PDA

View Full Version : Trial 3: Cowboys vs Titans 2010 in Darwin

DIEHARD
09-12-09, 07:50 PM
Info from Darwin RL. http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=719

2010 NRL Match in Darwin

Cowboys v Titans

Its on again, we have another NRL match in Darwin where the NQ Cowboys will play the Gold Coast Titans on February 27th, 2010.
The curtain raisers will also be great events which will see the Northern Territory Under/16 and Under/18 teams play Townsville in the National Competition. The Mal Meninga and Cyril Connell Cup.

Under 16 game commences at 4.00pm Under 18 at 5.30pm.

Don't Miss Out !!!!

Gates will open at 3.00pm with the main game scheduled to kick off at 7.30pm
Curtain raiser Under 18 and Under 16 Junior Titans v Townsville
Tickets on Sale at the following outlets Tickets go on sale Jan 11th

Darwin Entertainment Centre Phone:- 08 8980 3333
website address www.darwinentertainmentcentre.com.au

Casuarina
Allsports Club Trower Road
Casuarina - Phone:- 08 8920 6900
Palmerston Sports Club - Palmerston - Phone:- 08 8939 0600
website address www.palmerstonsportsclub.com.au
Nightcliff Newsagency, Nightcliff Shopping Centre, Dick Ward Drive
Tourism Top End Visitor Information Centre, 6 Bennett Street, Darwin

Grandstand $28.00 per head (Grandstand tickets are clearly marked as to actual seat and which bay the seat is allocated) Grandstand seating will be monitored by security
General Admission $18.00
Concession
$14.00 Grandstand
$9.00 General Admission (Concession holder will be required to provide ID and present their card/proof of age at point of purchase and gate entry point)
Child 5-16
$14.00 Grandstand
$9.00 General Admission
Child Under 5
General Admission FREE
$14.00 Grandstand
Family Tickets (2 Adults 2 Children)
$68.00 Grandstand
$45.00 General Admission

Parking

Make use of the FREE Bus Service to Richardson Park - (actual route will be advertised in the NT News as the date draws closer.)

Disabled Parking will be limited to persons who are disabled with current Disabled Sticker shown on Car Window.

NO VEHICLES belonging to General Public will be allowed to park in the Public Car Park at Richardson Park.

Anyone who chooses to drive may park in the centre car park at the Darwin Turf Club and take a short walk to Richardson Park
Patrons are asked to please follow traffic rules and abide by the regulations.
ALCOHOL

Under no circumstances will Alcohol be allowed into Richardson Park by Patrons

Bag search at Entry Gate

DISABLED SEATING

Disabled seating and wheelchair access will be provided on the fence line of the ground.

FOOD & BEVERAGE

Food and Beverage stalls will be on site.

ALCOHOL FREE AREA

An ALCOHOL FREE area will be provided for families.

WEATHER

Is out of our control - don't forget your umbrella's and or rain coats!!!

Its back so don't miss this fantastic spectacle of

NRL Rugby League.

BOOK on line or call into the Darwin Entertainment Centre

Darwin Rugby League office phone number 0889 819139

Sydney Titans Fanatic
09-12-09, 09:08 PM
Just booked my airfares from sydney to Darwin and Return, Cant wait this will be an awsome game...Is anybody else going up....please let me know

DIEHARD
14-01-10, 10:16 AM
Big crowd tip for Cowboys' Top End game

TICKETS for next month's NRL pre-season game at Richardson Park went on sale yesterday.

The North Queensland Cowboys and Gold Coast Titans meet on Saturday, February 27, at NT Rugby League headquarters.

General manager Gary Launt expects more than 10,000 fans to cram into the Ludmilla ground.

"The Cowboys have got a lot of fans and the Gold Coast have a big following so we're in for a big night," he said.

"There's a charity luncheon on the Wednesday before the game (February 24) where we'll get a couple of legends of the game to guest speak as well.

"And players from both sides will be selected for the Cage of Death at Crocosaurus Cove. I only hope we don't have to call for replacements after that."

Cowboys front rower and rookie heavyweight boxer Carl Webb will write exclusively for the Northern Territory News in the days leading up to the big game.

Webb's professional fight debut ended in defeat on Monday night when he was knocked out in the third round by journeyman Scott Lewis.

Look out for Webb's inside information on the Cowboys in next week's Game on.

Tickets for Cowboys-Titans game are available at the Darwin Entertainment Centre, Palmerston Sports Club and Casuarina All-Sports.

A grandstand ticket will cost $28 and a spot on the hill and its surrounds $18.

Source: http://www.ntnews.com.au

DIEHARD
09-02-10, 01:19 PM
Tonga back for Top end clash

GOLD Coast Titans centre Esi Tonga has pinpointed this month's Darwin NRL trial as his comeback game.

The 22-year-old is keen to face his brother - North Queensland Cowboys and Maroons origin star Willie - when the two clubs meet at Richardson Park on February 27.

Tonga missed the Titans finals campaign due to a dislocated shoulder and even cancelled an off-season trip to Bali to ensure he would be back in time for the trials.

"I've been working really hard in the pre-season and the boys have seen that I've really been trying to get back into it. Hopefully that'll pay off when it comes to the trials," Tonga said.

Tonga has bulked up from 98kg to 106kg during the off-season and is expected to resume full training later this week.

"I've just started to get back into contact," he said.

Competition is fierce for a spot in the Titans' outside backs with recruits Joseph Tomane (Melbourne Storm), Riley Brown (Sydney Roosters) and Clinton Toopi (rugby union) also keen to impress.

Toopi, the former NZ league international has been given a three-month lifeline by the Titans and will make his debut in the club's first trial against the Brisbane Broncos on Friday night.

Also in the side from the top grade are forwards Matt White and Sam Tagataese, who both played in the Top End last year, while teenage sensation Jordan Rankin also features.

quinn loves titans
14-02-10, 08:13 PM
you going diehard?

Sydney Titans Fanatic
17-02-10, 02:24 PM
For anyone interested ill be heading to darwin for this one... i will do live posts of the score

DIEHARD
17-02-10, 04:33 PM
For anyone interested ill be heading to darwin for this one... i will do live posts of the score

Thanks mate, I won't be able to make it to this game and we'd love updates with scores and interesting events.

Make sure you print out a copy of the team lists and maybe bring some binoculars.

We'd really appreciate this back at homebase, aka Goldie.

It's the third and most important trial before NRL 2010 kick off.

quinn loves titans
17-02-10, 04:50 PM
deff keep updates thoughroly ahahah i just stayed at my computer during the ipswich game

DIEHARD
18-02-10, 07:42 AM
Richo Park litmus test for Willie Mason

RICHARDSON Park will be the venue that makes or breaks Willie Mason's chances of an opening round debut for the North Queensland Cowboys.

The giant forward dons a Cowboys jersey for the first time this Saturday night in the club's curtain-raiser against the Northern Pride, but is likely to get game time in the first-grade hitout as well.

But, if the words of Cowboys coach Neil Henry are any indication, the boom off-season recruit's litmus test will come seven days later in the Top End.

"Hopefully he'll play 40 minutes there (curtain-raiser), maybe 20 minutes in first grade and then some more minutes against the Titans," Henry said.

"We are trying to give him every opportunity to play against the Broncos (in Round 1) but he knows he has to earn that right. The way to do that is get some quality minutes into his legs and game.

