PDA

View Full Version : Trial 2: TITANS vs SOUTHS @ Coffs Habour

DIEHARD
03-12-09, 03:36 PM
Titans to take on Souths in Coffs
Adam Gardini
Thursday, 3 December 2009
The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans? pre-season campaign will kick-off in earnest at Coffs Harbour on Saturday, February 20 when the club clashes with South Sydney in a full-scale NRL trial match.

The match, to be played at BCU International Stadium, will mark the Jetstar Titans? first major hit-out of the pre-season following a second tier Titans side?s clash against a Broncos? Under-20s outfit at Ipswich on Friday, February 12.

The club's other full-scale hit-out of the pre-season will be against the North Queensland Cowboys in Darwin on Saturday, February 27.

Tickets for the Coffs Harbour match are now available through TicketDirect, over the phone by calling TicketDirect Australia on 1300-798550 ($3.50 booking fee applies) or in person at the following locations:

* Coffs Harbour Visitor Information Centre (VIC), located on the corner of Maclean and Elizabeth Streets, Coffs Harbour. The VIC is open from 9.00am - 5.00pm, 7 days a week.

* Waterfall Way Centre, Council Park located at 29 Hyde St Bellingen. Opening hours are 9.00am - 5.00pm, 7 days a week.

* Nambucca Leagues & Sports Club, Coronation Park located in Short St Nambucca Heads. Opening hours are 11.00am - 5pm, 7 days a week.

* Grafton District Services Club located at 105 Mary St, Grafton. Opening hours are 9.30am - 9.30pm, 7 days a week.

Ticket prices range from $30 for grandstand tickets to $10 for an adult outer ground ticket.

There is a special early bird discout for tickets purchased from now until midnight on Friday, January 22.

GCT_89
03-12-09, 10:03 PM
well its on guys and girls!

first trip of the new season............

i will def be driving down for this game.........

who else is in.....or at least in the maybe pile......

GCT_89
03-12-09, 10:04 PM
?H NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill be at good vibes.........
all that excitement washed away instantly......lol

oh well......looks like ill be making it to only the one trial game this year (ipswich).....theres always a first for everything!....lol

dee13
04-12-09, 07:15 AM
Damned trip to Hawaii.:fist: I guess I will have to miss this one.

DIEHARD
04-12-09, 11:54 AM
We are dropping like flies!! :laugh:

I'll be able to make it, probably car pool. It should be va great trip, I've really enjoyed all my stays at Coffs in the past.

lonegull
04-12-09, 12:19 PM
the lonegull will be there just got my tickets

Sydney Titans Fanatic
07-12-09, 03:27 PM
Flying up from sydney is there accomadation in coffs harbour

Sydney Titans Fanatic
07-12-09, 06:53 PM
is anyone planning to fly to darwin

hugebrianfan
08-12-09, 10:31 AM
Good to see a match down there, I love coffs harbour, havent been there for a while, though

shamus
08-12-09, 06:45 PM
I am there......Here is the link if you wanna book online..

https://www.ticketdirect.com.au

DIEHARD
22-01-10, 06:57 PM
Jetstar Gold Coast Titans to continue their fierce rivalry against the Rabbitohs in Coffs.

South?s are set to unleash their star signings during next month?s trial against the Titans in Coffs harbour.

The two clubs have built a fierce rivalry over the past four seasons and expects another exciting clash on the 20th of February.

Former Maroons enforcer Gordon Tallis is assisting the Rabbitohs in 2010 and says he?ll be happy if any one of the three Queensland clubs progress to play the Bunnies for this years NRL Premiership

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=titans-tv&vid=3239

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Steve
24-01-10, 01:06 PM
There looks to be heaps of accomodation in Coffs catering to all budgets.

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced?viewType=all&page=4&country=AU&mapRequested=false&region=1250&isoCurrencyCode=AUD

Aqualuna Beach Resort looks great if you can get the people for their 3 bedroom villa. Has a spa and includes breakfast for 6 people. Works out at 55 a night per person!

http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W5832&page=4&viewType=all

DIEHARD
24-01-10, 02:20 PM
I'd better start planning for Coffs. Car pool looks the go.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
24-01-10, 08:07 PM
were is everyone getting tickets for the game

DIEHARD
25-01-10, 04:50 PM
Tickets for the Coffs Harbour match are now available through TicketDirect, over the phone by calling TicketDirect Australia on 1300-798550 ($3.50 booking fee applies) or in person at the following locations:

DIEHARD
25-01-10, 04:55 PM
Unless you mean where we are sitting. I'd say GA of course.

helcam4
26-01-10, 07:20 PM
we`ve got tickets and accom all put to sleep, tickets in ga, where is everyone meeting up so we get strength in numbers?

GCT_07
27-01-10, 06:32 PM
love to be able to say we are going cause the 'convoy' down to Lismore last year was a blast.......but..... if I m tossing up between season memberships or a trip to coffs for a trial game....... well looks like we will be staying on the Gold Coast:doh:

Got 1 membership..... still got another 3 to get :fist:

titanstattman
28-01-10, 08:51 AM
love to be able to say we are going cause the 'convoy' down to Lismore last year was a blast.......but..... if I m tossing up between season memberships or a trip to coffs for a trial game....... well looks like we will be staying on the Gold Coast:doh:

Got 1 membership..... still got another 3 to get :fist:

Im thinking of going down but im driving back after the game....

