PDA

View Full Version : Friends reunion in Titans Elite Squad

DIEHARD
02-12-05, 04:50 PM
Friends reunion in Titans Elite Squad

http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/DSC00132.JPG

Friends Mitchell Herlihy and Matthew Francis - separated when their respective football scholarships took them to different schools - will play together again in the Gold Coast Titans Elite Academy.

The pair attended school at AB Patterson College until Mitchell won a scholarship with TSS playing Rugby Union and Matthew won a scholarship at Keebra High playing Rugby League.

18 year old Francis was a standout this season and was voted 2005 Burleigh Bears player of the year across all grades including Queensland Cup while playing Hooker for Burleigh Colts and the Mixwell Cup competition.

Francis said, ?I am really happy, actually a bit stunned about being selected. It?s going to be a great experience especially working under John Cartwright and Scott Sattler. I had offers from the West Tigers to move to Sydney but it is great to be able to live here on the Gold Coast and concentrate on trying to make the grade for the Gold Coast Titans. As far as Mitchell goes it will help having someone there I know and I am looking forward to catching up with him?.

http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/DSC00135.JPG

17 year old Herlihy played for the TSS first 15 and was selected in the national identification squad for schoolboy rugby union this year.

Herlihy said, ?It?s a great opportunity to get some great coaching and further my skills and hopefully make it to the top level. I?ve grown up watching league and I am expecting the transition to League to be a little tough for the first couple of games but I should be able to adjust pretty easily. It?s (playing rugby league) something that I?ve thought about and the Titans being put in the NRL has been the catalyst for the move from Rugby Union.?

The pair has attracted the attention of Titans Football manager Scott Sattler who believes they are a very talented acquisition for the Elite Academy for different reasons.

Sattler said, "Mitchell comes from a strong Rugby League background and watching him play I feel he was always going to be more suited to the Rugby League code. Mitchell?s a robust speedy centre in the same mould of Kangaroo and New South Wales State of Origin rep Matt Cooper. On Matthew Francis - to sign a player who was voted the player of entire Burleigh Bears club speaks volumes of his ability. It was imperative that we keep Matthew on the Gold Coast. He?s been part of a very good system at Keebra Park and to lose him to Sydney would have been tragic.?

http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/DSC00137.JPG
Sattler is excited about the way the elite Academy is taking shape with 27 players already named in the squad. Their first training camp kicks off on Sunday at Bond University

Sattler said, ?The opportunity that the elite squad presents our juniors is now becoming evident. This is the first of many camps that will give these kids a good idea of what expectations are needed to make it into the NRL.?

Titans head coach John Cartwright for at least the next 12 months. This will be an experience no player of their age in the NRL will have?

Source: Titans.com.au

DIEHARD
02-12-05, 04:54 PM
Good to see some local boys staying on to try to win a spot in the Titans to represent their region. They both look like promising players, we might be looking at some Titans first graders come 2007. Francis winning Burleigh's player of the year is a massive feat.

Also great to win one back from union.

I also love the Titans polo shirts, nice, simple and classy.

Coaster
02-12-05, 09:07 PM
I wonder if Mitchell Herlihy is the son of my (and Scott Sattler) former teacher at Coombabah HS?

Mr Herlihy was at the time Australian school boy coach.