PDA

View Full Version : Fans back Titans dream

DIEHARD
11-09-09, 11:09 AM
Fans back Titans dream

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/09/11/titans-legion.jpg

THE Titans engine room is ready.

No, not Bailey, Laffranchi, Minichiello or Harrison. We are talking about members of the Titans Legion, the burgeoning, passionate core of fans based at the northern end of Skilled Park for every home game.

"We are the engineroom that drives the support for the Titans at our home games", says Legion creator, Brad Newman.

"We are the people who start the chants, who maintain the passion, who bring the Titans colour to every game."

"When you think of a footy game and why you should be sitting in the stands and not at home, well it is all about atmosphere and the people who bring that atmosphere are the fans."

Like the majority of Gold Coast Titans supporters, Newman started out supporting someone else.

Living in Brisbane, I supported the Broncos, said the 27-year-old.

But the Super League war left me disenchanted. When it was over I looked further afi eld and my Mum started to bring me down to Chargers games.

Even then there was something different about the Gold Coast team.

When the Chargers died in 1998, Newman wandered around in rugby league no-mans land until the Titans push came along.

He started moderating their online forums in 2005 and then started the Legion.

"I havent missed a home game and have been to plenty of away games as well", he said.

"The Titans fan base has grown and is now right across the nation."

"Members of our own Southern Legion are at every game in NSW, Melbourne and Canberra."

"All rugby league fans are like the siblings of one family. We have a common love of rugby league but are all individuals."

"However I think Titans fans are more optimistic than other supporters."

"Many people thought there was no chance a team would come back to the Gold Coast. But we achieved the impossible and that is still the culture of the fans here, nothing is beyond this club."

"I think the mantra of the upper echelon of the club also has fl owed through the supporters in that we are all very pro-rugby league. We look at the positives of what the game has to offer and the potential that is there."

Newman said the over-riding sentiment of fans online was that the Titans team of 2009 was not receiving the respect it deserved.

"But that is not a bad thing because so far we have been able to fly under the radar", he said.

Fans are also happy with the depth that Carty has this year.

Newman also said Titans fans could take a deserved bow for the teams home record in 2009 - 11 wins from 12 games.

History shows us that a lot of great rugby league teams have been based on a winning home-ground record, he said.

"As fans that is what we try to provide for our team, an atmosphere that not only helps them win but also attracts fans to want to come to the next game."

"Fans are the club. Before a ball is kicked it is up to us to set the scene, show the passio."

"We have a new website - http://www.thelegion.com.au - which has all the latest info about The Legion and Southern Legion."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au