picking it up from his ankles... friendy had a slightly off game... but was still good for us as per usual...

DIEHARD
21-03-10, 12:18 PM
It's League not Union - Asotasi

SOUTHS playmaker John Sutton last night accused referees of "trying to make a name for themselves" and captain Roy Asotasi fears the NRL could be turned into rugby union.

The frustration was still evident at the Rabbitohs' recovery session as they struggled to accept Friday night's golden-point loss to the Gold Coast Titans and the extraordinary 21 penalties that ruined the game as a spectacle.

Halfback Chris Sandow admitted he sent a chair flying in the dressing room after he was penalised and sin-binned in the final minute, which gave the Titans the chance to take the game into extra time and eventually win it with a Scott Prince field goal.

Referees Ashley Klein and Tony De Las Heras came under fire for many of the nit-picking penalties.

"I thought it was very frustrating," Sutton said. "It wasn't free-flowing at all. There were a whole heap of penalties. Some of them (referees) are trying to make a name for themselves. They are really trying to assert themselves.

"The young blokes are trying to make their mark and it is something we have to cope with."

With the introduction of two referees last season eroding the depth of the whistle-blowers, Sutton points to the lack of experience for the skyrocketing penalty counts. You probably only have three or four at the top," Sutton said.

"I don't know much about refereeing, but some of them need some more experience. I think some of them have to work harder."

Sandow was still coming to terms with giving away a penalty for interfering with Prince at the play-the-ball that cost his team victory.

"It's hard to say if (the referee) got it right," Sandow said. "I really don't know what to say. I'm pretty filthy with myself because I think I let them down. I had to try to slow the ball down because the game was on the line. I was filthy because I cost them the game, but things happen.

"I went in and a sent a chair flying after I was sin-binned. I was pretty angry with myself. I just put my head down when all the boys came into the sheds.

"Things are really going against us at the moment, but it will turn. We just have to keep on plugging away and we will turn the corner."

As his side regrouped at a recovery session at Maroubra, Asotasi said the Rabbitohs would work on their discipline before they take on the Sharks next Monday night.

"It felt like a game of union," Asotasi said. "There was just a whistle going off every couple of minutes, but once the referee makes a decision it is final.

"We just have to learn how to deal with it. We just have to rise above it."

Asotasi threw his support behind the use of two referees despite his frustrations with Friday night's penalty count.

"I am a fan of the two ref system," Asotasi said. "When it came in, I thought it was a good idea and I still do. I think it is just a work in progress.

"It is only in its second year and the only way referees can get better is by refereeing games. I am just hoping we don't have the whistle again like last night."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

matti
21-03-10, 12:29 PM
Fri night ref sucked end of story

Adelaide Titan
21-03-10, 01:31 PM
2am in the morning i was watching the replay on channel 9....my goodness i think i had a heart attack! wasnt the best overall performance, but a great win on the road.

teke
21-03-10, 07:01 PM
How about Parras last two tries against Manly today. My goodness I have never witnessed a more forward pass in my life.

daveyk
21-03-10, 09:54 PM
How about Parras last two tries against Manly today. My goodness I have never witnessed a more forward pass in my life.

the final try was all okay but the one before that was forward by a mile...

DIEHARD
21-03-10, 10:42 PM
Benji also passed forward to set up a Tigers try. Very un-rugby league. And while the commentators say it was a blow out score so didnt matter, it does, because we need consistency of refereeing competition wise.

Tamwelg
21-03-10, 10:50 PM
Benji also passed forward to set up a Tigers try.

I was going to point out that too.

GCT_07
21-03-10, 11:15 PM
I suppose I look at it slighly differntly again, I can live with the occasional forward pass that doesnt get picked up...... with the amount of refs on the field now if a forward gets missed then if its not to often I can live with it. I can also live with "benifit of the doubt" if you cant say no try withing 3 looks at it then benifit of the doubt

What I have trouble with is the over refering of a game. Friday night is the classsic example of what I cant stand. You dont Sin Bin someone for what Friend was binned for....... you dont run 20 odd penalties and 2 sinbins in one game. All that does is stop the flow of the game and screw up the enjoyment of the game. That game on Friday night was scored on Penalties. 2 tries to the bunnies because of the Sin Bin..... Get the golden point because of another sin bin. You cant even say the strongest team on the night won...... because the most predominant team out there were the ones in pink:censored:

Well thats my thoughts anyway.......

AmericanTitan
22-03-10, 03:56 AM
I was an absolute honor watching Joseph Tomane play footy against the Souths.

He is an absolute bull when he gets the ball and should get it more often. He's VERY impressive.

Also, Zillman was very solid. There has to be some changes made to keep him in the lineup along with Presto.

DIEHARD
22-03-10, 01:55 PM
I was an absolute honor watching Joseph Tomane play footy against the Souths.

He is an absolute bull when he gets the ball and should get it more often. He's VERY impressive.

He was amazing for us, what a buy and if he keeps it up will be our top try scorer. But he will also save a bunch and set up more. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
22-03-10, 01:57 PM
Scrap sin bin, says Cartwright

TITANS coach John Cartwright believes the NRL should 'scrap the sin bin' in the wake of the Gold Coast's penalty-riddled 19-18 victory over South Sydney at the weekend.

