PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Utd: Why No Fans?

bensomerford
20-10-09, 05:53 PM
Gday, I'm curious to hear from people from the Gold Coast region about the new a-league club Gold Coast United. united arent getting good crowds and i was wondering if i could hear anything from people from the region on why? ie. i'd love to hear anyone's personal reasons for not going.

DIEHARD
20-10-09, 06:02 PM
"The difference between us and them (Titans) is that we will win the premiership and they probably never will,'' he chided.

I have a very long memory.

bensomerford
20-10-09, 06:36 PM
haha, fair call DIEHARD

Im curious about Titans fans, cos some of the talk from GCU fans is that Skilled Park is too hard to get to by public transport(only trains via hinterland or u need to catch 2-3 buses) and there's no parking available. How do TItans fans get to games?

Dragons
20-10-09, 07:20 PM
haha, fair call DIEHARD

Im curious about Titans fans, cos some of the talk from GCU fans is that Skilled Park is too hard to get to by public transport(only trains via hinterland or u need to catch 2-3 buses) and there's no parking available. How do TItans fans get to games?

No matter how they have tried over the years. This type of football has never taken off with Aussies. I've coached it and watched it but it just dosen't have the impact as league, rugby and gAyFL.
Even though they have had strong juniors they seem to leave or change to other sports.

titanstattman
20-10-09, 11:00 PM
I have a very long memory.

Yes yes i so remember that..............

I think that comment hurt alot of gold coast fans...

And about the transport come on if 17k plus fans can do it 12 times a year why cant 4k plus fans..

As far as i see it GCU wats to get numbers well heres a thought.

1. Get the team out in the public eye only time we hear abot the team is 2days b4 a home game.. They do nothing in the commutiy to get fans...

2. Stop wingeing about every little thing... If its not the cost it transport nd if its not that its sumthing bad about the Titans (u will never get fans by writing the titans off)..

3. Just remember if the titans didnt come along there would never be a GCU team right now.. So stop pissing on the fans nd the team that help u get a foot in the door.......

P.S. This is too all GCU fans.....

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 04:55 AM
I don't think transport is the issue. It doesn't effect rugby league fans and I think most people find the transport pretty good. The main gripe would be the massive congestion at the train station after the game, this disapates very fast, so it is short term pain. But with soccer, this wouldn't happen.

dee13
21-10-09, 05:52 PM
I spoke to someone the other day whos children play and they said it was far too expensive.

My personal opinion is that the Gold Coast does not have a high concentration of ethnic communities like other states, eg, Sydney and Melbourne do. If you go to a game in Sydney or Melbourne the stands are full of European and Middle Eastern fans. These fans come from countries who are raised on Soccer, pretty much like Aussies and Kiwis are raised on the Rugby codes and AFL. The Gold Coast comprise of mainly Australians, Kiwis and Japanese.

Clive Palmer thought he could walk straight up and do what the Titans are doing (succeeding). The Titans put in alot of leg work in the preceeding seasons to build a fan base and keep people interested by holding pre season games and NRL premiership games back in 2005 and 2006. They are out in the community and they are making a difference. People appreciate that and will pay back in loyalty.

Clive Palmer, It will take alot more than a big back account to get a loyal fan base. You can't just walk in with a bottomless cheque book and think because you have the money, You will be successful. Ohh yeah... Then there is that blatant waste of money buying that boat for your daughter. My immediate thought was "What a tosser". That money could have been greatly used in the community and given the club a great set up for a charity fund raising organisation.

At the end of the day $$$$$$ does not nessesarily buy you success.

Capital_Shark
21-10-09, 05:59 PM
Soccer only works if there is nothing better to do, obviously making the Gold Coast a shocker of a place to host soccer given the wide range of better stuff to do. Even outside the party capital of Australia though, unless grass stops growing and they invent instant dry paint, soccer will always struggle.