Same as the rd 2 game drive down nd drive back after game....

lonegull
28-01-10, 10:03 AM
i am making the 1000km car trip to watch this, i am very excited as this is the first time my daughters get to see the titans in real flesh and blood not on TV, all up i have a group of 7 coming to coffs for this

titanstattman
28-01-10, 10:14 AM
i am making the 1000km car trip to watch this, i am very excited as this is the first time my daughters get to see the titans in real flesh and blood not on TV, all up i have a group of 7 coming to coffs for this

Nice work... Lucky for me its only 3 1/2 to 4 hrs.. I think we are going to get a really big turn out....

lonegull
28-01-10, 10:36 AM
Agree i think there is going to be a big titans contingent there, cant wait

Coaster
28-01-10, 03:51 PM
Any chance the club could show these trials via stream at the Titanium Bar like they hinted at a few years ago?

I can not make the games due to work commitments but would love to watch them.

Maybe someone wants to video it and we could get it hosted for members or something?

DIEHARD
01-02-10, 07:31 AM
Rabbitohs flex muscles but Titans unworried

GOLD Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says his forwards are not fazed by a battle with South Sydney's much-hyped, new-look pack.
Cartwright also cautioned Souths supporters against expecting miracles from big-name signings Englishman Sam Burgess and former Bronco Dave Taylor.

Taylor (118kg) and Burgess (112kg) could be used in the second row by the Rabbitohs, who play their first trial against Manly at Redfern Oval next Sunday.

Souths have a trial against the Titans at Coffs Harbour on February 20 and the two clubs meet again in round 2 of the NRL premiership in Sydney on March 19.

Souths will boast the biggest pack in the NRL, with St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett describing it as the "best pack in the competition, at least in terms of reputation".

Cartwright admits the Rabbitohs look formidable, but he expects his forwards to carry on the good work of 2009 when the Titans finished third in the minor premiership and Souths 10th.

"There's no good having a team of monsters if you don't have the right balance," he said yesterday. "You still have a 10-man interchange. Souths have two young forwards with the most potential going around in Taylor and Burgess.

"Burgess had a great Four Nations for England and Taylor was probably the form forward of the NRL going into the finals last year.

"Having said that, Dave has come out of a star-studded Broncos outfit and there's going to be more expected of him at Souths, I would say.

"And young Burgess is coming into a competition that is probably a fair bit different to what he was used to in Britain.

"While there is a lot of potential, and everyone can see the potential, there are still a few hurdles to jump."

Souths coach John Lang said he would give Taylor and Burgess a run against Manly and was "open minded" about where they would end up playing.

"It's a tremendous advantage to be perfectly honest because both of them can play front-row or second-row and it gives us great flexibility as a team," Lang said.

''You can't kid yourself, it's exciting to be able to attract two blokes like Dave and Sam to the club.

"I personally think it's a good step to get two of the best young forwards in the game in the one season, particularly as Souths have struggled over the years to attract players."

The Titans' first trial is against the Broncos at Briggs Road on Friday week, although both sides will be largely under-20s outfits.

"But there will be a good sprinkling of first grade players with our under-20s," Cartwright said.

"Last year was our best year by a mile as a team, but everyone will be looking to improve as individuals, and obviously if that happens then the team is going to improve."

Former Bulldogs forward Fred Briggs has quit Sydney to play bush football with Cowra. Briggs played 10 NRL games in 2008, but spent 2009 in the NSW Cup with Bankstown.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/

DIEHARD
02-02-10, 11:46 AM
SAM BURGESS TOLD IT WILL NOT BE EASY

SAM BURGESS has been warned he will find it hard to live up to the hype as he prepares for life in the NRL with South Sydney.

Burgess and former Brisbane prop Dave Taylor are the star recruits for Russell Crowe?s Souths and their pack is tipped to be the best in the competition this season.

Burgess?s first appearance in a Souths shirt on Sunday is expected to be an easy ride. He and Taylor play in a trial against a Manly side made up entirely of youngsters.

But Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright believes Burgess will find the transition from the Super League to the NRL a massive challenge when the real business starts next month.

?Burgess had a great Four Nations for England and Taylor was probably the form forward of the NRL going into the finals last year,? said Cartwright.

?While there is a lot of potential, there are still a few hurdles to jump. There?s no good having a team of monsters if you don?t have the right balance. You still have a 10-man interchange.?

Former England hooker Terry Newton?s biceps injury, suffered in Wakefield?s 18-10 win at Harlequins on Saturday, is not as bad as was first feared and he has a good chance of playing against Catalans Dragons this Sunday.

The Wildcats are interested in former Bradford winger Lesley Vainikolo, who is in the last year of his contract with rugby union side Gloucester . But he is likely to be tempted by the huge money on offer in Japan or France.

Anthony Seibold will be appointed coach of the new Neath-based South Wales Scorpions this week.

