PDA

View Full Version : Preston inspired by Titans crowd

DIEHARD
14-09-09, 04:02 PM
Preston inspired by Titans crowd

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/09/14/PRESTON-campbell-roar.jpg
Gold Coast Titan's powerhouse Preston Campbell was overcome by the roar of the Titans' crowd on Saturday.

Aside from his remarkable ability and speed, Campbell's number one attribute is fear -- or, more to the point, the lack thereof.

Week in, week out Campbell runs at man-mountains and comes away with the goods.

Campbell yesterday revealed he was fear-struck for one of the few times in his career during the game on Saturday night.

It affected him in a way he would not forget.

The man with a lifelong contract to the Titans hasn't lost his nerve. Far from it.

Instead, it was hearing a town -- which for two years had been the 'polite crowd' -- find its voice.

Skilled Park had become a cauldron and Campbell was in awe.

Campbell was at his dynamic best on Saturday, but inside he was a little unsure.

"I got scared a couple of times, you know, because it was that loud I thought someone was actually behind me screaming in my ear," he said.

"It's never been that loud, it was just ear piercing." All season the Titans had asked the Gold Coast to find a voice. Finally they did.

Campbell, who has won a grand final at Sydney's Olympic stadium, said nothing beat Skilled Park.

"I think because it is so cluttered in," he said.

"I've played semi-finals at Shark Park and at Penrith, and you've got both ends that are not really closed in."

"I think Suncorp (Stadium) was not as loud as it was here."

It was a sign the Gold Coast had finally embraced its team.

The noise put the loudest of rock concerts to shame.

Coach John Cartwright agreed: "I went down on the sidelines with about 10 minutes to go.

"It was State of Origin-like, it gives you a lump in your throat to hear that roar and it went for the whole last 10 minutes," he said.

"What made it even more noticeable was when they took that intercept and scored, it just went dead quiet and left everyone with an empty feeling."

An empty feeling because the Gold Coast, and not Brisbane, is well and truly our number one team.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

eelectrica
14-09-09, 05:33 PM
To be part of that was something special and something I wouldn't have missed for the world.

Rage
14-09-09, 06:46 PM
It was great to see that sea of blue gold and white among the crowd. Titans fans are the best :p Anyone have the attendance figures for this finals week?

daveyk
14-09-09, 07:01 PM
It was great to see that sea of blue gold and white among the crowd. Titans fans are the best :p Anyone have the attendance figures for this finals week?

Skilled park - 27,226
new record

Steve
14-09-09, 07:07 PM
I was at that semi final at Penrith. Amazing atmosphere, my sister who's a union fan said it beat Bledisloe.

And I gotta say, the volume on Saturday night blew me away. To be honest, I normally don't know what the rest of the stadium is like, because the noise nearby in the Legion tends to drown out everything else. On Saturday night I reckon we were drowned out, I couldn't even hear myself scream.

If we could keep that up for 80 minutes every week, it'd be amazing.

DINGb@T
14-09-09, 07:16 PM
Yeah, it was almost primeval when Mead crossed to put us within site of a win.

If we could keep that up for 80 minutes every week, it'd be amazing.

If we kept that up every week we'd all end up talking like Darren Lockyer :D

daveyk
14-09-09, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it was almost primeval when Mead crossed to put us within site of a win.

If we kept that up every week we'd all end up talking like Darren Lockyer :D

that would not bother me in the slightest

TITAN PETE
14-09-09, 07:58 PM
I've been to over 20 Origin matches & the atmosphere on Saturday night was as good if not better than of them & that is due to the size of Skilled which is Perfect for Rugby League :fist: