PDA

View Full Version : Karmichael Hunt could change his mind about a move to rugby

titanstattman
19-07-09, 10:27 AM
Brisbane Broncos have cast doubts over whether representative star Karmichael Hunt will walk out on rugby league and play rugby union in Europe or Japan.

Speculation about Hunt's playing future has been roaring since it became known big-spending Japanese and European clubs may be interested in signing him. Hunt has been disillusioned with life in Brisbane since his involvement in a nightclub investigation with two other Broncos last September.

The Broncos withdrew an offer to him earlier this year which would have made him the equal-highest paid player at the club alongside skipper Darren Lockyer.

Former Wallabies mentor Eddie Jones was reportedly lining up some massive rugby deals which included a stint in Italy or France at the end of the NRL season before playing in Japan, possibly for the wealthy Suntory club of which Jones is coaching director.

However it's believed some of the lavish deals may have fallen through, possibly forcing Hunt to re-think his future. Hunt said in an interview this month heading overseas "appealed" to him and his girlfriend Emma.

However he did not want to take the focus off this week's State of Origin game three by announcing his decision. Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen, who spoke to Lockyer about his future on Thursday, said Hunt had not told the club what he was doing.

"Karmichael hasn't confirmed anything," Cullen said on Friday.

"There has been newspaper stories strongly indicating he is (going overseas) but I've heard other stories that suggest perhaps he's not. "The possibilities would be there but whether he has had a change of mind," Cullen said.

"Karmichael was in a different space with himself earlier in the year about what he wanted to do. They may have changed over time as things settled down and he's had a fairly good season. I've heard a few stories that might have indicated the kinds of things spoken about may not come to fruition."

www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
19-07-09, 05:34 PM
That bloody Eddie Jones buzzes around like a fly on any speculation about cross code departures. In fact he encourages and promotes it, the bloke can't write an article without the words "rugby league".

The Broncos would miss Hunt and I think anyone defecting to union is making a mistake. While I don't rate him highly, he is a tough player and a great utility. :)

I hope he stays.