PDA

View Full Version : George Hotel's goldmine

DIEHARD
03-12-05, 07:39 AM
Tucked away in the basement of the famous George Hotel in Huddersfield lies what has become a rugby league goldmine.

The Gillette Rugby League Heritage Centre was only opened on August 30 this year and is fast gaining a reputation as a mecca for fans of the sport.

That's not surprising given the fact that the George was the birthplace of rugby league, with the historic meeting taking place in the hotel on August 30, 1895.

But while the George is the obvious place to house such a centre, which is the brainchild of Sky TV presenter Mike Stephenson who has donated his entire personal collection to the project, steps are being taken to increase awareness in it.

It is hoped extra signs will be placed both inside and outside the hotel to direct the public straight to the centre, so they can see for themselves just what it has to offer.

And, in the view of centre manager Sam Morton, that's a lot!

"I'm proud to manage what is a fantastic attraction and one that I'm sure will become extremely popular," said Morton.

"Because the centre has only been opened for a short space of time, the demand has not been too great.

"But those who have been tell us they think the centre is fantastic, and that for any rugby league fan a visit is a must.

"In the past couple of weeks, we've welcomed the Tri-Nations squads from Australia and New Zealand, and the players absolutely loved it.

"I've also shown RFL executive chairman Richard Lewis around here and he, too, was amazed with how much rugby league information there was.

"Every era of the game is covered and we've got some priceless exhibits on show. The centre is something rugby league fans shouldn't miss."

Huddersfield Daily Examiner

DIEHARD
03-12-05, 07:40 AM
It is a dream of mine to visit the George Hotel and especially the new Gillette Rugby League Heritage Centre.

Hopefully the ARL's plan for a hall of fame/museum, go ahead and we, as well as international visitors can also enjoy our historical centre in time for the World Cup.