Australian Seibold was formerly football manager at Crusaders before their rebranding and move to Wrexham.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk

quinn loves titans
16-02-10, 08:44 PM
Jetstar Gold Coast Titans recruit Greg Bird will make his anticipated debut for the club in Saturday night's trial match against Souths at BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour.

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright today named Bird in a strong 22-man squad for the trial match, with the former Cronulla Shark set to partner Scott Prince in a new-look halves pairing.

With Bird named at five-eighth, dual international Mat Rogers has been named in the centres, as has Melbourne Storm recruit Joseph Tomane.

NRL All Stars representative Luke Bailey is expected to back-up after Saturday night's inaugural All Stars clash at Skilled Park.

However, Indigenous All Stars captain Preston Campbell has been rested for the match.

Titans v South Sydney
Saturday, February 20
BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour

1 Shannon Walker
2 David Mead
3 Mat Rogers
4 Joseph Tomane
5 Jordan Atkins
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince
8 Brad Meyers
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
14 Matthew White
15 Luke Bailey
16 William Zilliam
17 Riley Brown
18 Clinton Toopi
19 Sam Tagataese
20 Bodene Thompson
21 Will Matthews
22 Ben Ridge

OMG WHERE IS GORDON:fight: who do they think they are

Coaster
16-02-10, 09:09 PM
Awesome team, really looking forward to see how they go against a strong Souths team.

Full strength forward pack

patskE
16-02-10, 09:12 PM
atkins... he hsant done nothing since his debut, should blood an young gun...
good to see walker playing, ahead of zillman?

Coaster
16-02-10, 09:13 PM
Its a trial,

I would say they are trialing Zillman impact off the bench, and i have no doubt Gordon will be there round 1

GCT_89
16-02-10, 10:33 PM
Its a trial,

I would say they are trialing Zillman impact off the bench

Lol... Like completley different from most of last year......

Boofhead
16-02-10, 10:38 PM
Kevin Gordon wings it
Greg White | 16th February 2010

GOLD Coast winger Kevin Gordon is a notable omission from the preliminary side named to play South Sydney at BCU International Stadium on Saturday night.

But according to Titans general manager of football Scott Clark, that doesn?t mean the former Sawtell Panthers? speedster won?t be on the paddock.

?The medical staff are working on Kevvy and will try to involve him in the match at some stage,? he said.

?We know how big his local profile is and he?ll certainly be prominent during the visit.?

Gordon had surgery during the summer break and is still recovering from the battering he took during that sparkling 2009 introduction to NRL first grade where at one stage he was being mentioned as an outside chance of a State Of Origin berth.

?Any decision will be made at the last moment but we won?t be risking him if there?s any doubt over his fitness, there?s a lot at stake,? Clark added.

The Titans will leave their arrival in Coffs Harbour until the morning of the match but in the days following will kick back in the city, holding training sessions and public appearances until the following Wednesday.

Coffs Coast Advocate

quinn loves titans
17-02-10, 06:45 AM
oh good thought they were stupid probs will mix up walker and zilly but haveing surgery is bad makes him weak in some places:(

DIEHARD
18-02-10, 03:35 AM
Greg Bird talks of partnership with Prince

TITANS recruit Greg Bird says he can't wait to re-ignite a combination with halfback Scott Prince against Souths Sydney in Coffs Harbour on Saturday.

Bird will line up at five-eighth for the trial match, with the Titans skipper slipping into his usual No.7 jumper.

But contrary to popular belief, it will not be the first time the two players have joined forces in the halves.

Back in 2007, then Cronulla pivot Bird and Titans playmaker Prince represented the Prime Minister's XIII against the Papua New Guinea Kumuls.

Bird remembers enjoying the hitout with the crafty No.7 and said he would use the next two trials against the Rabbitohs and North Queensland Cowboys in Darwin to fine-tune their partnership before the start of the season proper against the Warriors at Skilled Park on March 14.

"We haven't been doing a lot of ball work at training," said Bird.

"We have done a lot more defence and the like.

"That is probably coming more in the next few weeks in the trials, where we are working on some ball work and combinations."

While Bird has the versatility for the back row if injuries require it, he will almost certainly start the year with the No. 6 on his back.

The former NSW and Test pivot said he would be making the most of the opportunity at five-eighth this weekend.

"I would like to be a five-eighth, but I will play wherever Carty thinks is best for the team," he said.

"Whether it is at five-eight or lock, it doesn't really bother me.

"I am just glad to be back playing football."

The Titans will carry a near full-strength side into the match.

With Preston Campbell backing up from last Saturday's historic All Stars clash at Robina and William Zillman still working his way back to full fitness from off-season shoulder surgery, enigmatic flyer Shannon Walker will start at fullback.

Aggressive young prop Bodene Thompson has been given another chance to impress, named on the bench alongside new recruits Riley Brown and Clinton Toopi.