"He needs to have a run and we thought it was a good chance to give him a hitout against the Pride in a game that won't be as intense or as quick as the first grade trial."

Henry is pleased with Mason's level of fitness heading into the season, but did say the former Test and Origin enforcer was disadvantaged by the fact he's been training solo after being banished by former club Sydney Roosters.

The Cowboys have named a quality side for the Warriors trial with few injury worries for the club apart from Matthew Bowen.

Northern Territory News columnist Carl Webb has come through the Indigenous All-Stars game with flying colours and will start in the front-row alongside Matt Scott, while Ty Williams has been given the chance at fullback.

Meanwhile, the chances of seeing the brilliant Preston Campbell in the Top End have risen after he was rested from the Gold Coast Titans opening trial against South Sydney in Coffs Harbour.

Titans coach John Cartwright elected to give Campbell a week off following his strong showing as captain of the Indigenous All-Stars team last Saturday night.

Injury ruled the pocket rocket out of last year's trial win over Cronulla at Richardson Park, but he is likely to replace Shannon Walker in the number one jersey in Darwin.

Greg Bird was named alongside Scott Prince in a new-look halves combination, with Mat Rogers in the centres.

Source: http://www.ntnews.com.au/

DIEHARD
18-02-10, 04:03 PM
Rare treat for NT league fans

TERRITORY league fans are in for a treat with sporting legend David Peachey confirmed as guest speaker for the 2010 Sportsmans Luncheon, to be held in Darwin next Wednesday.

The former Cronulla, South Sydney, NSW State of Origin and Australian representative will discuss the state of the game.

The lunch at the Darwin Turf Club will be jointly hosted by the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys and the Northern Territory Rugby League.

It will be a chance for NT league fans to meet Cowboys players visiting Darwin for the Cowboys v the Gold Coast Titans trial match at Richardson Park on Saturday, February 27.

MC and comedian Steve Haddan has the inside view on the Cowboys' latest star signing as Willie Mason settles in to his new club.

Some of the biggest names in the NRL will attend.

DIEHARD
22-02-10, 10:43 AM
Bring on our third and final trial. Let's make it 3 from 3 to start the season.

DIEHARD
22-02-10, 11:10 AM
Match report from the Cowboys last trial...

Cowboys hung out to dry in wet paddock

NORTH Queensland will use this week's camp in Darwin to finetune their spluttering attack ahead of their round one NRL blockbuster against the Brisbane Broncos.

Coach Neil Henry said his side had "plenty to work on" after its 28-6 trial loss to New Zealand at Barlow Park on Saturday night.

More than 8000 fans turned out in monsoonal conditions to watch the annual trial but the Cowboys failed to fire, crossing for just their second try in two games when young winger Obe Geia levelled the scores late in the first half.

"We tried to play a bit more laterally there in the conditions and the boys were a bit excited there," Henry said.

"In the trial last week too (against the Wests Tigers in Mackay) we were a bit disappointing in our attack.

"I was very happy with our committed defence in the first half.

"We need to be a lot more disciplined on the ground. We gave away a lot of penalties. It was very stop-start. We?ve got plenty to work on."

But a camp before the final trial against the Gold Coast Titans in the Top End this weekend is likely to help the Cowboys find their mojo.

"We go up to Darwin now into camp and I said to the boys we?ve probably only got a dozen ballwork sessions to go before we play in round one at Suncorp (Stadium against the Broncos) and we need to be a lot better than that."

The Cowboys attack was not helped by Johnathan Thurston?s absence, the halfback ruled our after experiencing hamstring tightness.

"He was picked but he ended up tightening up," Henry said. "He played 70 minutes (in the All Stars game last week) and he was a bit sore in the legs.

"We didn?t want to risk him because he was a bit tight in the hamstring there. It was a late decision.

"We trained in a lot of rain in Townsville the other day and then we came up on the heavy ground here so we left him out."

Thurston took part in the team?s recovery session at the Esplanade lagoon yesterday and while he declined an interview, said the decision not to play had been made by the coaching staff.

"I was pretty happy with Ray Thompson in the halves there, he played well," Henry said. We were missing JT out there too.

"We were a bit disjointed."

Aaron Payne captained the side in Thurston?s absence and slotted into the halves at times during the match, opening up the hooking role for Clint Amos and Anthony Watts.

"We?re probably our worst critics but that certainly wasn?t our best footy," Payne said.

"In saying that, we can?t get too down on ourselves.

"It?s a trial game, there were some positives to take out of it ? no injuries and that sort of stuff."

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary was pleased with his side?s win.

"You work pretty hard together for a long time so I guess it?s nice to be able to see some of that get translated from the training paddock on to the field when the pressure?s on," he said of the team?s cohesion.

"We?re building nicely but I think the main thing is a lot of individuals look like they?re in pretty good nick which is good."

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 28 (Aaron Heremaia, Lance Hohaia 2, Patrick Ah Van, Bill Tupou tries; Brett Seymour, Kevin Locke, Russell Packer, Shaun Johnson goals) d NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 6 (Obe Geia, tries; John Williams goals).

Source: http://www.cairns.com.au

DIEHARD
23-02-10, 12:54 AM
Cowboys conundrum

FITNESS willing, Johnathan Thurston will play at Richardson Park on Saturday night, but the identity of his halves partner is not as clear.

The No. 6 position is proving to be a conundrum for the North Queensland Cowboys, who lacked cohesion in Thurston's absence during their 28-6 trial loss to the New Zealand Warriors in Cairns.

Hamstring tightness ruled the star halfback out of the Warriors' clash, but he'll arrive in the Top End with the rest of the NRL team today.

That defeat to the Warriors magnifies the importance the Cowboys will place on the Darwin trial against the Gold Coast Titans, who opened 2010 with a solid 28-22 success over South Sydney at Coffs Harbour.

Saturday's match is the final trial hitout for the Cowboys ahead of their Round 1 blockbuster against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Mackay product Grant Rovelli was given the first crack at five-eighth in Cairns, but an indifferent first hitout against his former club means Cowboys coach Neil Henry has some thinking ahead. Speaking following the Warriors loss, Henry was frank about Rovelli's performance.

"Rovelli buzzed around OK but he came up with a couple of errors, there was a bit of pressure on him. It was a bit hard, we were disjointed and we made a lot of changes with rotations, but he'll be better for the run," Henry said.

One of Henry's options is shifting 20-year-old rookie Ray Thompson, who impressed many by ably filling Thurston's shoes against the Warriors, to five-eighth.

"I was pretty happy with Ray Thompson in the halves there, he played well," Henry said.

Regular hooker Aaron Payne has also been touted as a possible contender, having spent time at pivot in Cairns, with Anthony Watts the fourth man in the mix.

In contrast, the Titans, who will arrive in Darwin on Thursday, are settled in the halves with Greg Bird and Scott Prince the stars of the Coffs Harbour win.

One thing the Cowboys will be looking for is some clear weather with the Cairns game marred by heavy rain and boggy conditions.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/

DIEHARD
23-02-10, 04:43 AM
Darwin flight just the ticket for Brown

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/02/22/give-me-shot-cowboys.jpg
New Gold Coast Titans recruit Riley Brown hopes to get a final chance to impress in the club's last remaining pre-season clash against the Cowboys in Darwin

TITANS recruit Riley Brown has asked for a final chance to impress as Gold Coast coach John Cartwright prepares to name his squad for the club's last remaining pre-season clash against the Cowboys in Darwin.

After a strong showing for the Titans against Souths in Coffs Harbour at the weekend, which included scoring a clever try from dummy-half, former Roosters rake Brown has thrust his name firmly in the mix for a bench spot for Round 1.

But first he must make it on the plane to the Northern Territory when the team flies out on Thursday for their last warm-up.

"I am not sure how many they are taking but hopefully there is a spot there for me and I get to go up there and play the Cowboys," said Brown from the Titans training camp in Coffs Harbour yesterday.

"I am pretty happy with the way I have been playing. I have got to know all the plays and am pretty comfortable when I am out there."

Cartwright has shown a preference in the past to carry a utility on the bench, a role taken on last year by Luke O'Dwyer.

But with O'Dwyer set to miss the start of the season as he continues his rehabilitation from a serious knee injury, a position appears up for grabs.

If given a shot against the Cowboys, Brown will come up against former Sydney Roosters teammate Willie Mason, who is embarking on his quest to earn a spot for Round 1.

"He has gone to a new club and is looking for a fresh start and so am I," said Brown.

"You only have to see the size of him, his strength and his speed.

"If he puts it all together I reckon he has definitely got it in him to have another good year."

The Titans have meanwhile sat down with their three Queensland Cup feeder clubs -- Burleigh, Tweed Heads and Ipswich -- to work out player allocation.

If unsuccessful, Brown will return to the Queensland Cup with the Burleigh Bears.

"If that happens I will just cop it on the chin and keep training hard and try and play well in the Queensland Cup," said Brown.

"If there is a few injuries or what not, I just want to make sure I am in good form and ready to go."

Clinton Toopi, Bodene Thompson and Jordan Atkins have also been aligned to the Bears, while Brad Meyers, Matthew White, William Zillman, Sam Tagataese, Esi Tonga, Marshall Chalk and Aaron Cannings have been assigned to Ipswich.

The Seagulls will get Selasi Berdie, Will Matthews, Kevin Gordon, Michael Henderson, Josh Graham, David Mead, Luke O'Dwyer, Ben Ridge, Shannon Walker and Kayne Lawton.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

quinn loves titans
23-02-10, 05:22 PM
The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will welcome back pint-sized dynamo Preston Campbell for Saturday night?s final pre-season trial match against the North Queensland Cowboys in Darwin.

Campbell was rested from last weekend?s trial match win over Souths in Coffs Harbour but will return for the Jetstar Titans at fullback this weekend.

It will mark the 32-year-old?s second match of the pre-season after he guided the Indigenous All Stars to victory in the inaugural All Stars match at Skilled Park nine days ago.

In other team changes, Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright has opted to rest prop Luke Bailey against the Cowboys while winger Jordan Atkins (knee) and forward Ben Ridge (hamstring) will both miss the match after suffering injuries in the trial against Souths.

New recruit Greg Bird again lines up in the halves with Jetstar Titans captain Scott Prince in their second match together.

The Jetstar Titans will wrap up a five-day pre-season training camp at Coffs Harbour tomorrow before leaving for Darwin on Thursday.

The annual camp has been an important part of the club?s pre-season preparations for the past four years.

The full 21-man squad to play the Cowboys at Richardson Park, Darwin is listed below:

1 Preston Campbell
2 David Mead
3 Mat Rogers
4 Joseph Tomane
5 Kevin Gordon
6 Greg Bird
7 Scott Prince
8 Matthew White
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
14 Selasi Berdie
15 Will Matthews
16 William Zillman
17 Riley Brown
18 Sam Tagataese
19 Bodene Thompson
20 Marshall Chalk
21 Clinton Toopi

DIEHARD
24-02-10, 04:55 AM
A Darwin debut for Presto

THERE are not too many things Preston Campbell hasn't done in rugby league.

But the diminutive Gold Coast Titans custodian will get a chance to tick another box when, after 12 years in the NRL, he plays his first game of rugby league in Darwin on Saturday night.

Since his inspirational performance leading the Indigenous All Stars to victory over their NRL counterparts 11 days ago, Campbell was given the chance to rest up after missing last week's trial win over Souths Sydney and pre-season training camp in Coffs Harbour.

But he gets another chance to blow out the cobwebs after yesterday being named to take on the Cowboys at fullback in a near full-strength 21-man squad by coach John Cartwright.

"I've been in the NRL 12 years and I haven't had the chance to play up there but taking the game to places like Darwin is one of the good sides of having trial games," said Campbell yesterday.

"The fans get to come out and see their teams or favourite players running around and obviously rugby league is always trying to grow.

"Darwin has its competition and I'm sure the city will be waiting for a big game on Saturday."

With the exception of injuries to Michael Henderson (toe), Ben Ridge (hamstring), Jordan Atkins (knee) and Cartwright's decision to rest Luke Bailey, the match shapes as another dress rehearsal for the Titans before their opening round clash with the Warriors at Skilled Park on March 14.

Campbell hopes he will be wearing the No.1 in the opening round but admitted with a 2010 squad full of depth, he may not get his way.

"There are a lot of players coming through, the boys have been training well and the competition (for spots in the squad) is good," said Campbell of the selection headaches awaiting the Titans selection panel.

"I favour fullback but things happen and the season can change and you have to change with it."

Greg Bird again lines up in the halves with captain Scott Prince while recruits Marshall Chalk, Clinton Toopi and Riley Brown get another chance to impress after being named on the bench.

Joseph Tomane, who displayed his damaging power in the opening trial wins over Souths and Brisbane, also gets another chance to secure a place in the centres.

Titans squad to play the Cowboys in Darwin on Saturday: Preston Campbell, David Mead, Mat Rogers, Joseph Tomane, Kevin Gordon, Greg Bird, Scott Prince, Matthew White, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison, Selasi Berdie, Will Matthews, William Zillman, Riley Brown, Sam Tagataese, Bodene Thompson, Marshall Chalk, Clinton Toopi.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
24-02-10, 06:57 PM
NRL stars mix fun with message

AFTER a leisurely training session the North Queensland Cowboys yesterday morning took the chance to mix with Northern Territory talents-to-be in the warm-up for their trial match against the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday.

Three hundred primary school students from across the Territory had the opportunity to kick the football with the Cowboys and tackle their favorite rugby league stars as part of the "Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well" campaign.

Campaign development officer Pete Reeves said getting the stars together with Territory school students was a good way to teach the children an easy way of taking healthy exercise.

"It's about getting the kids out and interacting with the guys they usually watch on TV," he told the Northern Territory News.

"And for them, while having fun, it portrays the message to eat well, to play well."

Luke O'Donnell, Cowboy of the Year and Players' Player of the Year in 2009, said spending time with young locals was also a good way to promote rugby league.

"It breaks up our week a bit in the lead-up to the match on Saturday and it's a good opportunity to spread the good word about rugby league in the NT," the 29-year-old said.

"The kids are out enjoying themselves and we might even spot a few potential talents."

Mr O'Donnell said the clash with the Titans on Saturday marked an important time of the season. "Everyone will be trying to impress the coach and play a great game," he said .

"Last week we didn't have the full strength but this week we will start with a top-line team.

"Of course we hope to win."

Before taking on the Gold Coast Titans at 7.30pm on Saturday at Richardson Park, the Cowboys will hold an open training on Friday and a player signing session on Saturday.

http://www.ntnews.com.au

DIEHARD
24-02-10, 06:58 PM
Berdie gets chance

FORMER Mackay footballer Selasi Berdie will press further claims for a regular role at the Gold Coast Titans this year after being selected for a second successive trial match.

