PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Carney Titans bound

amaline
24-11-09, 07:57 AM
HE enjoyed a stellar season with the Port Macquarie Sharks, now gifted playmaker Shaun Carney is hoping to make his mark with the Gold Coast Titans.
The teenager, who amassed 192 points in Group 2 this year, joined his new team mates during the week as the NRL club began preparations for the 2010 National Youth Competition (NYC).

The Titans NYC outfit has seen the emergence of Kevin Gordon, David Mead, Will Matthews, Kayne Lawton, Esi Tonga and Jordan Rankin in recent times ? and Carney would like to follow in their footsteps.

?I was ?over the moon? to be selected in the squad, especially coming from the country region,? Carney said.

?They only picked six guys out of 42.

?Obviously it?s a stepping stone and what I learn over the coming weeks, and next year, can benefit me in the long run.?

To say Carney had a superb 12 months with the Sharks is an understatement.

Plucked from the club?s under 18s by coach Tony Pascoe, the youngster provided plenty of attacking spark, finishing with 26 tries ? including seven in one fixture ? and sharing the players? player award with skipper Michael Bright and prop Matt Blake.

?Honestly, I wasn?t expecting to play first grade all season,? he admitted.

?However, I learnt so much from the older guys in the side.?

Carney joined his fellow Titans on Monday for their first official training session, which lasted two hours.

?We?re doing weights (one hour) and ball work (one hour) every day, except Thursdays and Sundays,? he explained.

?Most of the boys up here are used to it ? 16 of them were in last year?s squad.

?And, although it?s my first week with the Titans, I love it.

?The guys are great and happy to help out.

?I?ve been training with Jordan (Rankin), who made his NRL debut in 2008.

?We have a break from December 19, so I?ll come back to Port Macquarie then.

?In the meantime, I?m happy to be a part of it up here.?

The Sharks will also lose the services of speedster Scott Gallagher (Cronulla) and centre Addam Greenaway (Norths Brisbane) when the Group 2 competition kicks off.

http://www.portnews.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/shaun-carney-titans-bound/1663060.aspx

DIEHARD
24-11-09, 08:31 AM
Great find amaline! That was a fantastic read.

It was interesting to hear Shaun's thoughts on first joining Titans NYC training.