PDA

View Full Version : Allegations Queensland players took home-made party drug on Origin III eve

titanstattman
24-07-09, 12:27 PM
Explosive claims have emerged from the ruins of Queensland's failed bid for a State of Origin clean sweep, with allegations some players were dabbling in a home-made party drug made by mixing a prescription sleeping tablet with the energy drink Red Bull.

As the dust settled on NSW's spiteful 28-16 win at Suncorp Stadium, stories began to emerge about the party-time approach of some players in the build-up to the match.

Maroons coach Mal Meninga is reportedly furious at the lack of professionalism of some of his charges and will, with team manager Steve Walters, present a full debrief on the series to Queensland Rugby League boss Ross Livermore.

Despite the stern warning issued to the players following Nate Myles's disgraceful performance at a Central Coast hotel (which resulted in him being suspended by the NRL for six weeks), it has been reported a group of players caught taxis to Surfers Paradise after the Monday night team dinner and did not return to camp until the early hours of the morning.

So lax was the approach of some players, it is understood the Maroons' final training session on Origin eve was a disaster as squad members struggled to shake off the effects of a week in which they burnt the candle at both ends.

However, while speculation of all-night drinking sessions are hardly new to Origin football, which has long enjoyed stories of famed bonding sessions, the suggestion some players were mixing high-caffeine drink Red Bull with insomnia drug Stilnox as a party supplement is cause for alarm.

Stilnox, found in the New York apartment of actor Heath Ledger when he died last year of a prescription drug overdose, has a similar effect to cocaine and other party drugs when it is combined with alcohol or energy drinks such as Red Bull.

While to date officials have publicly played down rumours surrounding some of the Maroons squad, it is understood several clubs have expressed concerns about what went on. Officials from three clubs said they were aware of allegations some players were using Stilnox in the lead-up to Origin III.

Inquiries made by The Australian newspaper on Thursday revealed the dangerous combination of Stilnox and Red Bull is in vogue with professional footballers across all codes.

By combining Stilnox and Red Bull, footballers avoid the adverse effects of heavy alcohol intake and escape the ramifications of a positive drug test. A representative of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority confirmed Stilnox was not on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list.

President of the Queensland branch of the Pharmacy Guild of Australia Tim Logan said taking Stilnox with alcohol or some other concoction was fraught with danger.

"Because of its fairly strong (psychogenic) effects it can (be), and has been, abused by people," Logan said.

"But as I said it is an extremely dangerous practice and there are numerous reports of people displaying bizarre, dangerous and even life-threatening behaviour when it is taken incorrectly or in excess or, as I said, in a manner other than the one it is designed for."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was unaware of allegations some Queensland players had used Stilnox in the lead-up to Origin III. However, he said he was monitoring the QRL's investigation into the camp.

"We have no evidence of that but understand the QRL is looking into the entire week," Gallop said.

"It's not a banned substance but it's a concern for health reasons."

Two years ago, in the wake of Andrew Johns' drug confession, it emerged players across the NRL were experimenting with Stilnox. At the time, it was reported the players were mixing sleeping pills with Red Bull and alcohol.

However, the suggestion it occurred in the lead-up to an Origin game has the potential to leave a stain on the game. It also threatens to take some of the gloss off the Maroons' historic series win, their fourth in succession.

Livermore on Thursday insisted he had received no complaints from club officials and called on any with concerns to contact him.

Told of the alarming claims of some players using Stilnox as a stimulant, Livermore said: "I haven't heard any of that.

"Whoever you're hearing this from, tell them to ring us."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said he was also unaware of the allegations, but he expected the QRL to report any issues that may have emanated from camp.

"The only thing I can say is that I would expect the ARL would be on top of any issues with their team," Carr said.

"As I haven't heard anything from them, I have no reason to think there's an issue. One way or the other it's in the hands of the QRL. We will wait to hear from them."

www.foxsports.com.au

Cowboy Titan
24-07-09, 01:22 PM
If it's not illegal, where's the problem. Yes they should have been home in bed but they weren't breaking any laws.

Steve
24-07-09, 01:41 PM
If it's not illegal, where's the problem. Yes they should have been home in bed but they weren't breaking any laws.

I imagine something to do with bringing the game into disrepute.

