PDA

View Full Version : Titans give kids 'buzz' out of League

DIEHARD
19-01-10, 08:32 PM
Titans give kids 'buzz' out of League
Adam Gardini

It may be in the thick of summer but rugby league was the order of the day for 130 kids on the Gold Coast today as part of a Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coaching clinic.

http://www.titans.com.au/site/_content/image/00005436-image.jpg
Jetstar Titans duo Ashley Harrison and William Zillman joined a contingent of Titans junior players and ARL Development officers to help teach a group of enthusiastic youngsters some of the finer points of the game along with healthy lifestyle habits.

Jetstar Titans duo William Zillman and Ashley Harrison helped kids get a 'buzz' out of league at the club's coaching clinic at Varsity Lakes. The kids were introduced to all the skills necessary to play rugby league before they were given a talk on nutrition as part of the NRL?s One Community Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well program.

It is the second planned Jetstar Titans coaching clinic for this week, with more 100 kids scheduled to attend another clinic to be held at Waterford, near Logan on Thursday.

Harrison himself remembers the impact a similar visit had on him when he was as an aspiring young rugby league player growing up in Brisbane and said it was great that kids could get a ?buzz? out of rugby league.

?I remember a few of the Broncos players coming out to my school when I was a young kid and I was so happy that I couldn?t stop talking about it for weeks,?? smiled Harrison.

?Hopefully they get the same buzz out of it these days and they continue to play rugby league.

?It?s all about getting the kids out and talking to them about healthy eating and healthy lifestyles.

?It puts a smile of your face to come down and help them out.??

Zillman, a Logan Brothers junior, said it was great that rugby league could be used as a vehicle to help teach kids about healthy lifestyle habits.

?It?s great to get the kids outside and active and what better way than to involve rugby league in it,?? said Zillman.

?As I arrived it is unbelievable how many kids had Titans gear on. It?s a special thing for the club and it?s great because the kids look up to the footy players.??

Harrison said the sea of blue and gold Titans colours at the clinic was a perfect illustration of the reasons why the club was crowned the NRL?s One Community Club of the Year for 2009.

?The Titans have been really active in the community since we?ve been in the competition and we?re really starting to see the benefits of it now,?? he said.

?I think you?re on the right track when you see kids running around the streets in Titans jerseys and shirts so hopefully we can keep winning games and the kids can keep supporting us.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au