PDA

View Full Version : Burleigh Bears back in the Titans fold

DIEHARD
03-09-09, 11:24 AM
It is pleasing to hear that the Burleigh Bears are returning from the dark side (Broncos) and rejoining the mighty Gold Coast Titans as a feeder club for 2010!

GCT_89
03-09-09, 11:43 AM
good, im glad they have come to their senses.....

i hope they now realise that the Titans are now number 1!

DIEHARD
03-09-09, 01:13 PM
Titans and Burleigh create united front
Adam Gardini

http://www.titans.com.au/site/_content/image/00004032-image.jpg
Burleigh juniors (from left) Shaun Hudson (eligbile for Titans under-16s in 2010), Tom Schaeffer (Titans under-18s), Jamie Dowling (under-20s) and Titans NRL centre Jordan Atkins.

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and local rugby league powerhouse Burleigh Bears will re-unite next year in a new partnership agreement for the next four seasons.

In a significant move which will create a united front for rugby league on the Gold Coast, the Jetstar Titans and Bears will again join forces in a feeder club agreement from 2010 until the end of the 2013 season.

Both clubs had a partnership agreement from 2007-08 but went their separate ways for the 2009 season.

Burleigh juniors (from left) Shaun Hudson (eligbile for Titans under-16s in 2010), Tom Schaeffer (Titans under-18s), Jamie Dowling (under-20s) and Titans NRL centre Jordan Atkins. However, the new agreement will ensure that the Gold Coast rugby league landscape is united ? with the Jetstar Titans to have formal feeder-club partnerships with Burleigh, Tweed Heads Seagulls and also the Ipswich Jets for the 2010 season.

Jetstar Titans Managing Director Michael Searle said re-establishing ties with Burleigh was a significant move which would benefit both clubs.

?Above all else, the new agreement with Burleigh ensures that the rugby league community is united on the Gold Coast,?? said Searle.

?As the sporting landscape in the city begins to change, it is important that we are all moving in the same direction.

?It?s a great move for both clubs because it enables the Titans to provide a pathway for Burleigh juniors to realise their dreams in the NRL ? which is the core reason why our club was established in the first place.??

Jetstar Titans Head Coach John Cartwright said the partnership would create another excellent pathway for local juniors.

?The Burleigh Bears have a strong club from their juniors right through to their seniors so this link will further extend that pathway through to NRL level with the Titans,?? he said.

?We want to give local juniors the chance to play at the highest level without having to leave the Gold Coast.

?This agreement will provide another window of opportunity for that to happen.??

Burleigh Bears Chief Executive Officer Adrian Vowles said the new relationship with the Titans was important for rugby league on the Gold Coast and paid tribute to Broncos Managing Director Bruno Cullen for granting the Bears a release from a three-year agreement between the two clubs.

?It?s something that we thought was best for us as a club and for the Titans and rugby league on the Gold Coast,?? said Vowles.

?Credit to Bruno (Cullen), he realised it is important that we link back with the Titans and help rugby league on the Gold Coast against the other codes.

?We?ve got the biggest junior base in Queensland and its important that those kids can still come up through the ranks and play for the Titans and help the Titans strengthen as a club as well.??

To celebrate the new partnership, current and former Burleigh Bears players gathered for the announcement - including Jetstar Titans centre Jordan Atkins, who was spotted by the Titans when playing for Burleigh in the Queensland Cup.

He was joined by Titans NYC (under-20s) player Jamie Dowling and two Titans contracted youngsters who have both played their junior football with the Bears - Tom Schaeffer (under-18s) and Shaun Hudson (under-16s).

Dowling is still very much a part of the Bears family, juggling his football career in the National Youth Competition with work at the Burleigh Bears Leagues Club.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
03-09-09, 01:15 PM
A much needed move for rugby league's sake. And we need a holistic approach to rugby league development on the Coast.

The breaking of the alliance was so counter productive in my eyes.

But welcome back Burleigh and this also means us Titans fans can make the Burleigh v Tweed derby a bit of an event. Go Burleigh!

I didn't like the Broncos poaching Burleigh in the first place, but fair play to them for releasing Burleigh from their contact. For the betterment of the game.

Cowboy Titan
03-09-09, 01:22 PM
Great news. It makes alot more sense for the Bears to link with the Titans rather than Brisbane. I wonder if the decision has much to do with the Bears being less competitive recently.

GCT_07
03-09-09, 05:09 PM
I see this whole think as an attempt that went wrong by the Donkeys to get at the ground level of the Titans and try to keep their domonance in south east Queensland. I think that the deal they offered Burleigh couldnt be sustained and I think that they were let out of their contract with the Donkeys because they wernt getting what they were promised.

BUT.... then again.... I could be totally wrong.:laugh:

Either way it doesnt matter because they are back again on the Gold Coast and I still hate the donkeys.......:laugh:

eelectrica
05-09-09, 11:42 AM
Good news.
It's a union that makes sense for both teams.

daveyk
05-09-09, 11:45 AM
how about we all show our support for it and turn out in numbers on monday 7th from 3pm....

titans will be having an open training session

IT'S FINALS FOOTY TIME

Steve
05-09-09, 11:52 AM
Burleigh are one lucky rugby league club!

I think just about every club the Broncos have been associated with has gone the way of the tassie tiger within a few years.

Good to see them back, makes a lot more sense and should be great for league on the coast.