With Esi Tonga (shoulder) and Kevin Gordon (hip) still on the injured list, the Titans' other major signing Joseph Tomane has retained his place in the centres after a two-try debut in the Titans 52-0 victory over the Broncos last Friday.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

quinn loves titans
18-02-10, 02:20 PM
sick cant wait to see him in halves this is first time ive heard about kevin gordon so probs gonna be
1.preston
2.mead
3.rogers
4.toopi
5.tomane
6.bird
7.prince
8.bailey
9.friend
10.henderson
11.laffranchi
12.minichello
13.harrison

awesome team guys cant wait :P

DIEHARD
18-02-10, 03:05 PM
After clocking up some serious overtime as the chief promoter of the All Stars game last week, Preston Campbell has been granted some well-deserved time off. Gold Coast Titans have given him a week to put his feet up, allowing him to bypass training as well as their pre-season trial against South Sydney at Coffs Harbour on Saturday. The game will be the first in Titans colours for their major recruit Greg Bird. The former Cronulla, NSW and Australia five-eighth will begin in the halves with Scott Prince, with Mat Rogers and fellow new arrival Joseph Tomane handed starts in the centres. Shannon Walker will cover for Campbell at fullback.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

shamus
18-02-10, 03:11 PM
I just got to Coffs and am staying at the Novotel. I figured the Titans were staying here but didn't count on the Rabbits being here too....

Unsure if Dave Taylor was in their run on squad or not, but his left ankle is strapped and he has a slight limp. But maybe he always straps it and maybe he always walks with a limp.. :p

Anyways, I cannot wait until Saturday and I am disappointed that the Titans don't get here until game day. It would have been interesting to see both teams together leading up to Saturday as the games room at the Novotel is only so big.. :D

shamus
19-02-10, 12:33 PM
OK. Here is some news I didn't know. This morning the 'Wallabies' logo that has been on the huge Novotel signage that fronts the Pacific Highway was removed this morning (about time) and was replaced with what I thought would be 'Home away from home for the Titans' as I was under the impression that this was their away base. Wrong, it is now worded 'Home of Camp Rabbitohs'......watz goin' on there then? We can't be sharing unless Titans didn't pay any signage fees or whatever.

Me and the wife are so outnumbered here. There are rabbit supporters everywhere and it seems there was a meet and greet yesterday as everyone...and I mean everyone was walking around with a rabbits jersey looking to get autographs. I wore my Titans singlet everywhere yesterday around the hotel but didn't get too many bites and as the Rabbits were eating at the restaurant here last night I wore my Titans polo Shirt (current model :p ) and went down for some games of pool. Again no bites although on one of my walks from the games room to the bar I had to give way to Michael Crocker. I was gunna mess with him but after looking at the size of him I changed my mind.

Anyways when I got back Crocker and co were playing pool on the other table and they were talking about the 'rap' song that they all have to perform. Michael C started his rapping which cracked the other guys up. I think it is still a Work In Progress. It would be nice to see them perform but I doubt if Titans will be allowed.

Gotta go...it is costing me a motza to be online at this joint. Hurry down whoever is coming....

P.S. Anyone staying here??

titanstattman
19-02-10, 02:47 PM
GOLD Coast Titans prop Michael Henderson has been ruled out of tomorrow night's first full-scale trial against Souths Sydney in Coffs Harbour because of a broken big toe.

The hard-running 25-year-old was injured a fortnight ago at training but only recently discovered the extent of the damage to his right foot.

"We were playing some fitness games and I dived. I was trying to get Presto actually and jarred my toe into the ground," said Henderson.

"I didn't know it was broken until last week. It is not that painful or anything but it is just one of those things.

"You don't realise how much you use your big toe. It is not a serious injury, more frustrating than anything."

With fellow big man Aaron Cannings set to miss the start of the season as he works his way back to full fitness after off-season shoulder surgery, it is important Henderson is fit for Round 1.

Henderson, who has also been ruled out for the Titans final trial against the Cowboys in Darwin next Saturday, said he would be fit for the Warriors clash at Skilled Park on March 14.

Challenging Henderson to start the year partnering Luke Bailey in the front row are Brad Meyers and Matt White, with young duo Bodene Thompson and Will Matthews expected to push for a berth. All four are expected to play against Souths.

The forward battle will be one of the highlights of the clash with the Rabbitohs, who have named a powerful pack including big-hitting English recruit Sam Burgess.

"There is a lot of depth all through the side this year," said Henderson.

"Everyone will be out to get a spot in the side and I will be no different.

"It is disappointing I won't get any trials in but it is not the be all and end all."

Henderson said that apart from the toe problem, he was feeling the best he had in years following his first full pre-season since seriously breaking his leg against the Broncos in 2007.

"I have stayed the same weight but done a lot more strength work with my legs, which I haven't been able to do for the past few years," he said.

"I think my leg speed and my strength should be a lot better this season, which I am looking forward to."

After the Souths game the Titans will stay in Coffs Harbour for their yearly training camp until mid-week, before leaving for the Northern Territory.

www.goldcoast.com.au

teke
20-02-10, 01:46 AM
OK. Here is some news I didn't know. This morning the 'Wallabies' logo that has been on the huge Novotel signage that fronts the Pacific Highway was removed this morning (about time) and was replaced with what I thought would be 'Home away from home for the Titans' as I was under the impression that this was their away base. Wrong, it is now worded 'Home of Camp Rabbitohs'......watz goin' on there then? We can't be sharing unless Titans didn't pay any signage fees or whatever.Yeah Coffs is the Rabbitohs Off Season home ground. Coffs is where I grew up and I have been down that way a bit over the last few months and have run into Russ Crowe and some Souths players a few times.

