PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I'm getting tuned in to `Prestovision'

DIEHARD
04-09-09, 03:46 PM
Finally, I'm getting tuned in to `Prestovision'

Gold Coast Titans magician Preston Campbell is full of tricks but his captain Scott Prince is working them out

THE PRINCE DIARIES by Titans captain Scott Prince

HEY Presto!

I have finally started to understand how Titans mystery man Preston Campbell works.

The riddle that is Presto no longer seems so complex and with the finals just around the corner the timing of my realisation is perfect.

Whether you're a Titans fans or just a member of the league-loving public, you would know Presto Campbell is a rare breed.

He brings to our great game everything that is good.

He is the X-factor, an excitement machine whose exuberance, explosiveness and tremendous courage keeps fans on the edge of their seats and fills stadiums.

If you think watching Preston from the stands is a buzz, try being just a couple of metres away as he weaves his magic and leaves oversized defenders grasping thin air.

Presto's greatest skill is that he plays exactly what is in front of him.

Because of Presto's pure understanding of the game and his instinctive approach to every situation, the little man sometimes leaves even his teammates unable to read his next brilliant play -- until now.

The beauty of playing alongside someone for a period of time, you start to get a gut feeling for what they are about to do.

With some players that might take three weeks, with Preston it has taken me three years.

The classic example was a couple of weeks ago when I saw Presto scoot off with the ball. Without even thinking I started to move in a certain direction only to see Presto had spun a kick back from a ridiculously difficult angle and managed to place the ball right in front of me.

Try time.

I looked across at Presto almost in disbelief and he simply winked at me with a cheeky smile on his face.

It was for 99.9 per cent of players in the NRL a freakish piece of play however Presto had just played it as he saw it.

They say the great players see things in slow motion however I think there is also `Prestovision' because he just seems to have so much time.

Presto is like Yoda off Star Wars. When you are in his presence on a football field you feel almost honoured. If you are in sync with him there are few other more entertaining moments in football. So much of our game is regimented and disciplined but Presto brings that extra element.

`Just trust your gut' he seems to say. I realise only a few can play his game and fewer can master his perfect temperament. On the rare occasion his special play doesn't come off, there is no kicking stones. He just gives it another shot.

He plays the game how it should be played, for enjoyment, not for sheep stations.

With injuries and suspensions Presto has often been the man outside me this season. Our combination has improved and I have begun to `read' him. I will never know the total Presto script but I'm excited about the opportunities and special moments he will create over the next few weeks.

As we come into the final game of the home and away season, this is how my week has been.

SATURDAY: Very good feeling after we took the points over the Tigers. Carty especially happy. The self belief is getting stronger.

SUNDAY: Recovery at North Burleigh surf club. Noticed Friendy and his mate Graham (see note below) reluctant to get in ice baths.

MONDAY: Skills session early then finals of the cook-off that night at Titanium Bar. Rat and I prepare sumptuous salmon dish only to be beaten by the kids Flash and Meady (shouldn't they have been home in bed). Friendy and Graham did the garlic prawns -- even they couldn't stuff that up.

TUESDAY: Day off. Sleep.

WEDNESDAY: Weight session then off to Sydney for almost a week of engagements. Staying with Jerry (my manager). He has promised me my own bed and a bath robe this time.

THURSDAY: Photo shoot for high-end fashion mag. Footy Show appearance. Thinking of Manly game tomorrow night. Always a tough road trip. But we need to worry about us and what we do.

NB: Graham is the name we have given to Friendy's mauled left ear.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

eelectrica
05-09-09, 11:41 AM
Finally, I'm getting tuned in to `Prestovision'

WEDNESDAY: Weight session then off to Sydney for almost a week of engagements. Staying with Jerry (my manager). He has promised me my own bed and a bath robe this time.

Well that must be a relief :laugh:

Good read though. Having Presto and Princy in sync should release the shackles a bit. We're going to need some magic every now and again throughout the finals to win. Loosen the defenses up a bit.
going to be a real good test tonight to to see where we stand.