PDA

View Full Version : Mead could make fullback No.1 priority

DIEHARD
02-12-09, 10:31 AM
Mead could make fullback No.1 priority

TITANS flyer David Mead appears set to challenge for the fullback role following a sensational campaign in the No.1 jumper for Papua New Guinea at the recent Pacific Nations Cup.

The Gold Coast backline is shaping as the biggest selection headache for coach John Cartwright heading into the 2010 season, with an abundance of young talent vying for positions out wide.

After scoring six tries from 13 NRL games from the wing last season, Mead turned heads in the custodian role for PNG in October, putting him in the frame for a move to fullback for the Titans.

"He likes to play fullback and he was tremendous there for PNG," said Gold Coast coach John Cartwright.

"It probably comes down to what is best for our side.

"I think you have got to get your best players on the field and if that means he has got to play on the wing then so be it.

"But it might mean we need to shift a few guys around to get him in at fullback, I don't know.

"It is just handy to know that in a crisis, he can cover fullback pretty well."

The 21-year-old scored two tries to help PNG win through to the Pacific Cup final with a 44-14 victory over Tonga, before a stunning hat-trick saw him pick up man-of-the-match honours as the Kumuls disposed of the Cook Islands 42-14 in the decider.

"My main goal is just to get a spot in the team, but if I was to get a chance at fullback I would be more than happy to play there," said Mead.

"But there are some really good players there already in Zilly (William Zillman) and Presto (Preston Campbell), so it would be pretty hard to get the spot.

"Long term I would like to play fullback or in the centres, but at the moment I am just happy playing anywhere."

Incumbent Zillman has admitted he struggled to hit his straps in 2009, as he made his way back from a knee reconstruction.

But Cartwright is likely to give the former Raiders speedster the chance to retain the role.

"You try to reward the guys that did the job for you last season, as long as they tick all the right boxes in the pre-season," he said.

Cartwright admitted he was unsure where he would play star duo Mat Rogers and Preston Campbell in 2010.

Campbell finished the season at five-eighth, while Rogers spent time at left centre and fullback.

If the club is successful in signing controversial former Cronulla Shark Greg Bird, Campbell would most likely move to fullback, with Rogers to the centres and Zillman to the bench.

Titans skipper and halfback Scott Prince would not be drawn on who he preferred to have as his halves partner next year.

"At the end of the day I have to worry about myself and the way I play and what is best for the team," he said.

"As long as each player is doing their job and doing it well, we can only benefit from that."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

patskE
02-12-09, 09:32 PM
man, i hate to be carty
hehe
ill prob play zilly there for a few games, if he dnt make it his own, give mead a go

DIEHARD
03-12-09, 10:55 AM
I'm over the moon to have such problems. I think Mead might be a long term fullback but for now they will go with Zillman. But David has certainly shown what he is made of at #1,

I wonder if we can give him a run at fullback during the trial matches? He could be the next Bowen, Wesser or Slater if we give him more ball.

TITAN PETE
03-12-09, 12:56 PM
I'm over the moon to have such problems. I think Mead might be a long term fullback but for now they will go with Zillman. But David has certainly shown what he is made of at #1,

I wonder if we can give him a run at fullback during the trial matches? He could be the next Bowen, Wesser or Slater if we give him more ball.

We may have Presto back at 1 to make room for Bird but if will be a great Problem for Carty over the coming season & i think Mead will make a Sensational Fullback :fist:

Tamwelg
03-12-09, 01:43 PM
We may have Presto back at 1 to make room for Bird but if will be a great Problem for Carty over the coming season & i think Mead will make a Sensational Fullback :fist:

I reckon you'll see Presto come of the bench into the 5/8 position in the last 15mins of each half with Bird moving to lock and Harro getting a rest. Having Preso on the bench would then be like an extra forward and using him as an impact when the opposition get tired work work a treat IMO.