You don't want your kids thinking, "hey.. if it's good enough for Locky it's good enough for me!" then ending up more like Heath Ledger.

Matty Johns lost his job for doing something not illegal... it doesn't matter in rugby league it seems.

Coaster
24-07-09, 03:39 PM
Is there ever a week that we dont have to defend against the media?

Players going out and not drinking alcohol, oh the shame

Steelers
24-07-09, 03:59 PM
So League players take this 'imitation cocaine' and get absolutely slammed by the media, while a number of AFL players get caught snorting the hard stuff and it's swpet under the carpet..?

The media are worthless... I don't know why they have such influence over the population.

Hoppy2007Dragons
24-07-09, 04:02 PM
Might explain Hodges aggravated state!!!!!!! :D

Paul
24-07-09, 04:12 PM
Funny the response in this thread, if it were nsw players this would read a totally different way.

I was talking to someone today who knows quite a few top/elete nrl players and it's apparantly been going on for years. The drug mixed with red bull and alcohol makes you hallucinate. I was told a certain player would do weird things like start cooing random things at 3am then wake up in the mornng with his stove on and no recollection of doing it

not illegal but Certainly dangerous and not a good look at all on the game at all

Adelaide Titan
24-07-09, 04:35 PM
the media will find any excuse to get rugby league players in trouble. it doesnt see, so hard to do anymore with all the crap thats happened this year with alcohol etc

Steelers
24-07-09, 05:10 PM
Funny the response in this thread, if it were nsw players this would read a totally different way.

My opinion wouldn't change. I'm not saying that these players aren't in the wrong... What they are doing is stupid and they don't deserve to be such superstars if they are going to risk throwing their life away for a thrill. I just don't like it how AFL players, in fact players from all other codes, seem to get away with alot less scrutiny.

Adelaide Titan
24-07-09, 05:33 PM
I am an afl fan but it's true that they do get away with more. Soccer is a bit more stricter as players face court (u may have seen gerrard in england). And some players have been locked up like newcastle united joey barton.

GOATUS
28-07-09, 05:19 PM
Heard on the news today no evidence found to suggest they did take home made drugs just 2 players were found out staying up to late early in the week leading to game 3 but i guess u cant trust the QRL either cause they are just as corrupt as the broncos:) :)

Paul
28-07-09, 05:24 PM
Heard on the news today no evidence found to suggest they did take home made drugs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PWsyVBvNUGU/R1yPn_4-56I/AAAAAAAAAj8/_Je01Isbw-E/S300/sign%2Bsweep%2Bunder%2Brug.jpg

GOATUS
28-07-09, 05:55 PM
LOL paul nice!!!!!

TITAN PETE
29-07-09, 02:29 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PWsyVBvNUGU/R1yPn_4-56I/AAAAAAAAAj8/_Je01Isbw-E/S300/sign%2Bsweep%2Bunder%2Brug.jpg

Looks like they've swept half of the problem to GFL :D

dee13
29-07-09, 03:51 PM
At the end of the day, the people involved are senior representative players who should realise that their actions are monitored everywhere they go. They influence their young fans whether they realise it or not. They are looked upon as heroes and role models by those fans and should act in a manner accordingly.

JT is a senior player and is seen as one of the greatest players in the world. He is also of indigenous heritage. You don't see Preston Campbell running around making an ass of himself. Preston is a highly respected member of the community and the indigenous community across Australia, solely because of the way he conducts himself. Why can't JT conduct himself with some dignity and pride.

kwigibo
29-07-09, 04:23 PM
It was just a News Limited beatup. Watch The Back Page on foxsportsnews or read the sports opinions in any of their papers, the bias against Rugby League is taken to absurd levels. When I first heard people complaining about this bias I thought they were just paranoid, but watch and read, it's hard not to notice.

Watching The Back Page last night they spent 15 minutes gushing over AFL, some player I'd not heard of retiring being the last remaining from the '96 premiers like that's important, then they took a minute to have a dig at a woman who commentated on a couple of televised AFL games, then went on and on about the crowds that weekend. Apparently it was almost the best attended round ever, but for a game in Canberra. When Billy Birmingham commented on the smallness of that crowd the victorian panelist went at him for a full minute like he had just called his mother a whore. Then on to league, QRL says it's unsubstantiated, the other panelist goes on and on about how that just proves it then, says it's true it's true, but covers his **** from legal recourse by going on about how it's true that people do this and is then vague enough that he can't get called on for making **** up.

It's News Limited, see how little regard they have for actual journalism with the toxic detritus they spout on Fox News and think about whether they'd stoop to agendas in sports journalism. It's order from on high, any editorial has to jive with their plans. Right now they want to drive down the price of the upcoming NRL TV deal, since they control cable sports the other media won't/can't bid higher. Or maybe Rupert's just still pissed he didn't manage to kill/control the game back in the 90's.

When that guy from Carlton said his team paid off a bunch of alleged sexual assault victims, what happened. News Limited at least went after him as though he were wrong for bringing it up or had been just making it up and calling him a crazy old liar anyway. Imagine a former ceo/president of an NRL club said the same thing, and tell me the media would have reacted the same way.

This QRL mess is designed to split league fans anyway, it's a way of having a dig at the game and getting half it's base to agree with you because "those maroons are all deviants and druggos, eh". And then magically Western Sydney will love AFL more than life itself. I never said it was a good plan.

In all seriousness, it doesn't bother me that much because it really isn't that good a plan, and none too subtle lately. It's darkly amusing to watch at least.

DIEHARD
29-07-09, 04:40 PM
There is a massive media bias against rugby league. And it stinks!

AFL and other codes suffer instances just as awful but they are swept under the carpet. And the Melbourne media are complicid in it. The Sydney media on the other hand are always looking to take a chunk out of rugby league.

If you think the Back Page is bias, make sure you don't watch The Offsiders on ABC on Sundays. It's a free for all. God bless Roy Masters when he is on though, he is a rugby league champion.

Coaster
29-07-09, 04:45 PM
The problem is, we here on the GC and Western Sydney are the front lines, even if most don't know it, and the more negative press RL gets the shaker our strong hold is. I hate seeing fans of our own game, giving these 2 bit journos ammunition to use against us, they do nothing but read these boards 24/7 looking for this crap, and they write about it as if true with no FACTS.

make no mistake the AFL are waging war against us the Titans, we are the weakest link in the NRL chain (due to past teams, and age of current team) and they are pulling out all stops, to make there Gazas the number 1 code here.

For example look at the amount of articles written about this garbage about Sleeping pills and RedBull, Neither are illegal yet, every paper in the country have had there say, they ripped League apart on the backpage as you said, and you would think to the normal person this is a League only incident right?

Did you hear about the 12 AFL players that got caught on illegal drugs? of course not, this does not make the news.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25551457-5005401,00.html

TWELVE AFL players tested positive for illicit drugs last year - including two who were caught twice - according to figures released by the league today.
The two players who failed two tests are now among a group of seven who are on two strikes.

AFL players are named and can be suspended for up to 18 games if they test positive three times to illicit drugs during a four-year period.

AFL football operations general manager Adrian Anderson said the League was encouraged by the results, as for the first time since the AFL introduced its policy, the number of positive tests had fallen one per cent.

TITAN PETE
29-07-09, 08:25 PM
Did you hear about the 12 AFL players that got caught on illegal drugs? of course not, this does not make the news.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25551457-5005401,00.html

You gotta love their favorite Rule , "3 Strikes & your Out" , so you can get busted for Speed then Coke but be carefull u don't get caught when u have a crack at Smack :ugh:

If you are caught doing any of these u should be named,shamed & Jailed , Farken Wankers :mad:

kwigibo
29-07-09, 08:43 PM
There is a massive media bias against rugby league. And it stinks!

AFL and other codes suffer instances just as awful but they are swept under the carpet. And the Melbourne media are complicid in it. The Sydney media on the other hand are always looking to take a chunk out of rugby league.

If you think the Back Page is bias, make sure you don't watch The Offsiders on ABC on Sundays. It's a free for all. God bless Roy Masters when he is on though, he is a rugby league champion.

I know about the offsiders, it's a bit different being the abc, but they have commercial journalists on it, pushing agendas on our public network. When people complained about the bias their form letter tries to argue that their criticism of that Carlton guy and the rape payoffs counts as balance, when it's the exact freaking opposite thing and counts against balance.