PDA

View Full Version : Titans sign a young 'special'

DIEHARD
05-12-05, 02:19 PM
Chris Sandow sat with his parents Rhonda and Stevie in the shade alongside the Bond University pool yesterday. Their hometown of Cherbourg seemed a long way away.

But the distance from the Gold Coast to the South Burnett Aboriginal community about three hours by car is the very reason the talented young rugby league player has joined the Titans NRL club.

"He is my only child. We want the best for him, but Sydney is such a long way away," said Rhonda Sandow.

"The Bulldogs were very interested in him. I am just very happy he will still be so close to us."

Sandow, 16, described by Titans football manager Scott Sattler as 'a special player, one of those players we had to get' was on the Gold Coast yesterday for the inaugural gathering of the Titans Elite Academy.

Sattler has contracted 27 youngsters for the academy and they had their first outing under the eyes of Titans coach John Cartwright, at Bond University.

Although there is plenty of talent spread through the academy there was no disguising Sattler's admiration for Sandow.

"I think Chris has the ability to play first grade in 2007 (when the Titans debut)," said Sattler.

"I know that is a big call for a kid who is still in his last year of school, but when you watch him play you know he is a player that has got every attribute, including a great attitude.

"There are a lot of judges I have a lot of faith in and they seem to say he is one of those kids that could jump out of the ground first year out of school and taste the top level pretty early.

"I liken him to (2001 Dally M Player of the Year) Preston Campbell. I played first grade with Preston in his first year out of high school for the Gold Coast Chargers."

Source: Gold Coast Bulletin

DIEHARD
05-12-05, 02:21 PM
Chris Sandow sounds like a great addition to the Titans family.

I don't know much about him but I rate Scott's opinion of him, is he a winger or fullback or a half?

It brings me great pleasure to see these young Queenslanders stay in Queensland, thanks to the Titans. Now our young players don't need to move to Sydney to have a go.

Teegy
05-12-05, 02:29 PM
I never heard of him either but if Satts likes him then i think he will be a good addition to the titans club

Research Station Drive
05-12-05, 02:56 PM
It's good to see the focus on developing players here.

I wish there was a bit more information about this player though!

titans_fanatic
05-12-05, 04:02 PM
cant say ive heard of him but this is a good sign for the titans as a club

titans_fanatic
05-12-05, 04:02 PM
that we are developing or planning on developing these young players

Titanium_BD1103
05-12-05, 04:13 PM
You signed Chris Sandow.. well done.. we all thought he was headed to the Doggies... :D :D

He is a very talented player.. don't know too much about him, just that those close to the Bulldogs have said that he was an up and coming superstar... I will see if I can find some info from the Bulldogs faithful fans who were looking at him.. :)

Congrats though on an awesome signing and things just keep getting better for the Titans.. :)

Titanium_BD1103
05-12-05, 04:31 PM
Some information about Chris Sandow to state just how good a player the Titans have signed.. :)

From queensland.rleague.com

2005 Qld Secondary Schools Rugby League Championships ? 18 Years and Under

The Secondary Schools Rugby League Under 18 Championships were held on the 12th to the 15th of May at Kirby Park, Aspley.

Metropolitan East were declared the champions of the carvinal after defeating Northern 24-16 in the Grand Final.

Chris Sandow (Metro East) was the player of the carnival.

Here is the actual article from:
http://qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=1055

THE Gold Coast Titans' presence in South East Queensland has become more evident, with Marsden State High student Chris Sandow selected in the club?s first elite development squad.

While the Titans have focused thus far on talent from the south coast of Queensland and the northern rivers of New South Wales, interest in Sandow explores the corridor to Brisbane.

Player of the Carnival at the 2005 Queensland Open Schoolboys Championship, Sandow also played with premiers Wests Centenary in the Under 16A club competition.

He is a former Queensland Academy of Sport representative and also figured at this year?s Australian Schoolboy titles at Wagga Wagga.

The former Cherbourg Hornets junior can play numerous positions and is an accomplished goal-kicker.

Other Queensland-based players selected in the Titans elite development squad are Luke Krauss, Travis Drought, Ryan Simpkins, Kevin Pease and Brodie Williams.

Simpkins is from the Tugun club, while Krauss and Drought play for Currumbin-Tugun.

Pease is of the Burleigh club, having led the Bears to the ARL Foundation Shield in 2004. Meanwhile, Williams is playing across the border with Tweed Seagulls, but is a former QRL Southern Division representative.

The elite development squad will be overseen by Scott Sattler, a four-season veteran with former NRL entity the Gold Coast Chargers.

So it looks like GC has a future superstar and another goalkicking genius to add to their ranks.. no wonder the Bulldogs were after him.. well done to the Titans on a great addtion to the junior squad.. :D :D

DIEHARD
05-12-05, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that info Bulldog_Titan311 much appreciated!

I'm very proud we got him in blue, gold and white.

The Original Idiot
05-12-05, 05:09 PM
It brings me great pleasure to see these young Queenslanders stay in Queensland, thanks to the Titans. Now our young players don't need to move to Sydney to have a go.
True. Anybody coming from Qld to Sydney to play league has pressure on them, more so young players. I feel that 75% of Sydney players would play better if their club was based somewhere else. Chris Walker wasn't that bad for the Broncs but imploded once he arrrived in Sydney.

DIEHARD
05-12-05, 06:37 PM
It is also tough on young blokes being away from friends and family as well.

Luke
05-12-05, 08:45 PM
im going to be intersted to see this guy play

DeeGan
05-12-05, 11:35 PM
I will try and source more info on the Titans Elite Academy players if I can.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
06-12-05, 12:17 AM
I will try and source more info on the Titans Elite Academy players if I can.

DeeGan

That'd be fantastic. I'm sure all rugby league fans would appreciate that, not only the Gold Coast fans.