I didn't know anything about the soccer mob trying to make a name for themselves by ragging on the Titans but I'd suggest that isn't the smartest move. Just because soccer is the World game doesn't mean its entitled to any preferential treatment in this Country. How far do you think the Storm would get if they went around taking the piss out of Geelong and the AFL? League owns the Gold Coast and if soccer wants a sniff they need to know their place and accept it. They could do much worse than to ride the coat tails of the Titans.

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 06:10 PM
That's it Cap, it never pays to kick up dirt on people and sports. I never want rugby league to take that tactic, especially in Melbourne. Unite and conquer, that is my moto. :thumbsup:

I think there is a clear contrast between GCU and the Titans. The GCU aspire to be some sort of glamourpuss club, while to me the Titans are humble, but very successful. The local, honest kid, who done good. It's very appealing to think about how far the Gold Coast Titans organisation has come and the massive challenges it overcame.

I don't know much about soccer TBH. And don't mean to piss off their fans, I admire what they are doing.

Capital_Shark
21-10-09, 06:12 PM
I don't know much about soccer TBH.

And care even less :laugh:

DIEHARD
21-10-09, 06:17 PM
And care even less :laugh:

LOL.... busted. I was trying to be diplomatic and stuff.

titanstattman
21-10-09, 10:44 PM
At the end of the day soccer is its on sport... compared to NRL or GFL

DIEHARD
22-10-09, 12:54 PM
I guess we have to see how they go when the A-Leagues finals rolls around.

daveyk
22-10-09, 09:19 PM
well i did buy a season membership for GCU.. but after constantly listening to their fans rip on the titans non-stop... have sold the remainder of my pass..

dont jsut blame the fans but also the club for liek doug said... they do nothing in the community and u do only hear about stuff 2 days out.

they also keep goin ona bout getting a megaphone in there... as most of us know that is against stadium rules and it was conveyed to us early in 2008.. however they think an online petition will change things..

so in closing...

BLOW IT OUT YOUR EAR GCU

TITAN PETE
23-10-09, 11:04 AM
well i did buy a season membership for GCU.. but after constantly listening to their fans rip on the titans non-stop... have sold the remainder of my pass..

so in closing...

BLOW IT OUT YOUR EAR GCU

Welcome back Davey , i thought it would take surgery but u have come to your senses on your own :clap:

Maybe GCU should play out of somewhere like Runaway Bay their ground capacity would be a lot closer to the numbers they are drawing at Skilled ;)

kwigibo
23-10-09, 01:03 PM
I watch all their games and have great fun when I go, but haven't been to the last couple because I can't afford it, and the couple before that I got some free tickets.

I'm a big fan of all gold coast sports teams, I often have as much fun at a United game as I do at a Titans game. It has nothing to do with PR or promos for me, only dollars and cents. Living on the gold coast doesn't make me twice as rich as someone in Townsville or Sydney, just because there are some wealthy people here doesn't mean we're all made of money and will pay whatever we're told. $30 with concession is too much for a Titans game let alone for the far less established a-league.

The best promo they could do is to make the prices competetive. I don't know for sure that the crowds would grow much, they certainly wouldn't get smaller. They can't be profiting from ticket sales as it is, what could it hurt to halve the prices to make them commensurate with the rest of the league?

I could not care less what PR they do or spruking in the community, I know when the games are, so I go, but I won't buy a ticket at those prices ever again, because how could I expect them to change if I don't.

And you don't have to be at the games to be a fan.

DIEHARD
23-10-09, 01:38 PM

That is deadset disappointing. Sorry to hear that man.

I also agree with Kwigi, there is limited dime out there. It was a struggle and a surprise to have to buy All-Star tickets. Well worth it, but just when my budget ws recovering.

Next yeAr will be worse for me because the 4Nations is in Aus/NZ.

Paul
24-10-09, 07:42 PM
I'm a supporter of both sides here....Both The Titans and GCU...

