PDA

View Full Version : Campbell a finalist in Ken Stephen Medal

DIEHARD
02-09-09, 03:22 PM
Campbell a finalist in Ken Stephen Medal
Adam Gardini

Titans star Preston Campbell plays the didgeridoo for students at Pacific Pines Primary School. Reigning Ken Stephen Medal winner Preston Campbell has again been named as a finalist for this year’s NRL community award based on his ongoing dedication to community work.

The 31-year-old has again been listed as a finalist for the prestigious Ken Stephen Medal because of the countless hours he spends in the community making a difference as a role model for both indigenous and non-indigenous children.

Along with a general willingness to help wherever he can, Campbell has also been an ambassador for Lifeline Australia in their Indigenous Suicide Prevention and Awareness Campaign (Make Your Mark), which is aimed at promoting suicide safer communities.

He also recently visited his hometown of Tingha to donate $5000 of his own money towards the opening of a community centre for youth in the town.

For the first time, fans can vote in the Ken Stephen Medal.

Click here to vote for Preston Campbell (http://www.nrl.com/NRLHome/KenStephen/tabid/10907/Default.aspx)

Coinciding with his nomination as a finalist, Campbell today spent time at Pacific Pines Primary School interacting with a group of Year 4 students who are currently learning Indigenous Studies as part of the school’s curriculum.

Despite the Campbell’s superstar status in the game, there was not one question about football as the Tingha-born Campbell talked about his culture and answered queries about other indigenous issues.

“It’s definitely something different to what I’m used to,’’ smiled Campbell after today’s visit.

“You usually come to these schools in all the Titans gear and you expect someone to ask you questions about footy but I didn’t get one of those today.

“The kids are learning about indigenous culture and they asked a lot of really good questions, even questions I had trouble answering.

“It was a really great day today.’’

Campbell also spoke to the group about his tribe’s name and beliefs. However, the highlight of the visit was when he treated the students to a didgeridoo performance.

“My tribe is the Nucoorilma tribe from my mum’s side and the Dungatti tribe from my dad’s side but in tradition you have to take your mum’s side so my tribe is the Nucoorilma tribe in North Western NSW.’’

Campbell said he was ‘very proud’ to again be nominated for the Ken Stephen Medal.

“I’m very proud of that,’’ he said.

“With these sort of things, with getting recognition, you know you’re doing the right thing and that’s all I’m happy with.’’

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Adelaide Titan
02-09-09, 10:05 PM
thats great news for Presto and the Titans :)