Berdie, 23, will play in a pre-season NRL trial against the North Queensland Cowboys at Darwin on Saturday after playing for the Titans against the Brisbane under-20 team last weekend.

?Big Bird?, who is dual registered with the Tweed Heads Seagulls in the Queensland Cup, will be looking for a breakthrough year with the Titans after working hard during the off-season.

The hulking prop has played just two NRL matches since joining the Titans in 2008.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au

Cowboy Titan
24-02-10, 09:54 PM
Cowboys side to play Titans in Darwin

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.as...tans-in-darwin

Wednesday, 24 February 2010

A full-strength Toyota Cowboys side will face off against the Titans this Saturday night in the all-important third and final trial game at Richardson Park in Darwin.

Coach Neil Henry will be watching individual performances closely as the players compete for their place in the side to play the Broncos in round 1 on Friday 12 March.

Look out for the play-off between Grant Rovelli and Ray Thompson for five eighth, while Ty Williams will be looking to impress as fullback vs Shannon Gallant.

Willie Mason will start from the bench and will also be out to make the most of his playing time.

The game will cap off a busy week of appearances for the team, with a hospital visit scheduled for Thursday, an open training session on Friday (9am-10.30am, Richardson Park) and a shopping centre visit (10.30am-11.30am, Casuarina Square) still to come ahead of Saturday night's game.

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys v Gold Coast Titans
Trial game, 7.30pm, Saturday 27 February
Richardson Park, Darwin

Team:

1. Ty Williams
2. John Williams
3. Ashley Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. Michael Bani
6. Grant Rovelli
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matthew Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. Carl Webb
11. Scott Bolton
12. Steve Southern
13. Luke O'Donnell

Interchange:

14. Anthony Watts
15. Will Tupou
16. Antonio Kaufusi
17. Manase Manuokafoa
18. Ray Thompson
19. Steve Rapira
20. James Tamou
21. Willie Mason

Coach: Neil Henry

DIEHARD
24-02-10, 10:12 PM
What's the story on Matt Bowen? I really miss seeing him on the field.

quinn loves titans
24-02-10, 10:48 PM
You can tell by the look of our team and the look of their team on which one is going to come out on top. with thurston not concencrating on league willie going badly and selling tronc their best player last year. plus combine that with the flare of gold coast and bbirthday luck for prince and i can see a floggging.

DIEHARD
25-02-10, 07:13 PM
Cowboys game for NT links

SPEAKING OUT: Johnathan Thurston at the sell-out Sportsman's Luncheon at the Darwin Turf Club yesterday. Picture: PATRINA MALONE
THEY were the two interviews the cream of the national media has been unable to get their hands on this week.

But with a smile, gentle stroke of the ego, and the full ConfideNTial charm, rugby league legends Willie Mason and Johnathan Thurston spoke publicly yesterday for the first time during their visit to the Top End.

Both the towering and ever-smiling Mason, and slightly-limping Thurston had nothing but praise for the Territory.

They were two of the star-studded North Queensland Cowboys' player list to press the flesh at the sell-out Sportsman's Luncheon at the Darwin Turf Club yesterday.

One Cowboys' minder seemed a bit worried when advised that ConfideNTial wanted to talk to Thurston about his fashion sense - particularly his choice in footwear.

For the record, Thurston was sporting a pair of eye-catching patent-leather business shoes.

Mason said it was different visiting the NT this time around.

"I was up here in '97," he said, "I played against the NT Invitational side. I was 16 at the time."

He said he was not sure how his team would fare against the Gold Coast Titans, but hoped that it would be a good game for the fans.

Thurston said he was looking forward to developing community relationships over the coming three years of the partnership between the team - already one of the most popular sides in the NRL - and the Territory Government.

He said it was important for the community-based team to be continuing those sorts of relationships.

Vice-captain Aaron Payne, Maroons Origin pair Carl Webb and Willie Tonga, Kangaroos lock Luke O'Donnell and excitement machine Matt Bowen were also at the lunch to meet a legion of new fans who declared they were now NQ Cowboys' fans.

That's bad news for the Gold Coast Titans - who many keen judges are tipping for the title this year - who the Cowboys will take on at Harvey Norman Stadium at Richardson Park on Saturday.

http://www.ntnews.com.au

DIEHARD
25-02-10, 07:14 PM
Defence focus for return to finals

IF you want to score a try against the Cowboys in 2010, you are going to have to earn it.

At least that's the plan as North Queensland firmly set their sights on becoming one of the NRL's top four defensive units on their way to a long-awaited return to the finals.

The club finished an impressive sixth for tries conceded last season, allowing just 83 four-pointers at a tick under 3.5 per game - their second best return in a 14-season history.

But wholehearted back-rower Steve Southern said the Cowboys had made a pact to ramp up their stingy defence even further from March 12. ''You have got to be in the top four in both things, your attack and your defence, so that's our goal for this year,'' said the 27-year-old Dapto product.

''We know we can score points so we don't want to let too much in.''

With little chance to work on their attack due to continuing rain in Townsville, coach Neil Henry said defence had been the focal point since the pre-season began in November.

''We have set some goals defensively,'' Henry said.

''We aim to be in the top six sides defensively and the top four would be good.''

Ironically, the Cowboys' best defensive season came in 2006, when they conceded a miserly 80 tries to finish as the third best side only to miss out on the finals.

The mission to top that did not get off to the best start in Saturday's trial loss to the Warriors in Cairns, letting in five tries in the 28-6 loss, but there were positive signs.

They repelled raid after raid from a well-drilled Warriors attacking unit, who had the ball for all of the first five minutes, but could not find a way through the wall.

What brought the Cowboys undone more often than not was their discipline, either giving away silly penalties in the ruck or turning the ball over in their own half.

The weight of possession eventually told and NQ conceded three late tries.

''When we had our main players on at the start I was pretty happy with our commitment defensively and how we handled their attack,'' Henry said.

''As we got to the back end of the game we made a lot of changes and fell away a bit under the weight of a bit of possession, but in the end it's a fairly comprehensive loss.

''You don't like to lose any game, really, particularly at home but it's a trial and we'll go back and work a bit harder over the next couple of weeks.''

Henry said rectifying the team's poor discipline would be a key focus ahead of Saturday's final NRL trial against the Gold Coast Titans in Darwin.

''We need to be better than that ... whichever way we go we need to not give away that many penalties and we need to address it for the Titans game.''

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/

Sydney Titans Fanatic
25-02-10, 07:52 PM
What's the story on Matt Bowen? I really miss seeing him on the field.

Wednesday, 2 September 2009
North Queensland Toyota Cowboys livewire fullback Matthew Bowen is to undergo the same groundbreaking treatment to regrow cartilage in his damaged right knee that resurrected his left knee and rugby league career in 2008.

Bowen will have a chondrocyte implantation operation on his right knee on 23 September, following an arthroscope performed yesterday.

Cartilage tissue was taken from the knee yesterday and will be re-grown externally at facilities in Perth, before being transferred back during the operation later this month.

Bowen will then undergo extensive rehabilitation to prepare him for an expected return to play two months into season 2010.

The same procedure was performed on his left knee last year with great success.