There are some good points in this thread along with some absolute mindless ****

I maintain what I've always said. Both the titans and GCU could benefit from one another and should have worked together from the start as a team. The Titans have the crowds and community support through good hard work and research. You have to work hard in the community to get people to part with their hard earned coin and the Titans have this down pat
GCU on the other hand have the active support and organisation as a support group which could a) make the titans support not seem like a library and b) be organised as a group. The titans support is great in numbers but **** in atmosphere

Both codes could be beneficial to each other and squeeze out that useless wanker sport gayFL....but NEITHER side can seem to understand this

disappointing on both sides of the coin tbh

DIEHARD
25-10-09, 06:26 AM
Yea the atmosphere at the Final between the Gold Coast and Brisbane was just like a library. :ugh:

The Titans have to develop their own style of atmosphere and that takes time. I've seen vast improvement in that department in the last half of 2009. It's just going to continue to get better.

kwigibo
25-10-09, 10:26 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I missed today's game. 0-6

TITAN PETE
26-10-09, 03:04 PM
Yea the atmosphere at the Final between the Gold Coast and Brisbane was just like a library. :ugh:

Very good Brad :laugh: :laugh:

dee13
28-10-09, 06:36 PM
own [/I]style of atmosphere and that takes time. I've seen vast improvement in that department in the last half of 2009. It's just going to continue to get better.

It will always be hard for us to develop our own atmosphere.

And this is why.... The Gold Coast is a very transient population. A majority of its growing population are not from here. They are families and individuals looking for a better life from other states, They are elderly retirees, They are overseas students and visitors. Of the people who have moved here from interstate, they already follow a team. This is why alot of away teams get such a great supporter base on the Coast. Have a look at the crowds at Skilled, its 50/50 home team and away team support. Whilst we are cheering the opposition fans aren't and visa versa.

If you go to Melbourne, Suncorp, Dairy Farmers, Brooky or Kogarah the fan base is 90/10 in the home team favour. They have had decades of support and fan base building.

I think that you guys are doing a fantastic job in creating atmosphere.

titanstattman
28-10-09, 10:15 PM
GOLD Coast united owner Clive Palmer is expected to face Football Federation Australia over reports the club is planning to cap ticket sales for home games to save money.

Football website au.fourfourtwo.com reports that Gold Coast United have confirmed they will cap crowds at 5000 per game, leaving three-quarters of Skilled Park empty.

They say the move has led FFA to question the verity of Gold Coast's original franchise bid, which did not include the ticket capping scheme.

The cap would eliminate cheaper seats with prices now starting at $42 for an adult, $24.95 for juniors and $116 for the cheapest family ticket, plus the $4.95 booking fee.

Public transport would no longer be included in the ticket price and members would be moved from their original seats, thereby eliminating home end support.

Gold Coast United are under added pressure to perform when they face North Queensland Fury at home this weekend after a 6-0 thumping from bottom side Wellington Phoenix on Sunday.

www.goldcoast.com.au

Well thats a great way to get fans....... Sorry i know ur a memember but the house is full at 5000 nd u cant get in....

shamus
29-10-09, 07:07 AM
Not only is there a 'cap'. As Doug said in another thread if you are a member (me) and I am the 5001st person to show up I ain't getting in! Not that they are going to get anywhere near 5000 now with these prices. It gets worse for the 'commuters'. A lot of GCU fans are ex Roar fans and live in the Brisbane area. Some are not paid up members but just turn up to the game so instead of $29 and free travel it is now $42 and $23 return train fare.

$29 versus $65. Way to go Clive you dipstick! :mad:

Oh....the game will finish close to 10pm and as there are no 'extra' trains you either need to leave before the end of the game to catch the 9:53 or wait an hour and catch the 10:53....Just gets better for the commuters.

TITAN PETE
29-10-09, 08:00 AM
Just get that Shyte off our Park :mad:

DIEHARD
29-10-09, 11:38 AM
Not only is there a 'cap'. As Doug said in another thread if you are a member (me) and I am the 5001st person to show up I ain't getting in! Not that they are going to get anywhere near 5000 now with these prices. It gets worse for the 'commuters'. A lot of GCU fans are ex Roar fans and live in the Brisbane area. Some are not paid up members but just turn up to the game so instead of $29 and free travel it is now $42 and $23 return train fare.