Cartwright yesterday took aim at inconsistent rulings from the game's whistleblowers, after both Titans hooker Nathan Friend and Rabbitohs halfback Chris Sandow were sent for 10-minute stints in the sheds at crucial stages during the golden point thriller game.

Friend was marched in at the 63rd minute for pulling the leg of a Souths player in a tackle, while Sandow was punted during the 79th minute for a similarly innocuous ruck indiscretion.

"I wish they would scrap the sin bin all together," said Cartwright.

"I don't see any point in it. There is no consistency with it at all. If they are not going to use it the same every time then it is a blight on the game.

"Some games they use it, some games they don't. While we have got rules like that in the game, it is too hard on the referees ... especially when you lose a player for 10 minutes, which is an eighth of the game, for pulling a leg."

The Titans finished on the wrong side of whopping 11-9 penalty count, but still managed to sneak home thanks to an extra time field goal off the boot of skipper Scott Prince.

The Rabbitohs were also scathing of the performance of referees Ashley Klein and Tony De Las Heras.

Souths five-eighth John Sutton accused younger referees of 'trying to make a name for themselves'. Rabbitohs captain Roy Asotasi said he had felt as though he was playing a game of rugby union.

Statistics obtained by The Bulletin, show there has been an increase in penalties in the opening two rounds compared to last year's season.

On average 11.73 penalties were awarded per game last year, including the finals series.

This year, that figure has risen to 14.26, with 214 penalties blown in 15 games so far this season.

"The game is in good shape and I just think we have been tinkering with it a bit too much in the rule department," said Cartwright.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

matti
22-03-10, 07:55 PM
there just slowing the game down making the fans more angry and making the game less attractive

daveyk
22-03-10, 08:05 PM
Scrap sin bin, says Cartwright

Statistics obtained by The Bulletin, show there has been an increase in penalties in the opening two rounds compared to last year's season.

On average 11.73 penalties were awarded per game last year, including the finals series.

This year, that figure has risen to 14.26, with 214 penalties blown in 15 games so far this season.

"The game is in good shape and I just think we have been tinkering with it a bit too much in the rule department," said Cartwright.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

okay... Finch must be on crack... i saw in an interview tonight that "there have been less penalties this year already" (roughly quoted)

those stats above show how wrong and out of touch with his refs he is

Ryan
25-03-10, 05:26 PM
More giant tasks to help Croker become great: Campese

Jarrod Croker could be one of the greatest centres in Raiders' history, says teammate Terry Campese. Photo: Getty Images

In just 23 games Jarrod Croker has done enough to convince Raiders five-eighth Terry Campese he'll be remembered as one of the Green Machine's greatest centres.

Considering the Raiders have been blessed with the likes of Queensland great Mal Meninga and 300-gamer Jason Croker, it's some rap.

But it's one Campese reckoned the laid-back 19-year-old from Goulburn thoroughly deserved.

"He's going to be up there with the greatest centres the club's seen," Campese said ahead of Saturday night's round three clash with the Gold Coast Titans.

"He's still only a young bloke and has a lot to learn and he's already playing some great football for the club.

"He's got a level head on his shoulders and improving his game."

That's the key word improvement.

By his own admission Croker has started slow out of the blocks in 2010.

In last Monday's win over the Brisbane Broncos, Croker was given a stern working over defensively.

The second-year prodigy missed six tackles in all as the Broncos ran big bopper Sam Thaiday at him all night long.

"Big Sam Thaiday, he was tough to handle," Croker said.

"Every time he got near me he kept stepping on my toe.

"I don't think it was on purpose, but he's definitely tough to handle.

"He's got a good offload, hit and spin, so he was tough."

Croker's teammates have stood by him every step of the way, none more so than Campese. The former NSW playmaker made an astounding 42 tackles in the vital 24-16 victory over the Broncos while falling off just four.

Croker is yet to open his tryscoring account for the season, a hunger he's craving to satisfy this weekend."I haven't had a lot of ball really, I need to get more involved," he said."My defence has been sort of solid, but it's got room for improvement as well.

"Hopefully get some more ball and get some meat pies on board."

Every week Croker has faced a formidable direct opponent.

In the four games so far, two of which were pre-season trials, he's already given away size and strength to Jamal Idris, Michael Jennings and Israel Folau.

The task doesn't get any easier this week against a bulked-up Joseph Tomane.

Tipping the scales at an imposing 101kg, the Titans recruit often took two or three South Sydney defenders with him in an impressive display last Friday.

The pair had previously met in the National Youth Competition when Tomane was at the Storm.

"It's another big one, he's put on a lot of weight over the off-season," Croker said.

Meanwhile, former Queensland representative Adam Mogg was yesterday a step closer to rejoining the Raiders after the club confirmed he had been released from his contract with the Catalans Dragons.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner hoped to have the 32-year-old signed for the rest of the season by the end of the week.

The Raiders had extra reason to celebrate, with membership numbers passing the 6000-barrier for the first time.

That easily eclipses the previous best of 4815 set last year.

Canberra Times
Was this meant to go in the Rnd3 thread?

DIEHARD
25-03-10, 05:31 PM
Yea whoops. I was gonn a move this thread. Must have closed the wrong window!