Anyway Titans should do them tomorrow night.

shamus
20-02-10, 08:00 AM
Yeah Coffs is the Rabbitohs Off Season home ground. Coffs is where I grew up and I have been down that way a bit over the last few months and have run into Russ Crowe and some Souths players a few times.

Anyway Titans should do them tomorrow night.

Thanks for the info.....

It is raining as I type (bummer)..........it has been for half the night. Just drizzle though and nothing heavy.............yet.

Oh, and I think big Dave Taylor is definately out. Unless he is allowed to break curfew. There was a party last night and out of the 'stayers' was Tallis and Taylor, everyone else was gone by the time I gatecrashed. (around 10:30 pm NSW time)

P.S. ......and there was no misbehaving by anyone. Just thought I better add that bit.

shamus
20-02-10, 01:20 PM
The rain has stopped and the sun is trying to get out.......and the boys have just turned up.

daveyk
20-02-10, 04:40 PM
is the game at 6:30 qld time??

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately u can't be there. Just bought my flights for Round two and with Origin and the Test and other games. I can't afford.

Should be a cracker though!!

We are getting live updates thanks to Greg.

I'll try and give him a call at the break for more info too.

Dragons
20-02-10, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately u can't be there. Just bought my flights for Round two and with Origin and the Test and other games. I can't afford.

Should be a cracker though!!

We are getting live updates thanks to Greg.

I'll try and give him a call at the break for more info too.

I hope the Titans smash the Rabbits so we can beat them in the Charity Shield. Kill the rabbit...kill the rabbit.

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 05:31 PM
Dang Diehard i love your updates :P hope greg does as well, btw im going to warriors game want to meet up.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 05:49 PM
Greg says Bird is looking fit and looks like Kevin Gordan is in jersey 25

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 06:04 PM
Yes Go Kevieeeeeeeeeee.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:09 PM
Burgess and Taylor ate nit present in Souths starting 13.

Titans just had an opportunity with a 70m sprint. So close.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:10 PM
I'm going for a big one by Shannon Walker.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:14 PM
Titans penalised for high shot. On second tackle we cop another. That's two against us in quick succession.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:15 PM
The game is being played in 1/4s

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:18 PM
Goal line drop out to Souths. They score on next set through Isaac Luke. Conversion hits posts.

Souths 4 Gold Coast 0

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:19 PM
Actually they got that goal. Miss read. ; )

Come on Titans!!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:20 PM
Titans knock on ball. 30m line. Souths end. Sounds like we are our own worst enemy ATM!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:24 PM
1/4 time. 6-0 to South Sydney.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:37 PM
Gold Coast making continual errors. A knock on and giving away penalties.

It's the second quarter. No change to score. Souths lead 6-0

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:41 PM
Some great kicking from Scott Prince leads to a try to Mat Rogers. Its converted. 6 all!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:50 PM
Cross field kick from Prince. To Toopi, he scores. Conversion waved away.

Gold Coast 10 South Sydney 6

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 06:51 PM
Souths kick it out on the full from the restart.

On the siren.

Titans kick it across field. But defused by Souths.

That's half time folks!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:09 PM
All quiet on the Coffs Harbour front. Hope his phone isn't flat!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:20 PM
I'll post back as soon as I hear anything.

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 07:21 PM
Has greg stopped replying completely?

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:26 PM
Ok I SMSed Helen and Cam, who are at the game.

It's 16 all at the start of the fourth quarter.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:29 PM
Compliments of Helen and Cam.

Prince scored and it was converted.

Gold Coast 22
South Sydney 16

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:35 PM
William Zillman scores!!! Titans convert.

Gold Coast 28

South Sydney 16

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:39 PM
Hopefully we can hold on. Maybe even lay on some more tries. There will be a match report online soon after full time.

Come on Gold Coast!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:41 PM
28 to 22. Three mins to go!!!!

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:44 PM
Victory us OURS!!!!!

Gold Coast Titans 28

South Sydney 22

More to come!

GCT_07
20-02-10, 07:53 PM
Some great kicking from Scott Prince leads to a try to Mat Rogers. Its converted. 6 all!

Go Matty... Go Matty...... Gooooooo

Ohhhh good kick Scott....

But Go Matttttttty

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 07:59 PM
Our missing in action man Greg has surfaced. He says after his last update some feral South fan grabbed his phone and threw it onto the stadium. Now he has a broken phone. A busted screen and a battery he needs to hold in.

Sorry Greg. But I'm glad we won. We'll all treat you through the season to make up mate. Starting Round 1 in The Legion.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 08:01 PM
And no it wasn't Russell Crowe.

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 08:08 PM
Hey was it 22-28 or 16-28?

timor 2
20-02-10, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the update Brad,helen,cam and greg sorry to hear about your phone Greg... but the updates made it easy for us who are not able to listen to the game..

