PDA

View Full Version : Titans sign journeymen Riley Brown and Marshall Chalk

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 05:39 AM
Titans sign journeymen Riley Brown and Marshall Chalk

THE Titans have moved to bolster their NRL playing ranks by adding two NRL journeyman to the 2010 campaign.
Roosters rake Riley Brown has joined former Canberra and Celtic Crusaders utility Marshall Chalk in finalising deals with the Gold Coast.

Brown has 67 NRL games under his belt from stints at the Newcastle Knights (2004-07) and the Roosters (2008-09).

The 25-year-old hooker attracted the ire of Rabbitohs fans in round 1, 2008, after an ill-fated tackle attempt busted then-South Sydney star Craig Wing.

Brown was restricted to just six first-grade games at the wooden spooners this year after breaking his arm in the Chooks' semi-final loss to the Broncos in 2008.

Brown has endured far greater adversity off the field. His father, Ross, is serving a 17-year jail sentence for the murder of his mother, Judith, in 2000 - a crime Riley believes his father is innocent of.

Chalk will join the Titans' fulltime pre-season squad next month on a second-tier contract.

The versatile 28-year-old will reunite with Ipswich Jets if he fails to secure a berth in the Titans' top-25 squad this summer. Chalk played 71 NRL games for the Raiders from 2004-08 before joining the Welsh-based Crusaders last year.

A broken jaw made it an unhappy UK Super League season for the Boonah product, who has returned home and been signed by the Titans as a handy outside back cover.

The Titans remain confident of snaring ex-Test star Greg Bird, subject to the outcome of criminal charges he is facing in NSW next month.

Gold Coast CEO Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright will meet Bird in France over the next fortnight.

The signature of the troubled ex-Shark would polarise fans but Bird shapes as an ideal fit to a Titans roster in desperate need of an intimidating on-field presence. Bird, who has played both five-eighth and lock at rep level, is earmarked to play pivot at Skilled Park. It is a positional move that would bump veteran Mat Rogers to the centres.

Livewire Preston Campbell would then return to fullback or the interchange bench if ex-Raider Will Zillman nails down the No. 1 jumper.

Four Coast players are recovering from major surgery ahead of the 2010 pre-season.

Utility Josh Graham has had serious surgery to shave bone off both his hips in addition to a foot operation.

Prop Aaron Cannings (shoulder) and boom centre Esi Tonga (shoulder) are also on modified programs while Clubman of the Year Luke O'Dwyer continues to mend from a knee reconstruction.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

amaline
21-10-09, 07:55 AM
I thought Searle said we had around $100,000 to play with. We getting Chalk and Brown and maybe Bird for under $100,000??

Boofhead
21-10-09, 02:42 PM
Bird must be out of the picture now.

patskE
21-10-09, 05:16 PM
says in article he is still sure he will get birds signing.
wat possie did chalk play, i 4get? why did we need brown? when we got friend, lawton, campbell i spose who can play dummy?

Capital_Shark
21-10-09, 05:25 PM
Riley Brown.. meh. If he didn't break Craig Wing hardly anyone would know of the bloke. He never did anything on a football field that made me take notice, good or bad, so it'll be interesting to see what the Titans can do with him. I'd dare say he'll need good support from his Club as the family situation sounds worse than messed up.

Marshall Chalk I always thought should of done a lot better than he ever did. He had size and speed and knew how to use it but could never nail down a spot in the Raiders back line, or even back row which I think he played a few times for them. I didn't realise he was 28 now, and its a shame no NRL Club picked him up from the Raiders because he would of benefited a lot more from spending his mid-20s in Aussie League. If he's still got it though he'll be a decent depth signing, and if he can push for a first grade spot or be afforded one off the back of an injury I don't think he'll disappoint out wide. Ideally though he'd sit on the bench ready to cover a loss in the back row or out wide.

These two blokes aside though if any of you lot closer to the Club get an early inside tip on Bird let me know because I'll jump on the handsome odds offered for a Titans maiden premiership before the bookies know what hit 'em.