PDA

View Full Version : NRL All-Stars vs Indigenous All-Stars Match (Skilled Park, Gold Coast)

Pages : [1] 2

DIEHARD
05-03-09, 12:44 PM
Coast to host Dream Team game

THE Gold Coast's Skilled Park will stage the National Rugby League's proposed new showpiece, an annual clash between an indigenous Dream Team and the NRL All Stars.

"This will be a yearly, one-off event as big as State of Origin," said Titans managing director Michael Searle, who unveiled the bold new concept to the game's top administrators in Sydney yesterday.

"This is a game that will allow indigenous Australians to represent their people. The All Stars will be the best of the best in the NRL.

"The clash will be held each year on the eve of Australia Day and at stake will be the Reconciliation Cup."

Searle said that he and the NRL's Player Welfare Manager Matt Francis had been working on the proposal for about 12 months.

"I have been working on the business model and Matty has been lobbying the players," he said.

"This has the potential to bring major new revenue into the game. It also something that is being driven by the indigenous players and I have no doubt that the players from both sides will embrace it."

Searle was part of a meeting of NRL CEO's yesterday and said the idea was warmly welcomed by all at the meeting.

He will now present a formal proposal to the NRL within two months, but is hopeful the Reconciliation Cup will be given the green light for January 25, 2010.

He said his blueprint would ask for the match to be held at Skilled Park for the first five years.

"The biggest challenge that we will face will be that the event will be head-hunted by Sydney and Melbourne," said Searle.

"But I would hope that since we have championed this idea that it will be retained in Queensland.

"I have no doubt Channel Nine would televise the event and the sponsorship and merchandise opportunities would be huge.

"This will be as popular and as sought after as Origin."

The plan is for the Reconciliation Cup to be the culmination of the community carnivals, which are already held throughout Australia by the NRL and promote healthy lifestyles.

Already behind the concept are indigenous league stars Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis and the Titans Preston Campbell, who captained the indigenous team at the recent World Cup, describing that as his proudest moment in the game.

The indigenous team would have a 'dream' backline including the likes of Thurston, Inglis, Scott Prince, Justin Hodges and Matt Bowen. Forward power would include Origin players Carl Webb and Sam Thaiday.

Thurston yesterday said all players he had spoken to were enthusiastic.

"To represent our people on an historic occasion in such a big game ... all the indigenous boys are right behind it and it is player driven," he said.

"Definitely it has the potential to be as big as Origin. There is some amazing (indigenous) talent out there and to see them all in the one side, the fans would love it."

Thurston said there was no problem with the timing of the game.

"By January 25 the boys would have been training since November, so no it's not too early."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
05-03-09, 12:47 PM
This concept is absolutely tremendous, I was at the one at the World Cup kick off in Sydney and it was an amazing game and an amazing atmosphere. Many thousands of fans obviously made the trek out specially for the game and there was hundreds of aboriginal and maori jerseys and flags around.

I'm so confident that the Gold Coast will embrace this concept and that it will bring new revenue, fans and acclaim to the game.

This will be an Australia day tradition. I think sport can break down a lot of barriers and I'm sure this will be played and supported in the right spirit.

quins rl
05-03-09, 12:55 PM
Seems a very good idea.I haved asked this before but what qualifies a player as "indigenous",how far back do they go ?

Ryan
05-03-09, 01:02 PM
Seems a very good idea.I haved asked this before but what qualifies a player as "indigenous",how far back do they go ?
Good point, we really don't want any elegibilty loop holes in this one I hope they draw a clear line.

Can't wait for this, it'll be better than any International Test match.

Steve
05-03-09, 01:55 PM
I'd say if you can qualify for abstudy you can qualify for the dream team!

Not really sure what it is though. 1/8? 1/16?

Should be a great game, I'd love to see it become a regular fixture.

DIEHARD
05-03-09, 04:05 PM
I'm so proud of Michael, Paul and the Titans for suggesting and champion such innovative concepts.

Can anyone think of an example of a club champion such an issue of this magnitude and taking it under their wing? I struggle to think of an example over the last couple of decades...

We need it to be on the Coast so we can develop it into a marque event with the way we embrace the game and the capacity crowds. From there it would be a highly sort after fixture that could rove around and be bid on.

Whose to say that the TV rights can't be sold to a network outside the rugby league sphere? I'm not sure where a game like this would fall into the current TV obligations. I'd say it would be a free agent.

So the All-Stars team could have islanders, kiwis, poms and other nationals as well.

GO THE ALL-STARS!!! No... go the Dreamtime Team! No go both! Where do I buy the tickets and the jerseys, I'm there!

dee13
05-03-09, 04:54 PM
This is a great concept.

I am also eligible to be the Dreamtime team mascot by the way. Im 1/8th and I got Abstudy at school. Just putting it out there just incase Michael is reading.:D

Diehard... The Dreamtime team jerseys from the world cup are still on sale at Rebel if you are keen. They are a stunning jersey.

Paul
05-03-09, 05:07 PM
I'm excited about this!

DIEHARD
06-03-09, 07:54 AM
We could definitely get a sell out with all the people of the Gold Coast and Titans fans behind it. The media would be behind it in print, radio and television.

We can also promote it in SEQLD taking in Brisbane, Toowoomba and Ipswich, trying to get as many new people to this game as well. Invite and host indigenous community groups.

Have a series of other events and displays of cultural significance.

This match would bring so many new people to our game through interest and attention. We all know how valuable rugby league role models are to indigenous children, imagine a super star team.! That's a role model for anyone of any background.

Having a game of this class at the beginning of the game would also be a shot in the arm of our game when it needs it, at the start of the year when things are sluggish and the only real fixtures we have are the Charity Shield and World Club Challenge.

Blunt_Beno
09-03-09, 06:06 PM
been wanting to see this happen for a long time, cant wait. i reckon the dream team will be a very talented attacking team.

DIEHARD
09-03-09, 08:08 PM
been wanting to see this happen for a long time, cant wait. i reckon the dream team will be a very talented attacking team.

It would be mouth watering. Both sides could field amazing teams. And the competitiveness will be a big draw card.

TITAN PETE
09-03-09, 09:32 PM
It will be exciting to be a part of even as a spectator :D

Blunt_Beno
10-03-09, 02:45 PM
it will be interestingto see what teams are fielded, as its gunna weaken the australian team, with the likes of thurston and inglis more then likely being in the dream team.

Steve
10-03-09, 03:37 PM
it will be interestingto see what teams are fielded, as its gunna weaken the australian team, with the likes of thurston and inglis more then likely being in the dream team.

But it won't be Australia they're playing, it'll be an NRL all star team. Plenty of kiwis to fill some roles and any Poms or whatever who happen to be playing over here.

Might even give some fringe players a bit of a run.

daveyk
10-03-09, 04:19 PM
i am very excited with the prospect of this time of game taking place and whats even better it will be in our own backyard.

bigger than origin?? i think so or atleast on par with it....

lets hope they can get it off the ground and make it happen
with searle behind it icant see any problems....

Blunt_Beno
10-03-09, 04:36 PM
But it won't be Australia they're playing, it'll be an NRL all star team. Plenty of kiwis to fill some roles and any Poms or whatever who happen to be playing over here.

Might even give some fringe players a bit of a run.

oh yeah thats true, didnt think about it like that haha. feel sorry for the selectors.

DIEHARD
03-04-09, 03:02 AM
Tears and spears every year: call for two tribes to go to war again

TEARY Titan Preston Campbell told his team of brothers that it was the highlight of his career - that it beat a Dally M award, his premiership ring and all those great football things.

Wests Tigers' Daine Laurie claimed local kids followed him around the streets of Yamba, asking him to scrawl his signature on their arms, for almost a week after the Dreamtime rugby league game last October.

It was an event indigenous footballers old and young, never expected. Playing in a team of footballers of Aboriginal descent against a New Zealand Maori team had been unimaginable for Campbell and Laurie before last year.

"No way, no way. I never thought it would happen," Laurie said. "[Aboriginal] knock-out, that's as far enough as I'd go with the group back up home. But nothing big.

"Playing in the NRL, that's all right - playing for your own people and with your people, I felt relief. It's pretty good."

When Laurie and his teammates' dreams came true, every emotional moment was captured by a fly-on-the-wall documentary crew - and the program, When Two Tribes Go To War, will screen this Sunday at 7.30pm on NITV and Foxtel. It also features Carl Webb, Rhys Wesser and Dean Widders.

The match was so successful, there have been calls for it to be held annually. But Dreamtime team manager Sol Bellear said that while there was huge support for an annual event, there were also some obstacles.

"I'm pushing as hard as hell for it," Bellear said. "At the moment, we are sort of up against it. The NRL clubs have got to release their players because of insurance, because of the money they invest in the players and all that, it's a difficult for them to do that. But, hopefully, I'm aware the Gold Coast Titans are trying to get an annual thing together they want to host. A letter has gone out to all the CEOs of the [NRL] clubs to have an Aboriginal side on the 25th of January each year.

"The Titans want to host it. It's something that may eventuate."

The game was played as a curtain-raiser to the World Cup last year and produced one of the most stirring scenes ever witnessed on a rugby league field.

When the Kiwi haka was screamed at the Australian players, it resulted in spears being stuck into the ground at the toes of the Maori players. "I thought I'd smack one of them," Laurie said "They tried to get real close. They tried to scare us. But that ain't going to work with us. No way in the world. They'd have to try a bit better than that."

Laurie said the match left an indelible impression on him and his people. "I was over the moon playing in that team," he said. "Every single person was asking for a spare guernsey. They haven't even asked me for a Tigers guernsey yet. I lost my auntie back up there in Yamba on Friday. I went home for the funeral and everyone is still asking for the guernsey for the Dreamtime side."

Bellear said the week was highly emotional and highlighted the importance of community spirit. "The emotion, it even continues on to today. People pull you aside and still talk to you about that game. Preston Campbell, he is one that hides his emotions but amongst all the brothers, he really let it slip."

[B]Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

DIEHARD
28-04-09, 07:29 AM
Plan for indigenous champs to play NRL all-stars

CLUBS will be asked today to throw their support behind plans to pit the game's indigenous stars against the rest of the NRL in a special event to be played each year on the eve of Australia Day.

The idea, inspired by Gold Coast player Preston Campbell and mooted by Titans chief executive Michael Searle, has the support of the game's highest-profile indigenous players, including Melbourne centre Greg Inglis and North Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston.

The concept will be discussed at today's meeting of chief executives in Sydney and Searle is hopeful it will be given the green light, with the inaugural game to be played next year.

Although the concept is in its infancy, Searle has put together a business plan and believes it could generate more than $2 million in revenue within three years.

Given the parlous financial position of many clubs, it represents a significant windfall for the game.

Next year's inaugural match would be played on the Gold Coast and that region is likely to be the venue for the foreseeable future, giving the Titans an important strategic advantage over the AFL, which will have a side based on the tourist strip from 2011.

Searle believes it could prove so popular it may eventually be put out to tender.

"It came about following a discussion I had with Preston Campbell after last year's World Cup," Searle said.

"He made an off-the-cuff remark where he said representing your country is one thing, but representing your people, that's special.

"He would love to be able to represent his people again. I think it's a really good way to celebrate the great contribution indigenous Australians make to our game."

To alleviate the load on clubs, Searle is proposing each NRL side provide one player only for the all-stars team.

That in itself could create some headaches when it comes to team selection.
Imagine choosing between Melbourne pair Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.

Although selecting the team would prove an unenviable task, the prospect of pairing players such as Benji Marshall with Darren Lockyer in the halves would be mouth-watering, as would the idea of re-uniting former Bulldogs teammates Roy Asotasi and Steve Price in the front row.

The indigenous side would include players such as Matt Bowen, Wendell Sailor, Inglis, Thurston and Scott Prince.

Searle has toyed with the idea of allowing the public to have a hand by casting votes for players, much like the NFL and NBA do in the US with its all-star game.

The Titans chief executive has already broached the concept with the game's highest-profile indigenous players and it has their backing.

"We have talked to Johnathan Thurston, we have talked to Greg Inglis, we have talked to Preston Campbell. They will give it 100per cent support," Searle said.

The concept has attracted the interest of broadcasters.

"What the submission will say is we will ask the NRL to put the annual community carnival on the week before," Searle said.

"The NRL all-stars would then be out in the community all week leading into the game. The game would then be played on the eve of Australia Day."

Source: http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
30-04-09, 03:30 PM
Aboriginal Dream Team match

A TITANS plan to stage an Aboriginal Dream Team v NRL All Stars Test at Skilled Park in January 2010 was not only a coup for indigenous Australians but would help reclaim Australia Day for the Gold Coast.

Titans managing director Michael Searle yesterday won unanimous support from fellow NRL CEOs for the plan, which he believes would grow into State of Origin-like status.

But just as importantly, Searle believes the game, to be played on or on the eve of Australia Day, would help reclaim that day for families in this city.

This year's Australia Day celebrations on the Coast were marred by unruly behaviour by hordes of young revellers.

Titans news, photo galleries
More NRL news

"The Gold Coast needs family friendly events on and around Australia Day instead of the debacle we had this year," said Searle. "Our community needs events around Australia Day to separate the families from the hoons."

Searle's proposal will today go before the Australian Rugby League's Indigenous Council.

"Subject to their approval we're are in full swing and planning the event for 2010," he said. "I am hopeful it will be on the Gold Coast but I do have to approach the Queensland Government to seek support.

"All profits will be going back into education and welfare programs. We are hoping to funnel substantial funds (possibly $2 million) into not only indigenous but also community programs."

NRL boss David Gallop is cautiously optimistic about the proposal but has concerns over player workload.

"It's certainly an exciting opportunity but it's a very packed program for our elite players and we need to be conscious of that as well," said Gallop, before adding that the NRL was keen to find a way for indigenous players to pay homage to their heritage.

"One thing we know for sure is our players are very proud of their heritage and we need to provide opportunities for them to show that pride," he said.

Despite concerns that some clubs would oppose the possibility of putting their stars on show, and at risk of injury in an additional match, there was plenty of support from other sides in the NRL.

"Anything that can promote the game and promote indigenous people, I'm a fan of it," said Sharks chief Tony Zappia.

Yet it's the support from the players themselves which will determine the success of such a concept. On that front Preston Campbell, an advocate of the plan and captain of the Australian Indigenous team at last year's World Cup, need not worry.

Test stars' Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis are among those to have already made contact and Manly captain Matt Orford says the Titans fullback will get his support.

"(Preston) has got some great ideas and he's a great ambassador for the indigenous people," said Orford.

dee13
30-04-09, 03:33 PM
I vote that all 17 players wear Preston Campbell replica headgear, Nathan Merrit boots and Thurston mouthguards for the match.:eyebrows:

kwigibo
30-04-09, 04:45 PM
1 player from each team is tricky. Maybe with a 17th from ESL or u20's.

Gidley
Hayne
Cooper
Monaghan
El Masri
Lockyer
Cronk
Fitzgibbon
Laffranchi
Price
Farah
Civoniceva

Watmough
Asotasi
O'Donnell
17th man

Dream Time Team tricky in the forwards, any guys in NYC or QLD cup?

Bowen
Sailor
Inglis
Hodges
Merrit
Thurston
Prince
Webb
Campbell
Learoyd-Lahrs
Daine Laurie
Thaiday
Idris

Sandow
Soward
Moon
Tonga

Coaster
30-04-09, 04:49 PM

Gidley
Hayne
Cooper
Monaghan
El Masri
Lockyer
Cronk
Fitzgibbon
Laffranchi
Price
Farah
Civoniceva

Watmough
Asotasi
O'Donnell
17th man

Bowen
Sailor
Inglis
Hodges
Merrit
Thurston
Prince
Webb
Campbell
Learoyd-Lahrs
Daine Laurie
Thaiday
Idris

Sandow
Soward
Moon
Tonga
I like it!!

although i think i would change 2 positions

Gidley
Hayne
Cooper
Monaghan
El Masri
Lockyer
Benji
Fitzgibbon
Laffranchi
Price
Smith
Civoniceva

kwigibo
30-04-09, 09:35 PM
I like it!!

although i think i would change 2 positions

Gidley
Hayne
Cooper
Monaghan
El Masri
Lockyer
Benji
Fitzgibbon
Laffranchi
Price
Smith
Civoniceva

Yeah, it's a tempting option, but I'd rather a 3rd choice HB and 2nd choice hooker to no halfback at all ;)

Boofhead
30-04-09, 10:20 PM
Dreamtime Team
1. Matt Bowen
2. Wendell Sailor
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Nathan Merritt
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Scott Prince
8. Carl Webb
9. Preston Campbell (c)
10. Corey Paterson
11. Tom Learoyd-Lars
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Jamal Idris

14. Beau Champion
15. Daine Laurie
16. Willie Tonga
17. Rhys Wesser

All Stars
1. Kurt Gidley
2. Joel Monaghan
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Colin Best
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Benji Marshall
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. David Stagg

14. Willie Mason
15. Anthony Topou
16. Aaron Payne
17. (Rookie of the year?)

kwigibo
30-04-09, 11:17 PM

Gidley
Hayne
Cooper
Monaghan
El Masri
Lockyer
Cronk
Fitzgibbon
Tupou
Laffranchi
Price
Farah
Civoniceva

Watmough
Asotasi
O'Donnell
17th man

Bowen
Sailor
Inglis
Hodges
Merrit
Thurston
Prince
Webb
Campbell
Learoyd-Lahrs
Daine Laurie
Thaiday
Idris

Sandow
Soward
Moon
Tonga

Forgot my Sharks player.

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 07:07 PM
A fitting way to pay homage to our indigenous magicians
Phil Gould

I love the plan to stage an annual rugby league match between the Aboriginal Dreamtime team and an NRL All Stars side. The proposal has real merit and should be an absolute must on the Australian Rugby League calendar.

This inspired suggestion is the brainchild of Gold Coast Titans chief executive Michael Searle. He wants the clash to be played annually at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast for the first four years and then have other cities and stadiums around the country tender for the right to host the event.

The Dreamtime team was a huge hit when they played an exhibition match during last year's World Cup against New Zealand Maori.

The All Stars team would comprise a player from each of the 16 NRL teams, and be selected by the fans on phone and website polls. The 17th player in the squad would be an invitational selection from Papua New Guinea's Kumuls team.

Initially Searle wanted some kind of mid-range representative fixture to be played on the Gold Coast to combat the competition the game is experiencing from rival codes in the area, but the involvement of the Dreamtime team has given the concept a new direction.

Searle said: "I have disclosed my vested interest that we as a club had to come up with an idea to block the build-up in 2010 and 2011 of AFL on the Gold Coast ? this is it - it will be a sell-out, no doubt."

An annual fixture such as this should attract huge interest from all sections of the community and business world. I also suspect we could approach the Federal Government to support such a match.

Kevin Rudd has said he is looking for indigenous programs such as this to assist with the unification of the Australian people. The Government gives $250,000 to help expand and develop the game among the indigenous population. I am very positive we could get good federal funding for such a game - especially when we include PNG in the All Stars side.

Perhaps we could even get the prime minister of the day to select the Dreamtime team each year in much the same way that he selects the Prime Minister's XI in cricket for their annual one-day match in Canberra against touring nations.

In terms of television rights, Channel Nine boss David Gyngell told me this week: "I think [an annual clash between the Dreamtime team and an All Stars team] is an outstanding idea.

"The thought of the fans getting involved to pick the All Stars team has tremendous appeal from a marketing sense. Provided the match was staged at the right time of year, Channel Nine would be very interested in broadcasting the game and I would be prepared to pay a rights fee for the privilege."

All 16 NRL chief executives gave 100 per cent support to the proposal. The ARL Indigenous Council - which includes William "Smiley" Johnstone, Sol Bellear and Larry Corowa as members - believed it would be a good way to show unity.