Cheers Sean

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 08:37 PM
Oh thanks heaps greg dreadfully sorry bout your your phone just 5 days ago this dumb kid threw my ipod in the main river i hate that kid hahah i know how you feel. what is your domain name

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 08:42 PM
28 to 22..................

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 08:51 PM
Thanks Diehard time to tell my eargerely awaiting dad.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 09:27 PM
Courier Mail is Johnny on the spot with a match review.

Scott Prince gives Gold Coast Titans edge over Rabbitohs

THE finesse of Scott Prince guided the Gold Coast to a 28-22 victory over the new-look South Sydney in Coffs Harbour.

The Titans scored five-tries-to-four with halfback Prince and new recruit Greg Bird combining strongly as the club's new playmaking platform.

But the red and green era under new coach John Lang appeared full of promise as a second-string Rabbitohs pack out-muslced the Titans in the opening half.

As the national anthem played prior to kickoff, it was impossible to miss the imposing figures of Roy Asotasi, Michael Crocker, Sam Burgess, Dave Taylor and Ben Ross all standing in casual club attire.

None of the Rabbitohs new-look gun forward pack took part in last night's loss. And five-eighth John Sutton has only been ripping into full contact training for the past fortnight.

"All of our players are a bit underdone, Johnny Sutton has only been back at training for two weeks and we had quite a few blokes who didn't actually get to the game," Lang said.

"That's going to be our challenge early in the season. A number of our experienced players are going to come in with not a great off season behind them but I think it gave us a base tonight to work off."

After initially naming new recruits Burgess and Taylor, Lang opted to rest the duo last night but said the entire Rabbitohs roster with the exception of Michael Crocker would be available for next Saturday night's Charity Shield at ANZ Stadium.

NFL hall of fame legend Michael Irvin made a surprise appearance in the Rabbitohs dressing room as part of an extravagant motivational package put together by Souths owner Russell Crowe.

New coach Lang opted to play an entirely new-look side lined with rookies for the second 40 minutes, when Prince and Bird did the damage.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright followed a similar game plan with his roster, resting the majority of his stars to start the second half before bringing back his top-line forward pack for the final 20 minutes.

The Rabbitohs made their intentions clear from the opening set when wide-running backrower Eddy Pettybourne whacked Gold Coast Titan Mark Minichiello with a vicious right shoulder.

The play set the tone for Souths to unveil a new defensive pattern, with the red and green roster rushing off the line at speed and hitting on suspicion. It is a system that had defensive coach Gorden Tallis stamped all over it.

With five months at the helm since Jason Taylor was sacked, the changes under Lang were subtle but smooth. The attack was more open to interpretation than structured around hard and fast rules.

The often-maligned halves pairing of Chris Sandow and Sutton appeared to demonstrate cooler heads under pressure, with the cheeky halfback dubbed the Aboriginal version of Alfie Langer showing some classy, off-the-top-of-his-head touches in the opening half.

A midfield chip and chase from the Rabbitohs no.7 had shades of vintage Langer all over it, Sandow regathering and kicking again for centre Beau Champion before Titan Esi Tonga intervened and raced 60m down field.

After dictating terms early courtesy of their new defensive structure, the Rabbitohs eventually cracked the Titans when Sandow held up a pass for hooker Isaac Luke who hit and spun from 10m out for the opening try.

GOLD COAST 28 (M Rogers C Toopi R Brown S Prince W Zillman tries S Prince 4 goals) bt SOUTH SYDNEY 22 (L Capewell 2 I Luke J Vaivai tries C Sandow 2 A Reynolds goals) at BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour. Crowd: 5500.

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

quinn loves titans
20-02-10, 09:58 PM
Awesome info i swear nrl and foxsports pick on titans they never put out a full report on their games.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 10:12 PM
It probably takes a bit longer to get the news and vision from trial games to being on air in comparisons to an NRL Premiership game.

I hope to see some vision on Fox Sports News soon.

titansrawesome
20-02-10, 10:32 PM
i'm ready to laugh in those doubters and haters of the "pretty new boy" titans this year. If you have read the weekly adjudicator's verdict on foxsports.com.au you will see no one ever gives us a chance.

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 10:55 PM
Prince leads Titans to win over Souths

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright rated Scott Prince's combination with new five-eighth Greg Bird as the most pleasing aspect of his side's 28-22 NRL trial win over Souths at Coffs Harbour on Saturday night.

A week after playing for the Indigenous All Stars team, Prince showed the benefit of such a high standard hit-out early in the season by creating two tries with deftly weighted kicks to the left side before scoring on his own in the second half.

"I thought Bird grew as the game went on and Prince pulled the strings like he usually does," Cartwright said.

"That was probably the most pleasing aspect of the night the way those two worked with each other."

"I think when the games open up even more they'll be even more dangerous."

Souths coach John Lang opted for a second string forward pack, with Roy Asotasi, Michael Crocker, Dave Taylor and Sam Burgess all absent.

But the Rabbitohs forwards still more than held their own against an experienced Titans line-up.

Scores were level after 60 minutes before the Gold Coast scored two late tries in the space five minutes to give themselves enough breathing space over their plucky opponent.

New Souths coach John Lang admitted that he was impressed with the way the club's lesser lights handled themselves while making the step up to the top level.

