PDA

View Full Version : Chalk keen to assist Titans

DIEHARD
11-12-09, 02:12 AM
Chalk keen to assist Titans

http://media.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2009/12/09/IQT_10-12-2009_SPORT_06_chalk02a_t325.jpg
Marshall Chalk has vital experience to offer.

Sarah HarveyFRESH from the Welsh wilderness, ?Mr Fix-it? Marshall Chalk has declared he?s the man to add vital experience to a greenhorn Gold Coast Titans backline.

Back in his hometown of Boonah after a 12-month stint with Super League rookies Celtic Crusaders, Chalk has joined the Titans eager to resume his 71-game NRL career.

While the Titans are beset with a cavalcade of riches in the forwards, coach John Cartwright has assembled a backline bristling with speed but down on experience.

Flying wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead are 19 and 21 respectively and are both coming off their first seasons in the top grade, as is exciting Melbourne Storm recruit Joseph Tomane (19).

In the centres Esi Tonga (21) spent time in the Queensland Cup with the Ipswich Jets, while this week?s addition of Test and NSW representative Greg Bird could push 33-year-old veteran Mat Rogers back into the three-quarter line.

At the Canberra Raiders from 2004-2008, Chalk filled nearly every position available, slotting in anywhere from fullback, wing, centres and the back row.

It?s that versatility that?s made the 28-year-old the perfect bench player in the modern game.

But it?s the centres where Chalk believes he can be of greatest value to the Titans.

?At this stage I?ll be pushing for a centre berth more than anything and fall back on the utility role,? Chalk said. ?(The Titans) haven?t got a lot of experience out wide and I?ve played a bit there before and had some good success for Canberra.

?If not (at the) start of the season hopefully throughout the year I can force my way in.

?I?ve been tagged the utility because out of necessity I?ve been moved around more than anything else.

?That?s a role they might see me in as well, on the bench to fill most positions on the park.

?There?s a lot of representative players at the Titans now, so there?s going to be opportunities all year, and there?s always someone who falls over and is out for the season.

?Hopefully with my experience I can be the guy who steps in at the right time.?

Chalk is under no illusions he faces an uphill battle to crack into a Titans side coming off the back of the club?s maiden finals appearance.

?It?s going to be very tough, they?ve got a really, really strong squad,? Chalk said of this year?s beaten semi finalists. The forward pack?s really strong, so it?s going to be very hard to break into that, especially with the success they had last year.?

A botched knee operation has put Chalk behind the eight-ball, forcing him to begin life as a Titan with the club?s rehab group.

?It?s been pretty frustrating to start at a new club that way,? Chalk said.

?But the best part about it is they?ve been really good about it.

?After Christmas I should be back to full training and be ready for the trial games in February.?

Source: http://www.qt.com.au