Searle also believed that, with a sell-out crowd, corporate support and potential media funding, the annual event would be highly profitable. He said: "We will earn $2 million from the event, of which $100,000 per club will go back to their educational and community programs, with an additional $400,000 [going] back into programs independent of the NRL."

Financial considerations aside, this match would also be a tremendous opportunity to highlight and promote the wonderful contributions that Aboriginal players have made to our game.

So much is written and spoken of the growing Polynesian influence in today's game, which has proven to be a real enhancement to the sport. Where the Polynesians are renowned for their size, strength and power in the collision, the Aboriginal footballer plays with skill, speed and unique instincts. They are players of great anticipation and finesse.

I used to marvel at the ball-playing talents of an Arthur Beetson; the silky smoothness of a David Peachey; the sixth sense of the mercurial Cliff Lyons. Andrew Walker was a player of unique natural talent. I loved his football. I played with a man called Ray Blacklock, the uncle of the more recent Nathan Blacklock. They were identical-style players of great awareness, speed and the special ability to take advantage of the talents of those around them.

None of the players I've mentioned could be harnessed in conventional structures or game plans. They were free spirits; capable of anything at any time. Their unpredictability and brilliance is what draws the crowd to them. They are true entertainers.

Aboriginal links with rugby league are longstanding and the community has produced some of the greatest names the game can boast. In 2001 the Indigenous Rugby League Team of the Century (2001) was named [see table]. You couldn't fit that lot under a salary cap!

An annual clash involving the Dreamtime team would undoubtedly represent great inspiration to all Aboriginal kids and show them that rugby league can offer a great career path for the dedicated athlete. In 2008 it was estimated the participation rate of NRL players with indigenous heritage was more than 11 per cent. I see no greater accolade for these players than to be chosen in their own team.

A Dreamtime versus All Stars clash would be a great way to open the rugby league season each year.

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

DIEHARD
16-07-09, 06:00 AM
The clubs also gave their support to the concept of a game between an Indigenous Dreamtime team and an NRL All-Stars team on the Gold Coast in February, while the National Youth Competition will remain exclusively an under-20s competition at least until the end of 2011.

http://www.smh.com.au/

Terribly exciting and fresh concept for rugby league which has so much to offer. Wow I really can not wait for this!

There are so many great aspects to this.

1. It's on the Coast! Great for us and the battle for hearts and minds
2. We can see some unique combinations with English, Kiwi, Pacific and Aussie players
3. Indigenous players will have a regular jersey to shoot for and expand on the fantastic match from the World Cup. Which was so well received by the public and government.
4. Increases the game's community activities and resources
5. Sell out crowd and party atmosphere.
6. A new tradition around Australia Day
7. An exciting rugby league event in a part of the year that is really flat rugby leaguewise.
8. New TV product and when the Coast is done with it, it can be taken on the road.
9. And much much more. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
15-08-09, 07:09 PM
Melbourne looks to snatch DreamTime match from Gold Coast

NEXT season's inaugural match between the Indigenous DreamTime team and an NRL All Stars line-up could be played in Melbourne after interest from the southern capital to snatch it away from Gold Coast.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle, who is driving plans to stage the annual clash on February 13 to commemorate the anniversary of Kevin Rudd's national apology for the Stolen Generation, made the revelation on the eve of this weekend's Close The Gap round.

A meeting of NRL club chief executives the day of Origin III all but committed to playing the charity match from next year, but Searle said a decision on where it would be held was yet to be made.

''We are working hard towards 2010 being the inaugural year for the match, and we're in discussions and negotiations with the Queensland Government at the moment to see if it can be played in Queensland,'' he said.

''I'm still hoping that will be the case but we also have expressions of interest from Victoria and expressions of interest from NSW and, given that all of the money made from the game is going to be given to indigenous charities, we have a responsibility not to undersell it.''

The idea for the fixture came from the curtain-raiser to last year's opening World Cup match, in which the DreamTime team played NZ Maori before the Kangaroos-Kiwis clash. Many of the Australian players of Aboriginal heritage expressed a desire to represent their people as well as their country.

According to a survey of NRL players undertaken last month, 10.9 per cent, or 47 players, in its clubs full-time squads are indigenous.

That figure is slightly higher in the NYC under-20s competition.

''This is clearly a massive event,'' Searle said. ''I believe that rugby league has the highest number of indigenous players in Australian sport on a per capita basis. Imagine the players that will be involved.''

Under the model being considered for the selection of the teams, the public will have some input and it is proposed that the All Stars team would comprise of one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs, either including or in addition to the Australian and New Zealand captains in the end-of-season Four Nations tournament.

There is also a suggestion to invite a Papua New Guinea player.

The indigenous team would feature some of the biggest stars in the NRL, with St George Illawarra's Jamie Soward - the favourite to win this season's player of the year award - likely to have to settle for a place on the bench at best.

Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston, centres Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges and second-rower Sam Thaiday are certain selections, while the likes of Matt Bowen, Scott Prince and Nathan Merritt would also be expected to feature in an All Star back line.

Fitting the likes of Preston Campbell, Jamal Idris and Willie Tonga into the side could result in a number of positional changes, but the indigenous team would also be able to field a strong forward pack, with Carl Webb, Daine Laurie and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs all eligible.

''We are going to be able to come up with a very competitive side and there is already a lot of talk about who would be in and who will miss out,'' said NRL welfare manager Matt Francis, who was manager of the DreamTime team last year.

''AFL always claims to be the indigenous game but 60 per cent of the indigenous population lives in NSW and Queensland and we've got more indigenous people playing our game than AFL.''

Francis said that 20,000 people attended an Aboriginal tournament at Tweed Heads earlier this year and that some communities had already booked buses for the February 13 match, even though a venue had yet to be decided and the game was yet to be formally announced.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
15-08-09, 07:19 PM
This is ideal for the All-Stars V Dreamtime game.

They wanted to create a brand new and powerful event. And wanted to have a bidding process for regions to maximise support and funds.

The first few years should be held at the Gold Coast. We will put the event in good stead. From that there are heaps of locations which would be ideal. Victoria with their new stadium would be ideal. And it would be a sweetner from a rugby league prospective for us to promote the game in Victoria.

The voting process will add some much build up and excitement. Spark so many debates around the water coolers and lounge rooms. It would be a big buzz, especially at a time of the year when we are starving for footy.

I hope NRL Members get a window to buy tickets.

DIEHARD
22-09-09, 11:46 PM
NRL superstars set to collide on Coast

The Gold Coast will make rugby league history next season when Skilled Park hosts the inaugural match between the Indigenous DreamTime team and an NRL All Stars.

The official announcement will be made tomorrow at Robina as NRL stars Benji Marshall, Johnathan Thurston, Preston Campbell and North Queensland coach Neil Henry gather to launch the event, to be held on February 13 each year as a mark of commemoration for Kevin Rudd's apology to indigenous Australians.

Melbourne had made a play for the event but Skilled Park, home of the Gold Coast Titans, will now be the stage for a contest that will feature the game's biggest names, making it the football equivalent of an NBA All Star game with a deeper message.

Titans managing director Michael Searle was a leading proponent for the game and had been campaigning the Queensland Government to make a bid for the event.

"This is clearly a massive event," Searle told the Sydney Morning Herald last month. "I believe that rugby league has the highest number of indigenous players in Australian sport on a per capita basis. Imagine the players that will be involved."

The idea for the fixture came from the curtain-raiser to last year's opening World Cup match, in which the DreamTime team played NZ Maori before the Kangaroos-Kiwis clash. Many of the Australian players of Aboriginal heritage expressed a desire to represent their people as well as their country.

According to a survey of NRL players undertaken last month, 10.9 per cent, or 47 players, in its clubs full-time squads are indigenous. That figure is slightly higher in the NYC under-20s competition.

Under the model being considered for the selection of the teams, the public will have some input and it is proposed that the All Stars team would comprise of one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs, either including or in addition to the Australian and New Zealand captains in the end-of-season Four Nations tournament.

There is also a suggestion to invite a Papua New Guinea player.

The indigenous team would feature some of the biggest stars in the NRL, with St George Illawarra's Jamie Soward likely to have to settle for a place on the bench at best.

Australian halfback Thurston, centres Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges and second-rower Sam Thaiday are certain selections, while the likes of Matt Bowen, Scott Prince and Nathan Merritt would also be expected to feature in an All Star back line.

Fitting the likes of Preston Campbell, Jamal Idris and Willie Tonga into the side could result in a number of positional changes, but the indigenous team would also be able to field a strong forward pack, with Carl Webb and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs both eligible.

Possible Indigenous DreamTime team

Fullback: Preston Campbell (Titans)

Wing: Nathan Merritt (Rabbitohs)

Centre: Greg Inglis (Storm)

Centre: Justin Hodges (Broncos)

Wing: Jamal Idris (Bulldogs)

Five-eighth: Scott Prince (Titans)

Halfback: Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)

Prop: Carl Webb (Cowboys)

Hooker: Travis Waddell (Raiders),

Prop: Sam Thaiday (Broncos)

Second row: Tom Learoyd-Lars (Raiders)

Second row: Cory Paterson (Knights)

Lock: Willie Tonga (Cowboys)

Possible reserves Jamie Soward (Dragons), George Rose (Sea Eagles), Daine Laurie (Tigers), Wendell Sailor (Dragons), Jharal Yow Yeh (Broncos)

DIEHARD
22-09-09, 11:49 PM
An abolutely fantastic concept in every department, it is magic!

Thank you thank you Michael and other lobbyists for making this a reality.

I am SO excited about this, it really is a big deal to me!

GCT_89
23-09-09, 12:26 AM
whos gonna step up to be the Dreamtime coach?

and also the All stars coach?

this is great for the Coast AND Nrl

DIEHARD
23-09-09, 12:54 AM
whos gonna step up to be the Dreamtime coach?

and also the All stars coach?

this is great for the Coast AND Nrl

Beetson would have to be a shoe in for the Dreamtime.

Maybe Wayne Bennett for All-Stars, those players would delight in being coached by the master. Not many get the opportunity to play at a Bennett coached club or representative team.

Nothing official yet, but great discussion and speculation to enjoy.

Steve
23-09-09, 07:23 AM
You'd have to bring Gus back for the All Stars. :D

Coaster
23-09-09, 07:26 AM
I heard on the roast one day Gus say that Searle was trying to convince him to do it.

I would say Gus, and i dont even like the bloke that much.

We need to get a massive crowd to that game, we be a great day

Steve
23-09-09, 07:39 AM
Like him or not, he's probably still the best coach of the modern era, and not camera shy like Bennett. The name All Stars implies some razzamatazz and he's definitely the man for it.

TITAN PETE
23-09-09, 10:45 AM
This will be Brilliant to watch & i'll definatley be there but there is a bloke named Jarrod Hayne that should be part of the Indigenous DreamTime team :doh:

As for the coaches it's gotta be Gus v Artie :fist:

Coaster
23-09-09, 01:59 PM
Turns out coaches are Bennett for the AS and Henry for the DT.

Not sure how they came to that choice

DIEHARD
23-09-09, 02:15 PM
You'd have to bring Gus back for the All Stars. :D

That would be awesome.

I'm sure there will be other assistant coaches and other support staff involved as well.

DIEHARD
23-09-09, 03:44 PM
Campbell to captain Indigenous All Stars
Adam Gardini

http://www.titans.com.au/site/_content/image/00004297-image.jpg

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans livewire Preston Campbell has been named as captain of the Indigenous All Stars team to play in the inaugural All Stars game at Skilled Park on February 13, 2010.

Indigenous All Stars captain Preston Campbell with New Zealand captain Benji Marshall and Australian representative Johnathan Thurston. The first ever National Rugby League All Stars game will kick-off the 2010 Rugby League season with a unique celebration of Rugby League?s diversity and of its role in the community.

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, today joined Kiwi captain Benji Marshall, 2008 Ken Stephen Medal winner Preston Campbell, Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston and Rugby League Indigenous Council Chairman Smiley Johnson to launch the first ever Indigenous All Stars v NRL All Stars team at the Gold Coast?s Skilled Park on February 13, 2010.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd also sent his message of support for the match, which will mark the second anniversary of Australia?s apology to the Stolen Generation.

The match will mark the first time that the public will actually select teams and will see Dragons coach Wayne Bennett in charge of the All Stars side with the Cowboys? Neil Henry coaching the Indigenous team.

?This is shaping up as one of the most spectacular showcases of playing talent the game has seen,? Mr Gallop said.

?Stars from every club will be represented in an atmosphere that will be unlike anything we have seen before.?

The All Stars concept was born from the passion of Ken Stephen Medal winner Preston Campbell, who wanted to build on the emotion that surrounded the Dream Time team that he captained during the Centenary World Cup opening ceremony.

?It meant a lot to all of us,? he said.

?The boys enjoyed playing together but the recognition and pride it brought to Indigenous communities was what really made it special.

?This match is a chance to bring everyone in the game even closer and it will be a lot of fun.?

Prime Minister Rudd said the All Stars game was a perfect way to capture the spirit of his apology to the Stolen Generation:

?The match reflects the way we can all work together to provide inspiration and opportunity in the years ahead.

?It is a celebration that should engage not only every Rugby League fan but the entire community.?

Proceeds from the All Stars game will be managed through Rugby League?s One Community programme and will directly target grass-roots Indigenous activities.

Mr Gallop added that the match reflected a game-wide commitment to celebrating the role of Indigenous athletes and of Rugby League?s community programmes:

?This game has attracted support from the Queensland Government and is the result of the enthusiasm and commitment of the NRL?s 16 clubs and the players who will represent them.

?Players will have the chance to really showcase their skills in the match and over a week of activities that will demonstrate how far Rugby League reaches into the community and of the important role it plays.

?And the fans will have the chance to decide which players they want to see play.

?All 16 clubs will be a part of Community Carnival activity in the lead-up to the match.

?The Community Carnival has formed an incredible tradition in Rugby League and the All Stars game will add an entirely new dimension.?

Details of how the public can vote for teams will be unveiled in coming weeks.

The All Stars sides will each boast 20-man squads, with 16 positions voted by the public through www.nrl.com.

The Rugby League Indigenous Council will select four of its team positions and, in recognition of his service to the Indigenous community and his passion for the Indigenous All Stars concept, Preston Campbell has been named ahead of an array of Premiership talent as the first player chosen and captain.

The public will decide 16 players with no restriction on which club the players are from, after which the Indigenous Council will announce its three remaining nominations to complete the 20-man squad.

The NRL All Stars team will include the Kangaroos Captain and Vice-Captain and the New Zealand Captain and Vice-Captain with the remaining 16 positions determined by the public vote. The prerequisite for the NRL All Stars is that one player from each NRL team must feature in the 16 voted by the public.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
23-09-09, 03:56 PM
I am really loving that this is now official and we are seeing some real details come out. This is really going to happen! Tnank you! A new arena of rugby league and one with heart and meaning.

I hope NRL members get a priority purchase period. Tickets for this would be popular.

The best part of this, much like Origins and Finals, is that in some ways the best part isn't just the match but the fun and build up. This build up will be enhanced through the voting, speculation and debate. :thumbsup:

Not just great for the Dreamtime v All-Stars game, but great for rugby league. It would do well, awakening everyone's hunger for rugby league at the very begining of the season.

And this will be Preston Campbell's lasting legacy to his people and his game. Well done Preston, this is big!

GCT_89
23-09-09, 05:54 PM
And this will be Preston Campbell's lasting legacy to his people and his game. Well done Preston, this is big!

and gives even more good reason for the Preston Statue i want put up outside the satadium one day (after his retirement)

A model player and person.....

does so much for his people, as well as being involved in getting this game started......

First Annual Indigenous NRL event @ Skilled Park.....
it just begs for a statue.....lol

DIEHARD
24-09-09, 11:48 AM
Campbell's concept an All Stars reality

GOLD Coast Titans livewire Preston Campbell will captain the Indigenous All Stars for the historic clash against the NRL All Stars to kick off season 2010 at Skilled Park.

NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday joined New Zealand captain Benji Marshall, Australia halfback Johnathan Thurston and Campbell at Robina to launch the highly-anticipated match on the Gold Coast on February 13.

The All Stars concept was born from the passion of Campbell, who first floated the idea to Titans managing director Michael Searle after captaining the Dream Time team at the World Cup opening ceremony last year.

"I just looked at how successful it was last year in the World Cup opener and how proud I was to play in an indigenous side," said Campbell.

"It meant a lot to all of us.

"The boys enjoyed playing together but the recognition and pride it brought to indigenous communities was what really made it special.

"I was champing at the bit to try to get another game like that and this one will be even better."

St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett will be in charge of the NRL side, with North Queensland Cowboys boss Neil Henry coaching the Indigenous All Stars.

Gallop said the game would coincide with the second anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the stolen generation.

"It will be great that rugby league will be involved in continuing to remember that very important day," he said.

Proceeds from the All Stars game will be managed through Rugby League's One Community program, and will directly target grass-roots indigenous activities.

"It is more than just a game to me," said Campbell. "We are going to be able to give back to the community."

The match will mark the first time the public will select teams. The All Stars sides will each boast 20-man squads.

The Rugby League Indigenous Council will select four of its team positions, with Campbell already named as captain, and the public will decide the other 16 players.

The NRL All Stars team will include the Kangaroos captain and vice-captain and the NZ captain and vice-captain with the remaining 16 positions determined by the public vote.

GThe prerequisite for the NRL All Stars is that one player from each NRL team must feature in the 16 voted by the public.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/09/24/140581_gold-coast-titans.html

dee13
24-09-09, 08:32 PM
If they could of had it any other day than that one.... **%@#^&**(%

I leave for Hawaii that day. Can someone record it for me.

DIEHARD
16-10-09, 08:43 PM
Indigenous All Stars nominees announced

Members of the Australian Kangaroos today joined NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, and ARL Indigenous Council Chairman, Mr William ?Smiley? Johnstone, to announce players who are eligible for inclusion in the inaugural Indigenous All Stars team.

Today was also the official unveiling of the team logo and jersey artwork for the Indigenous All Stars.

The Indigenous All Stars side will come together against an opposing NRL All Stars team at the first game of its kind taking place at Skilled Park on February 13, 2010 ? this date also marks the second anniversary of Australia?s apology to the Stolen Generation.

VB Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer, as well as Australian VB Kangaroos Indigenous players Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Sam Thaiday and Justin Hodges, were present as the nominated players were announced.

The ARL Indigenous Council in cooperation with the 16 NRL Clubs has determined a list of all players who are eligible for consideration in the team. It is now up to the official selectors of the game - the fans, to choose the side who will take the field in February next year.

A list of nominated players eligible for the Indigenous All Stars can be viewed here

Public voting for the Indigenous All Stars opens on October 24, 2009 through www.nrl.com. The fans are being asked to select 16 Indigenous players.

They will be under the leadership of Ken Stephen Award winner Preston Campbell and will be joined by an additional three players who will be chosen by the ARL Indigenous Council selectors and Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry to form the 20-man squad.

Fans have less than a month to cast their vote for the Indigenous All Stars with voting officially closing on Sunday, November 15, 2009.

ARL Indigenous Council Chairman, Smiley Johnstone, said: ?The players nominated today represent some of the best athletes in the game.

?The talent on the field on February 13, 2010 will be something that has never been seen before in a single game of Rugby League. The significance of this game extends beyond the physical contest, it is an acknowledgement to the phenomenal contribution the Indigenous community has made to the game.

?We are all eagerly anticipating just who the fans will choose to be a part of this inaugural side.

A week of community activity in the lead up to the game will demonstrate Rugby League?s reach into the grassroots community ? particularly into regional and remote Australia.?

The official logo design and jersey artwork for the Indigenous All Stars team were also revealed today. The ARL Indigenous Council and the Diversity Council Australia commissioned six artists for tender and received submissions of the highest standard.