"We had some young guys come on like John Kaifoto and he was coming off the bench for the Bears last year and quite a few of them made their debut at this level tonight and I thought it was a good step in the right direction," Lang said.

The crowd of 5,500 was brought to life by a Luke Capewell double but it was the controlling influence that Prince had over the Titans outfit that proved the difference between the two teams.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
20-02-10, 11:21 PM
Titans down Bunnies in Coffs

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans continued their winning pre-season form with a solid 28-22 victory over Souths at BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour tonight.

Before a crowd of 5,500, the Jetstar Titans recorded their second win of the pre-season following on from last weekend's 52-0 thrashing of an inexperienced Broncos outfit at Ipswich.

New recruits Riley Brown and Clinton Toopi both scored tries in their second appearances in Jetstar Titans colours while centres Mat Rogers and Joseph Tomane were also strong in the five-tries-to-four victory.

The Jetstar Titans led 10-6 at the halftime break and went on with the job in the second half, with captain Scott Prince leading his team through the entire 80 minutes in a new scrumbase combination with Greg Bird.

?It was nice to see the halves work well together,?? said Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright of the Prince-Bird combination.

?Rogers was good while he was out there, Tomane was good and the forwards did their job as they normally do.??

Prince described the performance overall as a little bit rusty but said it would give his side things to work on ahead of their final pre-season hit-out against North Queensland in Darwin next Saturday.

?We constructed a few good sets but overall I guess you would describe it a little bit rusty,?? said Prince, who was backing up after leading the Indigenous All Stars to victory last weekend.

Jetstar Titans winger Kevin Gordon delivered the first excitement of the night with an electric 60m run from his first touch with the football off a kick return in the opening minutes.

The Titans had other scoring chances soon after but were unable to turn those into points.

It was the Rabbitohs who put the first points on the board through hooker Isaac Luke. Halfback Chris Sandow added the extras for a 6-nil lead heading into the quarter time break.

Souths were denied further points when prop Luke Bailey pulled off a brilliant try saving tackle on fullback Luke Capewell.

Minutes later, centre Mat Rogers took advantage of a fortuitous bounce off a kick to score in the left corner, with Prince landing the conversion to level the scores at 6-all.

Rogers then put his body on the line and suffered a head knock in the process when denying centre Beau Champion close to the line.

A break downfield by flying Jetstar Titans winger David Mead then helped set up a try for Clinton Toopi in the left corner on the end of another successful cross kick.

The Rabbitohs hit back through Capewell to level the scores at 10-all but interchange hooker Riley Brown gave the Titans back the lead at 16-10 after scooting from dummy half to score.

Capewell notched his second try minutes later off a break by Jamie Simpson and Adam Reynolds converted to level at 16-all.

However, successive tries to Prince and Zillman helped the Jetstar Titans boot clear before a late consolation try to Souths? Junior Vaivai reduced the final margin to just six points.

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 28 (M Rogers, C Toopi, R Brown, S Prince, W Zillman tries; S Prince 4 goals) defeated South Sydney Rabbitohs 22 (L Capewell 2, I Luke, J Vaivai tries; C Sandow 2, A Reynolds 1 goal). Crowd 5500.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

karnage
20-02-10, 11:40 PM
"A midfield chip and chase from the Rabbitohs no.7 had shades of vintage Langer all over it, Sandow regathering and kicking again for centre Beau Champion before Titan Esi Tonga intervened and raced 60m down field."

Can somebody please confirm for me that this is correct. I did not know Esi was due back so soon. If this is right it is great news!!

helcam4
21-02-10, 05:12 PM
no it was kevie gordon, esi was a keen spectator,it was a amazing run ,he beat about 1000 guys.lol

DIEHARD
21-02-10, 05:59 PM
It's a bit hard to mistake Kevin for anyone.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
21-02-10, 09:22 PM
Hey guys sorry Some idiot decided to grab my phone when i was txting brrad and chucked my phone on the field...glad helen and cam could keep you updated...I have managed to get my phone replaced this arvo as soon as i got back into sydney for free because it was insured and the family optus bill is in creditt....So ill make sure i keep my phone in my pocket and keep you guys updated hopefully for the darwin game....

quinn loves titans
21-02-10, 09:50 PM
Hey sorry afgaing bout your phone is Diehard going up to darwin aswell?
?

shamus
22-02-10, 04:08 PM
I hope to see some vision on Fox Sports News soon.

Sorry Brad....No cameras to be seen. (Except for the bunnies, they had one cameraman of sorts there filming.)

shamus
22-02-10, 04:19 PM
I am unsure if anyone has created an injury list from the bunnies game so here goes with what I know.

Steve Rogers was knocked out with about 5 minutes to go leading into half time. But as he came back on late in the game he must be OK.

Nathan Friend was replaced by Riley Brown at half time who in turn was replaced again by Nathan with 5 to go due to a leg injury. It didn't appear too serious as although he was limping the next day he had no strapping of any sort.

Will Mathews has a black eye and stitches so I assume will be rested for the trial in Darwin.