Bowen returned for the Cowboys in 2009 in full fitness, scoring a try in the season opener against the Broncos and going on to score his 100th NRL and Cowboys try in round 21

DIEHARD
25-02-10, 08:05 PM
Titans aiming to ?put on a show? in Darwin

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are determined to ?put on a show? for Darwin rugby league fans in tomorrow night?s clash against the North Queensland Cowboys.

The Jetstar Titans will take on the Cowboys at Richardson Park, Darwin in their final trial match of the pre-season before the club?s season-opening NRL clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park on Sunday, March 14.

It will mark the Jetstar Titans? second pre-season match in Darwin in as many seasons after the club defeated the Cronulla Sharks this time last year at the same venue.

The Jetstar Titans arrived in Darwin this afternoon to be greeted by wet and hot conditions but captain Scott Prince and dual International Mat Rogers said they hoped the conditions would allow them to still ?put on a show? for Darwin rugby league fans.

?It?s good for the fans up in Darwin ? they don?t get to see a lot of NRL football so it?ll be good put a bit of a show on for them,?? said Rogers, whose late father Steve worked as a rugby league administrator in Darwin.

?It?ll be hot but we played here last year and it?s just good to get away as a team. You seem to gel better when you?re away and you?re sort of hanging out more.

?It?s going to be tough but it?s the same conditions for both teams.??

Prince said the club?s second visit to Darwin again provided fans with a chance to mingle with the players, with a coaching clinic to be held tomorrow morning at Richardson Park followed by an appearance at Palmerston Shopping Centre on Saturday.

?It?s always good to play against quality teams like the Cowboys and we?ll go out there and have some fun and put on a bit of a show for the Darwin community,?? said Prince.

?A few of the boys will be doing a coaching clinic tomorrow and then on Saturday itself we?ve got a shopping centre visit as well so they?ll be out there mingling.??

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said the Darwin trial provided his side with a good early challenge while also being beneficial for the game of rugby league in the Northern Territory.

?It?s a good test to come up here and trial. It?s trying conditions ? whether it be raining, humid or hot ? and that?s what you want to get out of your trials, especially for us because we do a lot of travelling during the season and you want to get used to it early,?? said Cartwright.

?And we?re doing a good thing for rugby league too. We want to see rugby league prosper and Darwin is an area that I?d definitely like to see at some stage down the track, a side competing in the NRL.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 08:53 AM
Tomane plans central role

Big Gold Coast Titans centre Joseph Tomane puts his back into training before tonight's final trial against North Queensland in Darwin

HE arrived at the Gold Coast Titans as a centre and hulking new recruit Joseph Tomane wants to prove that's where he belongs in Darwin tonight.

Snapped up by the Titans from the Storm last season, coach John Cartwright has no doubt the 20-year-old -- who played alongside Gold Coast Wallaby James O'Connor at Nudgee College -- has the capacity to bring extra grunt to their backline this season.

He can secure his spot out wide for the season opener against the Warriors on March 14 with a strong performance in the club's final trial against the Cowboys.

"We brought him in as a centre and he has played both games (against the Broncos and Rabbitohs) there," said Cartwright of Tomane.

"He did well in the first trial in Ipswich and I thought he was strong again last week so he gets another chance to press his claims."

Forwards Brad Meyers, Bodene Thompson, Selasi Berdie, Will Matthews, Sam Tagataese, Riley Brown and utility Marshall Chalk will also be chasing big efforts tonight to impress the selection panel.

Matt White is in the same position, however he will be given until this morning to prove his fitness after catching a bug in the team camp which kept him confined to the hotel yesterday.

Cartwright said teenage forward Ronnie Alovili was flown to Darwin yesterday to cover White should he be ruled out.

Despite missing tonight's clash, front row pairing Luke Bailey (rested) and Michael Henderson (toe) are expected to force their way into the season-opener.

"You don't have to worry about them too much as far as fitness is concerned, they train every day and they will be ready to go," said Cartwright, dismissing any thought Henderson and Bailey will be underdone in the season opener. "As long as their injuries are clear they will be in the side there somewhere.

"The other guys have something to play for and I know they want to be there against the Warriors and I'll be looking for them to show good attitude, turn up ready to play and play the way we train."

Cartwright expects the Cowboys to provide a stiff hitout for his men despite being convincingly beaten by the Warriors in a trial in Cairns last weekend.

"They are very strong on paper (and) they will not want to be going into the competition losing two games."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:00 AM
Bird all set to take flight

NORTH Queensland coach Neil Henry knows first-hand what damage Greg Bird and Scott Prince can impose on opposition teams.

A fortnight ago Henry was in charge of the Indigenous All-Stars team that featured the star duo who tonight are the opposition as the Cowboys play the Gold Coast Titans at Richardson Park.

"Greg's a talented footballer, I think he'll slot straight back into the NRL and really adds a lot of strength to the Titans," Henry said.

"He was in great form in the Indigenous side I had and we all know Scotty Prince is a tremendous player."

Prince concurs with Henry's thoughts about his new halves partner, who has made a good early impression since arriving during the off-season.

"Greg's a very good player - he has really slotted straight in and brings a lot of aggression to the team," Prince said.

"We couldn't put on some of the moves we practised in Coffs Harbour because of the slippery conditions and it doesn't look too good for us here.

"Combinations always take time to work, but every trial is a good chance to work on our cohesion ahead of Round 1."

While the Bird-Prince partnership offers stability to the Titans, the Cowboys are still trying to nail their halves pairing of Johnathan Thurston and the unheralded Grant Rovelli.

Rovelli made only 12 first-grade appearances in his debut season for the Cowboys in 2009 and is under pressure having not set the world on fire in the club's 28-6 loss to the Warriors in Cairns last week.

But Henry has kept faith in the 26-year-old and has backed him to shine on what looks set to be a typical Darwin wet season night.

"Grant's a good player, he had an unhappy game last week but that was his first trial and we didn't have JT out there," he said.

''He's moved on from that and we have too, we've talked about a couple of things _ he's an experienced half and he's in the box seat to partner JT for the season.''

But the skills of the talented quartet could be blunted by the constant rain which has lashed the Top End in recent days. For the Cowboys it is not unique considering wet weather has followed them like a bad show this pre-season, with Henry at his philosophical best when quizzed on the topic.

''It will be difficult to play attacking football as the weather limits what both sides can do with the ball,'' he said.

''We would have liked to get a dry track and it does change our plans a bit as it will be heavier under foot for the big men.''

So what does that mean for boom off-season recruit Willie Mason?

Henry answered: ''He'll come off the bench and is pushing for a starting spot against the Broncos in Round 1. We're looking at him playing 40-50 minutes _ the fact the weather might be a bit cooler can counter the heavy track.''

Both sides are expected to go in as per the program.

Kick-off is at 7.30pm.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:03 AM
Rain can?t dampen Titans spirit

A monsoonal downpour couldn?t dampen the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans? spirits today as the club finalised its preparations for tomorrow night?s clash against the Cowboys in Darwin with a training session and community visit.

The Jetstar Titans were fortunate enough to beat the rain by conducting an early morning training session at Richardson Park before continual heavy downpours later in the day saw a planned Titans coaching clinic forced indoors.

Despite the rain, the Jetstar Titans ? led by Ken Stephen medal winner Preston Campbell - mingled and signed autographs for more than 350 school students from Darwin while also spreading healthy lifestyles messages through the NRL?s ?Eat Well, Stay Well, Play Well?? program.