From these submissions former Rugby League star Sid Domic has been chosen as the successful artist. Domic played the game for more than a decade representing the Brisbane Broncos and Penrith Panthers in Australia and the Warrington Wolves, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and Hull FC in the English Super League.

Domic was first taught how to paint by his grandmother and since retiring from the game has established himself as a talented Indigenous artist, exhibiting his work internationally.

Domic?s designs have drawn inspiration from colours that represent the earth, sun and water. The logo and jersey artwork incorporates boomerangs, the Southern Cross and symbolic elements representing the coming together of cultures and communities.

?It is a great honour to have my designs worn on the field by a team that is representing my people,? said Sid Domic. ?Seeing Preston lead a group of the game?s best players in my designs will be one of the highlights of my artistic career. I am so proud of my Indigenous heritage and this game is destined to become a highlight on the annual Rugby League calendar.?

Voting for the NRL All Stars side will take place throughout January 2010. The NRL All Stars team will include the Kangaroos Captain Darren Lockyer and Vice-Captain Cameron Smith and the New Zealand Captain Benji Marshall and Vice-Captain Adam Blair, with the remaining 16 positions determined by the public vote. The pre-requisite for the NRL All Stars is that one player from each NRL team must feature in the 16 voted by the public.

NRL All Stars v Indigenous All Stars Ticket Information

General public tickets for the game go on sale at 9am Monday, October 26, 2009.

NRL Club members are entitled to an exclusive pre-purchase ticket offer from 9am Wednesday, October 21, 2009. MyNRL members are can pre-purchase tickets from 9am Thursday, October 22, 2009. Anyone can become a MyNRL member for free by registering at www.nrl.com.

Tickets are available through Ticketek on 132 849, at Ticketek outlets or online at www.ticketek.com.au. New Zealand customers can call 0800 842 538 or +61 132 849.

DIEHARD
16-10-09, 08:50 PM
Indigenous All Stars nominees

http://www.nrl.com//Portals/0/allstars_320x240_1.jpg

All Stars Home The ARL Indigenous Council in cooperation with the 16 NRL Clubs has determined a list of all players who are eligible for consideration in the team. It is now up to the official selectors of the game - the fans, to choose the side who will take the field in February next year.

Public voting for the Indigenous All Stars opens during the Four Nations tournament through www.nrl.com. The fans are being asked to select 16 Indigenous players.

They will be under the leadership of Ken Stephen Award winner Preston Campbell and will be joined by an additional three players who will be chosen by the ARL Indigenous Council selectors and Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry to form the 20-man squad.

Fans have less than a month to cast their vote for the Indigenous All Stars with voting officially closing on Sunday, November 15, 2009.

Nominated players eligible for the Indigenous All Stars include:

Player Team
Albert Kelly Cronulla Sharks
Anthony Mitchell Parramatta Eels
Beau Champion South Sydney Rabbitohs
Ben Barba Canterbury Bulldogs
Ben Jones Sydney Roosters
Ben Orcher Cronulla Sharks
Blake Ferguson Cronulla Sharks
Brad Tighe Penrith Panthers
Brenton Bowen Gold Coast Titans
Carl Webb Nth Qld Cowboys
Chris Sandow South Sydney Rabbitohs
Cory Paterson Newcastle Knights
Daine Laurie Penrith Panthers
Dane Nielson Melbourne Storm
Donald Malone Nth Qld Cowboys
Esi Tonga Gold Coast Titans
Fred Briggs Canterbury Bulldogs
George Rose Manly Sea Eagles
Greg Inglis Melbourne Storm
Ian Lacey Gold Coast Titans
Jake Friend Sydney Roosters
Jamal Idris Canterbury Bulldogs
Jamie Simpson South Sydney Rabbitohs
Jamie Soward St George-Illawarra Dragons
Jarrod Sammut Penrith Panthers
Jharal Yow Yeh Brisbane Broncos
Joel Moon Warriors
Joel Romelo Penrith Panthers
Joel Thompson Canberra Raiders
Johnathan Thurston Nth Qld Cowboys
Jonathan Wright Parramatta Eels
Josh Hoffman Brisbane Broncos
Justin Carney Canberra Raiders
Justin Hodges Brisbane Broncos
Kurtis Lingwoodock Brisbane Broncos
Luke Kelly Melbourne Storm
Luke Walsh Penrith Panthers
Matt Bowen Nth Qld Cowboys
Maurice Blair Penrith Panthers
Michael Bani Nth Qld Cowboys
Michael Lett St George-Illawarra Dragons
Nathan Merritt South Sydney Rabbitohs
Obe Geia Nth Qld Cowboys
P J Marsh Brisbane Broncos
Palmer Wapau Brisbane Broncos
Rhys Wesser South Sydney Rabbitohs
Robert Lui Wests Tigers
Sam Thaiday Brisbane Broncos
Scott Prince Gold Coast Titans
Shannon Hegarty Nth Qld Cowboys
Shannon Walker Gold Coast Titans
Timana Tahu Parramatta Eels
Tom Learoyd ? Lahrs Canberra Raiders
Travis Waddell Canberra Raiders
Ty Williams Nth Qld Cowboys
Wendell Sailor St George-Illawarra Dragons
William Isa Melbourne Storm
Willie Tonga Nth Qld Cowboys
Yileen Gordon Canterbury Bulldogs
Zac Merritt Canberra Raiders

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
20-10-09, 02:51 AM
Bennett relishes chance to coach Anzac dynamos

WAYNE BENNETT has won six premierships, coached two countries to the top of international rugby league and seemingly achieved everything conceivable in an illustrious career. But there's one thing on his wish list he can't wait to tick off - the opportunity to coach Benji Marshall and Darren Lockyer at the same time.

Bennett will get that chance as the coach of the NRL All Stars against the Indigenous All Stars in a historic clash to open the 2010 rugby league season.

The veteran mentor said he was excited by the concept, which honours the contribution of indigenous communities to rugby league, and hoped it would become an annual fixture. He even joked his opposition's talent pool was so large he regretted ''they didn't offer me the indigenous coaching job''.

However, he will be compensated with a chance to coach two of his favourite modern-day players, Australian captain Lockyer and Kiwis counterpart Marshall.

''I know that Benji has a huge admiration for Lockyer and I know Locky admires him,'' Bennett told The Sun-Herald.

''You've got one at the end of his career and one in the prime of it.

''To have this opportunity [to coach them simultaneously], which you wouldn't get in any other circumstances, is something in itself and shows how good the concept is.

''In my involvement in the New Zealand team I thought [Marshall] was absolutely wonderful.

''I've worked with Locky for something like 13 or 14 years and I know what they both bring.

''I said to someone recently, 'I'll just be the facilitator that week, I won't be doing much coaching'.

''I'll step back for those two guys and they can just have it.''

The Australian and New Zealand captains and vice-captains are automatic selections for the All Stars, but the remainder of the 20-man squads will be selected by fans. Players eligible for the indigenous side include some of the biggest names in rugby league, with the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Preston Campbell, Wendell Sailor, Scott Prince and Justin Hodges to choose from.

''They have a huge array of talent,'' Bennett said. ''Hodges ? Inglis ? It's a hell of place to start and I haven't thought much outside of that. They are great players with wonderful attacking ability that excites you. We have to somehow try to defend it.

''That's what the Aboriginal boys bring to the game, those wonderful skills you and I could only dream about. I've been to some of their carnivals over the years and they bring a great passion whenever they come together or play against each other. It will be a very proud occasion for them and we'll have to be very committed.''

Bennett said the event, to be held on the second anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the stolen generation, was a fitting celebration of indigenous talent.

Asked to name some of his favourite indigenous players, the veteran mentor reeled off a list of famous and obscure names dating back nearly half a century. Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga and John ''Chicka'' Ferguson all rolled off the tongue. And then there was the likes of Wynnum-Manly winger Lionel Morgan, the first indigenous Australian to be selected in a recognised Test match. Newtown's Lionel Williamson and former Broncos halfback Gary French were highly regarded. There's a Bennett story behind almost every name.

''I played with a guy called Chips Harrington [Noel Harrington],'' he recalled. ''Chips had a big belly, who played at Brothers. Every time his belly was hard, he was fit. That normally happened around September.''

While the punters will decide on the final make-up of the squads, Bennett said there was a cult hero who picked himself.

''You can't pick an indigenous team without the great Wendell [Sailor] somewhere while he's still in the throes of playing football,'' he said. ''Regardless of what happens [with his playing future], there'll be a place for him. The other thing with the indigenous boys is they don't talk it up too much. They'll need him to be their spokesman.''

Asked if it would be the farewell match for Sailor, who is yet to declare if he'll continue in the NRL, Bennett replied: ''That's for him to decide down the track.''

http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
20-10-09, 11:24 AM
These are on sale to NRL members from tomorrow.

You should have received an email from ticketek with your unique code to access tickets during the members only window.

NRL All Stars v Indigenous All Stars Ticket Information

General public tickets for the game go on sale at 9am Monday, October 26, 2009.

NRL Club members are entitled to an exclusive pre-purchase ticket offer from 9am Wednesday, October 21, 2009. MyNRL ...members are can pre-purchase tickets from 9am Thursday, October 22, 2009. Anyone can become a MyNRL member for free by registering at www.nrl.com.

Tickets are available through Ticketek on 132 849, at Ticketek outlets or online at http://www.ticketek.com.au. New Zealand customers can call 0800 842 538 or +61 132 849.

DIEHARD
20-10-09, 11:26 AM
Get behind this match Titans fans! Our boss Michael Searle pushed through with this fantastic idea and I think he would love to see Titans fans embrace it.

It's up to the Gold Coast to embrace the event and give it the respect and position it deserves. Let's show em how it is done.

I am really excited about this game. :)

shamus
20-10-09, 04:51 PM
These are on sale to NRL members from tomorrow.

You should have received an email from ticketek with your unique code to access tickets during the members only window.

I never received my unique code but no matter. I'll just lob at the Titnas store in the morning.

You don't know how much tickets are do you Brad? No pricing on the Ticketek site...and I am sitting on the lounge and am way too lazy to get up and go to the fone...

amaline
20-10-09, 05:26 PM
All Stars Ticket Categories and Prices
Cat 1: Adults $65.00 Concession $55.00 Child $40.00 Family $170.00
Cat 2: Adults $45.00 Concession $40.00 Child $30.00 Family $120.00
Cat 3: Adults $25.00 Concession $20.00 Child $15.00 Family $65.00

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/57118/indigenous-all-stars-team-launched/default.aspx

Which team will everyone be supporting? I figured I'd probably support the team with the most Titans in it, which looks like it will be the Indigenous team.

DIEHARD
20-10-09, 06:12 PM
It's a tough question on who to support. I think I will be supporting both and enjoying the festive atmosphere. Probably NRL All-Stars just for the sake of it, to be different. If they release a jersey I'll grab one.

I really enjoyed supporting the Indigenous team at the World Cup opener. And I can tell you first hand that that match brought so many new people to the game. They got there hours early for the match and it meant the world to them.

The placement of the game in February, as the first big game of the season is also fortunate because it means everyone will be in high spirits and you wont get the competitive mind set from the NRL fans that you get during Origin and towards the NRL Finals.

It will be a very feel good spirit.

Also I'm very happy with the ticket prices, cheaper than a NRL game! You can get 8 tickets per NRL Club Membership. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
20-10-09, 06:13 PM
Yea come to think of it Amaline,... how could I go past the Indigenous All-Stars. Being captained by the best rugby league player ever and Gold Coast hero PRESTON CAMPBELL! It is a no brainer, we'll be behind our Presto! :D

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 06:59 AM
Today is the day! Tickets are on sale. Really makes this match real now that tickets are being sold.

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 07:05 AM
Click here to buy All-Stars tickets on ticketek.com.au (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=NRLALLST10) On sale today from 9am AEST/Realtime.

amaline
21-10-09, 07:44 AM
Yea come to think of it Amaline,... how could I go past the Indigenous All-Stars. Being captained by the best rugby league player ever and Gold Coast hero PRESTON CAMPBELL! It is a no brainer, we'll be behind our Presto! :D

I think this is what was tipping me in that direction.

Has there been any announcements on an opening game? Perhaps an Under 20's all-stars? Or maybe something like a bunch of competitions. Longest field goal, longest pass, 100 metre race etc. That last one could be interesting.

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 10:08 AM
All-Stars venue map for Skilled Park

https://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx47726.gif

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 10:29 AM
Well I ended up geting 8 Cat 3 tickets in Section 16, southern end. I wanted to try and get Section 30 but couldn't get through on the phone. Gotta go to uni soon as well.

Really really happy to have these tickets! :thumbsup:

Boofhead
21-10-09, 03:03 PM
Well I ended up geting 8 Cat 3 tickets in Section 16, southern end. I wanted to try and get Section 30 but couldn't get through on the phone. Gotta go to uni soon as well.

Really really happy to have these tickets! :thumbsup:

I picked up a few in section 16 too. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 03:22 PM
I picked up a few in section 16 too. :thumbsup:

I think I am in Row 13 or something.

titanstattman
21-10-09, 03:28 PM
haha wtf i didnt even know they went on sale.. god dam it.......

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 03:46 PM
haha wtf i didnt even know they went on sale.. god dam it.......

Don't worry dude, plenty plenty left. Get into it.

Mushi
21-10-09, 08:26 PM
I was lucky to get through on the phone so got section 31 row 11. Picked up a nice 8 tickets for us - looking forward to it as a opener for a massive 2010 season at skilled :)

squirrell
21-10-09, 10:44 PM
got my 4 tickets for sect 20 this morning and another 2 in sect 15 as a xmas pressie for someone..im hoping the atmosphere matches the broncos clash which i had to watch on the internet from the uk and missed the loudest game on the coast for years..

jayden
22-10-09, 06:11 PM
1.Kurt Gidley
2.Jarred Hayne
3.Brett Morris
4.Matt Cooper
5.israel folou
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Benji Marshell
8.Steve Price
9.Cameron Smith
10.Petero Civoniceva
11.Willie Mason
12.Andrew Ryan
13.Nathan Hindmarsh

14.David Stagg
15.Anthony Topou
16.Aaron Payne
17.Billy Slater

kwigibo
23-10-09, 02:40 PM
1.Preston Campbell
2.Nathan Merritt
3.Greg Inglis
4.Justin Hodges
5.Wendell Sailor
6.Johnathan Thurston
7.Scott Prince
8.George Rose
9.P J Marsh
10.Carl Webb
11.Tom Learoyd ? Lahrs
12.Sam Thaiday
13.Cory Paterson

14.Daine Laurie
15.Jamal Idris
16.Palmer Wapau
17.Jamie Soward

1.Jarryd Hayne
2.Brett Stewart
3.Brett Morris
4.Israel Folau
5.Sam Perrett
6.Benji Marshall
7.Cooper Cronk
8.Steve Price
9.Nathan Friend
10.Petero Civoniceva
11.Ben Creagh
12.Mick Crocker
13.Luke O'Donnell

14.Luke Douglas
15.Danny Wicks
16.Terry Campese
17.u20's player

DIEHARD
23-10-09, 02:50 PM
http://www.nrl.com/FanZone/AllStars/tabid/10918/Default.aspx

VOTING IS NOW OPEN!

jayden
23-10-09, 08:20 PM
1.Kurt Kidley
2.Jarred Hayne
3.Brett Morris
4.Matt Cooper
5.Israel Folou
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Benji Marshall
8.Steve Price
9.Cameron Smith
10.David Taylor
11.Willie Mason
12.Andrew Ryan
13.Nathan Hindmarsh

14.David Stagg
15.Anthony Topou
16.Aaron Payne
17.Billy Slater

TITAN PETE
26-10-09, 12:41 PM
I bought mine in section 20 :thumbsup:

daveyk
26-10-09, 03:30 PM
i really need to get my tickets....

DIEHARD
26-10-09, 04:14 PM
Yea mate. The tickets are selling well. And it's pretty ingenius because interest will escalute until the indigenous All-Stars team voting ends in mid November and is announced and then we move into the NRL All-Stars voting.

I saw a fantastic ad for it in yesterday's Courier Mail featuring Preston in a Titans jersey and Lockyer in a Broncos jersey. They are also running ads on TV.

I know alot of people are travelling up for the All-Stars game from down south.

daveyk
27-10-09, 07:03 PM
got tickets in section 30 row 9....

bring on 2010

DIEHARD
30-10-09, 02:15 PM
Indigenous All Stars: Have you voted yet?

Click here to start voting (http://www.nrl.com/fanzone/allstars/tabid/10918/default.aspx)!

The Indigenous All Stars team has begun to take shape with big playmakers Greg Inglis, Sam Thaiday, Johnathan Thurston, and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs leading an historic voting race. Some of the game?s biggest names are fighting for selection in the first ever Indigenous All Stars team which will play the NRL All Stars on the Gold Coast on February 13, 2010.

As ?official? selectors of the team, over 8000 fans have already logged on to NRL.com/allstars to nominate their preferred side. Thousands more expected to make their team selection before voting closes on November 15, 2009.

As the voting stands at this moment, Johnathan Thurston is leading the race for half back and Greg Inglis is the preferred choice for centre. Other leading players in the vote tally include the Dragons? Wendell Sailor, the Cowboys? Carl Webb and Manly?s George Rose.

Queensland players are in high demand leading 9 out of the 13 positions. Cowboys fullback Matthew Bowen, Scott Prince from the Titans and Broncos centre Justin Hodges are amongst the Sunshine state front runners to sit alongside Ken Stephen Award winner and Indigenous All Star Captain, Preston Campbell.

As a reminder of the incredible array of talent there is to choose from names like Timana Tahu, Yileen Gordon and Willie Tonga are still battling to make it into the top 16, but there is still time for all three to catch up in the public vote.

As it stands the side will consist of the following players:

1. Matthew Bowen

2. Wendell Sailor

3.Justin Hodges

4. Greg Inglis

5. Nathan Merritt

6. Scott Prince

7. Johnathan Thurston

8. Carl Webb

9. PJ Marsh

10. George Rose

11. Sam Thaiday

12. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

13. Cory Paterson

14. Daine Laurie

15. Jamie Soward

16. Jamal Idris

Following the finalisation of the public vote, Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry and the ARL Indigenous Council will appoint the remaining three players.

?Fans now have their first ever opportunity to take the selectors chair and it is great to see them taking up the chance,? Indigenous All Stars coach, Neil Henry says.

?Rugby League fans have always been passionate about the selection process for representative games which only adds to the magnitude of this voting opportunity.

?I am looking forward to the next instalment.?

Fans are being urged to cast their vote, with less than three weeks left to make their selection on who will wear the Indigenous All Stars jersey.

Tickets are currently on sale for the game through Ticketek on 132 849, at Ticketek outlets or online at www.ticketek.com.au. New Zealand customers can call 0800 842 538 or +61 132 849.

Throughout January 2010, the public will also be asked to take the selectors chair for the NRL All Stars side. VB Kangaroos Skipper Darren Lockyer, Cameron Smith, along with NZ Captain Benji Marshall and Adam Blair, will be automatically included in the line-up. Sixteen places will be determined by public vote, and there is a prerequisite that each of the 16-clubs are represented in the players voted by the fans.

Click here to start voting (http://www.nrl.com/fanzone/allstars/tabid/10918/default.aspx)!

TITAN PETE
02-11-09, 01:16 PM
Throughout January 2010, the public will also be asked to take the selectors chair for the NRL All Stars side. VB Kangaroos Skipper Darren Lockyer, Cameron Smith, along with NZ Captain Benji Marshall and Adam Blair, will be automatically included in the line-up. Sixteen places will be determined by public vote, and there is a prerequisite that each of the 16-clubs are represented in the players voted by the fans.