Oh....the game will finish close to 10pm and as there are no 'extra' trains you either need to leave before the end of the game to catch the 9:53 or wait an hour and catch the 10:53....Just gets better for the commuters.

Woah... that is an almighty amount of terrible things to overcome. I can't believe their solution is to cut the heart out of their members/loyal fans and also wipe out the existence of cheap tickets. And do one of the worst things, move members to new seats. How are newbies supposed to give it a try with no cheap tickets. It's a shambles.

If GCU are having this much drama, GCAFL are in BIG trouble. I hope GCU succeed because a failed sport team would damage the brand of the Gold Coast. It also makes me appreciate how lucky we are to have the Titans in such a tremendous position.

GCT_89
29-10-09, 01:32 PM

where does it say that if your a member you cant get in?
they are capping it at 5000 tickets arent they which means they would only sell X amount of tickets (X= 5000 - #of members).....

and those who would travel from brisbane or elsewhere and buy their ticket at the gate, arent actually allowed free transport to the game, free transport is only for those holding a game day ticket/membership card..........(no one ever gets checked anyway)

also, the car park next to the stadium will be open......

for the most part, those who are paid up members are getting better seats for the same price, but in the eyes of a Home bay ticket holder, i doubt that would agree.....lol

but yea, very bad idea for a club in its first year, WAY TO PISS EVERYONE OFF CLIVE!

the problem is, clive has too much control over the club. (owner AND MAJOR sponsor) so if everyone wants clive to go......the club will be forced to fold........

I feel sorry for the players....good guys, with great skills, and a fielded team capable of making it to the top......

titanstattman
29-10-09, 10:17 PM
where does it say that if your a member you cant get in?
they are capping it at 5000 tickets arent they which means they would only sell X amount of tickets (X= 5000 - #of members).....

It was in the paper nd also in a inter view......

As the Q was " even if ur a member?? U would have to get there early just incase its a full house"

Over all they are ****ing they fans over........

shamus
30-10-09, 06:41 AM
and those who would travel from brisbane or elsewhere and buy their ticket at the gate, arent actually allowed free transport to the game, free transport is only for those holding a game day ticket/membership card..........(no one ever gets checked anyway)

Why wouldn't they buy their tiket online?...and you don't get checked coming into Robina but a different story getting off at the other end. :thumbsup:

shamus
30-10-09, 07:45 AM
Oh,and what about season ticket holders that already travel down from Brisbane. They would have been under the assumption that they had free travel all season but that is now out the window as well.....

shamus
30-10-09, 10:53 AM
Just get that Shyte off our Park :mad:

Pete.....where is the love?

TITAN PETE
30-10-09, 11:25 AM
Pete.....where is the love?

Let me know when Man U comes to town & i'll show you ;)

daveyk
30-10-09, 06:07 PM
Let me know when Man U comes to town & i'll show you ;)

i love it... that would be a dream come true

Capital_Shark
01-11-09, 04:31 PM
I spotted the odds on the GCU v Fury match and after reading what a friggen shambles the GCU camp is in at the moment decided the $5.25 about the Fury to win was worth a punt. What makes me even more of a happy camper is I scrolled down to the first goal scorer market and Robbie Fowler at $6.50 caught my eye. Not a bad way to wet your whistle on A-League betting.

titanstattman
02-11-09, 10:29 PM
cap scapped....................

Adelaide Titan
15-11-09, 03:44 PM
i laugh at GC Utd, how the crowds are so crap and Clive Palmer is to blame. and clearly NRL is the no1 sport up there. The AFL team wont survive if GCU cant in the NRL off season. For those GCU fans who do who up credit to you but where is everyone else? Clive Palmer has stuffed the club up after that crowd cap...what a joke, who does that? Good on the fans who broke thru security and protested! Hope to see some of you here this friday at Hindmarsh Stadium :)

Sydney Titans Fanatic
18-11-09, 10:55 PM
get stuffed gcu and give us back skilled park