The community visit by the Jetstar Titans in Darwin follows on from the club?s extensive work during the recent Community Carnival week and also at schools in Coffs Harbour after last weekend?s trial match against Souths.

The Jetstar Titans will also conduct an official parliamentary reception in Darwin this afternoon and a visit to Palmerston Shopping Centre tomorrow morning at 10.30am before taking on the Cowboys at Richardson Park from 7.30pm.

On the football paddock, prop Matt White was the only member of the Jetstar Titans 21-man playing squad which travelled to Darwin who was unable to train this morning after feeling ill.

However, the front rower is still a chance of playing against the Cowboys.

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said the trial match acted as the final chance to ready his side for the club?s NRL season opener against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park on Sunday, March 14.

?It?s about getting game time going into the first competition game,?? he said.

?This week is about getting ready for the Warriors game and it?s a chance for players to impress who are borderline (selections for Round 1).??

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 07:50 PM
Saturating rain in Darwin. It's going to be old school!

Cowboy Titan
27-02-10, 07:57 PM
Saturating rain in Darwin. It's going to be old school!That'll mean the Cowboys haven't had a dry game in any of their trials. It can't help their preparation.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 08:01 PM
The field should get real muddy. Titans bus just rolled up and the boys are pumped.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 08:23 PM
We will also be getting some updates from our own Luke O'Dwyer, who will be twittering updates.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 08:27 PM
Luke O'Dwyer: "40 mins til kickoff. Rain has stopped but a very wet field!"

Follow him on Twitter. http://twitter.com/lukeodwyer

Thanks to Steve for letting me know!

helcam4
27-02-10, 08:27 PM
yeah i know i`m talking 2 him , lol , more updates the better

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 08:30 PM
Tony Archer and Chris James will be our refs tonight.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 08:44 PM
Gold Coast are wearing their away strip

quinn loves titans
27-02-10, 08:59 PM
ive blown off a party for this better be a good game but i promised this year i would not leave the titans EVER!

helcam4
27-02-10, 09:07 PM
lol, yeah i`m not going to my cousins engagement party so i can watch the charity shield and get updates of the trial.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:10 PM
KICK OFF!

Titans awarded penalty. More to come.

helcam4
27-02-10, 09:15 PM
hey diehard do u know anyone at the tweed trial tonite?

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:16 PM
Titans knock on, Cowboys ball. Cowboys lose it. Very slippery conditions!

Titans lose ball over try line, Cowboys run down field, touched by Titans, 6 to go. Cowboys kick. Line drop out.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:18 PM
hey diehard do u know anyone at the tweed trial tonite?

Nah sorry, don't know anyone there. I'd imagine it'd be pretty wet and miserable!

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:30 PM
Cowboys score through #9. Thurston missed conversion. Cowboys 4 - Titans 0

DIEHARD
Silly offload from Titans, Cowboys run down field. Penalty to Cowboys, not on side

DIEHARD
Knock on by Titans, Cowboys ball. Willie Mason has entered the game to cheers and jeers

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:31 PM
Goal line drop out and Titans got the ball. Titans play out wide but slide across sideline...

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:34 PM
Play stops. Thurston is down. Trainers are attending to him. Looks like he is ok. Play continues...

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:39 PM
Cowboys score through John Williams, Thurston converts...

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:39 PM
That's halftime. Cowboys 10 - Titans 0

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 09:41 PM
Bird hits Cowboy player in a highish tackle. No penalty but Bird is down, trainers with him..

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:06 PM
Kevin Gordon scores in the corner! Here we come! 10-4

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:10 PM
Luke O'Dwyer: "Boys are starting to play!!!"

Coaster
27-02-10, 10:14 PM
Awesome I missed first half. Bring it home fellas. Ask odwyer if Steve and ross are drunk

Boofhead
27-02-10, 10:14 PM
What's the go with bird?

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:16 PM
Ep. My updates have run dry...

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:17 PM
8554 crowd in Darwin! In the rain! They love their Rugby League!

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:18 PM
Willie Mason copping heaps of stick from the crowd

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:18 PM
Luke ODonnell scores and converts for Cowboys...

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:19 PM
If I havent heard otherwise, I imagine Bird is fine.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:20 PM
Cowboys lead Titans 16-4.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:21 PM
Friend defending strong as usual (Brad)

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:22 PM
Titans take ball on the full ingoal. 20m restart!

TITAN PETE
27-02-10, 10:26 PM
Awesome I missed first half. Bring it home fellas. Ask odwyer if Steve and ross are drunk

I'm pretty sure they didn't go

TITAN PETE
27-02-10, 10:28 PM
Mead scores for Titans! Scott misses the conversion.

from Chalky
Cowboys win 22-4. A few injuries to the boys hopefully be right in two weeks.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:30 PM
Michael bani scores a 80m try cowboys 22-4 with 1 min to go.

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:31 PM
how is that possible if mead and gordan both scored?

I was sent the wrong info. Not sure how you can confuse that though. Must have meant Bani.

TITAN PETE
27-02-10, 10:32 PM
how is that possible if mead and gordan both scored?

Mead didn't score

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Everything was going haywire.

Disappointing result to be honest. Seems we need to be alot more disciplined and we really missed Bull and Hendo.

We should still take alot of positives out of this hard match in terrible conditions. A wake up call would probably be better than a win in some cases.

Souths looked strong tonight in the Charity shield as well.

titansrawesome
27-02-10, 10:39 PM
im pumped for this season now, i don't read much into these trials though, also i'll be routing for melbourne monday morning and i bet the english coommentators will be biased AGAIN.

Coaster
27-02-10, 10:40 PM
The game means nothing. Win or lose. 2 weeks time it matters

Titan Pete do you know Steve and Ross?

TITAN PETE
27-02-10, 10:42 PM

Very well mate

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 10:46 PM
Bani scored off an intercept, not sure who threw it.

ODonnell got man of the match.

And right on Pete, 2 weeks is when it counts! After that I don't wanna see a backward step.

Coaster
27-02-10, 10:46 PM
I'm there dent guy. Haha it's a wonder we havnt met

titansrawesome
27-02-10, 10:50 PM
is it a long shot to say titans minor premiers this year?

Coaster
27-02-10, 10:52 PM
is it a long shot to say titans minor premiers this year?

Not at all IMO I think we are specials. We are down to about $9

TITAN PETE
27-02-10, 10:54 PM
I'm there dent guy. Haha it's a wonder we havnt met

I've been to the last 4 Sportsman lunch that Chalky has put on...have u been to any ?

titansrawesome
27-02-10, 10:54 PM
don't we get like 200k for minor premiership? that would be a nice boost

Coaster
27-02-10, 11:00 PM
I've been to the last 4 Sportsman lunch that Chalky has put on...have u been to any ?

No I havnt but have asked Steve to put me in the list. They said last week they were going up tonight.

I only see them once every couple of months as I am more up the northern end of town

TITAN PETE
27-02-10, 11:08 PM
No I havnt but have asked Steve to put me in the list. They said last week they were going up tonight.

I only see them once every couple of months as I am more up the northern end of town

I was supposed to go with them & Chalkys oldman who had organised it but i couldn't take the time off (had to move work shops), i know Ross was keen as he wanted to visit his son but he was still working on Friday so i thought he wasn't going as the rest of them flew up Thursday ...

isaiah
27-02-10, 11:43 PM

lol, lose and it doesn't matter, win and you cant stop cheering, lol

like the false optimism last season when you beat the broncs at skilled.
who knocked you out in the finals?