As there is a prerequisite that there will be 1 player from each NRL Club in the All Star squad i think we should all band together & vote for the Titans most consistent player when voting opens & vote for NATHAN FRIEND & give him his 1st Rep jersey which is well overdue ;)

DIEHARD
02-11-09, 03:33 PM
As there is a prerequisite that there will be 1 player from each NRL Club in the All Star squad i think we should all band together & vote for the Titans most consistent player when voting opens & vote for NATHAN FRIEND & give him his 1st Rep jersey which is well overdue ;)

Great idea mate. I'm in. I think the voting for the NRL All-Stars starts in January.

I'll post up my Indigenous All-Stars team in a sec. If anyone hasn't voted, sign up and vote. There is even a massive ad/banner for it at the top of the Titans forum. So follow that link.

GCT_89
02-11-09, 05:25 PM

sounds lke a great idea, but because cam smith is the Aussie vice captain, friend will no doubt be in the smith shadow again....

also, i went with a thurston-less team for the dream time team.....hes too controlling and i wouldn't want presto to be pushed aside from his captaining role.....

whats everyones thoughts on where presto will play?

i havent chosen a fullback or half back as im not sure who to go with.....
if presto is at fullback, id want sandow and prince in the halves.........

DIEHARD
02-11-09, 05:54 PM
Well Matt Bowen won't be fit to play fullback.

DIEHARD
11-11-09, 06:26 PM
Here is the team I voted for....

1. Matt Bowen
2. Wendall Sailor
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Nathan Merritt
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Scott Prince
8. George Rose
9. PJ Marsh
10. Carl Webb
11. Sam Thaiday
12. T. Learoyd-Lahrs
13. Corey Patterson

Reserves
14. J. Idris
15. D. Lawrie
16. Jamie Soward

Everyone should get their votes in! This game will be alot more fun if you are part of the voting process over the coming weeks. Click the ad link at the top of this forum or go to http://www.nrl.com

You need to sign up for a MyNRL account, but it is easy and handy to have.

Coaster
11-11-09, 06:50 PM
1. M. Bowen
2. W. Tonga
3. J. Hodges
4. G. Inglis
5. N. Merritt
6. J. Thurston
7. S. Prince
8. C. Webb
9. J. Soward
10 G. Rose
11 T. Learoyd-Lahrs
12 D. Lawrie
13 S. Thaiday

14 E.Tonga
15 W. Sailor
16 Y. Gordon

DIEHARD
11-11-09, 06:57 PM
I picked Bowen at FB, but he will be injured. I think surely Preston will be fullback anyway so I picked Matty none the less.

Coaster
12-11-09, 05:51 PM
Me too as i couldnt pick Preston.

I stuck Esi on the bench, for selfish reasons.

Steelers
16-11-09, 07:46 PM
Source: www.foxsports.com.au

A previous judiciary charge rules Timana Tahu out of All Stars clash

Parramatta's Timana Tahu has been ruled out of a rugby league comeback in the highly anticipated All Stars clash on the Gold Coast due to a previous judiciary charge.

The dual international was likely to be included in the Indigenous All Stars team named in Brisbane on Friday and selected by an online fan poll.

But a review of judiciary records has confirmed that Tahu has yet to serve a two-match suspension imposed in his final game for the Eels during the 2007 NRL finals series before defecting to rugby union.

The suspension followed an early guilty plea to a grade one contrary conduct head-slam charge.

Tahu will also miss one of Parramatta's two official trials in completing his suspension.

They can't be serious can they? The NRL finally does something great by offering this sort of exhibition game and then goes and applies NRL judiciary bans onto it? Come on... It is an exhibition game, not an NRL premiership game. Timana Tahu would have further added to the grand spectacle of this game, now he will miss out due to bureaucratic red tape.

Grimmace
17-11-09, 01:06 PM
lol cant beleive they are not going to let tahu play because of suspension, Godbless our administrators of our game if only they could get their heads out of the sand and worried about more important things like the AFL's push into the GC and GWS if only.

Ryan
17-11-09, 01:48 PM
Ta-Who?
That guy who is coming back from union with his tail between his legs?
Who cares about him, he defected to 'borring ra-ra' for more coin. Why should he be exempt from an outstanding suspension to be allowed into a prestigous inaugural event?
Bugger him........

Sydney Titans Fanatic
18-11-09, 11:19 PM
I think the judicary system is a load of crap, if you get 5 match suspensions it should only be for the nrl rounds and not rep football or trial matches, it is destroying the game and once the afls western sydney team comes in we will loose half our fans out west to afl. Btw Great to have you back in league tahu will be great to see you in the abboriginal jersey in 2011

titanstattman
20-11-09, 03:27 PM
Indigenous All Stars team selected
Friday, 20 November 2009
Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Johnathan Thurston, Scott Prince, Wendell Sailor and Sam Thaiday are just some of the names unveiled today at the announcement of the first ever Indigenous All Stars team to play the NRL All Stars at the Gold Coast?s Skilled Park on February 13.

The stellar line-up of Rugby League stars represents the greatest gathering of indigenous talent ever brought together in a single team.
NRL Chief Executive, David Gallop, today joined Queensland Minister for Child Safety and Sport, The Honourable Phil Reeves and Indigenous All Stars coach, Neil Henry, at Parliament House, Brisbane, as the Chairman of the ARL Indigenous Council Chairman, William ?Smiley? Johnstone announced the following team:

Carl Webb - North Queensland Cowboys
Cory Paterson - Newcastle Knights
Daine Laurie - Penrith Panthers
George Rose - Manly Sea Eagles
Greg Inglis - Melbourne Storm
Jamal Idris - Canterbury Bulldogs
Jamie Soward - St George Illawarra Dragons
Jharal Yow Yeh * - Brisbane Broncos
Joel Thompson * - Canberra Raiders
Johnathan Thurston - North Queensland Cowboys
Justin Hodges - Brisbane Broncos
Nathan Merritt - South Sydney Rabbitohs
PJ Marsh - Brisbane Broncos
Preston Campbell ? - Gold Coast Titans
Sam Thaiday - Brisbane Broncos
Scott Prince - Gold Coast Titans
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs - Canberra Raiders
Travis Waddell * - Canberra Raiders
Wendell Sailor - St George Illawarra Dragons
Yileen Gordon - Canterbury Bulldogs

*Neil Henry and ARL Indigenous Council selected players.

Over three weeks more than 17,000 fans contributed to the selection process, choosing the Indigenous All Stars team.

The fans were asked to select 16-players to join Captain Preston Campbell in the inaugural Indigenous All Stars team. Coach, Neil Henry, in consultation with the ARL Indigenous Council has selected a further three players to lock in the 20-man squad.

The fans have picked an incredible team,? NRL Chief Executive, David Gallop said today.

?There is going to be a real sense of anticipation building around just who fans will select in the NRL All Stars.

?There is no doubt that this will be a spectacular start to 2010.

?It?s a match the players are looking forward to and today it has received backing from Harvey Norman, Jet Star, Coca Cola and AAMI.

?The fans have shown their support both in terms of ticket sales and through their role as selectors and they?ve done great job.?

Today also saw the announcement that Harvey Norman have signed on as the naming rights sponsor for the Rugby League All Stars game. The 2010 season sees the Australian retailer continue a 12-year association with Rugby League.

Jet Star have been named as the official sleeve sponsor of the Indigenous All Stars team and AAMI will also continue its affiliation with the game, with the insurance company sponsoring the referees for the inaugural match.
The public has showed tremendous support for the match, with more than 16,000 tickets already sold. Groups are travelling from far and wide for the game, including the Northern Territory, Western Australia, Canberra and South Australia.

Category 1 and 2 tickets are almost sold out and fans are being encouraged to get in quick to lock in their seat at Skilled Park. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au.

daveyk
20-11-09, 05:55 PM
wendell sailor????? wtf?

he has retired... he should not be allowed to play

hugebrianfan
23-11-09, 10:57 AM
I'd definately like to go to this. It sounds good.

TITAN PETE
23-11-09, 04:26 PM
wendell sailor????? wtf?

he has retired... he should not be allowed to play

He has just had enough playing for the Dragons :laugh:

Who cares let him play , we need more characters like Wendy ;)

DIEHARD
23-11-09, 06:22 PM
I think it is great that Sailor is playing. He deserves a proper send off and he will add so much to the event and everyone including the indigenous people love him. This will be a great platform for his community roles with the NRL and Dragons.

DIEHARD
23-11-09, 07:47 PM
Here is a great shot of the fantastic Indigenous All-Stars jersey.

http://www.titans.com.au/site/_content/LeadImage/00004529-image.jpg

Great to see our major sponsor Jetstar onboard! Well done!

DIEHARD
24-11-09, 08:49 PM
Bennett launches NRL All Stars voting

CLICK HERE TO START VOTING ON THE NRL ALL-STAR TEAM (http://www.nrl.com/fanzone/allstars/tabid/10918/default.aspx)

NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett has today unveiled just how fans can select the first team to feature players from all 16 NRL clubs in the historic match against the Indigenous All Stars at the Gold Coast on February 13, 2010.

With his former star Wendell Sailor on hand to remind him just how hard that task may be, the legendary coach revealed a two-stage voting process that will see the 16 club nominees join Kangaroo and Kiwi Test stars Darren Lockyer, Cameron Smith, Benji Marshall and Adam Blair in the 20-man side.

The NRL also unveiled an exciting set of one-off rules for the match, including the ability to forgo a conversion attempt in return for an extra ?play? and the chance for a ?double try?.

Already the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game, which marks the second anniversary of Prime Minister Rudd?s apology to the Stolen Generation, has involved 17,000 fans in voting for the Indigenous All Stars team announced in Brisbane last week ? and it has seen over 18,000 tickets sold with more than two months to kick-off.

The Indigenous All Stars announced last Friday has already been billed as one of the most exciting teams ever assembled.

Today, NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett outlined how the public can help him meet the challenge.

From today, fans can log on to www.nrl.com/allstars and choose two forwards and two backs from each club.

Stage One voting will remain open until midnight on December 26.

Once the public provides 64 names, Bennett will determine which positions he wants each player to be considered for, which positions he wants covered on the bench and where he will place the four internationals.

The public will then commence Stage Two, nominating the top player for each position with the player who scores the highest number of overall votes in a position becoming the first chosen.

Once a player from one club is placed in the team, no other player from that club can be chosen.

Stage Two voting will open on January 3 and close at midnight on January 29.

If a player withdraws from the team due to injury, he will be replaced by someone from the bench.

The bench spot will then be filled by another representative from the injured player?s club ? the new player having recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.

?It?s a great concept for the fans and I?m sure they?ll come up with a great team,? Bennett said today.

?Rugby League people are passionate about their football and there?s plenty of knowledge out there.

?A few might find out just how hard it can be to put a team together but I?m sure they are going to want to be involved.?

Bennett also gave his seal of approval to the ?double try? concept that will be pioneered in the Harvey Norman All Stars game, saying: ?It is really going to challenge both teams in a pressure situation.?

There are limited tickets still available for the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game on February 13.

Tickets can be purchased through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au.

Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars Rule Changes and broadcast innovations
? The match will be played in 20-minute quarters with unlimited interchange

? Quarter and three-quarter breaks will be taken on the field (five minutes)

? The double try or eight-point try: Once a try is scored, the captain of the scoring team can advise the referee that the team will forgo the conversion and opt for the chance to have an additional play instead. Once a team decides to attempt the eight-point try, both sides can interchange to bring on offensive or defensive players. Play will then resume anywhere between the 10 and 20 metre mark and in line with where the try was scored. There is no kicking allowed in the extra play ? the attacking team must break the defensive line to score. Any stoppage other than a try will see the match restart with a kick-off from halfway.

? The match will include four referees (only two on the field at any time) with spectators able to hear the on-field comments from referees at selected times during the match

? Television viewers will have the chance to get inside the team-talk and hear what the coaches say with Wayne Bennett and Neil Henry agreeing to wear microphones during ?quarter? and ?three-quarter? breaks

? The trainers from both teams will wear microphones throughout the game, providing further behind-the-scenes insights into the coaching strategies of both sides

? The video referee will provide feedback to the Channel Nine commentary team following a video referee decision

? Players will be fitted with GPS devices tracking their movements throughout the match

? Players on the bench will be commenting on the Channel Nine broadcast throughout the match

CLICK HERE TO START VOTING ON THE NRL ALL-STAR TEAM (http://www.nrl.com/fanzone/allstars/tabid/10918/default.aspx)

DIEHARD
24-11-09, 08:56 PM
A couple of interesting pictures.

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/0/images/Fanzone/NRL_AllStarsBanner_650x105.jpg

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/0/images/bigpond/benny_all_620.jpg

CLICK HERE TO SEE A VIDEO OF THE ALL-STARS LAUNCH (http://bigpondvideo.com/nrl/225545)

DIEHARD
24-11-09, 10:50 PM
I wont go into who I voted for the other 15 clubs, just the club that counts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/allstartitansvote.jpg

kwigibo
24-11-09, 11:39 PM
Friend, Meyers, Gordon, Mead

DIEHARD
24-11-09, 11:51 PM
Should we talk strategy, should we pick a Titans player and vote for him? I'd suggest Nathan Friend but wouldn't Kangaroos Vice Captain be assured of being the hooker?

GCT_89
25-11-09, 10:37 AM
id say focus on our backrow

MINI
LAFFRANCHI
HARRISON

im not even going to bother with friend or rogers, as smith and lockyer will fill the 9 and 6.....(although, rogers could fill a centres position)

GCT_89
25-11-09, 11:05 AM
also while going through the lists.....everyones gotta keep in mind that if you want mead or gordon on the team, dont go picking brett and josh from dogs and drags.....

11. Blair
9. Smith
7. Benji
6. Lockyer

and those positions are pretty much filled.

DIEHARD
25-11-09, 12:28 PM
Harrison would be the way to go, but is he still listed under backs?

That is very fair and will skew voting. I might change my votes and add Harrison.

DIEHARD
25-11-09, 02:09 PM
Double try set for All Stars game on the Gold Coast in February

NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett believes the "double try" could be a part of rugby league within five years.

The NRL and Indigenous All Stars will be able to opt for an extra tackle, rather than a conversion, following a try in an attempt to score four extra points when they clash on the Gold Coast in February.

The move is one of several designed to increase the entertainment factor for the game, which will commemorate the anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generation.

Both sides will be able to interchange attacking or defensive players before the extra play and no kicks will be allowed.

NRL boss David Gallop said the league was not yet seriously looking at implementing the change, but Bennett said administrators would need to consider it if fans liked it.

"I've heard it thrown around in the past, it's got some merit," he told reporters as he launched voting for the NRL All Stars line-up on Tuesday.

"At the end of the day you want the fans to buy into it so if it means something to them ... I'm sure the administrators would make the change but it won't happen for four or five years."

The other serious innovation for the February 13 match at Skilled Stadium will be the use of four referees, two on the field at a time.

Broadcast innovations will include the video referee explaining decisions to the commentary team and bench players, trainers and coaches Bennett and Neil Henry all wearing microphones.

The coaches' quarter and three-quarter time addresses to their players will be heard by fans, but Bennett said the public would be surprised by what is actually said.

"They must think at home with the kids in the back room you've got to create havoc with (players) to get them motivated to do something," he said.

"You're dealing with grown men and it's not what I think a lot of fans think."

The six-time premiership-winning mentor, who is also in charge of St George Illawarra, confirmed Australia and New Zealand Test captains Darren Lockyer and Benji Marshall would start as five-eighth and halfback respectively.

"I think about it and I just think the magic they both produce, if they can get it right on the day it will be something to watch," Bennett said.

He said meeting the challenge posed by a proud and highly motivated Indigenous side would be his biggest test.

"That's going to be the part we do have to get right because it is a difference for us," he said.

"They're already motivated, the indigenous side and I should imagine the fan base will be pretty much behind them as well.

"I'm dealing with guys like Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, guys that I've coached, they compete at a training session, you tell them there's a game on they want to win that game of touch against each other.

"Their professional credibility's on the line as well so I don't think it's going to be a real issue for us."

The first stage of voting remains open until December 26, with one player from each NRL club to join Lockyer, Marshall and their deputies Cameron Smith and Adam Blair in a 20-man squad.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

rugbyman13
26-11-09, 04:01 AM
Does anybody knows the real future "double try" rule ? and where the extra tackle will be played ? on the 10m line ? on the 20m line ? in the middle of the field ? thanks for you reply.

DIEHARD
26-11-09, 06:04 AM
Does anybody knows the real future "double try" rule ? and where the extra tackle will be played ? on the 10m line ? on the 20m line ? in the middle of the field ? thanks for you reply.

This is what the NRL released through their website the other day.

? The double try or eight-point try: Once a try is scored, the captain of the scoring team can advise the referee that the team will forgo the conversion and opt for the chance to have an additional play instead. Once a team decides to attempt the eight-point try, both sides can interchange to bring on offensive or defensive players. Play will then resume anywhere between the 10 and 20 metre mark and in line with where the try was scored. There is no kicking allowed in the extra play ? the attacking team must break the defensive line to score. Any stoppage other than a try will see the match restart with a kick-off from halfway.

rugbyman13
26-11-09, 07:24 AM
Many thanks Diehard.

TITAN PETE
26-11-09, 09:42 AM
Vote for who u think deserves a shot in the squad, just because Smith will wear the 9 doesn't mean Friend couldn't play, this is not a Test match but more likely to be a very high scoring piece of entertainment.

Forwards-Friend & Meyers
Backs- Flash & Rogers

DIEHARD
26-11-09, 09:47 AM
The fact that the game will be played under unlimited interchange should help give the reserves a good go.

TITAN PETE
26-11-09, 12:06 PM
I wont go into who I voted for the other 15 clubs, just the club that counts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/allstartitansvote.jpg

Did u notice u can vote for Joseph Tomane.....from the Storm Backline :ugh:

DIEHARD
26-11-09, 12:21 PM
Did u notice u can vote for Joseph Tomane.....from the Storm Backline :ugh:

Sure did! I think I remember seeing one or two other anomalies as well. Can't remember them now though.

hugebrianfan
27-11-09, 11:46 AM
When ive finished up in Pacific fair today i'm going to go over to Robina and get a ticket for the All stars match. Im excited, this'll be my first game ive seen at skilled stadium.

DIEHARD
27-11-09, 03:18 PM
I'm really interested in the microphones. Something I've wanted to see more of in rugby league for ages.

The double try should be interesting and it really is a gamble. It probably should remain in the domain of All-Star games though. But it adds to the excitement,

Overall Im delighted to have a definitative and first class kick off to the rugby league season. No more soft season launches!

squirrell
29-11-09, 11:22 PM
Who to cheer for?? and what shirt to wear??...

TITAN PETE
29-11-09, 11:43 PM
Who to cheer for?? and what shirt to wear??...

Rugby League :fist:

Titans :doh:

squirrell
29-11-09, 11:50 PM
Well after wales lost to the wallabies this morning and me staying awake all night just to watch them lose...i might bin union forever and follow ur advice.
Do u not think ull want 1 team to win ahead of the other based on fav players etc??

TITAN PETE
30-11-09, 12:18 AM
Do u not think ull want 1 team to win ahead of the other based on fav players etc??

Nah it will be a great piece of entertainment & i'll be cheering no matter who's scoring :clap:

hugebrianfan
30-11-09, 12:30 PM
I got my ticket on friday. this game will be good, i can't wait. I'll be catching the train from Nerang station to Robina. Unfortunantly i don't have any titans merchandise to wear, though but that doesn't matter at the moment i guess.

TITAN PETE
16-12-09, 04:48 PM
I spoke with Vicky in the Titans shop yesterday & there are only "Single" tickets available so it will definatley be a Sellout :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
16-12-09, 07:20 PM
I spoke with Vicky in the Titans shop yesterday & there are only "Single" tickets available so it will definatley be a Sellout :thumbsup:

That is fantastic news, especially considering we are only in phase 1 of NRL All-Star voting. So once we sell out, we can build on the hype and TV audience. :)

I wonder if we can get national coverage, this would be the perfect advertisement for rugby league.

