PDA

View Full Version : Make Meyers a Maroon again: Luke Bailey

TITAN PETE
30-06-09, 08:40 PM
NSW prop Luke Bailey has urged Queensland selectors to seriously consider re-igniting Brad Meyers's State of Origin career eight years after he helped an inexperienced Maroons rebound from a series whitewash in 2001.

Queensland selectors have to find replacements for injured front-row duo Petero Civoniceva (toe) and Ben Hannant (knee) for the third Origin game in Brisbane on July 15.

The Titans co-captain, who could be an outside chance to play for NSW, has no doubts Meyers is close to form which earned him Origin and Test selection from the Broncos in 2001.

"I think he should get a start," said Bailey, who despite being out with an arm injury may get a recall with NSW short of props.

"At club level, individually he's probably been the form forwards of the competition, I think.

"He's played there before, he knows what needs to be done and he's been our best player."

Meyers was only 21 when he played all three Origin games in 2001 when Queensland came back from losing 3-0 to NSW the previous year.

The red-haired front-rower, who played 100 games for the Broncos and 45 for the Bradford Bulls in the UK before linking with the Titans, has been in strong form this season with the Gold Coast sharing the NRL premiership lead and unbeaten at Skilled Park.

With Civoniceva and Hannant unavailable through injury, Maroons selectors are facing a selection dilemma for the first time.

Matt Scott, Queensland's 18th man for the first Origin game, his Cowboys teammate Carl Webb, Canberra giant Dave Shillington and out-of-favour Bronco Dave Taylor will come under consideration for selection.

Queensland have the series safely locked up at 2-0 following last week's history-making 24-14 win in Sydney and want to finish the job by inflicting their first series whitewash since Paul Vautin's no-names won 3-0 in 1995.

The hurdle for Meyers may be that he is 29.

Selectors could be more likely to want to blood a younger player with a view to the impending retirements of Civoniceva (32) and Steve Price (35) who've played 50 Origins between them.

TITAN PETE
30-06-09, 08:45 PM
I love the Bull but being a Titans fan i'm happy if Big Red is over looked for game 3 :?) , he along with Chalky have been the 2 form forwards this year for us but if he does get picked he'll deserve it :thumbsup:

Paul
30-06-09, 08:56 PM
I'm really selfish when it comes to rep games. I feel some of our players are more than deserving of making teams or being considered but I'm always quietly very happy when we have hardly anybody picked because the titans benefit and thats the most important thing

Club football>rep football for me

Adelaide Titan
30-06-09, 09:17 PM
Recent form suggests he deserves to play Origin