Coaster
27-02-10, 11:45 PM

How did you go tonight? Did you beat Redcliff?
Are you a little scared your the third team in Qld?

DIEHARD
27-02-10, 11:49 PM

Er I think we all realised that they had something like 2million dollars worth of talent on the side line for that match.

titansrawesome
27-02-10, 11:54 PM
im getting mixed signals from isiah, what is he trying to say.

Coaster
28-02-10, 12:08 AM
im getting mixed signals from isiah, what is he trying to say.

Pretty simple. He is a bronco supporter you have to watch for them they sneak in with the humans

titansrawesome
28-02-10, 12:19 AM
ahhh i see, yes well they didn't knock us out of the finals anyway, and im pretty dure they will be dominated by us this year with that horrible forward pack plus hunt is gone and hodges is screwed, there only hope is if kahu does really good.

Mushi
28-02-10, 08:17 AM
This is what trial games are all about. A loss will be a nice wake up call before round 1 in two weeks time. Any injury reports though?? Will be interesting to see the team for round 1 when Carty announces it.

DIEHARD
28-02-10, 10:03 AM
Titans fall to Cowboys in Darwin
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have suffered their first loss of the pre-season, going down to the North Queensland Cowboys 22-4 at Richardson Park, Darwin tonight.

The Jetstar Titans had registered strong pre-season wins over the Brisbane Broncos and Souths but were made to pay for too many mistakes in wet conditions tonight in a four-tries-to-one loss.

The Jetstar Titans were in the contest for the majority of the match but conceded three late tries in the final 12 minutes to fall to their first loss of the pre-season.

Before a vocal crowd of almost 8500, both sides struggled with ball control early on before the Cowboys took a 10-nil lead through tries to Luke O'Donnell and John Williams.

The Jetstar Titans were the first to score after the halftime break through winger Kevin Gordon and were back in the armwrestle until O'Donnell scored a second try and winger Michael Bani ran 80m to score in the 78th minute.

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 22 (L O?Donnell 2, J Williams, M Bani tries; J Thurston, J Williams 2 goals) defeated the GOLD COAST TITANS 4 (K Gordon try). Crowd: 8500.

DIEHARD
28-02-10, 10:09 AM
Bird under fire for late Thurston hit

A LATE shot by Gold Coast star Greg Bird on North Queensland's Test halfback Johnathan Thurston has left the Titans sweating on the availability of their major recruit.

A shaken-up Thurston was forced from the field at the half-hour mark of his team's trial win.

He was whacked by Bird after offloading the ball in an incident that could attract further investigation from the NRL match review committee. Thurston rolled on the ground in agony as Bird and Cowboys lock Luke O'Donnell, who finished with two tries, exchanged heated words.

In a major relief to the Cowboys, their skipper returned for most of the second half.

Thurston, who is set to pledge his future to the Cowboys on a new three-year deal worth over $2 million, appeared to hurt his back and sternum from the Bird hit but still led his team to a 16-point win.

The Cowboys, who lost prop Carl Webb (calf) before kick-off, showed improvement from their 28-6 trial loss to the Warriors in Cairns a week earlier - building a 10-0 halftime lead in a scrappy affair played in suffocating humidity.

O'Donnell got the ball rolling after a simple one-on-one miss from opposite number Ash Harrison, before winger John Williams beat Ash Graham to slide on a deft grubber for a 10-0 advantage.

Willie Mason ramped up his claims for a first-grade jumper in round one, while Queensland Origin centre Willie Tonga looked dangerous in just his second hitout after off-season shoulder surgery.

With monsoons battering the Northern Territory, the trial was only given the official go-ahead five hours before kick-off, and both teams struggled with the wet ball.

At the 52-minute mark, Titans flyer Kevin Gordon found the tryline but his backline never looked comfortable on the muddy surface

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/

DIEHARD
28-02-10, 10:46 AM
Dominant Cowboys reel in Titans

NORTH Queensland went a long way to winning over Territory league fans with a professional 22-4 win against a lacklustre Gold Coast at Richardson Park last night.

The Cowboys handled the heavy Top End conditions far better than Queensland counterparts the Titans to grind out their first trial victory of the 2010 season much to the delight of coach Neil Henry.

"Overall we're very happy to come away with a win and it's good to get some momentum for Round 1 against the Broncos," Henry said.

"The conditions were heavier than we saw in Cairns, but I thought our defensive commitment was important for getting us over the line."

More than 300 millimetres of rain hit Darwin in the three days leading up to the game and ensured an old fashioned-style wet weather contest.

The Cowboys forward pack laid the foundation for the victory, especially early in the first half and it was little surprise that influential lock Luke O'Donnell was named man-of-the-match.

The NSW and Australian forward opened the scoring when he brushed aside opposite number Ashley Harrison early in the first-half and helped himself to a second try midway through the second.

"Last week I played only 40 minutes, but it was good to have a longer run out there and build up for the Broncos," he said.

"It was never going to be an expansive game especially with the conditions, but we completed our sets and played some smart footy, hopefully the coach will be pretty happy."

In fact Henry was, not only with O'Donnell, but the entire Cowboys forward pack which was hamstrung when enforcer Carl Webb proved a late scratching when he suffered a calf strain in the warm-up.

Boom off-season recruit Willie Mason got 40 minutes, including a solid half an hour burst either side of halftime, impressing Henry.

"Willie ran the ball hard and had some good time out there, but I couldn't single out any of our forwards," he said.

"Young Steve Rapira was good, O'Donnell, (Antonio) Kaufusi, Matty Scott, a few blokes stuck their hands up.

"There's a bit of a dilemma with the forwards for Round 1 because both packs did the job asked of them."

But the game wasn't just about the big men with skipper Johnathan Thurston proving a star attraction.

Thurston was virtually in everything when he was on the park, with his only major worry coming midway through the first-half after being winded by a tackle from Greg Bird.

But Henry said the brilliant halfback was okay.

"JT's all right, he got just a bit winded there and played much of the second half," he said.

That Bird tackle was probably the best thing the Titans five-eighth did all night after a visit to Darwin he would like to forget.

Bird exemplified the Titans' tough night as he fumbled and bumbled his way through the first-half before being benched by coach John Cartwright for the second-half.

Skipper Scott Prince tried hard to create something, while former Kiwi international Clinton Toopi offered brief glimpses of class, but Cartwright has some work ahead to lift the club ahead of their Round 1 clash against the Warriors.

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 22 (Luke O'Donnell 2, Michael Bani, John Williams tries, Williams 2, Thurston goals) d GOLD COAST 4 (Kevin Gordon try) at Richardson Park, Darwin.

karnage
28-02-10, 01:09 PM
Sounds like we will be without Bird for at least the first round.

While I want us full strength for Rd 1, in a way I hope that he is suspended because I am all for the league protecting playmakers like Thurston, Prince, Cronk, Kimmorely etc. These guys run all the attack and people pay money at the gate to see tries. The longer these types of players stay on the park the better.

Set a precedent so that Princey does not have to put up with late hits, cheap shots etc. For all our talk of increased depth, we still rely on Princey more than any other player...

teke
28-02-10, 01:43 PM
Any major injuries come out of this game?

bigjim
28-02-10, 05:27 PM
'A late shot by Bird.'
Here we go. I hope this is not a sample of what we can expect this season.

jonesy09
28-02-10, 05:44 PM
'A late shot by Bird.'
Here we go. I hope this is not a sample of what we can expect this season.

haha you guys dont need much of an invite to sink the slipper in do you? no one ever been put on report in this game of rugby league before? maybe lawn bowls is more your game.

kwigibo
28-02-10, 05:50 PM
He does Like hitting Thurston late, doesn't he. Carty'll have to keep him away from the kicker or there'll be more of the same I reckon.