Titanic
16-12-09, 09:53 PM
I have contacted Australia Network (ABC Asia Pacific television service) asking if they will broadcast the game (they usually do 3 or 4 matches per weekend plus Origin and finals.

DIEHARD
17-12-09, 01:04 AM
I have contacted Australia Network (ABC Asia Pacific television service) asking if they will broadcast the game (they usually do 3 or 4 matches per weekend plus Origin and finals.

Thats right you are based in China, right?

Cowboy Titan
17-12-09, 04:00 PM
I read yesterday there were only 2,000 tickets left. Can't wait for the game.

GCT_89
17-12-09, 04:44 PM
i stupidly mis jugded the following this would get so ealry......
so in turn i have missed out on getting tickets.......

oh well, ill have to go to the Titanium bar to watch it instead.....

DIEHARD
17-12-09, 10:56 PM
i stupidly mis jugded the following this would get so ealry......
so in turn i have missed out on getting tickets.......

oh well, ill have to go to the Titanium bar to watch it instead.....

Dude is it sold out now?

DIEHARD
17-12-09, 11:11 PM
THE NRL is furious at Manly and the New Zealand Warriors for refusing to support the NRL All-Stars match against the Indigenous Dream Team on the Gold Coast in February. The match is being played as part of a spectacular opening to the season and is already almost a sell-out at Skilled Park. Last week, Manly coach Des Hasler and Warriors coach Ivan Cleary decided their players would not be made available. "It's terribly disappointing," an NRL official told us. "Part of the profits are going to various charities and another $1.6 million was going to the clubs - $100,000 each. That's money Manly and the Warriors will now be missing out on."

Source: Daily Telegraph

Ryan
18-12-09, 08:23 AM
THE NRL is furious at Manly and the New Zealand Warriors for refusing to support the NRL All-Stars match against the Indigenous Dream Team on the Gold Coast in February. The match is being played as part of a spectacular opening to the season and is already almost a sell-out at Skilled Park. Last week, Manly coach Des Hasler and Warriors coach Ivan Cleary decided their players would not be made available. "It's terribly disappointing," an NRL official told us. "Part of the profits are going to various charities and another $1.6 million was going to the clubs - $100,000 each. That's money Manly and the Warriors will now be missing out on."

Source: Daily Telegraph
WTF?
Thats hard to believe......
This will be a pretty significant match every year, one of the most popular too. It will have more star players on the field than origin, considering you get the best of Australia and International on the field at once...

I'm pissed off I missed out on tickets too :(

daveyk
18-12-09, 06:42 PM
just had a look on http://www.ticketek.com.au and this is what i found

EVENT & PRICING INFORMATION
Venue:
Skilled Park, QLD

Date:
Sat 13 Feb 2010 5:30PM

Allocation Exhausted

Ticket pricing at:
Skilled Park, QLD on
Sat 13 Feb 2010 5:30PM

that is fantastic to see that it is a SELL-OUT with just under 2 months until the big game. :thumbsup:

well done to everyone who got tickets and will be able to experience it first hand... and to the others who missed out...

YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSE!! :laugh:

DIEHARD
19-12-09, 06:52 AM
Yea that actually sold out sooner than I expected. Great for the game.

DIEHARD
19-12-09, 07:16 AM
NRL ALL-STARS
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/12/16/1225810/836760-darren-lockyer-all-stars-jumper.jpg

INDIGENOUS ALL-STARS
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/12/16/1225810/896344-preston-campbell-nathan-merrit-justin-hodge-scott-prince-indigenous-all-stars.jpg

DIEHARD
19-12-09, 07:50 AM
Folau leads NRL All Stars voting

Israel Folau stands as the country?s number one pick for the NRL All Stars with just eight voting days left in stage one of the team selection.

Already 16,000 fans have cast their votes for the NRL All Stars by logging onto www.nrl.com/allstars.

The tally takes the overall number of votes cast across the two teams (the Indigenous All Stars team voting was decided in November) to 31,000 and rising.

Ticket sales for the Harvey Norman All Stars match have also reflected the public?s interest with only a handful of tickets left for the February 13 event at Skilled Park.

Stage one voting for the NRL All Stars has seen fans selecting their two preferred backs and preferred forwards from each of the 16 NRL Clubs.

Only one player from each team will be able to make the final sixteen as the selection rules require all clubs to be represented.

While Israel Folau still leads the overall tally there are four other players who have topped eight thousand votes so far including Penrith?s Michael Jennings.

The competition between team mates is underlined by the fact that remaining three players are Eels stars Fui Fui Moi Moi, Jarryd Hayne and Nathan Hindmarsh.

With stage one voting closing at midnight AEDT (11pm AEST) on December 26 there is still time for fans to give their favourite star something to celebrate for Christmas by including them in the final list of candidates for the All Stars team.

From January 3, fans will be told which positions coach Wayne Bennett wants the final sixty four to be considered for.

This will be published on nrl.com and fans will then have the task of selecting the final sixteen players to join the squad.

Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, Cameron Smith and Adam Blair from the Australian and New Zealand sides have already received automatic selection in the twenty-man NRL All Stars team.

?Anyone who is selected in this side will feel especially proud to be chosen in a team that the fans have determined?, Darren Lockyer said today.

?We already know what an incredible line up of players we will be facing in the Indigenous team on February 13 next year. The fans have quite a task to deliver us a side that can challenge them.?

The player who scores the highest number of overall votes will become the first chosen in the sixteen publicly voted positions.

His selection will knock his club team mates out of contention for any of the other positions.

If a player withdraws from the team due to injury, he will be replaced by someone from the bench.

The open bench spot will then be replaced by someone from the injured player?s club, with the new player having recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.

Ticket sales for the game have been overwhelming with only corporate packages and single seats still available at this stage. Ticket enquiries can made through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au.

shamus
23-12-09, 01:10 PM
Probably the wrong spot to drop this into but the Robina store has Indigenous jerseys available at $180.....

I didn't see any NRL All Star Jerseys and the girls were too busy to ask

kwigibo
23-12-09, 09:16 PM
Probably the wrong spot to drop this into but the Robina store has Indigenous jerseys available at $180.....

I didn't see any NRL All Star Jerseys and the girls were too busy to ask

I went to a few sports stores today and yesterday, they were 160 I think at A-mart and sportsco, still 180 at sporty's warehouse. 09 titans jerseys were $90 at A-mart.

DIEHARD
24-12-09, 08:05 AM
Top ticket sales for All Stars blockbuster

THE unprecedented support for the Preston Campbell-inspired All Stars match at Skilled Park has forced the NRL to push the starting time back to 6.30pm, so it can be broadcast live on Channel 9.

More than 25,000 tickets have been sold for the Skilled Park blockbuster, leaving less than 2000 general admission tickets available.

Channel 9 last night revealed they will bump their Winter Olympics coverage and a one day international cricket match so the game can be broadcast in prime time.

Nine Network chief executive David Gyngell said the guarantee of live coverage had hammered home the standing rugby league has in the community.

"It's a reminder of the importance of rugby league in Australia's sporting landscape," he said.

"The 6.30pm Queensland kick off-time is a win for rugby league fans in each state during what is a spectacularly busy sporting schedule on Nine that will include the Commonwealth Bank One Day International Cricket Series and the Winter Olympics."

NRL boss David Gallop said he was stunned by the response.

"The interest in the match is overwhelming," said NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday.

"It is an exciting way to kick off 2010 and the commitment from the Nine Network today is something that people will appreciate."

Ticketek is contacting fans who have already purchased tickets to advise them of the kick-off change from the previously advertised 5.30pm time to 6.30pm.

The Skilled Park clash is on February 13.

DIEHARD
24-12-09, 08:09 AM
Great news and it is a credit to rugby league. This event will only get bigger once it is played. It's awesome to see this game get such treatment even in the summer.

But let's try and get it nationally broadcast not just in "each" state, NSW and QLD.

This is a great chance to promote our game nationally and viewers in WA, TAS, SA and VIC can take ownership of these teams.

Also I have been blown away by the sales in the Indigenous jerseys, with sales eclipsing many NRL clubs per annum!

daveyk
24-12-09, 08:07 PM
rebel also have the jerseys.... i think they were about 160

mite also add our 2010 jerseys are 160 at rebel and 180 (i think) at robina... go figure

DIEHARD
26-12-09, 05:54 PM
All Stars voting closing soon
Jason Sintome

There are just hours left in the first stage of voting for the NRL All Stars side with polling closing at midnight AEDT (11.00am in Queensland).

Fans still have time to register their vote and join the almost 18,000 selectors who have already taken part in the stage one of voting by logging onto www.nrl.com/allstars.

Fans have been asked to select the two backs and two forwards from each of the sixteen NRL clubs.

Once stage one voting closes tonight, NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett will indicate which positions he wants each of the 64 players to be considered for as well as outlining the make-up of the bench positions he wants covered.

On Sunday January 3, selectors will be able to study positions and on Monday January 4, 2010 the final stage of voting will officially open with the public given the challenge of selecting one player from each of the 16-NRL clubs.

The 16-players chosen by the fans will join internationals Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, Cameron Smith and Adam Blair who have been automatically included in the 20-man NRL All Stars squad.

The first player to be chosen in the NRL All Stars team will be the player who scores the highest number of overall votes in a position.

Once a player from one club is placed in the team, no other player from that club can be chosen.

The open bench spot will then be replaced by someone from the injured player?s club, with the new player having recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.

Final voting for the All Stars team will close at midnight (AEDT) on January 29, 2010.

Fans have shown their support, buying tickets in overwhelming numbers, getting behind the first match of its kind.

With eight weeks until the Harvey Norman All Stars match, there are only single tickets and corporate packages available for sale.

Ticket enquiries can made through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or http://www.ticketek.com.au.

DIEHARD
27-12-09, 10:43 AM
NRL All Stars squad announced

Final contenders for the first ever NRL All Stars team have been officially named with fans soon to face the ultimate test of choosing just sixteen players.

18,000 fans took part in stage one voting through www.nrl.com/allstars to determine which players would be shortlisted to represent the NRL All Stars against the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park on February 13 in the first ever Harvey Norman All Stars match.

Already the star studded make-up of the list underlines the near impossible task that lies ahead for fans in choosing just one player from each club to join internationals Darren Lockyer, Cameron Smith, Benji Marshall and Adam Blair in the twenty man All Stars squad.

Dragons supporters must choose between Ben Creagh, Jeremy Smith, Matt Cooper and Darius Boyd; Eels fans between Fuifui Moimoi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Jarryd Hayne and Feleti Mateo; Manly fans between Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart, Michael Robinson and Kieran Foran ? and so the dilemma goes on across every club.

The top ten voted players in stage one of the NRL All Stars side were:

Player Club
1. Israel Folau Brisbane Broncos
2. Fuifui Moimoi Parramatta Eels
3. Nathan Hindmarsh Parramatta Eels
4. Jarryd Hayne Parramatta Eels
5. Michael Jennings Penrith Panthers
6. Billy Slater Melbourne Storm
7. Anthony Watmough Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
8. John Sutton* South Sydney Rabbitohs
9. Josh Morris Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
10. Ryan Hoffman Melbourne Storm

* Unavailable due to injury

All Stars coach Wayne Bennett has vowed to work with fans in helping them select the final team as stage two voting opens through www.nrl.com/allstars on January 4, 2010.

The following 64-players have been shortlisted for the NRL All Stars selection:

Brisbane Broncos
Corey Parker Forward
Nick Kenny Forward
Israel Folau Back
Peter Wallace Back

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Michael Ennis Forward
David Stagg Forward
Josh Morris Back
Luke Patten Back

North Queensland Cowboys
Luke O?Donnell Forward
Antonio Kaufusi Forward
Ashley Graham Back
John Williams Back

Parramatta Eels
Fuifui Moimoi Forward
Nathan Hindmarsh Forward
Jarryd Hayne Back
Feleti Mateo Back

Newcastle Knights
Ben Cross Forward
Chris Houston Forward
Kurt Gidley Back
Jarrod Mullen Back

New Zealand Warriors
Michael Luck Forward
Sam Rapira Forward
Manu Vatuvei Back
Simon Mannering Back

Penrith Panthers
Petero Civoniceva Forward
Frank Pritchard Forward
Michael Jennings Back
Luke Lewis Back

South Sydney Rabbitohs
Dave Taylor Forward
Issac Luke Forward
Fetuli Talanoa Back
Colin Best Back

Canberra Raiders
Alan Tongue Forward
David Shillington Forward
Terry Campese Back
Joel Monaghan Back

Sydney Roosters
Nate Myles Forward
Jason Ryles Forward
Anthony Minichiello Back
Mitchell Pearce Back

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Anthony Watmough Forward
Glenn Stewart Forward
Michael Robertson Back
Kieran Foran Back

Cronulla Sharks
Anthony Tupou Forward
Luke Douglas Forward
Trent Barrett Back
Luke Covell Back

Melbourne Storm
Ryan Hoffman Forward
Aiden Tolman Forward
Billy Slater Back
Brett Finch Back

Gold Coast Titans
Anthony Laffranchi Forward
Luke Bailey Forward
Mat Rogers Back
Ashley Harrison Back

Wests Tigers
Gareth Ellis Forward
Robbie Farah Forward
Chris Lawrence Back
Tim Moltzen Back

St George Illawarra Dragons
Ben Creagh Forward
Jeremy Smith Forward
Matt Cooper Back
Darius Boyd Back

Please note, since Stage One voting opened the following players have been made unavailable by their club due to injury: Bronson Harrison (Canberra Raiders); Brett Kimmorley (Canterbury Bulldogs); Ben Hannant (Canterbury Bulldogs); Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks); Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm); Ben Harris (North Queensland Cowboys); Michael Weyman (St George Illawarra Dragons); Brett Morris (St George Illawarra Dragons); John Sutton (South Sydney Rabbitohs).

Wayne Bennett will now spend the New Year?s period working on what positions he wants the 64-nominated players considered for, including those he wants for the bench.

He will release the list of positions he wants players considered for on Sunday January 3 on NRL.com.

Stage Two voting will officially open on January 4 through www.nrl.com/allstars.

Voting to decide the final team to take of the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park Stadium on February 13 will close at midnight (AEDT) on January 29, 2010.

?It will be an amazing way to start the season,? NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop said today.

?This is a match that really includes the fans and underlines Rugby League?s community involvement.

?Choosing between the likes of Jarryd Hayne, Fuifui Moimoi, Feleti Mateo and Nathan Hindmarsh will not be easy, but ultimately it will only be one of these players that will make the NRL All Stars side and it is the fans who will decide.?

The player with the highest number of total votes will become the first publicly selected player names in the team and this will automatically prevent any of his club team mates gaining a place in the All Stars.

If injury prevents a player from being a part of the game, he will be replaced by someone from the bench.

The open bench spot will then be replaced by someone from the injured player?s club. The new player selected will have recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.

The only remaining tickets for the game are corporate packages and single seats. Ticket enquiries can made through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or http://www.ticketek.com.au.

DIEHARD
28-12-09, 11:24 AM
Versatility could count against Hayne in poll for All Stars game

JARRYD HAYNE has done things on the football field perhaps no one else has done ? but it might not be enough to get him a position in the NRL All Stars team to face the Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast in February - even if he polls higher than anyone else eligible.

Hayne, winner of both the Dally M and RLIF international player of the year awards, is likely to poll in both the winger and outside-back categories, which is likely to count heavily against him, not to mention the fact he was only the third-most popular Parramatta player after the first stage of voting - which closed on Boxing Day - before the February 13 match at Skilled Park.

This means Hayne could conceivably poll more votes than anyone, yet still miss out as he will do so over two positional categories. Brisbane's Queensland star Israel Folau attracted the most votes of any player eligible for the team, while Hayne's Parramatta teammates Fuifui Moimoi and Nathan Hindmarsh rounded out the top three. This also suggests Hayne, who was fourth in total votes, faces a battle to head off his teammates.

Just who will be Parramatta's representation in the historic team shapes as the most intriguing of the squad. With voting in the first stage complete, coach Wayne Bennett will then assign all 64 players a position or positions for the final stage of voting, with numbers from the first stage wiped.

If either Moimoi or Hindmarsh win their positional votes, a strong chance given their success in the first phase, and Hayne does not, the fullback would not make the team - even if he grabs more total votes than his teammates. Bennett has already addressed the Hayne conundrum, admitting he would struggle to find a place for the player considered the world's best.

''Let's say I wanted Jarryd Hayne in and I wanted Fuifui Moimoi. Well, I realise that I can't have both of them, I can only have one of them, and if I put Fui in then I've got to go and find a winger now, from another club,'' Bennett said. ''I might want a front-rower from that club and they might have a top winger there, and I can't have both of them. The battle's been going on with myself all morning.

''I hope the fans can do a better job than what I've done.''

Bennett will not, though, assign his players conventional positions; rather hit-up forwards, edge forwards and outside backs to name a few. But importantly, he will name fullbacks. Melbourne's Billy Slater, who was sixth in the overall voting and is the incumbent Australian No.1, will likely earn far more votes for fullback than he will outside back, giving him a huge advantage over Hayne to grab the fullback position.

Conversely, there could be a ''robbing Penrith to pay Parramatta'' scenario; with centre Michael Jennings attracting the fifth-most votes, and Moimoi the favourite to be the leading prop, the match might also fail to feature perhaps the game's best front-rower, Petero Civoniceva.

South Sydney's John Sutton, who finished eighth in the first voting phase, has already been ruled out with a neck injury, joining Bronson Harrison, Brett Kimmorley, Ben Hannant, Paul Gallen, Cooper Cronk, Ben Harris, Michael Weyman and Brett Morris on the injury list. The Rabbitohs' new recruit Sam Burgess was also ruled ineligible.

Voting for the final stage opens on January 4.

POSSIBLE TEAM: Billy Slater; Manu Vatuvei, Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Israel Folau; Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall; Fuifui Moimoi, Cameron Smith, Adam Blair, Gareth Ellis,Ben Creagh, Anthony Watmough

INTERCHANGE: Luke O'Donnell, Kurt Gidley, Dave Taylor, Alan Tongue, Jason Ryles, Luke Douglas, Anthony Laffranchi

DIEHARD
04-01-10, 03:14 PM
Stage 2 for NRL All-Stars voting is now open! Check it out. http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
04-01-10, 03:24 PM
Four Titans in line for NRL All Stars
Adam Gardini

Four doesn?t go into one but that?s the equation facing a quartet of Jetstar Gold Coast Titans who are vying for selection in the inaugural NRL All Stars team.

Jetstar Titans quartet Mat Rogers, Anthony Laffranchi, Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison have been named in a 64-man preliminary squad after the initial round of voting by fans through www.nrl.com

However, only one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs is eligible for selection in the final 20-man squad alongside automatic selections Australian captain Darren Lockyer, vice-captain Cameron Smith and New Zealand captain and vice captain Benji Marshall and Adam Blair

NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett has assigned each of the 64 short listed players into positions which fans can consider them when lodging their votes. Players must be voted for in one of their designated position/s.

The coach has divided the backs into three groups:
Fullback ? Specialist role
Outside Back ? Includes centres and wings
Inside Back ? A player who can play five-eighth or halfback

Forwards are also divided into three categories:
Tight Forwards ? A player who plays front-row and also second-row
Edge Forwards ? A second-rower or lock that can play on both the right and left side edge of a team?s attack and defence.
Hooker ? Specialist role

The coach wants at least three tight forwards in the starting line-up
The coach?s remaining notes are:
Players marked as utility players have been designated on the basis of their ability to cover multiple positions.

The seven man bench will require:

two Tight Forwards
one Edge Forward
one Inside Back
one Outside Back
two Utilities

The public now faces the testing task of narrowing down the 64 players to just sixteen, choosing at least one player from every NRL club.

NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett has already named Lockyer at five-eighth, Marshall at half, Smith at hooker and Blair in the front row.

Bennett?s nominated positions for the 64-shortlisted NRL All Stars contenders are as follows:

Gold Coast Titans
Athony Laffranchi - Edge Forward
Luke Bailey - Tight Forward
Mat Rogers - Utility, Inside Back
Ashley Harrison - Edge Forward

Brisbane Broncos
Corey Parker - Edge Forward
Nick Kenny - Tight Forward
Israel Folau - Outside Back
Peter Wallace - Inside Back

Canberra Raiders
Alan Tongue - Edge Forward, Utility
David Shillington - Tight Forward
Terry Campese - Inside Back
Joel Monaghan - Outside Back

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Michael Ennis - Hooker
David Stagg - Edge Forward
Josh Morris - Outside Back
Luke Patten - Fullback

Cronulla Sharks
Anthony Tupou - Edge Forward
Luke Douglas - Tight Forward
Trent Barrett - Inside Back
Luke Covell - Outside Back

Manly Sea Eagles
Anthony Watmough - Edge Forward
Glenn Stewart - Edge Forward
Michael Robertson - Outside Back
Kieran Foran - Inside Back, Utility

Melbourne Storm
Ryan Hoffman - Edge Forward
Aiden Tolman - Tight Forward
Billy Slater - Fullback
Brett Finch - Inside Back

Newcastle Knights
Ben Cross - Tight Forward
Chris Houston - Edge Forward
Kurt Gidley - Fullback, Utility
Jarrod Mullen - Inside Back

North Queensland Cowboys
Luke O?Donnell - Edge Forward
Antonio Kaufusi - Tight Forward
Ashley Graham - Outside Back
Josh Williams - Outside Back

Parramatta Eels
Fuifui Moimoi - Tight Forward
Nathan Hindmarsh - Edge Forward, Tight Forward
Jarryd Hayne - Outside Back, Fullback
Feleti Mateo - Inside Back, Utility

Penrith Panthers
Petero Civoniceva - Tight Forward
Frank Pritchard - Edge Forward
Michael Jennings - Outside Back
Luke Lewis - Edge Forward, Utility

South Sydney Rabbitohs
Dave Taylor - Edge Forward
Isaac Luke - Hooker
Fetuli Talanoa - Outside Back
Colin Best - Outside Back

Ben Creagh - Edge Forward
Jeremy Smith - Tight Forward, Edge Forward
Matt Cooper - Outside Back
Darius Boyd - Outside Back, Fullback

Sydney Roosters
Nate Myles - Tight Forward
Jason Ryles - Tight Forward
Anthony Minichiello - Fullback
Mitchell Pearce - Inside Back

New Zealand Warriors
Micheal Luck - Edge Forward
Sam Rapira - Tight Forward
Manu Vatuvei - Outside Back
Simon Mannering - Edge Forward

Wests Tigers
Gareth Ellis - Edge Forward
Robbie Farah - Hooker
Chris Lawrence - Outside Back
Tim Moltzen - Fullback, Utility

Source: Titans

DIEHARD
13-01-10, 03:39 AM
KooGa jerseys a hot ticket

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/01/12/hottest-shirt-town.jpg
KooGa national sales manager Shannon Moore with some rare items. Picture: Mike Batterham

HYPE surrounding next month's NRL All Stars clash has taken everyone by surprise -- including Labrador-based jersey manufacturer KooGa.

Finding a seat at Skilled Park for the February 13 clash will be tricky given the match is a sellout.

But proving just as tough is getting hold of a supporters jersey, particularly the Indigenous one, with KooGa selling more than 7000 since they launched it on December 10.

With their shelves empty, KooGa national sales manager Shannon Moore admits the company has been run off its feet with the demand far exceeding expectations.

"There's no way we ever imagined the jerseys would be this popular and I don't think anyone thought the All Stars game would be as successful in its first year as it has been," said Moore from the factory yesterday.

From the moment KooGa started accepting orders, demand from across Australia had been incredible and with four weeks until kick off there is little sign of it slowing.

KooGa make jerseys for the Newcastle Knights and last season's premiers the Melbourne Storm, along with several rugby union strips, including the Queensland Reds.

But impressively the Indigenous jersey, designed by former Broncos and Panthers forward Sid Domic, had outsold the Storm following their premiership triumph.

"Geographically it has spread into Western Australia and we're selling heaps in the Northern Territory, obviously with their big indigenous population," said Moore, adding they had sold three times as many Indigenous strips compared to the NRL All Stars.

"But Queensland and New South Wales have been the heartland. Demand in North Queensland has been huge. There have been heaps sold in Townsville and Cairns and some pretty small outlets are doing big numbers.

"Our estimate was to do 1500 of each but as soon as they hit the market we sold 1500 on the first day.

"We are up above 7000 jerseys, sold and out the door, and that is in four weeks including Christmas.

"It's incredible. That's more than we did in the Storm jerseys when they won the grand final last year."

With the company growing, Moore knows they will be better prepared for next year's clash that he felt had the potential to rival rugby league's showpiece, State Of Origin.

"Across the board we are doing a lot of different things which are exciting but this is just as exciting as anything we are doing," he said.

"Because it's a one-off and it's got that real State of Origin feel -- I know it's not going to rival State of Origin at this point in time but could -- it's something that we are happy to be part of."

GCT_89
13-01-10, 12:40 PM
it says in the article that next year they'll be more prepared.....

the sales next year wont be anywhere near as large as everyone has already got the jersey.....

RIP
14-01-10, 06:02 PM
So with Hodges out who will fill the gap?

DIEHARD
14-01-10, 07:40 PM
Hodges is a big loss for the team on and off the field. He is much loved by the indigenous community.

RIP
14-01-10, 10:29 PM
Hodges is a big loss for the team on and off the field. He is much loved by the indigenous community.

and how is that answering the question?

DIEHARD
14-01-10, 10:44 PM
and how is that answering the question?

It's a discussion thread. I didn't realise I was obligated to answer every question people pose. :ugh:

Willie Tonga to replace Hodges in both Indigenous and Maroons. As I said in another thread.

DIEHARD
15-01-10, 11:31 AM
Titans jostle for All Stars selection
Adam Gardini

The chance to be a part of the NRL?s inaugural All Stars match is providing further motivation for a quartet of Jetstar Gold Coast Titans during the hard slog of pre-season training.

Jetstar Titans Mat Rogers, Anthony Laffranchi, Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison are all jostling for a spot in the final 20-man NRL All Stars squad after being named in a 64-man preliminary squad voted for by the fans.

All four players have spoken of their desire to be a part of the inaugural match and to go head-to-head with Jetstar Titans teammates Preston Campbell and Scott Prince, who will represent the Indigenous All Stars.

Only one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs is eligible for selection in the final 20-man squad alongside automatic selections Australian captain Darren Lockyer, vice-captain Cameron Smith and New Zealand captain and vice captain Benji Marshall and Adam Blair.

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEO ON TITANS TV (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=21850)

Source:Titans

RIP
15-01-10, 01:43 PM
Sorry champ, I'm not a discussing person lol most the time anyway. thanks for the up date on tonga joining. anyway cya

DIEHARD
15-01-10, 01:55 PM
Sorry champ, I'm not a discussing person lol most the time anyway. thanks for the up date on tonga joining. anyway cya

Nothing confirmed yet man, that's just the best of speculation atm.

TITAN PETE
20-01-10, 03:31 PM
Cronulla winger Blake Ferguson has been called into the Indigenous All Stars team to replace injured Broncos and Test star Justin Hodges.

Hodges has been ruled out of playing in the inaugural Harvey Norman All Stars game, after rupturing his right Achilles tendon.

?The selectors are excited about giving a talented young player like Blake an opportunity to compete on this stage,? Coach Neil Henry said.

?Losing Justin through injury is obviously disappointing but I am sure Blake will make the most of his chance.

?Blake showed just how talented a player he is with his performances at the Sharks last year and is a great addition to our squad.?

The 20-man Indigenous All Stars squad is now as follows:
Player
Club
Blake Ferguson
Cronulla Sharks
Carl Webb
North Queensland Cowboys
Cory Paterson
Newcastle Knights
Daine Laurie
Penrith Panthers
George Rose
Manly Sea Eagles
Greg Inglis
Melbourne Storm
Jamal Idris
Canterbury Bulldogs
Jamie Soward
Jharal Yow Yeh
Brisbane Broncos
Joel Thompson
Canberra Raiders
Johnathan Thurston
North Queensland Cowboys
Nathan Merritt
South Sydney Rabbitohs
PJ Marsh
Brisbane Broncos
Preston Campbell ?
Gold Coast Titans
Sam Thaiday
Brisbane Broncos
Scott Prince
Gold Coast Titans
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Canberra Raiders
Travis Waddell
Canberra Raiders
Wendell Sailor
Yileen Gordon
Canterbury Bulldogs
Voting for the NRL All Stars side remains open with fans having until midnight on January 29 (AEDT) to decide who will join automatically selected internationals Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, Cameron Smith and Adam Blair in the team.

Fans must select one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs in the team, as well as take into account coach Wayne Bennett?s player positioning guide, available at www.nrl.com.

Over 9,000 fans have already logged on to register their preferred NRL All Stars team.

TITAN PETE
20-01-10, 03:34 PM
I must admit to struggling to knowing who Ferguson was , i thought Chicka was making a comeback ;)

DIEHARD
20-01-10, 03:48 PM
Never heard of him, is he related to Chicka?

Cowboy Titan
20-01-10, 09:45 PM
It seems strange that Willie Tonga didn't get the call up.

DIEHARD
21-01-10, 12:02 AM
Here is his profile on the Cronulla Sharks website.

http://www.sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=594&team=Sharks&blake-ferguson

kwigibo
21-01-10, 12:23 PM
He scored those freakish corner tries for the sharks against the broncs.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2009/06/25/1225740/035541-blake-ferguson-sharks-nrl.jpg

DIEHARD
21-01-10, 02:04 PM
He scored those freakish corner tries for the sharks against the broncs.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2009/06/25/1225740/035541-blake-ferguson-sharks-nrl.jpg

Oh wow, I remember that. Amazing picture. Thanks Kwigi!

Capital_Shark
21-01-10, 06:02 PM
Onya, kwigi.

Fergy was the biggest ray of sunshine in another wise pitch black 2009 for the Sharks. I think its great he got a call up and an opportunity to mingle with guys with the skills of Campbell, Inglis, Thurston etc.

Some of you bloke don't know who he is now but with a bit of luck you'll all know his name by the end of 2010.

And no, he is not related to 'Chicka', but he is Solomon Haumono's nephew.

DIEHARD
21-01-10, 06:07 PM
Yea CS, I think this All-Star experience will rub off well on him. We won't be so ignorant later in the season.

Capital_Shark
21-01-10, 07:24 PM
Yea CS, I think this All-Star experience will rub off well on him. We won't be so ignorant later in the season.

Just another positive aspect to the overall brilliant concept this All-Stars game is.

I don't think its ignorance, mate, not at all surprised that fans outside the Sharks faithful don't know much of him, or any of the youngsters we blooded last year for that matter.

23 days still this game and only 51 till the season kicks off!

DIEHARD
29-01-10, 02:56 AM
NRL All-Stars announced

Voting for the NRL All Stars team closed at midnight and, while the final tallies are still being compiled, NRL.com can reveal that Hayne (Eels), Slater (Storm), Folau (Broncos), Vatuvei (Warriors), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Kurt Gidley (Knights), Alan Tongue (Raiders), Luke O?Donnell (Cowboys), Luke Bailey (Titans), Anthony Tupou (Sharks) and David Taylor (Rabbitohs) will join automatic selections Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, Cameron Smith and Adam Blair in the team.

But four representatives ? from the Dragons, Wests Tigers, Panthers and Roosters ? will not be confirmed until a final tally of the votes occurs later this morning after thrilling selection races that will be determined by just handfuls of votes.

DIEHARD
29-01-10, 08:51 AM
Im hoping for Ellis and Jennings for the All-Stars. Gets announced noon today.

Great to see Bailey, Tongue, Vatuvei, Gidley, Slater and Hayne in the same team. That's what the NRL All-Stars is all about! :)

titanstattman
29-01-10, 09:22 AM
Ok peeps i was wonding if every1 who will be going to this game would be keen for a get together b4 the game???????

Maybe sumwhere close nd we could walk as a group there nd back......??

Any thoughts on this or ideas??

P.S. Just thought it might be great to meet up after the off-season...
It be good to catch up with every1..:thumbsup:

Also trying to get a touch day going on the 7th witch is week b4 for the same reason might be a good place to plan the following week.....:salute:

DIEHARD
29-01-10, 09:27 AM
Yea man Im in, great ideas especially considering we are sitting all over the place. Also in for footy day.

Really important to have a few get togethers before kick off!

Who is going to the game? Roll call!

DIEHARD
30-01-10, 04:01 AM
Buses coming from all over Australia, says Benny
Patrick Molihan

WAYNE Bennett's done pretty much everything in rugby league but even he's been `blown away' by the response to the code's inaugural All Stars clash.

The former Broncos, Queensland State of Origin, Australian and New Zealand Test coach will have the reins of the NRL All Stars side when they clash with the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park on February 13.

"Even when I was in Queensland I never thought it was possible. That's the beautiful part about it," said Bennett.

"It is going to happen and I'm a believer in it.

"I wouldn't have taken the job if it didn't mean something to me. I didn't even blink when they asked me to do it.

"It's important for the game, important for the indigenous community and important for the players in the NRL.

"I've seldom seen as much excitement in players as I've seen in regards to this."

Some have already questioned whether the match will eventually move to a bigger venue than Skilled Park.

Bennett thinks it can but he believes the Gold Coast will turn on an English Football-type sellout atmosphere for this historic game.

"Yeah that's right. I was talking to Adrian Lam yesterday and he's just come back from PNG and he reckons they can't get enough planes out of PNG to be there because so many people want to come," said Bennett.

"It means so much to the indigenous community. Not only to the players but to the indigenous community.

"I've talked to people and they've told me the amount of buses coming from Sydney and all over Australia just to get to this game.

"I hope that (bigger venues) is where it goes in the future. Gold Coast was a starting point. I'd rather see the stadium packed and everyone wanting to be there rather than the stadium half empty and everyone not happy with the event.

"So small steps first and that's where we're at and I'm sure the big ones will come. The product just grows itself."

It's hard to argue considering the talent on show from both sides.

Titan Preston Campbell, one of the driving forces behind the match will skipper the Indigenous side which contains his club captain Scott Prince.

Gold Coast prop Luke Bailey was voted into the NRL All Stars 20-man squad.

For Bennett it's a chance to again have Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer under his command but with the array of talent at his disposal after 50,000 fans voted to select both teams he says he'll be 'more of a facilitator than a coach'.

"It's been a wonderful innovation," said Bennett of the decision to have fans select a player from each side to go with the four automatic entries, Australia and New Zealand's Test captains and vice captains' Lockyer, Cameron Smith, Benji Marshall and Melbourne's Adam Blair.

"I think 18 out of the 20 I would have preselected myself. At least I've got someone else to share the blame with (fans who voted) now if things don't work out.

"The concept of having one just one player, the way they've done it, they couldn't have done it any better. It's just got such a fairness about it. It's empowered everyone -- the fans, the clubs. They've left no one out."

Bennett won't try to coach the talent on show.

He wants to win but also 'wants to entertain' and with everyone from Billy Slater to Israel Folau, Michael Jennings and Jarryd Hayne in his squad he says putting on a show to rock the Gold Coast won't be problem.

"Absolutely. Look at the backline. Look at both backlines," he said.

"Darren and Benji. I just know what they both bring. I just hope we get it right on the night. If we can get it right on the night we'll see some wonderful football."

As for getting his men up for the clash when many will see the indigenous side as sentimental favourites:

"These guys are champions in their own right. They've all been part of premiership teams been part of winning Origins been part of Test series wins.

"When those guys play marbles they want to win. Their pride will be on the line. The thing with football players they don't want to let the guy down beside them. That'll be their motivation."

DIEHARD
30-01-10, 04:08 AM
Coast where heart is for Benji

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/01/29/keebra-park-kid-revs.jpg
Benji Marshall returns to the Gold Coast for the All Stars game at Skilled Park on February 13

WESTS Tigers star Benji Marshall loves fast cars and the boy who honed his trade at Keebra Park is delighted to be heading home with a garage full of `Lamborghinis' for next month's All Stars clash on the Gold Coast.

As New Zealand captain Marshall and his deputy Adam Blair as well as his Australian counterparts Darren Lockyer and Cameron Smith were automatic starters for the NRL All Stars side.

While thrilled to be tackling the Indigenous All Stars team on the anniversary of `Sorry Day' Marshall is also hoping his return to the Gold Coast can inspire the juniors following in his footsteps at Keebra Park and other schools.

"In a way it's a homecoming," said Marshall, who moved to the Gold Coast from New Zealand to follow his dream.

"The amount of stuff Keebra Park did for me. The coaching staff and the management team. They put me through my schooling and showed me the basics of rugby league. I still owe a lot to the people back there and every time I get back I catch up with them."

And Marshall hopes the game shows youngsters on the Gold Coast and throughout Australia that they too can achieve everything they want just like their heroes if they follow their dreams.

"I think it's important for kids coming through to know someone's been through that system and done it before and got to where I am today. That gives them hope," said Marshall.

"All you need when you're a kid is that hope that you can be like one of your heroes."

For the 'little kid' in Benji this match is very much the realisation of a dream.

His Kiwi allegiance has ruled him out of State of Origin football but as an NRL All Star he'll be lining up alongside Brisbane's Australian and Queensland skipper Darren Lockyer.

"It's like I'm a little kid again playing my first game," said Marshall. "Getting the chance to play with a player who I've looked up to my whole career and shaped a lot of my game off. So he'll definitely be the boss and I'll just follow him around."

But it's not just Lockyer. There's Israel Folau, Billy Slater and Jarryd Hayne to name but a few.

For the Lexus-driving Marshall, who's been seen behind the wheel of a flashy Lotus, deciding who to pass to will be akin to choosing between the world's best sets of wheels.

"You wouldn't call anyone a Rolls Royce though but yeah they're Lamborghinis and Porsches for sure," said Marshall.

"Couple of Ferrari's too and there's probably a couple of Range Rovers up front."

As far as Benji sees it there's only one downside to the whole event and that's that Skilled Park can't be 10 times the size on the night to accomodate demand.

The moment he was told he was an automatic selection Benji told his nearest and dearest to book their seats but some didn't heed the advice.

"A lot of my mates are still there on the Gold Coast and I'm definitely going to have a lot of support," said Benji.

"I have a lot of family coming over from New Zealand as well. I don't know how manay tickets we're going to be able to get but I'm going to need a few.

"Hopefully we can get a few but if not I don't know how I'm gonna break it to my family. It'll be a bit hard. They'll be filthy."

DIEHARD
31-01-10, 08:31 AM
Jennings feels for omitted Petero

PANTHERS flyer Michael Jennings has paid the ultimate compliment to captain Petero Civoniceva, declaring the veteran prop is far more deserving of an NRL All Stars jumper than himself.

Despite making his State of Origin and Australian Test debuts in 2009, 21-year-old Jennings was shocked and humbled to be selected by fans for next month's Indigenous All Stars match ahead of Civoniceva. ''That's pretty good that the fans like me, but I think Petero deserved it over me,'' he said. ''He's a legend of the game and a real inspiration to everyone who's played with him.''

Civoniceva's omission highlights a flaw in the selection process, which allows only one player from each club to be chosen. ''It's awesome to be selected, though. I just want to perform and try and prove I'm worthy of being there,'' Jennings said

DIEHARD
31-01-10, 08:33 AM
This is Origin Mk II: Bennett

http://images.smh.com.au/2010/01/30/1080165/wendellsailor-420x0.jpg
Do my biceps look big in this? ... Wendell Sailor proudly tries out his Indigenous jersey for the inaugural clash against the NRL All Stars.

