PDA

View Full Version : Michael Hagan back for State of Origin

DIEHARD
27-01-10, 01:17 PM
Michael Hagan back for State of Origin

FORMER Queensland coach Michael Hagan is returning to help the Maroons - 15 months after walking away from rugby league because of health problems.

Hagan has held preliminary talks with Maroons coach Mal Meninga and will be added to Queensland's coaching staff this season pending a clearance from his current employer.

Hagan's appointment as Meninga's right-hand man could be announced as early as tomorrow.

The development is a huge boost for the Maroons and Meninga, who began his search for a new assistant coach on Wednesday, following Neil Henry's decision to solely focus on North Queensland this season.

Hagan's coaching days appeared to be over when he dropped a bombshell by quitting Parramatta in October 2008, describing his final months in the job as "torture" after suffering vertigo midway through the season.

But the 45-year-old, who coached the Maroons in 2004-05, is relishing the prospect of a comeback to help steer Queensland to a fifth consecutive series victory.

"I have spoken to Mal and I'm very interested in working with him and helping Queensland," he said.

"I just need to speak to my employer Moylans Business Solutions and I want to do the right thing by them because I've only been with them for two weeks.

"If they are happy for me to devote time to the Maroons, then I'd love to do the job.

"I'm planning to give Mal a call on Monday, I'm sure I can sort something out with my employer."

Hagan failed to win an Origin series during his two-year reign but he has worked with current Maroons Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva and Willie Tonga.

The former Newcastle mentor is confident he has the know-how to assist Meninga, who has openly praised Henry's tactical acumen.

Hagan said he felt reinvigorated after time out of the game.

"I feel a lot better physically and mentally," he said.

"I've really enjoyed having time with my family away from the game but I have a strong interest in it and to be involved at Origin level, it would be hard not to give that some consideration.

"Mal rang me earlier this week and it's a great opportunity for me. I'm in a much better position to be able to help Mal and give him some support in a secondary role. It's a good situation and most importantly, I have the time to do the job.

"I've got a pretty good understanding of what's required for Origin. I've had a fair bit to do with the current squad, some of whom came in when I started with the Maroons back in 2004.

"It's great to be involved again.

"I don't have any real interest in coaching again week to week but this is a totally different opportunity. It will be very enjoyable, it will give me some time to do some research and that's part of the game I really enjoy." Meninga was tightlipped yesterday at a Queensland Emerging Origin squad camp but said his assistant needed to be accepted by the playing group.

"I've talked to a number of people, so I've got some options which is good," he said.

"I've been musing over it for the past week since Neil and Billy (Johnstone) made the decision not to be a part of us this year, which is disappointing, but from my perspective I understand where they are heading.

"Neil was fabulous around the team environment so we need to pick the right person too. It's not just about their skill or ability, you need to consider the dynamic of the team and the players have to get on with them."

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

shamus
27-01-10, 07:00 PM
Sorry............I don't rate the guy. Johns made him look good at Newcastle. I can't even remember what he did with Parra.......obviously not much..:p

daveyk
27-01-10, 07:15 PM
ch9 news tonight said that he has been appointed already... so much for the announcement tomorrow... haha