PDA

View Full Version : Axe back to fuel Jets

DIEHARD
03-02-10, 10:55 AM
Axe back to fuel Jets

IPSWICH Jets? premiership chances have received a boost with Titans assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister appointed as overseer of the coaching and playing operations at the club.

Gillmeister, who coached Ipswich in the Queensland Cup from 2003-2006, has taken the load off Titans head coach John Cartwright this year and said he had been impressed with what he?s seen so far. The Jets, coached by Glenn Lazarus, are one of three feeder clubs to the Titans.

"I suggested to Carty that I could look after Ipswich and liaise with Lazo a bit more so we can give a bit more feedback to them and they can give a bit more feedback to us," Gillmeister said.

"Hopefully I can provide some positive input for Lazo and give him a different point of view as well.

"They are a good enthusiastic bunch at Ipswich and all keen to learn. Having youthful blokes that are upbeat and bounce around the joint creates enthusiasm for the older blokes.

"Sure, they are going to make a few mistakes but it is a real positive outlook at the club at the moment. I?ll be surprised if they don?t have a really good season.

"There are only a few blokes left there that I coached but I have always had a soft spot for the place. I?d coached before I went to the Jets but they were the club that gave me a start in senior footy. Now I?ve gone onto the NRL but if it wasn?t for them I probably wouldn?t be at the Titans."

Jets CEO Brad Wolens said the former Queensland and Australian hardman would be a regular face at the club in 2010.

"Gilly has been assigned to us as an overseer of the operations as far as the players and coaching goes and we?re expecting to see him at least once a month, if not more frequently," Wolens said.

"The players are well aware of why he is here too. He is running an eye over them all with the possibility of getting a run at the Titans so there is a lot of incentive for them to be putting in."

Gillmeister said the reciprocal nature of the two club?s relationship augured well for the upcoming season.

Jets forwards Warren Schillings, Jacob Ling and AJ Gilbert have trained with the Titans in the pre-season while Gold Coast players Brad Meyers, Matt White, Marshall Chalk, Joseph Tomane, Aaron Cannings, Esi Tonga and Sam Tagataese are among those assigned to the Jets.

"We?ll send a few players back there to Ipswich and to the other feeder clubs as well," Gillmeister said.

"If we are doing that, then it is a sign that we are healthy.

"It is creating competition for spots at our club and also at Ipswich and the other feeder clubs.

"The good thing about Carty is that he is not afraid to try younger blokes so there will obviously be opportunities. He proved that when he gave (teenager) Jordan Rankin a go in the NRL.

"I?m also keen to look at the Ipswich blokes in the trials and the players that are contracted to us who play for Ipswich.

"I?ll speak to Lazo about what we want them to improve on.

"The more they improve playing at Ipswich, the more chance they have of playing NRL. Hopefully that will be a good thing for both clubs."

Meanwhile, former Reds flanker AJ Gilbert has been tipped by Lazarus to play NRL this year and Gillmeister has also been impressed by the versatile 22-year-old forward.

"We were very happy with the way AJ went when he came to us," Gillmeister added.

"The best thing about him is that he?s got a good attitude and a great work ethic.

"That is something that is very hard to teach."

Source: http://www.qt.com.au