WAYNE BENNETT has compared the inaugural All Stars clash to the birth of State of Origin, predicting rugby league's newest addition to the calendar will also win over its doubters and ''stand the test of time''.

Bennett will coach the NRL All Stars against the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park on February 13 in a historic clash which will also double as the swansong for crowd favourite Wendell Sailor.

Bennett recalled that another bold addition to the rugby league calendar - State of Origin football - also had its critics when it was first mooted more than three decades ago. Like Origin - which went on to become the showpiece event for rugby league - Bennett believes the clash on the Gold Coast would become a marquee annual fixture.

"It's a bit like Origin in some ways when it was set up,'' Bennett told The Sun-Herald. ''I'm not trying to make too many comparisons with Origin, but Origin started 30-odd years ago now and has … become a wonderful product.

"It's a great contest and hopefully this can stand the test of time as well. I believe it's right, it's done at the right time of the year, although the timing isn't quite perfect.

"There's a tremendous amount of interest and hopefully we can play the type of footy that maintains it.''

Pressed on the parallels with Origin, Bennett said the All Stars event could enjoy similar success and longevity.

"Absolutely,'' he said. ''Origin had its sceptics at the beginning, whether it would last and whether it was the right format. They are the similarities that I draw from that.

"It was a great concept that stood the test of time. I believe this is a great concept and will stand the test of time as well.''

The make-up of Bennett's side was determined by a public vote, with each club providing one representative to join Australian captain Darren Lockyer, his deputy Cameron Smith, New Zealand skipper Benji Marshall and Kiwi vice-captain Adam Blair.

The Dragons mentor said he enjoyed the interaction with the fans and signalled his intention to remain involved next year.

"I'm obviously a supporter of it,'' he said. ''At this point in time there's no reason I wouldn't do it again. Regardless of whether I'm the coach or not, the concept is great. he fans have shown us that. They showed a great lesson in the play-off series last year when 70,000 people showed up to see Parramatta play Canterbury. The message was very clear to us - we want more of this, [more big games]. The game at Skilled Park has sold out. The fans are saying they're interested through all the voting. The fans are saying 'we want more of this'.''

Bennett is no media darling. But the veteran coach has gone out of his way to promote the All Stars concept, granting rare interviews and blogging with fans. He has even agreed to be wired for sound while sitting in the coach's box.

Asked what sort of insight this will give fans, the six-time premiership-winning coach quipped: "They will be dismayed.

''They will think 'what a waste of time having him miked up'.

''I realise it's a promotional match and it means a lot to a lot of people. Much to my displeasure, I have fallen into line with most of the requests.''

DIEHARD
31-01-10, 02:33 PM
Govt recruits Indigenous All Stars

The NRL Indigenous All Stars have been recruited for a new program designed to encourage Aboriginal children to stay at school.

The federal government will pump more than $800,000 into the three-year program that kicks off when the team takes on the NRL All Stars next month.

NRL CEO David Gallop says the Indigenous team, which includes stars Preston Campbell, Jonathan Thurston and Wendell Sailor, provide a powerful voice.

"The players are committed to making a difference and this is an important partnership for all concerned," he said in a statement.

Employment Participation Minister Mark Arbib said the program, which will include a careers market, will target the rugby league heartland of NSW and Queensland.

"This is a great way for the government to partner with the sporting heroes of young indigenous children to send out an important positive message," he said in a statement.

The NRL Indigenous All Stars take on the NRL All Stars on February 13 on the Gold Coast.

DIEHARD
02-02-10, 09:47 AM
Inglis in doubt for All Stars clash

MELBOURNE Storm centre Greg Inglis could be out of the NRL All Stars game because of a hip injury, with the Golden Boot winner's participation to be assessed by club medical staff later this week.

Inglis, a major drawcard for the game as part of the Indigenous All Stars team against the NRL All Stars, has not trained with the rest of his Storm teammates for the past 10 days because of soreness in his right hip ? the 23-year-old instead working in the rehabilitation squad with other injured players.

He could also be at risk of missing the Storm's World Club Challenge clash against Leeds later this month if the injury does not respond to treatment.

It is believed the Storm has notified Indigenous team coach Neil Henry of the likelihood that Inglis could pull out of the game that will be played at Gold Coast's Skilled Stadium on February 13.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy said Inglis was "certainly in doubt".

"I know he's very keen to play in it, but we'll have to see," Bellamy said. "He couldn't train [yesterday] and unless he can train Friday I wouldn't imagine he's going to be much good.

"I know our physio and Greg are going to ring up Neil Henry and explain the situation and if they need confirmation they've got the X-rays and that but, as I say, we just want to let them know the situation so it's not a surprise to them if he has to pull out.

"I know he is very keen to play and he'll give himself every chance and hopefully with treatment this week it will come good."

Storm physio Kieran Morgan said the extent of Inglis's injury, which will require ongoing treatment, and whether it would also threaten his place for the World Club Challenge, would not be known until later this week.

Meanwhile, Bellamy is considering experimenting with playing captain Cameron Smith, who is regarded as the best hooker in the game, at halfback to cover for the loss of on-field general Cooper Cronk, who is not expected back on the field after groin surgery until at least round four.

Smith, who played at five-eighth early last season until Brett Finch was recruited from Parramatta, trained at halfback yesterday with Bellamy saying while he was happy with Smith's work, Finch and last year's under-20s captain Luke Kelly, who impressed in his sole senior game last season, were other options.

"Obviously Cameron won't be training with us next week, he will be away with All Stars so that might restrict us a little bit using him there," Bellamy said. "It's a pretty important position so we need someone who's had plenty of time there so we'll see how we go."

Source: theage.com.

DIEHARD
02-02-10, 08:53 PM
* Television viewers will have the chance to get inside the team-talk and hear what the coaches say with Wayne Bennett and Neil Henry agreeing to wear microphones during ?quarter? and ?three-quarter? breaks

* The trainers from both teams will wear microphones throughout the game, providing further behind-the-scenes insights into the coaching strategies of both sides

* The video referee will provide feedback to the Channel Nine commentary team following a video referee decision

* Players on the bench will be commenting on the Channel Nine broadcast throughout the match

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.as...splay&id=21389

DIEHARD
03-02-10, 07:38 PM
I picked up my tickets today for the All Stars. I can't wait!

titansrawesome
03-02-10, 08:17 PM
I picked up my tickets today for the All Stars. I can't wait!

i thought they were sold out weeks ago? anyways i wish fui fui was in there instead of hayne

DIEHARD
03-02-10, 08:31 PM
i thought they were sold out weeks ago? anyways i wish fui fui was in there instead of hayne

Yea when I said picked up I meant picked up not bought, I bought them the first day they went on sale. I went paper tickets and box office collection. With a paper ticket it is a nice momento for everyone to keep.

I like to collect important tickets.

TITAN PETE
03-02-10, 09:06 PM
With a paper ticket it is a nice momento for everyone to keep.

I like to collect important tickets.

Me too mate ,amongst the many tickets i've still got the last 11 GF Tickets & only some are Beer stained :laugh:

DIEHARD
03-02-10, 09:13 PM
Me too mate ,amongst the many tickets i've still got the last 11 GF Tickets & only some are Beer stained :laugh:

Hahaha I think that adds to the charm.

My World Cup Opener ticket and most of my Origin ones are marinated in beer. Not mine either!

titansrawesome
03-02-10, 10:38 PM
i really want to see the double try or 8 point try rule, im not sure how effective it will be though as you are not allowed to kick you just have to break the line.

quinn loves titans
04-02-10, 09:15 PM
NRL All Stars Coach, Wayne Bennett, and Indigenous All Stars coach, Neil Henry, are each looking at replacement options after four players were declared unavailable.

The NRL All Stars have lost forwards David Taylor, Gareth Ellis, and Alan Tongue.

Taylor injured an ankle at training on Thursday, Tongue aggravated a wrist injury and Ellis has withdrawn on compassionate grounds to be with his wife after the birth of the English couple’s first child.

The Indigenous All Stars have lost Daine Laurie who suffered a foot injury.

Replacements for both twenty-man squads will be confirmed on Friday.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/

shame:(

Cowboy Titan
04-02-10, 09:39 PM
I'm sure there will be 4 new players absolutely over the moon to now get a chance.

I can't wait for this game - it's going to be massive.

Even ABC Radio was promoting the game today as the biggest ever start to a Rugby League season.

TITAN PETE
04-02-10, 09:53 PM
Taylor injured an ankle at training on Thursday,(

Thats interesting as he was named in Souths squad to take on Manly this weekend :?)

titansrawesome
04-02-10, 10:51 PM
soooo is he replaced with another souths player, or can they put my man fui fui in ther

DIEHARD
05-02-10, 10:07 AM
I'm really disappointed to hear who is withdrawing. Tongue deserved that jersey and I was delighted to see him named. Ellis added the British representation to the All Stars. And let's face it Taylor is a star, and it was strange that a guy who had never played for the Bunnies yet is their representative.

I hope Inglis plays. We have already lost Bowen and Hodges.

This sort of thing is understandable with pre-season recovery going on.

quinn loves titans
05-02-10, 05:41 PM
sorry ingles is out but give greg bird a chance him playering centre dont know didnt even think he was aborignal *edit*

DIEHARD
05-02-10, 06:26 PM
Sam Burgess called into All Stars squad

The NRL All Stars have today recruited South Sydney?s English Test Star Sam Burgess for next Saturday?s (February 13) historic Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars match at Skilled Park.

The NRL All Stars dropped the selection shock after losing another English Test forward Gareth Ellis, Rabbitohs giant David Taylor and Canberra?s Alan Tongue.

Burgess, the most talked about English recruit to enter the NRL, will join the squad after playing his first Australian game for the Rabbitohs at Redfern Oval this Sunday.

Burgess had not been eligible for the original voting process because there was doubt about when he would be arriving in Australia.

Showing the strength of the All Stars line-up, two more Australian Test players, Wests Tigers Robbie Farah and Canberra?s David Shillington, have also been called into the squad to play the Indigenous All Stars next Saturday

Happy to see some British representation, with the withdrawal of Ellis.

Supergoose
05-02-10, 10:41 PM
Commonsense has prevailed with the inclusion of burgess. Wondered why he wasn't available in the first place. I take it asotasi was unavailable.

Ryan
06-02-10, 10:45 AM
Commonsense has prevailed with the inclusion of burgess. Wondered why he wasn't available in the first place. I take it asotasi was unavailable.
From what I read, it wasn't 100% comfirmed he would be here at the time. Might have had something to do with VISA or signing the dotted lines????

hugebrianfan
06-02-10, 11:36 AM
I can't go to this match now due to me having to work and needing the money.

DIEHARD
06-02-10, 04:45 PM
From what I read, it wasn't 100% comfirmed he would be here at the time. Might have had something to do with VISA or signing the dotted lines????

Im pretty sure he is in Sydney because he was featured in Souths videos shot at Souths HQ with other players.

Ryan
06-02-10, 06:00 PM
Im pretty sure he is in Sydney because he was featured in Souths videos shot at Souths HQ with other players.

I read it from an article similar to this:

South Sydney and England forward Sam Burgess joins NRL All Stars
February 05, 2010
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26681742-23214,00.html

The NRL All Stars have recruited South Sydney's England Test Star Sam Burgess for the All Stars match at Skilled Park on February 13.

The NRL All Stars dropped the selection shock after losing another England Test forward Gareth Ellis, Rabbitohs giant David Taylor and Canberra?s Alan Tongue.

Burgess, the most talked about English recruit to enter the NRL, will join the squad after playing his first game for the Rabbitohs at Redfern Oval against Manly on Sunday.

Burgess had not been eligible for the original voting process because there was doubt about when he would be arriving in Australia.

Showing the strength of the All Stars line-up, two more Australia Test players, Wests Tigers Robbie Farah and Canberra?s David Shillington, have also been called into the squad to play the Indigenous All Stars.

DIEHARD
06-02-10, 06:11 PM
Oh yea that makes sense, thanks Ryan. I wasn't following.

Hopefully he continues his great form he had for England for us to enjoy.

daveyk
07-02-10, 02:06 PM
jjust a gentle reminder that this historic match is less then a week away now...

i do hope that u are all excited and pumped for it....

also is anyone keen for a catch up and a few pre-game beverages on saturday arvo??? seeing as everyone will be sitting all over the place..

TITAN PETE
07-02-10, 02:18 PM
jjust a gentle reminder that this historic match is less then a week away now...

i do hope that u are all excited and pumped for it....

also is anyone keen for a catch up and a few pre-game beverages on saturday arvo??? seeing as everyone will be sitting all over the place..

Dave how about Beer o'clock 2 minutes after gates open at the members bar :thumbsup:

shamus
07-02-10, 06:31 PM
Dave how about Beer o'clock 2 minutes after gates open at the members bar :thumbsup:

Count me in........If the members bar is open that is..coz it ain't a Titans game as such.

TITAN PETE
07-02-10, 07:21 PM
Count me in........If the members bar is open that is..coz it ain't a Titans game as such.

The 1st real sell out says every bar will open :fist:

shamus
08-02-10, 10:08 AM
The 1st real sell out says every bar will open :fist:

Well u better save me a seat..........actually I think you could go one better and have a beer sitting on the table..:p

Steelers
08-02-10, 12:23 PM
I had a look on eBay for some tickets and I saw a couple of pairs selling for upwards of $300-$400! Next year it seems it will only get harder to get tickets.

Ryan
08-02-10, 01:28 PM
I was spewing when I realised I left it too late to buy tickets....
But today I just got confirmation of getting two FREE tickets to the game compliments of a sponsor :D

Steve
08-02-10, 02:00 PM
Recent developments mean I'll be cheering for the All Stars. :D

But really, it'll be a great game whoever wins!

jonesy09
08-02-10, 07:05 PM
Recent developments mean I'll be cheering for the All Stars. :D

But really, it'll be a great game whoever wins!

does that also mean you will be cheering for the team playing against the Titans every game? Because those recent developments will be starting a 5/8 every week.

daveyk
08-02-10, 07:21 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

time to move on i think

Steve
08-02-10, 07:54 PM
does that also mean you will be cheering for the team playing against the Titans every game? Because those recent developments will be starting a 5/8 every week.

Nah, that's just silly. I'd NEVER cheer the Broncos! ;)

TITAN PETE
08-02-10, 08:20 PM
Well u better save me a seat..........actually I think you could go one better and have a beer sitting on the table..:p

Make sure your not late or i won't be held responsible :D

TITAN PETE
08-02-10, 08:22 PM
Nah, that's just silly. I'd NEVER cheer the Broncos! ;)

As your Testicles will be removed :laugh:

Steve
08-02-10, 08:45 PM
As your Testicles will be removed :laugh:

Mate, I'd remove them myself before cheering them. :D

But on a serious note, definitely looking forward to the game. It's going to be one of the few matches I get to this year. I reckon it's gonna be too hard to pick a winner, but if I had to choose I reckon the All-Stars might have it.

TITAN PETE
08-02-10, 09:34 PM
Mate, I'd remove them myself before cheering them. :D

But on a serious note, definitely looking forward to the game. It's going to be one of the few matches I get to this year. I reckon it's gonna be too hard to pick a winner, but if I had to choose I reckon the All-Stars might have it.

I'm with u mate , i can't wait for this match to see so much Talent on the 1 filed is going to be Brilliant with the All Stars winning but i'd love to see some Presto Magic in the last minute to grab a win for his team :fist:

DIEHARD
09-02-10, 01:39 PM
Clash gives League a beachhead in war against AFL on coast February 9, 2010

THE NRL All Stars match is set to become an important weapon in the war against AFL, with officials committing to play it on the Gold Coast for at least the next three seasons.

While the game is going to great lengths to combat the advances of AFL into western Sydney, a similar challenge exists in South-East Queensland with the introduction of a Gold Coast AFL team next year.

Gold Coast FC are more advanced than the AFL's Greater Western Sydney franchise, and last year sent shockwaves through Australian sport by luring Broncos and Australian fullback Karmichael Hunt to switch codes.

The inclusion of the All Stars match as an annual event at Skilled Park until 2012 and beyond will ensure a massive kick-start to the NRL season each February, when it is held to coincide with the anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's 2008 apology to the Stolen Generation.

With 40 of the game's biggest stars involved, the match guarantees a huge boost to the profile of league on the Gold Coast.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle, who convinced the other NRL clubs to back the idea initially proposed by the club's star utility Preston Campbell, revealed it had already been agreed that the fixture would be staged for at least three years on the Gold Coast.

Searle said Channel Nine, the federal government and key sponsors JetStar and Harvey Norman were all on board for that period, and predicted some would want to extend their deals for longer after Saturday night's match.

''JetStar has committed for three years, Harvey Norman has committed for three years, the federal government has committed for three years, Channel Nine is committed for three years so they're all locked in until 2012,'' Searle said.

''But given the fact Channel Nine is going to put this game live on Saturday night, I don't think it will be too long after the ratings are announced that they would want to extend that.''

Searle said he also expected the Queensland government would be keen to ensure the match remained on the Gold Coast long term.

''Given that 76 per cent of people attending the match have come from outside the region, I think you will find the Queensland government turns around, and says it is a very important event and we have to keep it,'' he said.

DIEHARD
09-02-10, 01:42 PM
This is some great news for the continues growth and success of the All Stars event.

The fans have fully embraced it and it will only get more hyped up. Just more reason to become a NRL Club Member to get first shot at buying tickets to the big matches.

It's up to the players now to turn it on! I'm sure they will as well.

I'm so glad to have a proper start to the season. It never felt right to just straight into Round 1 without much of a warm up.

DIEHARD
09-02-10, 01:51 PM
Dell of a way to bow out of game

RUGBY league larrikin Wendell Sailor yesterday admitted he feared he would not get the chance to farewell the game on his terms as he returned to familiar territory to prepare for the final game of his glittering career.

Sailor will draw the curtain on his 222-game league career in Saturday night's All Stars showpiece at Skilled Park a match that will cap a remarkable return to top-flight competition after his two-year ban for testing positive to cocaine when playing rugby union for the NSW Waratahs in 2006.

The significance of finishing his career on the Coast was not lost on Sailor yesterday as he trained at Pizzey Park, headquarters of Queensland Cup outfit Burleigh Bears, the club who helped him continue his climb back to the National Rugby League.

The 35-year-old also made his first grade rugby league debut for the Broncos against the Gold Coast Seagulls in 1993 and played for the Breakers during his five-year stint in rugby union.

"When I left the game of rugby league I was at the peak of my powers and I thought maybe I'm better to stay off the field or otherwise I'll embarass myself," said Sailor.

"But for me I'm glad I took that risk and got back on the field because it's paid off. I love rugby league and the supporters for giving me a second chance." Sailor said he would never forget the Gold Coast.

Drawing the curtain on a glittering career at Skilled Park on Saturday night, Sailor's standing as one of the game's greats will never be forgotten.

While there have been many highlights, one of his greatest was returning to the NRL after admitting yesterday he spent many restless nights doubting whether his exit would be on his terms.

Banned after returning a positive test for cocaine when playing rugby union for the NSW Waratahs in 2006, Sailor spent two years in exile as he looked to rebuild not only his career, but also his reputation.

Thrown a lifeline by the St George Illawarra Dragons to return to the NRL, Sailor found his feet with the Shellharbour Dragons in the NSW-based Jim Beam Cup but was ruled ineligible after turning out for the Dragons just weeks later.

But a chance meeting with Burleigh CEO and former Queensland teammate Adrian Vowles at a State of Origin function opened the way for Sailor to continue his comeback with the Bears.