Jordan Atkins has one serious leg brace on and looks like he will be missing for a while.

shamus
22-02-10, 05:30 PM
I should reword this (Jordan Atkins injury) as leg brace maybe the wrong term. I have no idea as to how to describe it but it was a heavily padded thingo that went from groin to knee.

But it didn't look good.

lonegull
22-02-10, 06:54 PM
my thoughts on this game

Tomane looked dangerous and was great in defence he aslo seemed to form a great partnership with Mead, they looked dangerous

Zillman was electric when introduced seems to have his confidence back and also that speed

Minichello made a lot of mistakes with his ball handling will need to work on it a bit, he was trying to hard to break free in tackles to offload and made a couple of handling mistakes

Bailey was great upfront and was back to his oldself leading from the front

Riley Brown was a bit of a shock really impressed me with his work around the rucks and was creative could be an option for carty for a bench spot

Shannon walker still lacks confidence to hold down a regular first grade spot, didnt attack the ball like zillman and mead and missed a tackle to let souths score ( he actually didnt even try to make a tackle it was like he let the bloke run straight past him)

Finally Greg bird was solid and seemed to start working well with prince needs more game to with prince you could see that they havent played together before

Final thoughts out of the game, Tomane really impressed me with both attack and defence and looks like he is ready for a big year, it was great to see bailey leading from the front and really pushing his troops, Zillman was the one that caught the eye watch out he is back to the form he had when at the raiders goign to have a big year

quinn loves titans
22-02-10, 07:00 PM
Good replies mate not shockded about zillman he was great at the end of last year.Come on princey hahah nah but him and greg brid will come good come start of season and look to tomane making the team over esi and toopi ive meade my decision :)

shamus
23-02-10, 08:58 AM
Nathan Friend was replaced by Riley Brown at half time who in turn was replaced again by Nathan with 5 to go due to a leg injury. It didn't appear too serious as although he was limping the next day he had no strapping of any sort.

OK...I wasn't even close. It was Ben Ridge and Not Riley who was limping the next day.

Sorry for the confusion..

....and Lonegull pretty well summed up everything. Shannon definately is still not ready to be in 1st grade. If it wasn't for Bailey another rabbit would have slipped past him and gone under the posts. As for Bird, I thought he did OK. He did have the opportunity to pass to Mead early and I have no doubt it would have been a 50 metre run under the posts but he left it too late and by the time he passed rabbits were everywhere. But that's all I can bag him for, other than that all went well.

Ryan
23-02-10, 09:41 AM
I am unsure if anyone has created an injury list from the bunnies game so here goes with what I know.

Steve Rogers was knocked out with about 5 minutes to go leading into half time. But as he came back on late in the game he must be OK.

Steve Rogers?
Never had the pleasure of watching him play before he passed. But I heard Matt Rogers recovered ok from his concussion ;)

TITAN PETE
23-02-10, 10:48 AM
Steve Rogers?
Never had the pleasure of watching him play before he passed. But I heard Matt Rogers recovered ok from his concussion ;)

Steve Rogers was 1 of the best centres i've ever seen but don't pick on poor Old Shamus as his name would indicate the man likes a Drink :drinkies:

shamus
23-02-10, 03:39 PM
Steve Rogers?

oops........

I did. :p

shamus
23-02-10, 03:40 PM
Steve Rogers was 1 of the best centres i've ever seen but don't pick on poor Old Shamus as his name would indicate the man likes a Drink :drinkies:

Thanks for watching my back.......in a roundabout way..:)

shamus
23-02-10, 03:54 PM
oh........and it seems I was wrong (again) about no TV cameras. I only saw a Rabbits camera in action but evidently there was one on my right I didn't see. Bloody hell, I should have saved my money and backed a few horses instead of posting all my dribble on here at Hotel Internet rates..:doh:

quinn loves titans
23-02-10, 04:24 PM
Haahahah yeh um lets not give you a drink again:P

DIEHARD
23-02-10, 04:52 PM
CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO OF SOUTHS VS TITANS TRIAL ON TITANS TV (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=22779)

shamus
23-02-10, 05:11 PM
OK...I wasn't even close. It was Ben Ridge and Not Riley who was limping the next day.

Sorry for the confusion..

....and Lonegull pretty well summed up everything. Shannon definately is still not ready to be in 1st grade. If it wasn't for Bailey another rabbit would have slipped past him and gone under the posts. As for Bird, I thought he did OK. He did have the opportunity to pass to Gordon early and I have no doubt it would have been a 50 metre run under the posts but he left it too late and by the time he passed rabbits were everywhere. But that's all I can bag him for, other than that all went well.

There I go dribbling again...

patskE
23-02-10, 10:03 PM
jsut watched the highlights
how didnt gordon score that run away try? lol, got chased down some how
brown looked good aye.

didnt think gordon was playing :S?

Sydney Titans Fanatic
23-02-10, 10:30 PM
he got put into the squad maybe seeing heno wasnt playing thought they would give him a run

Coaster
24-02-10, 12:24 PM
CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO OF SOUTHS VS TITANS TRIAL ON TITANS TV (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=22779)

I can not get past the first 2 min of this video, anyone else having this issue?

Nevermind i got it working, Brown looks good i have to add him to the depth thread