Supergoose
28-02-10, 08:05 PM
Watching the hit briefly on the news it doesn't look like bird will have a case to answer to me. We may struggle in wet games this season, especially if we're light on for props which we were last night. Let's hope we can keep the big fellas on the park.

karnage
28-02-10, 09:19 PM
Just want to retract my previous comments.

There was footage of the hit on ABC news tonight (which you might be able to see also if you head over to their website) and there was NOTHING in it. He should be fine.

TITAN PETE
28-02-10, 09:29 PM
If Bird smashed JT & hurt the guy Legally then i hope he does it every week to every teams main play maker ..:fight: .. it may be the missing link we were looking for last season :fist:

Love them or hate them wouldn't we like to have had a MoiMoi, Croker or Watmough last season ?

I'd say yes :D

quinn loves titans
28-02-10, 10:42 PM
MoiMoi, Watmough yes croker no

DIEHARD
01-03-10, 03:32 AM
We may struggle in wet games this season, especially if we're light on for props which we were last night. Let's hope we can keep the big fellas on the park.

Yea I was thinking the same Supergoose. Hopefully this isn't the case as we are bound to run into a fair bit of wet weather.

DIEHARD
01-03-10, 03:43 AM
Gordon scored the Gold Coast's only trial in a sloppy 22-4 final trial loss to North Queensland in the Top End, the club's final dustoff before a round 1 showdown with the Warriors at Skilled Park on Sunday week.

After a forgettable night for star recruit Greg Bird in which he suffered a hip knock and coughed up several handling errors, halves partner and Titans skipper Scott Prince warned the club's new scrumbase partnership would be a "work in progress".

While Bird has shown plenty of promise in his previous hitouts for the Indigenous All-Stars and against the Rabbitohs in Coffs Harbour, Prince also warned fans not to expect too much too soon from the ex-Test star.

Prince's passing radar was also off as the club's new halves found the going tough behind an undermanned forward pack.

"It's a work in progress, it's going to take some time and it always will," Prince said. "He's been out of the game for a while in terms of the speed of the NRL. Five-eighth, the way we play in terms of our structure, it takes time but he'll be right.

"It's hard when you're trying to do plays and you can't handle the footy. We worked hard for a penalty, we dropped the ball on the second tackle. It's just hard to get cohesion when you're doing that. It's frustrating but that's footy."

Cartwright admitted there was little his troops could take from the weekend's affair on a boggy Richardson Park field in a game threatened by the monsoonal squals battering the Northern Territory.

"All you can really take out of that is that they got some miles in their legs," he said. "They all tried too hard.

"They were trying to score points off the back of no platform and that was that, they're all out trying to impress. While the negative was the execution wasn't there, the positive was they were keen. They kept turning up, they kept trying, we just didn't adapt to the conditions."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26785775-5003409,00.html

DIEHARD
01-03-10, 03:45 AM
CLICK HERE TO VIEW PICTURES FROM THE COURIER MAIL PHOTO GALLERY (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/gallery/0,23816,5065743-17385-1,00.html)

Supergoose
01-03-10, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure that I like the all white look for the away jersey. Here's hoping that we use some light blue shorts or something to break up the white and distinguish us from being a bland away team.

isaiah
05-03-10, 02:44 AM

that woyld be 4-5 seasons away.
try these 3 steps to success-
1. recruit at least a third of the best dozen qld juniors to boost your nyc team.
2. as they prove themselves, give them a tun in the nrl. i think in your first year, an englishman was the only player to make an nrl debut!
and 3. try to play as well in the finals as you have during the regular season,

Coaster
05-03-10, 08:34 AM
Or we could follow the Broncos steps to success.

1. Set up in a city where the only alternative to watching Football is sitting in a park near a disgusting dirty river.
2. Pretend you are the Queensland team, Colours, Players, even the same ground.
3. If there is something you do not like, break away and try and start your own competition.
4. Destroy an entire state league
5. Systematically suck all your feeder clubs dry, leaving them broke and closed.
6. Make a deal with your suger daddy to be the only team in South East Queensland for 10 years
7. Target supporters that know SFA about the above, and will blindly accept any story given to them from the Courier Mail.
8. Monopolize the Juniors in the area, and rape it for everything.

TITAN PETE
05-03-10, 09:12 AM
My favorite thing on this Forum is "The Coaster Reply" :thumbsup:

I Love to Hate the Bronco's :laugh:

DIEHARD
05-03-10, 12:32 PM
LOL Coaster!!

isaiah
07-03-10, 09:50 AM
Er I think we all realised that they had something like 2million dollars worth of talent on the side line for that match.

just you educated supporters, maybe
my wife on our walk out of the stadium after that game got a fair old spray!

isaiah
07-03-10, 10:32 AM
Or we could follow the Broncos steps to success.

1. Set up in a city where the only alternative to watching Football is sitting in a park near a disgusting dirty river.
2. Pretend you are the Queensland team, Colours, Players, even the same ground.
3. If there is something you do not like, break away and try and start your own competition.
4. Destroy an entire state league
5. Systematically suck all your feeder clubs dry, leaving them broke and closed.
6. Make a deal with your suger daddy to be the only team in South East Queensland for 10 years
7. Target supporters that know SFA about the above, and will blindly accept any story given to them from the Courier Mail.
8. Monopolize the Juniors in the area, and rape it for everything.

woohoo, that was fun!
about 30% true and the rest your own insecurities.
you know what they say, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Coaster
07-03-10, 11:12 AM
For even more fun, try and point out the 70% you claim is not true

isaiah
12-03-10, 11:59 PM

so the third team beat the second team tonight, sunday your top side loses to the warriors?

TITAN PETE
13-03-10, 09:53 AM
so the third team beat the second team tonight, sunday your top side loses to the warriors?

I wouldn't get too excited about winning round 1 by the end of the season the Bonco's will be the
3rd best Qld side ;)

I think u shouldn't be smoking whatever it is your on :ugh:

Titans by 14 :)

Coaster
13-03-10, 10:55 AM
Corey Norman played excellent, where do you guys find these kids?

Oh i see, Gold Coast
refer to point 8

Blazertaser
13-03-10, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't get too excited about winning round 1 by the end of the season the Bonco's will be the
3rd best Qld side ;)

I think u shouldn't be smoking whatever it is your on :ugh:

Titans by 14 :)

Broncos will still undoubtedly be the best team in qld by the end of the season overall, whether that is this season personally than i beleive cowboys will be strong till about round 16 than lose it IMO. Broncos and titans will both make the 8, but this year is the year for the TITANS!!!!:salute:

Blazer:thumbsup:

isaiah
14-03-10, 08:38 AM
Corey Norman played excellent, where do you guys find these kids?

Oh i see, Gold Coast

not so much where, but the opportunity to play NRL.
IF you had signed him, he wouldn't be playing NRL this season. not with presto and zillman at your club. you just seem to accumulate all these barely nrl standard players that are never going to play rep footy, just good club players. you have so many of them in feeder clubs, your juniors hardly get a go.