PDA

View Full Version : Hagan heads up Parramatta River to test the waters with Eels

Teegy
02-12-05, 08:24 AM
from SMH.com.au

THE chances of Michael Hagan coaching Parramatta in 2007 are expected to become a lot clearer after a meeting with the Eels tomorrow.

Parramatta have identified Hagan as their preferred option as coach after Brian Smith's coaching contract expires at the end of next season.

It recently emerged that Smith would not be offered a new deal and that the club was keen to appoint a successor before next season began.

Hagan's manager, Peter Tracey, last night confirmed the meeting with the Eels.

Hagan will continue to coach Newcastle next season - the final year of his contract. He has made it clear he would like to continue coaching the Knights beyond 2006 but management at Newcastle says it will not review the coaching position until midway through next season.

That means if Parramatta offer Hagan a contract he will have to make a decision on that well ahead of Newcastle holding their review.

Tracey said Hagan was interested to find out what the Eels had in mind, while at the same time remained interested in continuing to coach the Knights beyond next year.

"We are meeting with Parramatta on Saturday, and while I'm not sure how many representatives will be there from the club, I would assume that Denis Fitzgerald [Parramatta chief executive] will be there," Tracey said.

"I think things are at too early a stage to expect anything dramatic to happen at the meeting but we would obviously like to find out where the club is coming from and what their level of interest is in Michael.

"I'm sure Michael will be asking a few questions as well, but at the same time he is still certainly looking at Newcastle as a possibility beyond next year."

Asked if he wished to comment on the Hagan situation, Fitzgerald replied: "I've got no comment to make."

Eel 33
03-12-05, 02:56 PM
Lets just see what happens aye.

Dunno if it was here or somewhere else i heard that Parra are using Michael Hagan as a smokescreen to get Graham Murray from Townsville. :!:

Either way, i'd be happy with either coach.

Ipswich Fan
03-12-05, 04:22 PM
I'd prefer Murray out of the two but i'd prefer Jason Taylor over both of them.

titans_fanatic
03-12-05, 05:04 PM
I think jason taylor is the best option for parra