PDA

View Full Version : Hookey signs with Penrith

Steelers
07-12-05, 03:33 PM
Source: www.foxsports.com.au

PENRITH has given Lee Hookey an opportunity to resurrect his NRL career, offering the former South Sydney prodigy a one-year contract.

Hookey, who has scored 44 tries in a 109-game career with the Rabbitohs and St George-Illawarra, has struggled to fulfill his early promise after bursting onto the scene in 1999.

The speedy three-quarter was off contract after making just 11 first grade appearances for the Rabbitohs in 2005.

Penrith coach John Lang said Hookey would bring some much-needed experience to the Panthers next year.

"Our outside backs are an area where we don't have a lot of experience," Lang said today.

"Including Lee, we have just 10 backs with NRL experience, which is not a lot.

"We've signed some outstanding young prospects but he's played more than 100 first grade games and he's looking for an opportunity to resurrect his NRL career.

"He's got a lot of top class football under his belt.

"In an NRL season with injuries and rep football, the more players you've got with experience at the top level the better off you are.

"He's got speed - you don't play 100-odd first grade games without a lashing of ability.
"I know he was an outstanding young player at Souths, whether he has lived up to that potential, I don't know.

"He didn't have a good year last year - he might not have played for Australia but he's got a pretty handy record for a 26-year-old.

"I thought it was worthwhile giving him an opportunity."

Hookey, who officially joins the Panthers tomorrow, is one of several players pressing for outside back positions at the Panthers, with Nick Youngquest, Danny Galea and London Broncos signing Mark O'Halloren among the other leading contenders.

Ipswich Fan
07-12-05, 03:39 PM
Penrith have done alright with their player signings without spending a fortune. Hookey will do good things for Penrith.

Steelers
07-12-05, 03:40 PM
Penrith have done alright with their player signings without spending a fortune. Hookey will do good things for Penrith.
He was a great player while he was at the Dragons and (hopefully) he will do well at Penrith (just as Amos Roberts did)

Dakink
07-12-05, 03:41 PM
I also think Hookey will be a good buy for Penrith.

Adds a little class and depth to their threadbare backline.

Luke
07-12-05, 04:19 PM
he should do good at panthers

Teegy
07-12-05, 04:49 PM
Hookey is a great player and will fit in good with the penrith style of play

Titanium_BD1103
07-12-05, 08:11 PM
He was a good player at the Dragons, lost his way at Souths, has spent the offseason so far training with our club the Bulldogs and now heads to Penrith.. :D :D

He was super fit and keen, so kudos to Penrith on a good buy and lets hope he can be the strong player he was at the Dragons once more, according to the Bulldogs, we would have kept him, but we have too many backs now.. we don't need anymore.. :)