He conceded yesterday it was a blessing in disguise as he toiled away on his tough path back into the big league.

"I didn't get to play any home games here unfortunately but (former Burleigh coach) Jimmy Lenihan and the boys were great," said Sailor, who also played for the Gold Coast Breakers during his five-year stint in rugby union.

"They had some young players there but some older boys too and I can't thank them enough for making me feel welcome and really part of the team."

On Saturday night, 18 seasons after making his debut for the Broncos against the Gold Coast Seagulls in Round 12, 1993, Sailor will turn out one final time in rugby league after 222 appearances for Brisbane and the Dragons.

"There were a lot of dark days when I was thinking these guys are getting better, plus you had the likes of (Greg) Inglis and (Israel) Folau who were coming on board," he said of the doubts he held over whether he could return to the top.

"When I left the game of rugby league I was at the peak of my powers and I thought maybe I'm better to stay off the field or otherwise I'll embarrass myself.

"But for me I'm glad I took that risk and got back on the field because it's paid off.

"I love rugby league and the supporters for giving me a second chance."

With his family ready to cheer from the stands, the 35-year-old is hoping he can deliver one final dose of `Wendell Magic' for his fans in a match he is grateful to be part of.

"It's a great way to finish for me," he said.

"It's a nice way to say goodbye to the fans and a great way to appreciate our culture and respect it."

"I'll just play the game with a lot of passion and I'll just rip in and throw my body into it as much as I can.

"I would love to score a length of the field try but I don't think these old legs will go that far.

"I might leave that up to Jharal Yow Yeh or Blake Ferguson."

"The family is going to be there this weekend to see me off and there's just 80 more minutes and then that's it for the big man."

titanstattman
09-02-10, 02:30 PM
Soooo Whos up to meeting sumwhere on the day????

maybe hour or half hour b4 the gates open maybe where seafm sets up each home game?????

shamus
09-02-10, 03:59 PM
OK....I have looked everywhere but cannot find when gates open. My tickets (I thought) should have gates open time on them but they don't. As kick off has now moved to 6:30 I assume gates open at 5pm?

daveyk
09-02-10, 04:01 PM
gates open @ 4pm...

i believe there is a game on before the main....

qld ind v nsw ind

so its going to be a reall cracker of a night out at the footy...

now who to take with me as i have a spare ticket.... hrmmmm

GCT_89
09-02-10, 05:05 PM
gates open @ 4pm...

i believe there is a game on before the main....

qld ind v nsw ind

so its going to be a reall cracker of a night out at the footy...

now who to take with me as i have a spare ticket.... hrmmmm

OMG! ILL DO UNTHINKABLE THINGS FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha.....lol

quinn loves titans
09-02-10, 05:33 PM
Meeeeeeeeeeeee :p

DIEHARD
10-02-10, 03:45 PM
Prince tackles role helping kids

`HEY kids, stay in school. Things will work out better this way'.

That's the fundamental message Titans skipper Scott Prince will spread to thousands of indigenous children across Australia.

Many rugby league fans have always considered Prince to be a legend and yesterday he became one to the indigenous community when he was named ambassador for the Federal Government's Indigenous education campaign `Learn, Earn, Legend!'.

``I must admit, I am very honoured,'' said Prince yesterday, when his new ambassadorial position was announced.

``I'm very proud to have a role like this. It was a shock when I was told and hopefully I can make a difference to motivate and inspire young indigenous Australians to stay in school and pursue their dreams.''

While he has made a mark leading his troops around the rugby league field, Prince was confident he could use some of his experiences to help get the best out of the next generation of indigenous Australians.

``I wasn't the best student but it's about having good role models,'' he said.

``I have to take my hat off to my Mum and Dad. The motto at home was `work before play'.
``I would get home and want to grab the football or the basketball and duck off across the road but the old man always sat me down and told me you have to get a good education to set yourself up for the future.

``If the grades weren't up to where they should be, the thing that he loved taking away from me was rugby league.

``It made me who I am.''

Prince hopes his role through the `Learn, Earn, Legend!' campaign can inspire indigenous children from all walks of life to focus on building a future and provide inspiration as they chase their dreams.

``The main message I want to send to young indigenous Australians today is that there is a small percentage of people looking at becoming a professional athlete who actually makes it.

``If you learn hard enough, you can get a job, earn some money and set up for yourself, your family and your people.''

The `Learn, Earn, Legend' program, developed through the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, focuses on encouraging indigenous children to stay in school and aspire to success in the workforce.

With the NRL elite on the Coast for Saturday night's Indigenous All Stars game, NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday revealed $1.5 million raised through the clash would fund a range of community programs across all 16 clubs.

The programs will focus particularly on indigenous programs.

Prince, who alongside Titans teammate Preston Campbell and Test halfback Johnathon Thurston will lead the Indigenous All Stars, said the money going back into Indigenous programs would have great benefits within their communities.

DIEHARD
11-02-10, 12:01 PM
All Stars train, then surf

The NRL All Stars started the day with a training session at Pizzy Park in Burleigh before visiting several schools on the coast. They finished the day with a surf lesson from Mark Ochiluppo and Joel Parkinson.

To watch the NRL All Stars video simply click on the link below,

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=titans-tv&vid=3350

DIEHARD
11-02-10, 12:30 PM
Big loss for the NRL All Stars.

Billy Slater is out!

lethal
13-02-10, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know if there is a curtain raiser to tonights game and if there is who is playing? cheers
Lee

daveyk
13-02-10, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know if there is a curtain raiser to tonights game and if there is who is playing? cheers
Lee

i do believe that its the qld indigenous v nsw indigenous and gate open at 4pm

daveyk
13-02-10, 12:17 PM

its on big fella.... will be leaving home at 3:30ish and walking over...

DIEHARD
13-02-10, 12:19 PM
Which should be a cracker in itself. Go Queensland! Must be a great boost for the youngsters to train and be the curtain raiser for their indigenous heroes.

DIEHARD
13-02-10, 12:26 PM
All Stars set rivalries aside and splash down for charity at Whitewater World

A dream night out for a group of children from across South East Queensland as the NRL?s One Community All Stars charity party kicked off at White Water World on the Gold Coast.

Players from both sides, put their rivalries aside for a few hours as they splashed around with their very special guests.

To watch this exciting All Stars video simply click on the link below

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=titans-tv&vid=3374

DIEHARD
13-02-10, 12:49 PM
Neil Henry talks up the Indigenous All Stars chances
Jason Sintome

It?s a team chock full of NRL superstars, established first graders and some of the codes most exciting youngsters and their work on the training paddock this week has coach Neil Henry quietly confident heading into tonight?s historic All Stars show down on the Gold Coast.

Henry will look to give all of his twenty man squad as much game time as possible, with the Preston Campbell led All Stars set to excite the capacity crowd with a flamboyant game plan.

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEO (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=22564)

DIEHARD
13-02-10, 01:30 PM
Wayne Bennett wraps up All Star preparations
Jason Sintome

Wayne Bennett has applied the finishing touches to his NRL All Stars side ahead of tonight?s historic clash at Skilled Park.

One of the games most successful and respected coaches, Bennett says his squad have just as much to play for as their indigenous counterparts and predicted an entertaining and highly competitive Skilled Park encounter.

CLICK TO WATCTH VIDEO OF INTERVIEW WITH WAYNE BENNETT (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=22565)

DIEHARD
13-02-10, 01:57 PM
Medal struck in Preston's honour
NRL

The Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars will honour Indigenous All Stars captain Preston Campbell tonight, when the fans select the ?Man of the Match?, who will be presented with the aptly named Preston Campbell Medal.

In a decision by the NRL, ARL and ARL Indigenous Council, the Man of the Match award has been named in recognition of Preston?s outstanding work with Indigenous communities and his role as Captain of the inaugural Indigenous All Stars side.

The naming of the award was only decided in the last week, with both NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett and Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry lending their full support to the medal?s namesake.

Rugby League fans will play a crucial part in awarding the game?s newest honour. Continuing the fans? involvement in the selection of both the Indigenous All Stars and NRL All Stars teams, tonight?s crowd and television viewers will decide the inaugural Preston Campbell Medallist via SMS at the ground and during the Nine Network?s television coverage of the game.

Humbled by the decision, Preston Campbell said today:

?I am really honoured that I?ve left my mark on this match, but the All Stars game is not about me.

?From the start, all of the boys have been right behind this game because we are proud of our heritage and our people.

?There?s been a lot of talk this week about what this match means to the community and tonight we are not only playing for ourselves but also for our community ? our families, our friends, our people and all of the Indigenous players of the past who have paved the way for this match.?

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop today congratulated Preston on the accolade and his untiring commitment to supporting Indigenous communities across Australia.

?Preston is a great ambassador for Rugby League and for the Indigenous peoples of Australia, and we are proud to have his leadership and passion in our game,? Mr Gallop said.

?We are pleased to announce the Preston Campbell Medal today as another mark of respect to the endless work Preston does to assist Indigenous communities day in and day out.?

ARL Indigenous Council Chairman, Mr William ?Smiley? Johnstone was also full of praise for Preston?s contribution to Australia?s Indigenous communities.

?We chose to name the man of the match in tribute to Preston for being such an unbelievable inspiration and contributor to the betterment of our people,? Mr Johnstone said.

?Preston gives so much back to Indigenous communities throughout the country and makes such a tremendous difference to so many people?s lives.?

The winner of the inaugural Preston Campbell Medal will be announced at the conclusion of tonight?s Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars match after the spectator and TV viewer SMS votes are tallied.

?As captain of the Indigenous All Stars side, Preston embodies the qualities of a true leader and I know all the fans cannot wait to pay their respects and show their appreciation to him when he takes the field tonight,? ARL Chief Executive, Mr Geoff Carr said.

As the naming of this award was only decided this past week, the inaugural Preston Campbell Medal will be presented to the Man of the Match at a later date.

Cowboy Titan
13-02-10, 02:16 PM
What a fantastic & fitting honour for Preston.

I guess the best thing to top that off for Presto is to actually win his own medal tonight.

Coaster
13-02-10, 02:27 PM
Onya Presto:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

shamus
13-02-10, 03:28 PM
its on big fella.... will be leaving home at 3:30ish and walking over...

Hey Dave.........Don't count on Pete being there on time. I saw him last night and he was in a right old state. He had been at a Variety function all day and couldn't scratch himself.

So needless to say he will probably be his same old grumpy self....just a little worse than normal.

DIEHARD
13-02-10, 03:58 PM
Last minute equipment inclusion. Sportsear! I wanna hear those new commentating initiatives. On the way to the Goldie!

titansrawesome
13-02-10, 10:15 PM
can someone please tell me all the stats from the under 16s indigenous origin game

quinn loves titans
13-02-10, 10:52 PM
wich i could but didnt get to watch was it telecasted

shamus
14-02-10, 01:50 AM
Great game.......I'm pissed, will discuss tomorrow.

TITAN PETE
14-02-10, 08:41 AM
What a game for the 1st match of the year, i went expecting a bit of touch footy & quickly had my mind changed when Bird nearly snapped Bailey in half & it was then that everyone realized that this was going to be a very tough match & the atmosphere was almost Origin like :fist:

Highlights for me were the debut of Burgess & the return of Bird....the Burgess hype is very understated he was clearly the best player on the park & Souths should be excited as i can't wait to watch this bloke play every week....but one Greg Bird has left this Titans fan with very high expectations of the upcoming season as he was very close to being the best player in the Indigenous team with some huge hits & i think he'll be the Titans player we've been missing in the past & he'll be a 5/8 that will be feared by opposing teams :thumbsup:

What a magnificent crowd we had apart from the oxygen thief who ran on the field in the 79th minute, we saw every teams colours in the NRL there with supporters travelling from all over the country which makes one think this game will be regular fixture on the calender & the game of Rugby League is stronger than ever :clap:

It was good to catch up Davey,Mel & a bloke that looked like Doug but he wasn't wearing a Titans singlet................

Cowboy Titan
14-02-10, 11:05 AM
What an incredible event to be part of. The quality of the game was much better than I expected. It was fantastic to be part of the crowd. The noise, especially when Soward scored, was amazing.

daveyk
14-02-10, 11:06 AM
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

what a fanastic start to the year. arrived at around 4:30 and i couldnt believe how many people were there already jsut after gates open.

like pete said it was great to see every NRL team represented in the crowd. there were so many indigenous jerseys and i think i only saw one or two nrl allstars jerseys. it really has wet the appitite now for the season to start in a month time..

the countdown is now on until march 14.....:thumbsup:

Cowboy Titan
14-02-10, 01:24 PM
The only disappointing part of the night to me was the amount of empty corporate boxes. I counted about 30 boxes that were empty. With the demand for tickets, surely these should have been released to the general public.

Apart from that, it was a superb night & I can't wait for next year.

DIEHARD
14-02-10, 02:40 PM
Fox Sports 3 just started a replay of this match now. 1:30pm AEST.

DIEHARD
14-02-10, 06:17 PM
Great to see NITV replaying the All Stars ATM on Foxtel.

GCT_89
14-02-10, 06:27 PM
i wasnt able to attend the game last night but instead got to watch from home.....it was BY FAR the most entertaining game i have ever seen on TV....
albeit, there were a fair few mistakes from boths sides which made the game a lil sloppy, but that'll happen being the first game back for most of those players last night......

An exciting spectacle, the put the best Aboriginal players up against the best of the rest that the NRL could offer, which included players from Australia, New Zealand, England and more.

Great game and one i wish i recorded to watch whenever i wanted....

Mushi
14-02-10, 09:25 PM
Was an awesome game last night and great to be part of such an enthusiastic crowd. So happy that it was on the gold coast and will be for a few more years to come. Certainly a great way to kick off the season and wonderful to see our titans boys play so well last night. Now to wait for round 1......

titansrawesome
14-02-10, 11:01 PM
sigh i wish i could attend all skilled park games...

titanstattman
15-02-10, 04:21 PM
It was great to be back at Skilled.. I did sneak in nd out with not too many ppl seeing me hahaha i wonder way....

It was a great game but IMO i didit really like the 4 qrts or the 4pt things after a try.....

Apart from that it was great night nd great footy...

I hope they dont do it every year maybe every 2nd or 3rd year..

Felicity
15-02-10, 04:46 PM
I enjoyed the match, it was a bit scrappy but thats to be expected being the first real game of the season i guess.

Dont like that powerplay thing though, it was silly :nope:

quinn loves titans
15-02-10, 05:02 PM
yeh it was pretty stupid but every year i reckon

titansrawesome
15-02-10, 05:15 PM
yeh the double try was crap, it would have been ok if you were allowed to kick. also the 4 quarters was pointless.

Cowboy Titan
15-02-10, 05:35 PM
Alf knows what the game was all about
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Pat McLeod
February 15th, 2010

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/02/14/ALLSTARS_WEB_PHOTO_EE354034_12231.JPG
Wendell Sailor with Alf Abdullah, the man who started him on
his way to the top in football Picture: Michael Ross

THE further you move away from the bright lights of Skilled Park and the Gold Coast the more you understand what the All Stars rugby league celebration was all about.

Alf Abdullah knows.

This morning he starts on the 1000km return trip home to Sarina, in north Queensland, the pulsating atmosphere from Saturday night still loud in his ears, his eyes still moist from the emotion.

"This is amazing. Truly unbelievable. This will do so much good," he said as he stood on the turf of Skilled Park 30 minutes after the game as thousands still lingered, soaking up the last drops of what had just occurred.

Abdullah, 73, is the godfather of rugby league in Sarina, but also, more importantly, widely respected within the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people of the wider Mackay region.

For almost 40 years he has worked within his community trying to keep youngsters -- white and black -- 'on the straight and narrow'.

The carrot Abdullah used was rugby league. He lured hundreds of youngsters away from the pitfalls of drug and alcohol abuse and into a healthy lifestyle -- the same message that the All Stars game is pushing.

He has had some notable success stories. Dale Shearer, Martin Bella, Kevin Campion -- all rugby league champions and all past players of Alf's Sarina Crocodiles.

On Saturday night another of Alf's brigade took centre stage, Wendell Sailor.

Of all the players who came under his care, The Dell holds a special place.

"I knew his Dad (Danny) really well. We worked together on the railway," he recalled.

"I remember The Dell from when he was a skinny little kid, through to a big raw-boned teenager. You knew he was going places. A real talent but always smiling and full of cheek."

For Abdullah, Sailor is the essence of what the All Stars game is about. Proving to the indigenous youth of Australia what can be achieved with the right choices, hard work and perseverance.

"Michael (Searle) and Presto (Preston Campbell) have done a great thing here. Just look around at the pride on these people's faces," he said of the Gold Coast Titans managing director and champion player who came up with the All Stars concept and turned it into reality.

The only problem for Searle and Campbell, who captained the Indigenous All Stars, is keeping the game on the Gold Coast. It has been factored in for Skilled Park for next year but after that may be a victim of its own success.

The game, won 16-12 by the Indigenous All Stars, has been a sell-out for a couple of months with almost 27,000 packing Skilled Park.

The push will now be on to take the game to larger stadiums in Brisbane or Sydney.

However as 'a first', Saturday night could not have been scripted better.

There was a special unity, an understanding that what was happening transcended sport. There was an overflowing of emotion and passion, but unlike most sporting battles, on the sideline at least, there was no anger.

The feedback from police to game officials was that the crowd was one of the best behaved of a major gathering.

The game may have started with a declaration of war, an evocative Indigenous team war cry, but it ended with Preston Campbell making a 'peace offering' (a digeridoo) to NRL All Stars captain Darren Lockyer.

As the stadium finally cleared and Sailor signed his final autographs of a lengthy lap of honour, he spied Abdullah and jogged across.

The two men shook hands and embraced.

"This is the man who got me started," Sailor shouted.

He may have just played his final game of rugby league before retirement but both knew they had been at the start of something special.

Ryan
15-02-10, 07:45 PM
yeh the double try was crap, it would have been ok if you were allowed to kick. also the 4 quarters was pointless.

All clubs were concerned about losing their star players in an exhibition match before the season even starts. The 4 quarters was for player fatigue managment - to reduce the risk of injuries. Feel sorry for the Knights and Gidley...

TITAN PETE
15-02-10, 09:07 PM
All clubs were concerned about losing their star players in an exhibition match before the season even starts. The 4 quarters was for player fatigue managment - to reduce the risk of injuries. Feel sorry for the Knights and Gidley...

He was cleared of any ligament damage & at worst will only miss round 1 which is good news as the last thing anyone wants to hear is how injuries were picked up during the match.:salute:

titansrawesome
15-02-10, 10:10 PM

yeah but still they play in trials and injuries can happen there.

squirrell
15-02-10, 10:39 PM
yeah but still they play in trials and injuries can happen there.

Yeah remember presto getting injured in the crappy city country farce they hold every year??!!

quinn loves titans
15-02-10, 10:54 PM
wats so bad about that ahahah ive btw im the 2nd most posting member per day on here 1st obviosly diehard

titansrawesome
15-02-10, 11:29 PM
i think campbell should be utility/fullback for nsw and bird the 5/8

quinn loves titans
16-02-10, 07:52 AM
i think campbell should be utility/fullback for nsw and bird the 5/8

yer deff well have to see how it pans out it kills me to say this but e is not in the build for 5/8 :cry:

jonesy09
16-02-10, 11:21 AM
yer deff well have to see how it pans out it kills me to say this but e is not in the build for 5/8 :cry:

How do you come to that statement??? Australian selectors obviously thought different only 2 seasons ago haha, he has been compared with the King and while that is off the mark at this stage in his career their styles of play are not too different.

TITAN PETE
16-02-10, 11:43 AM
How do you come to that statement??? Australian selectors obviously thought different only 2 seasons ago haha, he has been compared with the King and while that is off the mark at this stage in his career their styles of play are not too different.

I think u will find he was talking about Presto not Bird ;)